Audio: Opening Day of Canadiens camp

AUDIO: Lars Eller | Maxim Lapierre in French and English | Mathieu Darche | Ryan Russell | Jarred Tinordi | Ian Schultz

Pat Hickey talks to Ryan Russell

Over.

5-2 Reds.

Mike Cammalleri had seven SoG, as did Yannick Weber.

Carey Price stopped 11 of the 13 shots he faced, Peter Delmas 18 of 19.

Players then went to the indoor soccer field, where Pierre Allard, the new strength and conditioning guy, supervised speed and flexibility drills.

François Gagnon’s 3 Stars: Max Lapierre (2 g, 2 a), Ryan Russell, Alexander Avtsin

•  •  •

Russell converts a great pass from Schultz to make it 5-2 Reds.

•  •  •

“Mike and Carey: We can’t have you, so can we have your sticks?”

•  •  •

Schultz hit from behind into the boards by Henry.

Penalty shot, stopped by Delmas.

•  •  •

Lapierre in alone, but hat trick foiled by Delmas

•  •  •

Reds up 4-2 after 25 mins.

Crowd loves it … and will love it more now that Champion and Delmas are the goalies.

Red lights will get a workout.

•  •  •

Avtsin for the Whites. He looks good.

IAN SCHULTZ SCORES!

Reds are killing the Whites.

•  •  •

Lapierre strips Gorges, skates in and roofs Auld.

He’s hot.

3-1 Reds

•  •  •

Considering it’s his first action, Eller has looked terific.

Excellent skater, not afraid of traffic.

•  •  •

Lapierre flattens Carle, cashes a rebound.

He’s been all over the ice.

•  •  •

Big crease crash: Conbouy drives Weber into Price.

GOAL!

Moen dekes Tinordi, in alone on Auld.

Five-hole

•  •  •

Eller zings one off Price’s left shoulder .. and he felt it.

First goal: Conboy backhand on Price, rebound of a Maxwell shot

JA-RO!

•  •  •

Gomez gives the crowd a wave.

Reds (Team B) vs. Whites (Team A).

First chant: “Carey! Carey!”

•  •  •

Officials take to the ice.

No boos.

•  •  •

They’ve opened the stands … and they’re full.

Zamboni out, preceding scrimmages

TSN sizes up the team.

•  •  •

Not skating: Markov, Hamrlik, Hunter Bishop, Dany Massé.

•  • •

For all you conspiracy theorists who think Kirk Muller coaches the team, he’s at the white board with Jacques Martin at the edge of the scrum.

•  •  •

Yom Kippur Special: Jeff Halpern centring Mike Cammalleri and Travis Moen.

Five-on-five drills.

Scrimmages later.

•  •  •

First knack: Nicholas Champion.

The season is doomed … in Rouyn-Noranda

•  •  •

Jacques Martin at cenbtre ice, watching line rushes.

Among the visitors: Sean Van Allen, a friend of Perry Pearn

First laugh: Travis Moen, in reaction to something Kirk Muller told him

•  •  •

Players out at the side boards, waiting for Zamboni to finish

The camp rosters:

Team A: Price, Champion, Ellis, Nash, Picard, Spacek, St. Denis, Weber, Cammalleri, Desharnais, Engqvist, Fortier, Halpern, Lapierre, Moen, Pyatt, Russell, Schultz

Team B: Auld, Delmas, Carle, Gorges, Hamrlik, Henry, Klubertanz, Stejskal, Tinordi, Avtsin, Conboy, Darche, Eller, Gallagher, Gomez, AK46, Lefebvre, Massé, Maxwell, Palushaj

Team C: Mayer, Sanford, Bisaillon, Desnoyers, Gill, O’Byrne, Subban, Urquhart, Bishop, Bonneau, Boyd, Dumont, Gionta, Leblanc, Pacioretty, Plekanec, Pouliot, White, Wyman

•  •  •

Markov was out for about 40 minutes. Mostly flexibiolity drills with Graham Rynbend. Last bit was a few pucks dumped into the corner, which Markov chased down and outlet passed.

Lars Eller will skate today, Roman Hamrlik won’t

What a hockey town!

An hour before the players hit two sheets of freshly-Zambonied ice, the parking lot of the Brossard training complex is nearly full.

Welcome innovation: A section reserved for media parking. Habs Inside/Out grabbed the first space. We’re laughing … until some bitter blogger from AllHabs slashes our tires.

•  •  •

First out: Pierre Groulx, the goaltending coach, with Carey Price.

Next: Andrei Markov, doing skating drills with athletic therapist Graham Rynbend

Tallest player in camp: Hal Gill, 6’7″

Shortest: The Captain and David Desharnais, each listed at 5’7″

Heaviest: Gill, 250 lbs

Lightest: Brendan Gallagher, 168

Most goals last season: Gabriel Dumont, 51 in the Q

Most assists: 51, Desharnais in Hamilton

Points: 93, Dumont

PiM: Jimmy Bonneau, 187 in the AHL

Coolest hometown name: Kyle Klubertanz, Sun Prairie, Wisconsin

*  *  *

Darren Dreger Tweets: Cristobal Huet will clear waivers and be sent to Switzerland. The Hawks will have to pay him, but the $$$ won;’t count against the cap.

Sen’s fans are used to dealing with narcolepsy. He’ll do just fine. :p

2. B says:

A.Kostitsyn was one of only 4 Habs with over 100 hits last season. His hits per game has gone up in each of the last 3 seasons, from 1.30 to 1.67 to 1.72.

Perhaps he should be focusing more on producing points than having to provide hits? His ppg has gone down from 3 seasons ago, from .68 to .55 to .56 last season. He had twice as many hits last season in 59 games than his usual center (Plekanec) had in 82 games. His other usual/expected line mate (Cammalleri) managed only 18 hits last season. I suspect that if A.Kostitsyn had 25 to 30 goals and/or 50 to 60 points then folks might be less concerned about his hitting or physical play.

Hopefully he will play reasonably physical AND provide acceptable production this coming season. If he had played 82 games last season, his pace would have produced about 21 goals and 46 points which is not really horribly off of his career high of 26 goals and 53 points in 78 games back in 07/08. I don’t think it a big stretch to see him set new career highs in goals and/or points next season (and once again have over 100 hits).

3. SeriousFan09 says:

Leave Gonchar alone! Narcolepsy isn’t easy for him to deal with.

4. punkster says:

Tony’s just gettin’ warmed up. This is his training camp too.

FREE TIMO!

The same Moen who blasted past Gonchar in round 2? Put him on the 1st line JM.

If only. Maybe he’d have some imagination. Problem is he hits it with his head like a hammer on a nail.

7. B says:

Jaime Bell wrote in it that Markov should be healthy enough to start the season with the team.

8. andrewberkshire says:

Very unimpressive. Not to mention they completely ignore that we did in fact get larger up the middle with Eller, Boyd and Halpern coming in to replace Moore and Metro.

9. Mike Boone says:

I defer to Frankie Gagnon’s expertise: Lapierre, Russell, Avtsin

10. JSP1990 says:

Oh well that’s an easy one! Thanks SF!

11. warriorhockey says:

so how did Engqvist look ??

Thanks for the live blog Mike,

You get to pick 3 stars, who stood out.?

13. Chuck says:

It’s never too early to hit the bong.

14. SeriousFan09 says:

I heard Av-sin on the radio.

15. observer says:

Habs could now trade Price and Pouliot to St. Louis for Halak. Since everyone knows Price “has a better future” plus they’d get Pouliot (a player who played so well for the Habs after leaving Minnesota that he got a raise and he would surely want revenge against his former team Minnesota who is in their conference) Blues would surely do it.

16. coachdoug says:

If it was Avtitsin…we would have Sergei’s replacement…maybe he will change it

“Six more years…God Bless You Turtleneck Man!”

17. JSP1990 says:

Sooo anyone wanna help me out with how you pronounce Avtsin?

18. habsfansince91 says:

thanks for the live blog, much appreciated!

19. Chuck says:

Yeah… talk about rehashing what was probably read in a Shiloh, ManApart, or Headbanger33 post here on HI/O.

20. K-hab25 says:

Other than Avtisn’s goal, the rest came from 3rd/4th liner types, very interesting.

21. Harani says:

How does Palushaj look?

“It must be love!”

22. J.T. says:

Jeez, Lappy!  Save those goals for the real season!

