Audio: Metro should play; Caps start Varly

AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Travis Moen | Hal Gill | Bruce Boudreau

Glen Metropolit, who suffered a separated shoulder on March 27 and was expected to miss up to 8 weeks of action, is expected to play in Game 3 for the Canadiens on Monday night. He has been cleared by team doctor David Mulder, and his participation is said to be a game-time decision by coach Jacques Martin.

Sergei Kostitsyn seems likely to be a healthy scratch for Montreal, while Jaroslav Halak will be between the Habs pipes. Halak will face Semyon Varlamov in the Washington net.

1. Off-side says:

could be…

2. jimmy shaker says:

I really want to see a clip of this…..someone on here said it is because the way he holds the water bottle, that it shakes or he shakes.  Anyway can we use Ovi’s words as bulletin board material?  “Halak’s nervous”, “I destroyed MAB because everyone knows he’s not a strong guy”, and “The pressure is on them”  Can the media drum up something, like the way they made a circus out of Pleks comments?  But I’m excited for tonight, I’m feeling confident and think Jaro is going to bounce back and the boys will get it done on the PP and on the PK.  Wish I was in the city today to feel the buzz.

3. andrewberkshire says:

Exactly what I was saying! You get me matmacat, you get me.

4. matmacat says:

Basically… SK can score a game winning goal, or make a game winning play. That’s why we need him.

5. jennifer1984 says:

but just because we dont see his emotion, doesnt mean its not there.
    Doesnt mean it doesnt come through in the dressing room.

maybe SK did do something wrong, but all year it seems he gets benched for no reason, except the fact that JM has it in for him

6. Storm Man says:

Im ok now 😉

7. jennifer1984 says:

worse than Lapierre?

Highly doubt it.
    And if AK gets all shaken up about this, that means we’re down 2 players!
    i’m all for metro coming back, dont get me wrong. i think JM just sat the wrong guy, thats all

8. KenD29 says:

Maybe so re darce, but at least the guy gives you 100%! SK ?? And how many goals has he had this series?!

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

9. habbifier says:

Martin satisfies the essential hunger, but leaves us looking mighty skinny.

10. andrewberkshire says:

After not calling Poti for literally pushing Halak out of the net, anything goes it seems.

11. habbifier says:

Another problem that likely wouldn’t exsist with Guy Boucher at the helm.

Jacques Martin is the greatest assitant coach to ever be head coach in the NHL. Unfortunate.

12. SeriousFan09 says:

Pyatt’s a 4th-liner at best, SK can fly with Moore and Moen and be effective with them.

Darche is a Career AHL player, 33 years old with no future on this team, he’s been a nice fill-in while we struggled with injury but he is not going to be part of any reason we win a Cup. Sergei has 10x the ability and upside of Darche if developed properly and not treated like a leper like JM uses him. He’s taken all the hard work Boucher spent working with Sergei in Hamilton and flushing it down the toilet. He also gave away a goal on Saturday that helped cost us the game.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

13. Mikey_39 says:

7 goals in 47 games.  And for the most of the games he’s been playing on a third/4th line, and a lot of those games JM has decided to bench him for well…no good reason.  Also, Sergei is a playmaker not a goal scorer.  He needs to play with people who can put the puck in the net.

14. king ddd says:

dude i bet they would even allow ovechkin smack jaro’s head ballard style to score a goal and the..

.::moen for captain::.

15. andrewberkshire says:

Ok, as a correction, all I have to say without ranting like a lunatic.

16. king ddd says:

martin.. he simply hates sk imo.. hes got a decent playoffs so far.

.::moen for captain::.

17. Psycho29 says:

Good…I am glad Sergei is sitting. He has not shown me anything this year. SEVEN goals and that’s it?

I’d rather see Pyatt or Darche in there, at least they get involved it the play and show some heart.

18. Say Ash says:

what he said

19. SeriousFan09 says:

Darche is not a playoff forward, he is outmatched by the speed of it and can’t compensate, you can directly hang a goal on his head from last game that would’ve kept us ahead. Sergei should easily play ahead of him but no, JM has to enact his vendetta.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

20. Shawn S says:

Well I’d prefer Darche or Maxim sit over Sergei, I like the fact we have 5 centres playing now. We seem to be getting tossed out of the circle every faceoff, at least we’ll have a bit more flexibility depending on how JM shakes up the 3rd and 4th line.

21. Chris Aung-Thwin says:

really? is that it, andrew? i’m sure deep down you’d like to say more about that topic…

22. joeybarrie says:

Now we see if Halak is REALLY our #1 guy. He has a chance to prove he can do it. I really hope he makes the difference. However if he simply plays well, I hope we wont jump all over him. BUT MAN I WANT TO TAKE THIS GAME……………..

