Audio: Off-ice day precedes road trip

Canadiens’ Mike Cammalleri finishes off his scrap Thursday with Bruins’ David Krejci.
Richard Wolowicz, Getty Images

AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Michael Cammalleri | Josh Gorges | Scott Gomez | Max Pacioretty | Maxim Lapierre

The Canadiens took their practice to the Bell Sports Complex gym in Brossard today, the team preparing to leave tomorrow for Denver and Sunday’s first of seven consecutive road games.

Head coach Jacques Martin expects to start goalie Carey Price in the three games next week that precede Christmas, and should use Alex Auld in at least one of the four between Christmas and New Year’s Eve. The Habs play back-to-back games in Florida on Dec. 30 and 31.

None of the Canadiens spoken with today cared much for responding to charges that they’re dirty players who do their biggest damage illegally and behind officials’ backs. In the Boston Herald today, Stephen Harris begins his notebook as follows:

MONTREAL — The Canadiens are a
despicable and dirty little hockey team that loves to dish out nasty
cheap shots, often from behind, often after the whistle — and shows not
the slightest willingness to back up the stick-work by dropping the

1. andrewberkshire says:

“Get a social life”

Aka: I got caught spouting off my usual BS, everyone on the site knows it, so I’m going to go on the INTERNET and tell other people to get lives. Grow the *** up Lorne, you’re acting like a pathetic troll. Be an adult.

2. TripleX says:

For being a folower incapable of some independent thoughts.

Joey loves to take peoples comments out of context which invalidates the whole arguement.  My comments about the playoffs was in response to some on HIO saying that the Habs were the THIRD BEST team in the NHL now because of their playoff heroics.  I questioned this conclusion that it would automatically translate to the regular season.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

3. TripleX says:

Last year it was a Western Conference swing I assumed it would happen again this season.  I was incorrect on that fact so sue me.  The only big road trip this season takes place against two Western and five Eastern teams.

Since there is NO big western road trip this season your counter argument is just juvenile hot air and semantics.

Where is the negativity?  It is no fantasy that the early part of the schedule has been fairly easy for the Habs.  Last season the team was barely at .500 all season UNTIL the seven game Western swing.  Do you deny the possibility they bonded as a team and gained confidence by going 6-1 on the road?  The fact is that those seven games quite possibly was the genesis of the team we saw in the playoffs.

I never said anything about the Bruins or Philly dude.  I always said until they went on the big Western road swing.

You need to get a social life since you seem to have a better grasp on what I posted months ago than I do.  I have no idea what you posted yesterday let alone months.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

4. J Haul says:

Just a site-related suggestion here:

I think i/o should change the default way links are posted and opened here. As it stands right now, if someone just simply posts a link in their article, it navigates to that page and you have to hit back in your browser to get back to i/o. To change this and have the links open in new tabs it takes extra steps that not many people seem to be aware of, or motivated to do.

I’m aware of “open link in new tab”, but it’s not something that I remember every time. Besides, doing that on every link renders the extra steps to make it openable in a new tab even more useless.

It really is a nice thing when a link opens in a separarte tab. If I’m the only person that feels that way, feel free to tell me to take a flying leap.

5. DearyLeary says:

Lucic broke Komisarek like you break a puppy’s spirit.  He used to be full of youthful exuberance, but now he just mopes around and turns the puck over.

6. J Haul says:

I just linked to another of Harris’ articles and found this gem from Lucic after their game with the Sabres:

“C’mon. If you’re going to call something earlier and come over and
    explain it to me, you’ve got to keep it consistent. I just don’t get it.
    And then just for calling a ref a joke and saying he’s embarrassing,
    you can’t put us down a man. Give me a 10(-minute misconduct). You can’t
    put us down at that point in a game.”

