Audio: Price gets nod to start tonight

AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Josh Gorges | Gorges interview from Wednesday | Mike Komisarek

Goaltender Carey Price is feeling better, head coach Jacques Martin says, so the 23-year-old gets the start in tonight’s season-opener vs. the Toronto Maple Leafs at the Air Canada Centre.

Price wasn’t speaking to the media on the morning of the game, as per Canadiens’ recent tradition, but he took part in the morning skate and spent a long time toward its end stretching while Alex Auld faced the shots.

From the Maple Leafs room: an interview with old Canadiens friend Mike Komisarek. Skip it if you like…

1. Bugs says:

That’s why we got him on record.

Quite self-satisfied, I smirk as

2. fbkj says:

the horror

~one word: rodeo made him a man — crap, that’s 4 words~

3. mike g says:

So..

If Price gets a shutout tonight, should I board up all my windows and hide in my basement cuz the aliens are coming?

I’ll be piss drunk if it happens, and it would be pretty rude for the aliens to come here and judge all of humanity accoring to a punk-as* drunk guy.

Bah, you know what….I’m keepin the door wide opened. Most of us on here wouldn’t be able to look normal after the shutout tonight.

Peace! Here’s to a good game!

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

4. lefreak says:

fap fap fap fap fap…i’m so excited that i don’t even mind having to listen to benoit brunet’s “oyoyoyoyoyoyoyoy”.

5. Danno says:

Two hours, 44 minutes to go….

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

6. Say Ash says:

I prefer listening to Gary Johnston over Pierre McGuire.

7. lefreak says:

when doubt, blame the goalie!!!!:p

8. HFX-HabFan says:

Hey Mike G did the comment above mine, in caps I might add!  Blame him, not me!

9. lefreak says:

I think the Leafs win 2 -1. I hope i’m wrong. I have a strange feeling that we get off to a slow start this year, and start getting hot once all of our bodies are healthy and in the lineup.

*waits for flames*

go habs go still.

10. Castor says:

COMPLETELY AGREE

11. lefreak says:

you just jinxed it bud…put on rally caps as compensation:p

12. HFX-HabFan says:

I would love to see the comments on here if Price gets a shutout.

13. mike g says:

He should be the full-time MAIN GUY…

Cuz Joe has year after year proved that he’s a full-time playoff/Olympic flop.

Just my 2 black pennies…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

14. mike g says:

NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO….

If we win in OT, that means that Taranna gets a point.

How about Josh scores, Moen scores, Gomez and Eller too.

And for the Leafs, nobody scores. Kessel gets 9 shots on net, and no goals.

That’s right people, SHUTOUT FOR PRICE!!!!

But anyways, my prediction score, 4-2 Habs.

Kessel does score 1, f’kin bastard that guy….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

15. punkster says:

Good stuff as usual Bugs :)

16. Bugs says:

There’s this great article on thehockeynews (I guess I shoulda linked it) that explains why the leafs were SMART not to take Kadri in the fold. Kadri shanking it is a testament to how good the leafs are. It’s brilliant.

It’s teams like “Detroit and Toronto” that have figured how to build champions. And that’s by “developping them”. That’s why Kadri didn’t make it. Because the leafs are champions like Detroit.

It’s beautiful.

Quite self-satisfied, I smirk as

17. HFX-HabFan says:

Apparently he is the full-time alternate (Marleau and Clowe are sharing the other “A”).

18. mike g says:

Bope…

I just find it insane that Dan Boyle’s not wearing the letter following the letter b.

He’s the only dude on that squad to have accomplished anything as far as CUPS in his career.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

19. HFX-HabFan says:

How sweet would it be if history repeated itself and Josh Gorges netted the OT winner?

What is everyone’s prediction for the score tonight?

20. Bugs says:

Habsbros Central is up and running, reporters stumbling all over themselves to give you the inside scoop.

Jack Marty grades the team while our friends to the South warm up to a new season.

Quite self-satisfied, I smirk as

21. lefreak says:

win lose or draw…i am beyond excited that the ridiculous amount of money that i give to the cable company every month will finally feel somewhat justified. I think I watch less than 4 hours of TV a week….the pie chart of this is about to go the other way.

NHL Center Ice, i just called to say i loooooooove yoooooooouuuuuuu.

time to get fat again.

22. SeriousFan09 says:

Let battle commence!!!

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

23. WarHero says:

Great Season Preview by Eric Engels:

————————————————————————

24. HFX-HabFan says:

I think it was discussed a few hours ago when the news first came out.

Better is to drink.

