Audio: Price gets call vs Canucks

AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Brian Gionta | Michael Cammalleri | Carey Price | P.K. Subban | Canucks coach Alain Vigneault | Canucks’ Daniel Sedin | Canucks’ Roberto Luongo, bilingual | Canucks’ Alex Burrows, French

From Canadiens and Canucks practice today at Rogers Arena, in advance of tomorrow night’s game between Montreal and Vancouver:

Carey Price is confirmed in goal for the Habs.

Head coach Jacques Martin would not confirm published report yesterday that D Jaro Spacek is finished for the year. Treatment continues in Montreal, evaluations continue.

Lines were put through Martin’s Magical Mixmaster again as the coach tries to find a spark, any spark, in some guys. Today’s combos: Gomez between Gionta, Pacioretty; Desharnais between White and Pouliot; Plekanec between Cammalleri and Halpern; Eller between Kostitsyn and Moen. Defence pairings were Gill-Subban; Hamrlik-Wisniewski; Weber-Mara. D Picard and F Pyatt were the extras today.

1. observer says:

Washington Redskins once had a player called Johnny O whose name was John Olszewski who wore #0

2. fbkj says:

you bent that as far as you could with minimal dammage

well done

3. habs001 says:

puoliot and ak46 were big keys at the beginning of the season to improve our goals production…last year we struggled in scoring goals and going into this season we needed to replace 38 goals(metro,moore,sk74 and mab) just to match last year which was a poor scoring year…this year only 4 teams have scored fewer goals than us and 2 of those teams are getting very close to catching us…

4. SeriousFan09 says:

Considering Spacek never made the road trip that’d be tricky.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

5. adam76 says:

Good lord, I know you were hiding during the playoffs last season – but I thought you would have at least watch the games.  unreal.

No one can afford Gomez, Cammy can be an asset for at least three more seasons.  Everyone else, is fair game.

6. fbkj says:

jan ninnima, hes a defenceman… this is amazing considering our rash of injuries, he could easilly take spaceks spot

So I guess that Spacek trade isn’t gonna happen after all……..

8. JohnBellyful says:

Please don’t tell me CBC is broadcasting tomorrow night’s game between Vancouver and Montreal. We don’t need another special broadcast featuring the Canadiens in action. Sorry, I mean Canadiens’ inaction.

The Habs’ play has me feeling down these days, especially when they’re down too, er, two. Er, both.

It’s times like these when I try to look on the bright side of things to bring my spirits back up, and I encourage other HIO posters feeling bleu to do the same thing. Here’s my Top 10 list of why we shouldn’t give up on our favourite team.

1. Jean Beliveau symbolizes the Montreal Canadiens at their best. He goes to every home game. Any franchise that produces a player of his stature who still believes in the team has a lot going for it.

2. The team has won 24 Stanley Cups and given us years of entertaining hockey (this is directed at older fans). Who knows, lightning might strike again, if the Lightning don’t strike first.

3. A young core of exciting players led by Price and Subban give promise of a brighter future.

4. They aren’t the Leafs.

5. Even better, they’re nothing like the Bruins or the Flyers.

Did I say 10? Okaaaaaaay … their uniforms are really nice, number six … Danny Gallivan was the greatest game-caller ever, number seven … they aren’t the Leafs… wait, I said that, didn’t I..I got it, I got it, Brian Burke isn’t the manager!! Oh yeah, and we’re still in the playoff run, that’s good. One to go …….. one to go …… one to …our coach is bilingual? We got rid of Lapierre? … Don Cherry hates us, and what does he know!

There you have it, my Top 10 list of why the Canadiens deserve our support. Of course, winning games would make it easier.

9. fbkj says:

SERIOUSLY???

cool we need another defenceman

10. observer says:

youre probably right but there still is a week to go and molson may force the vegan to do something. as secure as they look to at least get 2 home playoff games, so was dallas and in one week became a seller, habs have lost 6 of their last 7 let this continue and the playoffs arent even a cinch. note- when was the last time they won in vancouver? when dale tallon played? make that lost 7 of their last 8.

11. Rainrocket16 says:

I have a bad feeling about this trade deadline! Mostly that nothing will be done…Or..we will get rid of a great player for something we already have. Hopefully I am wrong!

12. twocents says:

So, it’s Monday.

What’s Melnick’s line now?

