Audio: Martin shakes things up

AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Brian Gionta | Alex Auld | Benoit Pouliot

Coach Jacques Martin shook things up at practice today, shuffling his forward lines and defensive pairings.

Travis Moen replaced Benoit Pouliot on one of the top lines with Scott Gomez and Brian Gionta while Pouliot lined up with Dustin Boyd and Tom Pyatt. The third line has Jeff Halpern between Maxim Lapierre and Lars Eller.

Roman Hamrlik and Jaroslav Spacek are back together on defence while P.K. Subban was paired with Alexandre Picard. Josh Gorges and Hal Gill remain together while Ryan O’Byrne was with Andrei Markov.

Ian – O’Byrne sure is a bit of a puzzler.  He rarely gets an extended opportunity to improve his game the way some other young Habs do.  At the same time, you wonder if he has the skill set to become a solid NHLer.  He seems to continually repeat the same mistakes over and over again.

I trust the coaching staff know what they are doing with this guy, because he is the only real defensive prospect we have that has any real size with the ability to dole out hits and clear the front of the net.  Tinordi is the only other name that comes to mind and he’s at least four years away from regular NHL employment.

Not sure Moen would know what to do with Gomez’s end to end skating… although nobody seems to either

3. andrewberkshire says:

We have that tenacity, it showed in the first period last night. Unfortunately we have a coach who would rather see the team sit back with a slim lead and wait for the other team to score.

4. TommyB says:

No kidding, Chuck.  I’ve been coming to this site since it’s beginning and one of the main topics of criticism has been the coaching.  Doesn’t seem to matter who it is doing the coaching.  When the Habs lose, there are plenty of knowledgable coaches here on HIO to point out the coach’s inabilities, or poor judgement.  I want to read the book on coaching being compiled by the HIO armchair coaches.

Why else would they be practising together.?

I am not sure of that Tom. But the penalty kill is our best special teams play. Sure be nice if we put a power play together.

7. Chuck says:

<sarcasm>

Tommy, you mean that the guy that coached us into the 3rd round last year might actually be.. coaching? Say it isn’t so!

</sarcasm>

8. SeriousFan09 says:

I highly doubt that, Subban has rope with the team for his talents and JM will give him opportunities and will be able to limit him when he gets too aggressive with the option of using Markov.

Subban and Markov need to be on the team together, playing so Markov can mentor the kid in the style of the NHL skating defencemen.

9. Chips says:

Yea, not so sure about Moen with Gio and Gomer!! I thought OB played pretty decent (except for his second delay of game call of the year!!!), was physical and pretty well positioned. I thought Pouliot has actually been playing pretty decent too and has been really trying hard. He really needs to pot a couple so he can loosen up the grip on his stick a bit, then he might get a bunch in the mesh. He’s had some terrific opportunities so far and is just totally snake bitten!!

25 in 2011

10. TommyB says:

Geez, I don’t know.  I think a wake-up call is a bit of a stretch at this very early part of the season.  Might have more to do with the next opponent, and their style of play.  Moen would be expected to create a little more room for his smaller linemates, and get in Miller’s doorway.  Get the opposition looking around for a big body crashing into them takes some of the attention away from Gomez and Gionta.

I think Picard and PK are going to sit on Saturday when Markov comes back.!!!!

12. Chuck says:

Benny: Please go to the net, and stand there. You got a ice-level view or Ryan Malone doing it last night… now take a page out of his textbook and do it.

Rhino: hit someone. Hard. Get the blood lust in ya, kid. Even if it means a few games’ suspension. It’ll feel good to hear someone’s bones break. Trust me. And I’ll foot your salary while you’re out.

13. joeybarrie says:

I saw nothing but lucky Tampa goals last night.

Pouliot was very unlucky last night. I agree he has to turn it up, but last night he couldn’t buy a goal. He has 2 assists and is one point short of being tied for the team scoring lead….  Let’s give our guys a few more games to see what they can achieve individually. His line hasn’t been effective either, so its not only on him.

If you would rather a coach with less than 2 years of professional experience than one with the most experience than its your loss. So far Boucher has beaten the Thrashers and the Habs in overtime. Thats the extent of his accomplishments. Yet somehow everyone loves his great coaching. Communication with players is not the only aspect needed. Let’s see what happens before we give him the Jack Adams…

Ill take the guy that got us into the Conference finals last year, for now…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

14. TomNickle says:

He got some pretty good reviews from camp and stuck the whole way through as you said.  They’re probably just grooming him like they are with Mayer.

OByrne in the dog house again!

Pouliot on the 4th line works for me.

And the best line last night was Halpern, Eller and Lapierre.

PK will learn and we all love his emotions, but he cost us two goals last night.

!st goal he left the zone to quickly, leaving a man alone in front of Price.

2nd, he is taking far to many penalties. It will take until Christmas before he rounds into a full NHLer

PK and Picard will sit Sat. night, Markov will be back.

16. TomNickle says:

I don’t keep track.  I just don’t think Martin wants him around if he isn’t going to correct his mistakes.

17. rocketsglare says:

I don’t get Moen on the top line and P.K. paired with Picard. Moen may have jam but not the necessary

scoring skills to augment the skills of Gionta and Gomez. As for P.K. paired with Picard, that is two raw

D-men neither having enough experience, working together. Usually you would pair one experienced D

man with another one with less experience. I don’t see either shake up contributing much but more of

a wake up call for this team.

18. Marky Sparky says:

Ryan Ob is not going anywhere he didnt play a horible game yesterday but he could have been alot better. I would love to see Eller with Boyd they look like they would fit together very nicely

Habs Fan since 94

19. Marky Sparky says:

Habs Fan since 94

20. TomNickle says:

He’s not gonna stick Timo.  He can’t fix the problems.

21. likehoy says:

what’s your conversion rate on hunches?

- I support Carey Price as the Number 1 Goalie!

22. likehoy says:

if the defensive pairings say anything, looks like subban is on the 3rd or 4th defense pairing (depending if markov’s slotted in the 3rd or 4th).

JM is not happy with subban’s game and rightly so.

- I support Carey Price as the Number 1 Goalie!

Other than a brain fart delay of game penalty I thought OB did ok last night. Martin, as usual, is looking for a scape goat to his piss poor coaching. Yes, the #6 dman, who was a plus on the night btw, was definitely a problem last night.

24. TomNickle says:

One delay of game penalty?

There’s a lot more to it than that.

Like a refusal or unwillingness to correct easy mistakes.

25. SeriousFan09 says:

Not that I know of, but he stuck all the way through camp and was then assigned to the HAM camp so I guess the organization sawe something in him. ECHL assignment could be coming his way.

26. RGM says:

Not a big reader eh? That’s OK. Saying that it’s got anything to do with Gionta’s American nationality is absurd.

27. likehoy says:

i agree, moen is not a top 2 line player…bring up eller!

- I support Carey Price as the Number 1 Goalie!

28. SLONCOLD says:

delay of game…..again

29. TomNickle says:

Injury to Mayer or Sanford?

30. RGM says:

I think he’s played his last game until the next one, and it will surely be in a Habs uniform. One delay of game penalty does not cost a guy his career.

31. SeriousFan09 says:

Hamilton Bulldogs signed tryout goaltender Peter Delmas, are they rolling with 3 goalies or is he due for an ECHL assignment? Guessing ECHL for him.

