Audio: Ill Cammalleri out; Auld might start

AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Jaroslav Spacek | Scott Gomez | Brian Gionta | Mathieu Darche on Wisniewski | Lars Eller 1 | Lars Eller 2

Michael Cammalleri, still suffering from a flu bug or a gastrointestinal problem, was not at Canadiens practice this morning and will not be on the team’s charter this afternoon to New York for tomorrow night’s game against the Rangers. His status remains unclear for Wednesday’s Bell Centre game against Pittsburgh.

This has paved the way for the return to the lineup of Lars Eller, who’s been a healthy scratch the past three games. Eller practised today in Cammalleri’s spot, with Tomas Plekanec and Andrei Kostitsyn. I asked Eller after practice whether he thought he felt he had something to prove against the Rangers and he replied, “I have something to prove every game. I want to make a statement every game.”

Head coach Jacques Martin said that, with two games in two night in different cities, “don’t be surprised” to see backup goalie Alex Auld in the nets for one of the two.

Stubbs’s live updates on Twitter were here.

1. shiram says:

Well to get back on the point somewhat, I do like that those 2 bring more to interviews than just the typical hockey speech.

For example, Eller was asked if he rather play wing or center, and he answered he’d play where the team asks., where he is needed, thats a good “correct” answer, but there is no life or spunk to it.

At least Gomez and Spacek bring some of the funny.

2. mike g says:

Really?

Or is AK like that guy who does nothing at the office, but benefits from his co-workers and piggy-banks off them to look good?

Because that’s what I see. AK was good for almost a month this year, what else is new? That’s it that’s all, he’s been dead wood since November started. And he’s collected a couple of points here and there, simply because of Pleks being his centerman.

Eller has 6 points for many reasons, and it’s not because it’s a reflection of his hard work. He’s played with Pyatt, Moen, Halpern, etc…And he’s a rookie who’s playing his 1st games in this league. What do you expect from him when he plays with those types of players, plays 8 minutes per game, and is in his 1st season?

All I know is I’d expect a heck of alot more from a player like AK who plays with our 2 best forwards, plays over 17 minutes per game, plays PP minutes, and is never used in defensive situations. Every time he’s put on the ice, it’s for situations that favor offensive opportunities for him. That’s all he’s counted on, and he’s not delivering.

A player working really hard, playing AK’s minutes, and with the talent that Elller has, will succeed with Pleks and Cammy.

Ever wonder why Darche and Pouliot have been playing during crutial points of each game lately, and have been producing when playing with our top 6?

Hard work, and a will to win.

2 things that AK doesn’t have.

But if you wanna stick with a lazy worker who benefits from his linemates, that’s pretty crappy business.

When you’re paying good money to an employee and he’s grabbing his you know what and not producing for 2 months, it’s time to do something about it.

I’d rather give that opportunity to someone who I know will work much harder and is hungry to seize the opportunity, even if it means less production for some time.

Opportunity cost..

Bang for your buck…

And AK’s bang is not worth the bucks we pay him….

3. The Teacher says:

Gotta agree with you on this one Bugs, lol. February of last year is a ridiculous comparison point IMO.

However, Eller is good and does have talent and has shown good things. Denying that is JUST as ridiculous.

4. krob1000 says:

My issues weren’t really about DD….I wish him the best…my issues with not only Eller but with Subban, Pouliot,etc is that the hypocritical attitude with the vets. JM wants hard work…well he gets it every single shift from Eller, he wants a puck possession game, a physical game, a relentless game from Eller …he gets it….why then does he sit? Sure DD needed a trial by fire and rigthfully so…he did earn it…..as did Pacioretty…but what the hell have Moen and Andrei done to get the free passes repeatedly.  What does Pyatt again that Lapierre didn’t? What was it that Pk did that was so awful again? he is playing now like he was before…great …. I prefer that to the zombie JM temporarily turned him into when he first returned.  I want the best lineup iced every night …the best possible recipe for success. I don’t think creating a double standard amongst vets/kids is ok to the extreme we have seen with JM (of course vets get a little leeway but c’mon…Gomez, Andrei, Spacek, Hammer,etc….had brutal stretches with no reprecussions at all) and I don’t think that is right.  These philospohical lessons have not panned out with any of the other kids that I have seen…..Gorges matured elsewhere, Pleks didn;t play in the NHl til later, Andrei is no more consistent htahn he ahs ever been,etc….then guys like Dags, Sergei, OB, Grabs,etc…all get moved for nothing.  I just think we hav eno patience for mistakes with kids..the best experience is experience…not the press box.  2 poiints is 2 points whether in November or December or in March..so the guys who are playing well should get to play….why does Pouliot never get another chance to play on a top line? has he not earned it a couple of times this year?  I actually like him with Eller but to me putting Eller with Moena nd PYatt is completely useless.

