Audio: Metro game-time decision for Game 3

AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Michael Cammalleri | Brian Gionta | Scott Gomez | More Gomez (listener discretion advised for first 10 seconds)

Canadiens centreman Glen Metropolit gives assistant coach Pierre Groulx a push on Bell Centre ice this afternoon.
Allen McInnis, Gazette

Canadiens centreman Glen Metropolit was working up a good sweat this afternoon at the Bell Centre while he was doing some heavy on-ice work, suggesting he might be back in the lineup this week.

Head coach Jacques Martin says that Metro, lost to the team with a shoulder separation since March 27, will be a game-time decision for Game 3 Monday night. Skating with defenceman Ryan O’Byrne and forward Ben Maxwell, Metro was taking plenty of contact and doing a lot of heavy pushing work. He consulted at the bench with Habs doctor David Mulder, no doubt giving himself the green light. Now, we’ll see if the good doctor will do likewise.

The Canadiens held a team meeting followed by off-ice workouts. The Washington Capitals practised this morning in Arlington, Va. They’ll be flying into Montreal this evening on the eve of Monday’s third game in the teams’ Eastern Conference quarterfinal, the series tied 1-1 after Saturday’s 6-5 overtime win for the Capitals.

1. Bob Barker says:

I don’t have a problem with Backstrom’s OT winner after watching it several times. Backstrom did several good things to make that shot difficult to stop. Carlson’s on the other hand is just Halak missing it. There was a slight screen but it wasn’t really a laser shot. That save needs to be made to win playoff games.

2. Tis Himself says:

I agree with you. He should never have been hired in the first place. I groaned when he got the job.

3. Bugs says:

Especially not if you disagree with it, right, Bill?

That’s how to promote discussion on a forum, right?

(snort)

Ridiculously overhyped, call me

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant-Director of St-Habbie’s Hospital for the Blind, Head Physician of Neuroflannelogy Unit, and Occupational Therapist in Habsbros Emergency Ward: http://habsbros.blogspot.com/

4. MontrealAtheist says:

Whatever happens during these play-offs, I hope we can get rid of JM afterwards and get someone like Boudreau who doesn’t hesitate to make the necessary decisions without trying to sugarcoat things.

All that poor coaching by JM has Gainey’s signature written all over it and given that it was Gainey himself who hand-picked JM it’s not surprising.

5. Favorite Son says:

Markov plays better with Bergeron. All the experts agree. Bergeron is doing well defensively. Nothing horrible from him.

No need to mess with the lineup right now.

And why are you such a douche? It boggles my mind why you chose to be a jerk over simply responding to the post. Are you a frustrated person? Are you angry?

You’ll find your way one day…

6. sailor2963 says:

That would neither be helpful nor accurate.  The truth is the Habs can beat this Caps team, they have exposed their weaknesses.  What JM needs to say is that the players have to play a 60 minute game, when this team plays for 60 minutes they can compete with anyone.  We have seen that.  The Bell Centre should be rocking tomorrow and the team should feed off that positive energy.

7. SmartDog says:

I agree about Ovi.  I have no respect for the guy.  He’s a real knob.  I wouldn’t even want him in a Habs jersey. Seriously.

About the Halak-Price thing… I agree with you there too actually.  I didn’t mean promising Halak game 4, but I’d tell him to be ready. If Price stones the Caps… Halak would know what’s coming and he’d wait (like he has and can). The point I was making was don’t tell him he’s gone, just tell him to sit and be ready to come back.

————————————————————-
    Not signing or trading Pleks = yet another missed opportunity.

8. adam76 says:

Incompetent officiating hurt the Habs – it did not cost the habs the game.

Leaf fans blame the refs for losses.  We are better then that.