32. TomNickle says:

I think Ryan O’Byrne may have played his last game as a Hab.  Just call it a hunch.

33. TomNickle says:

Were they not the first powerplay goals the team’s given up so far this season Ian?

34. TomNickle says:

I’d like to see Auld face his former team.

Then again, if I want Auld in there against his former teams he’s going to play 60 games this year…..so maybe not!  Haha.

We are as fast as any team in the league. But we lack 60 min.
    tenacity. Tenacity draws penalties.  Passive coaching during the play.!

And without a power play we are done like dinner, in the new era of NHL play.

Two power play goals against last night again! and no PP goals for us again.!

36. TomNickle says:

Pouliot missed the net twice, but so did Lecavalier and Stamkos, I don’t think they’re going to be relegated to the fourth line tonight.

37. SLONCOLD says:

price against both. hes a big boy i’m sure he can handle a back to back game especially since he’s playing well right now

38. SLONCOLD says:

so it’s been said gionta pronouced his name wrong beacuas eof a locker inside joke kinda thing

i thought the team did a good job keeping the shots to the outside and price was solid with the rest

39. HabsFanInTampa says:

You could put Benoit Pouliot on a line with Gretzky and Lemieux and this guy still wouldn’t be able to take it up a notch. I’m sorry, but we should’ve got rid of Pouliot in June as I mentioned then. Instead, we give him a raise and dumped D. Moore. Someone here yesterday said that Boucher had zero NHL coaching experience and JM is a veteran coach and he would rather have him behind the bench. I’m sorry, but I’ll need to disagree with you on that. I’ll take Boucher and his 2 games against JM anyday.

40. TomNickle says:

Price against Buffalo and Auld against Ottawa please Jacques.

41. TomNickle says:

Pouliot leads the team in bodychecks and has two points in three games and is playing effectively.

Yeah, benching him sounds about right.

42. zaq007 says:

He also said Justin Boyd haha but he told TSN it was for jokes

43. Propwash says:

“Line changes, missing players, and rookies……  These are not our
    problem… I think our biggest problem is GIONTA…  Is it just me or
    did he say Max Laperriere last night?????? If he doesn’t know the guys
    last name, and he has no problem with Kostitsyn’s name… US
    CAPTAINS…. Thats what you get…”

Ummmmm… just an fyi, Stubbs confirmed that he did it on purpose to rib Lappy and Boyd.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

44. VintageFan says:

And so it begins. Seven months of line-changing one-upmanship posts.

45. avatar_58 says:

Look I like Moen, but he shouldn’t be on anyone’s top lines. Just please Martin….stop. Next we’ll see Darche up there.

46. joeybarrie says:

Line changes, missing players, and rookies……  These are not our problem… I think our biggest problem is GIONTA…  Is it just me or did he say Max Laperriere last night?????? If he doesn’t know the guys last name, and he has no problem with Kostitsyn’s name… US CAPTAINS…. Thats what you get…

We were unlucky last night. The goals they scored were crap. The reason we lost is because we let them get those shots, we couldn’t get the puck out of our own zone and we suffered for it. Other than that I thought we played a pretty good game. Price was outstanding, and the Gomez line was fairly useless. Once they get going and we get Markov back to full fitness, I am really going to like what we see…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

47. wotever says:

Uh.  Like Price and the fans?

It’s just a game.

48. db says:

Heh i remember a lot of praise going to Martin for out-adapting Boudreau that series..

49. db says:

I wouldnt say Laps is young, he’s just cheap… it seems that the Habs can’t demote anyone making a larger salary… Please don’t start Hammer with Spacecadet.

Not smarter, just a possibility as they put a game plan together..

51. ZepFan2 says:

Yeaaaah…what were those winning numbers for lotto max again?

————————————————————————–

“Wonder how tomorrow could ever follow today.”

52. habs youngtimer says:

Pouliot will NOT score another goal in the NHL!

53. rocketsglare says:

Ian, so does that mean that with every opponent JM is going to shake up his lines even if they are

playing well just to match theirs? To me that would never allow for our own lines to ever gel much

less have continuity and consistency. IMO, these shake ups are JM’s way of saying “let’s get going”.

54. andrewberkshire says:

All I want to see from Martin is a game where he lets the team play instead of forcing them to play in a defensive shell, waiting for the other team to capitalize. We can`t survive an 82 game season playing like we did against Washington. Other coaches adapt.

55. andrewberkshire says:

Chemistry looked fine in the 1st period Ian. The only forward who looked off was Gomez.

Are you saying I should be HumbleHabits?

57. TomNickle says:

They were in fact the first two goals we’ve given up when shorthanded this season.

Without Markov, there seems to be no backdoor passing on the powerplay.  Big problem.

58. notbigbird says:

Thanks for that perspective, Ian. You’re definitely smarter that I am.

A different style of team to face on Saturday night. We are just matching up lines for a different opponent.

60. TomNickle says:

I’ve been in that situation.

I worked in a financial services office in my early twenties and repeated a mistake over and over again for about a half of a year.  It was an administrative mistake, so a simple mistake.  I was told that if I didn’t correct it my career in that organization would be over.  I corrected it and saw two promotions in a calender year.

O’Byrne has got to stop to silly mistakes or he will find himself in the AHL or buried on another team’s depth chart.

His demotion, if it comes, is fair.

My boss at the time by the way was a recently divorced woman who had enough of a hate on for men that I was the last man to ever work for her.

61. Storm Man says:

So is this to mean Martin is going to coach better or is this his recipe for his martini?

Not a matter of punishment Andrew, we have to find chemistry and its not there.

He is not a rookie, he is a pro. He has had two years to get his confidence. Time to stop making excuses for him.

64. notbigbird says:

The Moen thing again? Well I guess it works every now and then for maybe one game. At that point JM gets called a genius. After that, not so much.

65. TripleX says:

Hypothetical question.  Say you had a boss that you knew did not like you, and every mistake made he reprimanded you more harshly than anyone else.  Would you be able to give your absolute best?

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

66. oshawahabsfan says:

Pouliot has been solid, he’s yet to pot a goal but it will come. He’s leading the team in the body check stat column I believe and he’s been good at both ends of the ice. Let’s not forget his two linemates played worse than he did last night

I heard it was in the works if he can be cleared by the Doc. Hope he does not come back to early though. Its a long season if he gets hurt again. They will be sure with him though.

68. VancouverHab says:

Pouliot was damned by the ‘help’ of his own H-I/O supporters after last night — using Pouliot’s workrate and endeavour as a defense of him. I said to myself at the time that we already have Moen for that: Pouliot needs to show effective skill.

Demote him.

But O’Byrne? JM clearly plays favourites — no way O’Byrne was that bad last night relative to those around him. He’s just a whipping-boy for Martin (whom I am really starting to lose confidence in…)

69. Sakus Evil Twin says:

JM really seems to have zero patience with O’B. I thought the same… he battled back after the delay penalty and with Josh Georges was probably the best defensive guy out there (Price aside!)

I think that Pouliot has to play like he did last night, every night. Eller is really snapping at his heels… that said the Lapierre line last night was arguably the best on the ice… and who’d want to break that up…

I hope JM doesn’t get all Carbo and constantly shuffle with a hope and a prayer. Work with Pouliot and OB. Make them better players…

No answers, just opinions. Bite me. Och.

