Audio: Same Habs lineup vs. Panthers tonight

The Canadiens take on the Florida Panthers at the Bell Centre tonight, aiming to run their winning streak to three games and carry some momentum into Washington on Thursday.

Head coach Guy Carbonneau will use the same lineup as he used against Toronto on Saturday. Which means that Guillaume Latendresse remains in the press box.

Captain Saku Koivu, forward Alex Kovalev and defenceman Roman Hamrlik didn’t take part in the morning skate; Carbonneau wants them rested for the game and the stretch of holiday-season games to come.

Some audio gathered after this morning’s pre-game skate:

Relative greybeard Mathieu Dandenault on how young players are making their presence felt on the Canadiens this season. Clip runs 1:08.

Forward Michael Ryder on his ongoing work to emerge from the puzzling slump that’s seen him score just three goals thus far. Clip runs 1:34.

Alternate captain Christopher Higgins on the youth movement, momentum, leadership and more. Clip runs 8:25.

Head coach Guy Carbonneau discusses his lineup for tonight, including Latendresse’s unhappiness at not playing. In French, clip running 2:39. Then in English, including comment on goalies Carey Price and Cristobal Huet and the ugly word "controversy," clip running 4:29.

1. Cams Habs says:

Epic Blunder? I don’t think so at all. Bob prioritized and made a great move to ship Rivet out. I would have preferred to deal Sheldon, however, because you just knew he would be knocking at the door of a 5 and 5 contract which is what he basically got in Oil country.

Bob was very wise in signing Andrei ahead of Craig and Sheldon. He decided to trade Craig, and as a result got a great return in Gorges and Max Pacioretty in the first round (coming to a local World Junior Championship near you). He obviously made an effort to sign Sheldon back, but Shelly had his way and skipped town. So, Bob, ever cool, calm and collected, signs Roman who has played marvelous.

I would much rather have Roman then Souray or any other offensive D-Man right now, and thats what a Souray trade would have given us. We are a lot more stable 5v5 and Roman has a ton to do with it (See +7 rating and rock solid defensive zone play).

I highly doubt we will be trading Huet anytime soon. The goalie market is still quite small, with very few teams interesting in a new F/T starter. Although I do agree with you, if someone comes knocking about either Huet or Ryder or both, I’m ready to pull the switch on it. Carey can develop into a great goalie as soon as next year, maybe two years, and by then our current youth will hopefully be reaching their potential, such as the Big and Mini Tits, Higgins, Plekanec, etc. I don’t really want to see anybody other than Ryder or Huet packing town, unless it is Smolinski; we just have too much potential in our young guys to send them away for a Marleau who might fall on his face.

2. habsfan_56 says:

off topic but do the habs come on fm radio?
    i know they are on 800 AM but i got class tonight and plan on listening to the game

3. Habsrule1 says:

I agree that we should probably trade them, but not that not trading Souray was “an epic blunder”. If we had traded him, and tanked, people would have been all over Gainey, because we had nobody to step in for Souray. If we had made the playoffs with Souray’s help, Gainey would have been called a genius because he held on to him. The difference now is that we have the relief. If we trade either Ryder ot Huet, we have capable replacements.

Go Habs Go!!

Habsrule

4. NightRyder says:

There are two players I’d love to see play out of their minds for the next couple of months – Ryder and Huet.

Why? Because they are our two most tradeable assets – and NOT part of the future, so they MUST be moved by the deadline (see: not dealing Souray, Sheldon last year as an epic blunder).

As long as the powers that be understand this, and don’t fall in love with them after a few good games, we should be able to add something significant that will help us move forward.

5. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

do you have quicktime installed?

you need to associate your MP3 extension with either quicktime
    or windows media.

I would install quicktime…its free.

———
    until the problem in my picture is solved…we will not be Champions.
    Delenda Est Torontium….

6. Proudones says:

Am I the only one who is unable to get the audio clips?
    Every single time I’ve tried, I get an “error on page” and no audio.
    Can anyone please help?
    Thanks

7. habfan53 says:

A little change.
    Here in Toronto they have been reporting that broadcaster
    Don Chevrier passed away yesterday.
    I seem to remember that he did the first Expos game for CBC in ’69
    But no matter what sport He called he always made it exciting.

8. Fer_hab says:

Hey WOPS great find. I actually got goosebumps reading that one.

BTW great inerviews today Stubber

9. habscout says:

Thanks for posting these, and other, audio clips. The details in these clips augment very well the stories found in Habsinsideout.com and the Habs section of the Montreal Gazette. I find they add more depth to the stories.

