Audio: Martin shakes things up

AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Brian Gionta | Alex Auld | Benoit Pouliot

Coach Jacques Martin shook things up at practice today, shuffling his forward lines and defensive pairings.

Travis Moen replaced Benoit Pouliot on one of the top lines with Scott Gomez and Brian Gionta while Pouliot lined up with Dustin Boyd and Tom Pyatt. The third line has Jeff Halpern between Maxim Lapierre and Lars Eller.

Roman Hamrlik and Jaroslav Spacek are back together on defence while P.K. Subban was paired with Alexandre Picard. Josh Gorges and Hal Gill remain together while Ryan O’Byrne was with Andrei Markov.

1. wotever says:

Uh.  Like Price and the fans?

It’s just a game.

2. db says:

Heh i remember a lot of praise going to Martin for out-adapting Boudreau that series..

3. db says:

I wouldnt say Laps is young, he’s just cheap… it seems that the Habs can’t demote anyone making a larger salary… Please don’t start Hammer with Spacecadet.

Not smarter, just a possibility as they put a game plan together..

5. ZepFan2 says:

Yeaaaah…what were those winning numbers for lotto max again?

————————————————————————–

“Wonder how tomorrow could ever follow today.”

6. habs youngtimer says:

Pouliot will NOT score another goal in the NHL!

7. rocketsglare says:

Ian, so does that mean that with every opponent JM is going to shake up his lines even if they are

playing well just to match theirs? To me that would never allow for our own lines to ever gel much

less have continuity and consistency. IMO, these shake ups are JM’s way of saying “let’s get going”.

8. andrewberkshire says:

All I want to see from Martin is a game where he lets the team play instead of forcing them to play in a defensive shell, waiting for the other team to capitalize. We can`t survive an 82 game season playing like we did against Washington. Other coaches adapt.

9. andrewberkshire says:

Chemistry looked fine in the 1st period Ian. The only forward who looked off was Gomez.

Are you saying I should be HumbleHabits?

11. TomNickle says:

They were in fact the first two goals we’ve given up when shorthanded this season.

Without Markov, there seems to be no backdoor passing on the powerplay.  Big problem.

12. notbigbird says:

Thanks for that perspective, Ian. You’re definitely smarter that I am.

A different style of team to face on Saturday night. We are just matching up lines for a different opponent.

14. TomNickle says:

I’ve been in that situation.

I worked in a financial services office in my early twenties and repeated a mistake over and over again for about a half of a year.  It was an administrative mistake, so a simple mistake.  I was told that if I didn’t correct it my career in that organization would be over.  I corrected it and saw two promotions in a calender year.

O’Byrne has got to stop to silly mistakes or he will find himself in the AHL or buried on another team’s depth chart.

His demotion, if it comes, is fair.

My boss at the time by the way was a recently divorced woman who had enough of a hate on for men that I was the last man to ever work for her.

15. Storm Man says:

So is this to mean Martin is going to coach better or is this his recipe for his martini?

Not a matter of punishment Andrew, we have to find chemistry and its not there.

He is not a rookie, he is a pro. He has had two years to get his confidence. Time to stop making excuses for him.

18. notbigbird says:

The Moen thing again? Well I guess it works every now and then for maybe one game. At that point JM gets called a genius. After that, not so much.