Audio: Price signs for 2 years

Carey Price signs his first Canadiens contract in April 2007 in the Pasco, Wash., home of Dennis and Jill Williams, his Tri-Cities billet for four seasons, before leaving for the Hamilton Bulldogs.
Courtesy Williams family

AUDIO: Price conference call

The Canadiens have signed goaltender Carey Price to a two-year contract.

No official word on terms of the deal. The figures being mentioned on Twitter range from $5.25 million ($2.5 million and $2.75 million) to $2.65 million per to $5.5 million ($2.5 million and the $3 million Price was prepared to go on strike to get, as per our national public broadcaster).

A cap hit of $2.75 million would leave the Canadiens with 21 players under contract and about $2 million worth of breathing room.

Price is in Kelowna, where he’s spent most of the summer and is working with goaltending coach Pierre Groulx at the junior Rockets rink. After the conference call, he planned to drive to Tri-Cities where “my girlfriend has a family reunion I’ve got to go to”, Price said, stressing the obligatory nature of the excursion.

Sounding poised, relaxed and confident, Price began by saying he does not feel an undue degree of pressure, beyond the challenge of wanting to do well for his teammates.

“I learned ice time isn’t just given to you, it’s earned,” Price said, in response to a question from Dave Stubbs about the goaltender’s late-season difficulties.

Price also said a two-year contract is ideal at his age and stage of development.

Price has been working with his personal coach, Eli Wilson, and says he’s in good shape. He has wrapped up his rodeo riding and plans to be in Montreal Sept. 10.

Asked how many games he’d like to start this season, Price answered “82” before getting serious and telling Pat Hickey that the goaltending workload will be a coach’s decision, based on merit.

In response to a question about whether his off-season training has stressed lateral movement and his glove hand, Price said he’s worked to improve all aspects of his game.

Admitting 2009-’10 had been difficult for him, Price said he’d strayed further from his game as the season progressed. Asked to describe his experience in Montreal to date, Price said: “It’s been hard and it’s been awesome.”

From the team’s press release:

MONTREAL  – Montreal Canadiens general manager Pierre Gauthier announced today
the signing of goaltender Carey Price to a two-year contract (2010-11 and
2011-12). As per Club policy, financial terms of the agreement were not
disclosed.

“We are extremely happy that Carey has
agreed to pursue his career with the Canadiens. Carey is a key member of our
Club. He has proven that he has what it takes to be a good goaltender in the
league, and we are confident he will perform to the best of his abilities for
years to come in a Canadiens uniform”, said Canadiens general manager Pierre
Gauthier.

Price, 22, completed in 2009-10 his third season with the
Canadiens. The goaltender displayed a 13 wins, 20 losses and five overtime
losses record in 41 games. He also registered a 2.77 goals against average and a
.912 save percentage. Price was named the NHL Second Star of the Week for the
period ending on November 22 and was also the recipient of the Molson Cup for
the months of October and November.

Since 2007-08, Price has amassed 60
wins, including four shutouts, in 134 NHL regular-season games. The 6-03,
219-pound goaltender has also maintained a 2.73 goals against average and a .912
save percentage. He also played 15 career playoff games.

In 2008-09,
Price was named to the NHL All-Star Game starting lineup. The previous season
(2007-08), he became the first goaltender in the NHL aged 20 or less to win 20
games in a season since 1985-86. In 2006-07, he became the first player in
hockey history to be named Canadian Hockey League Goaltender of the Year, World
Junior Championship Tournament MVP (Gold medal with Team Canada) and win the AHL
Playoff Most Valuable Player Trophy (Calder Cup with the Hamilton Bulldogs) all
in the same year.

A native of Williams Lake, BC, Price was selected in
the first round, fifth overall by the Canadiens at the 2005 NHL Entry Draft.

1. otter649 says:

A new user name (habs 4 future) less than 30 minutes old – I wonder who that maybe………..

2. davelecave says:

This made me laugh out loud at work.

=========================================================================

Papa Gionta!

You look a little wasted yourself, Steve.!

could not resist.!

It’s the poster formerly known as habsrcrap.

5. StevieRay says:

Exactly …  let the season begin..!

6. StevieRay says:

no…Gomez at 8 million is a waste

7. mike g says:

Well…

At least he’s in a better place now..I hear they have sushi in Toronto…..SUSHI!!

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

8. fbkj says:

off the top of my head? a shitload

9. _Habsoloutly_ says:

your comment makes no sense.  could you at least wait till he plays a few games before you call it a waste?  how do you know the kid isn’t gonna stand on his head and have a great season (or two) for us?  you’re casting dispersion on his new contract and he hasn’t even played a game under it.

10. fbkj says:

okay no arguments here but apply this to hindsight

11. _Habsoloutly_ says:

I personally don’t trust agents.  they don’t care about the team, they don’t care about the game, they care about getting their clients the most possible money they can so their cut is bigger.  Agents are a big part of what has ruined professional sports and the outrageous contracts these guy’s get.

12. Bill J says:

The only thing I see as a “Fail”

Is you post.

Epic fail in fact

“we all know”

Speak for yourself!  Leave the rest of us out of your grandiose ludicrous claims.

13. HFX-HabFan says:

Slovak?  Is that you?  You’ve only been here for all of seven minutes…

14. HabFanSince72 says:

Remember Mikhail Grabovski? He got $2.9M per year at the exact same point in his career.

15. ZepFan2 says:

LMFAO

————————————————————————

– Steven Tyler

16. habs 4 future says:

how many goalies can’t cut it after 3 years, and STILL GET A 4TH CHANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. Malreg says:

This just goes to show that any one who claims to have “sources” in the Habs are full of crap.  Nobody broke the news of this signing.  Pretty sure the Canadiens official twitter page was the first to announce it (at least out of all the hockey writers I follow…)

Good contract.  Glad it’s done.  Now let’s bring on the season!!!

18. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Ok, I’ll try to explain to you what I was trying to say.

Somebody was using Price’s agent’s comments to refute what another poster was saying.  I simply said it’s laughable to you use an agents comments for this purpose becuase they are not trustworthy.

I never said Price’s agent wasn’t telling the truth,  just that agents in general are not reliable sources to use to back your argument because they will lie, cheat, and steal to get their client the most $$$$.

19. habs 4 future says:

wasted 5.25  mil for the habs.

we all know he will fail, as usual!

20. HabFanSince72 says:

How many goalies had 60 NHL wins at age 22?

Among Vezina winners:

Patick Roy: yes.

Marty B. yes.

Ed Belfour: no

Ryan Miller: no

Kiprusoff: no

Theo: no

Hasek: no

Kolzig: no

Thomas: no

Fuhr: yes.

(Note: many of the “no” goalies didn’t even play in the NHL before the age of 23)

21. GrimJim says:

No I’m not saying that this means all agents are truthful and beyond reproach and we should never doubt a word they say. That is as stupid a comment as believing everything an agent says is a lie. As a former newspaper reporter I believe maintaining a level of scepticism until statements can be verified is a healthy thing and I made my living off that principle for 15 years. But a professional making a public statement has to be aware that if he or she is caught out in a lie it destroys their credibility forever. That may not stop the Drew Rosenhaus’s of the world but it will make most reasonable people hesitate. All I’m saying is most people deserve the benefit of doubt until proven otherwise, but that is not something some people on this site are willing to give people.

And no, my glasses are clear coloured, not rose…

22. HFX-HabFan says:

It’s okay man, there’s always room for personal updates.   And of course the routine Burke bashing.

23. fbkj says:

okay price was signed for considerably less than halak

so in your world where halak was signed and pleks walks

who replaces pleks?

24. J.T. says:

Alright!  Now I hope to see the guy earn his next contract with some great play in the next two seasons.  I really, really don’t want the second act of Carey or No Carey in 2012.

25. avatar_58 says:

FINALLY! \o/

26. RGM says:

YYYYYYEEEEAAAAHHHHH!!!!

—————————————–
    Josh Gorges for Captain!

27. fbkj says:

again nobody said that

however the contract that was signed is consistent with the interview so im not sure what you are trying to say here?

28. punkster says:

How about “What I Did On My Summer Vacation”?

FREE TIMO!

29. joeybarrie says:

Somewhat unsatisfying compared to all the hoopla. I feel like there should be more to it. I said 2.75 was EXACTLY where he would end up per year. I was close. A nice raise for Pricey. leaving us with about 2 million in Cap space.

Now what???

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

30. JD_ says:

Carey Price has signed™. In other news…

31. Kooch7800 says:

RFA.  This is a good deal for everyone

32. nunacanadien says:

Naw, we’ll just bitch and complain that we wasted space overpaying Price to play as the backup goalie again this year and we traded away Halak cause Gauthier says he believes in Price.  More like Gauthier and Gainey who were probably quite involved in getting Carey to Montreal, don’t want to admit their mistake.  So we are stuck for two years as we watch Price sit on the bench like Laraques.  It is pathetic to watch a pro sports player become lazy and figure out how to scam the owner for millions.

33. GrimJim says:

RFA with arbitration rights

34. Mark C says:

Without double checking, he should have two more RFA years once this contract expires.