Shouldn’t this baffoon know that you can’t embarass a referee like that? I mean, he’s been playing hockey his whole life. Of course you’re going to be tossed in the box! Gotta love the sense of entitlement though… “can’t put us down at that point… whaaaaa”

I shouldn’t even link to it, since this asshat doesn’t deserve any more hits, but it’s the reputable thing to do (something Harris apparently knows nothing about):

7. DearyLeary says:

He has no respect for the Habs, and none for PK… what gives you the impression he’ll break those trends to talk about fights after a clean hit?

8. SeriousFan09 says:

I say good people of Boston, it was quite embarassing when Mike Cammalleri deked Thomas out of his jock, PK Subban drilled Marchand through the space-time continuum last night, Mike Cammalleri got a takedown on Krejci in the strangest fight of Montreal or Boston’s season and even Colin Campbell’s fake artist kid couldn’t draw enough bad penalties for us to tie the game.

Google Translate now works on Bostonian.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

9. SaskieHabFan says:

I actually think Cherry might make a comment on PK’s hit as clean and “respectful” Saturday night because of the interview PK did in the 2nd intermission last night. PK clearly stated he was not looking to hit the head. I actually think Cherry might give him a little credit, but feel free to pour it on if I am completley wrong….

10. forskis says:

Someone mentioned way below how cherry will treat this on Saturday so here is what I think:

Cherry hates the fight after a clean hit…he will probably highlight Campbell’s attempt as bad (but think that Subban should have answered because there are few instances where you should turn a guy down) and highlight as good, the Thornton hit and how everyone, including Pouliot, continued playing because it was a good hard hit.  He will also highlight the Krejci/Cammalleri fight but ask why both of those players are fighting even though he loves it.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

11. avatar_58 says:

Scuse me can someone translate that article for me? I have trouble reading crybaby

12. Max_a_million says:

Foolishly is an adverb.  As such it describes an action, and not a person.  For that you would need an adjective.

So, it can not be an insult of you as a person.  It does question your actions in this case as acting in a incredibly biased manner.

13. J Haul says:

Perfectly put.

14. DrewCareyPriceIsRight says:

I dunno guys…what does the future of NHL hold if even clean hits require retribution.

PK really could have taken the guys head off if he wanted to so kudos to him for playing it clean and just putting up a road block on the puck carrier and thus separating him from the puck.  That’s what a hit is supposed to do.

I didn’t see Benny or any of his teamates head hunting after he got levelled…and the habs are the dirty ones?

Back to the original point though, have players and analysts become so hyper-sensitive of hits that even clean ones are admonished?  PK is 2 for 2 on beautiful clean hits on the puck carrier (I though this is what good strong defensemen do)…I’d understand the hoopla if an elbow or shoulder was making contact with a head…but really, it has gone overboard.

Tony on team 990 was fielding all kinds of calls on this when it should not even be mentioned outside the fact that they were good clean hits and congratulating PK for them.

15. Chorske says:

I think we have a bigger persecutory complex than most teams out there. We think CBC favors Toronto. We think the refs favor guys like Pronger who get away with murder against us. We begrudge and bemoan every non-call, every whistle. I’ve seen games in NJ, Toronto, Chicago, Boston, NY, and Vancouver. I have never seen a crowd that complains as much as the one in MTL.

Certainly, there is a strong tendency to complain about the refs and the league on HIO. But the average fan at the game is a LOT worse.

My point is that a pro sports reporter shouldn’t sound like an irate teenage homer.

16. JD_ says:

It’s the stuff of bein’ hopped up on goofballs and, frankly, I’m takin’ all of it as a big badge of honour. Cherry’s angry rants, Milbury’s frustrated meltdown, it’s all good, Ch.

The Habs’ franchise, although dry for a decade-and-a-half, is a glory-be-freakin-halle-effin’-mofo-lujah phenomenon and nobody who has anythin’ to do or say about it will ever let you forget that fact. The team’s fans generally know their shiznat, will not accept complacency, know how to win big, and are a completely insufferable lot if you aren’t one of them.

