Audio: Hossa on trade-deadline madness

Marian Hossa
Maybe or maybe not a Thrasher tomorrow night

Marian Hossa of the Atlanta Thrashers speaks at the Bell Centre this afternoon, commenting that he knows he’s in "a hockey city."

He says he tries his best to separate hockey from business when he’s on the ice, talks about the welcome that awaited him today in Montreal, the general madness of the NHL trade deadline, his brother Marcel’s famous hockey gloves, about whether he’s already played his last game as a Thrasher, and more.

Hossa hasn’t strayed far from his team’s hotel in Montreal, for obvious reasons…

1. sag says:

All you guys reading Eklund – Switch to Spector’s Trade Rumours. He has been around long enough to be cynical about the silly ones Eklund tries to sell you on, yet connected enough to be informed on lots of info. Good PEI boy to boot!

2. Shiloh says:

This is my first comment regarding the possibility of getting Hossa. I really like the idea of getting this player but I worry that we will all be so let down if it doesn’t happen. We should remember that if Hossa goes elsewhere we will have the cap space and the opportunity to scoop an impact player in the off season.

3. rogus says:

If we could re-sign Campbell at a reasonable cost I’d trade him for Streit. It would have to be straight across though. Too many if’s in that train of thought.

4. mrstewart61 says:

and yvon pednault now

5. Bill H says:

We trade Streit, and then resign him? Not likely. By doing that we risk losing him for good without adding a permanent player to the roster unless we sign Campbell to an extension as part of the package. Campbell would be a great addition, but Streit and “whoever else” for a UFA is too steep a price.

6. sidhu says:

Yeah, he has a subscribers section. It’s funny how he fell for the Kessel rumor that PJ Stock made up. It shows that he’s a joke. Any one of us could start a site just like that and develop some creative trade rumors to get people excited. He’s taking advantage of passionate fans who want inside information on their teams and the league.

7. ZepFan2 says:

I’ll see your 4 games and raise you another 5.

8. wd40 says:

H I/O POLL: Will Hossa be a Hab before the end of the NHL Trading Deadline?

(repost: looks pretty evenly split so far…)

9. Scotty90 says:

Eklund!!!…….

10. HABSMANIA says:

people pay for his “predictions” wow

11. Joe Habsfan says:

I do agree that he is often wrong and that is why I don’t subscribe to any off his extras however he has been right before…he was the first one to post the Ryan Smyth trade last year…

12. sanj91 says:

Eklund is reporting a rumor that Campbell may be on his way to Montreal. Based on the Ek meter it was an E4 out of E5…meaning it came from multiple sources involved in the action…I feel this may be Streit’s replacement on the powerplay…If he does come, our powerplay will be that much better and I have a feeling he might play 2nd line with Hamrlik…with him, we could trade Streit and whoever else (I won’t name anyone because there are varying reports) to Atlanta for Hossa. Then in the summer, Campbell can leave (or stay?) and we can re-sign Streit (or not, if Campbell stays lol)…Anyways, that’s just what came to mind when I saw the rumor…

13. sidhu says:

Yeah I agree, it’s unreal. The guy hasn’t predicated any trades and always writes in equivocal terms like – “it’s heating up” “it’s a possibility” “I’m hearing that” “stay tuned”. Shame on those who subscribe to his paid services, and shame on the legitimate journalists (Pang, Clement, et al.) who have joined his site and given this joker some credibility.

14. showey47 says:

Sabres trading campbell to a divisional rival? If this happened i would think he would be flipped to either atlanta or san jose. But eklund is about as reliable as a broken condom.(E5)

15. HABSMANIA says:

WOW People are still quoting this guy? Has he ever been right? I mean to think this guy makes money by doing this WOW

16. Jonnyboy says:

what a lame trade deadline.

i hope i have to eat these words tomorrow

17. showey47 says:

no, i go through this every year. Its been too quiet though, usually there are about half a dozen players put on waivers the day before to either clear some salary space or roster spots. But nothing, weird.

18. Joe Habsfan says:

Eklund has an E4 Campbell to the Habs

19. king ddd says:

avoid including higgins, o’byrne,sk#74, georges or streit in the deal for HOSSA

20. HKisses says:

yea but Waddel has clearly stated his goaltending is no issue…But good points guys !

21. HKisses says:

ahhhh right… misread ur last post…hmm yea good idea too… Mannnn i dont know about you guys ,but this is the first time in my Habs fan history i’ve been glued to the computer to be the first to see if their has been a trade…Damn this is crazy and its making me go insane …Am I the only one feeling this way?