35. coachdoug says:

Allright now that’s over…now let’s have a replay of that MAXPAC standing box jump…that’s some real news

“Six more years…God Bless You Turtleneck Man!”

36. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

Anyone know when the golf tournament is?

37. Mark C says:

$2.625M AAV seems like a fair deal to me. But, it’s high enough that all the haters will still get their hate on. Who I am kidding? Price could have signd for $1M and some people would still cry foul.

38. _Habsoloutly_ says:

pretty sure he’s RFA again.

39. _Habsoloutly_ says:

I was saying you can’t trust what agents say.  are you saying that this means all agents are truthful and beyond reproach and we should never doubt a word they say?  lmao.

40. MTLForever says:

I think you forget that we traded for Gomez and we didn’t sign him for that much.

41. likehoy says:

the question is…is carey price RFA or UFA at the end of the contract?

- I support Carey Price as the Number 1 Goalie!

42. SPATS says:

Niemi close to signing with San Jose for 1 yr $2 mill no doubt got both sides to cut a fair deal rather than wait and lose.

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH!

43. Kooch7800 says:

So it was around 2.6 Mill then.  Not a bad pay raise. Hopefully his play matches it this year

44. GrimJim says:

Recap of Tony Marinaro’s chat with Gerry Johanson (Carey Price’s agent)

Q: Did Price ever threaten to strike if he doesn’t get 3 mil?

A: silly twitter message, nothing to it. Not one time has that come up, never discussed, never had one of his players miss training camp. Price will definitely will be at training camp, never an issue. Not worried about losing any leverage in negotiations by stating that.

Truth

Negotiations have been very very positive – tone positive.

Truth

Length of time of negotiations is very normal, means nothing. Understands’ peoples concerns, but from inside the business, the time its taking is normal.

Truth

Q: Has Carey asked agent: “get me X amount”

A: No.

Unverifiable

The process has taken time, but zero animosity between 2 parties

Truth

So, who was it saying on the other threads that we couldn’t trust what Price’s agent said?

45. fofe510 says:

I just breathed the biggest sigh of relief since the clock expired in game seven against Washington.

Go, Habs go!

46. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

What happened to the holdout???? So it’s official, it has to be 6 mil! It was a very, very reliable source, right?

47. Kooch7800 says:

Glad that is done. Must have been waiting on the Nemi deal as a gauge. I would not be surprised if the pricing is in the area of 2 to 2.5 mill per

48. Storm Man says:

sounds like 5.2 mil for 2 year is what the deal is.

Well,! it is all up to him now.!

After 2 years he will make the big bucks or he won’t.

He has two years to show what he is worth, and I am betting that he and the team will shine right out of the gate this year.

Brossard, here we come! Camp won’t be long now.!

50. Chorske says:

So what are we gonna talk about now?

Sheesh, that Price guy is SO selfish.

51. otter649 says:

Good News for Price & Montreal Canadiens Fans – Now what will people complain about too short of term or too much $$$$…………

52. Mark C says:

Price’s agent must have called into the Team990 from PG’s office. I can see him now, under PG’s desk like George Costanzia.

53. ndg-luigi says:

ndg-luigi
    It was always a foregone conclusion, but the French press had to find something to throw in the face of Canadiens management.Tony Marinaro was right as usual.

54. LA Loyalist says:

Ok. The point is not that Price has choked the past 2 years, the point is that management brought him up too young and too fast and didn’t bring in a veteran for him to play behind and get his feet with less pressure.

The fault is Bob Gainey’s. And we will see if Gauthier and Gainey were right or wrong to dump Halak. 20 games and we’ll know.

I’m not blaming price he shouldn’t have been put in that position. Roy was an exception and spoiled us.

55. LA Loyalist says:

in the mid-80’s there was a sushi bar on st laurent called – wait for it – sushi bar (I think) it had black walls and van der graf generators. very exotic for the time.

I doubt any of you guys would remember it, but I think it lasted a while.

“Always order your sushi bien cuit”

56. Storm Man says:

I will take 4-5 odds it is Adam 10-1 bugs 20-1 Tony.

57. habsfan_61 says:

ever the optimist eh?

58. Storm Man says:

Adam is passed out in his mom’s basement. He was overjoyed that Price signed. He has something to talk about for the next 2 years.

59. ManApart says:

Sulk over what? Do you ever say anything even remotely worthwhile, or you just happy showing all of us how you can impersonate a 5 year old child?

60. Psycho29 says:

Autoerotic asphyxia can be very dangerous…

61. saskhabfan says:

When alcohol does its taxes,it claims adam as a dependent.

Leafstv “telling their fans they deserve to win for over 40 years”

62. saskhabfan says:

Don’t like it when somebody throws your own garbage in your face? Move along small fry. Or perhaps go mountain biking with adam,its apparently 9 times safer then riding a horse.

Leafstv “telling their fans they deserve to win for over 40 years”

63. Mr-T says:

Well since you want to be arrogant and obnoxious, you are incorrect again.

Support Carey Price        “Hypocrisy is not a virtue”

64. K-hab25 says:

LMAO!!!!!! You are correct, again. This time I know I’m right, I hope. :-) 9.5 mill more, for 24 more months. How’d I do?

65. Chorske says:

My exact words back, in all likelihood, before you were born: I said I personally wouldn’t offer him more than 2. I said I suspected the Habs would go anywhere between 2 and 2.5. Seems pretty bang on to me.

Mostly, you’re still too new on here for me to care much whether you believe me or not.

66. Chorske says:

we need an age limit on here

67. K-hab25 says:

I’m 33 and have been coming here for 3 years, you know, when people like you, courneyer12 and g-man were on Huet’s nuts. Before Robert L. and JT’s sites took off and they were still regular contributors to HIO. For your information chemistry teacher.

68. K-hab25 says:

Somebodies panties are in a bunch.

69. gatorhabs says:

Now we are ready to begin the real work.  Let the season begin. soon. Its still golf season.

70. Sheldon says:

Our long national nightmare is over!

Your national nightmare is going to be in office in 2 years. Can you say President Palin?

72. Laramy87 says:

with 2.2 million is cap space, i think PG should try and sign Guerin to a 1 year 1 mil contract. Hes a solid veteran winger and with the American presence on the team, i think he would welcome the idea. Why not, he can still play

73. Tag says:

Good signing. I expect great things from the Habs this season.

Open question to those who oppose everything Carey Price:

What would it take in tems of wins, GAA, save %, etc for you to get on board with the idea of Carey Price as the Habs # 1 ?

74. Sheldon says:

Nah, thinking Republicans such as myself decided to pull the lever for Obama in 2008 after they picked her for Veep and there is nothing that has happened since that has made me rethink my decision. The Republicans need to just get a crew cut and start from scratch.

75. Sheldon says:

You know, we could easily fit in The Breezer with the remaining cap space!

76. habs913 says:

travis and josh = moen and gorges?

GO HABS GO

77. _Habsoloutly_ says:

rumour has it they’re going to use the cash to bring MAB back on board.

78. crabvader says:

Delighted!

Very glad Price was signed for less than 3mil/per.

79. Wamsley01 says:

82-0, 0.00 GAA, 1.000 SV%

80. Sheldon says:

Might have enough for both! I will of course give Price a pass for every single shift that those two play in front of  him. It’s only fair!

81. _Habsoloutly_ says:

the other rumour going round is that Price will strike if they bring back MAB.

82. saskhabfan says:

Source? Considering gainey had price traded to tampa last summer for vinny. Looks like your theory just floated away like a fart in a hurricane.

Leafstv “telling their fans they deserve to win for over 40 years”

83. crabvader says:

Maybe we can sign Jay Mckee?

84. Sheldon says:

He also has been known to make the odd glorious breakout pass as well which makes signing The Breezer redundant.

85. JIMVINNY says:

All jokes aside, that’s probably not far from the truth.  While it’s not fair to expect perfection from anyone, his detractors will expect it from him.

thinking Republicans – if ever there was more of an oxy-moron let me know

why don’t you brainiacs take back your party from the religious fringe wing-nuts who’ve hijacked it,

or do you think we should be teaching in schools that the earth is 6,000 years old too?

87. Say Ash says:

You forgot the 20 assists and 5 empty-netters…

88. volcano62 says:

A winning record!

He’s got the flowing, wavy hair thing down pat too!!!

90. ooder says:

pretty cool.. this kind of makes me think of the plekanec signing last year.

pleks had a pretty bad season and yet still got a raise on a short term basis.

he came out and was on fire this year.

hopefully same thing will happen with price.

——————

88 is the new 23

91. LA Loyalist says:

You’re not allocating for the horse’s cut.

92. Malreg says:

I think we’re pretty set with good depth on D.  Markov, Subban, Hamrlik, Spacek, Gil, Gorges, O’Byrne, Picard, Carle/Webber…

I wouldn’t mind picking up some scoring depth, someone like Bill Guerin could be had for pretty cheap I think.

