Audio: Prust wants to be part of exciting change with Habs

Brandon Prust

Brandon Prust, here in May with New York Rangers goaltender Henrik Lundqvist, is the newest Canadien.
Bruce Bennett, Getty Images Sport

Brandon Prust, the gritty new Canadien who today signed a four-year, $10-million contract, says he’s eager not to let Travis Moen and Ryan White be all the muscle on the Habs.

Prust spoke with hockey media from Montreal and New York on a teleconference tonight. Here’s the audio of that call.

• Late signings: After the UFA dust had settled, the Canadiens announced they have re-signed Mike Blunden and welcomes goaltender Cédrick Desjardins back to the CH family.

1. ooder says:

very very excited with these signings… not to expensive and exactly what the habs need.. nice to have a GM who is in touch with the reality of the NHL
    ——————
    The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

2. JayK-47 says:

I keep looking at the Habs roster and there’s some good looking options for the team.

Subtracting all the new contracts/about to be signed contracts and any (mostly) French players (LL, DD) from the list, the Habs possibly have 7 or 8 players who could be moved to upgrade the team.

As there is a new management team in place, I’ve added extra players who might not have been considered as assets before and divided the assets into three groups. I’ll call them… Cap Love, Good luck!, If we REALLY have to.

1. Cap Love/Scott Gomez: With the cap floor at $54M, 4 teams are $10M or more away from the minimum. If G-Love shows up to camp in shape, he could be moved as his NTC can only name 3 teams. Ha-ha!

2. Good Luck!/Kaberle, Weber, Bourque. The fans haven’t really shown these guys much love and at the same time they all came into a tough situation where it’d be hard for anyone to succeed. Too bad! Good bye! Good luck!

3. If we REALLY have to/Plekanec, Markov, Gorges, Gionta. This is a tough bunch to say goodbye to. Really. They’re all skilled troopers who play hard and don’t take shifts off. But no one is going to take someone from group 2 above unless someone from group 3 is included. Except Nashville who should trade Shea Weber for Gomez, Kaberle and a 2nd round pick of course.

I could add group 4: The prospects but, nyah. A couple deals could be made with various mixes of the above to acquire a big talent and the best part is the Habs have 3 months to let other GM’s shoot themselves in the foot or dig a cap space grave. I’m just gonna sit back and watch now. Heh-heh-heh.

3. Boomer says:

I don’t think we’ll be adressing our scoring needs through free agent signings. I think it will be through trades…
    Oh by the way not to stir the rumour mills or anything but Evander Kane was in Montreal this long weekend and was hanging out with PK (Twitter). He wants out of winnipeg…obviously likes Mtl… and we need a left winger that can score… A change of scene might be good for the kid. Wonder what the jets would be looking for in a trade if he refuses to re-sign with winnipeg (which is the current rumour).

Occupation: Professional Hedonist

4. Marc10 says:

RE: The Armstrong signing.

It’s a nice gamble and it’s pretty cheap to have him on while we wait for the kids to show up.

And, as a previous poster mentioned, I like that TO pays him $1M to play against them 8 times a year (provided he stays healthy…)

I hope he gets a chance to lean into Grabovski or Komi on one of his first shifts. That would be a great way to make a bunch of friends in Montreal.

5. Un Canadien errant says:

Brian Burke is being blindly obstinate in his insistence that he doesn’t need to be in the office on July first, even though as he points out that he’s reachable by phone. Last year he was in Afghanistan visiting Canadian troops. This year he decided to march in a Gay Pride parade.

There are other opportunities to honour his son, 364 other days of the year. If you’re a NHL GM you can miss July 1 to attend the funeral of your son, or the birth of your son. You cannot miss July 1 to go to Afghanistan or march in a parade, however worthwhile the cause, cellphone with full bars or not.

An employer has the right to schedule their staff when they need to as suits the demands of the business. If they have a large enough complement of staff they are required to make reasonable accommodation for individual members’ needs (religious holidays, etc.) If however these needs conflict too much with the needs of the business and cannot be accommodated the employer can choose to not hire someone, or terminate their employment.

When it comes to a highly paid executive, there is an expectation that they will be available when necessary, whether that be fiscal year end, inventory, etc. For an NHL executive like Brian Burke, this expectation covers days like the NHL draft and July 1. If I’m the employer of this executive, and he insists that he’s not doing anything wrong by being away on July 1, and especially if the organization does poorly in free agency, and on the ice in general, I have to reconsider whether I want to employ this person.

———————————————————————–
    June 22: Alex Galchenyuk [x]
    June 23: Stefan Matteau, Mike Matheson, Martin Frk, Brandon Whitney
    June 2429: Travis Moen [x]
    June 2627: Mathieu Darche
    June 26: Ryan White
    June 30: Alexei Emelin
    July 1: P.A. Parenteau, Taylor Pyatt
    July 3: Shane O’Brien
    July 5: Carey Price
    July 9: P.K. Subban

• Lizardking89 says:

I agree wholeheartedly. He should be in the office doing his job. It also pisses me off to no end they decided to hold their parade on Canada day. They want to be respected and not discriminated against but yet they hold their parade on an important national holiday. Talk about hypocrisy

• alwayssunny says:

“They” are us. Makes me wonder why you are so “pissed off”. Did “they” make you attend “their” parade? Are there rules about Canada Day that I’m not aware of? “They want to be respected and not discriminated against” – isn’t that a given in Canada? Does having a celebration forfeit that right? I’m not sure why you are so angry.

• boing007 says:

They held their parade on the same day in order to achieve maximum national exposure. Was it good strategy or a blatant attempt at oneupmanship?

Richard R
        Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• Habsolutely says:

This blogger questions Burkes motives concerning the gay pride stuff.

• alwayssunny says:

yeah david Menzies. I just remembered why this website makes me embarrassed to be associated with other habs fans

• GrimJim says:

That article is myopic and wrong-headed. The premise that Burke is only supporting gay rights as a PR counter-attack to the bad press he received trying to get Don Cherry fired ignores the fact that Burke started publicly supporting gay right by marching in the 2009 Gay Pride parade. BTW that is a revised post. Menzies originally stated that it was Burke’s son Patrick that was gay and killed in a car crash (http://www.thefastertimes.com/hockey/2012/05/10/david-menzies-tragically-wrong-about-brian-burke-gay-rights-bullying/). Menzies wasn’t on the ball enough to do a simple google search to get his basic facts straight.
        Look Burke is a Leaf, a blowhard, and a GM who doesn’t deserve the lofty reverence that Leaf’s Nation holds for him (IMO) but if there is one thing that seems to be true about him (again IMO) it’s his dedication to his son and honouring that son by working for gay rights. Menzies is way way off base here.

• Cal says:

And we want Burke to be successful because….?

• wjc says:

As you should/probably already know, todays technology allows you to be mobile. You are not stuck to the phone anymore. You can be instantly brought up to date on any happenings anywhere in the world in an instant.

Can’t see not being aware of this, or is it more fun to pretend ignorance.

wjc

6. JayK-47 says:

No, the Habs did not add any goal scoring. What they did add are robust players who contribute ‘defense in depth’. This eliminates last years mistake of allowing the opponents to bruise the Habs over 60 minutes and eventually wear down Montreal to tie and than gain the lead. Now, the Habs can grind down opposing teams and throw fresh skilled players on the ice when it’s advantageous.

Last season Montreal had the worst winning % when scoring first, the only team under .500

• Marc10 says:

I would hope we’ve addressed our grit, depth and defensive liabilities with these signings.

Now we need to find a way to re-ignite the powerplay. Getting Markov back will help, but we’ll still be short a gun.

We need a scoring threat on the powerplay. PK isn’t that guy yet.

In the past when our powerplay was on fire we had:

- Souray
      - Kovy
      - Streit
      - MAB
      - Wiz

There aren’t any cannons left in UFA land to pick up, so that leaves us with Jagr.

I could see him slot in for Cole in Kovy’s office at the face-off circle to give the PP that option with DD down low by the net and Patches in front and on the far post. Markov and PK would be on point. That’s a decent bunch.

• JayK-47 says:

I think the Habs can help Nashville with Shea Weber the same way Carolina helped out Pittsburgh. And without Weber, the Preds are gonna have to REALLY reach to hit that cap floor…
        :D

• jols101 says:

Cole had the most PP goals on the team last year so taking him off the PP is not going to exactly help the situation.
        I think if Jagr signs we keep the DD line as the first PP unit and Pleks with Jagr and Gionta are the second unit.
        With a healthy Markov and Subban on the point. With Kaberle and Emelin being the second D pairing. I think Emelin has a lot more offensive upside then he showed last year…

• boing007 says:

Would have preferred Sami Salo over Bouillon to play in Montreal. Great point shot.

Richard R
        Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

7. Propwash says:

Just wanted to wish everyone a happy Canada Day!

I spent the afternoon and evening in Ottawa, and it was a great time. Everyone was proud to be a Canadian and we were all on the same page, it was a great vibe to be a part of. The fireworks were great too and I videoed them from the Gatineau side of the river. YouTube is processing the video and I will post the link to it when its done.

Cheers everyone!