22. HABSMANIA says:

What an exciting trade deadline!!!! lol

23. tony d says:

this morning I shot a moose in my pajamas…. how it got into my pajamas, Ill never know
    (tribute to the late Groucho)

24. showey47 says:

I wouldn’t be trading huet to atlanta, i would be using him to bring in other assets to use in this trade. Hence causing minimal damage to our own roster and prospects.

25. tony d says:

so on Canadiens.com, Dandenault says in addition to Gainey, they’re are 21,000 other general managers at the Bell Centre… I guess that includes most of us, since many of us have attended games there…ergo, I am now an associate general manager of the Habs…… HOW COME HOSSA WON’T TAKE MY CALLS??????
    Damn it, I demand some respect around here….. hmmmm….wonder when they’ll retire my jersey?…it’s stinking up my basement

26. moser17 says:

You’d need to add Huet or a first rounder.

27. showey47 says:

i wouldn’t trade obyrne, but if atlanta wanted a young dman i would try to use huet in a trade with another team in order to bring in other assets to help close this deal.

28. wd40 says:

H I/O POLL: Will Hossa be a Hab before the end of the NHL Trading Deadline?

29. HKisses says:

This is what i would do….(Don’t get mad) Ryder,Obyrne,3rd round pick for Hossa…. Put Dandy back on defence(avoid Brisbois)

30. Richard says:

It IS Wadell’s choice, but Hossa can say which team he will be willing to sign with next year, meaning that Atlanta can earn more off conditionals. That puts some (not all) power back to Hossa.

A team will give more for a real trade than for a rental. Hossa chooses which he will be thus driving the demand that Wadell chooses from.

31. wild flower says:

If I was making offers for a player, the quality of the offer would be contingent on the likelihood of his signing to a longer term. Therefore, his choice does matter in determining the offers received.

32. A. Berke says:

Good recovery and I agree with you.

That is my story too and I’m sticking to it! ;-)

Cheers,

Ali B.

33. showey47 says:

no kidding, we don’t need another 2 month collapse like last season. We need to put some distance between us and ninth.Our last 8 games are against division rivals with 2 of the last 4 against the laffs. I really don’t want them to decide our fate again this year.

34. Steiner says:

Lets just hope the practice facilities collapse isn’t an omen for the remained of the season!

35. moser17 says:

admittedly, ducks would be easier than fish. Of course, it depends on the size of the barrel. And the ducks. And the fish. :)

36. showey47 says:

yup, nice to see him not go to the sens or flyers. West is good

Perfect – he’s in the other conference.

The Original 24 Cups

38. Y says:

Foppa’s signed with the Avs

39. Scotty90 says:

good pick up Dave!

40. Scotty90 says:

thats a possibility…. I haven’t heard of anyone from the Bulldogs being called though! They would have to make it all public tonight to give the back-up time to do the 401 trip.

41. moser17 says:

He’s going to Atlanta to mentor Lehtonen.

42. Dave Stubbs says:

Ducks in a barrel? Is that anything like fish in a shooting gallery?

Dave Stubbs

Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette

43. A. Berke says:

Re: Huet
    It’s a distinct possibility IMO.

Ali B.

44. mjames says:

Guaranteed he bombs unless he has really improved his one legged skating.

mjames

45. A. Berke says:

Let’s also be mindful of which players Waddell is going to ask for in return.
    If Atlanta gets too greedy, the deal may not go through (even though you seem to have the inside track).

Gainey is doing his best in GOOD FAITH but is not going to get rid of the farm just to get one player (however good he may be).

Cheers,

Ali B.

46. moser17 says:

The Habs’ practice facility collapsed when it heard that Hossa was coming to town.

47. Mike T says:

It’s not Hossa’s decision right now. It’s the best offer Waddell gets. I wouldn’t encourage Gainey to make a trade if he has to give up too much.

Anyone think Price starting Tuesday is an indication of Huet moving before the deadline?

48. mjames says:

I do not want Houssa for the sake of getting Houssa. Why overpay??????? Can you explain that logic

mjames

49. wild flower says:

yah..I doubt he would ever even consider warm weather and playing with Thornton or Ribiero.