70. TomNickle says:

In fairness, O’Byrne is making the same mistakes over and over again.  Pouliot on the other hand has really improved his game even though he isn’t putting the puck in the net.

Pouliot doesn’t deserve a demotion in my opinion.  O’Byrne’s is questionable if it’s in favour of Picard but the fact remains that O’Byrne is getting his chances and simply can’t eliminate bad mistakes from his game.

71. TripleX says:

Have to agree.  Why does Hammer in his FIRST game back play over 20 minutes and O’Byrne gets limited ice?  JM is beyond incomprehensible.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

72. TommyB says:

You’re right HH!  [slaps self in the head].  I’ll wait for the boxed set to come out.

24 cups– I think OByrne will be in and PK will sit with Picard when Markov comes back Sat. night. just a hunch. Martin will have to let PK watch a game from the press box. He learns very quickly unlike OByrne.

74. B says:

The coach doesn’t decide who stays in Montreal and who goes to Hamilton, that is the GM’s decision. The coach decides who plays (and for how much TOI) from the roster that the GM gives him. The coach does have some input, but it is ultimately the GM’s decision who is on the roster.

75. fbkj says:

sorry leafs take the cake for that title, but yeah, we need to change ours, enough already

76. B says:

Gallagher has 16 points in 10 GP (not 16 GP) so far this season.

77. samTHEman says:

i dont know how white would fit into our bottom 6 but a line of pyatt – boyd – white sounds very appealing to me.

i’d love to see Eller with gomez and gio too…but benny will cash in soon

78. adamkennelly says:

no sir – if JM wants White in his line-up – he will be in the line-up…GM’s job is to figure out how to make it happen if there are moves that need to be made.

79. Chorske says:

Fair enough. But I’m not sure I’d want to see that level of error-proneness at ANY level on the depth chart.

He’s being asked to fill some big shoes, and I have full confidence he’ll become a huge part of the team’s success. But last night, he was a huge part of why we lost. In the bin for the tying goal, missed coverage for the winning goal. He was awful. My expectations aren’t high. “Don’t be awful” isn’t exactly shooting for the stars, is it?

80. HabsTrueBlue says:

“In the bin for the tying goal” <– sh!t happens

“missed coverage for the winning goal”<– It’s hard to blame PK for that given that he was sitting on the bench when the winning goal was scored.

On the one goal that occured when he was on the ice Poulliot is as much to blame for turning the puck over at the blue line leading to the shot from the point which Subban almost blocked.

81. Castor says:

Gomez and Gionta aren’t connecting on passes and shots it’s true…but they are still getting the puck to the right places and Pouliot is just not cashing in. Not that Moen will. I think it’s going to have to be Eller…

and bring white up.

I don’t have a ton of faith in Martin but I do have faith in most of these players. AK is going to have a good year I think. That second line is killer. Max’s line is good and even Pyatt and the 4th line is doing well.

I think we should relax a bit. We have three points in three games, it’s not great, but we’re not the Penguins at least. You think they’re going to stay this way? I don’t think we will either. (I HOPE!)

82. habs_101_habs says:

I honestly feel that JM’s coaching style and lack of offensive insticts is what is killing this team. Montreal is clearly a team built for speed, and offense, look at their cap, they have 4 huge contracts committed long term to the top 6, thats fine, but if you are going to do that, build the team to succeed around these players. Defense first system doesn’t work with these forwars, they are to small to protect their own end, however each of the top two lines has a physical winger, and they are capable of applying pressure and handling the puck for long stretches in the offensive end, so style your gameplan this way. Another thing that bothers me is JM’s LOVE for veteran players, sure, you need your vets to lead ideally, but the vets on this team are NEVER punished, Gomez and Gionta have been completely invisible and they are supposed to be our top line?! Those two are acutally making Pouliot look bad right now, who has been able to put up 2 pts in 3 games and even registered 5 hits lasts night, send the right message JM, dont bench Pouliot!!!!?!?! Since when does putting a fourth line winger (Moen) produce MORE offense with struggling top 6 forwards?! reward the players who are playing well, try this for the weekend games, i bet you will be pleasantly surprised;

Cammy- Pleks – Kostitsyn

Pouliot – Eller – Gionta

Boyd – Gomez – Lapierre

Pyatt- Halpern – Moen

83. TheBug30 says:

Charles L. Gare

I was very disapointed with last nights game against TB as Carey played a whale of a game only to have the Ref take it away. I know they the Canadiens where outshot severally but he Carey was doing very well and should have had that game. Gary’s refs are a huge disapointment!! TheBug30

84. sidhu says:

I actually like your top two lines — Benny and Eller are two big bodies to offset Gio’s small frame. Plus, what better mentor for Eller than Gio.

85. sidhu says:

Buffalo is going to come out hard against us after losing to a short-handed NJ squad.  That’s pretty embarassing to lose to a team that fielded two less players.

It will be another interesting/frustrating night with Kaleta roaming around.  I hope someone shuts his yap.  Maybe OB can give him a go.

86. Fant-HAB-ulous says:

I don’t think these combos mean much come game time. we are early in the season and I’d rather JM try out line combos and defensive pairings in practise then in a real game.

87. Les-Habitants says:

Benoit is playing well right now, he just doesn’t have that finish.  An opportunity to play with some high energy, and younger players, in Boyd and Pyatt will take some pressure off and give him an opportunity to get his offensive game going.  I like his physical play, and his size will work well with those two.

Moen is a big boy and not afraid of going to the net.  Having a veteran guy like that play on the 2nd line can’t possibly hurt.  He has scored some big goals for us, but more importantly he’ll open up some space for Gio and Gomer.

Judging by this, it would appear that the defensive pairings when Markov returns will be:

Gorges – Gill

Hammer – Spacek

Markov – Subban

Man, that’s awesome hahaha!

88. SeriousFan09 says:

Markov-Subban should be tested out certainly, he can cover up his partner’s mistakes with ease and Subban will learn a ton from being shifted with Markov. Markov reads the ice and knows how to pick his spots, he can tune in Subban on when to hold back, while Subban will gladly handle physical efforts on the pair.

89. habs_101_habs says:

Yea, I like the look of them too, atleast more then putting Moen – Gomez – Gionta and then Eller – Halpern – Lapierre, with Eller cetering Benny and Gio, it gives us two top line still, JM seems to think putting a grinder on every line will magically create secondary scoring, right now, I think Montreals biggest problem is secondary scoring (atleast once Markov is healthy is will be) the pleks line is producing 2 goals a game, if we could get another line that would produce, and a PP goal every now and then we would have one all three games. The most positive thing so far is that Carey has been a legitimate number 1.

90. A. Berke says:

Judging from JM’s “shuffle” at the practice, OB will probably be sitting out tomorrow (paired w/Markov!)

Who said Martin can’t handle and develop young players?

Besides, shuffling players pretty much at every game from here on, ought to implement his “SYSTEM” more effectively.

Ali B.

91. notbigbird says:

The GGP line is out of sync. When Gomer does his rushes, no one is going with him. They stand up there waiting near the blue line for him, and there’s little he can do with the puck once he gains the zone.

