Audio: Off-ice day precedes road trip

Canadiens’ Mike Cammalleri finishes off his scrap Thursday with Bruins’ David Krejci.
Richard Wolowicz, Getty Images

AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Michael Cammalleri | Josh Gorges | Scott Gomez | Max Pacioretty | Maxim Lapierre

The Canadiens took their practice to the Bell Sports Complex gym in Brossard today, the team preparing to leave tomorrow for Denver and Sunday’s first of seven consecutive road games.

Head coach Jacques Martin expects to start goalie Carey Price in the three games next week that precede Christmas, and should use Alex Auld in at least one of the four between Christmas and New Year’s Eve. The Habs play back-to-back games in Florida on Dec. 30 and 31.

None of the Canadiens spoken with today cared much for responding to charges that they’re dirty players who do their biggest damage illegally and behind officials’ backs. In the Boston Herald today, Stephen Harris begins his notebook as follows:

MONTREAL — The Canadiens are a
despicable and dirty little hockey team that loves to dish out nasty
cheap shots, often from behind, often after the whistle — and shows not
the slightest willingness to back up the stick-work by dropping the
gloves.

1. JohnBellyful says:

No offence but, geez, could you change your avatar. Kinda scarey. I might have to rethink being a Habs fan if I’m going to keep seeing that on HIO. Maybe just show the top of her head. Kinda like a mini-Mimi … if it’s a photo of yourself, I take it all back. You look good for your species.

2. andrewberkshire says:

And you were wrong again, as always, as the Habs have unquestionably been one of the best teams in the NHL despite missing their #1 defenseman. Whine a bit more about how often you get “taken out of context”, when really you’re just always wrong.

3. andrewberkshire says:

“Get a social life”

Aka: I got caught spouting off my usual BS, everyone on the site knows it, so I’m going to go on the INTERNET and tell other people to get lives. Grow the *** up Lorne, you’re acting like a pathetic troll. Be an adult.

4. TripleX says:

-10

For being a folower incapable of some independent thoughts.

Joey loves to take peoples comments out of context which invalidates the whole arguement.  My comments about the playoffs was in response to some on HIO saying that the Habs were the THIRD BEST team in the NHL now because of their playoff heroics.  I questioned this conclusion that it would automatically translate to the regular season.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

5. TripleX says:

Last year it was a Western Conference swing I assumed it would happen again this season.  I was incorrect on that fact so sue me.  The only big road trip this season takes place against two Western and five Eastern teams.

Since there is NO big western road trip this season your counter argument is just juvenile hot air and semantics.

Where is the negativity?  It is no fantasy that the early part of the schedule has been fairly easy for the Habs.  Last season the team was barely at .500 all season UNTIL the seven game Western swing.  Do you deny the possibility they bonded as a team and gained confidence by going 6-1 on the road?  The fact is that those seven games quite possibly was the genesis of the team we saw in the playoffs.

I never said anything about the Bruins or Philly dude.  I always said until they went on the big Western road swing.

You need to get a social life since you seem to have a better grasp on what I posted months ago than I do.  I have no idea what you posted yesterday let alone months.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

6. J Haul says:

Just a site-related suggestion here:

I think i/o should change the default way links are posted and opened here. As it stands right now, if someone just simply posts a link in their article, it navigates to that page and you have to hit back in your browser to get back to i/o. To change this and have the links open in new tabs it takes extra steps that not many people seem to be aware of, or motivated to do.

I’m aware of “open link in new tab”, but it’s not something that I remember every time. Besides, doing that on every link renders the extra steps to make it openable in a new tab even more useless.

It really is a nice thing when a link opens in a separarte tab. If I’m the only person that feels that way, feel free to tell me to take a flying leap.

7. DearyLeary says:

Lucic broke Komisarek like you break a puppy’s spirit.  He used to be full of youthful exuberance, but now he just mopes around and turns the puck over.

8. J Haul says:

I just linked to another of Harris’ articles and found this gem from Lucic after their game with the Sabres:

“C’mon. If you’re going to call something earlier and come over and
    explain it to me, you’ve got to keep it consistent. I just don’t get it.
    And then just for calling a ref a joke and saying he’s embarrassing,
    you can’t put us down a man. Give me a 10(-minute misconduct). You can’t
    put us down at that point in a game.”

Shouldn’t this baffoon know that you can’t embarass a referee like that? I mean, he’s been playing hockey his whole life. Of course you’re going to be tossed in the box! Gotta love the sense of entitlement though… “can’t put us down at that point… whaaaaa”

I shouldn’t even link to it, since this asshat doesn’t deserve any more hits, but it’s the reputable thing to do (something Harris apparently knows nothing about):

9. DearyLeary says:

He has no respect for the Habs, and none for PK… what gives you the impression he’ll break those trends to talk about fights after a clean hit?

10. SeriousFan09 says:

I say good people of Boston, it was quite embarassing when Mike Cammalleri deked Thomas out of his jock, PK Subban drilled Marchand through the space-time continuum last night, Mike Cammalleri got a takedown on Krejci in the strangest fight of Montreal or Boston’s season and even Colin Campbell’s fake artist kid couldn’t draw enough bad penalties for us to tie the game.

Google Translate now works on Bostonian.

11. SaskieHabFan says:

I actually think Cherry might make a comment on PK’s hit as clean and “respectful” Saturday night because of the interview PK did in the 2nd intermission last night. PK clearly stated he was not looking to hit the head. I actually think Cherry might give him a little credit, but feel free to pour it on if I am completley wrong….

12. forskis says:

Someone mentioned way below how cherry will treat this on Saturday so here is what I think:

Cherry hates the fight after a clean hit…he will probably highlight Campbell’s attempt as bad (but think that Subban should have answered because there are few instances where you should turn a guy down) and highlight as good, the Thornton hit and how everyone, including Pouliot, continued playing because it was a good hard hit.  He will also highlight the Krejci/Cammalleri fight but ask why both of those players are fighting even though he loves it.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

13. avatar_58 says:

Scuse me can someone translate that article for me? I have trouble reading crybaby

14. Max_a_million says:

Foolishly is an adverb.  As such it describes an action, and not a person.  For that you would need an adjective.

So, it can not be an insult of you as a person.  It does question your actions in this case as acting in a incredibly biased manner.

15. J Haul says:

Perfectly put.

16. DrewCareyPriceIsRight says:

I dunno guys…what does the future of NHL hold if even clean hits require retribution.

PK really could have taken the guys head off if he wanted to so kudos to him for playing it clean and just putting up a road block on the puck carrier and thus separating him from the puck.  That’s what a hit is supposed to do.

I didn’t see Benny or any of his teamates head hunting after he got levelled…and the habs are the dirty ones?

Back to the original point though, have players and analysts become so hyper-sensitive of hits that even clean ones are admonished?  PK is 2 for 2 on beautiful clean hits on the puck carrier (I though this is what good strong defensemen do)…I’d understand the hoopla if an elbow or shoulder was making contact with a head…but really, it has gone overboard.

Tony on team 990 was fielding all kinds of calls on this when it should not even be mentioned outside the fact that they were good clean hits and congratulating PK for them.

17. Chorske says:

I think we have a bigger persecutory complex than most teams out there. We think CBC favors Toronto. We think the refs favor guys like Pronger who get away with murder against us. We begrudge and bemoan every non-call, every whistle. I’ve seen games in NJ, Toronto, Chicago, Boston, NY, and Vancouver. I have never seen a crowd that complains as much as the one in MTL.

Certainly, there is a strong tendency to complain about the refs and the league on HIO. But the average fan at the game is a LOT worse.

My point is that a pro sports reporter shouldn’t sound like an irate teenage homer.

