Audio: Off-ice day precedes road trip

Canadiens’ Mike Cammalleri finishes off his scrap Thursday with Bruins’ David Krejci.
Richard Wolowicz, Getty Images

AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Michael Cammalleri | Josh Gorges | Scott Gomez | Max Pacioretty | Maxim Lapierre

The Canadiens took their practice to the Bell Sports Complex gym in Brossard today, the team preparing to leave tomorrow for Denver and Sunday’s first of seven consecutive road games.

Head coach Jacques Martin expects to start goalie Carey Price in the three games next week that precede Christmas, and should use Alex Auld in at least one of the four between Christmas and New Year’s Eve. The Habs play back-to-back games in Florida on Dec. 30 and 31.

None of the Canadiens spoken with today cared much for responding to charges that they’re dirty players who do their biggest damage illegally and behind officials’ backs. In the Boston Herald today, Stephen Harris begins his notebook as follows:

MONTREAL — The Canadiens are a
despicable and dirty little hockey team that loves to dish out nasty
cheap shots, often from behind, often after the whistle — and shows not
the slightest willingness to back up the stick-work by dropping the
gloves.

1. Nahlsy says:

So Don Cherry wants to go on and on and on and on trashing Subban up and down the airwaves because he’s got a burr under his saddle? PK’s response seems to have been to destroy one of his beloved Bruins.

So Don, got anything else to say now after that? Love it PK, don’t change a damned thing!

2. Lancer says:

hey Stephen Harris a little crackers and cheese with your whine?

3. Hagar says:

That was good.

4. OneTimer says:

at least he didn’t migrate to another “browser”, huh Mr. L.A.? ;)

5. TripleX says:

You must be in eternal conflict sir.

On the one hand you take personal affront to my “immature” comment, so much so that you felt compelled to insult me.  The fact the “immature” comment was directed at a third party was apparently not relevant.  I will from this point forward assume any insult directed at JM is an attack on you.

But I am intrigued that you take as a badge of honor NOT to be considered “mature”, yet you take umbrage at perceived “immature” behaviors.  Such a duality in nature is as I said very intriguing.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

6. TripleX says:

If you honestly consider the word “silly” to be highly inflammatory and worthy of umbrage……well you must live in a very polite city.

In Calgary it is hardly more offensive than the phrase “really?”.

“silly”: when referencing a conclusion or idea can also mean irrational or ill conceived.

I was stating coming to a too early conclusion on the relative status of the Montreal Canadiens before the big road trip was “silly”.  I did not intend to insult any individual or group.  In any event the reaction was all out of proportion to the innocence of the original commentary.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

7. GrimJim says:

Sorry Lorne, but once again the facts fail you. You started this entire thread with “I have said all season that it was silly to assess how good this team is until the first big road trip.” This infers that anyone judging the Habs prior to the first big road trip is being “silly”. Last I checked silly is a prejorative term meaning “weak-minded or lacking sense; absurb; ridiculous; irrational”. I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume it was not your intention to insult anyone but like it or not you started off the whole smozzle with an inflamatory and derisive statement. You, Lorne were the first to sling mud. You have now reaped what you sowed.

8. andrewberkshire says:

He’s a rich kid, RJB. Anything that goes against him will be considered persecution. He can’t handle even the slightest disagreement.

9. andrewberkshire says:

No problem at all.

10. andrewberkshire says:

How challenging grade 12 must be…. Oh wait, it wasn’t. I also went through Alberta high school, only I also worked full time during grade 12, and still found time for hobbies and a social life. Maybe your problem is budgeting time. If so, don’t bother going to university, you’ll bomb out in a single semester. Your sarcasm about my writing is pretty knee-slappingly funny. In my spare time I wrote an article that was featured on NHL.com, what have you accomplished lately, Lorne?

11. secretdragonfly says:

Benoit is Franco-Ontarian and speaks lovely French – but to Cherry he’ll be “one of those visor-wearing French guys” – sigh.

12. punkster says:

Oh yah, well my family is spending Xmas in Wellesley and we’ll have snow. So there!

***Subbang!!!***

13. Da Hema says:

Ok, thanks Andrew.

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

Health Canada is reminding Canadians that consumption of the Toronto Maple Leafs has led to vomiting, fever, bloody diarrhea, dementia, and penile dysfunction.

14. punkster says:

Yes, my immature response was in response to your immature statement that JM is a dummy. Since JM doesn’t come around often I thought I’d jump in and stick up for him by fighting like-for-like. Now if you had presented factual, relevant arguments to support your immature comment then I would have responded in a factual, relevant immature fashion. If you had presented factual, relevant arguments with a mature comment I would responded in like.