13. bolder says:

Hopefully this team won’t make the playoffs, and hopefully the Molson’s clean house of this pathetic management. It’s so obvious that this current management team lacks ability to define the needs in order to compete.

It’s pretty clear that the Habs are trying to build a champion. That day however is not today, that year is not this year. For all those people who are tired of hearing wait until next year I have an answer for you. It’s not next year either.

All, well most, of the teams that made big splash trades have way more to work with. I wonder why. Oh yeah, all those years of drafting high in the pecking order or making astute trades for picks and/or prosepcts.

The Habs would be smart to stock up on draft picks in the next two seasons. The farm which was once strong is now getting thinned out because of all the injuries.

Small, speedy players who play in a defensive system instead of a run and gun one will eventually get hurt.

That’s 3 years in a row where injuries have dismembered the Habs.

The Habs need to get bigger and more skilled up front.

The only way that is going to happen is via the draft.

I’d love to see another Stanley Cup run in Montreal. I don’t believe it’ll happen until the Habs declare themselves sellers in the near future.

I’ve been wrong before.

15. TomNickle says:

Excellent avatar.

16. The Cat says:

The Cat’s Tail O’ The Tape: Habs are 15-7-1 on 1 day off and 5-4-2 on Tuesdays. Vancouver are 9-2-1 on 2 days off and 6-2-1 on Tuesdays.

17. habstrinifan says:

I heard that too. If Pierre Gasuthier is adamant that he unloads AK46 before he can do and deal then we better all tuck the chairs in and go to bed. No one’s gonna help him out there. He’s gotta come up with some method of helping the team othe rthan expecting takers for people like ak46.

18. TomNickle says:

Waving the white flag, no pun intended, is not tanking at this point.  This team is riddled with injuries.

This is an opportunity to move Cammalleri, Kostitsyn, Gomez, Hamrlik and Moen to cup contending teams and maximize the return.

Cammalleri would attract a hefty return.

Gomez could get you prospets.

Kostitsyn can get you a prospect and a pick.

Moen and Hamrlik can get you a pick each.

Moving forward with the young core and veteran leaders and trimming the fat is the best way to go.  Insulate the future of Plekanec, Eller, Pacioretty, Pouliot, Subban, Weber, Gorges and Price with the current leadership of Gill, Gionta and Markov keeping in mind that you’ll be adding to that stout core with players like Leblanc and Tinordi and hopefully players like Kristo, Gallagher and Avtsin.

This team has a golden opportunity in front of it to build a team that will be a perennial contender for the Stanley Cup.

Understanding that reality is the next step.

19. TorontoHabsFan says:

Man, a losing streak AND the trade deadline? At the same time?? This place will be insufferable! Well, even moreso than usual!

20. avatar_58 says:

Spacek done? Then for christ sake pack it up and trade away the UFAs. What is this GM waiting for?

I am not advocating tanking at all. Not yet anyways. ;-) Besides, it’s too late in the season for that.

I do agree with you are saying and am advocating those types of moves.

“Those who fight and run away…..Live to fight another day!”

22. Danno says:

Ovechkin to play in the NFL

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

23. PeterD says:

I really don’t want the team to thow in the towel and tank in order to rebuild at this point…BUT…I do agree with your proposal to shed the organization of hte current dead wood and stock pile some draft picks for the future.

I like the ones you want to keep but I would like to keep Cammi as well,  but for sure get rid of Gomez, Moen, Kostitsyn, and give Hammer a chance at a cup…he is a good guy but not much time left in his legs.

“And Scott Gomez is still missing. He’s the original hole in the donut. The place where odd-man rushes go to die.” Jack Todd

24. The Cat says:

I agree. Getting Mara pretty much proved the habs dont want to go for it, but would like and are hoping for a couple of playoff gates.

25. HabFab says:

All power to the “white revolution”!!

26. habstrinifan says:

I think day after PG and JM will be gone.

27. observer says:

i dont hope that, but youre 100% right gauthier after 30 unsuccessful years in the league never getting to the cup finals series even once – he is totally undeserving of being gm of the most prestigious franchise in the sport. and gainey his “advisor” is so brain concussed he couldnt differentiate between a ribeiro and a ninima.

28. fbkj says:

wait how many years?

btw we traded ribeiro? who did we get for him?

29. observer says:

yes great dallas connections. enabled him to get ninimma for ribeiro from them.