50. Scotty90 says:

well maybe Laps can dance for him in the dressing room tomorrow night :)

51. coutNY says:

It makes me think that he is still uncertain his foot is 100% but they were willing to take a chance because he is with a familar team that won’t put unrealistic expectations on him or make him feel obligated to push it beyond his limits because of a large investment in him? Only coming back for the year…

52. Scotty90 says:

There is no other hockey city like Montreal anywhere in the world. He is going to excel here in Montreal, … and the rest of the team are going to bring it all up a notch as well. Man, if his line becomes competitive with Plek’s line, and the other two lines join in the fun… ole ole ole…ole ole..

53. petemoss says:

Montreal is his choice? Excuse me, how do you know that? Have you talked to Hossa yourself? Let’s say we don’t get Hossa, is that Gainey’s fault? Are you going to be one of the people calling for Gainey’s head if we lose on tuesday, and we don’t have a superstar added to our lineup?
    Shooting ducks in a barrel? Are you kidding me??????? Do you have any idea how these things work…..

54. moser17 says:

er … it was a collapse of joy

55. nick says:

Considering the language the interview is being conducted in is second for both sides, i wouldn’t count on taking to heart all the little nuances…

As all Hossa was thinking was… how can i get rid of all these freakin media guys so i can go get lap dance(s)!

56. nick says:

Found it, thanks!

57. showey47 says:

tsn and xm 204

58. Scotty90 says:

Listened to the audio again…. one reporter asks … is it on your mind right now that you may have had your last practice with this team? Hossa answered “ah..well you know thats a possibility and i was ready for it….” I was ready for it… that says to me that its reality… he has had his last practice with them! He could have answered ‘i have to be ready…’ Could be a language thing though… but don’t think so!

59. moser17 says:

TSN.ca:

“He was dealt to the Predators at the trade deadline for Scottie Upshall, Ryan Parent and first and third-round draft picks in 2007.”

60. Habs64 says:

Foppa is back!!

61. showey47 says:

forsberg just joined colorado avalanche for the remaining of the season

62. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

well…don’t go to far….you have to draw the line somewhere!
    ———
    1. Feb 19, 2008 – History was made.
    1. ONLY BELIVEAU CAN CONVINCE LECAVALIER…
    2. Thank GOD we have Alex Kovalev…..at his PRIME
    3. The BELL CENTRE should be rebuilt to sit 80,000 fans
    4. We will win the CUP

63. Scotty90 says:

we could then get Nikko Koivu! Latendresse’s brother was picked-up by Montreal last week!! Does Breezer have a brother?

64. teamplayer says:

they cut the audio too early, the next question started off “they were chanting your name saturday night..” and thats the end of the clip, wouldve liked to hear his answer on that one. sounded like a good question to put him on the spot

65. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

not only should we get HOSSA…but we should trade a pick for his brother also….

never could figure out why we let him go…ton of talent and young…

imagine 2 sets of brothers…we would be untouchable…again…
    ———
    1. Feb 19, 2008 – History was made.
    1. ONLY BELIVEAU CAN CONVINCE LECAVALIER…
    2. Thank GOD we have Alex Kovalev…..at his PRIME
    3. The BELL CENTRE should be rebuilt to sit 80,000 fans
    4. We will win the CUP

66. saku11 says:

I hope he comes here. Despite some poor playoff performances, I think he’d be the perfect sniper to play on Koivu’s wing.

67. ccs says:

Just imagine Koivu playing with someone who can finish by putting the puck in the net. Bob promised Koivu that he would get someone to help him out, well he has less than 24 hours to do so. I really hope that Hossa will be playing for us on Tuesday. GO HABS GO.

68. Proudones says:

Thanks again for posting this.

69. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

HOSSA AUDIO

says when he arrives at the rink he thinks only of hockey…not trade.

he knows montreal is the HOT SPOT and is targeting him.

says that its a hockey city, great place to play but he can’t comment further….(i guess so!)

He is ready to come to Montreal or stay and ride out the UFA market.

he also says he pays too much money to his agent!

and he comments that its good to hear the support from the Montreal fans…BUT he is still a THRASHER
    ———
    1. Feb 19, 2008 – History was made.
    1. ONLY BELIVEAU CAN CONVINCE LECAVALIER…
    2. Thank GOD we have Alex Kovalev…..at his PRIME
    3. The BELL CENTRE should be rebuilt to sit 80,000 fans
    4. We will win the CUP

70. HKisses says:

Clearly false info…I was told the contractor’s name is John Ferguson

71. Rocket9 says:

Hossa doesn’t have a no-trade clause does he? If he doesn’t, then it doesn’t matter what his choice is. He goes to whater team gives Waddell the best offer.

