Audio: Penguins, Habs on eve of Game 2

HABS AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Brian Gionta | Roman Hamrlik | Marc-André Bergeron

PENGUINS AUDIO: Dan Bylsma | Sidney Crosby 1 and 2 | Matt Cooke | Craig Adams

The news of the day you should know:

• Andrei Markov is in Montreal being examined after suffering a lower body (right knee?) injury in Game 1. Head coach Jacques Martin says Markov is “out indefinitely.”
• With Marc-André Bergeron and P.K. Subban definitely in for Game 2, ailing Jaroslav Spacek still sidelined, either Mathieu Darche or Sergei Kostitsyn will be back in the lineup
• Pittsburgh centre Jordan Staal has had a “procedure” to repair a severed tendon in a foot, courtesy of meeting up with Subban’s skate. At first deemed to be out for the season, Penguins coach Dan Bylsma said that is not the case and that Staal is day to day.

1. Jbird says:

Hard to top what happened out here at the Oly’s – But that would.  Bedlam!

I really do like their chances although the lack of experienced D could mean that The Canucks will go over 40 years without winning.  I say close but no call.  But they are great.

2. MontrealAtheist says:

Habs in 7 possibly 6.”

Does this prediction come from your heart or your head? :-)

3. MontrealAtheist says:

Why even bother wasting valuable cap space on Price? I think we’ve found our #1 goalie, so we might as well use our cap space wisely and use it on players with a higher return on investment.

4. MontrealAtheist says:

5. MontrealAtheist says:

If the ‘Nucks were to face the Penguins in the finals I’d put my money on Pittsburgh anytime.

6. gp52 says:

PK is great . first he scores a goal, then he knocks Staal out of the series.

7. MontrealAtheist says:

Never mind the ‘Nucks, I would love to see an Original 6 final between the Habs and the Wings, however as far as the Habs are concerned I’m afraid it would take a miracle to make it to the finals (a “real” miracle, not a “beat the Capitals” type of miracle). Tomorrow’s game should be interesting as we will see what type of “adjustments” JM had in store after evaluating game #1 and this may very well set the tone for the remainder of the series.

8. MontrealAtheist says:

I don’t see that happening anytime soon, even if they could find a way to sneak into the finals … In their present form, the Penguins are unbeatable and have to be considered the prime contenders for winning the Cup once again.

9. Drive_For_25 says:

Habs are not close to the cap next year and have 14 signed players.

http://nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=MTL&season=0910   Check it out.

Does anyone know how the bonus cushion works?  The Hawks get over 4 mill and we only have under 2.

10. longtimehabsfan says:

Thanks

11. longtimehabsfan says:

Wouldn’t that be interesting?  What would the conspiracy people have to complain about in such a series?

12. Mad Habber says:

lol, yeah, but I don’t think they should be avoided for that reason..

I would sooner take my chances with him then Kabanov…(From what I’ve heard of the two players)

Both DET, and PENS were cup finalist…where did Carolina pick? I can’t remember…

EDIT: Okay, just looked it up, your right Carolina picked 27th…I always thought it was just to cup finalist that were effected by that…

13. Norcal Habsfan says:

I’m  so annoyed with Bettman and the NBC games that I would love to see a Vancouver/ Habs final with the Habs playing the trap to get there.

14. andrewberkshire says:

His points per game and goals per game averages in the playoffs put him in the upper echelon of the 2003 draft class.

15. longtimehabsfan says:

I’ve been watching them and I am very impressed.  The Kings were not an easy out.  The Canucks are going to be tough to beat.  The year the Habs fired Vigneault they were decimated by injuries and the Molsons had a fire sale with all their valuable veterans.  It was obvious he was a good coach then.  But mismanagement and impatience ruled the day.  And has since.

16. DONJUAN says:

I wathched 1st and 2nd bad nightmare for Hawks.  2 zip after 1st, 11 seconds into 2nd 3 zip. ewwwww

In HABS we trust.

17. avatar_58 says:

I hope so, because I don’t want anyone left in the east to win it if (when?….) the habs are eliminated.

18. SeriousFan09 says:

If Luongo plays to his best, they can do this. Sedins are brilliant, Samuelsson’s become a giant this year, lot of good energy guys on their bottom 6 as well.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

19. longtimehabsfan says:

What a year it would be for the city of Vancouver should they win the Cup.  The Olympics were special.  The Cup would make them wild.

20. SeriousFan09 says:

Drafting “Mr. Hockey” winners from Minnesota hasn’t exactly worked out for us in years past.

Deeper you go in the playoffs, the farther back in the draft you go, DET and PIT selected 29th, 30th overall last year for that reason.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

21. Exit716 says:

Andrei is dumber than a bag full of hammers.

Biggest mistake of Timmins reign of error as scout.