5. VancouverHab says:

Yes, you would say that ;–)

Intangibles are not tangential to success….

6. Danno says:
    Birthplace: Recife, Brazil

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

7. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Anyone who cant see how well the kid has played is blind IMO.  But then again there are idiots here who want Kovalev back.  Differen’t strokes for differen’t folks I guess.

8. habsruleworld says:
    Robyn Regher
    Height: 6′ 3″
    Weight: 225

Shoots:

Left

Born: 19 Apr 1980
     (Age 30)
    watch him play alot, he is solid, only 30yrs old, would be an anchor for years to come.
  9. Bugs says:

I’d rather keep the guy playin with a thumb up his butt who put up 23 pts than a guy who “works really, really hard” and only has 6.

It’s just business.

Happy New Year, signed

L. Bugs Potter, esq., Herzog of ze Abominable Habsuchtig Brigade, Markgraf of ze Fearsome Flanell Flausen Flank, und devoted minion of ze Habsbros Order: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

10. Hobie Hansen says:

Regher is solid. If it worked out that our defense was Subban-Wisniewski-Regher-Gorges-Gill-Spacek next season, I’d be pretty content. It would be nice to get rid of Spacek but that’s not happening. Don’t think they’re going to throw a lot of money at markov either, someone else will though!

11. Bugs says:

No, they want Eller to represent fair value for what we traded for him.

Happy New Year, signed

12. VancouverHab says:

So, like leaven, a little levity goes a long way?

13. mike g says:

Regher is a great target….

And his contract isn’t a mess. 2 years left after this one. 4 mill cap hit. His term and cap hit are great, especially for what he brings to a team on the ice.

Getting him would be Hamrlik’s replacement next year, something we all know will happen. And Robyn comes with a cheaper cap hit, is younger, and is better.

So for me it’s a win win. Guys like him that hit the UFA market go for much more. Look at Campbell and Sourray’s contrcats.

So getting him in a trade instead of a bidding war is good.

But it will be hard, I’m sure alot of teams like him….

14. Bugs says:

An article from LAST FEB is what PROVES that folks saying Eller has done jack-all for us are wrong???

What next, gonna pull out the Russian article about Kovalev vs Carbo to show that those who’re sayin K Senior is slaggin it are wrong too?

Happy New Year, signed

15. Bugs says:

Humour hasn’t helped the leafs, and their whole ROSTER is made up of clowns, ferpetessakes.

Happy New Year, signed

16. shiram says:

Cheaper, younger, bigger blah blah last season! Yay for Price!

17. shiram says:

I guess you can say they bring intangibles!

18. 123456 says:

good thing the keeper the habs kept has betters numbers this year

19. patience is a virtue says:

Common 1000, this has been done.  Most who are paying real attention during games agree about Eller’s Pleks-plus-like potential. Where I part ways with this, as you know, is your assessment of JM’s handling of him:

1) Eller, depsite his low production so far, is progressing very well as a slick puck protecting, play making centre, which is what he will do best in the NHL.  Doesn’t look like the kinda guy who will become a scoring winger.  Not a powerful or edgy physical presence, doesn’t have the killer shot, etc.  I think the Habs org recognizes this and has decided to cultivate him as a future top 2 centre.  At some point (2012? 2013?) him and Gomez will gradually and then permanently, swap places on the depth chart.  His development will help us to build a talented third line that scores consistently.  That will be huge.

2) This situation with DD is trial by fire.  He has earned another shot by leading the AHL in points.  He will have to put up points during the next 1-3 games or the trial is over.  In the meantime, Eller just needs to be patient.