72. nightmare_49 says:

We’ve had great success in scooping up free agents in the off season , right. Why don’t you reverse your thinking and look at the team when we don’t pick up someone , the team won’t show it but down inside they will say management didn’t help us and don’t want to win.

73. Cable Guy says:

Does anyone know why Viggo Mortensen is such a huge Habs fan? At the Oscar pre show when being interviewed by Ben Mulroney he pulled up his sleeve to expose a Habs wrist band and he said ‘Go Habs Go’. He is a New Yorker, anyone know why he loves the Habs?

74. wd40 says:

Viggo Mortensen.

Is that guy cool or what.

75. RS says:

Why does he luv the Habs? Why does anybody love the Habs? C’mon.

76. Hockey11 says:

He is a very interesting guy with an interesting background. I believe he attended a college in upstate New York and was a hockey fan their and became a Habs fan at that time. He attended a Leaf game while filming a movie and was sporting his Habs T shirt at that time too.

77. HKisses says:

LEAFS ARE BEATING SENS 3-0 2nd period — 10 mins to go in the 2nd…… good thing for us and it looks like ottawa will have a goaltending issue after this game

78. TripleX says:

HAHA….what is it with the Laffs. They are so hard to predict, tank against the weak teams then beat the top teams. I wish the Habs had the same success against top teams.

79. PGHABS says:

huh, i cannot cheer for the leafs no matter what

80. Hossa is Coming says:

Don’t Worry guys, its me Marian Hossa!
    I’m writing from my hotel room secretly to tell you I am getting my sizes measured for tommorrow nights game. I hope you like goals..Yes? I will give you goals my friends.

_______________
    “WE WANT VINCE! WE WANT MARIAN!”

81. sidhu says:

Already think you’re going to be given the “A”?

82. PattyBoy31 says:

Hey, I didn’t know you were a lecavalier fan…

83. Hossa is Coming says:

I’m prepare for both options, whether I play for montreal tommorrow night or for montreal the next game, I prepare for both options.

___________________________________________________________________________
    WE WANT MARIAN!”

84. The Teacher says:

Marian, if we give up Chipper for you and you don’t score at least 40 goals for the next 6 years, I will not like you very much.

85. wd40 says:

that thought makes me feel nauseous.

86. The Teacher says:

I prefer to think positive and think how sweet it would be for us to have a spot clinched with the Leafs needing a win against us in the last game. A win for us would be poetic justice.

Wonder what Higgy would be like that game ;)

87. Hossa is Coming says:

Dont worry Timo, with my scoring ability and my brother’s gloves nothing can stop me! And the Canadiens will be imp”hossa”ble to beat. Ottawa will regret trading me for Heatley
    ___________________________________________________________________________
    WE WANT MARIAN!”

88. wd40 says:

very true however me nerves were just hoping for a little LESS suspense this year down the final stretch :)

89. Hossa is Coming says:

Dont worry teacher, you and I will be laughing over poutine and smoked meat sanwhiches in Montreal over all the goals I scored in no time. ___________________________________________________________________________
    WE WANT MARIAN!”

90. The Teacher says:

Hahaha, you’re too funny

Can’t wait until 3PM tomorrow so this is all over and done with.

91. nick says:

With the way the media is building you up here, if your not prepared to single handedly steal 5 goals every game… well, you might just have to move to the furthest, most remote corner of the earth to ensure your saftey. :P

BTW… Welcome To Montreal! ;)

92. jody1974 says:

Now just bring us Tanguay…hehe

93. wd40 says:

From the TSN website, a fan commenting on the Habs/Hossa story:
    (source: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=230566&hubname=nhl)

“Some interesting tid-bits. Montreal was 25-1 to win the Stanley Cup on the weekend…..those odds have dropped to 15=1 today. Montreal was 15-1 to win the East. Now they are 5-1. Carey Price gets the nod today….usually Carbo announces the goalie on game day….even after he shut out Philly, he was not sure he would start the next game….and he got shut out by Columbus on Sat and did not have a great game….which usually indicates Huet to start. Could it be Huet, Ryder and a Bulldog for Hossa…..stay tuned. GO HABS GO.”

From our H I/O Poll:
    Is Hossa going to be a Hab before the NHL Trading deadline ends?

52% YES, 48% NO

94. Les-Habitants says:

Atlanta already has a really strong goaltender.

If I were Atlanta’s GM, I’d go after an offensive center, an offensive d-man who can QB the PP, and get as many draft picks and/or prosects as I could squeeze out of trading partner…including, of course, at least 1st rounder.

But to expect a roster player for a UFA rental? I think Waddel might be dreaming.