30. WindsorHab-10 says:

The only way I would agree with us becoming sellers is if the entire management team is done at the end of this season. I have to agree with most posters that JM’s system is taking away & draining our talented forwards. I chose to keep telling myself that size was overrated in this league but the last game against Boston indicates that it is a must in today’s game. We definitely have a good bunch we can build around & like someone mentioned, the key is to win the cup. That’s not happening this year, therefore the smart thing to do is to blow up this team.

31. PeterD says:

So according to Stubbs on Twitter…JM was “seriously profane” at practice today.  Think I just threw up a little in my mouth at that!

Seriously??…with all the so called veteran leadership on this team and in the middle of a poor road trip and nearing the end of the trade deadline and with a play-off spot not confirmed and in a race to make it…why on earth do these players not get it themselves?

The veterans should not need a bag skate or calling out by their coach at this point in the season, they are supposed to be professionals and experienced enough to know what it takes to get into the playoffs and to know what is on the line every game for the rest of the season.

If this is our leadership core then by al lmeans Pierre start clearing them out right now while we can still get some pucks and skate guards back in return.

32. WindsorHab-10 says:

Would be nice to give PG his walking papers before the deadline but that’s wishful thinking.

33. punkster says:

One other thing. She pulled me close as she was fading and whispered, “…Llamas…don’t ever trust ‘em…”. Then, of course the usual, “…life’s a bitch and then you die…”.

***Subbang!!!***

34. ZepFan2 says:

30…88…blue…23…47%…HUT

———————————————————————— “Young people have seen that a team can play electrifying, fascinating hockey while still behaving like gentlemen.” ~Serge Savard~

35. ZepFan2 says:

Who?

36. J.J. of Turku says:

First I thought: “How about picking up Hagman from waiwers?” Then I found out that the reason why I’m thinking that kind of thoughts… I’ve should have gone to bed for hours ago. So, good night and let’s all forget Hagman with his 3 million $ – contract and 9 goals.

37. TomNickle says:

I’d rather keep Gomez than Cammalleri.

38. observer says:

your list – excellent i might add– what stands out is only 3 kost, pacioretty and plekanec on that scoring list were drafted by the habs(price and subban also were solid picks) this over the entire period these gms have been here. plus trading or losing other high draft picks like hainsey, higgins, komisarek, #2 ribeiro, waste of fisscher, #2 latendresse, i tink #3 lapierre, #1 mcdonaugh, that is why i repeat on top of gauthier/gainey mishandling free agency and trades for most of 8 years they have drafted poorly, traded away too many future #1 and #2 draft picks and your list helps display it. your draft should be your foundation and then you use the other processes to operate. here it is completely messed up by these 2 guys. the team needs someone to come in and straighten this mess out. gauthier cannot be expected to correct himself when he and gainey wont admit any of their many mistakes.

39. christophor says:

Yikes.

No offence.

40. _Habsoloutly_ says:

As I said Tony, it’s very easy to look at a trade in hindsight and critisize it, it’s also very ignorant.  Unless you can prove that Bob was offered a better player than Niinimaa, you can’t say it was a bad trade.  Did it ever occur to you that THAT WAS THE BEST OFFER HE GOT FOR MICKEY RIBS??  I bet in your false reality the NHL is full of GM’s looking to trade you their best players for your underperforming crap ones.  Since Ribby was traded to a western conference team it’s logical to assume Bob was shopping him to the western conference. That happens all the time, GM’s do it to minimize the hurt factor should said player get his game back and start putting up points.  So it’s fair to surmise that at the time that was the best offer Bob got from the western conference teams he was shopping the player to.  As I said it involves variables and risks that you just don’t comprehend.

41. fbkj says:

yeah quit tryin to pawn off your finnish eurotrash JJ >:(

42. observer says:

AK will be a better player for whoever he ends up with next. Just like all the rest, his brother, grabovski, ribeiro, etc., etc.

43. Psycho29 says:

TSN reported on ‘That’s Hockey’ that the Habs hope Spacek can return to action tomorrow in Vancouver…

44. RiverviewCanadien says:

Wait a minute!

Eller is playing center?

45. observer says:

quick! contact gainey immediately!