_____________________________
    “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
    Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

8. third generation haber says:

I still believe we should offer Staubitz a 2 way contract. I don’t want anyone punking our prospects in the AHL, nor do I want young Tinordi having to fight full grown men this year. Yes Tinordi is big, but he hasn’t fought guys as big as Colton Orr.

j.p. murray

9. Clay says:

I get the impression that many are happy with the Armstrong signing…but if his hit on Letowski is any indication of his game, count me as one who doesn’t like it. There is a big difference between a tough player and a dirty player.

__________________________
    ☞ The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. ~ Richard Feynman ☜

10. Say Ash says:

Why did the Rags let Prust go if he’s such hot spit?

• alwayssunny says:

Because he was a free agent?

• Lizardking89 says:

He wanted to leave the Rangers they tried to resign him but he became a free agent.

• jols101 says:

I’m not to sure about that. I think he followed the money. If the Rangers had of made the same offer MTL did I am pretty sure he would have re-signed with them.

• Lizardking89 says:

I don’t think the Rangers offered him as much as we did but they did try to resign him. When it wasn’t apparent that he was going to resign they cut him loose.

• mark24 says:

Prust has a girlfriend who works in TV in the Montreal area. It played a huge factor in his decision to join the Habs. There’s obviously more to it than that but it was a factor.

11. Habies says:

Greetings from Myanmar!

A solid article about (a very solid) Prust from the NY Times after he turned heads in a NYR game against the Habies… http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/03/18/prust-ignites-rangers-in-win-over-montreal/
    A highlight is when Marc Staal says “he’s one of the toughest team-mates I’ve ever had”, jammed with Prospal’s comment that “He surprises me every game… and I think I speak for the whole team.”

From the monsoon,
    Matthew-

12. commandant says:

Now normally I’m the first guy to jump on Brian Burke, but the criticism he’s taken today is completely unfair. Check Damien Cox’s twitter feed to see some of the disgusting things said about him by Leaf fans for the fact he marched in the gay pride parade.

So for one day only… in defence of Brian Burke.

NHL Free Agency and Trade Analysis now.
    Team By Team Prospect Reports coming soon

• Clay says:

I’m in complete solidarity with you on this issue.

__________________________

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…Ben, if I was a Weeds’ fan I too would be at My wit’s end with Burke
      …this is all about perceptions and assumed priorities
      …to Me it is extremely frustrating and annoying this particular parade is held and competes with the purpose of Canada Day …on top of the understandable priority for a Toronto fan to see ‘their General’ at the wheel on a day of what to them is one of the most strategic opportunities to change the previously inept fortunes of a once proud team and organization
      …Canada Day should not be Gay Pride Day …a distinct alternative date for the Gay Pride Day is more appropriate
      …I believe Burke is torn on the issue as well, he likely preferring it was held at a date not conflicting with Canada Day and the importance of July 1st to the NHL …I admire Burke despite the flak caused by fan perceptions, that he remained resolute to his child’s memory
      …and there is no excuse for the blatant unacceptable homophobic language in the public domain caused by this
      …but the organizers of the Gay Pride Day should also know better of holding their event on Canada Day

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

• alwayssunny says:

I doubt Brian Burke is torn on “the issue” at all. I doubt he feels it is an issue. First of all it isn’t “Gay Pride Day”, they had a parade as part of Gay Pride Week. Did the Gay Pride parade “conflict” with your Canada Day celebration? Did it conflict with anyone’s? Why would anyone take issue with it?

• Lizardking89 says:

It’s disrespectful to plan their damn parade on Canada day when could have had it any time. If I was a Laff’s fan I would be pissed that my GM wasn’t in the office working. It just sends the wrong message If he wants to honor his son let him do it on his own time. Jeese if Bergevin did something like that there would be cries of protest here as well.

• alwayssunny says:

“If he wants to honor his son let him do it on his own time.”
            I’ll assume that is a joke and that you aren’t retarded.

• alwayssunny says:

No, I think if Bergevin did that, any sane person would understand.

• Aybara says:

This was a decent post until you slipped into the agenda mode. It isnèt gay pride day, itès their parade. It happens once a year, and they chose a long weekend… suck it up… no pun intended.

As a Canadian we need to respect everyone in the country. If their values clash with yours, well, turn the other cheek. This is how we create the best country in the world. Everyone is welcome!

• CharlieHodgeFan says:

I don’t know. Is it disrespectful to hockey fans for Canada to hold a holiday on NHL free agent day? Or for the NHL to hold a free agent frenzy on Canada Day? Or for Canada Day to be moving day? Gay Pride events seem to be happening all over the world, in some places at great risk to the participants.
        This is probably the only good thing Burke does in the entire year, and people are on him for it. If he was spotted having lunch with Harper, everyone would ‘understand’, but because he’s out of the office supporting equality, justice and the right to be respected, he’s an idiot?

• alwayssunny says:

I’ve got nothing but respect for Burke as a person. He has been so honourable in the wake of his sons death. I wouldn’t even dignify people who made those comments as fans of anything. They don’t reflect anything about the Leafs. There is hockey and there are rivalries and talking crap, but the line is drawn way before that. That’s just a few sick idiots on the internet, I wouldn’t pay any attention to them.

• Aybara says:

I will back Burke in this endeavour, insofar as he is a good person. As a hockey GM, this is a bad decision.
      this quote, is laced with double meanings.
      ÈLet’s be real here Leaf fans, it’s past time to stop criticizing Burke over the Pride Parade issue.È
      Leaf fans arenèt mad about Burke going to the pride parade, they are upset about an inability to work the FA market on july 1. While Burke may be able to communicate through ther parade, its nothing like sitting in an office and planning the whole day.
      I donèt deny that Burke has taken a courageous and important step with his decisions to walk in the parade, but the team needs their GM during the july 1 FA.

• commandant says:

He owns a cell phone.

He signed Komisarek while he was in Sweden.

He signed Connolly while he was in Afghanistan.

2 hours, in downtown toronto at the pride parade doesn’t stop him from “working the free agent market”

Its such a dumb criticism.

NHL Free Agency and Trade Analysis now.
        Team By Team Prospect Reports coming soon

• Marc10 says:

I completely understand why Burke would want to march. No issue there.

The timing for him sucks though. If you’re paying someone top dollar to be all over the draft and UFA day because those are two of the most important work days on the calendar… he should be all over that. It’s part of the job he signed up for.

He can support the cause in other ways and I would imagine his son/the community would understand that 1 July isn’t the best day for him to be out of the office.

• golesboys says:

110% in support of Brian Burke on this.

13. Habitant in Surrey says:

‘As Parise and Suter wait, the NHL’s payroll chasm widens’; by Jesse Spector, Sporting News: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/story/2012-07-01/nhl-free-agency-zach-parise-penguins-ryan-suter-red-wings-nhl-salary-cap

“For every good move made on Sunday, it seemed like there were at least two head-scratchers. Take the Colorado Avalanche, whose signing of 32-year-old stay-at-home defenseman Greg Zanon for two years and $4.5 million was offset by shakier investments on forwards John Mitchell at two years and $2.2 million, and P.A. Parenteau at four years and $16 million.

Mitchell had a nice season as a fourth-liner with the New York Rangers, but a team with as many holes as the Avalanche shouldn’t be spending seven figures on a fourth liner. Parenteau had a breakout season with the Islanders, but did so skating on a line with Matt Moulson and John Tavares—he would have been a better signing for a team more equipped to surround him with offensive talent.”

…as NHL teams and GMs fiscal insanity continues going into the likely strained negotiations for a new CBA, …Our Bergevin, so far, is one of the exceptions to the ‘madness’, by remaining fiscally disciplined and looking for ‘fiscal value’

…the type of Players added today can not be compared to the Suters and Parises among the UFAs, but They will provide the psychological and physical relief and confidence for Our smaller skilled Players to play to Their potential

…the lack of same wore Our less physical Players down through intimidation and inevitable psychological and physical exhaustion …these additions are very positive and exactly what the Doctor ordered

…Jagr; last year I was not enthusiastic to add Jagr because there were so many other holes previously described that IMO his signing would be a wasted investment, …but he will be a very good addition for this season, both for Pleks and Gionta, as well for an overall more robust and physical Team

…Therrien is still a burr in My saddle, but Bergevin seems to be doing most things right :)

_________________________________________________________
    Michel F.Therrien ???: HIS’ new Official Habs’ Fan Theme Song; Morrissey/The Smiths ‘Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now’: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfkvPnjb9hs
    _________________________________________________________
    HIO’s BC Odd Couple: UCe, the supercilious stickler; and HIS, the stubbornly relentless ‘schismatist’ :)
    _________________________________________________________
    What I WANT ! is an aircraft carrier at centre and nuclear destroyers on each wing going to the net like bats out of Hell !, …NO MORE rubber duckies !!!
    _________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

14. Un Canadien errant says:

Pierre McGuire, Marc Crawford, Alex Semin and Mark Gandler involved in mud-slinging match, with Mr. Gandler darkly mentioning he’d be speaking to his legal advisors. Love it.

I think we dodged a huge bullet there.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…should remind Gandler and Semin that Putin is not in power over here…McGuire and especially Crawford know of what they speak of Semin

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

• Lizardking89 says:

I think Mcguire and Crawford are right about Semin personally. I doubt much will come of this legally. It’s still pretty funny though. I don’t see how a bunch of TSN panelists will have any effect on what Semin will fetch on the market. Some stupid GM will overpay for him I’m sure.