92. SeriousFan09 says:

Brendan Gallagher’s team lost to the Prince Albert Raider’s yesterday, but he maintained his point streak to 10 straight games and sits at 8G, 8A over 16GP, it was also the first game he actually registered a – differential.

Alexei Emelin is becoming a major force for Ak Bars Kazan in the KHL on the final year of his deal. After his coming out party in the playoffs where he scored 5G, 8A in 22 games on the road to an eventual Championship, he stands at 3G, 4A in 12GP this season. I would argue that Emelin could be the key plank in next year’s offseason moves if he can be convinced to leave Russia. At 6’1″, 220 pounds and an increasing ability to add offensive contributions he could be very useful.

93. observer says:

agreed:markov/subban pairing. watched last nights game on tampa’s telecast and the announcers noted how philly had attacked subban forcing him into mistakes something that his former coach boucher knew well how to and last night tampa did the same and subban was caught out of position several times and even that late penalty was caused by him being out of position. even in toronto and pittsburgh games subban was targeted by both those teams. with markov back therewith subban those teams cant gamble on that strategy.

94. observer says:

habs played real well last year against buffalo i think especially late in the season/

95. ed lopaz says:

chalk up another shut out for brodeur.

YUP, he’s “washed up”, all right.

they better get a “REAL” starting goalie.

I love my country, that does not mean I support the present government.
    I love the Habs, that does not mean I support the present Habs management.

96. scrowe21 says:

If only Gallagher was a foot taller…. I wonder if he’ll ever make it in the NHL

Got any news on Avtsin,Maxpac or Schultz?

————-

2 on 1 Fake pass deke

97. Bob Dobbs says:

So how are things in Habsland? Hmmmm, let’s see.

After three games of regular season play we’re at .500, with our best player in Markov missing all those games, a good defenseman in Hamrlik missing for two of those games, and one of our best forwards in Cam missing in one of those games. Also we outplayed Toronto in the first game and although we lost in the majority of games like that we’ll end up winning, and we could easily have gotten an extra point against Tampa (or to put it otherwise it’s difficult to conceive how we could have ended up below .500 because even if we didn’t manage a come-back against the Pens we could have gotten more points elsewhere). Also some of the big uncertainties coming into the season show reassuring signs, namely in the case of Price, third and fourth line production, Eller, and I think Kostitsyn too. We obviously have problems beyond all this, like any team has… but, I think it’s safe to say, THE SKY IS FALLING AND WE SHOULD GET READY FOR A LOOOOOOOOOONG SEASON!!!1

98. HabFanSince72 says:

we’re still waiting to see a brilliant stategist arise from behind the bench.

A bit harsh isn’t it?

It could be argued that he out-coached Boudreau and Bylsma in the playoffs?

99. observer says:

good news for you leaf obsessors! loto quebec now lets you bet just 2 games to win. so you can take toronto who never loses this year as one selection and all you have to do is pick one winner. tomorrow habs in buffalo.

100. slamtherimtim says:

BP never had the finish , he needs to go to the net and crash it , he’s always trying for the pretty top shelf goal , while skating by the net , when they should be banging off his head into the net , they are going to use moen to show how BP what to do when on the line ,

dont understand why the team gives so many chances trying to make things work and others get sent to the ahl , for going offside

101. SeriousFan09 says:

Well it was about time he did his job after 9GA in his first two starts and getting pulled against WSH, plus he dropped a game to Dallas, a group operating under an internal budget that doesn’t let them spend the cap yet still they won out.

ed, do you honestly believe that Martin Brodeur is at the height of his career of right now, or fading? Tick-tock on the NJD, Brodeur gets older and his game has not improved with age. Weak playoff exits for multiple years straight as he chases or pads his personal records. I’d bet MTL advances further than NJ this year in playoffs without hesitation.

102. observer says:

he  isgauthier fryend and coach! end of story! he goes when gauthier is swept out the door. that is why boucher is gone! thye fact gauthier is still here.

103. SeriousFan09 says:

Bulldogs don’t open their season until tommorow against the Rochester Americans than we get start examining stats and game reports, they’ve been in training the last few days, although the new head coach Randy Cunneyworth gave high marks to Avtsin’s effort level and passion for the game.

104. scrowe21 says:

Right onn. Thanks. Im really hoping those 3 have a good year there. Also kinda forgot about Palushaj and Engqvist being there this year too.

————-

2 on 1 Fake pass deke

105. ed lopaz says:

I do not believe that Brodeur is washed up – not by a long shot.

His numbers last season were absolutely OFF THE CHARTS. 45 wins, 9 shutouts,  for a team that finished 19th in Goals scored.

I would add this:

If Price puts up 45 wins and 9 shutouts, he will have established himself as one of the ELITE goalies in the NHL.

Right?

I hope MTL advances further than NJ – that could be the case.

But that does not take away from the fact that Brodeur is coming off a SENSATIONAL SEASON.

I love my country, that does not mean I support the present government.
    I love the Habs, that does not mean I support the present Habs management.

106. LA Loyalist says:

1. We were damn lucky to beat Pittsburgh.

2. We blew a 2 goal lead last night and gave up 47 some shots.

3. The Leaf game we don’t talk about it’s too humiliating.

On the plus side, Price has played great, and Kostitsyn looks great if he actually can play like that consistently that will be large.

Obviously Markov will be huge. My main concern after 3 games is Martin’s “system” of collapsing around the goalie like Custer’s last stand is getting really old. It worked in the short run in the playoffs but it’s very hard on the players to sustain with the shot blocking, etc. I don’t think it can be done for a whole season by anyone.

I kind of think Patton’s quote about war is appropriate here. “You don’t win by dying for your country, you win by getting the OTHER GUY to die for HIS country.

We need play a lot more in the other end of the ice, create chaos and lateral movement. We have no or limited options to change players or trade, so this is pretty much the team.

Let’s see what M. Martin can come up with – hopefully something the players we have can execute.

“17 Games to a new Tagline”

107. sholi2000.com says:

NOICE!

They Call Me Shane

108. SeriousFan09 says:

He was goaltending for a team that allowed 27 SA/G per game, which was only bested by CHI’s 25 SA/G who produced a total of 11 shutouts between their two netminders last season. NJD spent a season working the classic Lemaire trap that is pretty much built around Martin Brodeur’s goaltending style, limiting chances and keeping the shot totals low. Imagine Price’s stats right now if he faced 27 shots a game.

Brodeur has come off great regular seasons for years but he has failed to pull it out in the playoffs where the offence is more pressing and he’s racked in 70+ games already. He gets worn out and blown out of nets. Sooner or later, he’s not even going to be able to put up a great 75-game season anymore. I have nothing against Brodeur but he isn’t what he was. A wider-open offensive game by NJ is not going to favour a 70+ game season for Brodeur.

109. LA Loyalist says:

Yes he did, brilliantly. But it’s one thing to execute a “collapse around the goalie, keep everything to the perimeter and block shots with your teeth” in a series. It’s unsustainable for a whole year, even you had a team built to do it, which we don’t. And you’ll remember we were totally out of gas against philly.

We need to coach with what we have, not an abstract systemic model.

Carbo was trying to recreate the successful teams he played on. He didn’t have the horses and couldn’t accept that and adjust.

