Audio: Hamrlik returns for home opener

Canadiens defenceman Roman Hamrlik (left), practising here last April in Brossard with Tom Pyatt and goalie Carey Price, returns to action in Wednesday’s home opener.
Peter McCabe, Gazette

AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Roman Hamrlik | Josh Gorges | Ryan O’Byrne

Canadiens defenceman Roman Hamrlik will be back in the lineup tomorrow night when the Habs take on Habs South, aka the Tampa Bay Lightning.

Hamrlik played alongside Ryan O’Byrne in Brossard practice today. It will be the 1,233rd regular-season NHL game for Hamrlik, who broke into the NHL with the Lightning as an 18-year-old in 1992-93.

Andrei Markov, still rehabbing from his knee surgery, seemed a step closer to his return, but he skated today with Alexandre Picard on the team’s fourth defence combination, suggesting they’ll be spectators tomorrow.

Very unofficial word circulating today has Markov returning Saturday at home vs. Ottawa.

Lots of news today for fans from Bell, with a few initiatives that will make life more interesting for those who follow the Canadiens. See below for that.

From release:

Bell
offers new ways for Canadiens fans
to get
closer than ever to their team

Official
Canadiens mobile app for Android, BlackBerry, iOS
TV series
takes
fans behind the scenes
Three
stars will now be selected by fans – including voting by mobile

MONTRÉAL, October 12,
2010 –
As
the Montréal Canadiens prepare for their home opener tomorrow night at the Bell
Centre, Bell today announced three innovations that will give fans new and
exclusive Canadiens content across multiple broadband platforms.

These initiatives include a TV series available to
Bell customers, an official Canadiens mobile application to enable fans to
closely follow their team, and the chance to vote for each game’s three stars
on mobile phones or online.

“As a part of the Canadiens franchise, Bell
understands that Habs fans have a very special relationship with their team.
Thanks to our leading broadband networks and services, Bell is able to reinforce
that relationship with unique new services featuring exclusive Canadiens
content,” said Stéphane Boisvert, President, Bell Business Markets. “Our
objective is to deliver the best Canadiens experience across all three screens
– mobile, online and TV – and, with our new mobile products, even on the Bell
Centre big screen too. With Bell, hockey just got better.”

“Bell offers a truly unique experience for
Canadiens’ fans through multiple screens. We have a long and strong
relationship with Bell and we believe that fans will take advantage of these
three platforms to live the new Habs experience,” said Pierre Boivin, President
and CEO, Club de hockey Canadien and evenko.

The official
Canadiens mobile app

Bell today unveiled
the official mobile application for the Canadiens, available to all wireless
customers on key mobile platforms such as Android, BlackBerry and iOS. The app
will provide news and official team statistics, and will enable any user to
vote for a game’s three stars.

Bell clients will
have access to game broadcasts from RDS and coach Jacques Martin’s first live
comments after the game. In addition, fans get access to a special social
network where they can exchange comments, photos and videos with other fans and
Bell customers can even instantly share their photos live on the Bell Centre
big screen. Details on how to download the application will be available at
bell.ca/canadiens.

TV series

A new reality show will give fans unprecedented
insight into life with the National Hockey League’s most storied franchise –
directly from the players’ perspective.

Each week, a camera will follow a different player in
his daily routine, giving fans an insider view into both his personal and
professional life. The 30-minute show will be made available first from Bell on
mobile, TV and online from November to December in English and French, before
it’s widely broadcast on RDS, TSN and V in January.

Three stars of the game

For the first time
in Canadiens’ history, the three stars of the game will be selected by fans,
rather than by members of the media, with voting online or by mobile phone.
Bell developed the mobile voting platform for this new approach that brings
fans closer to the game than ever before.

1. Da Hema says:

Yep. Democracy and market pandering have their disturbing sides.

————————

Nigel Tufnel: It really puts perspective in things, doesn’t it?

David St. Hubbins: Oh, too much. Too much fu*king perspective.

–This is Spinal Tap

2. fuhgawz says:

If it was an option i am sure some morons would vote for Jaro Halak every night as well.