93. SeriousFan09 says:

Pleks spent the off-season hanging out with Jagr though, maybe Price should have vacationed with the Dominator ;)

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

94. Sheldon says:

It’s just easier to vote for the Democrats. Taking the party back would force us to interact with those knuckleheads. The sad truth is that most of us who became Republicans in our youth — the first president that I voted for was Ronald Regan against Jimmy Carter — are in reality what used to be known as “Cold War” Democrats, i.e. hard asses on foreign policy but very liberal at home. I don’t care how many Tea Party events they hold, the current brand of “conservatives” are done like dinner.  The fact that the rest of the World has cut Americans an enormous amount of slack after the election of Obama has greatly reduced the probability of something really stupid happening. And without that, why would anyone vote for those morons?

95. Sheldon says:

Any truth to the rumour that the Ulster Defense Force is tracking you?

96. LA Loyalist says:

Sigh. I’m not opposed to Price. I’m opposed to how Bob Gainey and subsequently P.G. handled him and our goaltending needs the past few years.

We are now in a position where Price has all the pressure in the world on him, and it didn’t have to be like this.

that’s all. Let’s hope he does great, because if we have to get a goalie in March it won’t be pretty around here.

97. Muckbringer says:

keep it for mid season upgrades

98. crabvader says:

With all due respect to our current D-core, none of them are really physical. Mckee would probably be cheap and would be that in your face type of d-man. As it stands now, we only really have 2-3 guys that can potentially do that. O’Byrne (plagued with inconcistency), (Gorges, not really punishing but lots of energy and guts) and Hamr… another inconcistent yet valuable guy.

I wouldn’t mind having Mckee for cheap.

99. Sheldon says:

In hindsight, it’s really unfair the way they are giving him grief for doing rodeo stuff when The Breezer was racing freakin’ cars during his career. Unless of course, some were hoping for an accident?

100. LA Loyalist says:

how did this site get political? I can’t keep up.

101. crabvader says:

Sure… Yeah, why not. >.>

102. LA Loyalist says:

is there anyone we can afford who hits like Rick Green or Dave Manson – not superstars but no one wants to skate down their wing?

103. Sheldon says:

Peace in Northern Ireland killed the quality of that country’s music!

104. Sheldon says:

Well, the great issue has been settled. Price has signed. Complaining about the dough or the term just seems trivial. It’s either politics or a barrage of prospective line combos. Come to think of it, the line-combo posters must be on the endangered species list given how infrequently they post.

105. RS says:

O’Bryne has to become that guy.

106. crabvader says:

My music sucks? :(

I miss line combos.

108. Malreg says:

Who would you take out of the lineup for him?  As it is, there isn’t even room for O’Byrne in the top 6, and he needs to play to get better.

109. ari says:

isn’t it strange that he signs a day after the strike news.and for only 250000 less.

110. RS says:

I’m not a Price basher, I’m a Price sceptic.

I’d be content with a minimum 30 wins, a maximum 2.50 GAA, and around .920 Save %. That would be a good solid starting goalie, especially a young guy. Hopefully he could be even better the next year.

Of course, it would be nice if we made the playoffs. And it would be even better if he didn’t have a meltdown in the playoffs.

111. SnowManHabs85 says:

I’m happy if we left the cap space open for our prospects. Can’t always start the season at the ceiling, you know what happen to the Hawks. Lapierre said he was working out harder than seasons before and even Pouliot said he was gonna produce more muscle weight to his size this off season, even Pacioretty shown he has the muscles to jump over Gionta. Who knows, maybe Ryan White has grown more muscles as well, you know how he did against Bill Guerin.

I wanna see how our current roster goes into the season, and maybe I’ll jump on board of the bandwagon of signing a more physical player.

112. Muckbringer says:

halaks response to the signing…

113. ooder says:

oh man i loved the dominator.

i remeber cheering him on when it was a terrible Sabres team taking on the flyers.

that guy was a beast in the true sense of the word

——————

88 is the new 23

114. pic1983 says:

Spector’s latest piece on sportsnet.ca:

“One more thing …

Bad news for Maple Leafs and Oilers fans. Eklund says your teams will make the playoffs.

That gives you about a four per cent chance. Have fun with it!”

I love it when even the mainstream media takes shots at eklund!

Love how in his “price signs” update, eklund made sure to say that the habs were working on something big.  The guy says every single day that a team is working on something big, and nothing ever happens! Even he must actually be starting to think hes an absolute joke!

115. geo_habsgo says:

He might be a little overpaid with this contract but you gotta take into account that the organization did not have too much bargaining power in the deal. With Halak gone and the trading of Desjardins there is not many viable options to fall back on. Whatever, it is what it is I think that at this price he has the potential to be a bargain for the team and it is not long enough for him to be a major liability financially speaking. I still have faith that if he buckles down he can deliver some very solid play for the team.

116. Muckbringer says:

who else here felt the rest of the team played better with jh in last year?  im thinking that was a sign of less confidence with halak in.  yes he stood up and answered the bell. but what if we played that way infront of price all year? think he just might respond as well?

117. likehoy says:

well if pleks and jagr are czech and both currently active in hockey, wouldn’t that mean price should be hanging out with an active canadian…say like martin brodeur?

- I support Carey Price as the Number 1 Goalie!

118. LA Loyalist says:

like in case we need a goalie… I’m just sayin… we’ll know in 20 games.

119. LA Loyalist says:

no! no! no! no line combo postings. god please!

if you really have to go to http://www.guycarbonneauasdesperatecoach.com

120. tophab says:

it did not come down to halak or pleks. halak would have signed for the same amount as price if they would have made him an offer. bob made no offer because price is his horse. bob is still the gm.

121. Tag says:

Those are reasonable expectations in my opinion.

122. emann_222 says:

Finally .. the madness is over.

And as uch as I was a supporter of Halak, I will back Price and give him all my support.

You can do it Carey and we all have faith in you. Prove the nay sayers wrong … including me.

123. Tag says:

I agree there have been mistakes made by management, Price’s people and Price himself. The result of those errors is a lot of pressure on Price.

What would be acceptable to you in terms of stats?

124. Duracell3 says:

Hasek still plays for Spartak btw, but yes Price would be with some BC goalie in this setup.

125. Number31 says:

Good. Now drop the puck already.

126. Mr. Biter says:

Irish music is great. Beats the hell out of German music & I’m German. Plus the girls doing River Dance dress way way better than the German girls in Lederhosen. Back to hockey, now that CP has signed whose’s the next whpping boy?

127. Ground Chuck says:

So… have Adam, Tony, Shiloh, ManApart, Volcano and Xtra’s heads exploded yet?

128. Duracell3 says:

While I’m fairly critical, as long as the team makes the playoffs and he plays reasonably in the playoffs I am happy.

I’m not that hung up on stats, but if you wanted to make something, more wins than loses would be a start.

129. LA Loyalist says:

WE HAVE A WINNER!!! First mention of “lederhosen” and “whipping” in the same sentence in 2010.

2009 we don’t talk about.

130. Shiloh says:

Too late for that – I went into mourning when we gave away our Number 1. Hope Price has another gear and he plays super – but still sad about the way we treated Halak. All he did was work his ass off, get better every year and put the team on his back.

131. The Cat says:

You forgot that he saved a few jobs along the way too.

132. Mr. Biter says:

Yeah, vote Democrat equals 13 trillion $ defcit, 9.5% unemployment, riuned economy (unless your a govt. employee), kissing and bowing to every Diictator or Arab leader. Oh no it’s all Bush’s fault.

133. Ground Chuck says:

For Halak’s effort he struck it rich with a contract that’ll pay him far more money than he thought he’s ever see when he was drafted lower than a snake’s belly. It’s hard to feel too sorry for the guy.

134. ooder says:

amen.. that’s a really good point cat

——————

88 is the new 23

135. Tag says:

Fair enough. I agree that the best regular season stats in world mean nothing if he doesnt bring it in the playoffs.

136. Mr. Biter says:

What’s the prize?

137. LA Loyalist says:

You know Tag, honestly, I don’t think it’s only stats. Joe Thornton has stats and I wouldn’t want him.

What I’m looking for is focus, concentration – he has the physical tools, the focus that enables the big save at the right time, not giving up a goal late in a period, not whiffing on long floaters, challenging the shooters… all the things that build confidence in the team in front of him which in turn enable the offense to be just a little more aggressive, have a little more swagger.

Any hockey team feeds off its goalie to a very large degree, though some here might debate that.

If Price has truly matured he will have the concentration and focus to do the job and keep his cool and the stats will follow.

Go Habs!

138. Omit says:

It’s funny how easily Americans forget who caused all the problems in the first place.  No wonder they are on a fast sinking ship.

139. K-hab25 says:

Oh hell yea!! Who called it? That’s right, me. I told bugsy yesterday he would probably end up signing for 2 years at 5.5. It’s funny when you do a little research and use facts, not biased opinions, you can see Price’s worth at this point in his career. The “Franchise” is signed and for alot less than the messiah was given in St.Louis, 8 million less to be exact.

140. The Cat says:

I dont feel sorry for the guy myself, he got a good contract and he earned it. But when I see Halak and Moore -who were so integral to the run- get discarded like they did, it makes me wonder about the criteria the habs work under. Based on principle; you got to keep those guys.