• Marc10 says:

Calling him a ‘coach killer’ might have been a bit of a stretch…

But then again… I’ve never heard much good about the guy beyond his obvious skill set.

• jols101 says:

That was some harsh criticism but not unwarranted by any stretch of the imagination.

UCe, when you say, “I think we dodged a huge bullet there.” are you referring to not signing Semin or not hiring McGuire and Crawford ?

• Lizardking89 says:

All of the above?

• Clay says:

I don’t pretend to speak for UCe, but I got the impression he was referring to not hiring McGuire and/or Crawford.

Personally, I think a “TSN panel” should be a little more professional than that. I think they crossed the line, and what they say can have a real impact on his potential future earnings.

__________________________

• Un Canadien errant says:

I was thinking that they may have crossed the line, but then I also complain when their analysis is formulaic and so vague as to be worthless.

What Pierre McGuire and Marc Crawford should do is criticize a player’s performance, his behaviours, as opposed to his character. Use concrete examples, whether on the ice or off, to illustrate the problems with a certain player or coach.

I didn’t like all the attacks on Pierre Gauthier’s character last season, calling him names and making fun of him, that didn’t help at all I thought. Some of his decisions were puzzling, but there was always some justification. Too late I found out about the behaviours, the cookie rationing in Ottawa, and the Mike Cammalleri jersey story. François Gagnon told the anecdote of the player he was having a pleasant conversation with that was unrelated to hockey, only to have him stop abruptly, turn and leave when he saw Pierre Gauthier approaching, out of fear that the GM would dislike seeing him talk to a reporter.

All these incidents and anecdotes are fact, they help to evaluate a person’s job. They were very helpful in solidifying my impression that Mr. Gauthier was no longer entitled to stay on the job, a conclusion I’d drawn after the Tomas Kaberle trade.

Pierre McGuire and Marc Crawford should have relied on concrete examples like these to paint a picture of the man and how he performs as a player, instead of assassinating his character.

• rhino514 says:

What Francois Gagnon told is not a fact. It is very easy for a reporter of Gagnon´s ilk to make it seem that a player left the room because he was scared of Gauthier in the way that he words the anecdote. There could be a million reasons the player left the room, in fact it may not have happened at all. Such anecdotes should not “help” to evaluate a person´s job.
            P.S I did not like Gauthier, by the way. But it had to do with the moves he made and how he answered during interviews. Those are concrete, verifyable events.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I’m referring more to the Pierre McGuire non-hire. Is it just me or has he become more bombastic and erratic since then? I never thought ill of the man, just that he wasn’t the right choice for the role of Canadiens’ GM, but I’ve been finding him more hard to take, especially during the draft.

Marc Crawford I would have been more comfortable with as coach, if Patrick Roy didn’t get hired.

Alex Semin seems to be a big risk, and he won’t come at a discount, so I’m not interested at all. He looks good on paper, the stats look good, but I really don’t see how he fits in here.

Overall, I’m just glad we’re not caught up in any of this mess.

———————————————————————–
        June 22: Alex Galchenyuk [x]
        June 23: Stefan Matteau, Mike Matheson, Martin Frk, Brandon Whitney
        June 2429: Travis Moen [x]
        June 2627: Mathieu Darche
        June 26: Ryan White
        June 30: Alexei Emelin
        July 1: P.A. Parenteau, Taylor Pyatt
        July 3: Shane O’Brien
        July 5: Carey Price
        July 9: P.K. Subban

15. Marc10 says:

Big Trav was well taken care of by the Habs. Yes he could have earned more elsewhere, but it would have been ‘elsewhere’ and he didn’t want that. Good man.

With Prust, Armstrong, Cube, Blunden and White, he won’t be alone anymore in righting wrongs, so his hometown discount will give him a few pals to play with and really play his game.

Now we need to somehow replace the goal deficit AK and Cams departures created. Maybe Bourque 2.0 would do part of the job… but it’s a worry.

Jagr on the PP… That might be the ticket.

16. budaman says:

i like the moves MB made today see what he adds to the 2nd line in the days to come.

i would have to say that the worst news of the day is the jason garrison contract in vancouver. 6 years at 4.5 is crazy for a guy with one productive season in the show. the reason its bad news is because PK and his representatives now have a contract to build Pk’s on…mtl will be lucky if they get pk signed at 4 years 16 million…

Garrison in 2 years: 150 games- 21 goals- 51 points +4

Pk in 2 years: 158 games- 21 goals- 74 points +1

Seems like Mike Gillis just cost MB a few more dollars

• Un Canadien errant says:

The comparables are off though, in that P.K. will be on his second contract, while Mr. Garrison was a UFA. The Canadiens aren’t forced to ‘buy’ any UFA years off P.K., so the market value is different.

The Canucks are all in I guess, they’d lost out on Justin Schultz and also lost Sami Salo to the Lightning, they had him on the backburner expecting to sign Mr. Schultz. So now they all have to pay Kevin Bieksa, Alex Edler, Jason Garrison and Keith Ballard north of $4 million a season on the blue line. Keith Ballard is the one that really stings there, the guy is often a healthy scratch.

17. top-cat says:

Can some one explain how Blunden can move to Hamilton during his two way contract. (D’arche as well while you are at it). Do they have to clear waivers? Why did it not work for (was it?) Jeff Woywitka last year?
    He’s played over 80 games and is 25 — that’s over limit and has to be waived. Darche is well over. I guess only CBJ or Edmonton could pick him up.
    Thanks Mark C — two way contracts and waivers are different.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Here, read this.

Short version is that Mike Blunden will have to clear waivers to go down to Hamilton. If he gets claimed, no big whoop, low investment player with low potential. If he sneaks through, he’s a valuable callup when injuries strike.

Jeff Woywitka is a good example of a miscalculation on the Canadiens’ part. They thought they could sneak him down after training camp, since every team is struggling to make its own roster limit at that time, but a team that was hard up for defencemen claimed him. What the Canadiens should have done is kept him, especially because of his skillset that was different from all the other defencemen, and sent Raphaël Diaz down to Hamilton for half a season, since he was immune to waivers as a first-year player.

• Boomer says:

I thought Blunden signed a 2way contract?
      Occupation: Professional Hedonist

18. punkster says:

We didn’t add any goal scorers yet. No matter how many grit, N.A.G., big, tough, able-to-drop-’em’s we now have we did not add any goal scorers.

Goal.
    Scorers.
    Added.

There better be more to it than this.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• Chorske says:

NAG: no added goalscorers

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

No they didn’t sign any big scorers but they drafted a heck of an offensive player, the only great offensive player available as a free agent is Parise and he ain’t coming cheap. I am very happy with what they did this summer so far.

• Carta-Hab says:

You may be disappointed in that respect if you are expecting any “goal scorers” to come during this free agency. The most likely candidate there is that could end up in Montreal would be Jagr who would be on a short term deal. When it comes to trade, I don’t expect to see anything big in terms of bringing in an established goal scorer.

The other thing to recall is that if we had a healthy Brian Gionta for most of last season we would have scored more goals. He is good for 20-30 goals a season historically. Always good to have depth tho, as we have no goals scorers on the farm who could step in and make an immediate impact (I can’t see Galchenyuk playing in the Show this year).

Mike Milbury, Don Cherry, and PJ Stock….The three stooges of HNIC.

• Marc10 says:

PA was our best option. The only one left out there is now Jagr.

Semin and Parise… They aren’t the right fit for us with our cap space.

It’s Jaromir or bust as far as scoring goes!

• HabFanSince72 says:

How dare you.

Brandon Prust has 24 NHL goals to his name.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

19. aj says:

So, its settled. If Jagr signing could happen, the 2nd line is complete. Our forwards lineup will be complete. The next few days will be critical as well since the team are dedicated to sign both Carey Price and P.K. Subban.

Get ready b/c Price’s asking value may turn a bit sour-grapes to everyone. I’m projecting it would go up to $5.5 to $6.5 million a yr for the next 5 to 7 years. Subban’s value could go up to $ 3 million a yr for 3 to 4 years max.

IMO, Price’s contract will be the most expensive for the Habs after Scott Gomez.

20. JayK-47 says:

Looking at this roster, I see opportunity. With Eller, PK, and Price left to sign, the Habs have a full roster and even with Gomez, they have capspace.

When we get to the start of the season, some teams are going to be sweating their cap floor or ceiling, and the Habs are well positioned to “help” another team out. On the Habs terms for once.

And with the prospect shelves stocked again?

With 2 astute moves, MB could make this team into a contender by Oct.

21. Habilis says:

Fun fact of the day:

Armstrong will count 1mil against the cap for both the Habs and the Leafs next season. Toranna will effectively be paying him to hit them, and you know he’s gonna flying in those games.

22. Un Canadien errant says:

The Canadiens added one of the most sought-after free agents today in Brandon Prust, a player whose name was bandied about when I read reports of what the Canucks or the Leafs were planning for free agency. The team was able to count on the fact that Mr. Prust’s girlfriend lives and works in Montréal, but still had to overpay to land him, giving him a four-year contract worth $10 million.

