Audio: Ill Cammalleri out; Auld might start

AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Jaroslav Spacek | Scott Gomez | Brian Gionta | Mathieu Darche on Wisniewski | Lars Eller 1 | Lars Eller 2

Michael Cammalleri, still suffering from a flu bug or a gastrointestinal problem, was not at Canadiens practice this morning and will not be on the team’s charter this afternoon to New York for tomorrow night’s game against the Rangers. His status remains unclear for Wednesday’s Bell Centre game against Pittsburgh.

This has paved the way for the return to the lineup of Lars Eller, who’s been a healthy scratch the past three games. Eller practised today in Cammalleri’s spot, with Tomas Plekanec and Andrei Kostitsyn. I asked Eller after practice whether he thought he felt he had something to prove against the Rangers and he replied, “I have something to prove every game. I want to make a statement every game.”

Head coach Jacques Martin said that, with two games in two night in different cities, “don’t be surprised” to see backup goalie Alex Auld in the nets for one of the two.

Stubbs’s live updates on Twitter were here.

1. andrewberkshire says:

Ryan Miller has a Vezina trophy in his closet and is a proven #1 goaltender. What’s Halak again?

2. Bugs says:

Yes, yes, and rather this and rather that over rather such and rather not and if I say this, it means I mean that, and everything else you can come up with to get away from the fact that AK has put 23 pts with a thumb up his butt over hard-working Eller who’s put up 6.

That means, that I am alllll about laziness and stinking and I want players who want to lose all the time and who hate Jesus, yes, Mikey, that’s what that means. Indeed.., sir, “you got it.”

(sigh)

Happy New Year, signed

L. Bugs Potter, esq., Herzog of ze Abominable Habsuchtig Brigade, Markgraf of ze Fearsome Flanell Flausen Flank, und devoted minion of ze Habsbros Order: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

3. andrewberkshire says:

I’d say he’s more than fair value for a goalie with the 23rd best save% in the NHL.

4. Bugs says:

Well, considering Ryan Miller is 22nd, maybe we could get him for Andrew Conboy.

Right? According to your value chart, yes?

Happy New Year, signed

5. _Habsoloutly_ says:

“instead of basing our faith on certain prognosticators’ ability to see “the great future” that Eller represents.”

So whats your point? No more drafting or trading for draft picks?  According to you we should just do away with youngsters in the game all-together and stick with overpaid veterans who are invisible more often than they perform?  Utter nonsense varmint.

6. Psycho29 says:

I did not know that….I guess getting only 3 or 4 starts by January 1st would have made him even more unhappy!

7. andrewberkshire says:

8. mike g says:

Ok, so use that logic, fine..

I guess that means you’d rather have Loui Eriksson on your team instead of Ovechkin, Staal, Kopitar, Getzlaf, Backstrom, Heatley, Nash, Toews, Kane and Malkin.

Because Loui is leading all of those players in point production this year.

Or you’d rather have the Wiz on our team instead of Shea Webber and Keith, because the Wiz also has more points than them…

That’s a terrible way of operating a business. Terrible strategy.

Points is not the way to evaluate a player.

Claude Giroux had 27 points 2 years ago playing constantly on the 3rd line. And I’m guessing if you were in charge of the Flyers, you would’ve kept Simon Gagne on the team instead of moving up Giroux and watching him blossom into an excellent player, simply judging by Gagne’s point totals compared to those of Giroux…

Ok, got ya..

Now I know why you favor the lazy AK with no heart over a young player like Eller who cares.

Got it….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

9. Bugs says:

Oh, it’s just you, Teach. Or else I woulda said the same about Soobie.

Good. I’m done with this witness, Your Honor.

Happy New Year, signed

10. JF says:

Unfortunately we haven’t played well at Madison Square Gardens in recent years.  I believe our last victory there goes back to the game two years ago when Robert Lang scored a hat trick.  We lost both our games there last season, one of them 6-2 after taking a 2-0 lead in the first period.

11. NoTinFoilCups says:

You make good points. #2 especially. If we take both games against them this week we could leapfrog them in the standings.

12. Bugs says:

Nonsense.

Gomie has as many goals as Eller has pts. Gomie cannot be sent down to the minors like Eller can. We saw Gomie perform when it was all on the line WITH OUR OWN EYES instead of basing our faith on certain prognosticators’ ability to see “the great future” that Eller represents.

Yes, Abso, how…hypocritical indeed.

(shakes head) Spare us the melodrama, mate.

Happy New Year, signed

13. JSP1990 says:

All of you are right. Regher is a heck of a d-man. I didn’t think about Hammer’s contract being up. In that case let’s get this done! I know he’s solid, I try to watch as much Western hockey as I can, And you guys are right. He would be a great replacement. But what do we have to give up to get him?

14. shiram says:

I meant no disrespect to Eller, the example is him because I only listened to his audio files on here.

15. The Teacher says:

Hey, I agree with you pretty much, I’m just saying a prospect report or article on him from last year doesn’t really speak to much.