26. SeriousFan09 says:

From everything I’ve ever heard, Joe Thornton is one of the nicest guys you’ll ever meet. From everything I’ve watched, don’t trust that guy in the clutch. I’m sure he’ll be great for the room and respected but he’s not going to help them get over the hump in the playoffs.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

27. adam76 says:

but he has the flu

28. Oddball says:

I’m willing to bet ol’ Tony went to maple leaf university, the school of hard knocks and losers. They guarantee a truculent education.

..always with the negative waves, Moriarty, always with the negative waves..

29. adam76 says:

You know the game, Tom.

30. LA Loyalist says:

Guys, TSN have San Jose naming Joe Thornton captain. Not that we care, but it’s fun to see other teams problems.

What doth thou thinkest, mes amigos?

“insert tagline here.”

31. punkster says:

With a tip o’ the hat to Kubrick:

“Mr. President, we must not allow a glass vat gap!”

32. Storm Man says:

You’re playing me this week…. Good Luck. :p

33. spcbrass says:

I have cold like symptoms sometimes when I get over tired.  I’ll get a dry cough, sniffles, aches and pains, plus I’ll be really lethargic.  It happens when I don’t get enough rest from physical activity.  Usually one or two days off and I’m 100% back to normal.  Pushing the body too hard makes you more susceptable to illness.  When you feel tired, weak, sick, or sore it’s time to listen to your body and get out of the gym for a few days.

34. LA Loyalist says:

She should sauna only at the gym. And sleep. For some weird reason sauna sweat is more effective than workout sweat.

That said, a virus is a virus and has to run its course.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

35. SeriousFan09 says:

I’ve got Duchene and Brouwer as well for that game, plus I’m looking at Van Riemsdyk to start off a great season against PIT.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

36. pic1983 says:

Sweating it out in bed at home.  I hate when people come into the office sick.  You stay sick longer when you dont relax, and you get everyone else sick.  Especially in my industry (i work for a big canadian bank) a lot of tellers and stuff share computers all day, so one person coming to work sick has the potential to get a whole slew of workers sick (I used to be a teller, but thankfully ive been promoted and have my own office now so i dont have to share a computer).  I never understood the “heroes”.  If you work in a back office, and do paper work or phone calls all day, by all means come in to work sick if youd like.  But if you share a computer with colleagues, and deal with the public, just stay home.

37. TheDagger says:

Rest… fluids… Vitamin C… spicy food. And take some days off work (which is what you should want her to do).

38. Storm Man says:

I hope you feel the same way when the week is done…. Have a strong feeling you won’t be in the top 3. :)

39. Lazarus_taxa says:

I read this stupid conspiracy rumour on Hockey30. I wanted to punch my screen, as with most of the stuff they post about the Habs.  Sometimes they have some Ok news, but most of what they post is just made up to get hits.  Can’t you be original and make up your own conspiracy at least?

40. TomNickle says:

Yeah, but I’ve got Stasny too.

When he outscores Kane tonight you won’t be of the opinion that Kane is your saviour. ;)

41. joeybarrie says:

Nope, but it is along the same lines of dressing well. People will take you more seriously… If that’s your goal. Personally I don’t care and barely even notice it.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

42. Lazarus_taxa says:

hahaha! I love that glass is optional.

43. JD_ says:

The thing that got me was someone writin’ the other day that, in effect, the fact the Habs had depth represented mismanagement of the team’s assets.

It’s tantamount to sayin’ you’d hate to be well-compensated cause the tax hit is so huge. The backwards nonsense never ends.

I’m just here to provide solutions.

It’s what I do.

Edit: Been busy. Halloween is nigh.

44. boneheadslanger33 says:

Yes and your posts tend to get a little more respect as most readers assume they were not written by a half wit or an eight year old learning the language

45. sholi2000.com says:

Lots of fluids and rest.  I hate seeing sick people in the gym.

They Call Me Shane

46. SeriousFan09 says:

Ah, Kane’ll get me back in this thing by tonight.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

47. SeriousFan09 says:

Haha, your best work in a while JD :)

Everyone complains we lack depth and then moan when we have to send a good one down because there isn’t quite room for him. It’s better White plays in Hamilton while Darche fills in for 1-game suspensions or odd 2-game ailments, players actually get injured we can call him up and have him fill in but if the team is ridiculously healthy for the first 30 games, White’s on his butt for 27 of them.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

48. observer says:

repeat- he is so sick they are playing him.

49. Chuck says:

You do if you’re educated at a half-decent school. Don’t make me ask where you got your diploma.

50. MTLForever says:

i have sutter in a few leagues that i am in on espn, loving it

51. Chuck says:

Player escro?