141. LeeFree says:

Great news – I wasn’t too far off in my prediction on the length and money of the contract. Now it’s up to us fans to put aside last year and to rally behind Carey this year.

142. fbkj says:

ever fly down to NYC and watch halak lose 4-0 at msg?

i did

143. The Cat says:

Congrats k-hab, though Im not so sure you’re in such a select club.

144. The Teacher says:

DONKEYS!

145. The Cat says:

Man thats terrible. Imagine goalies having off nights and losing games. The nerve.

146. habsfaninboston says:

NICE!!  And with change to spare.

147. fbkj says:

i love halak

im team neither

team habs

lord knows i pay enough for my season tickets

being said i can retort to douchey posts, with douchisms

i never faulted the guy just as i dont fault carey when he has off nights

then again your a nords fan so like you matter

again, douchisms ;)

148. K-hab25 says:

I know, it’s just I hit it right on the nose. Alot of people were in the ball park, like I was with Halak, who I thought was going to get 4 yeaer 4 mill dollar and he got 3.75. Sorry for bragging, I was just happy that he had signed.

149. GrimJim says:

LA dresses in lederhosen and whips a cardboard cutout of a HAbs nemesis of your choice…

150. zozotheclown says:

Errrr…. what are we going to talk about now?

151. Chorske says:

I followed that discussion. In fairness to everyone, pretty much half the site called two years at 2-2.5. In fairness to Bugs specifically, Bugs’ point did not concern Price’s relative worth, but rather, what made sense to offer him given the team’s cap situation and Price’s performance.

Saying he was signed for 8 million less is ridiculous. Might as well say he was signed for 24 months less as well. It’s irrelevant.

152. Keith says:

Put em thru the ole meat grinder Chuck lol!

153. Chorske says:

Easy trigger. See my above comment about how about half of us- including yours truly- made this call as far back as April.

154. Tag says:

Totally legit. I agree with all your points.

I used stats so there would be something concrete and easily answerable, but you are right, stats don’t tell the whole story.

GO HABS!

155. Mr-T says:

The Prophet is not very good at math. Halak signed a four year contract for $15 million.

Support Carey Price         “Hypocrisy is not a virtue”

156. HabFab says:

OR a Guiness…

157. Keith says:

Hurricane Earl.

158. fbkj says:

seriously though im just busting balls

being said people have to realize that it came down to halak or pleks

“who do we have in our system that can replace halak” was answered more easilly than “who do we have in our system that can replace pleks!”

period

159. The Cat says:

Thats pretty cool, I mean you know who I am. I dont know who you are but good luck with your ‘Im trying to impress everyone with my I got a lot of money and season tickets schtick’.

160. The Cat says:

Plekanec vs Gomez, Markov vs Subban.

161. fbkj says:

no clue who you are nor do i care to ever know

and this is the internet, chances are im lying :)

nice call on pointing out how douchey my reply was after i pointed out that i can be douchey, next up, call chris farley fat!

162. JaysHabs83 says:

Here’s a little Carey Price poetry (near the bottom): http://is.gd/esVhO

163. K-hab25 says:

I’m sorry, don’t pity me fool. Halak actually got 7.5 mill more than Price, feel better now BA. Oh for 24 more months, you feel better now Chorske?

164. K-hab25 says:

Show me where you posted anything about Price getting a 2 year 5.5 mill deal. Most people, like you, were saying he shouldn’t get more than 2 mill. Then you try and say you said it during the last month of the season, BS!!

165. Storm Man says:

No that would be your forte. You got the trademark on that.

166. ManApart says:

Your still making your usual insightful comments I see.

167. mike g says:

…..

….

THAT’S WHAT SHE SAID!

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

168. ZepFan2 says:

How’s humble pie taste?

LMAO @ you

————————————————————————

– Steven Tyler

169. ManApart says:

You are kind of embarrassing, you are aware of that, right?

170. Psycho29 says:

Hey hey!! You’re not allowed to post something positive and intelligently thought out on here! MODERATORS!!!!!!!!!!!       :-)

It’s a good deal for Price and a good deal for the team. He just has to do what he’s paid to do and that’s stop the puck.

I wasn’t a big fan of Theodore when he was here but I still wanted the team to win.

I didn’t care who was in nets last year, I supported both guys. Same thing this year……It seems like a lot of posters here (or is it posers?) want nothing but failure to prove them right….

Time will tell….

171. Everlasting1 says:

Hope he doesn’t gag on that silver spoon..Auld may not pan out.

Don’t pollute the water.

172. petrov14 says:

Nice. So much for being “on strike”.

______________________________________ Gionta for Captain.

173. ManApart says:

For what? Because he signed? Never said he wouldn’t. Said he should have just taken the qualifying offer and be happy for it in the first place. He got more than he deserved, good for him. If he doesn’t back it up, he’s the one that will suffer. So be it. Read your  post on the last thread if you really want a good laugh. Foolish.

174. saskhabfan says:

More embarassing then someone who never gets anything right? Just another notch to add to your long list of miscalculations. Like the saying goes”if you first don’t succeed,skydiving probably isn’t for you.”

Leafstv “telling their fans they deserve to win for over 40 years”

175. punkster says:

Best part of this news…What should we do with the $2M plus Cap space? Let’s hear it folks.

FREE TIMO!

176. Storm Man says:

Manpart the more you think the more rediculous you become. I hope you know that.

177. SeriousFan09 says:

Good enough deal provided he lives up to it. Time to see what he brings this season, still can’t forget his first year and a half in Montreal, impeccable record at the time and I don’t doubt that talent can be channeled for great success in the future.

Once again, the definitive Carey Price compilation.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

178. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

YEAH!

Exactly, I told everyone that the 3 M article was total BS.

Now, off to training camp!

179. SLONCOLD says:

first of all Mac is da bomb. Secondly, why r u hating on jaro… he was such a horrible player in a habs uniform lol

that being said i’m happy carey is signed:-)

180. petrov14 says:

Wow, just scrolled thru the comments and found mostly verbal diarrhea from eternal pessimists. In 2 years we will know a whole lot more about our “franchise player”. I hope its good. But then it will cost $$$. I guess we will never win, Especially on this site as of late.

See you all at pre-season.

______________________________________ Gionta for Captain.

181. petrov14 says:

MAB!!! lol

______________________________________ Gionta for Captain.

182. ManApart says:

Did you read his juvenile post where he’s trying to be clever (fail) in saying ” Price is better than Halak, na na na na na” I mean really. it’s not even true, but even if it was, there may be a better way to express it, no? Maybe it’s just me.

183. volcano62 says:

What a stupid move again by the Canadiens. An underacheiver makes as much as a goalie that took out the #1 team in the east and the defending stanley cup champs?

Now i’ve seen it all!

184. forskis says:

Since according to some media and the haters he was going to be on “strike”…I guess a 24-hour strike it was.  I wish all other strikes could be so short.

In any case, as a Price-guy…now that he is signed, he has two things to do to calm everyone down and remove any ammunition from the haters:

1)  Do well in the regular season;
    2)  Once (1) is accomplished, have a good playoffs.

Just like every other player everywhere, that’s it, that’s all.  His head seems to be continuing to get into the right place, so let’s hope for some good things from him this season.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

185. fbkj says:

I for one am a HUGE fan of expressing themselves in a fair and respectful way, however he was clearly being tongue in cheek!

186. forskis says:

Um…Halak is making at least 1MM more than Price per season and for more years and deservedly so.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

187. fbkj says:

i dint walk away from apple as much as they walked away from me

being said i love my iphone 4

loathe the ipad

and have ordered the new apple tv

windows 7 ftw

oh noes

188. mike g says:

Really?….

Please explain how, because we all know this bs treatment towards Price will never stop. In MTL, it’s like some fans and members of the media love to run players out of town for some reason, and then all turn around and cry and bitche when they become superstars elsewhere. Then you guys all complain and say, ” Well, we trade our best players and they become stars elsewhere. Why wasn’t he good here, Tabarnack!!”

Well, maybe it’s because of idiot/classless fans like you that judge people based on rumors.

Well, here’s one rumor that I’ll make up about you: You’re 34 years old, you stay at home all day playing Warcraft and eating Doritos “Spicy 2.0″ chips all day long (yeah I know, they’re awsome). Your keyboard is stained red with the spice of the chips, and you’re hoping to one day win the lottery in order to afford McD’s. You drive a Sportex bike from Zellers, and have 6 cats. One of them is named Sprinkles; very cool name. You come on this site all day long to stirr up stuff because your life is really boring. And, you refresh your Twitter acount page every 20 seconds hoping that a bird will send you a msg.

There ya go. A totally fake story about yourself, or maybe it’s true? But, all I know is that for people like you, if it’s on the internet, well then it’s 100% true. No questions asked, no debating, it’s the certified truth. Now everyone knows who you are as a person and what a bum you are.

And that’s how it feels to be Carey Price.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

189. mrhabby says:

sounds good to me fair dollars i say. the idea is to cash in if he plays up to his potential at the end of the contract. No reason not be optimistic..i hope the team plays well in front of him.

190. mrhabby says:

wait until tradeline.