He’s had more than enough chances to prove himself.

Time to move on.

He’ll never get it in the NHL.

22. avatar_58 says:

I only started watching in the third…lol

23. SeriousFan09 says:

I can’t believe I thought the Hawks would take this to 7 games with Niemi versus Sedins in their career year. Canucks in 6, maybe…

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

24. andrewberkshire says:

Niemi happened hahaha.

25. andrewberkshire says:

Sergei’s mistakes and bad tendencies are way overblown. He’s one of the better players on this team both offensively and defensively.

26. andrewberkshire says:

We’re over for this season, but we’re talking about next year. This year our cap hit is 58.773, but we have a 1.977 million bonus cushion and 2.324 million on LTIR cap relief. So we’re technically about 2 million under the cap.

If you want a better site than Hockeybuzz for cap questions use this one.

27. andrewberkshire says:

Likely Huet to the minors and ship off some of their forwards.

28. longtimehabsfan says:

Not by much.  About a million.  There’s a website that tracks the salary cap for all teams.  I thinks it’s either hockeybuzz or thefourthperiod.   We’re slightly over.  Which is probably why we haven’t made any big trades at the deadline the last couple of years.

29. avatar_58 says:

lol suddenly the hab game isn’t so bad. What the heck is happening to the hawks?

30. longtimehabsfan says:

Brotherly love.  I can see why JM gets frustrated with SK74.  If you watch him on the backcheck he is always looking to play the man with the puck and the guy he is supposed to be covering is open.  He likes to cheat.  He’s not good enough to cheat.  Only players the caliber of Gretzky can get away with that.

31. ooder says:

switched to watching Nightmare on Elm street 2.

of all times my friends not to asnwer thier phones… arg

——————

“I like what I’m seeing right now,” assessed Markov. “We’re not perfect, but we’re trying to be.”

32. ooder says:

really the habs?

well i assume they are going to buy out laraque’s contract, MAB will bounce.

but we need some serious space to resgin pleks, pouliot and both goalies

——————

33. ooder says:

wow.. that is mismanagement at it’s finest

what are they going to do lol

——————

34. longtimehabsfan says:

Not a game.  Switched over to Cavs-Celtics game which is getting exciting.

35. longtimehabsfan says:

Yeah, that’s what I’ve been reading, too.  So are the Habs and Flyers and a few other teams.  I don’t know how these rules work really.  There are probably exceptions on the cap.  I know in the NBA you can spend unlimited money to re-sign your own free agents, which is how you can be legally over the cap.  And Bettman came from the NBA so maybe there is a similar provision in the NHL’s CBA.

36. andrewberkshire says:

57.567 million committed to 14 players.

37. andrewberkshire says:

The big one plays best when the little one is in the lineup, and the coach hates the little one. I have a feeling both Kostitsyns will be point per game players as soon as they’re traded, it’s frustrating.

38. longtimehabsfan says:

I know Cherry’s best days are long behind him but if you want to laugh you’re ass off read his book Grapes.

39. longtimehabsfan says:

BTW on the K bros.  We don’t use one and the other doesn’t use himself.

40. ooder says:

you can’t be serious?

they are OVER the cap?!?! not just close to it

——————

41. longtimehabsfan says:

I’ll take that.

42. andrewberkshire says:

Agreed with you completely, although Boucher has been very good so far for the Flyers. Chicago’s biggest problem is that next year they’re already over the cap with just 14 players signed.

43. andrewberkshire says:

Havlak and Lolongo are Don’s favourite goalies.

44. Mad Habber says:

I hope they draft Nick Bjustad…what I’ve heard is he is big, skilled and can skate.

I didn’t realize that winning one playoff round effected were the team drafts…I though Cup Finalist were the only ones effected by playoff preformance.

45. longtimehabsfan says:

You keep playing dude.  I know all kinds of athletes.  None of them can match the passion of a hockey player.

46. andrewberkshire says:

I know, I was just kidding. I would accept a trade for either goalie (and a kostitsyn maybe, since we don’t use them) from Chicago if they offered up Brouwer, Sharp and a 1st rounder.

47. ooder says:

the hawks are getting schooled by the canucks.

its sad to see them try the same paly over and over and over again only to have the nucks stop them.

man Vigneault is a man on a mission

——————

48. SLONCOLD says:

actually he said havlak lol….

49. SLONCOLD says:

because being competetive is more fun than just sitting on a couch watching tv:-) once u start to play, you can never stop, you’ll always have the itch to compete:-)

50. SLONCOLD says:

tell me about it lol right knee in one shot, mcl, lcl and acl gread 3 tears and a hug tear in my meniscus… 3 hours of work to fix that up. left knee, mcl grade 3 tear and acl sprain…. but i’m back to playing hockey 3-4 times a weak(as a goalie) so i’m happy