Pat Burns is a great example of a good coach – 3 different Coach of year awards from coaching 3 totally different teams stylistically – Habs, Leafs and NJ couldn’t have been more different.

He used what he had. Either Martin starts scheming stuff we can execute, or it’s going to be a long year.

“Only in the NHL can 1 win and 2 losses leave you at .500.”

110. HNS says:

I’d like to see Price steal a game or two. If not, this season will be a short one.

111. mjames says:

Not sure about Martin’s shake-up. He is punishing the wrong guy. It is not Pouliot that should be demoted but Gomez. I would recommend reading habs_101_habs’ post below (sent around 15:00). He makes a very good point.

mjames

112. Mark C says:

I’ll do that for you. The difference between Price and Brodeur’s SV% accounts for about 8 more goals based on the amount of shots Brodeur faced (2004). In other words, Price would have let in a little more than 1 extra goal every ten games than Marty did (based on Marty’s 76 starts).

113. habs4ever2894 says:

Gionta and Gomez have been invisible and our pp has sucked so far this season and thats why we lost 2/3 games plain and simple. It’s crazy how some people here over analyze the situation. This team is a good one once we get all lines going and i have full confidence that we will. Gomez and Gionta are veterans and i doubt they will suck like this all year long. Our pp troubles will be solved once markov comes back. A 5 game win streak is upon us people so look out.

114. MathMan says:

For that matter, I am unsure that a gameplan that calls for allowing the other guys to outshoot and outchance your guys sometimes two to one and more, and praying the goalie stands on his head, is what could be called “outcoaching” anyone, let alone “brilliantly”.

It would be fairer to say Blysma and Boudreau were out-lucked and out-goalied.

115. HNS says:

Flame on. I thought Price played a strong game last nite but I think the last time he stole one for us was when Jesus was a cowboy.

116. ed lopaz says:

cool.

if Price can win 45 games, the habs will win their division and finish no worse than 3rd in the East.

let’s hope it happens.

I love my country, that does not mean I support the present government.
    I love the Habs, that does not mean I support the present Habs management.

117. SeriousFan09 says:

Latest report from @renhockey of RDS: Andrei Markov wants to be back next thursday vs Devils, sources told me. He’s still waiting for the green light from the doctors.

Guess the Saturday return was a bit too much to hope for.

118. terrygain says:

The last thing Martin should do is panic. Moving Gomez to the 3rd line or, no disrespect, Moen to the 1st line is panicking. He should stick with the same lines and demand more disciplined play and hope for (and expect) better calls and bounces.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Did anyone notice how those Maple Leaf fans are such sheep? They support management no matter what. It’s no wonder they haven’t won in 43 years.

119. Lafrich says:

I do agree with your assessment, but one thing I would like to see is Pouliot spearated from Gionta. He has too much respect for both Gionta and Gomez not enough for himself. I see him constantly giving up the puck to the other two guys on his line rather than making the right play for the moment which sometimes is keeping the puck himself.

Maybe a 3rd line of Eller, Pouliot, and Lapierre is the right move. 3 guys who will just work hard and have some offensive upside (well Eller and Pouliot anyway…), and put Boyd, Halpern, or Moen with G and G.

120. ed lopaz says:

check this link.

it is quite detailed, but I thought you might want to read it.

I love my country, that does not mean I support the present government.
    I love the Habs, that does not mean I support the present Habs management.

121. habs001 says:

great job with the prospect info…one of the most knowledgeable posters on this site…

122. TripleX says:

I was saying the exact same thing all last season and into the playoffs.  Only to be called a Leaf troll, Halak lover, Boucher lover and JM hater.  I don’t hate JM, but I do hate the way he coaches.  He is not a motivator or a coach that can devise a system that suits his roster.  He has a defensive sytem and hell or high water that is what he expects his players to execute.  The fact they are ill suited to this task seems to be inconsequential to the man.

Halak saved not only the season but the tenure of JM.   I wonder if it was worth it in the long run.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

123. punkster says:

Because OB thinks his target is somewhere in the stands?

I kid, I kid!

124. Mark C says:

Price won’t get 45 wins. He won’t the 75+ starts needed, nor does he play on a team good enough to get that many wins at a reduced start total.

125. Chuck says:

Ok… you’re baiting a flame war, right?

I agree… GG’s need someone with some speed on that line. Boyd (although I am not sure what natural position he plays) would probably be pretty good on that line. Eller too. Hell, if JM wants to experiment, why not put O’Byrne with Gionta and Gomez?

Hey, nobody said it was a good game plan… but being outshot and outchanced IS still a gameplan.

But what happened to Dave and his FREE TIMO add??

Punkster where are you.?

There you are Dave . Were you out scouting my friend.?

130. Mark C says:

Thanks for the update! Good to see Gallagher producing at such a high rate, hope this helps his WJH chances. Emelin’s offensive improvement, at least production wise looks legit. His contract is up this spring and there would be a spot open on the Habs if he was ready and willing.

131. SeriousFan09 says:

NJD Blog, alright. Just remember this the next you criticize any Fan’s explanation of Carey’s play and it not being his fault. How about the Olympics last winter? He gave the Americans that game in essence with bad play and got yanked for it.

Brodeur has yet to prove he can make it through playoffs without some HOF defenders in front of him and frankly, if this was Price v Halak and someone was breaking down goals by Price, we’d have the “Halak would have found a way to win” nonsense. If Brodeur is the money goaltender he gets reported to be and age isn’t affecting him, he can steal a playoff series once in the last 3 years. He’s never had real success without Niedermayer and Stevens covering him. People demand that Price must make the impossible saves to prove his status, how about Brodeur does the same in the last half-decade when it matters most?

I am tired of getting flak for suggesting Brodeur wasn’t ever great I’m saying he isn’t what he was. That still leaves him better than most but time catches up with everyone and I don’t see him suddenly becoming a dominant playoff goalie if he stubbornly sticks to his 70+ game schedule.

132. habs365 says:

I would insert Halpern with Gomez and Gionta 2nd Line  (Experience and should score goals)

Boyd Eller and Lapierre  3rd Line (Speed and should score goals)

Poulien Moen Pyatt  4th Line (Checking and bonus goals)

See what they can do can’t forsee them doing worst, Leave the goaltending be,  carey is playing great.

133. SeriousFan09 says:

Much credit goes to the great work of Habs Prospects!

I regularly tap his site to get information and use whatever else I can grab for more detail.

134. JohnnyBEast says:

Did you happen to catch the game last saturday? Thanks for coming out

135. Matt_in_TO says:

or his own net….

- In Price We Trust

you guys are killing me

137. punkster says:

Hey man, I love the OB-wan. He’ll be a good D man one day.

138. StevieRay says:

Shake things up ???? Moen has hands of rock ….he’s a plugger …3rd line guy … .

If he wants to shake things up ..start calling out a few guys .. Gomez for example ..he makes the big money ..his fault or not …the point is he needs to get his nose dirty and get to the net ..playmaker  ..I don’t think so .

47 shots on goal ….???? that’s what’s needs to be fixed as well our PP…MAB doesn’t look that bad know does he //

looks like a long season with boring JM at the helm .. he should of lost it when PK got the penalty late in the third …  JM lacks emotion ….. get fired up man !!!!!

So do I. And I hope it’s here in Mtl.