See, if I wasn’t such a huge Habs fan, I’d probably loathe Habs fans to my very core.

So, the Habs are winnin’ and winnin’ convincingly. And they’re doin’ it with spit and vinegar. And it’s drivin’ everyone who isn’t a Habs fan, or who begrudges the Habs their gloried past, effin’ batshit crazy.

So, bring it on. Bring on the barbs ‘n’ insults ‘n’ putdowns ‘n’ accusations, you know, just get all curled up into that wee l’il “I hate it! I hate it!” fetal position. Go to effin’ town, baby, cuz it’s music to my ears!

Know what? It won’t matter one iota. The Habs are gonna keep deliverin’ the goods. They’re gonna keep standin’ up for one another. They’re gonna keep winnin’.

The angry, frustrated, chest thumpin’ will just be that: A tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothin’.

Subbang, baby!

17. ESundy36 says:

Harris is a hack and the Herald is a hack paper so I am not surprised by his comments.

18. Chorske says:

Was gonna go over to the Herald web site and leave a comment, but about a thousand Habs fans beat me to it. And they were none too gentle about it, too.

19. mike g says:

Anyone listen to Ron Fournier last night?

After the game, he was praising Patches, and repeatedly singing an Italian song and inserting “Paccioretty” into it. Found it so funny, to the point where callers would simply say his name, and he’d go on singing…

Anyways, just watched Patches’ post-game interview, and something dawned on me: I speak and sound the exact same way as Patches when I get drunk, lol..

I’m not making fun of him or anything, don’t take it that way. It’s just the way he speaks, can’t knock him for that.

But I had to draw a similarity….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

20. Mikey_39 says:

If the CBC had any brains, they would hire a couple of Pro-Montreal analysts to balance out the the dumb-ass comments that get thrown around so easily.  It’s the only way they might keep all the Montreal fans, and the ratings

21. Mikey_39 says:

Any home crowd will see penalties everywhere, it’s not just in Montreal.  And ya we think that the refs are out to get us, but the facts speak for themselves.  We are constantly more penalized than our opponents, but that’s not because the opponents are more disciplined.  Countless times the refs will close their eyes on our opponent’s penalties, only to turn around and call stupid ones on us.

Despite this fact, our team and coach take full responsibility for these mistakes, just like a classy organization should.  However, how many times have you seen the other team complain about refs when they lose? Many!

22. SeriousFan09 says:

Rather not read about the player the Loafs may be giving beantown.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

23. ScottGomez says:

I agree.

Also, Gionta and Pacioretty are playing really well.

Sean Couturier

Couturier is one of the top 2011 Draft prospects, who has been discussed as a potential top three pick. Sean doesn’t have any true plus-plus tool, but he’s a very well-rounded prospect who is much more physically gifted than the average prospect in this tournament. He may be draft eligible, but he’s not that young compared to the pool of players, as his 18th birthday just passed on December 7th. With the lack of firepower on this team, Couturier should be given prime offensive minutes.

25. nick says:

Meh… Have you been around here after the last few losses? Not all that much different.

He sucks, MTL shouldn’t have given so an so a contract, officiating was garbage, trade him, he’s not big enough, he’s not french enough, bring back MAB, an oh the sky is falling.

26. rocketsglare says:

27. light_n_tasty says:

In defence of Maclean, he did start the second intermission by saying something sarcastic like, “And now here’s Mike Milbury and P.J. Stock, the unbiased Bruins alumni who were very critical of Montreal after the first period”.

28. Chorske says:

Whoa, I just read through a bunch of Harris’ articles. BRUTAL.

OK, Montreal fans are whiny, and we see penalties everywhere and we’re all conviced that the refs are out to get us. But our sports reporters are pretty level-headed… for example in yesterdays live blog, Boone questioned why the fans were booing a PK penalty call- Boone basically said the call was well-deserved and so on. When the Habs lose, they point to lack of discipline, not sticking to the system, mistakes, etc.