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

23. SeriousFan09 says:

I’d say JM has the memory of an elephant, but at least elephants get ticked off once in a while and make some noise.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

24. Chris Aung-Thwin says:

Tim – I think he means he’s happy to see this type of dedication from UFA Metro, as opposed to last year when Tanguay missed a lot of time with a bummed shoulder.

25. Off-side says:

Varly played his first NHL game in Montreal on December 12, 2008, stopping 31
    of 32 shots, becoming the first goalie to win his debut in Montreal in
    more than 30 years. Before this past Saturday’s game, Varly had two starts against
    the Habs and won both.  I would be a little worried if he’s in nets tonight.

26. Chris Aung-Thwin says:

Especially if SK is driving him to the Bell Centre 😛

27. ooder says:

oh yes.. darche that scoring machine…

btw Darche is directly responsible for one of the goals last night with his week turnover in our zone

i think JM has a very long memory and will not forgive sk74 very easily for what happened at the beginning of the season

“I like what I’m seeing right now,” assessed Markov. “We’re not perfect, but we’re trying to be.”

28. Bill J says:

As Promised Shaker- while I am a bit shocked, and remember I told you about halak’s shaking 😉  apparently Ovy saw it too …

GO HALAK GO! – I hope the team can give him more support.

29. Storm Man says:

Ovie called out Jaro are you sure maybe he was asking him where to get some good poutine 🙂

30. KenD29 says:

True! Take your pick…

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

31. Bugs says:

“No short leash”, my butt.

We want Theo!

Superfluously redundant, I remain

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant-Director of St-Habbie’s Hospital for the Blind, Head Physician of Neuroflannelogy Unit, and Occupational Therapist in Habsbros Emergency Ward:

32. shootdapuck says:

For that matter seen much of Yapierre in front of the net, scoring or hitting?

Don’t think so!

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3”

33. Storm Man says:

Im sorry bud but if Jaro does not find his glove and we go down by two or more time to pull him.

34. joeybarrie says:

WOW, I thought Boudreau was going with Theodore. I thought that that was his guy??? I thought he would rather have Theo than Miller or Brodeur???  I thought he said “id rather go withour guy, he is 20-0 in his last 20 games”???

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

35. shootdapuck says:

SK also has seen more PK time!

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3”

36. Storm Man says:

That would be a dream come true to see JM gone

37. KenD29 says:

What has SK done so far this series or during the regular season for that matter?!
    He doesn’t score many goals, he doesn’t hit, he doesn’t go to the front of the net. At least with Pyatt, Darche and Met, you get guys with some heart. Maybe not allot of talent, but heart willing to go to the corners or drive the net.

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

38. Storm Man says:

Are you high?

39. shootdapuck says:

Yapierre still in is rediculous!

The Caps don’t respond well to gum flapping and then hiding!

Looks like JM didn’t get the green light from Boivin’s political wing aka “L’antichambre” to yank him.

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3”

40. Off-side says:

I’m not sure that sitting Sergei is best, but I’m sure the decision to sit him on the part of JM is not a personal one.  Remember.  We never see JM being emotional.  I highly doubt his decision is based on emotions or a personal vendetta.  I think his agenda in this case is ruled more with logic.

41. lavie says:

In October, I want to see SK as a Hab, JM as a Habs’ ex-coach.

42. PrimeTime says:

I have been accused my some of being a Price “fanboy” and such and I
    have on occassion used that accusation to have some fun to poke back
    this year (Halaka) but truth be told, I couldn’t care less who’s name is
    on the jersery as long in any position as long they play with pride and
    respect. I witnessed many Goalies come and go over the years beginning
    with the Plante unlike many here who began to watch our Habs when Roy
    was King. Saying that, I think Jaro deserves and will start tonight.
    However, a couple of thoughts come to mind.

1. Jaro didn’t finish
    the season strong but he started Game 1 and made key saves throughout.
    The shot totals, as is usually the case with WAS, were high but many
    were routine. As long as you can control the rebound and your D is in
    position to clear you limit the scoring opportunities. Our D game
    limited time and space, clogged passing lanes, and WAS began missing the
    net. Jaro played well early and the Team took over the game for a win.

In Game 2, much of the same from the 2nd half of game 1 continued until
    the 3rd period. In desperation, WAS put on a full frontal push for
    offense at the risk of odd man rushed against. This was the 1st real
    test for Jaro this series and he flubbed on 3 goals…the OV poke
    between his legs (puck never should have touch ice) and the 2 glove save
    misses from 30′ out. As in 90% of goals against you can look at the D
    to blame as well as was the case with backing in on both the final game
    tying goal and the OT winner.