9. habsguy says:

Yo dude,  go to tsn and look at the replay of the game,  tell me if at the 138  mark if the cap is in the blue paint and stopping Halak from coming out to cut down the angle…then go to the 148 mark and tell me the hab who pused Poti into halak???….On OV’s goal the ref is supposed to blow the whistle when he loses sight of the puck,  did he???….Pouliet didn’t know the net off the caps did,  I always thought that was a goal?????….Ovey punched gionta any call on that one!!!!….Cammi for slashing,  come on,  Gill for iterwhatever, come on..

10. MontrealAtheist says:

We came out with a split, and that is more than most people gave them.”

It’s not that simple … Had we been outplayed and shot down 4-0 I think people wouldn’t be quite as hard on us. However, relinquishing a 4-1 lead and turning it into a 5-6 OT loss in only 22 minutes, along with some questionable (non) calls and poor coaching decisions by JM (timeout anyone?), is not easy to forget. The way things are, the Caps have the momentum and are back in the driver’s seat.

11. adam76 says:

It happens for sure does it?  Sure as the drug companies have a cure for cancer, 911 was an inside job and the moon landing was shot on a sound stage in Hollywood.

Even if it was “off the record” – the risks GREATLY outweigh the payout.  Sure the NHL, in theory – would get more marketing and press by having the Capitals in longer – but as HabFanSince72  pointed out – if these “off the record” favours were ever discovered – there would be legal and criminal prosecution.

A scandal like you are suggesting would destroy the league.  Now ask yourself, would ANYONE in Garrys position risk legal consequences an the destruction of the league for a .25 share increase on NBC in the second round?  logically – the answer is no.

12. Bugs says:

1) 2nd stringer to Theo???

BWAAAA-haha-HAAAAA!

Ok, your argument just crumbled, Bill. …second stringer to theo..,that’s funny.

2) My “poster-boy” is The Priceberg. Sadly, but pragmatically, I must admit that Halak has been better than him for AT LEAST the last two years, unquestionably better than him THIS year to the point that the playoffs are his. That being said, I recognize that he won’t win’em all. Like Luongo, Brodeur, Miller, you know, those guys? They dropped a few important ones too but they return the net.

Unless they’re completely rattled and a guy who’s been sitting on the bench for three weeks becomes a better option for victory. Personally, I don’t see that in this case.

Sorry if that embarrasses me.

Ridiculously overhyped, call me

13. spoonfullofjelly says:

Look none of the goals were weak. And Halak should continue to start. However, he let in 6 goals. Let’s not forget this. Let’s not also forgot what I’ve heard here time and time again, your goalie needs to be your best player. He wasn’t.

14. downeast hab says:

What needs to happen whwn they start running or pushing the goalie back in the net, the defensemen need to give them a four finger glove punch right betwwen the eyes to help improve there vision.

15. terrygain says:

No, that’s why 20 should have been playing with 79. Do you have trouble with reading comprehension?

16. terrygain says:

Barking up the wrong tree. The refs bread is buttered by doing their jobs competently. They made mistakes but they are working against themselves if they are not calling it as they see it.

17. Tis Himself says:

Knocking the net off its pins twice and not getting penalized was ridiculous, especially the second time. The broken-stick calls have to be revisited as well. I would put the odd guy out with a defective twig just to draw one, especially if we are already on the power play. Skating 5-on-4, it’s worth the risk.

18. Zepphead says:

If I were Jacques Martin in the meeting, I wouldn’t give my team any compliments from last night. I’d be mad and instead of saying “Look at the positive side: we won 1/2″ I would say “We should’ve taken both and you’re all bums”.

19. Bugs says:

Just makin sure. Symbolic logic says your message is: “Bugs is overhyped and so should be ignored.”

Is that your position, Bill? That’s how you approach discusson?

Just makin sure.

Ridiculously overhyped, call me

20. Favorite Son says:

Did you expect Markov or Bergeron to fight?

21. deuce6 says:

What bothers me and worries me about him was that after the Caps starting running him, he started to play deeper in his net..He stopped challenging shooters and the Caps made him look small..He needs to be out of the blue ice challlenging those shots..He was deep on both..