And no, I was never accused of being mature and I hope I never will be :)

As for the bait comment…well I guess that says it all.

***Subbang!!!***

15. andrewberkshire says:

He can definitely speak french, same dialect as Jacques Martin.

16. RJB says:

They disagree with you, that doesn’t mean they bully. Come on now, don’t be ridiculous man.

“I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”
    - Bilbo Baggins

17. TripleX says:

Whereas you are finding time between Pulitzer Prize winning “essays” to comment on HIO, I find this HS year to be very time intensive.

Having finished finals I now have time to come on HIO.  The fact it coincides with the three game losing streak is just happenstance.

I have to laugh at the preposterous claim that it is I who sling insults.  I only ever respond with disparaging remarks when someone else begins it.

No worries though, as my family is spending Christmas in Maui, so depending on internet access I will be absent for a while.  So you and your posse are free to bully anyone on HIO who dares to have an opposing opinion.

Aloha brah!

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

18. punkster says:

I kind of figured that when I met you at the Summit. You looked like you were having way too much fun ;)

***Subbang!!!***

19. Da Hema says:

Um, Benoit Pouliot was born in St. Isidore, Ontario. He ain’t Quebecois, and I am not even aware he can speak french (correct me if I am mistaken).

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

20. andrewberkshire says:

Well according to TX, none of us do, so you’re in good company. And I’ll be joining the married ranks this summer so there goes mine!

21. TripleX says:

punkster: ” get off the internet dummy”

Do you mean that mature comment?

How would an “adult” respond?

How about the one and I paraphrase here:  ” I hope Triplex takes the bait?”

I suppose you find my comment about being thought of as more mature than my age is funny, because it has never happened to you.

ps don’t sell yourself short sir, you do indeed belong with the aformentioned company although you do have a sense of self deprecation.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

22. GrimJim says:

I’m 48 and married. of course I don’t have a social life.

—–rimshot——-

23. sholi2000.com says:

Right click, open new tab.

It took me a long time to train my noggin, but it works.

They Call Me Shane

24. VancouverHab says:

You argue idiotically.

“Idiotically” here is an adverb — thus of an action and not a person, but I thus insulted you.

(Merely for pedagogical effect, of course….)

25. LA Loyalist says:

so you are a separatabist?

26. andrewberkshire says:

How dare you attempt to use facts to deconstruct TripleX’s posts! You must not have a social life then!!1111

27. VancouverHab says:

I should have read your post before I posted my reply above. The goal being scored in the ensuing (‘ensuing’ — one doesn’t hear that word often enough) power play makes P.K.’s declination an interesting discussion point.

28. VancouverHab says:

Well, we’ll find out tomorrow, won’t we?

But if he does report favourably after a Hab hits one of his for team’s players, then it will be very much to his credit.

My guess? He compliments the Cammi scrap.

29. GrimJim says:

What big western conference road trip last season Lorne? The seven game Xmas road trip last year was against the Islanders, Atlanta, Carolina, Toronto, Ottawa, TB and Florida (unless you got it right and NHL.com got it wrong). Mtl did go 6-1 during that road trip, so you got that correct but it wasn’t against any Western Conf teams. Mtl started last season with a five game road trip that included Edm, Calg and Van. And then there was a four-game road trip in March that included San Jose, Kings and Anaheim. (BTW, Mtl went 0-3 on the first trip and 2-1 on the second against western teams). So what big Western Conference trip from last year are you referring to, Lorne?

And it’s not juvenile to counter your argument by questioning your opening premise when your opening premise is incorrect. If you base an argument on an incorrect fact, the entire argument fails regardless of how logically faultless you might be after that initial mistake.

30. davelecave says:

Ctrl – click

31. Nahlsy says:

If Cherry isn’t too cowed to speak on it, notice he only shows the three clips that prove him right and not the thousands of clips that prove him wrong. He says the Leafs will make the playoffs thanks to the points they got on opening night against Montreal, he will NEVER replay that and say oops I was wrong, for example. Cherry can’t admit mistakes.

Anyhow, if he isn’t too cowed, he’ll say basically what Milbury said. The cocky kid threw a hit and then ran away when Boston’s goon went looking for a fight. He pranced around the ice all cocky and stiff armed Campbell onto his butt and wah wah wah he can’t hit a perfectly good white boy like that and not have to answer to the lynch mob that chased after him. I can’t see Cherry saying anything but that about it if he hasn’t opted to hide from it because his Bruin was the victim of the hit of the decade by the youngster he’s been attacking relentlessly.

32. andrewberkshire says:

How dare you remember yesterday, Punkster! Get a social life!

33. punkster says:

Hmmm, I seem to recall you responding to my most recent response to one of your comments. It seems like only esterday. In fact it was. And you weren’t very mature about it.