46. J.J. of Turku says:

Hah! :)

Toskala would be cheap and reliable backup :D

47. fbkj says:

why would gainey need to be contacted he already did the trade

giddy up

48. observer says:

Jean Beliveau must be very sad when he sees what has become of the greatest team in hockey as he sits and watches $7 million players who can’t score.

49. Danno says:

With 39 shots on goal and no score, I’d say we lack finnish :)

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

50. fbkj says:

k now do the same but with suomi!

not as easy now eh smarty pants :)

51. ZepFan2 says:

Who?

52. fbkj says:

and to think mcdonalds made a toskala happy meal toy

53. Malreg says:

Spacek didn’t make the trip and stayed home, so he is definitely not playing tomorrow.

54. observer says:

EVEN the Leafs 7 points out of playoff spot with one game in hand are looking to bolster for THIS YEAR! TSN—- “We’re trying to add – by (Tuesday) if we can. We’re trying to put a player in the lineup that can help us as soon as possible,” Burke said. “We’ve had some discussions about forwards we have to consider, but it’s not our priority. Our priority would be adding a defenceman.”

55. fbkj says:

maybe we can trade ninnima to them?

56. PeterD says:

“I have to agree with most posters that JM’s system is taking away & draining our talented forwards.”

Seeriously?…A lot of talk about how lousey JM’s so called “system” is…but can any one explain how the “system” is preventing our so-called skilled offensive players from scoring goals.

According to NHL.com;

Montreal is 4th in the league for taking shots on goal averging 33.0 shots per game…only San Jose, Boston and Detroit average more shots per game.

Yet the Habs are 5th worst in goals per game scored…with only Edmonton, Toronto, Ottawa and New Jersy scoring less goals per game…

I do not believe the JM system is getting in the way of our offense getting chances. What is getting in the way of our offense scoring goals is we do not have enough talent scoring finishers.  We are clogged up on the top 6 with players like Moen, AK, Gomez.

We need to fill the second line with 3 players that can consistently bury the puck and go to the net and not fear the middle of the ice or the front of the net.

Patches, Cammi, Plek are a good first line…We need Gionta with two more power forwards that can score and go to the net…and those two are not Moen, AK and Gomez they need to be gone any way we can make that happen.

So with the team 4th in the league with shots and 5th worst in scoring, how is it again that the so called system “taking away and draining or talented forwards”??

“And Scott Gomez is still missing. He’s the original hole in the do

Blaming the “system” for the lack of goal scoring on this team is just not warrented in my opinion.  Lack of talented scorers willing to go to thenet and the dirty areas to pay the price for goals is hte reason for lack of scoring…a new system won’t fix that, but new players of a different type will.

57. observer says:

bum’s rush

58. ZepFan2 says:

haha

I’ve got the Price one. lol

59. TomNickle says:

None taken.  I think Gomez is a better hockey player.  And if I had to pick which one I wanted to keep between the two of them it would be Gomez.

60. PeterD says:

We sent our Finnish to Anaheim…so long Saku LOL

61. TomNickle says:

Hiding during the playoffs?  LOL.  You’re hilarious Adam.

Keep chasing that rabbit down the hole.

62. TomNickle says:

He needs six players.  One good two way centreman, four capable defensemen and a good goalie.

One player won’t be doing the trick.

63. fbkj says:

i got all of them

including toskala

-_-

64. smiler2729 says:

Sissy Spacek?

65. PeterD says:

Imagine the Leafs goiing on a 6 game winning streak and the Habs continuing their poor play for a few more games and I see teh Leafs making to the show and the Habs sitting at home…Not something to Laff at…

66. J.J. of Turku says:

Shame on you! :)

67. crabvader says:

Man, what a trade for Pittsburgh… James Neal and Matt Niskanen for Alex Goligoski…

Sid now has a VERY talented winger in Neal.

68. Danno says:

I’m stumped. But hang on. I’ll ask my swami to enlighten me.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

69. ZepFan2 says:

*points finger and laughs*

70. HabFanSince72 says:

The Leafs have been on a selling spree. Burke’s just trying to keep the fans interested.

71. observer says:

ribeiro still scoring and someone said ninama is now available? call gainey. could trade kostitsyn for him?

72. smiler2729 says:

Sid’s out until next season… if he knows what’s good for him.

73. observer says:

or gomez? no even he is not that dumb. only a concussed fool would ever let sather  or anyone lay that contract on him.

74. smiler2729 says:

I’d like to see AK in the press box.