18. JD_ says:

It’s the stuff of bein’ hopped up on goofballs and, frankly, I’m takin’ all of it as a big badge of honour. Cherry’s angry rants, Milbury’s frustrated meltdown, it’s all good, Ch.

The Habs’ franchise, although dry for a decade-and-a-half, is a glory-be-freakin-halle-effin’-mofo-lujah phenomenon and nobody who has anythin’ to do or say about it will ever let you forget that fact. The team’s fans generally know their shiznat, will not accept complacency, know how to win big, and are a completely insufferable lot if you aren’t one of them.

See, if I wasn’t such a huge Habs fan, I’d probably loathe Habs fans to my very core.

So, the Habs are winnin’ and winnin’ convincingly. And they’re doin’ it with spit and vinegar. And it’s drivin’ everyone who isn’t a Habs fan, or who begrudges the Habs their gloried past, effin’ batshit crazy.

So, bring it on. Bring on the barbs ‘n’ insults ‘n’ putdowns ‘n’ accusations, you know, just get all curled up into that wee l’il “I hate it! I hate it!” fetal position. Go to effin’ town, baby, cuz it’s music to my ears!

Know what? It won’t matter one iota. The Habs are gonna keep deliverin’ the goods. They’re gonna keep standin’ up for one another. They’re gonna keep winnin’.

The angry, frustrated, chest thumpin’ will just be that: A tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothin’.

Subbang, baby!

19. ESundy36 says:

Harris is a hack and the Herald is a hack paper so I am not surprised by his comments.

20. Chorske says:

Was gonna go over to the Herald web site and leave a comment, but about a thousand Habs fans beat me to it. And they were none too gentle about it, too.

21. mike g says:

Anyone listen to Ron Fournier last night?

After the game, he was praising Patches, and repeatedly singing an Italian song and inserting “Paccioretty” into it. Found it so funny, to the point where callers would simply say his name, and he’d go on singing…

Anyways, just watched Patches’ post-game interview, and something dawned on me: I speak and sound the exact same way as Patches when I get drunk, lol..

I’m not making fun of him or anything, don’t take it that way. It’s just the way he speaks, can’t knock him for that.

But I had to draw a similarity….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

22. Mikey_39 says:

If the CBC had any brains, they would hire a couple of Pro-Montreal analysts to balance out the the dumb-ass comments that get thrown around so easily.  It’s the only way they might keep all the Montreal fans, and the ratings

23. Mikey_39 says:

Any home crowd will see penalties everywhere, it’s not just in Montreal.  And ya we think that the refs are out to get us, but the facts speak for themselves.  We are constantly more penalized than our opponents, but that’s not because the opponents are more disciplined.  Countless times the refs will close their eyes on our opponent’s penalties, only to turn around and call stupid ones on us.

Despite this fact, our team and coach take full responsibility for these mistakes, just like a classy organization should.  However, how many times have you seen the other team complain about refs when they lose? Many!

24. SeriousFan09 says:

Rather not read about the player the Loafs may be giving beantown.

25. ScottGomez says:

I agree.

Also, Gionta and Pacioretty are playing really well.

Sean Couturier

Couturier is one of the top 2011 Draft prospects, who has been discussed as a potential top three pick. Sean doesn’t have any true plus-plus tool, but he’s a very well-rounded prospect who is much more physically gifted than the average prospect in this tournament. He may be draft eligible, but he’s not that young compared to the pool of players, as his 18th birthday just passed on December 7th. With the lack of firepower on this team, Couturier should be given prime offensive minutes.

27. nick says:

Meh… Have you been around here after the last few losses? Not all that much different.

He sucks, MTL shouldn’t have given so an so a contract, officiating was garbage, trade him, he’s not big enough, he’s not french enough, bring back MAB, an oh the sky is falling.

28. rocketsglare says:

LOL!!!

29. light_n_tasty says:

In defence of Maclean, he did start the second intermission by saying something sarcastic like, “And now here’s Mike Milbury and P.J. Stock, the unbiased Bruins alumni who were very critical of Montreal after the first period”.

30. Chorske says:

Whoa, I just read through a bunch of Harris’ articles. BRUTAL.

OK, Montreal fans are whiny, and we see penalties everywhere and we’re all conviced that the refs are out to get us. But our sports reporters are pretty level-headed… for example in yesterdays live blog, Boone questioned why the fans were booing a PK penalty call- Boone basically said the call was well-deserved and so on. When the Habs lose, they point to lack of discipline, not sticking to the system, mistakes, etc.

But this Harris guy is a total whiner and homer. Montreal is dirty and Krejci heroically fought back! The refs are dirty and Lucic heroically asstalked them late in a close game, so why was he assessed a penalty?! And so on. Harris isn’t even up to the standard set by some of our more clueless posters. His stuff certainly doesn’t read like pro sports writing.

31. Kooch7800 says:

I hate Lucic pretty bad but He did kick Komi’s ass and Komis is taller and is over 20 pounds havier. I used to Love Komi but Lucic has destroyed him. He hasn’t been the same since that fight.  He sucked when he came back for the habs and still sucks with the leafs

For the most part i do agree he picks his spots and smaller players.

32. andrewberkshire says:

No problem. It was a good game too.

33. DearyLeary says:

Exactly what I want out of the next great Francohope.

34. joeybarrie says:

Don’t you remember he said the Playoffs were not a good indicator of how good a team is. The Regular season President’s trophy is a good indicator of how good a team is…. But of course when we were number 1 in the East it was ‘regular season doesn’t matter in the playoffs’…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

35. Bugs says:

Facts are facts. What can you do?

Unquestionably unquestionable, I think I’m

L. Bugs Potter, esq., Herzog of ze Abominable Habsuchtig Brigade, Markgraf of ze Fearsome Flanell Flausen Flank, und devoted minion of ze Habsbros Order: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

36. RJB says:

+10 to Berkshire,

“I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”
    – Bilbo Baggins

37. aemarchand11 says:

aahh, I was working and missed that, thanks.

2010-2011

38. DearyLeary says:

In Don’s eyes, if you’re Canadian, and don’t play for the Canadiens, you’re a good Canadian boy.

39. joeybarrie says:

5 points in 5 games, and the Habs are 1-5 without him…

The Habs would be playing golf April 1st without him.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

40. SeriousFan09 says:

Please, aside from his bout with Orr last year when was the last time he actually fought someone who could fight back? Hits from behind and goes for late hits whenever he can.

41. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Lucic is a COWARD, who picks his spots and fights guy’s smaller than him.  Get a clue.

42. aemarchand11 says:

Brads Canadian, but by no means good lol

2010-2011

43. joeybarrie says:

Seems as there is some jealousy in Beantown… Just because we are 7w-1l against them in the last 2 seasons and 16w-6l in the last 4, PLUS the fact we are leading the series 3-1 from the last and 2 of those were from when they were in first…  SAD SAD SAD…

First they get our old dirty coaches, then our old dirty Ryder, coupled with the lack of Stanley Cups in the last 41 years… Pathetic little article. Sour Grapes???? Is that why we call Don Cherry Grapes??? Make some Ice Wine, cause we are taking ALL 6 games this season from them.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

44. andrewberkshire says:

He’s talking about the CBC broadcast of the Marlies vs Bulldogs AHL game last Sunday. Brad May said the Marlies should have jumped Fortier for poking the goalies’ pad in a scrum.

45. Habs_Fan_1 says:

He’s referring to the CBC’s AHL coverage of the Hamilton game last weekend. =)

46. SeriousFan09 says:

Hockey writer Corey Pronman broke down the entire Team Canada roster for the 2011 WJC, here’s his take on Louis Leblanc

“Leblanc is another solid two-way forward amongst this group who has NHL
    top six potential and should be used in a scoring role in the
    tournament. Leblanc displays solid skating, puck skills and shot tools
    with a willingness to grind and play defense. Leblanc doesn’t have any
    sort of glaring flaw in his game, but isn’t really a game breaker
    either.”