But this Harris guy is a total whiner and homer. Montreal is dirty and Krejci heroically fought back! The refs are dirty and Lucic heroically asstalked them late in a close game, so why was he assessed a penalty?! And so on. Harris isn’t even up to the standard set by some of our more clueless posters. His stuff certainly doesn’t read like pro sports writing.

29. Kooch7800 says:

I hate Lucic pretty bad but He did kick Komi’s ass and Komis is taller and is over 20 pounds havier. I used to Love Komi but Lucic has destroyed him. He hasn’t been the same since that fight.  He sucked when he came back for the habs and still sucks with the leafs

For the most part i do agree he picks his spots and smaller players.

30. andrewberkshire says:

No problem. It was a good game too.

31. DearyLeary says:

Exactly what I want out of the next great Francohope.

32. joeybarrie says:

Don’t you remember he said the Playoffs were not a good indicator of how good a team is. The Regular season President’s trophy is a good indicator of how good a team is…. But of course when we were number 1 in the East it was ‘regular season doesn’t matter in the playoffs’…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

33. Bugs says:

Facts are facts. What can you do?

Unquestionably unquestionable, I think I’m

L. Bugs Potter, esq., Herzog of ze Abominable Habsuchtig Brigade, Markgraf of ze Fearsome Flanell Flausen Flank, und devoted minion of ze Habsbros Order:

34. RJB says:

+10 to Berkshire,

“I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”
    – Bilbo Baggins

35. aemarchand11 says:

aahh, I was working and missed that, thanks.

36. DearyLeary says:

In Don’s eyes, if you’re Canadian, and don’t play for the Canadiens, you’re a good Canadian boy.

37. joeybarrie says:

5 points in 5 games, and the Habs are 1-5 without him…

The Habs would be playing golf April 1st without him.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

38. SeriousFan09 says:

Please, aside from his bout with Orr last year when was the last time he actually fought someone who could fight back? Hits from behind and goes for late hits whenever he can.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

39. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Lucic is a COWARD, who picks his spots and fights guy’s smaller than him.  Get a clue.

40. aemarchand11 says:

Brads Canadian, but by no means good lol

41. joeybarrie says:

Seems as there is some jealousy in Beantown… Just because we are 7w-1l against them in the last 2 seasons and 16w-6l in the last 4, PLUS the fact we are leading the series 3-1 from the last and 2 of those were from when they were in first…  SAD SAD SAD…

First they get our old dirty coaches, then our old dirty Ryder, coupled with the lack of Stanley Cups in the last 41 years… Pathetic little article. Sour Grapes???? Is that why we call Don Cherry Grapes??? Make some Ice Wine, cause we are taking ALL 6 games this season from them.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

42. andrewberkshire says:

He’s talking about the CBC broadcast of the Marlies vs Bulldogs AHL game last Sunday. Brad May said the Marlies should have jumped Fortier for poking the goalies’ pad in a scrum.

43. Habs_Fan_1 says:

He’s referring to the CBC’s AHL coverage of the Hamilton game last weekend. =)

44. SeriousFan09 says:

Hockey writer Corey Pronman broke down the entire Team Canada roster for the 2011 WJC, here’s his take on Louis Leblanc

“Leblanc is another solid two-way forward amongst this group who has NHL
    top six potential and should be used in a scoring role in the
    tournament. Leblanc displays solid skating, puck skills and shot tools
    with a willingness to grind and play defense. Leblanc doesn’t have any
    sort of glaring flaw in his game, but isn’t really a game breaker

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

45. oshawahabsfan says:

I love how halfway through their bitch session PJ goes “oh I know this sounds like we’re being bias towards the Bruins” and then Milbury chimes in with a little defensive “I’m not”. What a pathetic excuse for a hockey panel that was. Maclean just sits there with his thumbs up his ass the whole time, instead of maybe questioning their ridiculous statements. If PK fights someone for no reason, that’s going to get him respect, it’s going to make him look like an idiot for giving the other team a big advantage, as whoever PK fights will not be a player as good or important to his team as he is. Its a lose lose situation anyway you look at it

46. aemarchand11 says:

Brad is Family, but damn awesome hit and I loved watching him curl over on the bench lol.