Which leads me to wonder how does a Travis Moen feel today, having decided to stay in Montréal and offering the team a hometown discount at $1.7 million, instead of testing the market? Did his charity to the Canadiens end up in Mr. Prust’s pocket? Travis received money comparable to other sought-after fourth-liners like Adam Burish, but it’s likely that he would have received more on the open-market, with the buzz his name was generating at the trade deadline and in the last few days. In any case, Mr. Moen is not the kind of guy to malinger, I hope this doesn’t sour his outlook on his own deal signed just yesterday.

Brandon Prust can earn his money in more than one way. He’ll bring toughness and character to the third or fourth line, he’ll add to the team toughness concept that is preached by Marc Bergevin, and lighten the load that was carried at the end of the season only by Ryan White and Brad Staubitz. He’ll also be called on to kill penalties, and we can hope that he relieve some of the pressure on Tomas Plekanec, who was relied on to an excessive degree by the Martin-Cunneyworth tandem. If Tomas is fresher, he may produce more offensively, and make his wingers more effective as well.

The Colby Armstrong signing to me is a gimme: one year at $1 million for a player coming off injury who has a lot to prove, has some size and skill and can finish a few chances. He’s a vast upgrade over Mathieu Darche, so I now understand and forgive Marc Bergevin for allowing him to walk. Mr. Armstrong is a perfect placeholder to allow the Louis Leblancs, Aaron Palushajs, Blake Geoffrions, Brendan Gallaghers et al. to learn their craft in the AHL. He’s a legit NHL’er who doesn’t ensnare the organization in an onerous contract, the Canadiens can walk away next July, or re-sign him or flip him at the deadline if he has a good season. Another bonus for this fan is that somehow Mr. Armstrong never got on his radar as a cheap-shot artist, so he doesn’t feel the revulsion some Canadiens fans do at the thought of adding this former Leaf.

Francis Bouillon doesn’t quite fit the bill that we envisioned as an addition to the blueline. We wanted a big tough defensively sound veteran who could eat up minutes on the third pair and maybe display a nasty streak every few weeks. The main concern is the fact that he is now 36, and that while he’s built like a fire hydrant and has always been tough, he’s not necessarily a crease clearer and a basher. He’s always been underestimated, his entire career, and maybe that’s what I’m doing now, but I would have been happier with Bryan Allen, who didn’t break the bank and got a relatively reasonable 3 year deal at $3.5 million per from the Ducks.

Sheldon Souray may have been a pipe dream, but I thought the right-handed shooting defenceman would have been a great add, bringing offensive acumen, a great shot, and toughness around the net for the tedious scrums which occur after whistles due to refereeing ineptitude. Having said that, Francis brings a familiarity with the team and the city, he’s a local boy who’s overjoyed to return, and I prize players who want to be here.

I was disappointed that P.A. Parenteau wasn’t signed by the Canadiens, given that the contract he signed with the Avalanche wasn’t out of whack, everything considered. The four year $16 million contract he signed was the upper limit of what I would have been willing to give him, I thought he deserved Josh Gorges money, and maybe a little bit lower with the hometown discount. In any case, the Canadiens didn’t even make an offer.

The Canadiens still haven’t improved their Top 6, which we seem to need since we struggled to score last season, and needed help on the powerplay. Maybe the plan is, as rumoured, to hire mercenary Jaromir Jagr as a placeholder for a season and plunk him on the wing next to Tomas Plekanec. This wouldn’t be an easy fit, in that Brian Gionta is penciled in on the right wing, and Mr. Jagr is also a right winger. Can either of these veterans switch sides and not lose too much effectiveness is a question that needs to be asked.

———————————————————————–
    June 22: Alex Galchenyuk [x]
    June 23: Stefan Matteau, Mike Matheson, Martin Frk, Brandon Whitney
    June 2429: Travis Moen [x]
    June 2627: Mathieu Darche
    June 26: Ryan White
    June 30: Alexei Emelin
    July 1: P.A. Parenteau, Taylor Pyatt
    July 3: Shane O’Brien
    July 5: Carey Price
    July 9: P.K. Subban

• Chi-town NinersHabs says:

I too am hoping for Jagr as a stop-gap. Thankfully the rumours regarding Patrick Kane et. al are not true. He is regarded here in Chicago, by those in the know, as a soft perimeter player that shies from the traffic — not who we need right now. I would say if were the Hawks, let him go for Ryan Miller. Hawks need a goalie.

• Lafleurguy says:

Good stuff. However, Francis Bouillon is an American from upstate New York.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• golesboys says:

Really like your analysis, on the whole. Yep, we got Moen at a steal, when compared with what we’re paying Prust. All the more grateful we should be to Moen, who (along with his agent) knew that they could have signed for more elsewhere. Moen is a highly underrated player, insofar as when he’s on the ice, we can feel VERY comfortable defensively – how many games have we watched when he quietly made excellent penalty-killing or forechecking plays? I really think that he has quietly, stealthily, been the glue that holds what’s been good about this team together for the last two seasons. So glad that we have him, and yes, we should pay him more (I hope his contract has bonuses).

23. jols101 says:

We got to temper our enthusiasm about how tough the Habs are. We traded Staubitz for Prust. They are roughly the same in the toughness department but Prust offers way more upside in skill. No one will be running scared from Bouillon and Armstrong, although they do provide a bit more sandpapper. We still don’t have a bonafide “heavy weight” and if we want to compete with the Bruins, Philly and Rangers in the toughness department we need to get one…

• hockeyscout101 says:

I agree with your post, but most tough guys signed today. McGratton reupped with Nashville. Parros with Florida. Hordichuk reupped with Edmonton, Boulton with Long Island, Asham with Rangers, Janssen with Devils and John Scott with Buffalo.

• hockeyscout101 says:

There is still Krys Barch out there as a heavy, or we can go the Andre Roy route, who has not played in the NHL for at 2-3 years, but has appeared on RDS, or what about BGL, or are we opening up bad worms again lol… Carkner signed with Long Island as well as Steve McIntyre reupped with the Pens.

My prediction is MB signs a few depth players to 2 way contracts so they can be called up when the going gets tough against Philly and Boston. Some of those guys are J-F Jacques and J-L-L-Leblond who is a tough kid, who needs a change of scenery and being from Quebec may help him.

• jols101 says:

I’ve been hoping Bergevin can swing a deal with Washington. The two Swiss Ladies for Erskin. We need to get bigger at the back end.

• hockeyscout101 says:

I prefer Jim Vandermeer, who at 1million is a steal for us. He is still available, he is better than Brookbank.

• hockeyscout101 says:

I do miss the days of Darren Langdon, Gino Odjick and Mick Vukota. Or even Francis Belanger who had a cup of coffee with the Habs years ago!!

• Un Canadien errant says:

The best were the Chris Nilan-John Kordic days. We had two of the best enforcers in the league, and the rest of the roster could handle itself, the Canadiens were no slouch in the eighties.

I’ll always remember Mr. Kordic whipping three of the Nordiques, all in a row, and being escorted off the ice, taunting Michel Bergeron and asking him to send out more of his little girls on the ice, as Bergie was losing his mind.

———————————————————————–
        July 9: P.K. Subban

24. saskhabfan says:

good job by MB today to toughen up and stabilize the bottom 6

25. patrice brisebois says:

FULL BREEZER

26. frontenac1 says:

So the Ducks get Allen,Souray and Staubitz? Not Bad.

• hockeyscout101 says:

But here is the thing about Staubitz, he is going to a team and coach that does not really like figthing. Boudreau hates fighting. The team does not so I take that back but when Boudreau got there, Parros barely saw the ice.

• aj says:

I’m sensing there could be a possible shake-up within the Bobby Ryan – Ryan Getzlaf – Corey Perry line. Either one of these player could get traded tomorrow.

27. frontenac1 says:

Ah fer Chr*#t sakes! Not the LaLa and Poo Poo stuff again!

28. golesboys says:

Thoughts About Gomez:

1) The bite his salary puts into our cap situation is not his responsibility – it’s Gainey’s, PG’s and Sather’s. Like any economic market, the market for hockey players suffers from asymmetries and distortions that generate perverse results. It’s not his fault as an individual.

2) As some posters have pointed out, Gomez was brought here when management thought that, after the lockout, the game had irreversibly changed in a certain way that favored forwards who carried the puck into the zone. The change was real, but short-lived, and we’ve been slipping back, not-so gradually, into the trap age. Gomez has not been able to adapt – he carries the puck a few feet past the blue line before dumping it off to a winger on the boards who is usually stripped of it. It’s predictable, and teams know how to defend against it. If Ken Dryden’s analysis in The Game is correct, the roots of the Canadian game in rugby will always exert a pressure in the clutch-and-grab direction. It’s not a flaw, but an influence handed down through generations of tradition. And some players are not suited to periods when this influence is rising or peaking.

3) I really don’t like the attacks on Gomez’s character. He’s caught in a game style for which he is not suited, with a contract that is disproportionate to his contribution, and a fan base with high expectations. And how has he responded? Well, he’s never called out a teammate in public, never pouted, never put the blame on anyone but himself (indeed, he’s been forthright about accepting personal responsibility), and has stood up for his teammates to the extent that his small frame allows.