47. oshawahabsfan says:

I love how halfway through their bitch session PJ goes “oh I know this sounds like we’re being bias towards the Bruins” and then Milbury chimes in with a little defensive “I’m not”. What a pathetic excuse for a hockey panel that was. Maclean just sits there with his thumbs up his ass the whole time, instead of maybe questioning their ridiculous statements. If PK fights someone for no reason, that’s going to get him respect, it’s going to make him look like an idiot for giving the other team a big advantage, as whoever PK fights will not be a player as good or important to his team as he is. Its a lose lose situation anyway you look at it

48. aemarchand11 says:

Brad is Family, but damn awesome hit and I loved watching him curl over on the bench lol.

2010-2011

49. aemarchand11 says:

You mean PJ Stock right?? Brad may is with Sportsnet.

2010-2011

50. fun police says:

A couple years ago, BGL asked lucic to fight after he embarrassed komi with the “heavy weight belt champ” motion.  Lucic wisely said no thanks.  don’t quite remember the milbury calling him a cockroach.  i’m pretty sure that pouliot would have dropped the gloves with recchi when he was using his stick to carve at benny.  recchi lost interest as soon as pouliot turned to face him.

Between brad may’s idiotic “i would have engaged him in a fight before he scored his third goal” to milbury’s cockroach comments, is there more of a joke of a broadcasting network than cbc.  the sad thing is our tax dollars are paying for milbury to bash a canadian team.

51. andrewberkshire says:

Actually at first you said it was silly to assess them before they played a western conference team, then you said it was silly to assess them until the played teams like the Flyers and Bruins, then you said it was silly to assess them before the west coast swing (which isn’t right now), so no, you haven’t said this all season. Just like everything else, you continually move the goalposts in order to stay skeptical and negative. It’s old and tired.

How they do in the next 7 games has absolutely zero baring on how they’ll perform in the post season, you know what does? The playoffs. That’s it, that’s all.

52. Nahlsy says:

We’ll leave it at we disagree and I won’t respond to your insults.

53. TripleX says:

LOL  Is it April 1st again?

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

54. Nahlsy says:

Read the above comment and try putting things back into context. If Subban jumped a Bruin, won a fight, challenged their bench to send someone out that was worthy of him, danced around like an idiot with his new heavy weight belt and such. THEN ran away when the other team had someone go out to accept his challenge and let Gionta stand up to the guy instead, he’d be a chicken for having his bluff called.

If you want to act tough and flex the guns over what a great fighter you are to rub the other team’s nose in how weak they are compared to you, you’re a flat out punk when their guy comes out and you run away crying.

55. SPATS says:

Good points, not to mention the pressure Cunneyworth is under replacing St. Guy de Psychology

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH!

56. Max_a_million says:

You are being foolishly biased.  It deters from any valid arguments you would try to make.

Lucic is a beast, and he did a number on Komisarek and the Canadiens.

How about some reasonableness?

57. Nahlsy says:

It’s Boston, home ot the Roid Sux and the Bruins. They like to play second banana to the tops in their sport and then spend their entire lives whining about them when they get put away and watch the other team rack up a combined, two team total of 51 titles.

58. Nahlsy says:

Dancing around, waving your hands in the air, challenging the other team’s bench and acting like an all around fool after a fight by someone that claims to be a fighter. Then backing down to the opposing team’s fighter when he comes out to have a word with you and letting Marc Savard stand up to Laraque in your place is a lot different than a non-fighter not throwing down with their goon because he just delivered a clean hit and their goon’s looking for any non-fighter that he can sucker into a fight.

59. Max_a_million says:

Was Subban a chicken for not fighting Campbell, Thornton, and Carcillo???

Top line guys have no business fighting 4th line goons if you are interested in winning.

What is fair for the goose is fair for the gander.

As much as BGL sucks, he was the best hockey fighter in the world.  So there are no more than 2 dozen guys with the cajones to mix it up with him in the world.

I would like to see you go a round with him …  where is the chicken at?

60. Max_a_million says:

You say that, and yet applaud our guys last night for doing the same thing.

Not letting your top line guy fight with a fourth liner is just smart hockey.  Subban is not a chicken for not fighting Thornton, Campbell, or Carcillo … neither was Lucic for BGL.

Swapping your best for goons in the sin bin for 5 minutes is a losing proposition.  Heck BGL never even played 5 minutes a game.

61. Will Longlade says:

Funny how PK’s clean hit on Marchand created such a storm. Meanwhile, you have Recci and Lucic charging guys all night with clear intent to injure and nothing said. Somethings definitely wrong with that picture.

62. Nahlsy says:

Go watch him tuck his tail between his legs and run away from Laraque all night while claiming his coach won’t let him fight again and tell me there’s no chicken in that putz.

Edit: So that it isn’t misread, I was calling Luchicken “that putz” and not calling you a putz. It could have been read either way upon re-reading it so I figured I’d clear it up before it was misread

63. jrshabs1 says:

Ha Ha Boston!! Beantown has played second fiddle to the Canadiens since the berth of the NHL. The pot loves to call the kettle black. Does anyone remember Luchicken running all over the ice lastyear been a dick and BGL coming out to have a conversation and luchicken wouldn’t even look at him? If it wasn’t for the damm “code” Luchicken should have got his beating and that would have been that. Oh well!! Habs are dominating the brew-crew in the last 2 seasons as it should be and the Boston Media  is crying about it..perfect!

Go Habs Go!!

64. Malreg says:

For everybody who complains how Subban is ruined because he makes some mistakes or has a bad game after just over 30 games of NHL regular season experience:  Drew Doughty was on the ice for ALL 6 goals that St-Louis scored last night.  He only finished -2 thanks to special teams.

The point is every young defenseman will have growing pains.  Doughty, who was a top 3 defenseman in the league last year, and one of Team Canada’s best at the olympics, has been struggling quite a bit this year.  These things are normal.  Be patient, and enjoy the ride.

65. Max_a_million says:

You might not like the Bruins, but their is no Chicken in that guy.  He is a beast.

We have some size in our lineup now though, and it’s nice to not be pushed around.

Two straight nights where we were not beaten physically by huge teams.

Patches, PK, and Eller make a huge difference in this.

66. Bugs says:

In-depth report: Scott Gomez living up to contract.

Unquestionably unquestionable, I think I’m

67. Max_a_million says:

I think it’s none too early to assess Randy Cunneyworth as doing a fantastic job.

Webber has been great, and Patches is a force of size, speed, passing, shooting …

Really impressive work in Hamilton.

68. TripleX says:

I have said all season that it was silly to assess how good this team is until the first big road trip.  Well here we go, seven grueling games on the road with some tough and not so tough competition.

Last season the team showed its compete level by going 6-1.  How they do this year in these seven games, will go a long way in evaluating how they do in the post season.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

69. krob1000 says:

I can’t knock Lucy , The Missing Link after all his discovery has done for humanity.

70. Nahlsy says:

Luchicken is Ak46’s bit… that’s twice now that AK has put him on his backside!

71. DearyLeary says:

He’ll call it a cheap shot, then he’ll call PK out for not fighting after a completely clean and legal hit.  He won’t lambaste that good Canadian boy Marchand for skating with his head down into a pitbull like PK.

72. habs63 says:

Another back to back. Come on!

How many more do we have?

73. habs-hampton says:

So on Sat. night, will Don show it as the way a good ‘ol Candian boy hits, or will it be a cheap shot? Either way, Don will have it in his next Rock’em Sock’em. Anything for a buck!