23. K-hab25 says:

Eller and Shultz looking good, me likey.

24. Propwash says:

Aye! lol

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

25. Hockey Socks says:

All in favour of Carey Price starting over Alex Auld?

26. JSP1990 says:

Lol! Bit embarrassing eh? I’m sure he’ll be okay though!

27. jbroderi says:

I think we can go a little easy on Tinrodi for now.  Moen is very fast with killer slick hands!!!

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

28. Hockey Socks says:

If you aren’t already, follow Arpon Basu on Twitter. Good commentary on training camp in addition to HI/O.

29. J.T. says:

First pool of the pre-season: Bets on how long before Carle sustains a season-ending injury in training camp?

30. J.T. says:

No kidding…another David Fischer-type first round pick.  Way to go, Timmins.

31. SeriousFan09 says:

Tinordi got deked by Moen? BUST!!!

32. J.T. says:

See?!  I KNEW Muller was coaching the team!

33. punkster says:

Two issues I have with the article.

First the comment that fan “expectations” came crashing down after the Halak trade. That’s nothing more than a media driven, Leafs-centric assessment of the feelings in this town. My expectations for the team didn’t hinge on one player and I’m sure that even the Halak supporter Hab fan expectations don’t either. People were disappointed, sure, but pro sports means you have to expect and anticipate roster changes. Having your hopes and expectations pinned to one single player would be, quite simply, immature. But then that pretty well describes a Burkie fan right there.

Second, the so-called “team’s inability to come to terms” with the Price contract. Another media fueled statement aimed at getting Leaf fans to write nah-nah-nahhh comments about the Habs. I would consider that statement to be close to the truth if Price signed for well above or well below what we expected, one side or the other digging in their heels and dragging out negotiations. But he signed for what most seem to think is a reasonable contract. Inability? Please TSN, save that word for your Leaf articles in the coming season. You’ll be using it extensively.

My “expectations” are that the Leafs will have a recurring “inability” to perform well this season.

FREE TIMO!

34. Hockey Socks says:

A prospect playing in the NCAA. Probably won’t ever make the big club.

I can’t say that I was very impressed with the TSN article.  Mostly the same old, same old about Halak and Price.

36. Propwash says:

It’s gonna be funny if Price lets in a goal during training camp. I can sense the doom and gloom buzzards hovering already.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

37. warriorhockey says:

who the hell is Stejska ???

38. HabFanSince72 says:

Leafs are going to be good any time now.

Denial is a river in downtown Toronto.

39. SeriousFan09 says:

Any word on why Masse is not skating? I know he basically lost the 09-10 season to knee surgery, did he get injured at camp or is he odd man out today?

40. Castor says:

Good

More people underestimating the Habs. When Carey plays very well this year and we don’t get injured and we finish on top of our division (which this team has the capability to do. It’s a fact) we can rub it in to the Toronto Sports Network.

41. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

30 teams in 30 days…Habs turn today.

42. Sith says:

I got up early today cause I kept thinking about the training camp. I’ve never cared bout pre-season, let alone training camp.

43. coachdoug says:

Lol…thought the same thing…I think Plek needs some muscle on his line…No doubt AK46 can hit but he was real timid last year…Would love to see 46 have a big year…

“Six more years…God Bless You Turtleneck Man!”

44. J.T. says:

First meaningless suspicious observation of 2010-11: Team B has Gomez and AK46, while Team C has Plekanec and Pouliot.  Is Martin planning to switch lines for the two inconsistent wingers?

45. coachdoug says:

We need some live streaming video…

“Six more years…God Bless You Turtleneck Man!”

46. geo_habsgo says:

Team A vs Team C would be interesting. Team B is the wild card they can go either way!

47. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Serious …You are one of The Best posters in HIO …You are young and naive at times, but as well very prolific, in an  enthusiastic and substantive way

…but one thing You lack at this time is the visceral understanding of WHAT Our Habs mean to most Quebecers, whether Anglo, Allo or Franco …and HH summed it up pretty well per “The Habs are part of my culture and I identify with them as such. As, well so do the citizens of Montreal and by and large French-Canadians/Quebecois and by extension many Canadians, as well fans all over the world. The Habs though derive their identity for playing in Montreal, a French-speaking city and they are part of that city’s character. That’s part of what the Habs are all about.”

…I Myself decided to leave (reluctantly) My Quebec …yet, I have not forgotten the raison d’etre of the Montreal Canadiens well-explained by HH

…possibly the reason it is difficult for Yourself to ‘connect’ with such feeling from the soul is you were not born or never resided in Quebec …yet, that is also ok, because other than that You are one excellent Habs’ Fan

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

48. Habitant in Surrey says:

…postscript: My apology …this post was supposed to follow a comment from Serious Fan below

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

49. Dennis says:

Thanks to HabsRule 1 for sharing his beautiful tattoo. It’s posted on my site at http://dennis-kane.com/you-gotta-love-this-amazing-tattoo/

50. CanadienBoy says:

If he can play like he did for Carbo.  the hat trick game he will get a better contract and make the Habs better.

51. scrowe21 says:

Artist did a good job on that one

——–

My spinorama shootout goal with Cammy

52. SeriousFan09 says:

I was born in Montreal, I lived there for 21 of my 26 years on this Earth, my parents lived there, my grandparents lived there, I am 3rd-generation Montrealer actually and am pretty familiar with the politics of the province. I’m an anglophone who had to leave Quebec because I wasn’t gifted at
    languages and couldn’t pick up the language well enough to be able to
    make a living in the province outside of a few very limited fields.

Proud to be a Montrealer, however at the same time, I am not a nationalist (for Quebec or Canada) nor am I particularly caught up in the some elements of the Montreal/Quebec culture. I loved the city when I was there, I miss it every day but I have never been one to get overly caught up in the idea that the Habs are required to have a particular identity because of their history or their geographical location. I love the Habs, they’re my team and they always will be, but I’m not comfortable with tradition and past history dictating that the Canadiens must have a particular identity that is based on where the captain and a set number of it’s players were born. Do they acknowledge the history of the club and what it means to wear the CH? Than they’re a good Hab in my books.

53. SeriousFan09 says:

Almost tempted to rip that off for my own…

54. LA Loyalist says:

Pat Burns lived and worked as a cop in the east end of Montreal. Please correct me if I’m wrong. Maybe they’ll get it right in his obituary the next time.

You’re missing the freaking point. No one can be pure wool enough for the separatist minority. That’s the point. Not whether or not he’s from the townships. Jesus. I’m getting off now. That was a really offensive comment, though you probably didn’t mean it that way.

Read some Hemingway, if they still teach it. Montreal, and being a Habs fan, are like Paris, a moveable feast.

To quote America’s second best writer. Or ask Morley Callaghan, he was there. Or maybe he’s not a real Montrealer either.

Jesus. Now I’m arguing with myself.

“20 games to a new tagline”

55. BJT says:

Going with my Dad, if I’m lucky. Went 2 years ago.

Formerly known as Camel_Larry..
    ..”No more Looser on this teams!!” – Canadienboy

56. madcap_habsfan says:

Cammy doesn’t have the two stanley cup wins under his belt the way Gionta does, granted he’s articulate but  i think being capitan takes more then being articulate with the media after games, I’m for Gionta wearing the C this year all the way.I do absolutely agree with your take on Gomez though.

-“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” Chuck Palahniuk

57. observer says:

Troy Tulowitski’s phenomenal home run streak

Tulowitzki hit two more home runs Saturday – tying a modern major league record with 14 in a 15-game stretch

58. fbkj says:

to be honest, agreed, and ill put it out there… there are gays in sports right? considering how metro cammi is it wouldnt surprise me

i say this as someone who is not a homophobe

but cammi is kinda gay lets face it

59. fbkj says:

i repeat

just sayin

and nvmnd

thats called correcting oneself

your lower paragraph is amusing though, im a franco federalist and thoroughly confused at this point

heres where bugs can jump in and go “haha” im more not federalist than you that makes theodore a francophone, or something

60. madcap_habsfan says:

It’s an opinion and Im going to remain in the Price is going to remain healthy and do an awesome job for us camp so then we won’t even have to worry about the so called rent-a-goalie(s)

61. BJT says:

He should do them to the song “comeback kids” by B.Reith…

Formerly known as Camel_Larry..
    ..”No more Looser on this teams!!” – Canadienboy

62. oldrrty says:

Does anyone know who the broadcast team is for CJAD this year now that Murray Wilson has retired?