191. forskis says:

At least you are taking the wait-and-see what happens this season approach for Price…that is all we can do at this point.  In your sig, what is the last word?  “Think, therefore, ???”

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

192. Rugger says:

For laughs I just looked at Eckland, to paraphrase, now that Price is signed, Habs doing something else…and it’s big!

193. LA Loyalist says:

that was hilarious.

I will lay off Price for 20 games. Really. I know I’ve said that before.

194. forskis says:

Hey, hey, hey…there is nothing wrong with being in your 30s and playing Warcraft…although I would not do it while eating Doritos…I like a clean, crumb-free keyboard.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

195. fbkj says:

SPRINKLES?

NOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM!

196. LA Loyalist says:

this from a guy with Jack Daniels as his Abatoir?

197. ManApart says:

Even at my worst I make more sense and tell it like it is better than you have ever shown on this site. I mean why are you even on here? You have absolutely nothing constructive to ever say.  You just spew trash all day. Waste of time.

198. LA Loyalist says:

I was a bit shocked about his discovery that you earn ice time. I thought you learned that when you are 9 or 10.

199. LA Loyalist says:

what about the smart vitriol? doesn’t that count for anything anymore?

200. SnowManHabs85 says:

2.75m for a #1 goaile sounds good to me than 3.5m-5.5m

Even Miller and Brodeur can’t get past the 1st round of the playoffs, no doubt Price’s past is in the past. Here’s hoping we’ll be scoring to be higher in standings than 8th.

201. ZepFan2 says:

Because he signed? Never said he wouldn’t…

Really? You didn’t post this…”but it is certain that Price is not accepting Montreal’s offer”. I’m sure you did.

I’ll ask again, mo-mo. How’s humble pie taste? LMAO

Every time you make some kind of matter of fact statement, it ends up being wrong. Congrats!

————————————————————————

– Steven Tyler

202. Jordio-oh says:

He’ll make way less than Fleury and Ward this season, and less than Leclaire, yet has better career gaa and sv%. Yes, I know the first two have won cups, but they also had Malkin, Crosby, Stall etc on their teams.

If you think 5.5 over two years is too much, you’re truly touched in the head.

203. RiverviewCanadien says:

Sweet. Glad the kid signed. No more RUMORS…

Now can hockey start!

204. ManApart says:

I never judged Price on amything but his play on the ice. I don’t care about anything else. If the guy had played like Halak last season I would be 100% on his side through contract talks, or anything else. I am a big fan of Halak because of his play and what he has become. I am on Price because of his play and because he gets more than he deserves and ultimately I feel this hurts the team. So whine about rumours all you want, if Carey played like he was billed up to be. Montreal would love him just like they did Halak.

205. JD_ says:

You know, seein’ the arguin’ shift to Good Contract v. Bad Contract is such a refreshin’ change from the weeks of absolutely ridiculous BS over somethin’ that was about as predictable as my next meal.

Like a breath of fresh air. I’m completely serious.

Havin’ said that, this new debate, whose emergence was also about as predictable as, oh I don’t know, Carey Price signin’, should start to wear thin in a couple of days.

With that in mind, I’d appreciate if some among you, you know who you are, could start a series of other banal arguments with each other. See, and I think I speak for many on here, I’ve come to realize I don’t mind filterin’ through page after page of useless infightin’, it’s just the tedium that arises when the useless infightin’s always about the same topic.

In other words, let’s all try to bring a little variety to the BS on here cause, as you know, variety is the spice of life.

Anythin’ will do, really.

206. ZepFan2 says:

Even at my worst I make more sense…

Only in your mind does it all make sense.

The rest of us think you’re whacked.

————————————————————————

– Steven Tyler

207. mike g says:

Hmmm..not really.

Why is it that when Price would let in a bad goal, the Bell Center would sound like 20,000 pigeons?

“WTF is Price doing! 5th overall pick, my a*s!”

But meanwhile when Halak got hosed some games, allowing 4-5 goals, nothing was ever said?

“Well it’s ok, Halak didn’t play a good game. It happens”.

There’s a pattern in there, and it didn’t just happen once. It was after every game, or every bad goal. Price struggled last year, I can’t say otherwise. But to say he stank isn’t fair. Every single game is decided by a teams effort. If the players couldn’t score a goal vs Nashville when Price made 52 saves, well he played well. If they couldn’t beat SJ when he had an incredible performance of over 50 saves again, not his fault. Maybe if he wins one of those games, he gains confidence and goes on a little roll of 4-5 straight wins.

We don’t know, maybe that woulda happend and he woulda had a good year. Hockey’s a funny game, a bounce here and there and you win. Ask the Caps about that.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

208. ManApart says:

Hmmm, If Price accepted Montreal’s previous offers before today, then why didn’t he sign months ago? I mean are you being serious?

209. joeybarrie says:

Most interesting day on this site for awhile.

To see some of these posts is absolutely hilarious. CRAZY comments to down right stupid ones.

2.75 for a backup was one of my favorite. 2.75 for a guy who has had 3 chance and now a 4th was a good one. I guess we quickly forget Price’s first season. I mean FRANCHISE PLAYER is starting to sound to me like ‘Maverick” or “Joe Six Pack”.

Really entertaining stuff. KEEP UP THE NONSENSE, I like the laughing.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

210. Storm Man says:

Give some to HIO to hire some MODS.

211. Top Corner says:

NOICE!!!

212. mike g says:

Anytime!

It’s Thursday, just got paid, what else to do but feel like I’m on top of the world.

Plus, ma boy Carey signed!

Might just wear his jersey tonight……might just do that..

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

213. petefleet says:

All I can say is he had better man up this season and earn the money he just signed for.  The spoiled brat stuff and the partying had better be over.    It’s a long season if AA is the man between the pipes by Xmas.

Go Habs Go

214. ManApart says:

Overall fans know what is happening. They knew that as a whole Price was not getting the job done, so turned on him a little,just like they do on any player who isn’t pulling his weight. Halak was saving the team, even though some games he played bad. As a whole he was doing the job and way beyond. That is the sole reason for the love of Halak and the cool reception for Price. If their performance s were flipped last season, so would be the fans’ sentiments.

215. fbkj says:

totally disagreed on the fans intelligence especially when it comes to mob mentality

they also boo the american national anthem, wear black face and had a protest to re-sign kovalev (lulz)

216. ManApart says:

People who made those comments have valid points actually, but whatever. Also, a goalie named Jim Carey had a nice 1st season also, guess we should sign him too.

217. fbkj says:

because thats how negotiating works

218. Storm Man says:

Im PO when I look how much I pay in taxs each pay-day. I may just move to Vermont.

219. fbkj says:

how was he in junior? in the A? at the worlds?

220. bennykchui says:

When did 2.75 = 3.75?  Man, I better go back to school and learn my math again.

221. punkster says:

I like this one :) but I hate the thought of all that space going to waste until then. Invest now for the future!

FREE TIMO!

222. Propwash says:

Pepsi vs Coke perhaps?

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

223. TripleX says:

‘Cogito ergo doleo’    I think therefore I am depressed.   The motto of a true cynic.   LOL

224. gatorhabs says:

3.75 for both goalies sounds even better!

225. ManApart says:

Who cares? This is the NHL buddy, not junior.

226. Sheldon says:

A beach is a place where a man can feel he’s the only soul in the world that’s real…

227. fbkj says:

or the AHL or worlds

if you are suggesting that these levels arent a barometer for talent than i dont know what to tell you

is it definitive, nope, but this kid dominated all of these 3 levels and wonn an NHL playoff series, in one years time

228. Muckbringer says:

im already there brother! got my price 1910-1911 centennial on and some bacardi gold on the go!

I hear the champagne tastes better state side too.

You’re pissed?!?!?!?!!? Move to Quebec. Fortunately living in the greateset city in the world compensates for the tax man pilfering my earnings.

230. Muckbringer says:

yeah and hes getting stl fans talking which=much needed revenue

231. Muckbringer says:

.25c rebate cheque to every true hab fan on the planet?

232. Storm Man says:

I was born and Lived in Quebec for 24 years. I did my time.

233. LA Loyalist says:

you should get your elipses synched.

234. Muckbringer says:

re:page after page

you re-read your post?

235. Mark C says:

Cannot compare Price to Carey. Carey was utterly horrid after his one good year. We’re talking .886 SV% bad. Price has at least been okay, at worst.

236. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

So, I guess you can compare Halak to Jim Carey too, right?

237. Muckbringer says:

k, you think thats a good highlight reel…..

238. HFX-HabFan says:

So Price’s cap hit was 2.2mil last year, getting a modest raise to 2.75 for the next two years.  Not bad.

239. BJT says:

Ripped on ‘em when he wasn’t signed, ripped on ‘em now that he is. For crying out loud, you don’t even know how much they signed him for!

Formerly known as Camel_Larry

240. Chorske says:

I’m all about saving itfor the trade deadline.

I’d deal Spacek and use the space to pick up that huge power forward puck moving defenceman with nice outlet pass leader in the room who plays with jam and sand and north american grit who doesn’t drink or smoke or drive and is also nice to his mom. We find THAT guy, HIO will at last know peace.

