Audio: Hossa on trade-deadline madness

Marian Hossa
Maybe or maybe not a Thrasher tomorrow night

Marian Hossa of the Atlanta Thrashers speaks at the Bell Centre this afternoon, commenting that he knows he’s in "a hockey city."

He says he tries his best to separate hockey from business when he’s on the ice, talks about the welcome that awaited him today in Montreal, the general madness of the NHL trade deadline, his brother Marcel’s famous hockey gloves, about whether he’s already played his last game as a Thrasher, and more.

Hossa hasn’t strayed far from his team’s hotel in Montreal, for obvious reasons…

1. rogus says:

What in god’s name is a Foppa? And why would someone like Forsberg let people call him such a ridiculous name? Anyways, I have to laugh at this signing. He just said less than a week ago how he wasn’t ready to come back, and everyone was like, “oh Foppa’s classy, he could have duped anyone into paying him while he’s hurt”…ya real classy, FOPPA.

2. sag says:

All you guys reading Eklund – Switch to Spector’s Trade Rumours. He has been around long enough to be cynical about the silly ones Eklund tries to sell you on, yet connected enough to be informed on lots of info. Good PEI boy to boot!

3. Shiloh says:

This is my first comment regarding the possibility of getting Hossa. I really like the idea of getting this player but I worry that we will all be so let down if it doesn’t happen. We should remember that if Hossa goes elsewhere we will have the cap space and the opportunity to scoop an impact player in the off season.

4. rogus says:

If we could re-sign Campbell at a reasonable cost I’d trade him for Streit. It would have to be straight across though. Too many if’s in that train of thought.

5. mrstewart61 says:

and yvon pednault now

6. Bill H says:

We trade Streit, and then resign him? Not likely. By doing that we risk losing him for good without adding a permanent player to the roster unless we sign Campbell to an extension as part of the package. Campbell would be a great addition, but Streit and “whoever else” for a UFA is too steep a price.

7. sidhu says:

Yeah, he has a subscribers section. It’s funny how he fell for the Kessel rumor that PJ Stock made up. It shows that he’s a joke. Any one of us could start a site just like that and develop some creative trade rumors to get people excited. He’s taking advantage of passionate fans who want inside information on their teams and the league.

8. ZepFan2 says:

I’ll see your 4 games and raise you another 5.

9. wd40 says:

H I/O POLL: Will Hossa be a Hab before the end of the NHL Trading Deadline?

(repost: looks pretty evenly split so far…)

10. Scotty90 says:

Eklund!!!…….

11. HABSMANIA says:

people pay for his “predictions” wow

12. Joe Habsfan says:

I do agree that he is often wrong and that is why I don’t subscribe to any off his extras however he has been right before…he was the first one to post the Ryan Smyth trade last year…

13. sanj91 says:

Eklund is reporting a rumor that Campbell may be on his way to Montreal. Based on the Ek meter it was an E4 out of E5…meaning it came from multiple sources involved in the action…I feel this may be Streit’s replacement on the powerplay…If he does come, our powerplay will be that much better and I have a feeling he might play 2nd line with Hamrlik…with him, we could trade Streit and whoever else (I won’t name anyone because there are varying reports) to Atlanta for Hossa. Then in the summer, Campbell can leave (or stay?) and we can re-sign Streit (or not, if Campbell stays lol)…Anyways, that’s just what came to mind when I saw the rumor…

14. sidhu says:

Yeah I agree, it’s unreal. The guy hasn’t predicated any trades and always writes in equivocal terms like – “it’s heating up” “it’s a possibility” “I’m hearing that” “stay tuned”. Shame on those who subscribe to his paid services, and shame on the legitimate journalists (Pang, Clement, et al.) who have joined his site and given this joker some credibility.

15. showey47 says:

Sabres trading campbell to a divisional rival? If this happened i would think he would be flipped to either atlanta or san jose. But eklund is about as reliable as a broken condom.(E5)

16. HABSMANIA says:

WOW People are still quoting this guy? Has he ever been right? I mean to think this guy makes money by doing this WOW

17. Jonnyboy says:

what a lame trade deadline.

i hope i have to eat these words tomorrow

18. showey47 says:

no, i go through this every year. Its been too quiet though, usually there are about half a dozen players put on waivers the day before to either clear some salary space or roster spots. But nothing, weird.

19. Joe Habsfan says:

Eklund has an E4 Campbell to the Habs

20. king ddd says:

avoid including higgins, o’byrne,sk#74, georges or streit in the deal for HOSSA

21. HKisses says:

ahhhh right… misread ur last post…hmm yea good idea too… Mannnn i dont know about you guys ,but this is the first time in my Habs fan history i’ve been glued to the computer to be the first to see if their has been a trade…Damn this is crazy and its making me go insane …Am I the only one feeling this way?