3. fbkj says:

i hope so

i <3 chaos

and sanjaya

4. adam76 says:

This will lead to some interesting 3 star selections.  Saint John did the same thing a few years ago in the Quebec league.  I’ll never forget, the Seadogs lost 9 – 0, yet a hometown player still pulled 3rd star.  He must have been a monster in the faceoff circle.

5. fuhgawz says:

i agree to an extent — we had this problem last year and it has carried over i am going to hold on for hope that Lars is the guy managment thinks he will be.  As for Benny i do not know what to think of him. Has all the tools but only finds the ON switch once in a while.  He needs to be physical along with AK if they can bring that night in night out every shift then we have something.  I can see AK doing it but as far as Benny goes he seems disconnected.

6. SeriousFan09 says:

Some players are going to get cheated out of rightful selections on this I suspect.

7. fbkj says:

stubbs tweets

Bell launches #Habs app for various platforms, fans will now choose 3 stars online or by mobile phone”

horrible idea, sign me up

8. J Haul says:

To be fair to MAB, he also had that bit of offensive flair that we needed on the back end, especially with Markov out. OB doesn’t really have that redeeming offensive characteristic. It’s a bit harder to justify keeping in the defensive dman, who isn’t playing good D, than the offensive dman, who isn’t playing good D.

9. pic1983 says:

Its hard to say we “desperately” need a top 6 forward 2 games into the season.  Ryan Getzlaf has 0 points in his first 3 games, and I dont think anyone’s saying “anaheim needs to trade for a center” (granted its not the best example, but the point is to not pass judgement on players 2 games into the season).

Also, seeing as we have no cap space, trading for one is extremely difficult.  We’re going to have to tough it out with Lars and Pouliot and hope one of them actually knows the value of dollars and cents and establishes themselves.

10. SeriousFan09 says:

The horse is dead Loyalist, put down the whip.

11. Xtrahabsfan says:

Tomorrow ‘s game vs the Tampa bay Bulldogs with tell the tale of Carey Price’s tenure in Montreal. As I see it Carey can either be his best and prove too even the naysayer that he’s here to stay OR totally fall apart “having the fans boo at him” and self destruct,never to regain his consistency in a C.H. uni. You know what Boucher and his gang are going to try and do and they have the sharp shooters to do it and like Timo say’s ,the Habs have too GET THE LEAD AND KEEP IT! It will be a real good game ,can’t wait…….

12. 123456 says:

ducks have scored 2 goals – saku got them both!!

13. fbkj says:

you think guy boucher is hot?

14. J Haul says:

Yeah, you can’t place a ton of importance on the 3 stars, especially considering you’ll see different star selections for different broadcasts of the games. The Molson Cup is a nice little honour, but I doubt the players take it super seriously.

15. SmartDog says:

And that goofy… “oops! I did it again!” expression isn’t worth something?

O’Byrne needs to give himself a punch in the face now and then.  That’s what he needs. .

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

16. fuhgawz says:

I hope Gio, Gommer, and their rotating winger can put together some offense next game.  we desperately need another top 6 forward it isn’t even funny. Lars is not there yet and Benny .. well Benny just isn’t there. (so far)

17. TomNickle says:

I could go one further and put together a quick list of players and management members I’d like Yzerman to add to his organization at the expense of ours!  ;)

But I won’t.

18. LA Loyalist says:

Good thing we have a hot young coach in the wings if Martin screws this up. Guy Boucher is a real prospect… OH CRAP! I forgot!

“I thought we were talking about waitresses on Bishop St.”

19. Chorske says:

O’Byrne is kinda the new Chipchura. He needs to elevate his game a notch- or show clear signs of improvement- very soon, or he will be sent down and only brought up in extremis. The Habs could really use a guy with his attributes, he’s huge, and uh, he’s huge, and… er, he’s really really HUGE. If only that package also included some Pronger meanness and Josh Gorges stay-at-home reliability.

I really want O’Byrne to do well, but he’s disappointing me.