140. ZepFan2 says:

OT

Do these two look alike…

BP

BA

Or is it just me being bored?

————————————————————————–

“Wonder how tomorrow could ever follow today.”

141. Brown_Hab_Fan says:

You obviously don’t watch any habs games

142. solomio says:

Yes the below line up from habs101 looks like it could do some good things.

Hope JM reads this.

Cammy- Pleks – Kostitsyn

Pouliot – Eller – Gionta

Boyd – Gomez – Lapierre

Pyatt- Halpern – Moen

143. Rob says:

First off…welcome back Timo.  Haven’t had a chance to say so since you were readmitted.  And I’ve noticed that your tone is much more….diplomatic since your reinstatement.  While i got to know you a little personally and therefore gained some insight into your online persona, I must say I like your new one better and think it’s a more accurate portrayal of who you actually are!  Also I hope we can get together again soon at Shanks or something and bring back a little of that Game 7 magic!  Looks like we could use a little of it right now.

On that note, while Timo has slightly tweaked his way of “venting”, it’s nice to see others have not (sigh).  but….has anyone been watching the Ultimate Fighter?  GSP is coaching and I think this wonderful athletic ambassador for Quebec and Canada is providing a great example of how to deal with people who skew towards the loud and ignorant end of the personality spectrum (i.e. josh Kosicheck or, say, certain HIO posters).  Anyway, anyone who hasn’t tuned in, should; just to see how to deal with such annoyances in a classy AND effective way!  Just thought I’d throw that out there.

The Montreal Canadiens: sporting the best AND worst fans since 1909!

144. punkster says:

Did you even read the entire comment by Dennis?

145. KGB_AKA4787 says:

What interests me so much more is next season and the space we will have on the cap, and the possibility of having some of our young prospects making the team.

Alexi Emelin is a beast, I had a chance to see him play when I wented to Moscow and saw Dynamo face Ak Barz last year. Asset he would be to the Habs if we could CONVINCE him to play North American hockey. I just can’t imagine why anybody wouldn’t want to play for the best league in the world,where you find the best players. Unfortunatly Kazan Russia is so corrupted with the mafia being the 3rd or 4th corrupted city in russia that most of these players are tied to personal obligations and contracts with these guys. But if we can land Alexi Emelin to a 2 year deal next year, it will be the season I have been waiting for since I first heard about him, I anticipate overall that the Habs have drafted well the last 5 years from what we are all promised to get as results for the future.

Go Habs Go

146. fbkj says:

to answer both questions, sorta

147. SeriousFan09 says:

Athletic ambassador? He’s a mercenary who beats the crap out of people to prove he can.

148. Chorske says:

People are kvetching about Gomez and Gionta, but I am more preoccupied by how awful PK was last night, how completely irresponsible he was- and Cammalleri’s apparent lack of interest and weirdly smartassy attitude. He made a beer league attempt at o-zone penetration in the 2nd that made my jaw drop in sheer incredulity… and his weakass clearing attempt during the final PK helped the Bolts hem the Habs in. He looks out of sorts to me.

149. andrewberkshire says:

I’m not worried about PK at all, he’s being forced to play out of his depth as a PP qb in basically his first 5 regular season games of his career. When Markov comes back everyone on the D corps will look better by moving one spot down the depth chart.

150. SeriousFan09 says:

Subban is still adapting to the NHL and he was up against a coach who knew him pretty damn well, put pressure on PK and expolited his tendencies. Gomez and Gionta have to be better and they’re veterans, they know how this game works, Subban is a work in progress, it won’t all be roses with him. Cammalleri’s racked into the 40-60 PIM range in his career, he does get hot-blooded sometimes, hopefully it’s out of his system and he calms down for Friday night.

151. punkster says:

I think PK is smart enough to get the picture at some point. You can’t play AHL level hockey against the big boys and expect them to fall for your moves. But you can expect them to put pressure on you whenever possible knowing full well you will make an AHL error or two. He’ll figure it out after getting burned a few times. The Cammi thing doesn’t concern me either. The entire top two lines are out of sorts so far.

152. punkster says:

Haha…closing the cottage and got back late Tuesday. Great weather in Killarney Park last week.

153. ZepFan2 says:

I saw BA’s pic on the news and thought he looked like somebody else. The the sports came on and BP’s mug was shown and I saw the light…sorta. lol

————————————————————————–

“Wonder how tomorrow could ever follow today.”

154. Malreg says:

Watching OTT vs CAR.  Anybody else notice that Ottawa’s goal song is now Vertigo by U2?

155. linp says:

It would be more difficult to be successful when you have Pouliot as your linemate. He is soft and at times looked lost on the ice last night.

156. krob1000 says:

Halak gives up early one…..and Sergei back in linep after toe injury for Nashville

157. Chris F says:

Looking at the first three games, something is (was) missing. Watching last night it was clearly evident what that something is: a punishing forecheck. If you follow the Habs forwards path into the offensive zone on most occasions, there is a simple grazing of the other teams D. This is simply not going to get it done. This wouldn’t get it done in Junior. We need someone to “create” turnovers, and feed our offensive stars: ie: Plekanecs, Gionta, Kosti. We have this player in our system, his name is Ryan White.

Now before anyone gets bent out of shape, think about it. I don’t mind Pouliot, I really liked him directly after the trade, he was scoring in front of the net. However, for the most part (even though he has been trying to use his body), we have way too many perimeter players. Ryan White is a poor mans Chris Neil, and given the chance, will become as effective as Neil in his Prime, gauranteed. He was the teams most energetic player in the preseason, and proved he belonged. Unfortunately, we have a coach who had his mind made up before the preseason started, based on contracts albeit.

My advice, give the kid a chance. I believe he’ll make us proud. I believe he’ll give this team the jolt it needs. He is exactly what we need, and nobody else on this team can give it-that’s the problem. It doesn’t matter what combination of players the coach dials, the team is missing this ingredient. I like Eller, I like Moen, but Eller is not tough enough (although he is very skilled), and Moen is not skilled enough to make the pass after creating the turnover, he, is basically a tough plugger. White can skate, he can fight, he can pass, and he showed he can score.

This is a no brainer. Putting Moen on one the top lines is just not going to do it, and I would bet he will be off that line by the third period of the next game, if not sooner. If Mr. Martin wants to infuse the team with that much needed jolt of adrenaline, and have someone else’s D look over their shoulder with some degree of fear, tell our beloved GM to CALL MR. WHITE!!!!!

158. 24moreCups says:

Price has been stealing games for us, we just haven’t won them all because we couldn’t hold the lead always score when needed.

I’m not sure if you watched the same games I did but Price kept us in those games, the score against us could of been a lot more if it wasn’t for him playing a solide game.

I’d like to see us score more then 3 goals on some nights. lol

159. samTHEman says:

you’re right about the weak forechecking. it was better under carbo’s system i find. i really liked white and want to see him dressed every day. he should be playing.

i wouldn’t say eller isn’t tough. he finishes his checks although they aren’t the strongest, he will improve. he wins most of his battles on the boards have you guys noticed? very strong on the puck and dishes a good first pass. i want to see him center the 3rd…Boyd and Lapierre on his wings. Keep pouliot on the 2nd line. He’s getting chances, give him time….if he hasn’t got a goal by the 10 game mark then switch it up…give him time on the powerplay to get a goal and raise hs confidence. confidence is a big deal…did you guys see kostitsyn try to deke between 2 guys in the 3rd after his goal? confidence….confidence…

160. samTHEman says:

oh and you’re spot on about his attitude. it’s contageous. he’ll bring energy and enthusiasm on the 3rd or 4th line that is much needed. can’t wait till he is called up.