74. habs-hampton says:

And they were whining Wednesday night when the Sabres beat them. Poor little Lucy can’t get a break.

75. rocketsglare says:

Wow, the Habs must have done a number on the Bruins psyche for them to be crying like this.

76. Bill says:

For some reason that reminds me of Sinead O’Connor’s “Nothing Compares 2 U” video … the whole video was a close up of her face, and her earlobes … it was hard to watch sometimes.

Full Breezer 4 Life

77. Hagar says:

Having children before the age of 47 is a grave error. After 47, it’s still a pretty serious situation.

78. Da Hema says:

When Landsberg first started on TSN his eyebrows used to bounce up and down like Eugene Levy’s parody of Ricardo Montalban.

Landsberg appears to be a good guy, but obviously he is vain.

79. TorontoHabsFan says:

So Pacioretty comes up and plays like the 1st rounder he is. Weber comes up and when in the lineup is looking like a viable NHL defenceman with lots of offensive upside.

That Randy Cunneyworth sure is useless. Losing Boucher set us back decades in player development!

(wasn’t that how the story went this past summer? It would appear that the doom and gloomers have another thing they need to admit they were wrong about)

80. Da Hema says:

Come now. Surely you are exaggerating. I recall some posters here merely claiming Boucher’s departure was one of the signs of the Apocalypse.

81. Da Hema says:

She and Ashley MacIsaac provide excellent examples of why it is not advisable for musicians either to rip up pictures of religious leaders on stage or reveal a fondess for sex with teenage boys to reporters.

82. Hagar says:

Neato. I was actually concerned that disgruntled fans might really give sick kids the finger if their team doesn’t score. Thanx for clearing that up. Now I know, lol.

83. Habhopeful says:

Interesting…Can anyone find Darren Pang in here?

“I went to see a fight the other night…And A hockey game broke out!” ~Rodney Dangerfield~

84. RJB says:

The thing is, Pang isn’t a full time employee of TSN. He works for the St. Louis Blues, and only appears occasionally on the panel. I think that is the reason behind his absence on the panel.

– Bilbo Baggins

85. dre1744 says:

That and trading Halak instead of Price!!!!!!

86. kevin m says:

Michael Peca & Matthew Barnaby are not on the list either

87. Da Hema says:

I can’t resist the obvious.

No, I too cannot find Darren Pang in a list of talent.

Groan….

88. Say Ash says:

I’m sure he’ll be black.

89. Castor says:

On the bad side The Avalanche just scored 6 goals against Ottawa!

On the plus side they let in 5 goals against Ottawa!

90. Da Hema says:

:-)

That is the white reply.

91. Bugs says:

For my part, I enjoy his colour commentary.

Unquestionably unquestionable, I think I’m

92. SeriousFan09 says:

Their scoring is high but it’s also mixed in with a lot of GA, 13 in their last 3 games. MTL’s defence will challenge them a lot more than OTT’s would and I’ll take Price in a goaltending duel any day of the week.

They’re young and fast so it will be test for our D, but there’s plenty of speed on our forward lines as well. I think we’re going to have a skating rally on Sunday night.

93. oshawahabsfan says:

I took part in the Oshawa Generals toss a few years ago. Adds an extra element of fun to the game, and it’s for a great cause

94. Da Hema says:

Sometimes, though, I think he sees the world a little too much in terms of black and white.

95. usversusthem says:

bugs wins the thread! game over!

96. deggy24 says:

First time in a long, long time I’ve thought we had a chance to win the prize. Maybe a ‘little’ short but we’ve got three fair sized wingers now how aren’t bad in the battles (pouiliot, aka, pacs). They were all brutal last year. We’ve got skaters galore and hall of fame defensemen (in their respective countries Hammer and Spacecomedian are HOF). We’ve got some real great players in Pleks, Gorges, PK. We are regularly outshooting good teams, a great sign.

Good team, fun season for us fans.

Habs Win!

97. SeriousFan09 says:

Bugs wins the day again, I think he leads Habs I/O in career thread-winning posts.

98. JasonM says:

You know what is awesome, not that I cared a lot for the trade nor do I want to bring it up but  Ryan O’Byrne is playing some quality hockey there and I’m happy for him.

18GP – 0 G – 4A –  2nd place in team with a +13, 2nd in team with hits at 54 (3 a game), 2nd in team with blocked shots at 47 though he’d prolly lead these two at this rate in his next 15 games or so.

Trade did him some good. Nicest guy ever.

Gomez. Gionta. Pacioretty. Move aside Flying Frenchmen, it’s the Flying Latin-Americans.

100. GhostRider says:

Pretty sure Gionta’s Italian.  In fact, I think Pacioretty may be too, except like most American’s, his last name was likely altered throughout the years.

Still, I like your spirit!

Los Habitantes!!!

102. light_n_tasty says:

………………….seriously?

103. shootdapuck says:

Odd enough you can find Pang on the Peacock Network – NBC!

As usual what happens outside the US never really happened at all!

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3″

104. shootdapuck says:

If you read Harris’s story the “dirty little team” remark was a quote attributed to Krejci himself!

Bulletin board material?????

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3″

105. rocketsglare says:

I hope Ryan pots one in for us.

106. Habitant in Surrey says:

…maybe (?) …You would be a more enthusiastic fan of the Mexico City Cinco de Mayos …or the Tiajuana Titicacas HH ?

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

107. Ayan_SB says:

Panger’s the colour commentator right?

108. rocketsglare says:

Hey Chris, the French and their Canadian descendants have a Latin connection. France was once colonized by Rome

so there is in their culture and language a certain Latin flavor. So, more power to the Latin line of Gionta, Gomez,

and Pacioretty! Hell, their all Habs anyway.

109. thebigguy says:

I didn’t realize those were the same thing.

110. Da Hema says:

They are not. That is why I used “either-or.” Sorry, though. The MacIsaac example probably does seem out of place. O’Connor got me thinking about artists who undermined their own careers.

111. Danno says:

The team certainly has a Mexican/Latin American connection with Scott Gomez…

Scott Gomez was born and raised in a modest one family home in
    Anchorage, Alaska. His father, Carlos Gomez, a native of Mexico, moved
    there from San Diego in 1972 so he could take a construction job. It
    was in Alaska where Carlos met and married Dalia, a native of Colombia.

-Source: Latino Legends of Sports

And after what Mike Milbury said on HNIC, I think the Bell Centre should adopt La Cuccaracha (The Cockroach song) as their goal song.

Think about it. It’s a crowd pleaser — a lively little tune with lots
    of jump. It fits in nicely with the Olé, olé olé olé chant that also
    has a Spanish origin.

Plus the cockroach is a very resilient and adaptable creature. It is
    small yes, but very tough. And almost impossible to get rid of — even if
    you hate them as much as Milbury and Don Cherry hate the Habs.

It is popularly suggested that cockroaches will “inherit the earth” if humanity destroys itself in a nuclear war.
    Cockroaches do indeed have a much higher radiation resistance than
    vertebrates, with the lethal dose perhaps 6 to 15 times that for humans.
    Wikipedia

I love the symbolism of the tough, indestructible little cockroach.

I was surprised to discover what the meaning of the words to La Cuccaracha were.

Here’s a couple of renditions of this wonderful and popular folk song…

Viva La CuccaraCHa!

Vive Les Cocquerelles!

Long Live CockroaCH Power!

Read more at Dennis Kane’s Excellent Montreal Canadiens Blog.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

112. REB says:

Takes lots of vitaminC, I means LOTS – it helps the body’s immune system fight the virus.  Don’t worry about the orange emission your body will make, it’s not harmful, and looks kind of funny!

113. DearyLeary says:

Gigomax!!!

………………….seriously!