22. HABSMANIA says:

What an exciting trade deadline!!!! lol

23. tony d says:

this morning I shot a moose in my pajamas…. how it got into my pajamas, Ill never know
    (tribute to the late Groucho)

24. showey47 says:

I wouldn’t be trading huet to atlanta, i would be using him to bring in other assets to use in this trade. Hence causing minimal damage to our own roster and prospects.

25. tony d says:

so on Canadiens.com, Dandenault says in addition to Gainey, they’re are 21,000 other general managers at the Bell Centre… I guess that includes most of us, since many of us have attended games there…ergo, I am now an associate general manager of the Habs…… HOW COME HOSSA WON’T TAKE MY CALLS??????
    Damn it, I demand some respect around here….. hmmmm….wonder when they’ll retire my jersey?…it’s stinking up my basement

26. moser17 says:

You’d need to add Huet or a first rounder.

27. showey47 says:

i wouldn’t trade obyrne, but if atlanta wanted a young dman i would try to use huet in a trade with another team in order to bring in other assets to help close this deal.

28. wd40 says:

H I/O POLL: Will Hossa be a Hab before the end of the NHL Trading Deadline?

29. HKisses says:

This is what i would do….(Don’t get mad) Ryder,Obyrne,3rd round pick for Hossa…. Put Dandy back on defence(avoid Brisbois)

30. Richard says:

It IS Wadell’s choice, but Hossa can say which team he will be willing to sign with next year, meaning that Atlanta can earn more off conditionals. That puts some (not all) power back to Hossa.

A team will give more for a real trade than for a rental. Hossa chooses which he will be thus driving the demand that Wadell chooses from.

31. wild flower says:

If I was making offers for a player, the quality of the offer would be contingent on the likelihood of his signing to a longer term. Therefore, his choice does matter in determining the offers received.

32. A. Berke says:

Good recovery and I agree with you.

That is my story too and I’m sticking to it! 😉

Cheers,

Ali B.

33. showey47 says:

no kidding, we don’t need another 2 month collapse like last season. We need to put some distance between us and ninth.Our last 8 games are against division rivals with 2 of the last 4 against the laffs. I really don’t want them to decide our fate again this year.

34. Steiner says:

Lets just hope the practice facilities collapse isn’t an omen for the remained of the season!

35. moser17 says:

admittedly, ducks would be easier than fish. Of course, it depends on the size of the barrel. And the ducks. And the fish. :)

36. showey47 says:

yup, nice to see him not go to the sens or flyers. West is good

Perfect – he’s in the other conference.

The Original 24 Cups

38. Y says:

Foppa’s signed with the Avs

39. Scotty90 says:

good pick up Dave!

40. Scotty90 says:

thats a possibility…. I haven’t heard of anyone from the Bulldogs being called though! They would have to make it all public tonight to give the back-up time to do the 401 trip.

41. moser17 says:

He’s going to Atlanta to mentor Lehtonen.

42. Dave Stubbs says:

Ducks in a barrel? Is that anything like fish in a shooting gallery?

Dave Stubbs

Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette

43. A. Berke says:

Re: Huet
    It’s a distinct possibility IMO.

Ali B.

44. mjames says:

Guaranteed he bombs unless he has really improved his one legged skating.

mjames

45. A. Berke says:

Let’s also be mindful of which players Waddell is going to ask for in return.
    If Atlanta gets too greedy, the deal may not go through (even though you seem to have the inside track).

Gainey is doing his best in GOOD FAITH but is not going to get rid of the farm just to get one player (however good he may be).

Cheers,

Ali B.

46. moser17 says:

The Habs’ practice facility collapsed when it heard that Hossa was coming to town.

47. Mike T says:

It’s not Hossa’s decision right now. It’s the best offer Waddell gets. I wouldn’t encourage Gainey to make a trade if he has to give up too much.

Anyone think Price starting Tuesday is an indication of Huet moving before the deadline?

48. mjames says:

I do not want Houssa for the sake of getting Houssa. Why overpay??????? Can you explain that logic

mjames

49. wild flower says:

yah..I doubt he would ever even consider warm weather and playing with Thornton or Ribiero.