I don’t care who wins as long as Toronto doesn’t!

63. avatar_58 says:

Now THAT is a tattoo

64. HabFanSince72 says:

For someone who isn’t a homophobe that sounds kinda homophobic let’s face it.

65. Say Ash says:

Benoit Brunet.

66. oldrrty says:

That is not good is it?

I don’t care who wins as long as Toronto doesn’t!

67. Say Ash says:

Aye, aye, aye…

68. Fargo Habs Fan says:

Absolutely!

Anyone going to this game, email me at the contact listed on HI/O!  We can have a mini summit.

-Dustin-

69. otter649 says:

Sergio Mommeso took over from Murray Wilson……

70. otter649 says:

This is the kids second chance his first chance was in a minor pro league in the states (after he left The OHL)& got a long suspension there after he just played a few games – He plays on the edge but has fallen off two times now……..

71. otter649 says:

Pat Burns was born in Montreal & worked as a police officer in the Ottawa area before Gretzsky hired him to coach his junior team in the Ottawa area (Hull ?)………

72. soflohabsfan says:

Gionta only has one cup ring from 2003, Gomez has 2 from 2000 and 2003.

73. habstrinifan says:

Bet you regretted this post instant you hit the ‘enter’ key. Least hope you did. Sometimes when one just ‘puts it out there’, it reveals too much of the little that’s inside.

74. fbkj says:

if you knew me youd laugh, since im more metro than cammi, no regrets here

75. fbkj says:

only to someone who isnt comfortable with the subject :)

76. notbigbird says:

OKay, but I wouldn’t classify half of that list as “get into another players face” type of guys. That’s the line that kind of stuck out for me.

77. LA Loyalist says:

Great post, Serious.

I too would still be in Montreal if it were not for the stupid politics, which I won’t go into here though I am sorely tempted to deliver a ranting explanation to our young posters – but I won’t.

What’s great about being a Habs is the sense of pride, tradition and connection to history – in the modern world where everything and everyone is transitory and disposable that has a special value. That passion and pride are something we take with us wherever we are.

I’ve given The Hockey Sweater (Roch Carrier) to almost every kid hockey player I know here in Los Angeles and they all “Get it”. And as you know, Saku is my favorite player, too. I don’t see any contradiction whatsoever in that because the values Saku brought and lived (which I don’t need to list you know them very well) matched perfectly with the Habs values of the past great teams and the tradition of our captains going back through Kirk Muller, Beliveau, down into the mist. That’s the pure wool test, not if someone was born in Westmount or east of St. Denis

And it’s why we have high expectations of our teams and our management, both on the ice and in how they conduct themselves off the ice. My personal opinion is we shouldn’t even name a captain if it’s not head and shoulders obvious who it should be, though that’s another topic.

Habs players should be chosen based on skill, passion and character, not geography.

Out.

“20 games to a new tagline.”

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

78. ZepFan2 says:

That was a really offensive comment…

Really? Then you must be softer than tissue paper.

In fact, I dare you to point out the “offensive” part.

————————————————————————

– Steven Tyler

79. LA Loyalist says:

You “otter” know. Sorry, I couldn’t resist.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

80. LA Loyalist says:

Offensive? Well, FB corrected himself, so no offense taken.

But what is offensive, and it’s hilarious given that this is a pretty anglo site, is the pure wool attitude of some of the posters that if you weren’t born and raised in Quebec you’re not a true fan. That’s exactly the separatist elitism that we are supposedly all against.

You can read through Serious’ other posts, which I think nail it pretty well. And I’m not going to repeat myself.

As for “soft as tissue paper”? To quote Dyan “Maybe I’m too sensitive, or else I’m getting soft.”

But I’ll go into the corner and get the puck for you anytime, just keep your stick on the ice. :)

“20 games to a new tagline.”

81. LA Loyalist says:

yo, Bred – I’ve seen NHL teams “toasters” (the only one I’ve actually seen is Caps) that burn the teams logo onto the toast. You may want so see if there’s a Habs one.

“20 games to a new tagline.”

82. LA Loyalist says:

Koivu doesn’t have a cup yet, mainly because our management sucked and he didn’t have enough good players around him, yet he was an excellent captain.

So your logic doesn’t hold, sorry.

I should note I don’t have a dog in the fight. I would vote Markov, but I appreciate he’s probably not the right personality type to deal with the media. My real opinion is if it’s not obvious, we’re not ready to name one yet and we should wait.

“20 games to a new tagline.”

83. LA Loyalist says:

… thank you. And I didn’t read the nvmd carefully enough. I’m old and it hit my brain like the pre-ww2 name for the Russian spy service “NKVD” which means something or other in Russian.

I don’t get half the “texting” acronyms the kids use, so for that I apologize.

And I’m just generally upset about Pat Burns, his illness, and how he got passed over by the HHOF, but I guess that’s another rant for another day.

“20 games to a new tagline.”

84. habs fan from stonyplain says:

this is going to be a great season, also with gio the captain this will be great give markov and gill the ‘A’. here are my lines let me know what you think:

eller/gomez/gionta

cammy/pleks/ak46

pouliot/halpern/moen

pyatt/boyd/laps

My defense:

markov/obyrne

spacek/subbann

gorges/gill

we got speed to burn and I love are defense subbann is going to win the calder this year and price will win the vezina and we win the north east and scott cullen is an idiot saying we will be 15th, and number 31 will find a home up in the rafters beside 29 and 33.

85. mbplekfan says:

Eller is not ready for 1st line.

Why is Hamrlik not playing?

86. LA Loyalist says:

soccer is the gayest sport. boy, that will start discussion. My theory is only based on on LA Galaxy /Toronto FC game where I noticed the refs wearing sheer (see through) socks.

That was it. what do you guys think? Don’t say volleyball. that’s not a sport, it’s a game, like golf.

“20 games to a new tagline”

87. habs fan from stonyplain says:

I think eller with the other two will come out and surprise, I put pouliot on the third line as they can grind, cycle and bang, and score. Hammer is not playing as I like the chemistry between spacek and subbann. I also think OB will have a coming out season.

88. SeriousFan09 says:

Today’s player compilation videos to warm up for the season, the vids are courtesy of the inexhaustible corungee, AKA Watsatheo the theme? The hopeful comeback kids:

Benoit Pouliot

Andrei Kostitsyn

89. mbplekfan says:

I would love to see Eller come out and earn a spot with these guys but Im confident that 3rd line center is going to be his spot as the team needs a bigger center more than they need another winger.

Hamrlik will play with Subban.

Spacek is going to cycle in and out with Gill.

There will always be injuries on defence so I dont expect anybody to sit for too long.

90. Chuck says:

So… how long before the you-know-who’s on this site start calling for Peter Delmas to start ahead of Carey Price?

91. observer says:

This may be the last chance year for Weber to make the Habs roster. Or have a future elsewhere?

92. likehoy says:

AK has all that talent but if only he used it every night…

- I support Carey Price as the Number 1 Goalie!

93. homerbowen says:

My concern again going into this season is 1) lack of size and 2) lack of toughness

94. mbplekfan says:

He’s still young. I dont see him playing for Habs anytime in the future but we may be able to get a draft pick for him later on.

95. adamkennelly says:

agree – it is going to be a problem.  this line-up looks great if they were playing in Europe but this is the NHL and opponents will take advantage of the fact that Habs have smaller skilled guys and zero toughness (Moen is a great 3rd toughest guy on any team – but not gonna get it done himself)

Keep your eyes on Robert Mayer.

Not many people realize how deep in talent we are now. This organisation is going to come out of the blocks on fire this year.

Gainey rebuilt the whole structure from the front office, scouting dept, coaching here and on the farm. Got rid of the old boys club and  people throughout the franchise. Then built new from the ground up.

Now it is up to Gauthier and his staff to bring us to the next level. Bob will still be involved in the operations.

98. Danno says:

I’m with you Ian. The much-maligned Bob Gainey has set the stage for a transformation that will silence the critics. Bob has worked hard and has soldiered on admirably through thick and thin and now it is all showing signs of paying off big time.