3) If DD passes (i.e. his line produces, despite the odds against them) he will get a longer look.  If he continues to produce, we will have an Eller-DD dilemma on our hands.  That’s the kind of dilemma we want to have.

20. JSP1990 says:

TFP seems to think we may be after Robyn Regher or Steve Staios. Personally I’m not sure. I wouldn’t want the Regher contract for another year after this one. Could hamper us signing Gorges or Markov. Staios only has a year left though.

21. HabFanSince72 says:

I like Eller. With any luck he’s a keeper.

Nah, he’s a forward.

Guy we gave up for him  – one hell of a keeper.

22. avatar_58 says:

I like Eller. With any luck he’s a keeper. He’s only benched to see what Desharnais can bring to a struggling team. I wish they’d use him on the wing instead of Pyatt or Moen

23. VancouverHab says:

One aspect of the current team that is very favourable for success is the humour and irreverance of two of the veterans: Gomez and Spacek–as evidenced by their media interviews.

Having that kind of irreverant levity in the dressing room from two respected and skillful veteran players will pay high dividends in tough times and long slogs.

24. shiram says:

We have a winner!

25. joeybarrie says:

Whats that? People in Montreal expect INSTANT success? They want Eller to be scoring at the same rate as Halak is stopping pucks? NO NOT MONTREAL????

I think we have alot of young talent on this team, and we are light years better than we were 10 years ago. We just have to shake this injury thing…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

26. Danno says:

*like*

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

27. patience is a virtue says:

lol

but we disagree about AK mike.  i guess i better call JM back.

28. mike g says:

Yup…

He shows much more effort, passion and constant work ethic than AK, yet Andrei is still a top 6 on this team.

I have no problem with the way JM coaches this team, he’s not perfect but he’s doing a decent job considering the talent and injuries he’s been given over the past 2 years.

But I don’t like his handling of the AK situation. JM is a coach who rewards and plays those who work hard. That’s why we’ve seen Darche and Pyatt used in certain situations like being dressed instead of Pouliot for example. And we’ve also seen him bench Benny and drop him to the 3rd line when he doesn’t move his feet enough.

But what I don’t understand is how a kid like Eller comes here and isn’t rewarded for his constant hard work. A month ago I would have flipped him and AK, and drop Andrei to the 3rd line. I don’t care about his “talent” anymore, this team is based on hard work and smart defense (not to mention solid goaltending). So dropping AK a couple of lines should be a no-brainer, the same way others get dropped or scratched when they get lazy.

But why AK hasn’t gotten that treatment surprises me. And why Eller hasn’t been given a 5-10 game stint with Pleks and Cammy boggles my mind. He may be a centerman, but the writting is on the wall. If he wants to be a top 6 on this team anytime in the next 3-4 years, he must become a winger or hope that Pleks or Gomez are gone or inactive. And both of those guys won’t be traded, and you can’t bank on injuries to get your chance.

So I say, why not play him there?

His hard work and consistent effort will surely be welcomed by Pleks and Cammy. You really think Pleks enjoys busting his as* every night, only to look to his wing and see AK doing absolutely nothing and 10 steps behind him on each play?

I think if given the chance that he’s earned, Eller can AT LEAST be a consistent factor on that line.

It might not be in the points column, but the way AK has been useless this year, any help on that line is welcome..

29. andrewberkshire says:

Great comment.

30. Kooch7800 says:

not a chance. We can’t score as is

31. The Cat says:

Comment goute ces oeufs sur ton visage? ^_^

32. Sportfan says:

Course he’ll go after cooke remember when they traded to florida they got Horton and a free pass on anything with the league aka Greg Campbell :P so Savard will get away with it haha yes i know he is disliked by the uber moronic person of Colin Campbell.

I read jack todds article today and totally agree wtih it for once haha get rid of Campbell with a side of Bettmen? please XD

33. mike g says:

Lucic has 2 points in his last 12 games…

He had a hot start to the year, and slowed down like we all knew he would. He’s not the 30 goal scorer everyone said he was going to be, and stupidly compared him to Neeley..

And regarding his ugly play, I’m referring to his sucker punch after a fight and when he pulled a Bertuzzi and punched someone behind the head 2 weeks ago. Difference was he didn’t jump the guy and smash his head on the ice.