————– BRING THE JETS BACK TO WINNIPEG!!

22. Bill J says:

Hey Gringo!

The 2nd stringer on the Caps side – He did alright right Genius ?

I mean he DID win – didn’t he ?

Despite Theo going on a great streak heading into the playoffs…

Oh wait… Yeah your “Poster boy” has been hot himself eh ?  4 Losses in 5 games ?  4 of the BIGGEST losses this season !!!

3 to try and get a spot in the playoffs…. and now another loss that would have put the Habs up 2-0.

DO NOT CARRY ON VARMINT, in fact walk away from the computer NOW before you embarrass yourself further!

23. I_SAY_FIGHT says:

As Logical as your argument is, you left emotion out of the equation. Regarding SmartDog Issue No.4, As much as I agree that it’s Prices’ time to shine the Bell Center will cause this team to lose with their irational Booing.
    However, guaranteeing Halak a start in game 4 is illogical because you failed to see the possible outcomes of price getting his first shut-out (he tends to bring his A-game to the playoffs, last year the team was horrible in the playoffs), or beating the Caps by a 2 goal or greater margin OR beating them without going into overtime. I could continue but I will assume by the pattern that you will get the point.
    Regarding OV – He’s a dirty player (well all the caps are) and I’m finding myself becoming more and more agitatied with him as the games go by. The Refs aren’t doing their jobs and it’s about time Mad Max And O’B get to hit OV (i wouldn’t wish this on too many people) but I would love an Andy Sutton type hit given to OV. Clean and Lethal.
    Go Habs Go!!!!
    ———–
    ”Playing goal is like being shot at.” – Jacques Plante

24. Favorite Son says:

It’s not that simple. You can’t just forget a game like that. It stings for the Habs and it woke up the Caps.

Yes it’s 1-1 but it’s advantage Washington going into game 3. They have the momentum and surely the loss was de-moralizing for the Canadiens.

What’s good is that we know that we can play with “la creme de la creme”. It’s up to the Habs to come out and play the same way on Monday with solid goaltending from Halak and tighter defense. Plus, we also know we can score on either Theo or Varlamov.

25. Bugs says:

Final analysis?

Ridiculously overhyped, call me

26. Tis Himself says:

The NHL is still a very long way from FIFA, but it is moving in that direction. I don’t think the officiating is intentionally biased, but it has been pretty miserable all season long. Even last night’s extended goal review was ridiculous. Whether the Habs scored on the first play was irrelevant after they scored on the following one. Was it really that important to have an extended review to put time back on the clock?

27. rwparent says:

Fair enough – but JM does not seem to see it that way. Wonder what it will take to reverse his opinion?

28. terrygain says:

His biggest mistake was having 13 on the ice while trying to protect a lead in the last 2 minutes.

29. Bugs says:

But since today is Sunday, you’re back to task.

And putting in the 2nd stringer who hasn’t played in almost three weeks and whose Achilles Heel just HAPPENS to be the VERY thing you accuse Halak of NEVER showing, that is, “not being used to the pressure”, is the task set before you, one you conveniently avoid.

Yet you quickly side with mockery against me… Your priorities are now clear to me. Shan’t bother you any further.

Carry on, Pup.

Ridiculously overhyped, call me

30. rwparent says:

I agree. He keeps his focus.

Halak is doing what you should expect from a legit starter. Standing up when he should be up, squaring up to shooters, playing the posts tight, pushing off on the correct leg..etc.

His fundamentals are rock solid. Those shots were going in on most goalies – that is reality.

31. Bill J says:

Seems to me I did.

;)

32. terrygain says:

It’s not minor. We need 20′s  size. We lost 91 for 5 minutes b/c he had to fight Poti, a defenceman. 79 and 47 were on the ice watching.

33. Bill J says:

I definitely agree.  I see what he brings to the table & it aint much.

I just wish his signature was a disclaimer stating that his opinion is purely for humor purposes and no-one should believe anything he says.