241. ManApart says:

Well the man is signed, and it’s up to him to come through or go home. This is it, no more chances. Good luck to him. He’s gonna need it. Sick of talking about him now. So lets take a break and wait until camp or the beginning of the season to comment on the matter.

242. habsfan_61 says:

been a while since i lasted posted. mostly reading about the same thing day after day. gets a little boring after a bit.that gotten off my chest, finally,the price man has signed(dont know the $ figure yet). now hopefully we move on from there. training camp starts soon cant wait to read the posts about that. thanks carey for finAlly putting ink to paper. now, lets get this shiznit on the road and go habs go.

243. habsfreak13 says:

Woohoo! Finally! This was getting me worried to the point where I believed my uncle when he said Price had been traded to the Wheeling Nailers.

244. TripleX says:

So Carey has a girlfriend in Tri-Cities!  I hear a lot of tears in Priceland.  LOL

On a serious note Carey came off very well in his interview, I for one was impressed.  He was thoughtful, somewhat humbled and showed a maturity that was refreshing.  It seems he is not afraid of the huge challenges ahead but is prepared to face them head on.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

245. mike g says:

Price signed, but Habs World still ain’t perfect….

Now that he’s got a contract, get ready for:

- Price trade rumors, because he’s got a low cap hit.

- Price trade rumors, because he’s a high reward type player.

- Halak is still the almighty creator of mankind. Earth, wind, water and fire were all created by Jaro. Carey Price created PC, and Jaro created Apple. Even though most people know that PC crashes sometimes, it will still always outsell and be more widely used than Apple or Mac’s. But, you’re always gonna have those little groupies that love everything Apple, even if they release something pointless.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

246. drivefor25 says:

It’s evident that nothing will satisfy the Price haters on this site. I’ve been a fan for almost 40 years and have cheered for the Habs through good years and bad. I’m becoming disgusted by the ignorant vitriol spewing out here on an hourly basis.

Fan since ’71

247. Caper says:

We’re set to go. Some room under the cap and the season starts 5 weeks tonight. With the exception of some trolls, we’re all Hab fans and we can finally sit back and spend more time discussing our expectations for the upcoming season. I for one feel that with a second year for all the “new guys’, things will only be better.  With P.K. and more youth on our third and 4th lines, my only concern at this point is when does our best player come back.

248. WarHero says:

You are correct :) However, I doubt Picard will see much action.

————————————————————————

249. deuce6 says:

Don’t we have 22 players under contract? We signed Picard to a 2 way deal, no?

Cammy-Plex-AK

BP-Gomez-Gio

Laps-Eller-Moen

Pyatt-Boyd-Darche

Markov-Spacek

Hammer-Subban

Gill-Gorges

(O’Byrne-Picard)

Price/Auld

250. Rugger says:

A little misleading, he isn’t really giving up 10M he is delaying it a year and if lucky could get double that if he goes in the top 5 next year.  Yes, it’s a risk, he could get hurt or the college team could collapse but it’s not like he is walking away from pro-sports.

251. RGM says:

Would anybody? LOL

—————————————–
    Josh Gorges for Captain!

252. CharlieHodgeFan says:

Maybe there’s a tip involved….

253. HFX-HabFan says:

Marinaro tweeted that it’s 5.5 over two years, not the earlier reported 5.25.

254. WarHero says:

This is a great contract for both sides folks.

The Habs get 2 more years of price being an RFA.

Price gets arbitration rights for those years.

The cap space the Habs save allows us an opportunity to either pick up a guy if we get a major injury or be used to pick up another “Dominic Moore” (there are many of him out there) at the deadline, if needed.

Good job to both sides :)

————————————————————————

255. adam76 says:

When Price starts the season 4 and 11, will you be man enough to admit you were wrong, or are you going to chalk it up to bad luck / bad bounces.

256. Mr-T says:

SUCCESS…Final Standings…Tied for 18th position=No

SUCCESS…Playoffs…Won 14[15] of 19 games=Yes

SUCCESS…Year…Total 14 out of 101 games=No

257. TomNickle says:

And now with the pressure on like crazy and the following season being a contract year.  Watch this kid destroy the league.

It’s hilarious that a large number of fans are underestimating the degree to which Halak’s accolades and off-season departure will motivate all player, possibly none more than Carey Price, to be successful this season.

They will have a very large chip on their shoulders and will break their backs to prove that last seasons’ success wasn’t due to #41.

258. K-hab25 says:

The hell you say!! Halak wasn’t the sole reason we won games last year? Can’t be Tom!! It just can’t be!! I saw him with my own eyes beat teams by himself. He was out there all year playing 19 on 1. I saw it with my own eyes Tom!! These lies your spreading, are just not right. Halak won every game by himself and your smear campaign won’t change that. You, you Pricebot!!!

259. petrov14 says:

Oh no u didnt! lol

______________________________________ Gionta for Captain.

260. Caper says:

Cheap at left wing-Ruslan Fedotenko? $550,00 1 year. Looks better than Darche. He also drops the gloves a couple of times.

261. WarHero says:

He was a bust in Pitts with Malkin & Crosby … not so sure we wanna try him, lol

————————————————————————

262. adam76 says:

4 – 10, 2010.

263. Caper says:

Thoughts of Hurricane Earl stressing you out Adam?

264. adam76 says:

I got my water, bring it.

265. Bill J says:

Having had to go through a Tornado this summer. (literally drove through the path of it about 20 minutes before it arrived)

I wish you all safety

INCLUDING Adam76.

266. Caper says:

LOL! I’m an ex-patriot from N.S. I’m suffering with the Southern Ontario heat. Good luck Adam.

267. Omit says:

Adam

Are you man enough to make a wager on that prediction, or are you just a loudmouth seeking attention?

Your response will reveal just what type of person you are.  $200.00!

268. adam76 says:

Money bets to strangers on the internet, what could go wrong?

I promised HIO that if Price is 5 games over .500 at the all star break,  I’ll buy a Price jersey – put it on and make it my avatar.

You can love the Habs, and still be realistic enough to see that Price doesn’t have the testicular fortitude to be successful in Montreal.

269. adam76 says:

Naaaa – NSP is a well run crown corporation – what could go wrong?

270. volcano62 says:

Aren’t you the generous one? With Price in nets the Habs start 2-7-1.

271. Omit says:

Talk about a lack of testicular fortitude.  It fits you to a tee and it is not surprising at all.  This way, you can keep trolling at will.

272. habstrinifan says:

Wont happen!!  Well not to the TEAM anyways!

To clarify, the team will NOT let anything get in the way of a winning start to the season. I dont think any of the ‘unpredictable’ players is getting an abundance of ‘mulligans’ this season.

I believe PG and JM are just as ‘gung ho’ and optimistic as we here on HIO because of last year’s playoffs, because of young additions to the team, because of chemistry forged from last year and last but not least because they are definitely ‘under the gun’ to maintain the momentum and progress towards the NHL upper level that the team made in the playoffs.

Even if you have doubt about PG’S acquisitions and trades and how he spent his cap money, I hope you will agree that he has gone about eliminating many of the festers that affected the team in the past two seasons.

Price may go 4-11 (would be a personal tragedy for him) but not the TEAM! The die is cast. The Canadiens of yesteryear are being re-assembled. No room for long term mediocrity anymore.

One underrated example of how quickly and decisively PG moves is his acquisition of Dominic Moore. Within a short time of his appointment he made the trade. Questionable at first but greatly impactful on the team’s success after.

And conversely how decisively he jettisoned Moore. No qualms about how it would look like he had short changed himself by what he paid for the acquisition of Moore.

So no 4-11…. for the team and probably for Price. If he plays that poorly and is trending to that record, he will be gone!

I kinda trust PG to make bold and quick moves. Would they be all good moves… the results will speak to that.

At week’s end I am editing my profile to remove HALAK as my favourite habs. His work ethic and quiet resilience in the face of an unappreciating management impressed me a lot and I have used him as an example to young men I deal with in my volunteer work.

Secretly Subban/Camallieri are (emotionally) my favourite players. But their selection is too easy.

I will pick either Eller or Auld. Unheralded players who could set a huge example for the team.

If either of them shows the dedication and purposefulness in their work as Halak did and improved at their craft as Halak did, then he would be a favourite among many more fans.

The team is ready! Let the season start! And rest assured, there will be no 4 and 11 streak.

Good Luck Carey! Fulfill your promise!. You are a HAB!

273. Caper says:

Was he playing on their lines?

274. WarHero says:

Yup, until he got sent to the press box for the playoffs. lol

————————————————————————

275. volcano62 says:

Calling PG a donkey is insulting all the donkey’s in the world.

276. gatorhabs says:

I say perfect money for a young developing goaltender. But that is because I believe that this will not get ugly and may in fact be quite remarkable.  This we will be able to see immediately from the beginning.

277. ManApart says:

Too much money for a guy who was relegated to a back-up last season. THat donkey PG painted himself into a corner, so had no real choice. Well now it’s all on Price to see if he can finally live up to the billing. We all know how the last few years have gone, but the kid gets one more shot. Personally I think this is all going to get ugly, but we’ll have to wait a few months to see.