But the punch was still there, behind the play…

And he’s usually a factor against us, and he looked invisible. He might just do something stupid just to get noticed.

It’s his style..

34. Sportfan says:

yeah hes not from Quebec haha

35. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Pretty sure he has the flu and is not travelling with the team for obvious reason’s.

36. Danno says:

Check the comments on your page Chuck!

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

37. _Habsoloutly_ says:

I pretty much agree. I love what I’ve seen from Eller.  He just hasn’t had the bounces go his way.  The kid has skills.

38. Danno says:

Dream scenario!

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

39. Chuck says:

Agreed. I like Eller, too. He’s going to be a good one.

Centre Hice: Bruins to unveil new look vs. Habs

40. Rugger says:

The one head shot that would end all head shots and solve most of the NHL’s problems would be for the Bruins to send out Campbell to hit Crosby (assuming he is playing) in the head from behind.  Colin would not suspend his son and Bettman’s head would explode.  Ken Dryden would then be announced as Commisioner.

41. HabFanSince72 says:

Marc Savard is Ontarian.

42. krob1000 says:

HEre ia an article about Eller from Feb of last year…probably been posted here before but it kills me when people claim he ahs done nothing and shown us nothing.  I am more enthusiastc about Eller than I am about Leblanc, Pacioretty, Palushaj, Kristo, Timordi,etc.  The only other “prospect” that ranks higher to me is Subban.  Eler has no issues at all with the physicality in the NHL…he is a great passer, works hard and is fearless…..he is more of a playmaker than a scorer which makes it hard to put up points with Pyatt and Moen.  His only real opportunity with skilled playesrs was very brief and out of position on the wing…as it will be again tonight.  What did he do with the lemons we gave him…he made lemonade and played his role fantastically.  Ironically an organizationa nd fanbase that has being crying for size up themiddle instead gives Desharnais pp time right away, and views him as a better option…at 24 years old?  Eller is a great prospect, NHl speed, NHl size, NHl size, NHL attitude, NHL skill……..before someone posts 2 goals and 4 assists……let’s look at Pacioretty’s statsor even POuliot’s for huge stretches between their little hot streaks that were achieved on top lines…..anyone who is not enthusiastic about Eller to me has  separation issues and should see a shrink to see if their lack of Halak can be cured.

43. HabFanSince72 says:

Cammi suspiciously pulled from the game and left back in Montreal.

Trade coming?

44. Mattyleg says:

Oh yeah! Just remembered:

I’m surprised to see that the media here hasn’t gone ballistic over the image of Marc Savard lustily bawling out The Star Spangled Banner along with Claude Prevost-Linton as the camera swept past the bench.

Who’da thunk a good ol’ Quebecois homeboy could turn into a horn-honkin’-flag-wavin’-anthem-singin’ U-S-A-er?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

45. HabFanSince72 says:

Thornton is the B’s goon, and he’s already danced with Cooke.

Lucic is the Bruins top scorer by the way.

46. mike g says:

Well said…

47. mike g says:

Well, I hope so!

He’s played vs NYI, TOR, FLA and ATL…

IMO, one out of those 4 teams is of playoff calibur.

But I don’t think playing him vs NYR is smart, we need those 2 pts too much.

Play him vs PIT, and if we lose it doesn’t matter as much as tomorrow….

If we win, it’s a bonus.

48. mike g says:

I highly doubt Savard himslef does anything…

I don’t even think he can beat a hamster in a fight.

But, if the game gets chippy, I would bet on Lucic causing some sort of stupidity again. He’s had a rough season so far offensively, and the only time he’s made the news recently has been for his ugly plays.

I’d expect maybe a fight, probably nothing more.

And if I’m Julien, I try avoid putting Lucic out there when Cooke is on the ice. The Bruins have been playing terrible hockey lately and blowing games. The last thing you want is Lucic going out there and doing something stupid, which is totally possible. IMO, Julien should concentrate on playing a solid game, get the win, and get the heck out of PIT. No stupid stuff, nothing. Everyone is calling for him to get fired in Boston.

So if he wants to save his job, the win is more important than settling a score from a year ago.