47. aemarchand11 says:

You mean PJ Stock right?? Brad may is with Sportsnet.

48. fun police says:

A couple years ago, BGL asked lucic to fight after he embarrassed komi with the “heavy weight belt champ” motion.  Lucic wisely said no thanks.  don’t quite remember the milbury calling him a cockroach.  i’m pretty sure that pouliot would have dropped the gloves with recchi when he was using his stick to carve at benny.  recchi lost interest as soon as pouliot turned to face him.

Between brad may’s idiotic “i would have engaged him in a fight before he scored his third goal” to milbury’s cockroach comments, is there more of a joke of a broadcasting network than cbc.  the sad thing is our tax dollars are paying for milbury to bash a canadian team.

49. andrewberkshire says:

Actually at first you said it was silly to assess them before they played a western conference team, then you said it was silly to assess them until the played teams like the Flyers and Bruins, then you said it was silly to assess them before the west coast swing (which isn’t right now), so no, you haven’t said this all season. Just like everything else, you continually move the goalposts in order to stay skeptical and negative. It’s old and tired.

How they do in the next 7 games has absolutely zero baring on how they’ll perform in the post season, you know what does? The playoffs. That’s it, that’s all.

50. Nahlsy says:

We’ll leave it at we disagree and I won’t respond to your insults.

51. TripleX says:

LOL  Is it April 1st again?

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

52. Nahlsy says:

Read the above comment and try putting things back into context. If Subban jumped a Bruin, won a fight, challenged their bench to send someone out that was worthy of him, danced around like an idiot with his new heavy weight belt and such. THEN ran away when the other team had someone go out to accept his challenge and let Gionta stand up to the guy instead, he’d be a chicken for having his bluff called.

If you want to act tough and flex the guns over what a great fighter you are to rub the other team’s nose in how weak they are compared to you, you’re a flat out punk when their guy comes out and you run away crying.

53. SPATS says:

Good points, not to mention the pressure Cunneyworth is under replacing St. Guy de Psychology

54. Max_a_million says:

You are being foolishly biased.  It deters from any valid arguments you would try to make.

Lucic is a beast, and he did a number on Komisarek and the Canadiens.

How about some reasonableness?

55. Nahlsy says:

It’s Boston, home ot the Roid Sux and the Bruins. They like to play second banana to the tops in their sport and then spend their entire lives whining about them when they get put away and watch the other team rack up a combined, two team total of 51 titles.

56. Nahlsy says:

Dancing around, waving your hands in the air, challenging the other team’s bench and acting like an all around fool after a fight by someone that claims to be a fighter. Then backing down to the opposing team’s fighter when he comes out to have a word with you and letting Marc Savard stand up to Laraque in your place is a lot different than a non-fighter not throwing down with their goon because he just delivered a clean hit and their goon’s looking for any non-fighter that he can sucker into a fight.

57. Max_a_million says:

Was Subban a chicken for not fighting Campbell, Thornton, and Carcillo???

Top line guys have no business fighting 4th line goons if you are interested in winning.

What is fair for the goose is fair for the gander.

As much as BGL sucks, he was the best hockey fighter in the world.  So there are no more than 2 dozen guys with the cajones to mix it up with him in the world.

I would like to see you go a round with him …  where is the chicken at?

58. Max_a_million says:

You say that, and yet applaud our guys last night for doing the same thing.

Not letting your top line guy fight with a fourth liner is just smart hockey.  Subban is not a chicken for not fighting Thornton, Campbell, or Carcillo … neither was Lucic for BGL.

