Audio: Hamrlik returns for home opener

Canadiens defenceman Roman Hamrlik (left), practising here last April in Brossard with Tom Pyatt and goalie Carey Price, returns to action in Wednesday’s home opener.
Peter McCabe, Gazette

AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Roman Hamrlik | Josh Gorges | Ryan O’Byrne

Canadiens defenceman Roman Hamrlik will be back in the lineup tomorrow night when the Habs take on Habs South, aka the Tampa Bay Lightning.

Hamrlik played alongside Ryan O’Byrne in Brossard practice today. It will be the 1,233rd regular-season NHL game for Hamrlik, who broke into the NHL with the Lightning as an 18-year-old in 1992-93.

Andrei Markov, still rehabbing from his knee surgery, seemed a step closer to his return, but he skated today with Alexandre Picard on the team’s fourth defence combination, suggesting they’ll be spectators tomorrow.

Very unofficial word circulating today has Markov returning Saturday at home vs. Ottawa.

Lots of news today for fans from Bell, with a few initiatives that will make life more interesting for those who follow the Canadiens. See below for that.

From release:

Bell
offers new ways for Canadiens fans
to get
closer than ever to their team

Official
Canadiens mobile app for Android, BlackBerry, iOS
TV series
takes
fans behind the scenes
Three
stars will now be selected by fans – including voting by mobile

MONTRÉAL, October 12,
2010 –
As
the Montréal Canadiens prepare for their home opener tomorrow night at the Bell
Centre, Bell today announced three innovations that will give fans new and
exclusive Canadiens content across multiple broadband platforms.

These initiatives include a TV series available to
Bell customers, an official Canadiens mobile application to enable fans to
closely follow their team, and the chance to vote for each game’s three stars
on mobile phones or online.

“As a part of the Canadiens franchise, Bell
understands that Habs fans have a very special relationship with their team.
Thanks to our leading broadband networks and services, Bell is able to reinforce
that relationship with unique new services featuring exclusive Canadiens
content,” said Stéphane Boisvert, President, Bell Business Markets. “Our
objective is to deliver the best Canadiens experience across all three screens
– mobile, online and TV – and, with our new mobile products, even on the Bell
Centre big screen too. With Bell, hockey just got better.”

“Bell offers a truly unique experience for
Canadiens’ fans through multiple screens. We have a long and strong
relationship with Bell and we believe that fans will take advantage of these
three platforms to live the new Habs experience,” said Pierre Boivin, President
and CEO, Club de hockey Canadien and evenko.

The official
Canadiens mobile app

Bell today unveiled
the official mobile application for the Canadiens, available to all wireless
customers on key mobile platforms such as Android, BlackBerry and iOS. The app
will provide news and official team statistics, and will enable any user to
vote for a game’s three stars.

Bell clients will
have access to game broadcasts from RDS and coach Jacques Martin’s first live
comments after the game. In addition, fans get access to a special social
network where they can exchange comments, photos and videos with other fans and
Bell customers can even instantly share their photos live on the Bell Centre
big screen. Details on how to download the application will be available at
bell.ca/canadiens.

TV series

A new reality show will give fans unprecedented
insight into life with the National Hockey League’s most storied franchise –
directly from the players’ perspective.

Each week, a camera will follow a different player in
his daily routine, giving fans an insider view into both his personal and
professional life. The 30-minute show will be made available first from Bell on
mobile, TV and online from November to December in English and French, before
it’s widely broadcast on RDS, TSN and V in January.

Three stars of the game

For the first time
in Canadiens’ history, the three stars of the game will be selected by fans,
rather than by members of the media, with voting online or by mobile phone.
Bell developed the mobile voting platform for this new approach that brings
fans closer to the game than ever before.

1. LA Loyalist says:

Touche. I had forgotten that one.

Though you have to admit H made up for it later :)

“Insert tagline here.”

2. Number31 says:

Bulldogs season starts October 15th.

He’s been praised by Derek Wills and guest-colour commentator Brad “MAYDAY!” May during their preseason stint in Newfoundland against the B-Sens. He’s also like the youngest player on the team so patience is needed. Only problem is he’s apparently suffering from “lace bite” but it’s being taken care of, and he’s playing through it as well. He’s a tough kid and seems to be adapting to the speed and the North American style pretty nicely. Sure he’ll have an off game here or there but he came out very strong in his first game and did a good job in their last preseason game (scored in the shootout too).

3. fbkj says:

im pretty sure they are going to control who gets picked in this instance, theyll probably have a few folks watching the game for the purpose of determining who merits getting stars, say, 5 players, then let the votes determine the order of those five, ill bet cash money there wont be true transparancy around the vote count and we wont see much shennanigans

(i still think its a dumb idea but they wont let the fans truly control the picks)

… then again it is bell so what do i know

4. SeriousFan09 says:

The guy beat his entire KHL team by a full lap in a 10-lap circuit around the ice during a training session and has that slick Russian stickhandling plus the advantage of being 6’2″ and a RH shot. MTL couldn’t ask for a better winger to be coming up through the system.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

5. SeriousFan09 says:

You know it’s Montreal when people complain about the colour of rally towels.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

6. TheIndian says:

Yeah you are so right about that.  I had a chance to follow the training camp and he looked good to me during the rookie camp so I am sure with some experience of NA hockey in smaller rinks, he will be an awesome player to watch.  Patience is the key :-)

7. Storm Man says:

Thanks for the post, I have never been to a place with Cheval on the menu.