And in the end, the win is always more important than a big hit to a 3rd liner…

49. CHasman says:

I think we could get a good game out of Auld but personally I’d prefer to keep Carey in the nets.  He’s been playing better lately so let him stay in there and build his confidence.

I’m also happy to see Eller playing again.  He’s one of the young guys that bring energy to the game.  Hopefully he’ll get some more ice time playing with Pleks tomorrow.  I wouldn’t be surprised to see the line click with him on it.  I’ve got nothing against Cammy but his playmaking has been dreadful and he seems more afraid of traffic this year.

Darche and Pouiot have made good lines with Halpern at center and then also with Eller.  Now they’re making a solid combo with DD so I’m confident that JM will separate them soon as well. Two players are common in all those line combinations so they should be split as soon as possible before they really get some chemistry going.  Sorry, but JM did split up the aforementioned lines so I couldn’t help taking a shot.

With three wins and no regulation losses in four straight games I’m really pulling for a big win tomorrow to keep the momentum going.  It will be interesting to see how the team builds off the huge come from behind win over the Bruins.

50. andrewberkshire says:

In all 4 games Auld has played, we’ve definitely had a chance to win.

51. mike g says:

Still…

That guy is incredible. He’s the sole reason why NYR are where they are today. My best friend is a huge Rangers fan, and used to be a very good goaler himself, so he follows Henrik alot and we watch some games together.

And he’s just insane. Is he beatable? Sure, but it’s not easy. You just don’t score cheap goals on him like Thomas allows. Every goal that Henrik lets it is worked for…

IMO, he’s been the best goalie in the NHL over the past 5 seasons overall. Ryan Miller is 2nd.

So, I’d still go with Price tomorrow.

Best vs best in a playoff spot matchup. And even if Biron is in nets, which I highly doubt, I’d still go with our best.

Take the 2 pts no matter what, and then hope for a win vs the Pens…

52. Rudy says:

I hope “Cookie” gets pummelled
    But the Pens still win (ugh I hate typing that)

“Start the season with a clean equipment bag and a freah bucket of febreze!”-CharlieHodgeFan

53. SLONCOLD says:

i didn’t know that HIO was a place for Flu experts :-p

Pens and Booinz are playing tonight… will Savard be going after Cooke?

55. HabFanSince72 says:

We own Lundqvist though. Even worse than TimTom.

56. mike g says:

Already done….

And I also told him to “forget” AK at the airport this afternoon, and tell him that the flight is delayed until tomorrow morning, and to wait there overnight…

Apparently he had absolutely no facial reaction, just looked around, and then sat down again..

57. patience is a virtue says:

Good arguments.  I was undecided, but your points about Lundqvist and their home record convinced me.

Now, all that’s left to decide is which one of us calls JM.  You up?

58. adam76 says:

Agree 100%, the kid is not a top 6 NHL forward.

59. patience is a virtue says:

a) Ramo is not going to arrive in the NHL and challenge for the starter job right away.

b) If Price is still having confidence issues by the time Ramo is ready to challenge (2012-2013), then maybe we will want a challenger.  But I highly doubt that will be the case – I think Carey is the real deal, a top 5 NHL goalie, and this season will consolodate that (or not).

c) Bring Ramo over, if he is interested, let him play 20-25 games next season, if he is able, and trade him if his value is high, or keep him as a back up if that suits him and the Habs.

60. mike g says:

If I’m coach, Price MUST be in nets vs NYR…

Here are my reasons:

1- Lundqvist: He will surely be in nets vs us, so you can bet it will be a tough game for our forwards to score, especially without Cammy. And if the Rangers throw their top dog in nets, we HAVE to do the same thing.

2- Playoff spot: The Rangers are fighting for a spot just like us, so there’s no need to give them a pass by throwing in our backup. Teams don’t do that to us, so why should we do it to them. The Pens aren’t fighting with us, they’re much higher in the standings, and losing to them isn’t as big as losing to NYR. IMO, you have to beat the teams you’re fighting with every chance you get. You can’t lose ground to them. If you then lose against a top team like PIT, so be it. At least you beat a team in the same boat as you and took away 2 pts from them in the standings.

3- No home-ice advantage: The Rangers are not a good home team, their road record is incredible and is what is helping them keep pace for a plyoff spot. And that in my eyes is even more of a reason why you have to take advantage of this game and beat them where they don’t have much success. Use every opportunity you can get to beat them, and turn it into our advantage.