115. Bill says:

That Herald article is the best laugh I’ve had in a week. It reminded me of watching Habs-Bruins games on WSBK in the 90’s when Derek Sanderson would drunkenly editorialize about how much better, cleaner, and more deserving the Bruins were. But at least Sanderson had his bottle for an excuse: what’s Harris’s?

I’ve been hearing criticism about PK’s hit all over the net and on TV … since when is it wrong to deliver an open-ice hit? If Lucik did it, it’d be a highlight of the week. There really does seem to be a double-standard when it comes to PK. Maybe he didn’t deliver the hit the white way?

Full Breezer 4 Life

116. Hobie Hansen says:

One thing people forget about Millbury and Cherry, as dumb
    as they are, is they come from a time when intimidation was allowed to play a bigger
    role in the outcome of a game. I agree that they are not realizing or admitting
    the reason Montreal has its best team in almost 20 years is because they’re
    playing smart, structured and disciplined hockey.

It’s not just coincidence Montreal doesn’t have a designated
    tough guy on their team, it’s because Gauthier doesn’t want to have a player on
    the ice that jeopardises the team on either side of the puck. I think maybe
    Montreal is unlucky in the fact that they don’t have a guy who can do both, as
    in play strong defence and still hammer somebody in a fight.

There are times in a
    season, not extraordinarily often but there’s definitely times where a fight is
    warranted and Montreal doesn’t have that type guy.  That will hopefully change; maximum amount of
    time Montreal will have to wait is until big Tinordi is developed. Hopefully a
    real bruiser comes their way before then.

117. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I was going to point-out (as if it was necessary) to HH that French-Canadians ARE quasi-‘Latin-american’ as well …but I thought HH wouldn’t be ‘Tankful’

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

118. sidhu says:

Word is that Brian Burke will sign him to a 5 year, $30m contract.

119. Exit716 says:

Harris has always been a Bruins PR homer. What he writes is always biased.

120. Psycho29 says:

From The CBC Ombudsman:

CBC’s Office of the Ombudsman was set up to help ensure that the Corporation’s policies and standards of journalism be fully observed in CBC news and current affairs programming.  Sports programming is generally beyond the mandate and jurisdiction of this office.  However, I have shared your e-mail with senior programmers in CBC Sports so that they may be aware of your concerns.

Sincerely,

Kirk LaPointe
    CBC Ombudsman

He copied about 3 other people including David Masse

121. Da Hema says:

It would be interesting to know the rationale for sharply distinguishing between the CBC’s news and current affairs programming and CBC Sports. Why would the former be within the mandate of the Ombudsperson, and yet the latter not? So the sports division of CBC has carte blanche to do whatever it fancies? Very strange.

122. 123456 says:

on the contrary i read an bruins forum with a thread dedicated to the hit- started by a habs asking asking for an honest opinoin of the hit – at the time all 19 responders from boston said it weas a darn good great clean hit

123. homerbowen says:

Cherry pushed hard for the Laffs to bring Kadri up from the Marlies. He said he was a scorer and needed to be up in the NHL. Then those bozo’s managing the Laffs brought him up and Cherry said “see I told you it was the right thing to do”. Now that Kadri has been up for about 17 games and has filled the net do you think Cherry will admit he was wrong, or will he be too busy supporting Milbury and attacking the Habs for their “cockroach” players?

I say “off with their Laff cheerleading heads”

124. VancouverHab says:

I think that the message is: “Dude– lighten up: it’s sport! Let’s keep the hyper-sensitivity and prissy protocols for politics.”

I like that message: that is a good message.

125. Da Hema says:

That is possible.

Although your canyon-sized distinction between sports and politics seems artificial. Where there are human beings, there is politics.

126. DearyLeary says:

I too received this same message.

127. Exit716 says:

Nah, it’s “We can’t criticize Hockey Night In Canada. It’s the only cash cow for now and funds great CBC programming.”

128. Ayan_SB says:

Which reminds me of a question I’ve been wondering for a few years now…

Who the F. is Jeff Finger and why does he get paid $3.5 million a year?

129. Da Hema says:

As the estimable Dave Van Horne would say, “up, up, and away!” Nice home run you hit there!!

The CBC is probably still paying for the production costs of “Adrienne Clarkson Presents” via its HNIC cash cow.

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

Not just quasi but are my friend in Surrey. That was the gist of my post. ;-)

131. kempie says:

This made me LOL.

132. SeriousFan09 says:

In a Thank God for that Moment with Pacioretty up with the Canadiens, Ben Maxwell is back in the lineup for the Bulldogs and has a goal in his first game back, Bulldogs lead Oklahoma City Barons 1-0 after 20 minutes.

Palushaj and Nash with the assists.

133. Strabo says:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_BStkVC_zQ (English)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EN3rZNnw68I&feature=related (Francais)

PK Subban hit.

“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.” Albert Einstein

134. Graves says:

I still remember the headline in the Toronto Sun the day after that deal was announced: “Fletcher gives Leafs the Finger.”

135. habsfansince91 says:

because the genious cliff fletcher thought he was signing John Michael Liles and mistakenly signed Fisher instead.

136. Da Hema says:

It does provide a comparative context for the Gomez contract….

and reveals the Leafs are utter morons.

137. habsforthecup says:

HNIC Angry Birds Edition – http://yfrog.com/h34twp
    – A

138. scrowe21 says:

Boyd scores for the Bulldogs… Sergei adds another assist to his point streak tonight.

139. SeriousFan09 says:

Maxwell and Boyd in the lineup are a huge impact for Bulldogs offence.

In more disturbing news, Bulldogs D Mathieu Carle is going to miss up to 4 weeks with an upper body injury, another injury for him, I am seriously concerned he is too fragile to ever make the NHL. This is another blow to the blue line corps of the Bulldogs, who lost their ace in Subban and have Yannick Weber up with MTL.

140. Da Hema says:

I must confess, I always wanted to know what 23,000 teddy bears looked like on ice. At least the Calgary Hitmen didn’t distribute meat cleavers to fans….

141. punkster says:

I had a Subbang day. Hope you’re all Subbangin’ tomorrow.

***Subbang!!!***

142. Da Hema says:

I am quietly subbanistic today. Thank you for asking.

143. Ayan_SB says:

No wonder Mike Milbury hates the Canadiens. Larry Robinson and the Habs have beaten this man silly in every sense of the word.

144. Yeats says:

The “little” guys throw annoying “little” elbows and such? Grow a sack with a pair pal! Do you know how candy ass you sound?

145. Bill says:

This is pretty off-topic, but … yesterday Ray Bourque was here in Moncton to play in a charity game, and my son’s novice team got to participate as part of a joke at the end of the 1st period. These are seven year-olds, right? Anyway, wanted to mention how awesome Bourque was: he went around at patted each of the little guys on the head, tapped their sticks, etc., and did autographs and photos with all of them in the locker room after the game. Got some awesome pictures of my kid with a hall of famer. WHAT a classy guy and one of the best all time … should’ve played for the Habs!

Full Breezer 4 Life

146. mrstewart61 says:

I had to laugh (again) at the lack of hockey knowledge that Bob Cole has.  Last night he continually commented on Cammy’s fight with one of the Bruin ‘tough guys’.  That would be David Krejci, for whom it was also his first NHL fight, and who had a whopping 26 PM last year!  What a joke.

———————————————————————————————————————-

If a man speaks in a forest where no woman can hear him, is he still wrong?

147. Yeats says:

Even when they do things down in the NYC area, NHL players are without a doubt the best of all professional athletes when dealing with the public. I’m a guy from the Bronx, but I attribute it to the Canadian roots of the game. They are the classiest of all pros and the influence of your country is the reason why!

148. SeriousFan09 says:

That is quite awesome! Bourque was too good for the Bruins.