278. Mats Naslund says:

got any comparable contracts that would suggest you’re right?

dream on then.

279. fbkj says:

yes the 3 million he demanded was far too much money

280. Storm Man says:

Manpart you would know about ugly.

281. mike g says:

Blah, Blah, Blah….

Thnx for the expert opinion.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

282. saskhabfan says:

AWWWWWWW……poor little panty waist maybe you and Adumb can sulk together.

Leafstv “telling their fans they deserve to win for over 40 years”

283. habaddict_andy says:

Yea, this is gonna get ugly good.

284. LA Loyalist says:

he played worse! you don’t get a raise for playing worse, or maybe you do!

285. ManApart says:

After the year he had last season? Definately.

286. alfieturcotte says:

Well, what do you think — do you think his performance in 2010 was stronger than 2009?  The answer is a resounding NO and accordingly, his pay should not have increased and likely should have decreased.

287. DavidKB says:

Bonus? For what?

288. Chorske says:

The contract is fair, it gives both parties wriggle room.

That said. Ooh, my stats whiz brain is hurting at the math going on here tonight.

Fuzzy math. Like WE SIGNED PRICE- AND FOR 8 MILLION LESS THAN HALAK! Or PRICE IS OBVIOUSLY TWICE AS GOOD AS A STANLEY CUP WINNING GOALIE!

We need to go back to the old report cards. And correcting in red ink.

289. habstrinifan says:

On the day that I am under the weather Carey signs! Congrats to all HABS FANS, halak-nites (like me) and Price-Bots alike. It sure was a wild ride all summer wondering about if and when.

Now we have a team! GO HABS GO!

Hope I feel better tomorrow to read all the comments. Must be crazy mad!

I would be amiss if I dont say shout out to all PriceBots.
    Your faith was justified.

GO HABS GO!

290. K-hab25 says:

You’re a Halak-ite, not “nite.”

291. habs001 says:

price will be fine with the habs but lets be frank this team has to play way better than it did last year…in the regular season we were outplayed in about 80% of the games. if we lost game 7 in washington would posters still be so optimistic on this team?. we have a slow d that will get caught plenty of times on breakaways and 2-1 ones.. the key on this team will be ak46 , pouliot and 3rd and 4th line scoring…dont forget camm was scoring at a 52 goal a season pace in the playoffs and gion at 35 goal but without anyone else really contributing we looked like vs the flyers as in many reg season games. the 3rd and 4th line offensive contribution was poor and many of the goals they did score were bad goaltending by the opposition goalies..we also lost a lot of faceoffs in our zone at key times and won to few to start the pp (face off stats should be broken down based on where on the ice they are taken as plecks may have a good overall % but it seems he hardly ever wins a faceoff  at the start of a pp or during a pk in our zone… i believe we have many potential good young players that in 2 years from now we could be serious contenders but right now we have too many players that are really not that good but because they are on the habs we fans overrate them but if they were on other teams we would not be so blind in evaluating their talents or realize they are not as good as they were in their younger days

292. rocketsglare says:

Price now must demonstrate that he is deserving of being the #1 netminder by playing up to his

ability and potential. Management has done all they can to help him acheive his destiny and now

it is up to Price to realize it.

293. Habsforlife 1959 says:

Now that Carey Price is signed. Well JM have the confidence in playing CP or let CP be the backup in favor of Alex Auld. Who will be the Habs #1 scapegoat this year? Start with Ryan O’Byrne as the front runner.

294. DavidKB says:

Or maybe a “Halak-tite”.

295. WarHero says:

Hey Folks, from time to time I write blogs on http://www.Hockeybuzz.com and
    have just completed another with my Habs point predictions for the
    Wingers for the upcoming season. Please feel free to give it a read and
    comment away.

My article on the Centers can be found here:

————————————————————————

296. Sith says:

GREAT NEWS!!!

Screw you haters!

297. jimmy shaker says:

As much as I was shocked by the trade of Jaro, and loved Jaro for what he did and the results he got for our beloved habs, hearing Carey’s interview has really got me charged for this upcoming season.  I wish Jaro well and will relinquish my Presidency of his fanclub and jump on the Price wagon for this season.  I always have liked Carey, but backed Jaro as our number 1 based on his results and the way the team seemed to roll with him in the crease.  Now that Carey has a clear head, and a clean slate to start with this year, I think there is nothing more that he would like to have happen is to come out on fire and shut up everyone of the fickle fans, the naysayers and even (me) the jaro backers and show all of us that PG and the brass made the right choice.  And I really do believe that he is going to do that by his play on the ice and not by his interviews where he has to be politcally correct.  Maybe a littler Jeremy Roenick attitude can come over Carey now and again.  But actually forget it, Carey is Carey and that’s it and that’s all!  I think PK is going to help Carey out alot for some reason……I have no facts to back that opinion, but for some reason PK and Carey are going to both help eachother have very large, large campaigns.

Cheers and good luck Price, I’m out!

Shaker

298. Nina76 says:

Hey Shaker..best post I have read to- nite …….      Best to you Carey……do your stuff…………..Go Habs Go!!!!!!

299. Harani says:

That Price interview had some energy! Can’t wait for the season to start!

300. observer says:

habs spokesman said gauthier will honor the media with an appearance on september 13. i guess gauthier is down in the country he loves in vermont right now?

301. Puck Bard says:

Wasn’t rodeo riding a little risky on the season investment?

302. sholi2000.com says:

He was part of team roping.  Never got off the horse. It’s more dangerous driving to the rodeo than in the rodeo.

They Call Me Shane

303. observer says:

big ben was told to stay off motorcycles – horses are even more dangerous. besides you got to feel sorry for the horse. price is no 108 pound jockey – probably around 230 or so plus the big western saddle.

304. G BO says:

should have cleaned house between the pipes. halak to st louis and price to sj for clowe or someone with scoring and toughness then sign niemi. reload with good prospects and get a good tough winger at the same time as aquiring a stanley cup winning tender.

i dont know if im joking or not

305. LA Loyalist says:

we don’t do the good tough winger thing much around here.

306. Propwash says:

Good contract for both sides imho.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

307. megagoten says:

i don’t mind this deal at all, if you look at it in relation to “gambling” ( i love the trade ) jaro away, it’s a fine deal for your #1 goal

308. gw says:

People and their Price hating ways who call themselves fans make no sense. Fanatics yes. Those with the hate seem to think all goalies are amazing right from the beginning and have no ups and downs. Back whoever wear the uniform otherwise you suck as much as you think Price does. Go Habs!

309. observer says:

you dont get it. a team needs only one #1 goalie and this team had one. thats why fans are enraged at gauthier/gainey – i feel sorry for price because he has become a scapegoat for those 2 bad gms.

310. alfieturcotte says:

How does a back-up goalie make $500k more than the starting stanley cup winning goaltender?

Fire Gauthier.

311. observer says:

If it is for $2.75 million that is only one million less than Halak the goalie with the far superior record got. So … if Gauthier had not needlessly raised Pouliot a half a million and signed minor leaguer Darche for another half million in June – Habs could easily have paid Halak, traded Price away and kept a winning record goalie for each of his year’s here Halak as opposed to starting this year with Price who currently is on a 20 wins, 49 defeats decision record since January 1, 2008 to now including playoffs. That’s 20 win decisions in his last 69 games.

312. gatorhabs says:

this jokes is already getting old.

313. Mark C says:

Look on the bright side Alfi, Boston’s paying their back-up $3M more than the starting Cup winning goalie! Hell, 22 goalies have a higher cap hit than that Cup winner. Not so bad huh?

314. sh00n says:

How does a parent fail so horribly at raising their 12 year old and give him unlimited access to the internet?

315. pic1983 says:

Its not that simplistic…but to answer your question:

-You’re “stanley cup winning goaltender” had a below average SV% of 0.882  in the stanley cup final.

-The team in front of your “stanley cup winning” goaltender averaged an absolute bonkers 4.17 goals per game in the stanley cup final.  Not like he won the cup for chicago himself.  He made the saves when he had to but by no means was he spectacular.

-You’re “stanley cup winning” goaltender has a grand total of 42 NHL regular season starts.

-You’re “stanley cup winning” goaltender was undrafted.

316. blu3chip says:

Great news!

Go Price Go! Prove the haters they are wrong!

317. HabsFanNorway says:

Yahooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

Everyone from Sweden, Finland (swedish speaking), Norway, Denmark: Join the Facebook group “Montreal Canadiens Fan Club Scandinavia”!

318. MTLForever says:

I believe this was a good signing. Go Price Go.

319. Storm Man says:

Tony go have a drink.

320. sholi2000.com says:

How pathetic this guy is.  How many different names has it had so far?

They Call Me Shane

Apparently Storm Man’s buying.

322. Mark C says:

That’s gold, Jerry! Gold!

323. Nina76 says:

observer ………………….Knock it off…………………..Price is the man……………….give him a chance.he will do fine if the Price bashers get off his back………………….DEAL WITH IT!!!!!!!!! GO HABS GO !!!!!!!

324. observer says:

very easy to get off the horse! all the horse needs to do is stumble while cutting.