Can’t wait for the puck to drop. Four sleeps until pre-season starts.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

99. McIntyre18 says:

I think he could make the roster next year, Markov/Hammer/Gill/Georges/OB all have their contracts expire this year and Spacek only 2 years left. There’s some big decisions to be made by PG

100. Chuck says:

A heads-up for all Southern Ontario Hab fans: single-game tickets are now on all for all three games for the Habs in Buffalo:

101. Harani says:

I still can’t get over how BRUTAL these Sabres 3rd Jerseys are.

“It must be love!”

102. SeriousFan09 says:

Leafs are still extending their Liambas sideshow, I almost hope he sees some time with the Toronto Marlies so  Ian Schultz can just clean his clock.

103. Danno says:

Wow! Those tickets are easy to get I think they cost a lot less too. Too bad Buffalo is so far away…

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

104. Chuck says:

They’re not always as inexpensive as you’d think. For their “platinum level” games, a couple of tickets in the lower bowl between the blue lines will cost you $473 USD… and two of the worst seats in the house (last row, top deck in the corner) for that same game will set you back $183 USD.

105. Chuck says:

But not before he tries to impress coach Wilson and smears Nazem Kadri all over the end glass.

106. Fool of Chu says:

I don’t know why I even bother . . .

107. sholi2000.com says:

I agree Ian.  Then again I’m an optimist!

These could be the worst guys ever on ice, and I’ll support them.

They Call Me Shane

108. Danno says:

Can’t go, but thanks anyways Chuck!

Because of their struggling attendance, Buffalo has slotted the visiting teams into five different pricing levels and of course Montreal is at the top end of those price levels. There are cheap seats to be found but only for teams that are slotted in the “value” level, which include Ottawa, Vancouver, Anaheim, New Jersey etc…

So you will pay more than double the price to watch the Habs, Toronto, Pittsburgh, Boston etc. as opposed to those other teams. Supply and demand I guess.

Toronto, only because of its geographical proximity to Bufallo. Surely not because of the quality of hockey they bring…

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

109. SeriousFan09 says:

For a team with attendance issues, yikes.

110. SeriousFan09 says:

Agree, the farm just lost their best offensive D (EVER), but they’re gaining free assets in the Picard, Nash and Klubertanz signings, plus the addition of Dumont, Avtsin, Schultz and Engqvist to the depth chart. Year after, Leblanc, Tinordi and Kristo will likely be on the Bulldogs as well. Good times for the talent pipeline.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

Very much in agreement with you on this one Ian.

112. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

AK is the most talented player on our team. And the most inconsistent as well. He’s right there with Pouliot. Love both of ‘em, hopefully they can bring it on this year – the team’s success relies on this duo and Price.

113. J.J. of Turku says:

Very similar to Swedish national jerseys. Only three crowns are missing… :)

(no offence, or maybe some…)

114. ProHabs says:

Lets hope he takes his “dunce” hat off this year and actually helps the team.

115. J.J. of Turku says:

I liked that Klubertanz-guy when he played in TPS Turku…

116. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

As much as I love Kostitsyn, if he doesn’t take things seriously this year, I woudn’t mind saying good-bye to him.

Cammy should be captain, he’s the most articulate of the bunch, next is Gomez but he’s too much of a wise-cracker. I love Gionta’s work ethic but he speaks like he’s got a string attached to his back. Pull it and listen to the next canned response. Cammy IMHHO will also learn French the quickest of those 3. He just strikes me as being the most intelligent and well spoken of the bunch and that is important. Jean Beliveau was also very eloquent. The Habs need that image represented in the captaincy.

Discuss!!!

118. ProHabs says:

I’m with ya there. I hope this year he lives up to his first round billing. If not, maybe it will be a time for a change.

119. Bill J says:

I agree – not to mention. of the candidates, he is Canadian & resides “relatively” close to MTL.

120. SeriousFan09 says:

He could be from Equatorial Guinea for all I care, can he lead? Than he’s your captain.

Gionta’s prescence in the room and on the ice are more important IMO than how he chats with the media.

121. otter649 says:

Stub Hub (Buffalo Sabres) have a low price of $27.00 to high price $299.00 for Carolina & for The Leafs it is low of $78.00 to $325.00 – Single game tickets…….

122. HabFanSince72 says:

Carey Price stopped 11 of the 13 shots he faced, Peter Delmas 18 of 19.

Let the controversy begin.

Um. I disagree. Cammy has the language skills and intelligence to be articulate in French way more than Gionta. Cammy shows leadership both off and on the ice. He’d make the best captain. Gionta is too working class. Cammy has a certain sophistication which would add to the Habs identity and mystique. That and he’s Canadian. :p

D – I agree.  Cammy would be a perfect captain.  He hails from Richmond Hill which is nearby.  He is held in high esteem and I have never heard a bad word about him.  He has the same length of contract as Gionta.

125. SeriousFan09 says:

Perhaps he should wear a cape and smoke a pipe for the media scrums as well :p

I love Cammalleri’s attitude and his contributions, but I find Gionta to be the better on-ice leader and that’s what I look to first in a team captain.

126. Lazarus_taxa says:

Um. You are entitled to your opinion.  But most people judge success by actual success.  I am a fan of Cammy’s, but where did he win his Stanley Cup?

127. Lazarus_taxa says:

I laughed out loud at this response!

128. Chuck Chuck Goose says:

I don’t know what it is, I’ve barely seen him play (other than this year’s WJHC) but I just have a crazy good feeling about Danny Kristo.  He could be a really key guy for this franchise next year.

So then by your logic Moen is a better candidate than Cammy? It has to do with being the captain of the Habs. Cammy is Canadian and is the most well-spoken player on the team. He was nothing short of prolific during the playoffs. And the major point is that being a very well-spoken, articulate and intelligent person makes him a better candidate to learn French and be able to string together a few sentences together in that language. I am a Montrealer and a Quebecker and believe me the value of that ability is priceless here and can go very, very far in the Habs establishing a liason with there fans. It can’t be shruged off as insignificant. Gionta has a hard enough time stringing together sentences in English. I am a big fan of Gio’s. Don’t get me wrong, but we’re talking about the Habs here and it is my opinion that Cammy fits the bill as the type of captaincy image the Habs should be projecting.

130. fbkj says:

i like gio as captain, but there are qualities that cammy has that i will agree with would make him better suited… verbal skills being the most prominenet… find me a gionta interview where he doesnt say “um” at least once every phrase he speaks… being said i dont see either stressing out over speaking french…

131. SeriousFan09 says:

HH, local media doesn’t care if he was born in another part of Canada, he wasn’t born in Quebec so it doesn’t count to them and we shouldn’t give a **** either what his birth certificate says.

Nothing wrong with the working-class type who’s more comfortable chatting with his own team and on the ice than taking the same 10 or so questions from the media about the win or the loss.  Gionta scores enough, the team wins enough and the fans aren’t going to care about how quotable he is. Cammalleri is still going to be around along with Gomez, Gorges, Subban and Markov who seem very adept at handling the media.

132. novahab says:

Christ almighty first day of camp and it should be Cammy over Gionta  for captain. Who ever they pick lets just support them. Its like Price lets support the guy and see how well he plays before we throw him under the wheels of the bus. I think this is going to be a an exciting yer PK will be a force especially  when Markov gets back. This team will have two powerplay lines and I am picking them to finish first. Sounds like Laps is started off well I think this guy is a way better player than he plays at time i hope this years h gets it and proves he a top 6 player.

133. observer says:

Five months ago, the Capitals became the first top-seeded team to blow a 3-1 series lead against a No. 8 seed, losing in the first round to the Montreal Canadiens. The memory of that series lives on in the slogan on the back of this season’s training camp T-shirts: “Stay angry … believe in yourselves.” – – – – – – – – – – – http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=334229

134. SeriousFan09 says:

Hey, the Commentariat needs to hold training camp for the season as well. Don’t want to go into those Liveblog fights rusty.

135. The Cat says:

Too much pizzazz and too much attention-seeking, it’ll only work against him eventually.

136. Number31 says:

That’s a lame slogan…

“Stay angry…because you still suck at defence”

137. ooder says:

cammy is way to much of a hot head imo.

the guy got into scruffs with lapierre and gorges during practice.

he is super competitive and i dunno if he knows how to motive players in the right way

——————

88 is the new 23

138. Aerobiz says:

Stay thristy… another year with no cup to drink from.

“The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something.”- Randy Pausch

139. The Cat says:

Yeah that episode bugged me. Let him go try and motivate Laraque and Moen lol Gionta could do it, he is the most beyond reproach. But with Cammy, I bet theyd say go eff yourself.