50. Scotty90 says:

well maybe Laps can dance for him in the dressing room tomorrow night :)

51. coutNY says:

It makes me think that he is still uncertain his foot is 100% but they were willing to take a chance because he is with a familar team that won’t put unrealistic expectations on him or make him feel obligated to push it beyond his limits because of a large investment in him? Only coming back for the year…

52. Scotty90 says:

There is no other hockey city like Montreal anywhere in the world. He is going to excel here in Montreal, … and the rest of the team are going to bring it all up a notch as well. Man, if his line becomes competitive with Plek’s line, and the other two lines join in the fun… ole ole ole…ole ole..

53. petemoss says:

Montreal is his choice? Excuse me, how do you know that? Have you talked to Hossa yourself? Let’s say we don’t get Hossa, is that Gainey’s fault? Are you going to be one of the people calling for Gainey’s head if we lose on tuesday, and we don’t have a superstar added to our lineup?
    Shooting ducks in a barrel? Are you kidding me??????? Do you have any idea how these things work…..

54. moser17 says:

er … it was a collapse of joy

55. nick says:

Considering the language the interview is being conducted in is second for both sides, i wouldn’t count on taking to heart all the little nuances…

As all Hossa was thinking was… how can i get rid of all these freakin media guys so i can go get lap dance(s)!

56. nick says:

Found it, thanks!

57. showey47 says:

tsn and xm 204

58. Scotty90 says:

Listened to the audio again…. one reporter asks … is it on your mind right now that you may have had your last practice with this team? Hossa answered “ah..well you know thats a possibility and i was ready for it….” I was ready for it… that says to me that its reality… he has had his last practice with them! He could have answered ‘i have to be ready…’ Could be a language thing though… but don’t think so!

59. moser17 says:

TSN.ca:

“He was dealt to the Predators at the trade deadline for Scottie Upshall, Ryan Parent and first and third-round draft picks in 2007.”

60. Habs64 says:

Foppa is back!!

61. showey47 says:

forsberg just joined colorado avalanche for the remaining of the season

62. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

well…don’t go to far….you have to draw the line somewhere!
    ———
    1. Feb 19, 2008 – History was made.
    1. ONLY BELIVEAU CAN CONVINCE LECAVALIER…
    2. Thank GOD we have Alex Kovalev…..at his PRIME
    3. The BELL CENTRE should be rebuilt to sit 80,000 fans
    4. We will win the CUP

63. Scotty90 says:

we could then get Nikko Koivu! Latendresse’s brother was picked-up by Montreal last week!! Does Breezer have a brother?

64. teamplayer says:

they cut the audio too early, the next question started off “they were chanting your name saturday night..” and thats the end of the clip, wouldve liked to hear his answer on that one. sounded like a good question to put him on the spot

65. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

not only should we get HOSSA…but we should trade a pick for his brother also….

never could figure out why we let him go…ton of talent and young…

imagine 2 sets of brothers…we would be untouchable…again…
    ———
    1. Feb 19, 2008 – History was made.
    1. ONLY BELIVEAU CAN CONVINCE LECAVALIER…
    2. Thank GOD we have Alex Kovalev…..at his PRIME
    3. The BELL CENTRE should be rebuilt to sit 80,000 fans
    4. We will win the CUP

66. saku11 says:

I hope he comes here. Despite some poor playoff performances, I think he’d be the perfect sniper to play on Koivu’s wing.

67. ccs says:

Just imagine Koivu playing with someone who can finish by putting the puck in the net. Bob promised Koivu that he would get someone to help him out, well he has less than 24 hours to do so. I really hope that Hossa will be playing for us on Tuesday. GO HABS GO.

68. Proudones says:

Thanks again for posting this.

69. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

HOSSA AUDIO

says when he arrives at the rink he thinks only of hockey…not trade.

he knows montreal is the HOT SPOT and is targeting him.

says that its a hockey city, great place to play but he can’t comment further….(i guess so!)

He is ready to come to Montreal or stay and ride out the UFA market.

he also says he pays too much money to his agent!

and he comments that its good to hear the support from the Montreal fans…BUT he is still a THRASHER
    ———
    1. Feb 19, 2008 – History was made.
    1. ONLY BELIVEAU CAN CONVINCE LECAVALIER…
    2. Thank GOD we have Alex Kovalev…..at his PRIME
    3. The BELL CENTRE should be rebuilt to sit 80,000 fans
    4. We will win the CUP

70. HKisses says:

Clearly false info…I was told the contractor’s name is John Ferguson

71. Rocket9 says:

Hossa doesn’t have a no-trade clause does he? If he doesn’t, then it doesn’t matter what his choice is. He goes to whater team gives Waddell the best offer.

72. HKisses says:

yea but Waddel has clearly stated his goaltending is no issue…But good points guys !