So, those are my reasons for starting Price tomorrow, and Auld against PIT….

61. mike g says:

Hedberg was a #1 in PIT and ATL…

And last year with ATL, he helped them almost make the playoffs. And both of those teams aren’t known for their defensive play.

In a defensive system like ours, he can do the job.

I wouldn’t judge him this year, everyone in NJ gets a pass this year for their stats. Heck, even Ilya is having a terrible year, and he has scored 40+ goals in 5 consecutive years if I’m not mistaken.

Anyways, not saying getting another backup is a must. All I’m saying is that confidence-wise, Auld doesn’t really equal the strongest value. And when our #1 needs rest in the middle of a playoff spot run, having full confidence in your backup is key.

Maybe the Habs do have confidence in him, I can’t say. But IMO, I don’t.

I just don’t think that Auld gives us a chance to win on a nightly basis….

62. mike g says:

I said that because he wasn’t screened…

If there actually were people infront of him and stopping him from seeing the puck, trust me a Habs player would’ve hit the puck with their hand and pushed it out of the way. That’s how slow the shot was…

Any defenseman woulkd have simply batted the puck away with their hand. It wasn’t even a shot, it was a lob.

And you can’t let in a softie like that from the point with no traffic infront. He lost sight of the puck, and it ended up in our net.

63. usversusthem says:

Never change, Bugs. Never change.

64. andrewberkshire says:

Roloson wouldn’t have fit in this dressing room. He’s a known malcontent and he bitches constantly when not getting starts.

65. krob1000 says:

Quite the playmaker too, reads the play well, has size, isn;t afraid to go to the net…could he be the power forward we have been looking for? I think Price should probably stay in the middle of the rink and play center…put Subban on the wing with Wiz.  Moen can play D. Pleks can be our Tobias Enstrom at the point. This organization has to restart thinking things.

66. andrewberkshire says:

Hedberg has to be one of the most overrated backup goaltenders in history. I hear he’s great in the room, but the one thing you look for in a goaltender more than anything is consistency, and that’s something Hedberg has never had. He’s either brilliant, or embarrassingly ECHL quality. He’s only had a single statistically good year since the lockout, and only 3 seasons out of 10 that his save percentage has been above .900. Auld is superior in his career in every single category, and he’s also younger than Hedberg.

67. savethepuck says:

I would be very surprised not to see Price start v the Rangers, They are 4 pts ahead of us and ew have a game in hand on them.  I will wait for them to post the audio from JM before I consider his statement on Auld maybe starting one of these games.

68. Psycho29 says:

I like Auld, but Roloson would have been a good backup here also…

69. REB says:

Carle has proven (albeit in a short call up) that he is as ready for the NHL as Weber and PK…he just can’t stay injury free for more than 5 minutes.  Nash is another one, who is closer to ready that Tinordi.

70. REB says:

Frankly, I don’t want Ramo as the backup.  Ramo has the skills, talent and age to be a legitimate starter.  With him as backup, we have Price-Halak (part 2) controversy, and also have no idea how the presence of serious competition will affect Price’s game.  we know what happened to his game last year, and how it has improved significantly since Halak was traded.

That said, I wouldn’t get rid of Ramo.  He is a good insurance option, in case Price leaves come UFA, or gets scooped as an RFA.

71. Fant-HAB-ulous says:

I’d really like to see Price up front. He’s got a great shot and amazing stickhandling skills. With Auld starting one game this week, I think we should use that opportunity to put Price on the Pleks/Ak46 line. He’s got the size we’ve been lacking and wishing for.

;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

72. F Bomb says:

I’m hoping we can win 2 / 3 games this week!  That will keep us at the top of the decision and put pressure on Carolina and below us and Atlanta above us.  Its remarkable to watch continued success throughout all of the injuries.  Make the best of your opportunity Eller and score a couple of goals!!! Ole Ole Ole

73. savethepuck says:

Way too many hockey fans don’t realize how extremely important it is for the goalie to see the puck leaving the stick. A goalie is reacting and already making the save before it leaves the stick.  Read that in a book by Dave Dryden when I was a kid.