149. Yeats says:

The game was on NHL Net so my NESN feed was blacked out last night. Did Jack Edwards have a stroke and die? Crap, there goes one of my holiday wishes!

Man… sick like a dog. And not for a good reason (such as hangover, for example) either. Damn kids… Some little parasite brings cold to daycare, then my kiddo gets it resulting in me not sleeping since sunday and now that she is fine I fall. Sigh. And no Habs game tomorrow either… seriously… how can this league not have a Habs game on Sat night? Bettman is useless. Everything is useless. I am pretty cranky.

151. Yeats says:

Welcome to the plague pit of parentville boyo!

152. ProHabs says:

LOL. Sounds like an upper body. Take a couple of days off and you will come back feeling refreshed. You will be like the Gomez of HIO.

153. Bill says:

Daycare is the root of all evil. Better check yourself for lice while you’re at it.

Full Breezer 4 Life

154. aemarchand11 says:

I love that after the hit, in typical Shawn Thornton fashion, he goes right after subban with another bruin. It’s pretty sad when clean hits result in a bunch of meatheads trying to attack the hitter.

2010-2011

155. RJB says:

So I just got home for the holidays, and my dad and I went to take in the Knights and the Attack tonight in downtown London. Saw Tinordi play for the first time. I know its been going rough for him this season, but he played out of this world tonight. He is not only a beast (just gigantic, he towered over everyone) but he also played big too. My dad was commenting on how good his stick work is, and I noticed how great he is at just overpowering guys and pushing them off the puck. His coach obviously saw he was having one heck of a game, because he was getting tons of time on the PK. And he was rewarded for it! He scored his first OHL goal, shorthanded! (The goalie put it into his own net but still, it counts as his goal!!) I was totally impressed by his game overall, and I really hope this is a turning point for him this year!

– Bilbo Baggins

156. punkster says:

Not to worry. Only 14 to 16 more years of that passing the bug back and forth thing. Once they go through every imaginable illness they build an immunity. You, of course, never will. After that it’s clear sailing…with a few side trips involving laying awake night wondering why they’re not home at curfew, forking over an endless flow of spending money and a trip or two to debtors’ prison ;)

***Subbang!!!***

157. punkster says:

And compliments of the season to you, Brian! Hope you and the family have a wonderful holiday.

***Subbang!!!***

158. SeriousFan09 says:

I love the motivational speechs about my possible future around here, just the thing to pick me up.

159. SeriousFan09 says:

Thanks for the firsthand account! Nice to see Tinordi starting to keep pace in the OHL.

160. ProHabs says:

Has Panger been back on TSN since the white way comment. I haven’t seen him back on TSN or anywhere else. I hope he is on the air somewhere as he is good.

161. Hagar says:

So what happens if the Hitmen suck & don’t score a goal? Does everyone pack up their bears & go home? I’m sure this has probably never happened though. I mean, what visiting team is gonna pass up the opportunity to see over 20 000 bears litter the ice & then go to charity? They’re pretty much guaranteed a goal. That’s very crafty.

You will love it. The hourly wake-ups are the best.

Don’t know about Pang, but I noticed something really creepy about Michael Landsberg the other day – when he talks his ear lobes (not entire ear, just ear lobes) move up and down. I don’t know how many plastic surgeries he’s had but that was really disturbing.

Come on, Kempie… at least you are about a yaer away from it. The real fun doesn’t start just yet for you.

165. Nahlsy says:

If such a thing happens, they just throw the bears on the ice at the end of the game. I’m not sure in all of the occasions that other teams have picked up on the tradition if it’s ever happened though. The closest I’ve seen was in Vancouver they scored the goal in OT to win 1-0.

My local team started the tradition about 13 yrs ago now, we had our game last week. It’s good to see so many other cities picking up on it. It’s great fun for the fans and goes to a worthy cause.

166. punkster says:

OK. Your feverish Mike. Go to bed.

***Subbang!!!***

167. Mikey_39 says:

The worst part is we pay taxes to keep this joke of a network running.  The only way I’ll watch CBC is if they get rid of the garbage staff they have right now.  It won’t happen tho, so don’t hold your breath.  Lucky for us we have RDS that shows every Habs game so we don’t have to listen to these idiots.  Most people across Canada don’t have that luxury

168. Nahlsy says:

Funny thing is Milbury (ok that’s enough said right there, but I’ll continue) had 64 fights in 12 years or 5.3 fights per year. He’s whining that Lappy won’t fight because Lappy has 31 fights in 5 1/3 seasons now or 5.8 fights per year.

The homerism and the blind hatred of the Habs on CBC is beyond ridiculous and we all have known that for years of course. How Milbury has a job with how pathetic he is is beyond me though. He’s like the short one in Munchkin land over there. The comment about, ‘If I was coaching… well…’ should have been finished by, they’d be in the hunt for the number 1 overall draft pick, which you’d then trade for someone that wouldn’t be here in 2 years. Shut up Milbury, you’re a joke.

169. Max_a_million says:

NESN was far better last night, probably because Milbury was on CBC instead.

Edwards and Brickley like their team, but they give far more attention to the habs then CBC.

170. nick says:

Heres the quote:

“There comes a time when the opposition, the coach has to make an investment, the team needs to make an investment by making a statement with a guy like that. They can’t let him get away with that kind of stuff, it has to be – I’m sorry, premeditated, a preemptive strike on a guy to get it out of your system, to reveal him as the cowardly fraud he is.”

Way to keep it classy CBC.

171. sims says:

This is disgusting.  They should not get away with being so biased and condoning violence.

So basically lapierre should have taking a fighting major instead of scoring a goal to gain respect in his OWN dressing room?  CBC you are dead to me.  Would rather listen to pierre mcguire for 8 hours that listen to these two spew the crap they preached last night.

why am i so angry? its just a sport right?

172. jordo says:

I too would love to see more Montreal-Detroit games, but be careful what you wish for.  As a Habs fan near Toronto, it’s great to see the Yankees and Red Sox all season long, but ultimately, the Jays record suffers because of it.

I like the competitive balance in the NE.  But the Red Wings should still be in the conference!

173. sims says:

well i just sent a letter to the cbc ombudsman.  pretty sure no one will read it but if i get a response i’ll post!

ombudsman@cbc.ca

174. Mikey_39 says:

My pops wanted to do the same thing, but it’s a waste of time.  Someone on here had done that the last time Cherry called for a good ol fashioned lynching on Subban.  They replied that Cherry had done no wrong.  Seriously if you can avoid CBC it’s the best thing, because things will never change

175. SmartDog says:

A few of us did. We all got the same form letter back with clips from our emails pasted in saying “Don doesn’t think ____PASTE IN PHRASE___” and we don’t believe “___PASTE IN PHRASE___”.

I wrote the ombudsman back and asked if he thought it would be perfectly okay for me to go on TV and say “someone’s going to hurt Don Cherry if he doesn’t stop saying these tings about PK Subban”.  I haven’t heard from him.  I’m sure he’s busy kissng someone’s behind.

176. DearyLeary says:

I’m watching all the games in standard definition, due to no RDS HD feed here in the rotting suburbs of Ontario.  I’ve given up on the CBC and their promotion of hurting people to make a point.

Cherry: Embarrassed by the Canadiens

Millbury: Embarrassed by the Canadiens

Healey: Embarrassed by the Canadiens

Bob Cole: Embarrasses himself on a nightly basis

It’s to the point where just about everyone hates the Canadiens on the CBC, why they bother trying to hide it is beyond me.  Why we can’t get any pro-Habs talent for our tax dollars is beyond me.  They’ve got cheerleaders on every broadcast except ours.

When TSN does it, I don’t have that big a problem, it’s not a hole where our tax dollars go to die.  But when the product is publicly owned, we have every right to complain.