95. frank81 says:

Completely unrelated, but there’s an auction to benefit the Gainey Foundation. The jerseys worn during the warm-up were signed by Bob and the player who wore the jersey.

96. Xtrahabsfan says:

Just in Hossa for Kovalev……..just kidding,lol

97. Hoegarden says:

Just in on RDS.

Prospal now a Flyer. TB get a 2nd rounder and A.Picard ?

98. The Teacher says:

Yup TSN says it also

99. G-Man says:

Good move, Philly. Where’s your depth now, Tampa Bay? Could it be there’s something bigger in the works?

Gilbert

100. TripleX says:

The fact that the Sens were blown out at home by the Laffs worries me. You have to believe Bryan Murray will pull out all the stops to land Hossa. How much will BG have to give up to win this auction. I would really hate to lose Hossa to Ottawa.

101. The Teacher says:

Boyle 6 years 40 million.

richards is gone.

102. Cable Guy says:

I’m not worried, Atlanta has been scouting us huge, hasn’t been scouting Ottawa nearly as much. We have alot more to offer than Ottawa does, plus it’s an ego thing, Wadell won’t want to give Hossa back to Ottawa.

103. planet habs says:

basically Philly got Prospal for nothing. he has 29 goals. How come Gainey didn’t go get him? we missed the boat on that one. But Holmgren is a very aggressive GM, unlike Gainey.

104. Chorske says:

Prospal’s stats are great when he plays with guys like Lecavalier. Remains to be seen whether he can maintain that level in Philly. I sure hope so- I have him in my pool…

105. Cable Guy says:

tampa gets a big puck moving defencemen from Philly and a 2nd round pick in a very good draft year. I don’t think Tampa lost out too much.

106. usversusthem says:

At this point I’d say Murry should be looking for a goalie, not Hossa. It’s not like the Sens are hard done-by for scoring…

107. Rastaman says:

I’n not just saying this, but I’m pretty sure I could get 10-15 playing on a line with Vinny and Marty and I haven’t played since high school. Not the player we needed in my opinion.

108. 1010 says:

Just reported on TSN. Laffs 5 sens 0. Cliff Fletcher says that the leafs have become buyers and he states that they have been for quite some time. He was just pretending they were sellers to see would kind of offers they could look at. They are in the hunt for Hossa and are offering McGill and a 5th round draft pick [ McGill is the last leaf without a no-trade clause]. Cliff says that signing him in the off season should pose no problems. As per club policy a 5 year no-trade contract is being offered. His salary will be in the 1 to 2 million range because[like every other person on planet earth] living in ‘the centre of the hockey universe’ is reward enough.
    The Habs and sens simply couldn’t match this offer.

GO HABS.

Teach – That’s a lot of money and term for a guy who’s not a star on defense – it’s Timonen Part 2. Great at moving the puck and running the PP but he’s 31 and really isn’t that big or overly physical. I guess it’s the price you pay when you can’t develop your own young players. Richards to Dallas or Columbus?

The Original 24 Cups

110. The Teacher says:

Hmm, well It is 6.5 million a year and I think it’s not that high compared to some of the deals that have been made lately. This actually helps us keep Komisarek’s salary lower. He won’t get 5 million if Boyle gets 6.5. Think about him as our Markov. boy did we get a steal or what? He has made a few all star games and is a candidate for Team Canada is 2010.

As for Richards. Columbus is my bet for some reason. Unless he wants to save on the wardrobe costs and chooses Dallas.

Timo – Prospal is one of the most overrated guys in the league. He runs totally hot and cold. He would also have to fight Andrei K and Higgins for ice time on the left wing so he wouldn’t be putting up Vinny assisted totals.

The Original 24 Cups

112. PGHABS says:

agreed
    _______________________________________
    Pessimism is a cowards way out.

113. PGHABS says:

i read the same thing
    _______________________________________
    Pessimism is a cowards way out.

Teach – I guess it’s similar to a hot housing market. You keep asking yourself why anyone would pay $700000 for a certain house and then a month later it’s going for $800000. These teams are going to being hurting when they have to give guys like Boyle and Timonen $6.6 mil when they are on the wrong side of 35. Columbus isn’t going anywhere without a centre. Richards’ highend salary won’t look too bad after they dump Federov’s 6mil a year.

The Original 24 Cups

115. The Teacher says:

They should make the trade deadline on a Friday. Sheesh, who wants to go to bed now?