Who knows what the future holds for him. It won’t be with Montreal. But I think that Habs fans should ease off.

• ed lopaz says:

well said.

I agree with all of that.

• alwayssunny says:

How much we know about his character probably doesn’t amount to much. But I do know that he has always been popular among his teammates. There is enough to criticize about his performance without having to go to his character.

I’m not as convinced as many are that he isnt going to be here to start the season. I know he wont be traded.. anyone who thinks someone will acquire a 7 million dollar contract because they need to reach the cap floor is delusional.

I think he at least participates in camp. That’s an awful lot of money to throw a way and he owes this organization a lot. It might be wishful thinking on their part but maybe the new regime will want to at least have a close up look for themselves at what Scott Gomez has left. Maybe his mood reflected his play last year, and a new regime and outlook can squeeze some effort and 40-50 points out of him. It’s a longshot. I’d rather see him gone but he’s not on the hook for 14 mil to me.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Again, it’s not a “7 million dollar contract”. It’s two more years on a contract that averages out to a $7.3 million cap hit. The actual salary that will be paid next season is $5.5 million, then $4.5 million. So a team that would be desperate to reach the floor could potentially save a lot of money by having him on their roster and just break the minimum they need to have in salary cap , while actually shelling out two million less in actual dollars.

While this dodge might have been attractive to the Atlanta Thrashers or the Islanders or Coyotes, it won’t, the timing is off with the owners opting out of the CBA, since these owners will rely on a lockout to fix their problems with the salary floor, not any waving of the Scott Gomez magic wand.

• Shane1313 says:

A great take on the situation.
      Especially point #3 :p

29. neutral says:

I’ll give MB credit for bringing in GRIT but DEPT. maybe Armstrong.
    I like the Grit part but we still need some Dept than we’ll be set for a decent season….

30. HammerHab says:

For those complaining about Prust’s contract ponder this….

Plekanec is potentially being shopped. As our top penalty killing forward the loss of Plekanec without a replacement for him defensively would cripple our powerful PK. Prust is known to be a top penalty killer. Yeah he plays 10 minutes a game, but he kills penalties. Last year Montreal was #1 in time on the PK (or last depending on how you look at it….they spent more time killing penalties than any other team). The only team that had a better pk% was NJ and they spent 83 less minutes killing penalties. It is not an option to lose Plekanec without replacing him defensively. Prust is his PK replacement. As for his offensive replacement…..hey where has Tom Nickle been anyways?

31. Chuck says:

Glad to see Frankie the Cube back. Now I can bring my Bouillon jersey out of retirement!

___________________________________________________

• ed lopaz says:

I had a Craig Ludwig jersey

I think it was a limited edition because I never, ever, saw another one

in fact, when I had it made at the Forum store front, the guy behind the counter laughed when I said I wanted Ludwig on the back,

he thought I was a family member!!

• alwayssunny says:

He was one of my favourites, a guy you had to watch to appreciate, not the sort of player statistics could do justice. Guys like him and some of his teammates like Lalor and Green, the habs have been lacking that sort of calm, steady, tough defensemen for a while. They didnt make a lot of mistakes those guys and they made space. They weren’t the kind of guys who acted like idiots and got their sticks up after every whistle, and none of them fought a lot, but they all commanded respect.

• ed lopaz says:

yes. and Ludwig was a great shot blocker.

in fact, he changed his shin pads and had them cover the front of his skates so that he wouldn’t break his foot blocking shots with his skates.

of course, today they have a special guard that can be used to cover the skates for d-men.

Respect.

Yes. I remember when there was “respect” in the game.

The money is so life changing these days I guess the players choose the money over respect today.

• alwayssunny says:

He was a brilliant shot blocker. I didn’t know that about his gear. Excellent.

32. ProHabs says:

Did Allen or Brookbank sign anywhere today.

33. Marc10 says:

I like that we stocked up with depth, experience and toughness that can play. If someone gets injured there are guys we can stick into the breach.

We’re not going to win the Cup with this lineup, but we’re going to be a handful to play against. And our skilled guys are going to benefit from playing against and opposition that’s been worn down.

With the exception of Cube, everybody is fairly young. I’m liking the sandpaper and a couple of guys in the lineup with something to prove… And a coach with something to prove. It’s going to be fun!

34. aj says:

As we look at the current Habs lineup, this is what they have:

Forwards;

(3rd line) Emelin – Diaz

Kaberle

Goalies;

(#1) Price
    (#2) Budaj

• aj says:

IF – by any chance a shake-up in the 2nd line would happen either right now or sometime tomorrow (possible), the 2nd line could be like this:

(2nd line) ???LW – Plekanec – Gionta
      A possibility of a Bourque trade could happen or not. Maybe a Jagr signing could come….

or;

(2nd line) ???LW – Plekanec trade for a ???C – Gionta
      A possible Plekanec (or Eller) trade + Bourque + Weber for a Center + a LW.

• Habilis says:

Flip Emelin and Bouillon I think.

Edit: On second thought I would put Gorges and PK together and pair Emelin with Markov. Bouillon and Diaz/Kaberle as the 3rd pair.

• Mark C says:

The Cube over Kaberle. Has Kaberle killed someone, I don’t know about?

• top-cat says:

In what universe is Nokelainen better than LeBlanc – a natural centre? Are you sending him back to Hamilton?

35. lgc_liam says:

Top signings. Bouillon was always one of my favourite Habs just because of the way he always gave every single thing he had on the ice. Prust and Armstrong are two more team-first guys, and should be great in the locker room. This team is going to be a lot harder to play against next year. I honestly don’t mind having a terrible record for one more year, as long as that team plays their hearts out and shows some signs of improvement. Another lottery offensive pick is key to building a Cup-winner

36. alfieturcotte says:

Very unimpressed with today’s 3 additions. Boullion? We don’t need another 6th or 7th defenseman. We have enough of those already (Weber, Diaz, Kaberle, etc). Prust for 4 years and $10MM??? Come on, I can’t imagine his 10 minutes of ice time per game will be that important that it warranted a 4 year deal at $2mm plus per year. Finally, Armstrong is damaged goods. Weak moves, add little depth.

He should have gone after Latendresse and Pouliot.

• Ferg says:

Latendresse and Pouliot!!
      Stop living in the past please. Latendresse was useful for only a short time and Pouliot was never useful. We got rid of Latendresse. Minnesota got rid of Latendresse. We got rid of Pouliot. Boston got rid of Pouliot. Please, understand there’s a reason these guys don’t stick with their teams. And that reason is because they are chronic underachievers. We already have Gomez, Kaberle and Bourque. That’s enough.

• JoeC says:

You want Lats and Poo Poo over anyone we got today?

You trying to be funny?
      Weak moves, add little depth is a perfect description of what you think the habs shoulda went for….

• The Dude says:

Agree alfiturcotte 100%

• D Mex says:

Latendresse ? Puh-leeze :
      Flopped here, then flopped in Minnesota. One thing he DOES do fairly well is skate with his feet in the perfect 10-to-2 position.
      - Let him teach driver training

ALWAYS Habs -
      D Mex

37. JUST ME says:

Happy for Blunden and Desjardins but those are AHL players that will likely never make it full time in the NHL.

I think we saw what we needed to see from Blunden last year . He is a grinder like so many others in the NHL that could be replaced easily.

Not sure about Desjardins .Do not think he made a good impression in Tampa but with the defense they have…

38. top-cat says:

Can some one explain how Blunden can move to a two way contract. (D’arche as well while you are at it). Do they have to clear waivers? Why did it not work for (was it?) Jeff Woywitka last year?

• Mark C says:

Two way contract has nothing to do with waivers. Only means, that the player is paid one rate (e.g. $1M) in the NHL and another rate (e.g. $500K) in the AHL.

• top-cat says:

OK but he’s played over 80 games and is 25 — that’s over limit and has to be waived. Darche is well over. I guess only CBJ or Edmonton could pick him up.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Any team can claim a player on waivers, but you’re right that the lowest-ranked team has first dibs, then the second and so on.

The thinking on the Canadiens will be that Mike Blunden will be sent to Hamilton after training camp and called up as needed. No team would claim him in October, they’d be neck deep in their own projects and prospects like we’d be, but during the season there’s a risk he would be claimed if another team was beset with injuries and needed his skills. The risk is low for us organizationally though, since his ceiling and potential at this point in his career are quite low, we wouldn’t be losing much.

We won’t take the same risk with a prospect like Raphaël Diaz or Blake Geoffrion. If we had to make room on the roster and one of these guys had to go, we’d think of a trade before waiving them.

———————————————————————–
          June 22: Alex Galchenyuk [x]
          June 23: Stefan Matteau, Mike Matheson, Martin Frk, Brandon Whitney
          June 2429: Travis Moen [x]
          June 2627: Mathieu Darche
          June 26: Ryan White
          June 30: Alexei Emelin
          July 1: P.A. Parenteau, Taylor Pyatt
          July 3: Shane O’Brien
          July 5: Carey Price
          July 9: P.K. Subban

39. ed lopaz says:

here’s the deal on Gomez, and it is not about “how he is coached”.

several years back, teams were playing much less trap hockey in the neutral zone, many more goals were scored “on the rush”.

today, virtually every team traps in the neutral zone, some more than others, but it is a standard form of defence.

gomez’s game was built on speed, and catching the opposition flat footed on the transition from offence to defence and crossing the opposition blue line through the neutral zone with speed – the old fashioned scoring chance “on the rush”.

he never re-built his body to win battles against the boards, or behind the net,

you watch Parise or Crosby or the best centers and they can do it all, skate with speed, but ALSO win those tight battles, go to the net, and create scoring chances “in tight”, in the “blue paint”.