177. nick says:

I wonder if sending the letter to the competing news network would get anything done.

Hehe… I bet they would jump at making CBC look like fools.

178. Mikey_39 says:

Yup I agree.  If I were them, I would hire a couple of pro-montreal analysts.  They can continue hating on us all they want, but it would be a good business decision in a way to keep the Montreal fans ratings.  I don’t care if they bash us constantly, at least if we had a voice to defend the team it would be a constructive debate.

179. rocketsglare says:

Hey Cat, I think more of a mean streak.

I always thought he was a slapshot artist but he sure fooled us with that penalty move triple deke. I think you meant to say dekeshot artist.

181. The Cat says:

Cammalleri is a bit of a cheapshot artist.

182. rocketsglare says:

Strange the Habs not playing on a Saturday night. More time for the team to acclimate to the mile high altitude

of Denver. JM will probably have the lines playing shorter shifts than normal. Should be a great game tomorrow

night.

183. DearyLeary says:

It’s sickening.  The ECHL is classier than the CBC.

184. SPATS says:

Yep, PJ wanted to take the high road, but Milbully wanted to keep dredging the bottom of the pond. What a douche

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH!

185. WestHab says:

PJ Stock was funny last night as he was trying to balance the broadcast, speaking to mulbury. ” You have go to Boston tomorrow and I have to go to Montreal.

- Who will be at the Heritage Classic?

186. nastyHABit says:

According to experts,if a nuclear hollocost occured all that would remain would  be COCKROACHES

187. Derek2 says:

…and Keith Richards

188. Nojo says:

I would like to see an adjustment in the defensive pairings that would allow Spacek to get back to the left side where he is more comfortable. Hamrlik-Subban, Spacek-Weber, Gill-Jorges. It might be useful to have some more youthful legs with the older guys Hamrlik and Spacek.

The first two combos also give the Habs natural pairings for the power-play. (although they have been few and far between latlely) Good shooters like Subban and Weber might force PK defenders to play higher near the blueline which would give Cammalleri and AK a little more space in their favourite shooting position. Pk defenders definitely are not giving Cammalleri any space coming off the right side boards.

You cannot spend your way out of recession or borrow your way out of debt

189. terrygain says:

Spacek should go to the press box – left or right side doesn’t matter. Spacek/Weber  would be the least muscular defence pair in the history of hockey. Do you hate Weber? Picard has been a surprise and very solid. Why would you waste him for a defenceman on his last legs?

Did anyone notice how those Maple Leaf fans are such sheep? They support management no matter what. It’s no wonder they haven’t won in 43 years.

190. habs365 says:

Speaking of fighting…the Habs will have a fight on their hands tomorrow night against the AVC’s…could go either way…the teams are pretty much even.

191. J Haul says:

Excellent. Who was the good samaritan that took he shot? Picard maybe?

192. DearyLeary says:

Good news everyone, we sidelined Pronger for at least a month.  You’re welcome, rest of the league.

193. dh says:

Just saying, last year it was fine to be beating up on the smurfs.  Cherry, Milbury, Stock and the rest of the idiots went on and on with that.  Now that the habs kicking back, it’s an issue.  Like I said, Screw em.

194. DearyLeary says:

Well, it’s not that big a difference yet, but Eller is 6’2″, Patches is 6’2″, and PK is only listed at 6′, but he’s a sturdy fella.  That’s three young players that are above average in size, and they all play pretty robust games.

195. avatar_58 says:

But but but but but the scorers are small!

Honestly the smurf arguement is done. Pacioretty, Pouliot, Eller, Gill, Picard, AK46, Moen, Lapierre,….

Every team has short guys, the habs aren’t really the smallest

196. Nojo says:

Beside Subban’s occasional ballistic and beautiful body checks you couldn’t call any of the Habs defence physical. But they do play pretty well positionally and are now getting the support of their forwards. It does matter in many ways that Spacek would be better off on the left side. It would help his passes out of the defensive zone and his usefullness in the offensive zone. You are right that he isn’t getting any younger and being on his natural side would help cause it doesn’t look like he is going to the press box any time soon. I have nothing against Picard but he is average at best and i don’t think he is better than Weber. Picard weaknesses have been beginning to show of late. I think the Habs would be better off with at least 2 defensive pairings that have good and accurate point shots. And that means Weber and Subban. A lot of the Habs goals are a result of off of the rush. This is great but at lot of successful teams use the point shot much more effectively than Mtl.

You cannot spend your way out of recession or borrow your way out of debt

197. novahab says:

It’s take shots at the Montreal Canadiens week lol but then again look who doing it. A Boston player and writer and two ex Bruins . Then there is the CBC cast of idoits like Danny Don who just laughs and the biggest Bruin lover Cherry. Can anyone tell me if the crew on RDS have made any degroitory comnents about other teams or players. The real problem with all this is the refs are being influence .  I am predicting another game where the team might get one powerlay and has to kill of 5 or more.

198. Rugger says:

Dave, it’s the Boston Herald.  No one expects anything insightful from that rag.  The globe on the other hand occasionaly has some good stuff, yes Bruin tilted but not outragously do.

199. JohnBellyful says:

Dear Santa,
    I wrote to the adults in charge of television about some stuff they show on TV but they wouldn’t listen to me. I know I can count on you.
    You remember the Three Stooges, right? My Dad used to watch them all the time. Well, they’re back on TV and Dad says he remembers why he quit watching them. He really finds them annoying, and not even funny like they used to be.
    Sure, they look different and have different names – Don, Mike and PJ – but Dad says he’d know their act anywhere.
    My Dad lets me stay up Saturday nights so I can watch the game and when they come on, he leaves the room, or just stays in his chair and gets really mad. We’ve gone through two televisions already this season.
    Mom says you might bring us a new one this Christmas. That would be great, Santa, but could you give us a set that’s idiot-proof. I figure if that commishun can’t keep those Three Wise Guys – that’s what my Dad calls them – off television, maybe a new kind of TV could.
    Tommy
    P.S. Don’t forget batteries this year. I had to wait three days last time before Dad went to the store and got some so I could play with my new keyboard.

Dear Santa,
    Listen, you fat &*!@%, don’t give me any &^*%^$# lip about not taking %&^#@ letters from *&+*^@ adults. I’m in ^&$@^ charge of 18 %$^@! kids and I’m $^%#@ sick of being their $%@!% babysitter. I deserve a &*(%%# present after watching them #!@^$ blow seven &@%^T# games straight. Either you $!@#@&$ bring me a 10-game winning streak or I’m gonna !^#@!*& head up to your friggin’ igloo and stuff a @%$!! North Pole $#%@!^&$#@!!@&&*$%%$! naughty %$&$#@^ mistletoe &^*%&&$#@! Crosby *^*&%$(#X for goodness sake!
    Bruce
    P.S. Merry Christmas.
    P.S.S And a Happy #!@&^%d New Year

– “A little song, a little dance, A little seltzer down your pants.” –

200. Propwash says:

Bruce should watch this, and learn.

*Caution, block the kids ears*

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

201. Da Hema says:

To extend the Santa/Christmas theme below, Pierre Gauthier must send Christmas cards to

1. Randy Cunneyworth for his fine work with the young players in the system, and

2. Colin Campbell for his “fine” work overseeing the officiating (I suggest he write, “Merry Christmas, Arsehole”).

202. Habhopeful says:

Hey does anyone know where i can watch 24/7 series online by any chance?

Thanks,

203. andrewberkshire says:

You can probably get it on a torrent if you know how to use it.

edit: you can definitely get it as a torrent

204. Ayan_SB says:

The first episode of the HBO show Pens-Caps 24/7 is now on NHL.com for free!