116. The Teacher says:

I know what you mean. I am amazed at these salaries as well as everyone is getting overpaid. A lot of teams are going to be in the position that Toronto is now.

That is why I’m hesitant to get a player than wants more than 6 million. If we pay that he has to be a definite top ten NHL forward or D. Does Hossa qualify? Not to me he doesn’t. Earlier in the year, I told my friend in T.O. that we should trade for Hossa. We ARE 3rd if the NHL in scoring, are we not? Our goalies are struggling, but that’s also a reflection on the D.

I think we need a guy a la Adam Foote or Steve Staios to solidify our D. We do have prospects, but we’re going to need a short term buffer until they arrive.

I think BOB is trying to mislead us with the “impact player” suggestion. He can also be a D!

117. Pat8987 says:

I wonder how some of you guys call yourself hockey fans “miss the boat” on Prospal please…..Can’t you tell Gainy is working on something bigger for tomorrow….and if it does not fall through, do you really think Prospal is the solution? The only reason he has so many points is because he is playing with arguably the best player in the NHL….stop complaining…Gainy is one of the smartest in the business….trust me…

Am I the only one for trading Huet? And getting a veteran goalie to back us up in the playoffs…(belfour, roloson)…….(I hope this is our year, but I don’t think it is. why should we lose Huet like Souray??!!!

118. 1010 says:

I’m off tomorrow with nothin’ to do except watch snow fall and see if Bob pulls the switch. This might be interesting.
    I’ll be slightly surprised if he lands a big fish.

GO HABS.

119. Shiloh says:

I agree that Prospal was not who we needed – even though he always seems to score on us. I’m not sure about Huet. I think we should be ready to deal him but we shouldn’t give him away. If we do ship him somewhere I sure wish Halak had got a few starts when he was up.

120. showey47 says:

Prospal was also the guy who called brisebois a frog back in his days as an ottawa senator. He was traded shortly afterwards, for some reason i believe the french media would make a big deal out of it and re-hatch this story and i’m sure gainey is well aware of what could happen if we traded for him. Do we need another french media driven language scandal?

121. The Teacher says:

Yeah, BG tends to stay away from headaches.

BTW, how long has Saku been saying Merci after his interviews?

122. The Teacher says:

Gm’s Boyling over insane contracts
    The sellers are Stolling for time.

One GM says to another
    “Hossa bout this brother?
    Nah, says the GM
    You gotta be Jokinen

I want Pleks and blue Chippers
    Dandy’s and Smokes are such life rippers

Obviously trade deadline eve is slow
    It’s late and i am no pro

123. nick says:

Think Gainey is working on anything for tonight? This isn’t fair… i have to goto work in the morning :P

124. The Teacher says:

LMAO me too :(

125. nick says:

if it makes you feel any better i bet half the habs are up doing the same thing we are. HAHA..

G-night folks! See ya in the morning ;)

126. POPS says:

The bottom line is that players like Hossa don’t come around every year!If Bob thinks that Hossa is a piece to the Stanley Cup puzzle than he will go after him!I still think that trading Huet would be ideal.I like him but having two good goalies is a luxury that no post lock-out team can afford.The key to remember for all if us fans is that the team has many options, and this is why MR.GAINEY is a superb manager.He has put the organization in a position to choose a path.I can’t wait for tommorrow!!!!!!

127. originalsix says:

I would have liked if we had traded Huet to Tampa for a solid return; and gone with a Price/Halak combo. I’m liking Halak every day that passes, the kid has so much potential, but no one gives him a chance.

Hossa is going to the Habs…I can just feel it.

128. showey47 says:

Huet may still be moved, i am hoping for the same thing. I am confident with a price/halak duo down the stretch. Halak proved himself last year at this time. Besides, why give the playoff experience to a goalie who won’t even be here next year.

129. 1010 says:

I don’t necessarily think a trade is imminent but this whole Hossa thing has had me intrigued for the last couple of days. I admit that the idea has grown of me. Can hardly wait to see what tomorrow brings. Or doesn’t.

GO HABS.

130. Y says:

Belfour?! LoL!

While we’re at it lets get Henri Richard to suit up too!

131. Wencz says:

The Sens have been avg since their big start, and brutal for spans. I wonder if Murray might consider stepping behind the bench soon to take this team into the playoffs. Paddock seems to have lost them.

132. showey47 says:

I hope this is true

133. Y says:

Huet’s going nowhere, TB will be getting Mike Smith as part of the Richards sweepstakes

134. showey47 says:

I think the sens biggest move tomorrow will be to fire paddock and murray goes back behind the bench

135. gauvinator says:

I noticed that last Thurs…had he done it before/since?