The 40 games we have seen him play til now IS a good comparison point and I agree that he has played very well and is showing much more inititative offensively lately and deserves a look on the top 2 lines.

16. Bugs says:

Forgive me, Krobbie, but I have NO idea what you’re saying. Could I ask you to construct a proper sentence, please?
    Happy New Year, signed

17. The Teacher says:

How about the intangibles regarding their ages, salary and experience, lol.

18. VancouverHab says:

Well said.

Perhaps when Eller is a grizzled veteran he’ll be lively in interviews.

19. The Teacher says:

I dunno if it’s just me Bugs, but lately all your posts are remindind me of the Habs for the last 17 years. No patience and improper developement of youngsters. If there is no PRODUCTION, GET RID OF THEM AAAARRRGHGHHHGHHHHHGHG PUNCH IMLACH STYLE.

I am of the opinion that Desi and Eller should BOTH be getting a shot at CONSISTENT top 6 minutes. Some guys are not producing right now, give them less minutes hopefully at a higher intensity and give a shot to the young guys. If all the veterans are so called “team players” why not give it a shot? For the coach and management, it is either better problems to deal with, or the same ones. Win-win in my view.

20. 123456 says:

also would have $7M + tied up in goalies

21. _Habsoloutly_ says:

I love this place.  When Gomez stinks it up, the mantra is “hey, point production isn’t everything you know, he has intangibles.”  Yet that same mantra doesn’t seem to apply to Eller?  Should change the name of this place to Hypocrite’s Inside/Out.

22. RJB says:

Winner, well said Mike G!!!

“I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”
    - Bilbo Baggins

23. Bugs says:

Hey, man, maybe it’s because of gamma rays from the planet Ubligon that are making AK put up points, I don’t care.

One has 23 and one has 6. That’s not my fault. That’s what it is.

I’ll take the 23, please. Just business.

Happy New Year, signed

24. krob1000 says:

Comparison with Feb? are you guys out to lunch? I have seen the kid play nearly 40 games since Feb…that is my comparison. I copied the article to reiterate how high the Blues were onhim, what they thought his potential was too and the fact that despite him not being a household name…Eller is a huge prospect and the Blues did not want to give him up.  Halak is still not doing any more than PRice either..and tehre can be only one goalie, people have repeatedly posted the low returns for goalies on trade over the eyars, we gained cap space, gave the better goalie IMO confidence, addressed a glaring organizational need in size/skill at center.  I think it was a great trade for everyone Halak gets his deserved role, we get a kid who is affordable and should ripen right around when we need him to etc.  Nowhere and I mean nowhere is there a “comparison” to Feb and now….that is just letting putting into perspective Eller view from within…they didn’t trade a kid they wanted to let go. I have seen 40 games or so of Eller and I am convinced it was a great trade for us in the long run.

25. Sportfan says:

Robyn Regher on our Team I would love it ! He’s my 2nd fav flame ! number 1 being Iginla man have him would be great on our team i wouldnt be worried about the contract since Hammer would be gone after this season man someone tell PG to do this trade now haha

26. The Teacher says:

At the beginning, putting Eller with Moen and Pyatt and Darche, et al. was fine, but now he is showing good things on the ice offensively, and agree that he should get the shot he seems to now be getting.

I have to agree with you in that I don’t see Martin’s strategy paying off, but am still willing to give him the benefit of the doubt given the success of MANY players who have developed under his watch on other teams.

The Subban thing is what got my goat. I think he was handled completely the wrong way. His rebound is only a testament to his great skating, fine defensive play, willingness to learn and battle, and being a source of energy for his team.

How he has not really received prime powerplay time in the games before the Bruin game was mind-boggling to me. Seeing Weber and the Wize constantly goofing was highly irrirtating to say the least.

27. Bugs says:

Who’s sayin he’s not playing well? He’s playing well. Tom Pyatt is playing well too.

Fortunately for Tom, we don’t hold it against him for being unproductive on the scoresheet cuz that’s not his mandate.

You wanna make Eller into a shut-down, 4th line checker; it’s a different story altogether, but last I checked that one-sided trade, we were assured his mandate was to become a top-6 offensive player, and top-6 means PRODUCTION, no matter how you slice it. “Playing well” is just not good enough, I’m afraid.

Now, Dezzy has his shot at a top-6 spot and if he ain’t cut out for it either, guess what? He’ll be replaced too. No matter how “well he plays”.

Happy New Year, signed

28. krob1000 says:

then I guess we should have Grabs and Sergei along withthe 10 million in cap space  instead of Gomez and Gio….but you are upset about Halak? Why not constant knocking ocf Cammi, Gio and Gomez …they are not poroducinng….and they are playing pp and top minutes with top linemates…turning pucks over like pacakes…but they are vets I guess

29. NoTinFoilCups says:

hmmm. Rumor has it that he is a little “cranky” this year. Not sure if that is real or perceived. No doubt that is overall performance is below his usual standard.

That begs the question are there any other teams with similarly under performing $6 million dollar forwards out there looking to swap. They have to be far and few between.