20. Wemindji_Habsfan says:

Screw Yzerman, Boucher and the rest of them

Go Habs Go

21. Thomas Le Fan says:

Bulldogs ain’t (automatically) Habs, mes amis. Hamilton South, I’ll accept using that “logic”.

22. Thomas Le Fan says:

… and these guys are … were … Habs? Not.

23. andrewberkshire says:

And the rest of the Bulldogs’ coaching staff.

24. Mark C says:

But he was going to challenge Price for a #1 NHL job…

25. SeriousFan09 says:

And until a TB goalie is injured, staying in Norfolk if Dustin Tokarski doesn’t beat him out for a short stint with the big club on an AHL team that wasn’t 2nd in the whole AHL last season. Coming up on 26 and can’t hold a No. 1 job in the AHL, you’d swear we traded away some future star netminder.

26. TomNickle says:

and Julien Brisebois, and Cedric Desjardins(even though he’s in Norfolk).

27. LA Loyalist says:

Touche. I had forgotten that one.

Though you have to admit H made up for it later :)

“Insert tagline here.”

28. Thomas Le Fan says:

The hockey I’ve watched, so far, says that O’B sits. The intangibles, I’ll leave to the coaching staff.

“Habs South”, by the way? Unless it’s based on French names on the roster it’s kind of a reach. Except for a coach that never actually coached here and a winger, Dominic Moore who had a short stint, I don’t see it.

Jolt the Bolts! Go Habs!

29. Number31 says:

Bulldogs season starts October 15th.

He’s been praised by Derek Wills and guest-colour commentator Brad “MAYDAY!” May during their preseason stint in Newfoundland against the B-Sens. He’s also like the youngest player on the team so patience is needed. Only problem is he’s apparently suffering from “lace bite” but it’s being taken care of, and he’s playing through it as well. He’s a tough kid and seems to be adapting to the speed and the North American style pretty nicely. Sure he’ll have an off game here or there but he came out very strong in his first game and did a good job in their last preseason game (scored in the shootout too).

30. fbkj says:

im pretty sure they are going to control who gets picked in this instance, theyll probably have a few folks watching the game for the purpose of determining who merits getting stars, say, 5 players, then let the votes determine the order of those five, ill bet cash money there wont be true transparancy around the vote count and we wont see much shennanigans

(i still think its a dumb idea but they wont let the fans truly control the picks)

… then again it is bell so what do i know

31. SeriousFan09 says:

The guy beat his entire KHL team by a full lap in a 10-lap circuit around the ice during a training session and has that slick Russian stickhandling plus the advantage of being 6’2″ and a RH shot. MTL couldn’t ask for a better winger to be coming up through the system.

32. SeriousFan09 says:

You know it’s Montreal when people complain about the colour of rally towels.

33. TheIndian says:

Yeah you are so right about that.  I had a chance to follow the training camp and he looked good to me during the rookie camp so I am sure with some experience of NA hockey in smaller rinks, he will be an awesome player to watch.  Patience is the key :-)

34. Storm Man says:

Thanks for the post, I have never been to a place with Cheval on the menu.

35. LA Loyalist says:

It was late 90’s, the place was up on St. Denis near Duluth (I think) or maybe up a bit further on the east side. In fact it was the Labor Day Weekend Princess Diana died. The story is the Brit photog kept complaining that he was so hungry he could eat a horse, he kept saying it, so when dinner time came I said nothing and just told the cab where to go.

He know enough school French to know “cheval” when he saw it on the menu in the window, turned a little green and decided that the place we’d eaten the night before had actually been quite good. So we got back in the cab :)

I tried “cheval” once in France, it tastes like very lean beef, like a skirt steak, not strong tasting. I just did it to try it, I wouldn’t have it again, I’m not so crazy a foodie.

Anyway, if I start talking about Montreal restaurants I’m going to get very depressed. Is L’Express still there and still good? They hung on a long time. I remember when it opened. Sigh.

36. SeriousFan09 says:

Early panic, the guy hasn’t played one pro game on NA ice yet, there’s going to be a transition period for him and adapting to smaller ice, much like Lars Eller did last season, who then became an AHL All-Rookie player.