3. Can Jaro bounce back tonight? It
    will be a good test of his mental strength and I hope he ciomes through
    with flying colours. The team should be high as a kite in the 1st 10
    minutes and come out blazzing putting the pressure back on the the
    weaker WAS D and Goalie(s) and it needs to continue throughout the game.
    Jaro as always needs to make the key saves until we win back the battle
    for momentum. If he doesn’t then he needs to go just as Theo was in
    game 2. It’s not a knock on Jaro but this team is bigger than one player.
    As has been stated by Martin and Co. both Goalies are capable and IMO a
    loss tonight will be the 1st of the finishing nails needed by WAS take
    this series.

My last point is the D. OV told Boudreau to switch
    his playing wing and it worked. Unless Spacek can play both sides, JM
    needs to adjust his D lines to reduce the impact OV has on the game.
    Hammer couldn’t do it. Fearless prediction of the day is WAS goes as OV
    does. 1 goal and 3 assists in Game 2 after being held off the
    scoresheet the 1st game tells the whole story. Perhaps a 4-1 lead
    un-focused our players a bit but they can’t let up on this guy for 1
    shift because we haven’t anywhere near the firepower WAS has probably
    won’t have the luxury of scoring on our 1st 2 shots.

It may be
    over-simplifying the game, but OV is the game. Reduce his impact and
    have a chance to win…if not GAME OVER no matter who is nets.

43. Storm Man says:

The way I see it this man has to go I have never been happy with JM as the coach of this team. With that said #52 does give us some size but that is all

44. Norcal Habsfan says:

Don’t agree. SK has been strong. If anybody I would pick Pyatt and only because of his lack of experience. But I’m sure there’s much that JM sees that we don’t. Go HABS!

I don’t live in Montreal but I hope you all will still be razzing Jose even if he is on  the bench. Let Ovie hear it as well. I didn’t like him callin out Jaro yesterday.. that little O-bi***kin.

45. JVF says:

Great for Metro, but what did SK74 do to be in JM’s doghouse? Does he feel the need to have 5 centers because we’ve been having such a hard time winning faceoffs?

I wish he’d explain his rationale… SK74 is smart on his skates, has good wheels, can shoot, pass and play defense — What more does he want from the kid?

I hope Sergeï doesn’t bolt, because he’s going to be a very, very good player in the near future.

46. lavie says:

Sitting SK is JM’s full-time logic.

Happy to see a Sens fan has vision on Habs.

47. kmachabs27 says:

SK hasnt shown anything, hes afraid of his own shadow and doesnt want the puck, he is currently the worst player on this team, the way he is playing is embarrassing. I watched him everytime he was on the ice and i do not blame JM for sitting him, its crunch time.

48. ShaunT says:

Sergei should be playing while Darche sits. JM needs to put his personal problems with Sergei aside and play the players that gives the team the best chance to win. OVIE YOU’RE SHAKIN!!!!!!

49. jimmy shaker says:

Thought it would be Darche for Metro, but I don’t mind SK (hasn’t really done much, or that line to tell the truth)….I think Metro will have a big impact on the game and on the PP.  I think we score often on the PP tonight and metro and MAB are the big weapons.  Jaro will bounce back, the ice will be a lot better and we will have last change so that will help us out large.  Varlamov is going to play, but if we just get traffic in front of him we will be fine.  IF, IF, IF….I repeat IF Jaro struggles tonight, Price will get the call on Wednesday for sure.  And remember I’m the President of the Jaro fan club, so I’ve been told.

50. Storm Man says:

Have a bad feeling AK does not show up for this game

51. SensFanSpezza says:

Good for Metro, but I don’t see the logic in sitting Kostitsyn.  Darche would have been my choice, I think.  Even though the guy has a lot of heart, he doesn’t have the skillset Kostitsyn has.  Weird coaching decision there.  Unless it’s personal.  If that’s the case, Martin should be fired.

52. Say Ash says:

This is what I wanna see from UFAs, Tanguay!

53. CERF says:

I just dont get it.. he promotes  #52 when gomer was in the box and then he goes and turn it over which leads to a goal.. yet #52 is still sitting nicely with the big boys.. while #74 gets to view from the press box..

god this man drives me nuts

54. Storm Man says:

I think we will know if he is 100 percent when Ovie and the Caps run him a few times, If the doctors say he is 100 percent ready to roll, all aboard the metro

55. Chris Aung-Thwin says:

SK74 sits? 5 centers?
    Has Lapierre been that much more awesome than SK?

No way he’s back next year.

I’m glad Metro’s back. He pots one in the 2nd, on the PP.

We take the lead, 2-1, and never look back.

56. Off-side says:

Gasp!  I really hope and pray he is safe on the ice.  Go Metro, Go!

57. Storm Man says:

JM thinks he is God

58. CERF says:

59. nick says:

Sergei sits ?! Haha… Bravo JM. Bravo.