140. Xtrahabsfan says:

I heard the two goals he let in were at the end o game ;0

141. Xtrahabsfan says:

We might have no choice but to keep our eye’s on Mayer!

142. notbigbird says:

And he is more likely to be here for the whole contract and perhaps after that too.

143. likehoy says:

cammy’s on-ice presence is weak compared to his off-ice presence.

i’ve always said cammy doesn’t work hard enough on the ice to be a captain. he’s not the player that will go balls-out and block a point-shot, throw a big hit, or get into another players face to help motivate his team on top of his scoring ability. cammy’s never been that type of player. I would have to give gionta the edge cause he does more than just score goals and talk to the media.

- I support Carey Price as the Number 1 Goalie!

We might also get the WJC and Calder Cup winning Carey Price, NHL style, this season and by extension next playoffs. Nobody’s doubted Price’s physical abilities. It’s his difficulty bouncing back from a disappointing goal or game and regaining his moxy that has plagued him as of late. If (and I’ll prefer to say when) he starts playing to his ability he’ll be Scarey™ Price all right, to the opponents. The rest is team defense and timely goals. No goalie should have to Carey™ a team on their shoulders all alone.

The good news is the Habs have more than one solid candidate for captain. There are at least five players that make that list.

146. likehoy says:

yea for sure, personally i’d have to give it to hal gill, but in long term, gionta.

i wouldn’t pick sides though if cammy got it either. they’re all qualified but we have our preferences.

- I support Carey Price as the Number 1 Goalie!

147. habstrinifan says:

I agreewith you Ian. But would hope for one change as this season and the next unfold. Moves cannot always be made only when when circumstances have reached the critical point. At some point PG (and mngmnt) must make bold evaluation of team and prospects and if necessary put together a major package and maneuver players(salaries) to find cap room and then land the player or two with undeniable credentials to catapult the team to real stanley cup contender,  armed with all the elements of offense, defense (including goaltending) and GRIT.

Notice though I did say ‘if necessary’. It may be that we have all those elements within the organization and can look forward in a year or two to seeing all potential blossom.

The organisation seems stack full of good young players and character type veterans like Gionta and Cam. And even hitherto suspect players like Laps, and yes Price, seemed to have turned a corner. And I think PG may just be ‘decisive‘ and ‘brave‘ enough to make the bold moves when and if required to take us to the next level. Keeping my fingers crossed and ready to enjoy the ride.

148. crabvader says:

The real good news about the scrimmage today isn’t really the rookies, which is fine. It’s Maxim Lapierre.

I’m very glad that it seems he still might have the playoff spark within him. He played to his potential during that time and I would love to see him continue that run through this season.

He’s a terrific player and I loved to watch him during his stint in Hamilton when he still had the long locks haha.

Tremendous skate and more than capable hands that HE NEEDS TO USE MORE OF!!!

And when he hits, that 6’2 frame of his doesn’t give much to the opposing player to wiggle away from.

This guy can very well be the biggest surprise of the season. At least, I really hope so.

Some Lappy vids.

So Subban should never be given consideration? Your logic is astounding. ;-)

150. likehoy says:

all true, but don’t ask max to pass the puck…he might get too confused and it’ll mess up his game.

- I support Carey Price as the Number 1 Goalie!

151. notbigbird says:

Neither was Jean Beliveau and most other captains.

152. scrowe21 says:

Only video i could find it in..but number 8, the two on one with cammy..best pass

one of my favorite plays from last year

——–

My spinorama shootout goal with Cammy

153. LA Loyalist says:

Serious is right. Certain elements of the Quebec media wouldn’t accept a captain from Westmount.

Imagine if Pat Burns (sorry, he’s on my mind but the example is good) had been a player – as true a blue collar montrealer as there is, but with his irish name there might still have been complaints.

We’re never going to make that small group happy, so who cares? screw them. Pick the best man for the job. Saku is a great example — could  you ask anymore of a guy? He’s from freakin’ Finland and most of us still wish he was here.

In fact I watched him practice with the Ducks this morning and he and Selanne both look great – but that’s not the point of this post. Pick the best man, blue collar, whatever. We’ll never make certain people happy so who cares?

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

The media is not the people, and please, give the people more credit than that.

I think Gio is a solid choice, as there are a few more than just he and Cammy, but from a PR perspective Cammy as captain would score in many ways. Bob Gainey and Larry Robinson learned French so it’s not impossible and it does mean a lot to the people that are not the media. I believe Cammy has the stuff to do it since he is so very adept with his primary language. Gio can still lead on the ice and in the room, I would imagine him with an “A”, it’s just that after reflecting on it I am leaning towards Cammy, for the above stated reasons. Gio would still make a good captain IMO but Cammy is my choice.

155. Say Ash says:

His hustle on Moore’s goal in game 7 against the Craps was huge. The wraparound in game 6 against the Pens was huger.

156. SeriousFan09 says:

I’ll give the people more credit when they stop caring what a guy’s birth certificate says.

157. LA Loyalist says:

Go guys! Geez. Cdn dollar is great against the US, go to the Allbright Knox art gallery in the afternoon, have some great chicken wings and water-y beer – dig your car out of the snow in the parking lot.

Life is short. Totally worth it.

I won’t see habs live this year unless I go back east or they do the Calgary/Habs outdoor game – any word on that?

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

158. habstrinifan says:

It would be great if he is Crab… He has given us glimpses of style and flash and scoring touch. I hope the rumours that he was taking boxing lessons were true. Not because I want him to fight but because I think it would help him overcome his tendency to be scared in ‘scrums’ and turtle. If he can do this he WILL be a star player on the team. He’s got all the skills. Hope they stick with him on the right wing. He is NOT a center and hope they dont use the same mantra ‘go to the net’ advice they used on Lats. Give him freedom to be creative and not only be a 3rd/4th line grinder/checker type.

Even if he is in the bottom 6 of forwards they can encourage his crativity.

159. JSP1990 says:

So I keep finding conflicting reports about wether Danny Kristo is a left or right-wing. Anyone know for sure?

160. LA Loyalist says:

… and I’m throwing the goaltending thing in again – even if Price finally does it (which he may) we have no backup better than rent-a-goalies — which may be fine for 1, 2, 3 games but a groin pull could drop us in the standings like an anvil.

Send all the death threats you want that’s reality. You don’t have to like it.

“20 games to a new tagline.”

161. SeriousFan09 says:

Habs Prospects and Hockey’s Future have him at RW.

162. LA Loyalist says:

you are spot on – the other guys are more predictable. What is your take on Eller? Do you think he is ready or a year out?

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

163. LA Loyalist says:

I’m really sorry, but you’ve got Eller, an absolute utter unknown on the first line with the good smurf and the bad smurf?

I hate line-up postings, and this is why. I’m sorry, you can post what you want, but Eller is a cipher – let’s talk at Christmas.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

164. Bar says:

Haha I’m gonna get flak for this, but I applaud this move by the leafs (it pains me to do this), this kid was given a rough ride by the media, I’m glad he has another chance.

~Habs Fans: Killing Prospects is a past time!~

165. LA Loyalist says:

Pouliot is not a grinder – if he has to grind and is not using his (supposedly) soft hands, he will be gone.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

You’re very bitter sometimes SF09. Lighten up a bit.

It is significant for more than just reasons on paper.

The Habs are part of my culture and I identify with them as such. As, well so do the citizens of Montreal and by and large French-Canadians/Quebecois and by extension many Canadians, as well fans all over the world. The Habs though derive their identity for playing in Montreal, a French-speaking city and they are part of that city’s character. That’s part of what the Habs are all about. Also Cammy, more than any other of the new entries, buys into what it means to be a Hab. He’s living out a starry eyed fantasy it seems some times they way his eyes light when you see him talk about being a Hab. That’s why he’s my preference.

167. VancouverHab says:

Cammi has all the attributes that have historically been the criteria for captaincy (the history is Cricket, Rowing, Football & Rugger in Britain, and then of course ice hockey in Canada.) Beliveau is quite a reasonable analogy made below. Likewise the remark that Gomez’s wisecracking makes him — otherwise an exceptional cadidate for Captaincy — an ideal Assistant.

But hands-down the classic Captain — switch him to England in 1898, have him on the Cambridge cricket first 11 & he’s Captain by acclaimation — is Markov.

168. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Haha, I am no scout, but from what I have read about him, I am expecting around 30-35 points from him. Which is pretty decent for a 21 year old center. He is a similar player to Plekanec, a playmaker that plays a two-way game. Apparently he’s very good in his own end so expect him to get a decent amount of PK time.

169. LA Loyalist says:

Forgive me Serious if you saw this I mentioned it as an aside in another post, but I took my boy to see Ducks practice this morning and Saku looked terrific: quick, healthy and in good spirits. He still has great hands he scored a beauty backhander on a broken play.

I’ll look at my photos and post anything not blurry, I’m not a photographer.

Selanne looked just fine, too. I think Ducks will be pretty serious this year barring injuries and if Hiller plays well.

“20 games to a new tagline.”

170. Bugs says:

Reckon the only thing Cammy doesn’t have that Gio has is the Stanley Cup. Might’ve factored in in the final analysis.

Reprovingly reproof-proof, here sits

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant Head Honcho to what goes down in Chinatown, Big Cheese at Flannelcorp Media, and Lead Copy-boy at Habsbros Hard Data Factory: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

171. LA Loyalist says:

Thanks. Hopefully he will be nurtured properly and we will all be patient. We paid a huge price for him :)

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

172. likehoy says:

arguable…

you’ve had guys like gainey, carbo, richard, koivu, chelios, odelein, muller that left it all on the ice..

then you had guys like lafleur, turgeon, damphousse, beliveau (as you’ve mentioned)

- I support Carey Price as the Number 1 Goalie!

173. LA Loyalist says:

Hammer is expensive and will play.

Watch him behind the play live, he does some good veteran things that you don’t necessarily see on the TV.

He hasn’t the gas he once had and we can’t overuse him, but he’s still pretty solid.

“20 games to a new tagline”

174. Fargo Habs Fan says:

I sat out The Debate this summer, and I’m really excited we have hockey again.  I bought my tickets for the game in Minnesota, 13 rows off the ice.  :)  Here’s hoping Gui! doesn’t light us up for four.  Also, it’s exciting to hear Max had a good day.  Maybe he can keep it up and give us a nice little surprise this year.

-Dustin-

175. SeriousFan09 says:

As everyone here knows, I hate the ethnocentrism that has poisoned hockey for decades. I was prepared to rant about and got about halfway through basically my highlight-reel of comments on the subject but you all know more or less what I would say so I’ll just go with I’m tired of the word Canadian being used as a reason one player is more important/better than another one.

Never seen Gionta not take his time in MTL seriously, played on a broken foot for this team. Only one with the stones to try and get in close to the net during the Flyers series on a regular basis. Scored big goals when the team needed them and shows no fear on the ice. Perhaps not the best choice to speak to the media and endear himself to the fans? There are still a few fan favourites to electrify the crowd and handle the media, the captain’s there to get his team to the Cup.

176. JSP1990 says:

Yup. Just checked Habs prospects. You told me about that one yesterday. Yet again thank you SF!!

177. sholi2000.com says:

I got my seats for that game as well.  My little fella and I are driving from Brandon,MB.  We should do lunch?

They Call Me Shane

178. SeriousFan09 says:

Koivu’s about the only reason I was watching the West Coast last year aside from the ‘Hawks, glad to see he’s doing well for himself.

179. fbkj says:

pat burns was only a montrealer when he was coach here

hes from the townships

just sayin

edit: the hell, wiki says he was born here… thought he was a magog boy… nvmd

180. The Cat says:

Well I reckon Gionta is more of a man’s man than Cammalleri.

I am just instigating a discussion. The good news, as I stated below, is that the Habs have a few good choices. Markov as you mentioned, although he needs to be re-signed, for this reason maybe Plex gets the nod as the other longest serving Hab. Gomez, Gio, Gorges and Gill are there as is my choice du jour, Cammy, so the field is wide open, although la Presse has annointed Gio I don’t think a decision has been made yet.

182. madcap_habsfan says:

you caught that nasty cold too? well here’s hoping you feel better alot faster then me  and no more silly jokes (im guessing you were joking) about the goalies, people still get riled up about the subject regardless of the unimportance of it at this point of the year

183. RGM says:

It’s Saturday and I have a cold. In the unlikely event I want your opinion on something I’ll ask for it.

184. Say Ash says:

Is this the last Saturday night without hockey?

185. ttglgohabs says:

I love the Habs!

186. Say Ash says:

Everybody here does. Some just give ‘em tough love, is all.

187. nightmare_49 says:

DGB’s inside info on the labor talks with officials and linesmen. [Down Goes Brown]

188. habstrinifan says:

Good Morning Boone! Thanks for updates! Will be following you for next half hour although I should be out working on deck.
    Just wanted to let you know we appreciate updates. Keep them coming!

189. Mike Boone says:

I’ll be here all day.

190. habstrinifan says:

Keep eye on Palushaj. I realy believe he will end up being more important to Habs than Mike Pacioretty his former roomate. Seems to be smart workmanlike payer and did great in Hamilton over very short periods. Every time I listened to Bulldogs radio he was in game at crucial times.

191. SmartDog says:

Either that or he’ll be traded to the Lightning for a Spanish goalie and breakfast for six at Dennies.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

192. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Pouliot-Eller-A. Kostitsyn

Man that would be one hell of a line, – IF they played to their potential – I know it’s premature to add Eller already..but I’m just “experimenting”.. ;)

But seriously, look at that line! – all size and loads of talent.

On the second thought, IS IT OCTOBER ALREADY??!

I miss Cammalleri’s one-timers on a knee and his home run swings, Gomez’s end-to-end rushes and his humour, Subban’s…man the list goes on and on.

193. habstrinifan says:

Kinda like that line except who’s gonna do the dirty work for it?

But sure looks like dynamite on paper.

194. SeriousFan09 says:

Fearless prediction: More people will attend Habs practices than Atlanta Thrashers games this season.

Also Boone: Dumont led all players with 93 points last season, 51G, 42A.

195. Mike Boone says:

Right you are. First mistake – but not the last – of 2010-’11

Good morning boys and girls—Here is a cool article about goalie masks.

I am also looking forward to somemore live blogging from Mike today, and watching the Als later on at 4pm taking on Edmonton’s revived squad. Might even get in a play with the grandkids today.

Life just doesn’t get any better. Great fall weather, best sports time of the year and kids in the back yard to kick the ball around with.

Hope you enjoy your day also.

NHL goalie puts famous actor on his mask

197. habstrinifan says:

Good Sunday Morning Ian and everyone! Where’s Boone? He shoulda have least two paragraphs out already.

198. SmartDog says:

Why is Gionta being referred to as Captain?  If it’s tongue-in-cheek should it not be in quotes?

(Boone: I like to start my nit-picking early on Saturdays!  Look forward to hearing about practice!)

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

199. Mike Boone says:

Done deal, SD

200. fbkj says:

Moons Over My Hammy FTW!

Jameson, looks like you and I. Both in Ontario waiting for Quebec to wake up. Don’t forget the bars there close at 3am and Mike will have to walk home. Might be a while before he gets to Brossard today.!

202. Mike Boone says:

Taking the day off

203. J.T. says:

I think Team C could make a good run, but goaltending is an issue and who knows how long it could take the players to “gel?”

204. Mike Boone says:

Interesting distribution of “energy guys”: Schultz, Conboy, Bonneau

205. Aybara says:

After reading the Toronto Star this morning one would think that Grabovski is a 40 goal scorer ready to make an indelible mark on the NHL

206. Bill J says:

Hey Grabs is a 40 goal scorer………. in the ECHL!

207. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Eller hoping to make a name for himself at camp.

208. HabFanSince72 says:

“This is a great city,” he said. “There’s a lot of life downtown. It’s a little bit like home.”

OH-OH – not sure I like that …

209. Propwash says:

Dammit, and Im at work today

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

210. LA Loyalist says:

Hey guys, if you get a chance today read Bob McKenzie’s column on TSN about Pat Burns, and let’s keep Pat in our prayers.

“20 games until new tagline.”

211. petrov14 says:

Im all giddy with excitement! Looking forward to another great (and hopefuly more consistent) season.

GO TEAM C!!

______________________________________ Gionta for Captain.

212. notbigbird says:

So Eller is big at six-foot-two, 192 pounds but Gomez is small at 5’11” and 202lbs? I’ll never understand this smurfin size issue.