136. Nicolas St-Henri says:

Just saw this as well. Can’t sleep. Too excited. Have to work at 9am tomorrow. 2am press conference please!

137. usversusthem says:

Don’t quit your day job, Teach… I hear there’s even less money in poetry than there is in the education system. Shocking, I know.

138. Robert L says:

He’s been saying it since the scandal.

139. originalsix says:

Yeah, I was just wishing Bob tried to move Huet to get something decent in return.

140. PGHABS says:

that sounds fairly outstanding to me

141. jimstr says:

how this can be reliable

142. mrstewart61 says:

But he is a UFA an season’s end.

143. TripleX says:

HAHAHA….WTF? Now 5 to 0 Laffs at the end of two!

144. port elgin says:

Kypreos the moron also said that Malkin might be on the block for tomorrow.

145. Wayne says:

I saw that too and for once, I agree with his assumptions.

146. HABSMANIA says:

kypreos talking on sportsnet says that Chris Higgins will not be going to atlanta for Hossa. Also says Ottawa will likely not get Hossa due to the fact Waddel might be embarrassed and giving up the guy he got for Heatley to the same team.

147. drecha says:

I think they flip a coin before the game to determine which team is going to show up.

The tank is full, now let’s map the route for the drive to 25!!

148. HKisses says:

Good to hear that he has respect for the city….makes me want him more i na habs jersey….Come on HOSSAAAAA

149. petemoss says:

You know what sucks?
    If the habs aren’t able to land a player, and we lose tuesday night – there will be people calling for Bob’s head.
    That would be disgusting….

150. PGHABS says:

i predict there will be no trades this year

151. jimstr says:

I also think there will be no trade with the habs. though deep in my heart I want hossa in my club.

152. Scotty90 says:

Although he didn’t come out and say it, after listening to him speak I think he will be wearing a Habs jersy this week!

153. moser17 says:

This man will be wearing a Habs jersey *tomorrow night*!

Listen to how warm and receptive he is being with the Montreal media … this man is coming to town.

154. P St. Pierre says:

I’m not sure if I want him or not, but he does know what it means to play in Canada (all be it, Ottawa, not Montreal). I think he’s the type of player Gainey wants for the future. In my opinion, the only better option out there is Jokinen but I’m not sure Montreal would be able to lure him away from Florida. Hossa is a very complete hockey player. His +/- rating this year is not a fair indication of his talents, as he’s always been very good defensively. I’m not sure what to make of it, but he would add alot on a line with Koivu. He used to be dynamite playing with Slava Kozlov and Kozlov and Koivu have similiar styles, although Koivu is a better player in my opinion.

155. moser17 says:

Good comments. As for the diff. between Ottawa and Montreal, I think Hossa liked Canadian fans and Canadian hockey a lot, and I think he wants it back, and he wants to play in the hub. Hossa on Koivu’s line would be the perfect punch needed to round out the scoring. Definitely leave the K-P-K line intact, and have a H-K-??? line … I leave the “???” because I don’t know whether Higgins is going in the trade … I strongly suspect he isn’t, though, so I’ll say the top lines come tomorrow night will be K-P-K and H-K-H, and they’ll compete from now through the playoffs for the number one spot.

I’m serious, listen to the way he’s speaking with the media in Montreal. It’s somewhere between foreshadowing and prophesy.

156. RS says:

Did anybody give him a hard time for not speaking French?

157. moser17 says:

They’ll wait until he’s signed for that. ;-)

158. MathMan says:

Or, at least, he doesn’t want to burn bridges in case he DOES end up there. Waddell’s driving this, not Hossa.

Or maybe he’s just generally a nice guy. ;)

159. krob1000 says:

Hossa is driving this more than you think……he has more value if he is willing to sign with whatever team trades for him. Montreal wants him for a few years so Hossa is the one who makes that decision. If Hossa doesn’t want to be here than we won’t trade for him ….that simple. We are not looking for rentals we can’t keep.

160. moser17 says:

All very true, certainly; but I’m not manic or on a general bandwagon: I listened discriminatingly, and I detect an ingratiating tone … something’s up. I’m always ready to admit I’m crazy or wrong …. but I’ll be more willing to admit it tomorrow after 3:00pm when Hossa’s not a Hab.

161. Chorske says:

AMEN brother. I wouldn’t sign anyone who hasn’t expressed a strong interest in resigning over the long-term.