52. observer says:

do you get higher grades for good grammar, spelling and capitals?

53. JD_ says:

So, when a rookie is sent back down, he’s not bein’ given a chance.

But, when he stays with the big team, he’s bein’ rushed.

Got me thinkin’ about a potential solution to this “dilemma”. See, the press box is all well and good, but the max roster size in the NHL is 23 players. Then there’s the whole issue of waivers, cap hits, etc…

So, what I’m suggestin’ is that rookies who stand a chance of playin’ for the Habs, but who aren’t quite ready, or there just isn’t room, but who shouldn’t be sent down, or be comin’ up, or sideways, neither here nor there, be put into some sort of limbo.

An NHL purgatory of sorts.

Yes, you guessed it, they should be put into animated suspension in really big vats of formaldehyde, preferably big glass ones so we know who’s in which vat. The vats can be stored offsite, so there’s no suggestion of intent. I’m thinkin’ Belleville, which is just about halfway between Montreal and Hamilton. Of course, body functions can be monitored by people wearing white lab coats and carrying clipboards.

The best part? The language in the CBA regardin’ vats filled with formaldehyde is very, very vague and open to exploitation. Yeah, there’ll be a bit of fancy footwork when it comes to the paperwork, but that’s why we have rooms filled with lawyers a’plenty. Let’s see Bettman try to win this one.

You’re welcome.

54. habaddict_andy says:

My fearless prediction: Price plays better than Halak in the opener.

Scott Gomez to Montreal Media “You’re a pain in the neck, but you’re our pain in the neck.”

55. Say Ash says:

Off topic, but since Price rebounding from a flu is getting a lot of posts, I thought I’d ask the athletes among you (doctors, feel free to make your patients wait a little longer and chime in as well):

A co-worker is going into her second week of a cold/cough that seems to be making little progress. She’s a militant exerciser and goes to the gym every day at lunch hour, insisting that the way to get better is to fight through it and not take a break. So, better to rest the body or sweat it out?

56. observer says:

i dont live on or read every post on this blog like you do. plus my cat killed my mouse and i’m having a hard time navigating with that red button on the keyboard.

57. boneheadslanger33 says:

Observer is very adept at not observing when to use a capital letter whether it be at the beginning of a sentence or with proper names

58. mike g says:

I never pay….

I’m broke.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

59. TomNickle says:

He’s on an 82 goal season pace right?

I guess Sutter’s on pace for 164 then.

60. TomNickle says:

So it looks like Tom Nickle is off to one hell of a start in the HIO hockey pool.

Brandon Sutter, two goals, one powerplay goal.

Jamie McBain, one powerplay assist.

Cam Ward, looking pretty good for an early win.

Look out!

61. mike g says:

Hey observer…

If you would’ve observed the comments in the other threads, the Guillaume story was already posted here.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

62. JohnnyBEast says:

Well said

63. fbkj says:

i see what you did there and i approve

and feel shame for not cashing in on my own pun

well played

you’ll pay for this mike

~one word: rodeo made him a man — crap, that’s 4 words~

64. mike g says:

Did you mean…

get a grippe>?

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

65. fbkj says:

so says you from your ivory tower

PEOPLE GET SICK… get a grip

~one word: rodeo made him a man — crap, that’s 4 words~

66. observer says:

protecting a sick player by using him? no no little boy, he is not sick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

67. Chuck says:

The place will be loaded with Hab fans.

68. TripleX says:

If he wasn’t 100% I doubt Price and the team would allow him to play.  No need to make excuses before the game has even been played.  If Price plays great all the credit, if he plays mediocre all the debit.

By the way the game is in Toronto.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

69. Jordio-oh says:

Even if your braindead conspiracy theory were true, who cares? Your favorite team (supposedly) taking care and protecting its players. Not that any of this will make sense to you.

70. observer says:

car 4 minn 2 late in 2nd period. latendresses scored first minn goal.

71. pic1983 says:

Cant wait for the puck to drop!!! Im very optimistic about this season for some reason.  I think if the habs can avoid the injury bug, they’re going to be a force this season.

I would have started Auld tonight because Carey is coming off the flu and certainly isnt 100% yet.  The last he needs is to have a poor performance tonight because he’s not 100% and than get booed at the home opener by our classless, price hating fans.

72. observer says:

price had a cold yesterday like i had a cold.gauthier playing with peoples minds. if he plays bad it is an excuse, if price plays great like i think he will tonight, everyone will praise price for even trying to play let alone winning the game.

73. Habonic Plague says:

Obviously a huge game for Price – but he will need full support in front of him.  Gill/Gorges will need to be on their game – and forwards cannot take the Laffs lightly.