A size 9 or 10 skate will out turn, out skate and out maneuver a size 13 or 14 skate every time. Unless he is a clutch and grab player and lives in the penalty box, letting the smaller fleet of foot to pump in power play goals.

Speed kills and wins the day every time.!

214. avatar_58 says:

I honestly think the bigger number – ‘6’ confuses people into thinking it’s gigantic compared to 5’11.

215. Bob_Sacamano says:

I found the second one, I guess. I don´t know a Sean but a Shaun Van Allen…

216. SmartDog says:

Did anyone listen to all the audio?   I haven’t had the chance – any especially interesting?

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

217. LA Loyalist says:

Sorry ian, i love your posts and you’re very knowledgeable but your theory kind of didn’t work against the Philly Cheese Steaks last spring.

I’m not saying we can’t have great small players – Mats Naslund and Henri Richard jump to mind, – but we need balance, not all on the same freaking line.

Some big skilled tough guys to keep it honest out there. And of course such guys are rare. And if someone is 6′ 2″ , 220 and scared of his own shadow that’s wasted, too (the jury is out on Eller and Pouliot, we shall see in a year or so).

And your point is legit about manouvering (sp) – hockey is a lot about positioning and anticipation, but when it’s the 3rd round of the playoffs and our guys are gassed – Philly made us look very bad and were able to run Halak.

I’m not saying it’s easy, Gainey got what he could get. But we are still a long way from shore.

“20 games to a new tagline.”

218. Bugs says:

Ridiculous.

Mario Lemieux never outmaneuvered someone wearing a smaller skate? Nor Bobby Orr? Ryan Getzlaf? Eric Lindros?

C’mon, Mr.Ian.

Reprovingly reproof-proof, here sits

219. ZepFan2 says:

This is for L.A. Loyalist from down below.

Okay, I thought you were commenting on Pat Burns. I was wondering why you thought FB’s post was offensive. lol

Yeah,
    I definitley disagree on the notion that only the ‘pure laine’ are true fans
    of Les Canadiens. I’m an Anglo and still live in Quebec. I can barely speak
    French, not that I wouldn’t love to. Do you know how many French babes I
    missed out on because of my lack of the language!?

A fan is a fan, is a fan. You either cheer for who’s on the team, or you don’t. It’s that simple.

Would
    it be nice if there were more hometown boys on the team? Bien sur! What
    would be even better, would be the Q pumping out better players. Giving not only the Habs more options, but other teams as well (hello Tampa).

————————————————————————

– Steven Tyler

220. fbkj says:

to be honest im done with dating french chicks for now… headache city…

anglo chicks are way more chill…

221. LA Loyalist says:

thanks for your response.

My only comment is that if we’re going to start talking about girls on this site we are pretty much doomed :)

And whenever I hear that Blue Rodeo song “Montreal” (on “Casino”, I think) I get a little deja voodoo all over again. :)

“20 games to a new tagline”

222. ZepFan2 says:

Dating?? What are you, 100? ;)

I’m not talking long term bro. Besides, most English chicks need to be coddled. I love the free spirited French chicks. At least they used to be.

Le sigh

———————————————————————–

– Steven Tyler

223. fbkj says:

its a trade off… a fine balance… anglo chicks need more coddling and in general arent nearly as much “fun” as french chicks, BUT, they also tend to argue less and arent as inclined to bizarre headgames…

I <3 generalizing

224. SmartDog says:

Totally hear ya… but oh man… are you guys  stirring up trouble!

LOL

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

225. fbkj says:

the truth NEEDS to be told…

jaded montrealers UNITE!

226. ZepFan2 says:

Don’t be fooled, mon ami. English chicks play the game as well.

French chicks are more fun, but they don’t deal with bs very well. lol

————————————————————————

– Steven Tyler

227. fbkj says:

no they dont, but they know how to lay it on pretty god damned thick

but thats just part of the package

your average franco hottie is off the charts on the narcissism scale

228. ZepFan2 says:

How can the not be narcissistic, they’re freakin’ hawt!!

————————————————————————

– Steven Tyler

229. fbkj says:

i started dating a dancer (not a peeler) who is going to tour in europe for six months in october

so OBVIOUSLY im not going to get caught up in her web considering what shes gonna have on her plate, so i remained aloof with her… so because of this… because i didnt fall completely for her, just to have her rip my heart out, she brakes up with me…

ya cant friggin win lol

230. ZepFan2 says:

Hmm, maybe you should have stuck with a peeler.

I hear ya’ though. I once was with this girl who wanted to be a ballet dancer and was really stuck up. I don’t know if she made it, but she sure was cute and “wild”. ;)

————————————————————————

– Steven Tyler

231. hab_skill says:

Shultz is sounding like he’ll definitly play in Hamilton…Maybe even with the big club?

232. SeriousFan09 says:

No pro experience yet, almost 100% certain off to the Hammer, along with Avtsin and Engqvist. They should help give the club a shot in the arm with Subban joining the big club.

233. RGM says:

OK so Carey gets the W today. What did Halak do lately? Ha!

234. Clay4bc says:

What a low-brow comment. Perhaps you should be putting all of those degrees to better use?

__________________________

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.

— George Orwell –

235. JSP1990 says:

But I hope with the big club one day!

236. observer says:

Re: “Cristobal Huet will clear waivers and be sent to Switzerland”  — Unbelievable! NHL teams can now just send a player with a contract to another country if they don’t like him anymore. Maybe next time they’ll really get mad at one and send him to North Korea or wherever?

237. JSP1990 says:

Haven’t the teams been able to do this for awhile now?

238. Chuck says:

I can think of almost six million reasons why Huet wouldn’t be too heartbroken over the situation.

You’re truly astounding. When I though that you couldn’t sink any lower there you go dropping it down a notch.

240. joeybarrie says:

I dont know about North Korea. I can tell you this though. What I don’t like is you sign a player to a huge contract. Then all you have to do is put them thru waivers and you don’t have to take responsibility for the cap hit for the contract you signed. I don’t like it. There are too many holes in order to eliminate your responsibility. Worst off because of his big contract, he will never play in the NHL again.

I think you should at least be responsible for half the cap hit if you have no more use for the player. Whats to stop NJ from doing the same once Kovalchuk is 35-36 and his cap hit outweights his productivity.

Maybe its because The Habs make fair decisions when it comes to players. We didn’t ship Theo off to Europe when we realized his contract was too big… We don’t sign players until they are 45 and it seems as if the only way to succeed in this CBA is to circumvent the rules, but only so much that Bettman doesn’t try to make an example of you…

Why is it that Yashin is still a cap hit in NY but not Huet??? Both playing abroad. I think its crap.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

241. habs_1993 says:

I’m really confused, at the end it says “Russell converts a great pass from Schultz to make it 5-2 Reds.” But, it says Team B is Reds,…and Russel and Shultz are on Team A, that says Whites?

Also, it says “Avtsin for the Whites. He looks good.” But, since he’s on Team B…He should be on the Reds?

Am i not reading right or have a missed something?

242. Mike Boone says:

Team A was Reds, Team B Whites.

243. scrowe21 says:

BOONE. How did Palushaj look today?

and AK..did he do anything?

I hope theres some video highlights from this today.

thanks for blogging

——–

My spinorama shootout goal with Cammy

244. linp says:

Palushaj worked hard on the right wing. But he was not effective. As usual, AK needs at least 10 games to get going. He played with Maxwell and then with Eller. He was lazy. Eller is very impressive with his puck moving skill. Lapierre’s line is too fast for the other team.

245. RGM says:

Correct. This is not a new development by any stretch of the imagination.

246. habs_1993 says:

All rite, that makes sense

Thanks

247. Storm Man says:

How’s Hitman Schultz doing? I have a feeling he will have alot of fun with the Dogs this year.

Who picked the teams? Team C looks a tad strong :)

I love the Habs and I love this site. Man, I am so excited I am almost giddy!!!

Habs fans are amongst the most sophisticated and the most passionate fans of any sport anywhere in the world. Who wouldn’t want to play for this team?

Go Habs go!!!!

249. Puck Bard says:

Did you join the cast of Glee?

250. Bugs says:

If you ain’t sophisticated, you ain’t nothin.

And that reminds me: does anyone know where I can buy 10-gallon vats of Grey Poupon?