Gomez does none of that – ever.

His game is 5-10 years behind the new NHL game.

He refuses to adapt because he lacks the physical and the mental strength to make it happen.

Gomez is through at the NHL level.

It has nothing to do with coaching.

• alwayssunny says:

I’ll blame Martin for a lot of things, but not for the way Gomez drags his ass around the rink.

• alwayssunny says:

The interesting thing will be to see what level of patience Therrien has for it. Bourque should be an interesting case as well. Assuming they are still here.

• ed lopaz says:

Bourque plays a power game, almost all of his goals are scored in the blue paint; he has the right game to succeed, he just seems to “drift”, lose focus, and when you are being asked to skate full board for 35 second shifts that is totally unacceptable.

Gomez needs to be released before camp opens; one way or another.

• JayK-47 says:

He’s just a POS of a person. Watching him in interviews and dealing with reporters, he often acts like an a$$h#le. He’s not funny and his little remarks reveal his selfish character.

When Eller scored those 4 goals, the thing that stuck with me the most was Eller saying something like,

“Yeah, it’s an honor. But I have to go back to the room and G-Love is going to say something.”

Which sealed the deal for me. Send Gomez to clean toilets in Hamilton.

• ed lopaz says:

Eller is one of the great character guys on the team.

He is a true professional.

• JayK-47 says:

Great kid with an amazing attitude. I felt bad for him being stuck between PG, JM and Gomez. This’ll be his breakout year.

• ed lopaz says:

If Eller is played a regular shift as a center for the entire season, even the 3rd line center, he will develop very nicely this year.

I get the sense that he is feeling pretty happy about the coaching and GM change, as are Subban, and several others.

40. frontenac1 says:

Ha,just read that Spain won soccer! I had Ten Bucks on them with my barkeep!Why didn’t you guys tell me this soocer thing is so easy?So, who is playing next? I feel lucky! Hola!

41. Bill says:

It’s interesting that Bergevin raced out of the gate to acquire three depth players who are all pretty tough.

Could be laying the framework to acquire a scoring forward by showing he’ll be well protected? Certainly doesn’t hurt.

Loving Bergevin right now!

• Un Canadien errant says:

Good point. I think there’s a good buzz around the Canadiens, we managed to snag Erik Cole last season and he had a career year, players will look at that. The new management team would remove another barrier to entry if you will, if a free agent picks up the phone and talks to Brian Gionta or another source, they’ll get the gist that there’s relief that Pierre Gauthier is gone and the Marc Bergevin and his cadre are the kind of team you want to play for.

Add in Carey Price, a young talented team on the way up, and now some depth on the third and fourth line, and Montreal becomes an attractive destination.

42. Ncognito says:

Just checking in after a day betting the ponies and then enjoying a few cold ones at a family bbq.
    Love the Prust signing – having him and Moen for PK duty will free up Plekanec for more offensive duty.
    Also don’t mind the Armstrong signing for $1M. The 3rd and 4th lines may not score a lot but they won’t be fun to play against!
    Frankie the Cube for 1 year is also not so bad. Liked him the first time around and feel he will help on the 3rd pairing or as short term insurance if someone goes down. That way all kids can stay in Hamilton for the year.
    Still feel something else is coming though.

43. habstrinifan says:

Hab-in-Cowtown’s line-up(where exactly is Cowtown and is there a red light district) kinda brought me back down to earth a little bit.

“and then defensemen:
    PK-Gorges
    Markov-Emelin
    Karberle-Franky Soup
    Diaz-Weber”

Dont you feel just a tad queasy now?????

But I am sure MB is working on it.

My candidates:

Scott Hanann from Calgary or

Kent Huskins from St. Louis
    (before you say NO look at his plus minus) or

Bryce Salvador from NJ bu for only 1 yr
    (l am lukewarm re his probable price) or

Steve Eminger from NYR
    only problem is he shoots right but this guy is surging up career wise

I only looked at UFA’s who arent too expensive.
    I didnt look at Defenders under contract that we could trade for.

44. Bill says:

I say the Bouillon signing is great. Considering he’s never played less than 16 minutes a game on average, and played almost 18 minutes a game last year in a pretty decent Nashville squad, we’re getting a serviceable Dman here. And he’s cheap.

Also, for people saying we needed a “bigger body” than the Cube … there’s more than one type of big body. When you’re 5’8″ and 200lbs, you’re built like … well, a bull. And come on … Frank the Tank does not lack for toughness or physicality!

• Well said – Frankie plays like he’s 6′ 2″.

• ed lopaz says:

I know for a fact that Cube was devastated when he was let go last time.

The man is ALL HEART – and his heart is committed to staying in Montreal.

A really good move by a GM who not only knows hockey, he knows

the heart of the player.

• Marc10 says:

Every time Yemmy lays a guy out, Frankie the Bull will step up. I remember he really held his own against tough middle weights.

This guy loves the Habs, was MT’s captain when they won the Memorial Cup, and he never, ever quits. A one year deal. Perfect.

45. frontenac1 says:

I like the Blunden 2way deal. He will be good on the farm and is a capable call up.

46. Mattyleg says:

I have a feeling that Gomez will still be a Hab in September.

The main reason for thinking this is that he kind of got screwed by Martin. Quite a few players faltered under his system, and Gomez was the one who suffered the most. According to Hal Gill, he was improperly used by Martin, and was really looking forward to a change of direction in Cunneyworth, and was burnt with the ‘more of the same’ attitude that Cunney adopted.

I’m no Gomez apologist, I’ve been extremely frustrated with him, and I think he’s overpaid, but I also think that Therrien might actually know how to use him properly, and if he does, we could be in for a surprise.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Sean Bonjovi says:

I JUST wrote something with the same gist to it about three comments down.

• Mattyleg says:

Yeah, but I wasn’t talking about making him look good to trade him.
        I was talking about him actually being a useful part of the team.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Sean Bonjovi says:

I’d go for some of that too, but next summer we’ll probably have to move a centre to make room for Galchenyuk, so why not move Gomez the first chance you get. If Gomez was playing well next year at the deadline and trading him hurt the teams push for the playoffs I could live with that. If he’s looking better than Eller, or Pleks then maybe make a different move.

P.S. I just gave my head a shake and realised I was talking about Scott Gomez playing well. Sorry.

• Habifax says:

I hope you’re right but I don’t think so.

• JF says:

Agree. I have a feeling Therrien is a much better coach than most here are willing to allow. Gomez will look much more like he did in his first year with us. I think Therrien will also be able to light a fire under Bourque’s a$$.

I love the signings. We still need some more scoring, but even without that, we’ll be a much tougher team to play against. Bergevin is establishing an identity and putting pieces in place for the future. With the draft and the signings, both here and in Hamilton, he’s added depth and character, and a lot of talent that we’ll see in a few years.

• JUST ME says:

I agree with you. I never did believe that they could get rid of him,buy him out or send him to Hamilton although it still is possible.

I think he will get one more chance with the Habs, one last. I do not expect him to finish his deal with the Habs though. After the all star game he should be easier to trade cause by then there will be about a year and a half left to his deal wich should scare less people …

If Therrien can make a usefull hockey player out of him would be a bonus !

47. JUST ME says:

The most positive side of it all is that clearly we are now dealing with a G.M. that has a plan . He started with building a team of coaches and hockey personnel and now he is laying the bricks for the years to come.

Today he hired Bouillon for one year who openly wanted to retire in Montreal .Just the time needed to teach the youngsters a few tricks of the trade while helping to solidify the defense.
    Armstrong for a year is also a good deal cause after the last two seasons of injuries and bad luck he needs to prove to others and to himself that he belongs in the NHL. He was chosen because of his past with Therrien so the Habs know what to expect and Therrien knows he can pull the right strings to get his player going.

Prust is a much needed asset with the team. We did have a few players that could do the job but somehow seemed that you could not expect that kind of play for 82 games a year from guys like Moen, White and Bourque. Sometimes we judge players according to what we would like them to do wich is not always realistic.When they do ruffle a few feathers we will appreciate them more.

This brings us back to Bergevin who knows that quite a few youngsters will be ready to join the club in a year ,some in two years and so on…

So instead of having to ask an AHL caliber type of player to come and save us at least we have a team that can manage by itself and take the time to devellop young talents.
    When and if we need a Gallagher to come and help us, at least the situation will be clear.

Rumor has that Bergevin is still working on something else. I may be wrong but only big players are left no ? So we never know. Although we do need more fire power, at least now we can see where we are going.

48. hockeyscout101 says:

John Scott just signed with the Sabres. The East is getting really tougher now. Do you think Montreal should get a heavy?

• HabFanSince72 says:

No one wants to fight Scott.