Swapping your best for goons in the sin bin for 5 minutes is a losing proposition.  Heck BGL never even played 5 minutes a game.

59. Will Longlade says:

Funny how PK’s clean hit on Marchand created such a storm. Meanwhile, you have Recci and Lucic charging guys all night with clear intent to injure and nothing said. Somethings definitely wrong with that picture.

60. Nahlsy says:

Go watch him tuck his tail between his legs and run away from Laraque all night while claiming his coach won’t let him fight again and tell me there’s no chicken in that putz.

Edit: So that it isn’t misread, I was calling Luchicken “that putz” and not calling you a putz. It could have been read either way upon re-reading it so I figured I’d clear it up before it was misread

61. jrshabs1 says:

Ha Ha Boston!! Beantown has played second fiddle to the Canadiens since the berth of the NHL. The pot loves to call the kettle black. Does anyone remember Luchicken running all over the ice lastyear been a dick and BGL coming out to have a conversation and luchicken wouldn’t even look at him? If it wasn’t for the damm “code” Luchicken should have got his beating and that would have been that. Oh well!! Habs are dominating the brew-crew in the last 2 seasons as it should be and the Boston Media  is crying about it..perfect!

Go Habs Go!!

62. Malreg says:

For everybody who complains how Subban is ruined because he makes some mistakes or has a bad game after just over 30 games of NHL regular season experience:  Drew Doughty was on the ice for ALL 6 goals that St-Louis scored last night.  He only finished -2 thanks to special teams.

The point is every young defenseman will have growing pains.  Doughty, who was a top 3 defenseman in the league last year, and one of Team Canada’s best at the olympics, has been struggling quite a bit this year.  These things are normal.  Be patient, and enjoy the ride.

63. Max_a_million says:

You might not like the Bruins, but their is no Chicken in that guy.  He is a beast.

We have some size in our lineup now though, and it’s nice to not be pushed around.

Two straight nights where we were not beaten physically by huge teams.

Patches, PK, and Eller make a huge difference in this.

64. Bugs says:

In-depth report: Scott Gomez living up to contract.

Unquestionably unquestionable, I think I’m

65. Max_a_million says:

I think it’s none too early to assess Randy Cunneyworth as doing a fantastic job.

Webber has been great, and Patches is a force of size, speed, passing, shooting …

Really impressive work in Hamilton.

66. TripleX says:

I have said all season that it was silly to assess how good this team is until the first big road trip.  Well here we go, seven grueling games on the road with some tough and not so tough competition.

Last season the team showed its compete level by going 6-1.  How they do this year in these seven games, will go a long way in evaluating how they do in the post season.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

67. krob1000 says:

I can’t knock Lucy , The Missing Link after all his discovery has done for humanity.

68. Nahlsy says:

Luchicken is Ak46’s bit… that’s twice now that AK has put him on his backside!

69. DearyLeary says:

He’ll call it a cheap shot, then he’ll call PK out for not fighting after a completely clean and legal hit.  He won’t lambaste that good Canadian boy Marchand for skating with his head down into a pitbull like PK.

70. habs63 says:

Another back to back. Come on!

How many more do we have?

71. habs-hampton says:

So on Sat. night, will Don show it as the way a good ‘ol Candian boy hits, or will it be a cheap shot? Either way, Don will have it in his next Rock’em Sock’em. Anything for a buck!

72. habs-hampton says:

And they were whining Wednesday night when the Sabres beat them. Poor little Lucy can’t get a break.

73. rocketsglare says:

Wow, the Habs must have done a number on the Bruins psyche for them to be crying like this.

74. Nahlsy says:

So Don Cherry wants to go on and on and on and on trashing Subban up and down the airwaves because he’s got a burr under his saddle? PK’s response seems to have been to destroy one of his beloved Bruins.

So Don, got anything else to say now after that? Love it PK, don’t change a damned thing!

75. Lancer says:

hey Stephen Harris a little crackers and cheese with your whine?