Reprovingly reproof-proof, here sits

251. SeriousFan09 says:

Who wouldn’t want to play for this team?

Many French Canadians who like no pressure and low taxes in US markets. Oh my, how did that slip out?

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

Don’t piss in my cornflakes Puck Tard.

Just phuck barding with you :D

254. observer says:

You are one vulgar piece of work!

255. observer says:

You are definately the most vulgar thing posting on this blog.

incompetant, it’s definitely

257. observer says:

Your language above speaks for itself! How a gutter mouth like you is tolerated on this blog is in itself mind-boggling.

258. Bill J says:

Hey – at least he got YOU to stop spewing your normal vulgarities.

Takes one to know one, as they say.

;)

259. fbkj says:

vulgarity on the net? GET OUT!

260. ZepFan2 says:

Go puck yourself!

Go Habs Go!!

————————————————————————

– Steven Tyler

Tiny, Tiny, Tiny. 1 + 1 = 2 is mind-boggling to you.

Vulgar is the content that spews forth from your posts. I can swear up a storm and still look squeeky clean by comparison to you.

262. Harani says:

Sabres 3rd jersey…One Word: VOMITROCIOUS! Hate it!

“It must be love!”

263. gmd says:

They should have never changed from their original jerseys.  It’s been downhill ever since they went to the black, red and white.  I thought their original jerseys were awesome.

264. SeriousFan09 says:

They had that wonderful retro jersey last season based on the original Buffalo Sabres uniform that made their standard fuzzy caterpillar ones look like **** and they switched to this? Well I guess they had to so people wouldn’t start talking about how the 3rd jersey looks way better than their primary one.

265. JSP1990 says:

That’s by far one of the worst. Almost as bad as Florida’s 3rd.

266. Chuck says:

It won’t be long before the Sabres’ design department is busted for using child labour.

267. Storm Man says:

Selena Gomez gives it the thumbs up.

268. JSP1990 says:

Exactly Chuck. Doesn’t matter to him were he’s playing. That contract is still his. Is it me ordo the Hawk have a bad habit og giving out bad goaltender contracts? Khabiublin and Huet ya know?

269. otter649 says:

Huet is laughing all the way to the bank – Play way less games than a regular NHL schedule & not have to put up with media/fans etc and have more time with family & still get paid his full NHL salary. I wonder if he has to pay taxes etc since he is or soon to be working in Europe…..

270. JSP1990 says:

I thought they were using the retro jersey as their primary now?

271. jbroderi says:

the cheap looking one-tones letters really make it look like my old pee wee jerseys sponsored by the pharmacy!!  just cheap and boring!!  (kinda sounds like the organization!  hahaha)

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

272. otter649 says:

Buffalo’s (retro) third jersey – The colors of course are OK but should have put The Sabres Crest from the front on one shoulder & their 40th anniversary crest ? on the other shoulder imho…….

Brutal.  So much for having a marketing department.  Buffalo would have been better off displaying a fire truck or a snow plow on the front of their jersey.

274. joeybarrie says:

Repost from below, just cause it bugs me so much. What I
    don’t like is you sign a player to a huge contract. Then all you have to
    do is put them thru waivers and you don’t have to take responsibility
    for the cap hit for the contract you signed. I don’t like it. There are
    too many holes in order to eliminate your responsibility.

I
    think you should at least be responsible for half the cap hit if you
    have no more use for the player. Whats to stop NJ from doing the same
    once Kovalchuk is 35-36 and his cap hit outweights his productivity, off to the KHL, and he can make EVEN more money on the side…

Maybe
    its because The Habs make fair decisions when it comes to players. We
    didn’t ship Theo off to Europe when we realized his contract was too
    big… We don’t sign players until they are 45 and it seems as if the
    only way to succeed in this CBA is to circumvent the rules, but only so
    much that Bettman doesn’t try to make an example of you…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

275. mbplekfan says:

Even though you clear that player from your cap hit you still have to pay out his contract.  Not many owners are going to be happy shelling out serious dough for someone to play elsewhere.

The number of obscene and stupid contracts has seriously thrown a monkey wrench into contract negotiations and Im reasonably sure that the days of the Souray or Ryder deals are over.

In my opinion 3 year deals should become the norm as it gives everbody flexibility and nobody is stuck with an albatross for too long.

I also would expect the next work stoppage to be a long one as the players try to figure out what went wrong. A small number of players are making out like bandits while the majority are watching their incomes drop.

m – In theory, the new CBA was a good idea.  However, the GM’s (and indirectly, the owners) made three significant blunders.  They lost their heads and gave mega contracts to non stars such as Gomez, Campbell and Redden.  Secondly, they started doing an end-run around the original intent of the CBA by front loading long term contracts (Kovy, Hossa, Luongo).  Lastly, and most importantly, they gave out inflated contracts to almost any young RFA who showed any sign of becoming a top end player.  In essence, they treated them like UFAs due to the (self-imposed) fear of losing them to offer sheets.  Almost every team has one and I believe that Bergeron in Boston might have been the first.  Instead of suppressing salaries until players turned 27, they basically moved it up (down?) to a guy’s early 20’s.

This may have some serious implications when it comes time to re-sign Markov.  Hickey and Boone feel he may take a home town discount but I doubt we will be able to front load his contract.  Two years later, we may well hit the RFA wall with Subban and Price.

277. joeybarrie says:

I think it’s fine to sign the Albatross… Just as long as your willing to live with it. If you buyout, waive or anything else to get them off your team, you should be responsible for half the hit.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

278. mbplekfan says:

The mega contracts to non-stars certainly was a major blunder. I belive the GMs thought the salary cap would continue to grow and they could inflate away their troubles. Now they are stuck with underperforming contracts.

Because we focus on the habs here we notice the contracts given out to Souray, Ryder, Streit, Huet, Komisarek and Kovalev.  All were way overpaid by wildly optimistic GMs.  Streit is the only one currently coming close to earning his money.

The huge raises going out to RFA’s is going to make it very hard to build a winning team. With major dollars coming off our books next year we still need to shell out major dollars to lock up Markov and either Kostitsyn or a replacement for him.

Subban and Price will create a nightmare scenario and Subban’s will almost certainly limit what can be offered to Markov.  In my mind you want a guy on the upside of his career anchoring your defence rather than an over 30 guy who could fade at any moment.

The players have noticed how many good players took significant contract hits to compensate for the largesse. I cant see them letting that continue past the expiration of this CBA.

279. SeriousFan09 says:

Price’s next RFA will hurt, but Subban’s status gets balanced out by Spacek’s contract coming off the books.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

The Habs are penalized for being prosperous whereas the sun-belt teams are subsidized. It’s why having depth on the farm is crucial to succeeding both long-term and short. I believe that NHL careers will be shortened as a result and that we’ll also see more ex-NHLers going overseas as the CBA gets older. I don’t think any renegotiations will change these two assumptions either.

281. Bill J says:

Price’s next RFA will come after both Hammer & Spatches are gone.  That’s about 10 Million $

Just in time for a Tinordi (perhaps) to move up for cheap.

282. LA Loyalist says:

You guys make interesting points  – when the salary is big and the player not performing waivers are kind of a joke because no one is going to take that financial risk.

A good trade (technically, I have my own opinion but that’s not the point) was Latendresse for Pouliot – 2 head cases that probably needed a change of scenery – you take my headache I’ll take yours.

I like the 3 year thing – or some sort of structure the higher the $value the shorter the term so the high $ guys have to prove it every year.

Maybe a tiered system (not that is will fly) of 1, 3, 5, max 7 year deals. Let me think on this. Good posts.

Another strike or lockout is awful to contemplate. We had a rough enough summer.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

283. Chuck says:

Even better: a snowplow clearing the way ahead of a fire truck on the way to a fire in Tonawanda.

284. TommyB says:

Brutal is right.  Do they have a marketing dept.?  A chicken wing would have even been better.

Great line, Chuck. Only the southern Ontario locals will get that one!

286. observer says:

Sinking lower? – I right this second am sinking as low as I could on this blog – I mean responding to something as ignorant as you!

LOL. Don’t you mean ignorent?

288. redgorf says:

redgorf

L A LOYALIST, there is a CH toaster i purchased one, the item isn’t expensive look out for shipping charges.

289. redgorf says:

redgorf

I’vebeen a CH fan for a long time and don’t recall any captain getting in other players face except maybe the ROCKET.