No one in their right mind should.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• commandant says:

Bergevin clearly showed his philosophy in signing Prust and letting Staubitz walk. We want toughness, but toughness that can actually play hockey.

Remember that Chicago didn’t have a heavyweight when they won the cup.

NHL Free Agency and Trade Analysis now.
        Team By Team Prospect Reports coming soon

• JF says:

Scott is a terrible player.

• Mattyleg says:

No, just avoid Scott.
      It’s easily done.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Habifax says:

This guy can’t play hockey. Can’t skate so can’t play. Let the Sabres try to get him on the ice without hurting themselves.

• HabFanSince72 says:

On the other hand, remember how traumatized Buffalo were after the Lucic on Miller incident? I’m sure that’s why they got Scott.

Scott has a feud going with Shawn Thornton apparently.

He might not play many games but he will play against the B’s.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

49. Habifax says:

Forward John Scott has agreed to germs with the Buffalo Sabres. – Check out http://bit.ly/MN78ZG for more info.

50. Habifax says:

Gomez, Kaberle, Bourque have to go.

• commandant says:

Gomez will be gone. The other two will be back, they arent at his level

NHL Free Agency and Trade Analysis now.
      Team By Team Prospect Reports coming soon

• Sean Bonjovi says:

If the league starts up in December and Therrien can get two good months out of Gomez (put him between Max Pac and Eric Cole) Somebody might take him in a trade, or claim him off waivers. I don’t expect that to happen, but It’d sure save Geoff Molson a lot of dollars if it did, so I think they might consider trying it.

• aj says:

Yeah, everybody wants to see these guys go. Let’s just be patient…

51. Mattyleg says:

Great to see Frankie come back.
    He played with his heart on his sleeve every game with the Habs, and was given the royal shaft despite going in to play for us injured.

The arena on the corner of my street is the Francis Bouillon Arena, which he poured money into to renovate it. It’s in an economically and socially-challenged neighbourhood, and it’s given the kids in the area (and the old-timers who I see playing in there until after midnight!) an extremely useful resource.

As I’ve said before, any player who wants to be a Hab that badly is always welcome to play for my team.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

52. Habifax says:

I think now we could also see two or three guys being traded with one guy coming to the team. Seems to be more depth to do this type of move now.

53. twilighthours says:

Man I’m zonked from a day in the sun but:

1) love the low risk Armstrong signing

2) love the return of the cube. Signals the end of weber/Diaz/kaberle, in my mind

3) people will be happy with the blunden deal. I’m indifferent, or maybe happy for those who are happy

4) I’ve been dying for a tough fourth liner who can play, and Prust definitely fits the bill. Awesome signing.

This is a proclamation that the habs were too soft. Things are changing.

All good here

54. adamkennelly says:

This July 1st fully validates what many of us astute Habs fans have known for a couple of years…you cannot win in this league when opponents dictate the play and push you around…Having Prust, Armstrong and even Frankie will ensure our skilled guys will have the proper environment in which to succeed…I would have preferred a Carkner or Brookbank on D but the Prust signing is great..plays every day, has some skills and toughness….finally…

• Habilis says:

Totally agree. The Kings (and the Bruins before them) proved that you need some sand in your lineup if you expect to be successful in the playoffs. I’m not saying that the Habs can contend for a cup with this roster but I think that they’re closer today than they were yesterday.

• PureGuava says:

Why can’t they contend with this team though?

Desjarnes, Plecanec, Eller are three skilled centers….the defense looks good, and the bottom six forwards now look like they can bang and bother. I’m liking this team.

“Of course I’m crazy, but that doesn’t mean I’m wrong.”
        - Robert Anton Wilson

• Habilis says:

I agree about the bottom 6, I really like the look of that group. However I still think that they need to upgrade from Bourque or Gionta. Not knocking either of them especially Gio but I feel like they need more scoring from one of those spots. The top 4 D look really solid to me but my caveat there is injury. One of those 4 going down would create a big hole and I don’t think that Bouillon is the answer to that. I love the guy but he shouldn’t be counted on as a top 4 imo.

• PureGuava says:

Agreed. I’m hoping Therrien can motivate Borque into a top six forward, or into a Hamilton Bulldog. Geoffrion is not an NHL player, and Gionta i’m on the fence with.

Frankie is depth on D.

“Of course I’m crazy, but that doesn’t mean I’m wrong.”
            - Robert Anton Wilson

• aj says:

The Gainey-Gauthier experiment is gone. Now that Bergevin is here, we could thank him for taking that step of putting more gritty, big, puck-shooting players in the team.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I’ll put it this way: your contention is correct in the current NHL where refs let Bruins get away with attempted murder.

I’ve seen the undersized and outmuscled Canadiens skate circles around the Bruins the last two or three seasons, even when the latter were trying to thug it out.

I think that Marc Bergevin and his team can see which way the wind is blowing, that the blinkered insane are running the asylum, and are reacting accordingly. I have to support their moves in response so far.

———————————————————————–
      June 22: Alex Galchenyuk [x]
      June 23: Stefan Matteau, Mike Matheson, Martin Frk, Brandon Whitney
      June 2429: Travis Moen [x]
      June 2627: Mathieu Darche
      June 26: Ryan White
      June 30: Alexei Emelin
      July 1: P.A. Parenteau, Taylor Pyatt
      July 3: Shane O’Brien
      July 5: Carey Price
      July 9: P.K. Subban

55. Habilis says:

Love the Prust signing but I have a question;

He is listed as a LW on NHL.com and as a RW on TSN. Anyone know what the deal is? Can he play both?

56. alwayssunny says:

Prust should be a great fit, I’m not too worried about the terms, not after the money I’ve seen thrown out of the Bell Center window a few years ago. Armstrong could be a steal at 1 million, and if not? Then you took a relatively inexpensive chance. Bouillon, meh, i always liked the guy, he has a ton of heart, and if Therrien thinks he will help in the room then great. But I don’t think he addresses anything we are lacking on defense. I’d like to see a big tough defenseman who will allow Emelin to play his game without having to worry about his face being rearranged, and keep bums like Thornton from going after PK, even if he usually deserves it. Markov is also a huge question mark of course. It’s only July 1st, there were no UFAs I was salivating over, I think even with some of the driftwood that left, there are some forwards that can be moved and I expect the blue line will be bolstered via trade.

I’d still like to see an enforcer who is around if they need him, but I can live with it if they don’t sign one now that we resemble an NHL team again. Have a look at the guys who were moved around today before you go piping up about how fighting has no place in today’s game. Montreal isn’t Fantasyland anymore. The GMs were tripping over each other signing guys who play that game. If the Habs really were looking at Parros then I like the way they were thinking. Staubitz was a gamer but if you are going to have a fighter with limited skills, you may as well have one who intimidates.

Watching Mets vs. Dodgers on TV, and they show Tim Wallach coaching 3rd for the Dodgers! That just seems so wrong that he would be coaching the Dodgers, come on he remembers Blue Monday, just doesn’t feel right.

58. JayK-47 says:

PARISE ISGNED WITH HABS!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

59. Kooch7800 says:

Wow, souray with the ducks for 3 years 11 mill. that is crazy

60. Habifax says:

To me it now means two things the team lacked last year. Toughness and depth. The team got pushed around with AHL guys in the line up far too much for a team to be in the playoff. I will not say for sure that the playoff is for sure but at least we will go down with a fight and be tough to play against. Hopefully all those third period leads will not end up as overtime/shootout loses this year.

61. habsfan0 says:

PARISE!!

62. Sean Bonjovi says:

<—– Wooooooooooooooooooo-Hoooooooooooooooo!!!!!

63. hab_in_cowtown says:

I’m looking at the roster and it’s telling me there must be a trade or something else (waiver moves) about to happen. Here are the forwards:
    Cole-DD-Patches
    Gio-Pleks-Leblanc
    Armstrong-Lars-Moen
    Prust-Nokelainen-White
    Blunden-G.Love-Bourque (what a line this would be!)

and then defensemen:
    PK-Gorges
    Markov-Emelin
    Karberle-Franky Soup
    Diaz-Weber

We finally seem to have some much needed depth (albeit 3rd line depth), but I can’t see how this would work out if nothing were to change before the season. Add to that the rumors that we’re searching for another top six and ze plot thickens. What do you guys think?
    Also, Happy Canada Day!

• Kooch7800 says:

LL will be in Hamilton this year. Who is G-Love. Bourque if still around will be with GIO and pleks.

Cole-DD-Max
      Gio-Plex-Bourque
      Armstrong-Eller-Moen
      Prust-Noks-White

Defense
      Markov -Emelin
      PK-Gorges
      Kabby-Frank B
      Diaz as the 7th

That is how I currently see it.

I 100% agree that I think there is a trade coming as our 2nd line doesn’t look so fantastic

• wjc says:

Cole D.D. Patches
      Eller Plekanics Armstrong
      Giota Gomez Bourque (Moen) Leblanc to Hamilton for seasoning
      [Prust Nokelien White

64. habstrinifan says:

Beautiful. MB resigned Blunden. This GM is amazing ..really come on gys. Have you felt this positive about managemnt for a while.

• JayK-47 says:

I thought the teams management was braindead since the Muller-Turgeon trade.