8. LA Loyalist says:

It was late 90’s, the place was up on St. Denis near Duluth (I think) or maybe up a bit further on the east side. In fact it was the Labor Day Weekend Princess Diana died. The story is the Brit photog kept complaining that he was so hungry he could eat a horse, he kept saying it, so when dinner time came I said nothing and just told the cab where to go.

He know enough school French to know “cheval” when he saw it on the menu in the window, turned a little green and decided that the place we’d eaten the night before had actually been quite good. So we got back in the cab :)

I tried “cheval” once in France, it tastes like very lean beef, like a skirt steak, not strong tasting. I just did it to try it, I wouldn’t have it again, I’m not so crazy a foodie.

Anyway, if I start talking about Montreal restaurants I’m going to get very depressed. Is L’Express still there and still good? They hung on a long time. I remember when it opened. Sigh.

9. SeriousFan09 says:

Early panic, the guy hasn’t played one pro game on NA ice yet, there’s going to be a transition period for him and adapting to smaller ice, much like Lars Eller did last season, who then became an AHL All-Rookie player.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

10. SeriousFan09 says:

Yeah because losing to the Leafs on National TV has never happened before… Oh wait, it did in Game 82 of last year when Halak crapped the bed and nearly put us out of the playoffs.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

11. habaddict_andy says:

Play Saturday then resk five days.  Sounds just about right to me.  He has been skating for awhile now.

Scott Gomez to Montreal Media “You’re a pain in the neck, but you’re our pain in the neck.”

12. fuhgawz says:

ok thanks — thought i read somewhere that he wasn’t panning out to well

13. habaddict_andy says:

You Psycho you!!  Lucky man don’t go easy on those rums.

14. SeriousFan09 says:

Hamilton Bulldogs for now and the Bulldogs have not begun their regular season yet.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

15. fuhgawz says:

anyone know what is happening with alex avtsin???

16. HabFanSince72 says:

Once you start handing out white towels for playoff games you’ve reached the point of no return.

17. Keith says:

I had the same kind of deal when I was a kid in the 1970’s. The old lady down the street called the police on us and we had to stop playing for a while. But without vandalism.

18. ZepFan2 says:

Here you go… http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/97101

————————————————————————–

“Wonder how tomorrow could ever follow today.”

19. ZepFan2 says:

Paying it forward. 😉

————————————————————————–

“Wonder how tomorrow could ever follow today.”

20. _Habsoloutly_ says:

I don’t think the PP can afford to wait.

21. Psycho29 says:

Hey greetings from Santa Maria Cuba….30C here by the beach…AND I MISS HOCKEY!!!

Glad to find out that we beat the Pens on Saturday (Thank goodness for TVA in the hotel!!!)

Anyhow just thought I’d rub it in….Gotta run, my Rhum awaits by the pool !!!!!!

:-)

22. ZepFan2 says:

Considering we also eat poutine. Is horse meat that bad!? lol

————————————————————————–

“Wonder how tomorrow could ever follow today.”

23. Storm Man says:

Hmmmm. I have never had it and my Mother is 100 percent french born in France. What restaurants have horse on the menu? I was thinking I was on top of the best places in Montreal to eat ;).

24. krob1000 says:

When Peter Pocklington sold the Great One and sent him to Hollywood …….

25. light_n_tasty says:

Good grief! Calling the police on children playing street hockey in a cul-de-sac because they are making too much noise!?!  That is an affront to everything Canadian.  I’m glad I don’t have neighbours like that.

26. krob1000 says:

I would be shocked to see Markov play on Saturday…..I know he is a quick healer and all but after lookinga t the schedule…we play Wed, Fri and Sat…..then not again until next Thurs.  So why the rush? fopr one game? He can get another 5 days solid rehab adn play next Thurs or play one game on Saturday? He had better be 105 percent to take that risk (yes Bugs I know it technically isn’t possible).  I guess thereis the school of thought that he would have several days off after playing but to me it just doesn;t seem worth it…maybe if we lose wednesday and Friday it is possible but outside of that….I would just wait until next Thursday.  WHo knows he is the Cyborg but really for one game….vs 5 more days rehab and practicing at full speed…..I think I take the 5 days.

27. Aybara says:

As they said in the puck cast.. Letting the fans choose the announced three stars is the most stupid fkin idea I have heard in a while.

The Habs are supposed to be about class and no gimmicks. It won’t look like that when the crowd ironically picks Price as the first star in a 5-0 loss.. Or imagine the O’byrne own goal. Another spiteful star would have been awarded there I don’t doubt.