161. rogus says:

Jesus Price is a cowboy! No reason to be negative after his game last night.

162. scrowe21 says:

Worst goal song in the league

————-

2 on 1 Fake pass deke

163. Rob says:

As are boxers.  And sprinters are just speed junkies who try to run faster than other people to prove they can do that.

Anyway, obviously you don’t agree that MMA is a sport and I’ll grant you the fact that it’s, at least, debateable.  However, if you’ve ever watched GSP fight, and looked at how he trains, and his philosophies towards his “sport”, it’s clear that, even if MMA is not a sport, GSP is an elite athlete both physically and psychologically.  And I stand by my original statement….he’s an excellent ambassador for both athleticsm and professionalism for his province, and more importantly, his country.

The Montreal Canadiens: sporting the best AND worst fans since 1909!

164. gumper says:

I stated a similar opinion with the team coming out of training camp, CF. I made the point that, based on what they had shown in camp I’d take White ahead of Halpern. I was called everything but a complete idiot since I stated the opinion that prowess in the faceoff circle would be the only thing that could keep Halpern in camp. Now, I get that winning faceoffs is important, but so is attitude. In my opinion (and yours, I see) Ryan White was the poster boy for the kind of attitude this team needs. It’s an attitude that everyone, including faceoff specialists would do well to cultivate.

165. adamkennelly says:

3 games into the season and step one towards White being up full time has already taken place.  BP on the 3rd line – gimme a break…Moen should be on the 3rd line, White up top and BP needs to go away…Alexandre Daigle was 1st overall – just cause he was drafted high – doesn’t mean a thing.

White will be up – and he will be up to stay shortly.

Anybody else but me feel that we witnessed old school getting schooled by new school last game, a game that was as exciting as watching a Bulldogs game last season, except the wrong team was the exciting one. Mind you the boring team’s goaltender was spectacular at times. Just saying.

167. TomNickle says:

Boucher only made one critical adjustment last night.

Our habit of sitting back once we get a lead and our defenses’ inability to cover opposing players on the backdoor lead to the loss.

That one critical adjustment was moving Stamkos to the top of the Umbrella on the powerplay because Pyatt and Gorges were doing a great job of taking away his shot from the circle.

168. SeriousFan09 says:

Responsibility also fell to Gionta last night to keep his teammates in line, I know he got handed a much more visible leadership position and more challenges to come with it but it is his job to rein in the guys and make sure they keep it calm and use their aggressive game to their advantage.

Gionta needs to step up this week if we want to pick the Ws.

169. G-Man says:

The static D concept of allowing the other team no holds barred access into the D zone boggles the effing mind. The gap between the backchecker and the Dman is always too effing large. Easy access = 40 + shots every game.

The thought that JM was “schooled” is another joke I’ve read over and over. The players not performing and playing together as a unit is a HUGE problem. 1-1-1 could easily be 0-3.

More misery to follow Friday night in Buffalo. Unless someone wakes the eff up. And it’s the players needing to wake up, not the coach.

170. SeriousFan09 says:

JM quoted from practice as saying (as best I could get from Google Translate on this article) that the Gomez line did not play to Pouliot’s ability last night and wasn’t pleased with what Gionta and Gomez were doing more than what he thought Pouliot might have done wrong.

171. TomNickle says:

Nice to know that he sees what everybody else and their dog does.

Hope Pouliot doesn’t end up on the fourth line because Gionta and Gomez aren’t playing well.

172. RGM says:

The Translate fails again – “c’est tout le trio qui ne joue pas la hauteur de ses capacités” is more along the lines of “it is all three of them not playing up to their capabilities” not the line playing to Benoit’s capability. Had he said “de son capacite” then yeah, not up to Benny’s par, but “ses” is the plural and refers to the entire line.

173. Kooch7800 says:

I am a huge Gionta fan.  I know he will get better but he has been invisible this season so far.

174. SeriousFan09 says:

Well with many convinced JM is the next veteran NHL coach to flame out of the NHL and end up on RDS, I just thought I’d relay that he is perhaps not out to get Pouliot and instead noted the Gomez line is not motoring like it should.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

Good news for New Jersey as they catch some short-term cap relief.

Additional info.

176. Chuck says:

It’s pretty bad when a long-term injury to one of your star players can be termed as “good news”.

And does anyone feel at least a little sorry for Jeff Finger? The Laffs sign him to a contract that was worth way more than what his skill-set should have commanded, and now he’s been buried in the minors because Leaf management can’t get a handle on how a salary cap works. If he’s recalled, another team could grab him on re-entry waivers for half-price, but that would mean that the other half of his contract would go back against the Leafs’ cap. Considering he was sent to the AHL as a salary dump, I doubt that the Leafs would be willing to call him back up.

So now here’s a guy with an NHL contract who could most definitely help another team (especially one needing help to hit the cap floor) and he’s stuck playing in the AHL regardless of how well he plays. I’m surprised that the NHLPA isn’t all over this.

Also, if I’m looking at signing a contract, a no-movement clasuse is now at the top of my list.

177. Laramy87 says:

Dumb decision, Moen is a checker and good checker, he is not a scored:

AK – Pleks – Cammy
    Eller – Gomez – Gio (Eller looked good there in TO)
    Pouilot – Halpern – Lapierre (Laps has showen quite a bit of jump this season, i think he will help Pouilot on this line)
    Pyatt – Boyd – Moen (a solid checking line)

Although Eller has not looked out of place this year, giving him more minutes and playing with Gomez and Gio, will make him better, and get him on the score sheet

Still P@ssed about last nite

178. Harani says:

Renaud Lavoie tweets that Price might play both games. And I think that really good news. I think he can handle it and it’lll gie him lots of confidence (Remember when JM came with Halak is Calgary last time?) And also, I don’t want to imagine Alex Auld facing 50 shots.

“It must be love!”

179. Storm Man says:

Who does the game plan? The Coach or Players? JM defensive style is not working so far time for him to try something else.

180. otter649 says:

The only good thing for Finger being in The AHL he does not have to pay NHL escrow (sp) so he gotta raise by going to the minors………lol

181. HabFanSince72 says:

The problem for the NHLPA is this – if you  remove the cap or allow rich teams to get around it, the weak market teams can’t survive. Fewer teams means fewer jobs.

182. Malreg says:

Souray is saving almost $1,000,000 in escrow by being in the AHL! Not too shabby…

183. Chuck says:

But by the same token, being able to bury high-priced contracts means that teams will be able to replace those players with ones making a lot less money, which artificially drives down salaries. The NHLPA doesn’t want to see that, either.

184. ZepFan2 says:

“Fewer teams means fewer jobs.”

Fewer teams means better players.

Only the best will be signed. Not too shabby imo.

————————————————————————–

“Wonder how tomorrow could ever follow today.”