Now? Not so much…

• LizardKing1967 says:

Last time I think WE ALL felt this good about management was the day Gainey was hired. We were all doing cartwheels.

Unfortunately that didn’t work out so good. Hopefully this will.

Also, so much depth signing. Must be a blockbuster in the works.

Drive for 25. 2012-2013. Max-Pac for Conn Smyth.

I BELIEVE!

• JF says:

In the cases of both Nokelainen and Blunden, Bergevin did not extend qualifying offers, thus avoiding adding to their salaries whatever percentage the rules stipulate. Smart. And Blunden’s contract is a two-way one.

65. Kooch7800 says:

I have a feeling that Rene Bourque will be traded this offseason. He isn’t consistent enough to play top 6 and from what we have seen of MB so far he is going after character people who perform and don’t have questionable work ethic.

I would like to see bourque get a shot this season as I don’t think we saw his best on a team that was struggling really badly but I have a feeling he is going to be part of a package moving out. When you bring in Armstrong that would take where I would have Bourque slotted in the 3rd line

66. sreuel says:

Just think of what you can get with Gomez salary if we Send to Hamilton. 1 Great player or 2 that can score and help the team

67. SlovakHab says:

Of all signings, I like Frankie the Bull the least.
    Armstrong and Prust are good depth bottom-6 signings, but I don’t get what MB’s plan to improve our defence is…

Subban – Gorges
    Markov – Emelin
    Bouillon – Kaberle?

I think we could use a bigger body on the bottom pair.. an if one of top-4 goes down, our defence will be one of the weakest in the conference.

• Ron in Ottawa says:

I agree. in his last stint with the habs, Cube only had one gear- reverse. it used to drive me nuts to watch him take a pass at the blue line and go back to behind his own net. set the whole offense into a defensive mode. i know MB is trying to put a quebecois stamp on the team but surely there are other players available.

68. Mad Habber says:

Reposted from other thread:

I’m curious to know what/if (for those who where all for him a few months ago) Shawn Thornton had became a ufa today how much they feel he was worth? Is 2.5 mil too much?

He and Prust had very similar numbers, (Prust had five more assists and was a better plus/minus player). Prust is also six years younger. According to hockeyfights.com both Thornton and Prust had the most fighting majors with 20.

Thornton will be making $1.1 mil. next season and I would venture to guess he would be making more if he hadn’t re-signed with the Bruins. Everyone was wanting Thornton, well Prust is in the same vein. If he can do what Thornton does for the Bruins nobody is going to complain about his $ or term.

Prust VS Thornton

• Kooch7800 says:

Do you think Moen is pissed about Prusts contract considering he is just as good on the PK and was better offensively?

“Like Canadian Hip hop..check us out http://www.groovecontrolmusic.com

I think Moen will be happy to have someone share the load with him.

• Kooch7800 says:

I agree but there is a significant difference in term and money for a player of essentially the same skill set.

Prust does fight a ton more than Moen though

You said it right there, Prust fights a ton more, I don’t think these guys “enjoy” fighting, Moen seems to fight less each year (my own recollection only, not stating fact) and is coming off concussion. I suspect he is VERY happy that someone else just showed up to handle alot of the heavy lifting, also younger.

Moen had two chances at UFA, chose Montreal both times, makes me think he is happy here.

• Kooch7800 says:

I agree. I like Moen and Prust on the third line as well. Injuries happen so it is nice to have more grit than not

“Like Canadian Hip hop..check us out http://www.groovecontrolmusic.com

• Mad Habber says:

He might have been able to get the same kind of money if he went the ufa route, but decided to sign with the Habs for reasons other than monetary.

69. crabvader says:

Signed Cedrick Desjardins (who is a very underrated goaltender, in my opinion) and Blunden is back. I always thought Cedrick was a good goalie but it seems like nobody ever wanted to give him the time of day. It’s unfortunate. Probably just circumstance, but still. I think he would be a decent netminder if given the chance in the NHL, full time. I like him as the #1 in Hamilton though. And he’s always a good call-up option.

• punkster says:

Whoa…been a while since you’ve been around. What’s new?

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• nickster13 says:

crabvader! You used to be a good poster! Where’d you go?

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the rocket!”

• crabvader says:

Chicago living keeping me a little busy, I guess. Also found a new love in basketball, believe it or not, hah! Guess it’s the lack of a team in Montreal that just made me not like the sport. I’ll try to comment a bit more on here cause I miss debating and armchair-ing with you guys ;)

70. hockeyscout101 says:

We may not be done yet with regards to toughness. still need that dman that can clear the net and we can use another gritty forward still, if Bourque gets traded or what have you. I see Moen, Eller and Armstrong for Line 3.

71. Sounds like they might be going after Jagr to shore up the top 6. What do you think, Jagr on a line centered by Pleks? That could work…

DDonais

72. nickster13 says:

Good signing! Its more important to be in every game, we don’t need to be the ultimate scoring team, with this lineup we can be IN every game, and hopefully the guys can score when it counts. That’s all we need.

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the rocket!”

73. neutral says:

Lots of Grit thats great. Still no scoring not great. guess they’re going to try and hammer out wins….82 games. won’t last.

• Cal says:

It’s about improving the D, too. Habs allowed about a half goal per game more last season while scoring only 4 less goals than the season before. Habs must be a tough grind it out kind of team with a great D that has to be led by Price.
      With Markov, Subban and, like it or not, Kaberle, more goals should come as a result of their great passing. Having Gorges, Emelin and Boullion will hopefully stabilize the D and make the Habs harder to score against.

74. aemarchand11 says:

We can hit/fight, but can we score?

• Price07 says:

I’m not saying we’ll be the best offensive team but Pacioretty and Cole are big time goal scorers, Bourque has the potential and Gionta has scored over 25 goals for us since he’s been here but missed most of last year. Plekanec is a capable producer, desharnais and eller have good potential. I’m not too worried, but one more addition up front (who could score a lil) would be nice (and i’m not talking about Parise).

• crabvader says:

You’re right. It will obviously help having these guys in the line up and healthy above all things. I believe we have a group that can be around the 14-15th rank in scoring at least. We have to make sure that we can run powerplays with subban and marky and make sure our younger guys like weber and diaz can contribute as well. It’s gonna help knowing that if anyone tries to rub them out of the game, Prust, White and Moen will be patrolling. Not to mention it’ll also be nice to see us continue our trend of finally outmuscling other teams instead of always seeing us get rubbed out and never avenged like we used to not but 2 years ago. I’m just hoping our boys stay healthy.

75. crabvader says:

You may be right on that point. I just like the turn around I saw last year in the physical department (probably one of the only good things to talk about, really). We have the guys who like to bang bodies… hoping cube returns in form. I like the risk in Armstrong considering Toronna is paying half his salary, though. If he can make them pay by making them lose some games, it’ll make me even happier. But you add guys like cube (if he can still throw the occasional big hit) and Armstrong, who likes to be an opportunist with his big ones and Prust, who is just an all around tough customer and I think we improved in the hitting dept. Patches (when he ain’t scared of getting suspended), Cole, Emelin, Moen, Subban, Prust, Armstrong, White and Cube are all guys who can deliver potentially game-changing hits. I’ve been waiting a long time to see that kind of smash-mouth hockey from our guys. If only Koivu had this kind of surrounding when he was still here.

76. Kooch7800 says:

I thought Moen has played pretty consistent as a third liner in the last 3 years.

77. hockeyscout101 says:

I always have found that Vandermeer was better than Brookbank. Vandermeer would be a good pairing for the 5th or 6th. John Scott may sign with the Habs as well.

78. db says:

If there’s a contract spot, I say go for it… it doesn’t hurt to actually keep a team in Hamilton.

79. crabvader says:

Agreed about the defensive aspect in crease clearing. I think we might just have to bite the bullet until Tinordi is ready. I think we could stand to spend a few bucks on a guy like Shaone Morrisson, Mark Eaton, Jim Vandermeer… If we want to gamble a bit maybe even take a chance on Ryan Parent. Kent Huskins is another decent option. Honestly though, there aren’t really that many depth stay-at-home defensemen in this year’s UFA market. If you want quality, you’re gonna have to pay more for a guy like Ryan Suter.

80. hockeyscout101 says:

At least Scott fights…BGL never did…But I still like the deterrent of Scott especially when Chara hits our people. I rather have Scott getting 5 minutes for fighting against Chara than having Chara hit our guys. BGL went by the code, Scott fights when have to. He would be good against Philly as well.

81. JayK-47 says:

HahAhaHahAHaha!!!! (sorry!)

82. ed lopaz says:

I saw Russ Courtnall play in the World Juniors on TV from Sweden, I believe, the game was televised at about 3 or 4 in the morning.

JJ Daigneault was on that team – 1984 –

and Kirk Muller

Always loved Courtnall’s speed – he was an exciting little player to watch.

Corson was a beast; and a great leader.

83. BeeGee says:

Remember at the end of last season when White came back and Staubitz was plucked of wavers… I just think it helps with team toughness when there’s 4-5 guys in the lineup that are there for their teammates.

84. Strummer says:

They held their own in a few fights but we still finished 15th with a whimper.
    Hockey talent has to prevail. That’s why Prust was a better option.

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”