205. Ayan_SB says:

Just found this article on Carey Price. Chris Osgood had some very interesting things to say about Price before the Habs-Red Wings game last week.

“Let’s be honest,” Detroit Red Wings goaltender Chris Osgood
    said. “He’s one of the best goalies in the league. I mean, who else
    would they want to have in net? Even when Halak was there. …”

Osgood paused.

“There’s a reason they kept Carey Price, put it that way,” Osgood continued. “And everybody knows why.”

Just to be clear, why is that?

“Why?” Osgood said. “Because he’s an all-star goalie. He’s 23. To
    me, in the long run, when it’s all said and done, he’ll be a superstar
    player. I’m not so sure Halak will be.”

206. Da Hema says:

That’s refreshingly frank.

207. andrewberkshire says:

Great interview. Lidstrom was really impressed with Subban as well after the game.

208. SeriousFan09 says:

Red Wings are a fantastic organization, wish they could be in our Division, had enough of the low-rent garbage from TO, Boston and the who-cares-they-exist of Buffalo/Ottawa.

209. DearyLeary says:

Coming from people in, arguably, the most consistently competitive team in the league over the past decade, this ought to give warm fuzzies to all i/o posters.  Building good talent from within, and filling key roles through trades and free agency has always been the hallmark of success, moreso in a salary capped world.

210. A. Berke says:

That’s probably one of the reasons as well as a trait of the Wings being a classy outfit.

Ali B.

211. New says:

With apologies to Randy Newman

They got stupid little sticks
    Tiny little eyes
    They skate around
    Tellin’ great big lies
    They got tiny little helmets
    And tiny little gloves
    They wear tiny skate protectors
    On their nasty little feet

Well, I don’t want no short people
    Don’t want no CH people
    Don’t want no Habs people
    `Round here

Short people got nobody
    CH people got nobody
    Habs people got nobody
    To fight

They got little sharp elbows
    That poke ya so low
    You got to grab em at the throat
    Just to say hello
    They got ugly little fans
    That go olay, olay, olay
    They got chirpy little voices
    Goin’ yap, yap, yap
    They got grubby little fingers
    Behind the poor refs back
    They’re gonna get you every time
    Well, I don’t want no short people
    Don’t want no short people
    Don’t want no short people
    ‘Round here

Poor David Krejci

212. Habhopeful says:

Thanks, im not too familiar with torrents, and NHL.com for me, the screen is always screwy, like im 12 years old watching scribleys again lol i heard im not the only one though

213. Ayan_SB says:

Even PTI’s Tony Kornheiser and Michael Wilbon are talking about the Subban hit.

They loved it.

214. avatar_58 says:

I can’t watch those two, they are so ornery and bitchy

215. JohnBellyful says:

Yeah, and Wilbon criticized him for letting up! Gimme me a break. Subban delivered as much hurt as if he had hit him with his shoulder, without the possibility of getting his elbow up or hitting him in the head. If Don Cherry doesn’t say that was a beauty, that’s further proof of his phoniness as a hockey analyst.

216. Da Hema says:

I am drawing up my Christmas shopping list. I could use some help rounding out the list.

Mike Boone: a cannabis vaporiser

Pierre Gauthier: a steak dinner at The Keg

Jacques Martin: a lifetime membership in Toastmasters

Josh Gorges: a Homedics body messager

P.K. Subban: the DVD “How to Survive and Thrive in a White Man’s World”

Hal Gill: the book The Art of Skating by Irving Brokaw

Jaro Spacek and Roman Hamrlik: a year’s supply of Geritol

Andrei Kostitsyn: an iPod with the song “Waking Up is Hard to Do” by Neil Sedaka

217. mike g says:

Something tells me Boone wont appreciate the vaporiser. He seems old-school, so is probably used to/loves the good ol zig zags.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

218. SeriousFan09 says:

Some less looked-up stats:

Josh Gorges leads the team and is 5th in the NHL with 75 blocked shots, Roman Hamrlik is not far behind with 73, Gill has 65.

Maxim Lapierre leads the team with 87 hits, AK has 65 and Pouliot is at 56.

Tomas Plekanec leads with 21 takeaways, Gionta is not far behind with 19, Spacek with 18.

219. NoTinFoilCups says:

Pouliot may be a late bloomer. Nice to see how he coming along and getting that edge to his game. If he could just beef up that skinny frame of his we might have us another power forward.

220. Graves says:

I’ve really noticed Pouliot’s physical game picking up in the last couple of weeks. It seems like he’s getting a handle on how to use his frame to his advantage at the NHL level – he’s not just hitting a lot, he’s beginning to hit hard.

221. dasbooth says:

Out of curiosity, where do you get stats on blocked shots, takeaways etc…

“Shutouts are really more of a team stat” – Carey Price

222. OneTimer says:

I’m noticing little things here and there did I didn’t notice last year: his skating stride looks awesome, he can really turn on the jets when he wants to, and also he’s got a mean slap shot (sick goal last week, don’t remember against who). Looks like there’s lots of tools in his toolbox.

223. kakey says:

That goal was against Detroit.

Don’t forget he was a 2005 4th overall draft pick so he certainly have the tools like you said. Nice to see the increase in intensity of him lately.

224. Da Hema says:

Thanks.

Forgot a gift for Dave Stubbs: a new, new HIO server (for Christ’s sake)!

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

Health Canada is reminding Canadians that consumption of the Toronto Maple Leafs has led to vomiting, fever, bloody diarrhea, dementia, and penile dysfunction. For mor

225. Duke_Rauol says:

I see Boone as more of a flavored paper kinda guy.  He’s old school so he’d dig the horse blanket papers!

226. SeriousFan09 says:

NHL.com, go to individual stats and use the pull-down bar where it says summary and go to “Real-time Stats”.

227. dasbooth says:

Awesome, thanks. This oughtta shut up a few leafs fans over on TSN…

“Shutouts are really more of a team stat” – Carey Price

228. Propwash says:

LOL, they’re mad cause they lost.

Cammi’s penalty shot to rub it in their faces….

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

229. andrewberkshire says:

I just wanna go up to Krejci and that columnist and ask; “u mad? Yaaaaaaaa, u mad.”

230. sidhu says:

That Boston article’s opening paragraph is just ridiculous — they are sore losers, plain and simple.   Calling us “despicable” and “dirty” is laughable, when they have guys like Chara and Recchi.  Marchand got nailed by a beauty that would make Scott Stevens proud.

GO HABS GO!

231. WestHab says:

I didn’t read the article but what comes out of bean town is usually a fart. We were saved the nonsense of cherry last night.

- Who will be at the Heritage Classic?

232. HabFanSince72 says:

Check out the comments in that article.

233. Garghamel says:

Never mind what journalists write. It’s all just fodder for the flock. Know the game and come to your own conclusions.

234. forskis says:

I agree with Garghamel below…people will write what they will write…although the amusing thing about that link is the photo that goes with the article:  Bergeron landing what looks like a waist-level roundhouse kick to the ribs of Gill (at least it can be construed that way).

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

235. DearyLeary says:

I don’t understand Boston fans… the Bruins philosophy has pretty much been commit so many penalties that the referee couldn’t possibly call them all.  There were a tonne of penalties that went uncalled against the Bruins.  This is just a sore loser city, and I dare them to point out one instance of actual ‘dirty play’ from the Habs last night.

236. ahmerica says:

Krecji handled himself quite well? Lol what? Did he even watch the game.
    Funny how they only talk about Marchand getting hit and not Pouliot
    getting hit, seems kind of biased, enough said

237. dh says:

So we have the Bruins and the Flyers bitching to the media.  We should piss of the Laffs and get the hat trick.

Seems like they’re not laughing at how the beat up on the smurfs any longer.  Screw em.