325. sholi2000.com says:

You’re an idiot, you have been for two years now.  Nothing more pathetic than someone who can’t take a hint.

They Call Me Shane

326. observer says:

i know and forgot more about horses than you ever will know. and i have seen before my eyes people(plural) get seriously injured falling from a horse who for whatever reason may have stumbled, fell or got hurt while cutting.

327. GrimJim says:

When was the last time you saw a team roping competition, Tony? I Googled it but couldn’t find a date for the St. Laurent Rodeo. Or are you a regular attendee of the Oak Point Rodeo and Music Festival in St. Laurent Manitoba?

328. observer says:

i worked for many years with horses and went to and saw such meets and other equestrian events. but i even saw people get hurt simply riding. in a competition like the one price was in, any horse could stumble, fall over maybe even land on his own rider or the rider could fall off injuring himself as he hits the ground or get his boot stuck in the stirrup and the horse drags him as the horse would become upset or other things – i really am surprised the habs let him do this. i bet next year they wont?

329. WarHero says:

YES!!! Now we have a complete team!

Let’s drop the puck and get’er going :)

————————————————————————

330. gw says:

Oh I get it. I’m just not taking it as seriously as you.

331. gw says:

Oh and Halak a #1 goalie. Pfft. He was really proven in that role eh? Just because he outworked Price last season doesn’t mean a thing. Their career stats were comparable. Halak may do well, but he is gone. Suck it up and cheer for your team and stop bitching about things that cannot be changed.

332. observer says:

halak had a winning record with the habs EACH year he played here. price is on a 20 and 49 current run. you do the math – playing for the same team. believe me it was not me booing price nor will it be if he falters. and they will if that happens. i like price. i feel sorry for him he ever was put in this spot by those 2 gms right from throwing him to the wolves and trading huet. and now doing it again by trading who i think habs should have kept, there is an old saying “if it aint broke dont fix it” and that was a helluva run habs finished on.

333. LA Loyalist says:

“Just because he outworked Price last season doesn’t mean a thing.” –

the Breezer.

man, I can’t even comment on that it’s so dumb.

334. gw says:

Keep on hating and spewing negativity. I guess that’s a true Hab fan.

335. gw says:

The problem is we’re splitting hairs over two goalies who haven’t done jack all in the grand scheme of things.

So any argument about who is better is very short sighted. They have both been in the league 3-4 years. Both as backups if you really want to break it down. No one was a clear #1.Price has won championships and is now our future.

So now we’re at a point to see who will be the better goalie on different teams. Personally, I don’t give a damn about the choice that Gauthier has made. The point is it was made. People have to stop griping and move on and cheer for this team. All this negativity and going back to the past gets the team or its fans nowhere.

You say they will boo Price if he fails. Yes, they will. They would have booed Halak if he failed too. Hell they booed St. Patrick. I guess that’s how Habs fanatics truly roll.

336. GrimJim says:

“PG Grrrr Tony Smash”

You know of course that Gauthier built the Ducks into a champion not Burke. I am sure there’s a Leafs fan site in search of a new multi-account troll.

338. observer says:

yeah right- by trading selanne and kariya away. about 30 nhl management years and never worked for a team who made the stanley cup finals while he worked for them. id like to see the yankees ever hire a gm with such non-credentials.

339. HFX-HabFan says:

Double post.  Just hammering home Tony’s failings that much more.

340. HFX-HabFan says:

Tony-  Kariya was never traded from Anaheim, he walked away as a UFA.  Your facts are wrong once again.

341. Storm Man says:

Adam needs another drink now.

342. andrewberkshire says:

ARGH! What’s going on! I thought he was holding out because he’s an immature brat!

343. Ian_Habs4life says:

goooooooood !!!!!!!!! its about time !

Photobucket

344. habaddict_andy says:

Nice, finally.  Now I can lay back and relax, until the camp starts.

345. doogmac says:

well this is reassuring news lol

346. Mark C says:

HAHAHA…you mean he didn’t get an offer sheet, stage a hold out, or demand a trade because he hates Montreal?

347. mike g says:

Well, since we can’t all be positive…..

Um…….   PG SUCKS?!

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

348. fbkj says:

2 years makes sense for both parties

349. GrimJim says:

No He was holding out because he has an over-inflated sense of his worth.

350. Muckbringer says:

should have “forgot him” in the car

351. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

Well, there’s 21 goalies in the NHL making more than Carey, so I guess no one can say that PG and BG didn’t get great value on this deal! Anyone? Tony?

352. mike g says:

Tony et all would say that Carey is ranked 60th among all starting and backup goalies in the league..

So basically, any deal would be a bad deal. Even if he decided to play 2 years for free, it would somehow be turned into a bad deal for the Habs.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

353. lBUSYl says:

Good points.

354. Caper says:

Thanks. As usual he is bang on.

I guess it’s time for all you ladies to break out the champagne.

356. habaddict_andy says:

The second link needs a little bit of a seal meat… Eh!?  Get it?

Yes, click the link above

358. Malreg says:

That article is little too rosy, and exagerates a little too much…  It speculates that he could have MAYBE made $10 million a year if he entered the draft, with one scout saying he would have been the 1st pick, another saying he wouldnt have even been a 1st round pick.  At the same time, if he plays college one more year, leads his team to a championship and gets drafted 1st overall, he could make $15 million a year instead, just a year later.

I’m sure that didn’t have a factor in a decision though… :P

359. alfieturcotte says:

Seems to me that Gauthier overpaid for both his goalies by at least $1MM.  Price does not deserve anywhere near this type of raise, probably deserves closer to $1.5-2.0MM.  As for Auld, we should have signed him for no more than 750k.

One blunder after another for this Houle clone.

360. chilli says:

If Gauthier doesn’t pay this money, Price doesn’t sign. He;s our #1 goalie – that’s what they cost.

361. Malreg says:

He made $2.1 million last year after bonus’…  You expect him to sign for LESS than what he made the year before?

362. HFX-HabFan says:

Marek tweeting that Price will make 2.5mil this year, and 3mil in 2011-2012.

363. pic1983 says:

See! The sky isnt falling!

Can we all calm down now and get ready for the upcoming season?

364. nunacanadien says:

Not when you trade the hot goalie to make room for a goalie last year struggled even when healthy?

365. mike g says:

If ya don’t like it, change teams buddy…

That’s business. Sometimes some guys gotta go.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

366. fbkj says:

plekanec is a goalie?

367. Montrealer2 says:

just listening to Price on conference from Kelowna, & sounds bored,.He should be enthusiastic somewhat.

If he rises to his ‘potential’ then 5.25 for two years would be a bargain in this day & age.However if he does play well for the two years & learn to steal some games & also not collapse halway into the 3rd.then he will be in for a raise.

Let’s hope this year is as procuctive for the Habs (in terms of hoow far they go) & hopefully witha lot less drama than who’s # 1 goalie, and whose the coach, & whose the GM ….

Go Habs Go ……………….if you don’t we will collectively lambaste you all soon.. lol

368. Laramy87 says:

thats how he talks tho… You can listen to any interview and he never sounds enthusiac, even after that “fight” with Jansen

369. habaddict_andy says:

He’s always calm in every interviews don’t he?

370. Snipes says:

DOUBLE POST OOPS

371. fbkj says:

they traded halak for pleks because we have more depth at talented young goaltending than a top line center

l

372. TomNickle says:

What exactly in his play was it that would cause him to make excuses?

373. fbkj says:

also re: weight of the world? well maybe if you gave the kid a break he might not feel as much pressure

just a crazy thought

374. HabFanSince72 says:

Exactly.

375. fbkj says:

If their wasnt a cap, wed have pleks, halak and price all wrapped up

however they had the choice of price in nets or lappierre centering kostitsyn and pouliot

which is layers of ouch

376. alfieturcotte says:

You earn the number 1 starting job.  Price did the exact opposite – he was annointed as the #1 and for 2 consecutive years LOST the starting job.  So actually, you get paid based on performance and his performance in 2010 did not earn him the salary Gauthier paid.  That is why I called it a blunder.

I frankly worried that his performance will be no better in 2011, and at that point who will we turn to?  Will there be a Price vs Auld debate????

377. CharlieHodgeFan says:

I want to see Price rise above the level of the opposing goalie. He was too often a step behind last year. I want to see him hold the fort after the forwards have scored a big bounceback goal. That’s when he seemed to lose focus.

These things aren’t reflected in his stats, but they were easy to observe watching him play. It wasn’t just the number of goals against, it was when they got by him. If he can maintain his composure when the guy at the opposite end comes out looking stronger than him at the start of a game, then his wins will match his basic individual stats. He’ll also gain the confidence of his team, and, frankly, the fans.

If injuries are less of an issue this year, and the progression of the young guys up front is steady (Eller, Lapierre, Pouliot and Kostityn, who may not be chronologically young but seems mentally, umm, fresh), the team will be much better. I would like for them to have improved more, but they didn’t. What we have should actually be a better team than last year, except in nets. They’ll likely score more, and maybe have a better defence. It should be a better show to watch, although it’s hard to predict the results in the standings.