28. fbkj says:

not that la loyalist doesnt give me douchechills but yeah the french do eat horse and it is available at certain restaurants in MTL

29. Storm Man says:

So you’re saying french people cook and eat horse? I see you’re going to make lot’s of friends on here.

30. Storm Man says:

I guess you forget the NHL season is 82 games. If all you plan on doing is coming on here to crap on Price maybe take up surfing and go hang-ten.

31. Fant-HAB-ulous says:

OMG…a reality series about the Habs? When did hockey stop being about hockey?

32. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

I agree. I can imagine the following scenario:

Reporter: Must be hard to handle everyone.

Martin: That’s what she said.

33. sholi2000.com says:

Nice to see my work getting it done!

They Call Me Shane

34. PrimeTime says:

What else would you expect from a country that leads the world in growing Raspberries – it’s in their nature!

35. fuhgawz says:

PS3 NHL11

I traded Price and a 2nd to the Blues for Jaro and TJ — thier GM said they would be stupid not to make the trade.  I have played 6 games since and lost everyone of them.. Thanks Jaro

The Blues record since the trade — 6-0 Price 2 shutouts.

For this reason alone i know we held onto the right guy hahaha

if it happens on PS3 it must mean something right?

36. PrimeTime says:

You still don’t get it do you??? Never a post from you that doesn’t make a reference to Price -Halak (yes, they are both references to your narrow minded view of the team). You would think that someone who refers to himself to being an Extra Habs Fan would have a more broadened view of the team beyond one position.

37. TomNickle says:

Again, the fault should be placed at the feet of the goaltender!

38. pmaraw says:

are you talking about hamrlik?

39. HabFanSince72 says:

If you think Hab fans are bad when some of them boo Carey Price …

Today Serbia were playing Italy in a Euro 2012 qualifier in Genoa, Italy.

Some Ultras (essentially fascist football supporters) picketed the team hotel and attacked the team bus. The Serb goalie pulled out of the game after being threatened with physical violence..

Once in the stadium the Ultras made fascist salutes, booed their own national anthem, and threw flares and smoke bombs onto the pitch leading to cancellation of the game after only 3 minutes.

As of now the riot police are awaiting the fans outside the stadium.

40. LA Loyalist says:

I’ve eaten horse. Once in France and almost once up on St. Denis where I was torturing a British photographer who was claiming to be “so hungry he could eat a horse”.

But I blinked.

But you’re right. I must have the patience of Odysseus.

41. TomNickle says:

The third game of Price’s third season in the NHL will tell the tale of Price’s tenure in Montreal?

Get real.

42. LA Loyalist says:

that was funny. une chapeau.

Sorry, I can’t remember if a hat is masculin or feminin. I just know ties are feminin. which is weird.

43. LA Loyalist says:

Leafs. Opening night of the season. National television.

How soon we forget.

yeah, he redeemed himself in Pittsburgh, that gets him to .500

Plan the parade.

“I thought we were talking about waitresses on Bishop St.”

44. Born in a Bad Year says:

His soft play resulted in a opposition goal in both games.  Even O’Byrne scored a goal in the preseason.  Nothing special in that.

45. LA Loyalist says:

We need to scour Europe for a young goalie named Kierkegaard and sign him, then your comment would be legendary.

“I thought we were talking about waitresses on Bishop St.”

46. TripleX says:

My apologies if this thread was already posted, but the mug shot of Mike Ribeiro is a classic.  He looks like a drowned rat.  OMG LOL

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

47. Gorges_the_great says:

Is it just me or does Martin look like Steve Carell?

48. Marky Sparky says:

He does play somewhat big, granted the fact he does not hit which is very upsetting but he does use his body to win a puck battle in the boards as well as not let anyone take the puck from him. When he is on the ice he uses his body to win puck battles but he does not hit alot but that will change within the year.

Habs Fan since 94

49. Corio says:

The puck cast appeared and then suddenly disappeared!

50. Storm Man says:

Where did you get a pic of manapart from ?

51. ZepFan2 says:

I know. I was just ragging ya’.

————————————————————————–

“Wonder how tomorrow could ever follow today.”

52. Bob Dobbs says:

You forgot you’re married?

53. Storm Man says:

Dream on dude……..

54. Kooch7800 says:

I think it will be a tight game.  Tampa is well coached and has a ton of French Canadians who love to play well against the habs.  It will be  true test of this team.  I like getting Hammer back and will be super happy when Markov is back in the line up.

55. SeriousFan09 says:

Okay, the vandals clearly went over the line but when did Road hockey become a crime? Can the kids have any way to just play and enjoy some no-pressure hockey anymore? No, chase them off the road and make sure they can’t enjoy hockey since it’s all power skating camp in summer and endless practice in winter.

Hockey’s ‘our game’, why are we making it so hard for the kids to enjoy it?

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

56. mbplekfan says:

It’s hard to like a guy who is six foot three and plays small. He doesnt hit or use his size to outmuscle others for the puck, he doesnt play tough or aggressive.

57. fbkj says:

i never watched the show, sterns influence in rigging it, was my point 😉

and yeah wtf is up with him as a judge :(