Audio: Martin shakes things up

AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Brian Gionta | Alex Auld | Benoit Pouliot

Coach Jacques Martin shook things up at practice today, shuffling his forward lines and defensive pairings.

Travis Moen replaced Benoit Pouliot on one of the top lines with Scott Gomez and Brian Gionta while Pouliot lined up with Dustin Boyd and Tom Pyatt. The third line has Jeff Halpern between Maxim Lapierre and Lars Eller.

Roman Hamrlik and Jaroslav Spacek are back together on defence while P.K. Subban was paired with Alexandre Picard. Josh Gorges and Hal Gill remain together while Ryan O’Byrne was with Andrei Markov.

Ian, Timo spends all his time on one dimensional posts so you’re over his head with that one.

2. TripleX says:

Didn’t Moen play the fewest minutes of all the forwards?  Now he is on the second line?  I like the dude but he is NOT a top six forward.  Ellar has not looked out of place in any of the games I have seen.  JM just will not give a young player ( with the exception of Laps and PK ) a decent chance to prove themselves.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

You forgot the other chef d’oeuvres >>

Line Combos: An HIO perspective

The Halak/Price Controversy: Then, Now and Future Musings

Quips an Quirks: Best posts of Habs Inside Out, featuring the HIO alumni

4. Bob_Sacamano says:

Way to early to demote Pouliot. How is he going to get his confidence back playing with Pyatt and Boyd? Martin should at least pair him with Eller and Lapierre.

5. savethepuck says:

Are you basing Markov back on Saturday on the unofficial word that was posted in the last couple of days, or have you heard something new?  I can’t wait for him to come back. Helps our PP and solidifies our D

Can not spend all your money on a one dimensional guy Timo

7. TommyB says:

Could it be that Boucher got his guys’ attention during the first break?  He looked pretty pissed if you ask me, as he was leaving the bench.  Could it be that he made some adjustments?  You want to play run and gun with an offensive team such as the Lightning, or do you think you should be defensively responsible first?  Add the penalty factor into the equation, and then tell me again JM had them “sitting back”.  They weren’t sitting back, they were hanging on for their lives after the first period.  It’s great to have a good penalty killing team, but I suggest it’s better not to take those penalties.  Just a thought.

8. andrewberkshire says:

I’m not sure exactly why O’Byrne, who played well after his one dumb penalty that cost us nothing, and Pouliot, who just played solid last night, but didn’t hit the scoresheet, are being punished when the real reason for the loss is the ineptness of the coach. Maybe he should demote himself and let Muller take over for a night.

9. Max_a_million says:

I agree.  You know P.K. is pretty rugged, and is right in the oppositions face.  He is making a difference in our team toughness for sure.  Hammer is underrated for his physicality, but he isn’t a prospect.

10. HabFanSince72 says:

He’s not “looking for a scapegoat”, he’s benching a player who he feels isn’t up to scratch.

It’s hard to see beneath your loser persona, but you actually don’t understand hockey very much.

11. kirkiswork says:

It’s just practise, things will be back the way they were come game time.

Timo, Pouliot cannot play with those two on the top line, does not work.

If Martin stayed with him there you and I would be P Off. I like moen, lets see what he can do there. Surely no worse.

The 3rd line just might get a lot more playing time if Lapierre can stay out of the box.

13. Max_a_million says:

I can’t remember the Moen with Gomez and Gionta line ever working.  Seems like putting Eller here might be a good idea.  Not crazy about how the defensive lines are being put together either, evidently I like O’Byrne more than JM does.

”Last season we couldn’t win at home and we were losing on the road. My failure was that I couldn’t think of any place else to play.” – Harry Neale

There is always MAB.

15. SeriousFan09 says:

Sanford, Mayer, Ramo, Similia and Delmas on the goaltending chart, re-loading the depth as is necessary.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

16. scrowe21 says:

Yeah I dont understand that either, atleast he’s been trying.

———-

17. rocketsglare says:

You think that if the top line where playing well that JM would substitute Moen for Pouliot? Of course not.

Even Gionta said that their line was not playing well and needed to pick up their play. This shake up has

nothing to do with the next opponent but is a wake up call for Gionta, Gomez, and Pouliot to get going.

18. SeriousFan09 says:

Same reason OB-Gill skated together in yesterday’s morning practice, testing pairs and sending messages. Perhaps JM wants Picard to give Subban some advice about being a little calmer and simpler on the ice.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.