I think we can all give Roman Hamrlik a huge, massive group hug for proving that Montreal can be a viable, pleasant place for free agents and elite players to sign.

THANKS ROMAN!!!

162. Scotty90 says:

Same here Moser17…. there is just something about his tone of voice and a very subtle little bit of excitement that I detect!! Anyway, my gut tells me there is something there.

As for playing tomorrow night, if all this happens, I wonder if there would be a gentleman’s agreement that he wouldn’t be able to play the Thrashers on the smae day of his trade? I don’t know!

163. G-Man says:

When he was filming LOTR in New Zealand, one of the cameramen was wearing the bleu, blanc, rouge.
    BTW, at the Toronto film festival, he loves to rub it in by wearing all kinds of Habs shirts, etc.

Gilbert

164. P St. Pierre says:

I agree. I think there is a very good chance that he’s going to be in a Canadiens’ uniform tomorrow night.

165. krob1000 says:

I can’t hear the audio but I like what I am reading.

166. moser17 says:

Journalist: “Did you expect something like that, this morning?” [Probably referring to Sundin's being off the market.]

Hossa: “Well, definitely, I … you know, that was good timing, we came to Toronto and Montreal in the last couple of days”

Journalist: “You know that two million hockey fans are expecting you here, hoping for you?

Hossa: “I heard both the rumors, and I know that Montreal was the hot talk, and, you know, we’re gonna find out here in the next 24 hours.”

Journalist: “Would you like to play in Montreal, if the situation happens and that you’re going to be traded here? How would you like to play here?”

Hossa: “Well, it’s a hockey city, I played in Canada and I know how the people are crazy about hockey; so, you know it’s an interesting place to play, definitely it is, but right now, uh, that’s all I can say.”

167. Scotty90 says:

Hey Krob… After listening to it…. I feel pretty good that its going to happen! and for those who say Hossa is not a playoff guy…. he was the best player on the ice for Ottawa in his last year with them… so i’ll take my chances on him wearing the Bleu, Blanc, Rouge!

168. martin says:

he’s coming here but he will not play tomorrow nite. You read it here first

169. Chorske says:

Who was it I read about recently, practiced with his team one morning, got traded, and played against them that very night?

170. RS says:

Strange, I’ve read that already in a previous post!

171. coutNY says:

Would that would imply he’s not going to be a Hab?

172. Hoegarden says:

I have a couple of Pilsner Urquell on stand by, one never knows.

Since Waddell could not sign him, I’m convinced that Hossa has already made up his mind on where he wants to play next year.

Interesting comments from Streit this morning on Radio-Canada.He definitely wants to continue his NHL career here.
    « C’est le Canadien qui m’a procuré une première chance et je suis un gars fidèle, ajoute Streit. Je me dois d’être reconnaissant envers l’organisation. Ma copine vient de Montréal et il n’y a pas plus belle ville en Amérique du Nord. »

Habs gave me the opportunity to play in the NHL and I’m a loyal person. My girlfriend is from Montreal and Montreal is the most beautiful city in N.A.

173. Proudones says:

On behalf of those of us who can’t hear the audio, thank you very much for taking the time!

174. nick says:

then crucify him unless he’s either scoring 3 goals a nite or giving a colorful interview in french :P

Assuming he does get signed. How many games will he need (games with out points that is) until people start booing him, and questioning Bob’s move?

175. A. Berke says:

At the rate the fans are going, I’d guess ONE game should do it.
    ;-)

cheers,

Ali B.

176. showey47 says:

no, it means if we do land him he won’t play against his old team.

177. mrstewart61 says:

In that case, Grabs, Streit or Carle, and Ryder.

178. jonhab33 says:

there goes our last shot at getting a star. Well, 8th place, here we come.

179. A. Berke says:

Why do you say that?
    Do you know something that we don’t know or are you just being one of the regular pessimists?

I thought that the trading was open till tomorrow afternoon.

Ali B.

180. PattyBoy31 says:

What do you think would happen to Kovalev if Hossa came to MTL? I’m guessing it wouldn’t be positive, Kovalev is soaking all the attention up and I think he plays better that way!

181. LizardKing1967 says:

Kovy would still be the star here, and he knows it. You think he doesn’t want to win a cup? He’ll suck up a little star rivalry for it, I am sure.

Jim-out.

I BELIEVE!

182. A. Berke says:

IMO Kovalev’s contract would have to be renewed (upwards in salary) though.

cheers,

Ali B.

183. Joe Habsfan says:

FORGET HOSSA GET OLLI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!