However, besides that, I have to say your statement “I do act like someone older than my chronological age and I am told that almost daily.” has me in absolute stitches.

Now, let’s get into this whole lumping me in with Andrew Berkshire, joeybarrie and stormman thing. I object to being compared in any way to these fine gentlemen. I am but a shadow in their presence.

***Subbang!!!***

34. avatar_58 says:

I trained myself just to open in a new tab anyway, using the middle-mouse click. That way I don’t have to worry

35. CDH says:

Don’s a blow-hard.

36. andrewberkshire says:

Would you like to compare schedules to see who’s busier Mr. high school? No one is baiting you, you bait yourself by making stupid comments and predictions, then pretending you didn’t. If you think I’m angry you’re grossly misjudging as I’m currently smirking behind this computer screen as your ridiculous attempts to make anyone who calls you on your BS seem like bullies is a nice break from writing essays.

I find it endlessly amusing that you were pretty much nonexistant on this website for much of the season while the Habs were kicking ass and taking names, and after a 3 game losing streak here you are again with the same old tripe, bitching about a coach who’s looking at a sure nomination for the Jack Adams, and complaining about anyone you deem “old”. You really have a lot of growing up to do, I used to hate hearing that in high school, but it’s really true. Your youth betrays you in nearly every comment. And you don’t act like an adult on this website, you sling insults until someone comes back at you, and then you try to sound smart by using words like ‘assiduously’, when really you just look like a pretentious jackass.

I think I’m done now, nothing else worth responding to. You make my day TX, seriously. Hilarious, wait since its you I should use a better word… Scintillating? Nah that doesn’t quite do it… Uproarious!

37. punkster says:

Nothing could be finer

Than to be a Montrealer

In the morrr-or-or-ning.

***Subbang!!!***

38. GrimJim says:

Don might give Pouliot props ’cause then he can point to it as proof he’s not prejudice against “those french-guys and europeans and all that…” but I bet he won’t say jack-squat about Subban’s hit (Don’ll never show up a Bruin and he’ll never contradict himself unless so many years have gone by that most people forgot his original statement). And I’ll bet if he does mention Pouliot, he mess up his name somehow just to undercut whatever compliment he gives.

Now that I think about it, if Don does mention the Subban hit he’ll either goof out on it by complaining about Subban turning his back to give the hit (and he’ll tell all the kiddies out in TV land “never turn your back, that’s not how it’s done properly.”) or he’ll say Subban left his feet but he won’t run the clip which shows the opposite.

39. DrewCareyPriceIsRight says:

I guess both our avatars should carry the following warning: “may cause nausea or dizziness if looked at for extended periods of time”

40. Malreg says:

I never knew the trick until I saw my friend do it a few months ago, and it’s revolutionized the way I browse the internet now!

Even when I’m browsing a forum like HFboards.  I’ll open the forum, 3rd click on all the threads I want to read, and then once I’m done finding everything I read them.  So much quicker then clicking, waiting for it to load, going back to the Forum, clicking on the next thread…

41. TripleX says:

Waaaaaaaah.  Typical internet tough guy, get challenged and you get sooooo defensive.

The only thing apparent is your inability to counter the validity of my comments when put in proper “context”.

The fact you get so outraged at anyone questioning your social life indicates it is even more dismal than I imagined.

I do act like someone older than my chronological age and I am told that almost daily.  i have assiduously avoided responding to comments by yourself, Joeybarrie, Stormman and Punkster for just that reason.  But even the most “adult” individual can take only so much of the schoolyard baiting.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

42. J Haul says:

Great suggestion. I actually use a laptop touchpad primarily, but I’ll remember this for when I’m using a mouse. Thanks.

That’s actually got me thinking now… perhaps I can program a hot corner to “open link in new tab”!

43. DearyLeary says:

You give Don too much credit.  Way too much credit.

44. Malreg says:

I agree that it is very handy when a link automatically opens in a new tab, but instead of right clicking on the link and clicking “Open link in new tab”, all you have to do is third-clic (push down on the scroll button of your mouse) a link and it’ll automatically open in a new tab, and you can just keep browsing the current site that you’re on.

45. GrimJim says:

“Foolish” adj. resulting from or showing a lack of sense; ill-considered; unwise; lacking forethought or caution

“bias” noun. a particular tendancy or inclination especially one that prevents unprejudiced consideration of a question; prejudice

I’m pretty sure my English professors would tell me that saying someone’s actions are motivated by prejudiced, and lacks sense are generally considered insults. Explain to me how saying ‘those are the actions of a prejudiced, unwise person’ is not an insult of that person.

46. JohnBellyful says:

BTW, your points were valid