Chuck – I believe that Finger was signed by Cliff Fletcher while he was acting as laff caretaker before Brian Burke arrived.  Finger has two years left at 3.5M a seson so he will most certainly play out the string in the AHL.  Luckily for him he gets to stay in the same city and doesn’t have to move (Toronto Marlies).  Could you imagine if had to live in some hell hole like Hamilton:-)

This is a smart move by Burke as it opens up cap space (which in today’s NHL is as much an asset as a player) which he can use to help a team fix their cap problems (while getting something in return such as a pick for Kolzig) or even pick up a decent player from a team that is desperate to get under the cap (Atlanta-Chicago).  There is no way that Finger was going to dislodge kids like Schenn and Gunenarsson or Brett Lebda who makes 2M a season less than Finger.

Most H I/O posters hate Brian Burke but aside from his Kessel trade he has done a decent job of finding some talent and turning around the Muskoka mentality of the franchise.  Hab fans like to laugh at the Komisarek signing but we all have to remember that G&G basically made the same offer.  Ditto  for Kovy.  Gionta/Spacek could just have easily been Kovalev/Komisarek.

186. otter649 says:

Fletcher signed Finger with input from coach Ron Wilson who liked Mr Finger play as an Av when Wilson was coaching San Jose but Fletcher most questionable move to some was giving up 2 draft picks to move up a couple of spots to draft Luke Scheen when The Leafs were trying to rebuild & giving up draft picks is not the way to go leaving Burke trying to obtain team depth via signing undrafted free agents College players & for the most part found out why these players were not drafted at age 18……….

187. SeriousFan09 says:

Finger was Fletcher’s screw-up but what I found insulting was “Mr. Straight Talk” Burke said it was about letting Finger build up his value in the AHL when in fact, everyone knows it’s a straight salary dump on a contract no team wants and TOR is never going to let it sit on their cap at half-value from re-entry waivers.

I find Burke irritating because he speaks with this ridiculous level of arrogance that in my opinion, is completely unjustified considering while he has a Cup win, so do other GMs and they don’t try to sell their view of the game as the best way it is to be played and they can’t be wrong.

188. Chuck says:

I completely agree that Burke did what was best for the team, and considering the moves that were available to him, it’s the right move.

But just like front-loaded contracts, being able to dump salary in the minors or Europe makes a mockery of the salary cap, which was instituted to bring in “cost-certainty” in order to help out the teams that have to operate on smaller budgets. How does it help those teams if the richer ones can afford to bury salary and NHL-level talent, essentially buying their way out of bad management mistakes?

Now teams that can afford to will spend more: their cap money + buried contracts. That isn’t a level playing field, nor is it cost-certainty. Once again the league is back with the “haves” and the “have-not’s”.

I really believe that Fletcher came in as the caretaker hoping against all hope that he would get another chance to become Toronto’s GM. The mandate was to tank the team and get rid of the driftwood until Burke arrived. Instead, Fletcher made a series of moves that just made Burke’s job even more difficult. Believe it or not, he’s still upstairs in the laff organization pulling down some coin for doing bugger all. It’s akin to being in the Canadian Senate.

190. ed lopaz says:

I have to say its posters like you that give me hope for HIO.

Finally, someone who can step away from the B.S and understand what’s really going on in this world.

Kudos!

I love my country, that does not mean I support the present government.
    I love the Habs, that does not mean I support the present Habs management.

191. Wise Willy says:

I do not think the Habs are getting the most out of Benoit Pouliot.Why not try him at centre?He is a strong skater who moves well laterally and has a big stride.He sees all of the ice well and he is a slick passer when he senses an open man.He has the size to create havoc in front of the net when the situation calls for it.He may have to work on taking face-offs but that skill has been taught before.Up to this point he has not performed strongly as a winger so why not give a new position a try?

192. win4ce says:

I’d like to see Eller on the Gomez line rather than Moen. Eller’s a top 6 player who proved he can be effective with the Toronto game when Cammy was out. I think he needs more icetime to prove what he can really do and maybe spark some production from that line. Pouliot’s working hard and has upped his physical game which is a great sign, but right now we need production and he is as snake-bitten as they come.

193. light_n_tasty says:

So, judging by the way everyone is reacting…these lines for practice today are going to be the lines for tomorrow?

194. newbrunswick troy says:

The clock is ticking on Obyrne….he looked so scared to me last night(no confidence) especialy after panicing and throwing the puck over the glass….he needs to get physical..hit everything and gain confidence and respect that way…those are his assets

On the other hand Subban is so confident, and filled with piss and vinegar…that he,s going to make some of the “gaffs” like he did last night…to me thats ok he,ll learn what chances to take and what not to!!!I would hate to see a coach scare him into ineffectifness…..because some high risk plays he makes..do work and lead to a scoring chance!!!

195. TripleX says:

If O’Byrne made the same “youthful gaffs”  that PK did JM would banish him to the Mexican Beer League.  O’Byrne is not allowed to make mistakes and he knows it.  That is the problem.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

196. megagoten says:

people are complaining about moen on the first line yet were ready to marry JM when he did that in last year’s playoffs

197. notbigbird says:

Yes, that was considered to be JM’s brush with genius.

198. RetroMikey says:

When the team is starting to shuffle the lines and defensive pairings after the 3rd game, it tells me “oh oh we’ve got problems”.

The team is a work in progress this season IMO.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

199. light_n_tasty says:

It tells me that JM is looking for an adequate solution while our best defenceman is injured.

200. RetroMikey says:

Tells me the millionaire boys in Spacek and Gomez are not playing up to their expectations along with O’Byrne, Pouliot, etc. to name a few.

Why did we not address these concerns in more detail in training camp?  Pierre?  Bob?   Boivin Jr.?  Any answers.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

Awww… it will show them. The ever effective shake up. How about a shake up in the coaching department?

202. smiler2729 says:

Let Kirk Muller be the head coach for a week or so, now THAT would be cool.

203. TheBug30 says:

Charles L. Gare

The Canadiens are doing very well so far, but I do think they need to score a few more goals these  2-1 scores will not always hold up as good as Price has been he needs more scoring from the offence!!

204. notbigbird says:

A la Carbo. Shake up the lines and hope for magic.

205. habs4_25th says:

Bring in some youth for defense and a head shake for Martin.  Maybe even throw Eller on the top line instead of Moen.

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch. Be it yours to hold high.”

206. Harani says:

I don’t think this is bad. But Eller-Lapierre-Halpern were very good yesterday and I wouldn’t break them up. However, instead of Travis Moen, I might give Tom Pyatt a shot with Gio and Gomez!

“It must be love!”

207. SeriousFan09 says:

JM sending messages today, not expecting any of this to stick.

208. HFX-HabFan says:

Moen has actually been flying in the first few games, maybe it will give the Gomez line a shot in the arm.

209. smiler2729 says:

What is wrong with Benoit Pouliot? Maybe a 3rd line assignment might help

210. HabFanSince72 says:

Not so much a shake-up as a tweak.

Can’t say I disagree with replacing Pouliot by Moen, or O’Byrne by Picard. (Poor Ryan – he’s just not getting the hang of this is he?)

The third line is a threat, which is good. However if we need scoring late in the game how about Lappy with Gomez and Gionta?

211. TomNickle says:

Kostitsyn with Gomez and Gionta and Lapierre with Pleks and Cammy so that you don’t have Lapierre or Gionta playing the left wing.

;)