10. johnnyhab says:

A little off topic but earlier today I found a great article on Price at http://www.theforthperiod.com it’s a great read. I think it tells how most of Habland was feeling when price was drafted…don’t worry Dave Stubbs your still the best!

11. Proudones says:

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
    I re-installed Quicktime but still getting the same “Error on page” message. I have no idea what else to do.
    Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

12. J.T. says:

Go Ryder! This could be his last chance to get on the scoreboard before he’s replaced by Gui for a long, long time.

13. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

WOW…we have a coach here…he is the real deal.

Can we now overlook all the line shifting that was done earlier?

As the crew becomes healthy, it will be interesting to see how Carb inserts them and who is sat.

Remember, in todays NHL…Chemistry is everything.

———
    until the problem in my picture is solved…we will not be Champions.
    Delenda Est Torontium….

14. nick says:

whoa… same lines! Is that a first this season?

15. kevrob says:

I am excited to see the same line-up. Lets hope they play with the same intensity as the last two games so that Carbo isn’t tempted to shift the lines. This may be the start of some consistency and more importantly some chemistry.

GO HABS GO

16. doug says:

thanks; great article.

17. Wops says:

A great articl on Carey Price

_______________________________________
    CH is for Chris Higgins

18. Moey says:

Good read on the Iceman.

Could you imagine if we had have selected Bobby Ryan instead of Price? Just what we need, another Ryan who can’t skate. And then there’s Pouliot. It’s still very early in the game but he’s starting to show signs of being a bust. It’s a fine line.

The Original 24 Cups

20. joe-hab-nuno says:

hoping it the same case, i’ve been hoping for yrs but i can’t recall a game against Florida we’re it is wide open. Actually the last time we played them we were on fire, remember having alot of shots for, but they we’re shooting the puck on Vakoun

21. joe-hab-nuno says:

it always a low scoring gam against florida, snooze fest.

22. Corio says:

Usually is against Toronto as well but look what happened! If we play like we did against Toronto we will skate right over Florida!

23. Sbah Reverof says:

I would love for Ryder to come out of his slump as well; he’s obviously frustrated by it. We haven’t heard a bad word from him this whole time about line changes or sitting out games. He’s been working very hard, and he’s a genuinely nice fellow who deserves to finally get back in the game.
    Let’s hope that by not changing the line-up, we will finally crack the Florida secret code like we’ve done to Toronto.
    Go Habs!

24. Canus says:

have you seen Eastern Promises with Viggo? It’s a great movie

25. mjames says:

I agree with you. Ryder has acted as a true professional. It would be supper if Ryder has a hat trick with singles from K brothers. Oh yes and a shut out from Price. This is not intended to jinx them – just wishful thinking on my part.

mjames

26. doug says:

One of the messed up things about the three point games is that it’s screwed up one’s perception of when you’re over or under .500. Look at all the teams that are above .500 and how few are below. I looked into it and if you assume that 10% of games will go into overtime during the regular season, the “new .500″ is actually .525. Translated into an 82 game season, this means that for you to just be “average” – you need to be 4 games over .500 in the new NHL. It really screws with your perception of how your team is doing. . . four or five above .500 used to be good for a playoff spot but now I think it’s likely to be more like 8-10 games above .500. Same goes for points – 82-88 used to be in the ballpark but now it’s more like 92-96 to be at the bottom end.

27. Sakus Evil Twin says:

I’d love to see Ryder break out tonight, but Florida will not be the team it happens against. It’s going to be a tight, chippy 2-1 game with the Habs skating rings around the Panthers but no channels to shoot through…

Go Saku all the same – prove them all wrong.

I’ll be there cheering from the suprisingly expensive seats with the other dignified gentry!

28. WindsorHab-10 says:

Based on the team’s performance the last 2 games, I honestly don’t see this one being close at all. I believe the team will be ready.

29. joe-hab-nuno says:

Like that nickname “ICEMAN”
    alot better than “price is right”
    I actually liked it when he lost his cool at the end of,i think it was the Tampa bay shootout game. I even posted that it was a good sign, finally someone had shown some frustration in public for losing.

30. krob1000 says:

It has to evolve into the Priceman.

31. Sbah Reverof says:

ya, fantastic. just watched it last night. He’s a huge Habs fan, obviously.

32. joe-hab-nuno says:

We need Smart Dog for his prediction. Worked last time.

Where’s he anyways?