The Laffs will be looking to throw Price off his game asap.  We need our 3rd/4th lines to respond to intimidation and our 1st/2nd lines to kill their momentum.

Habs will win tonight – if they play as a team.

74. mike g says:

That’a boy Cowboy…..

Now when those ugly kids like Kessel and Bozak come in your crease tonight, cough and sneeze all over them.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

75. SeriousFan09 says:

Win or lose, I suggest a handshake line ;)

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

76. Thomas Le Fan says:

Alright. Hold the presses! I have something intelligent to say about “our friend” Kommunisarek.

Habs Rule, Laffs Drool! Go Habs!

77. Chuck says:

With kisses on the cheek, European-style?  :)

78. HugeHabsFan says:

I’ll share it with you!  I’ve been counting down the days for the season to start.  Can’t wait to get home, get dinner over with and get snuggled in with the kids for the game! GO HABS GO!!!!!!!!!!!

………..

“Thank you Cammy for making my day even more amazing!”

I STILL BELIEVE. I WILL ALWAYS BELIEVE.

Cammalleri: “I almost feel bad for a guy who plays an NHL career without experiencing what it’s like to be a Montreal Canadien”.

79. Thomas says:

C’mon guys, its the first game of the season, can we please get some optimism. Lets SUPPORT this team, lets get behind them an have their backs.  If all you’re gonna do is whine an complain about things you have no control over then so be it, but thats sad.  Why not just wipe the slate clean, see how we do, and give our boys a hand, lets try being positive for a change.

I for one an pumped for this season.  I don’t care what anyone on the Toronto Sports Network has said.  I think we have a good team.  I think we’re better than last year, and could surprise a few people.  Of course this is just my opinion, and I know everyone doesn’t share it with me.

So its the beginning of the season, hockey is back, lets be happy!!!!!!!

GO HABS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!

80. shiram says:

Yup the slate is clean, and it would be good to see more optimism on here. All the negativity is a drag.

81. redgorf says:

as time goes by its getting harder and harder to feel the rivalry between TO and CH because of player content too few home grown involved.

82. RGM says:

That, plus the fact that it has been a rivalry of any real legitimacy since 1967. I honestly do not look at the Leafs as our rivals or competitors. Yes, they’re a team that we compete against on a night-to-night basis, but in the grand scheme of things they are not on our level. Boston and Philadelphia – those are rivals.

83. joshua94k says:

“The Sun has great value if you own a puppy or a parakeet” — Brian Burke Tuesday on Sportsnet’s Hockey Central.

Toronto Sun Columnist Joe Warmington responds:

If anybody should know about icing a team of dogs that was for the birds, it should be Brian Burke.

He has some other gems:

A Toronto Stanley Cup has not only been elusive in the lifetimes of brothers, Moses, 12, and Joshua, 9, but for their parents, too. One thing the Sun, which will turn 39 next month, has never had on its front page is a picture of a Maple Leafs captain holding up a Stanley Cup.

“It’s too much for one guy to shoulder. For us, we’re going to do it as a group. It’s about sharing that responsibility win or lose.” – Mike Cammallerie

84. HabsFanInTampa says:

I don’t know squat about Joe Warmington. But he is now my favorite columnist!

85. Jordio-oh says:

All Leaf jokes aside, the Toronto Sun is such a garbage newspaper. Their headlines are cheap and their stories are borderline fabrications.

86. habrez says:

Gui! I hate that guy

87. Storm Man says:

38 saves for Price?

88. Danno says:

Would you mind if I book it?

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

89. Shawn S says:

Tonight’s game will be forever known as Carey Price’s flu game a la Michael Jordan.  Book it.

90. joeybarrie says:

Agreed. I hate that newspaper. But I have personal reasons for my hatred….

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

91. observer says:

peledeau owns it and he wants a team in quebec city.

92. observer says:

peledeau owns it and he wants a team in quebec city.

93. LA Loyalist says:

The rivalry is really about who gets the national broadcast on Saturday night. Finally Habs got some screen time ahead of Leafs last year.

While there are Leaf fans all over, I swear there are more Habs fans. The number of Habs Jerseys in LA last year for the 3 games in San Jose, LA and Anaheim was, for the last two which I was at, 40-50%, whole rows of Habs jerseys.

It was pretty great.

“insert tagline here”

94. LA Loyalist says:

on how many shots? :)

“insert death threat here”

95. malmn says:

old Canadiens friend Mike Komisarek”

????

he’s the enemy. he’s a traitor. he’s a maple laff. that means he’s not a friend. :)