37. SeriousFan09 says:

Yeah because losing to the Leafs on National TV has never happened before… Oh wait, it did in Game 82 of last year when Halak crapped the bed and nearly put us out of the playoffs.

38. habaddict_andy says:

Play Saturday then resk five days.  Sounds just about right to me.  He has been skating for awhile now.

Scott Gomez to Montreal Media “You’re a pain in the neck, but you’re our pain in the neck.”

39. fuhgawz says:

ok thanks — thought i read somewhere that he wasn’t panning out to well

40. habaddict_andy says:

You Psycho you!!  Lucky man don’t go easy on those rums.

41. SeriousFan09 says:

Hamilton Bulldogs for now and the Bulldogs have not begun their regular season yet.

42. fuhgawz says:

anyone know what is happening with alex avtsin???

43. HabFanSince72 says:

Once you start handing out white towels for playoff games you’ve reached the point of no return.

44. Keith says:

I had the same kind of deal when I was a kid in the 1970’s. The old lady down the street called the police on us and we had to stop playing for a while. But without vandalism.

45. ZepFan2 says:

Here you go… http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/97101

————————————————————————–

“Wonder how tomorrow could ever follow today.”

46. ZepFan2 says:

Paying it forward. ;)

————————————————————————–

“Wonder how tomorrow could ever follow today.”

47. _Habsoloutly_ says:

I don’t think the PP can afford to wait.

48. Psycho29 says:

Hey greetings from Santa Maria Cuba….30C here by the beach…AND I MISS HOCKEY!!!

Glad to find out that we beat the Pens on Saturday (Thank goodness for TVA in the hotel!!!)

Anyhow just thought I’d rub it in….Gotta run, my Rhum awaits by the pool !!!!!!

:-)

49. ZepFan2 says:

Considering we also eat poutine. Is horse meat that bad!? lol

————————————————————————–

“Wonder how tomorrow could ever follow today.”

50. Storm Man says:

Hmmmm. I have never had it and my Mother is 100 percent french born in France. What restaurants have horse on the menu? I was thinking I was on top of the best places in Montreal to eat ;).

51. krob1000 says:

When Peter Pocklington sold the Great One and sent him to Hollywood …….

52. light_n_tasty says:

Good grief! Calling the police on children playing street hockey in a cul-de-sac because they are making too much noise!?!  That is an affront to everything Canadian.  I’m glad I don’t have neighbours like that.

53. krob1000 says:

I would be shocked to see Markov play on Saturday…..I know he is a quick healer and all but after lookinga t the schedule…we play Wed, Fri and Sat…..then not again until next Thurs.  So why the rush? fopr one game? He can get another 5 days solid rehab adn play next Thurs or play one game on Saturday? He had better be 105 percent to take that risk (yes Bugs I know it technically isn’t possible).  I guess thereis the school of thought that he would have several days off after playing but to me it just doesn;t seem worth it…maybe if we lose wednesday and Friday it is possible but outside of that….I would just wait until next Thursday.  WHo knows he is the Cyborg but really for one game….vs 5 more days rehab and practicing at full speed…..I think I take the 5 days.

54. Aybara says:

As they said in the puck cast.. Letting the fans choose the announced three stars is the most stupid fkin idea I have heard in a while.

The Habs are supposed to be about class and no gimmicks. It won’t look like that when the crowd ironically picks Price as the first star in a 5-0 loss.. Or imagine the O’byrne own goal. Another spiteful star would have been awarded there I don’t doubt.

55. fbkj says:

not that la loyalist doesnt give me douchechills but yeah the french do eat horse and it is available at certain restaurants in MTL

56. Storm Man says:

So you’re saying french people cook and eat horse? I see you’re going to make lot’s of friends on here.

57. Storm Man says:

I guess you forget the NHL season is 82 games. If all you plan on doing is coming on here to crap on Price maybe take up surfing and go hang-ten.

58. Fant-HAB-ulous says:

OMG…a reality series about the Habs? When did hockey stop being about hockey?

59. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

I agree. I can imagine the following scenario:

Reporter: Must be hard to handle everyone.

Martin: That’s what she said.

60. sholi2000.com says:

Nice to see my work getting it done!

They Call Me Shane

61. PrimeTime says:

What else would you expect from a country that leads the world in growing Raspberries – it’s in their nature!

62. fuhgawz says:

PS3 NHL11

I traded Price and a 2nd to the Blues for Jaro and TJ — thier GM said they would be stupid not to make the trade.  I have played 6 games since and lost everyone of them.. Thanks Jaro

The Blues record since the trade — 6-0 Price 2 shutouts.

For this reason alone i know we held onto the right guy hahaha

if it happens on PS3 it must mean something right?

63. PrimeTime says:

You still don’t get it do you??? Never a post from you that doesn’t make a reference to Price -Halak (yes, they are both references to your narrow minded view of the team). You would think that someone who refers to himself to being an Extra Habs Fan would have a more broadened view of the team beyond one position.

64. TomNickle says:

Again, the fault should be placed at the feet of the goaltender!

65. pmaraw says:

are you talking about hamrlik?

66. HabFanSince72 says:

If you think Hab fans are bad when some of them boo Carey Price …

Today Serbia were playing Italy in a Euro 2012 qualifier in Genoa, Italy.

Some Ultras (essentially fascist football supporters) picketed the team hotel and attacked the team bus. The Serb goalie pulled out of the game after being threatened with physical violence..

Once in the stadium the Ultras made fascist salutes, booed their own national anthem, and threw flares and smoke bombs onto the pitch leading to cancellation of the game after only 3 minutes.

As of now the riot police are awaiting the fans outside the stadium.

67. LA Loyalist says:

I’ve eaten horse. Once in France and almost once up on St. Denis where I was torturing a British photographer who was claiming to be “so hungry he could eat a horse”.

But I blinked.

But you’re right. I must have the patience of Odysseus.

68. TomNickle says:

The third game of Price’s third season in the NHL will tell the tale of Price’s tenure in Montreal?

Get real.

69. LA Loyalist says:

that was funny. une chapeau.

Sorry, I can’t remember if a hat is masculin or feminin. I just know ties are feminin. which is weird.

70. LA Loyalist says:

Leafs. Opening night of the season. National television.

How soon we forget.

yeah, he redeemed himself in Pittsburgh, that gets him to .500

Plan the parade.

“I thought we were talking about waitresses on Bishop St.”

71. Born in a Bad Year says:

His soft play resulted in a opposition goal in both games.  Even O’Byrne scored a goal in the preseason.  Nothing special in that.

72. LA Loyalist says:

We need to scour Europe for a young goalie named Kierkegaard and sign him, then your comment would be legendary.

“I thought we were talking about waitresses on Bishop St.”

73. Castor says:

Great so, no matter what the outcome, three Habs will be the stars every game.

Think of the All Star Votes. What a stupid idea (unless they give you options on who to vote for)

74. TomNickle says:

For those of you who were saying that the Hjalmarsson hit was clean.  They just showed the reverse angle on Pardon the Interruption, the angle is clear and reveals something that wasn’t clear on the early angle.

Hjalmarsson not only blindsides Pominville, but he raises his left arm and elbows him in the back of the head during the hit too.

But like you guys have been saying all day, it wasn’t dirty and there was no intent.

75. otter649 says:

Suspended two games by NHL……

76. SeriousFan09 says:

Pierre Mcguire says that Jeff Finger to the AHL is not a cash dump.

Could he be kissing Burke’s rear any further?

77. andrewberkshire says:

McGuire sucking up to Burke? Next thing I know you’ll be saying there are 24 hours in the day!

78. ManApart says:

Why would he do that? It wasn’t even Burke who signed the guy. It was a good move for the organization. 3.5 mil in cap room is way more valuable than a guy sitting in the pressbox every night.

79. WarHero says:

Well folks….

In regards to that Hockey news I mentioned last week, I took a chance and because of it, I have been asked to write both live game blogs and non-live blogs for the OTTAWA 67’S!! No, it’s not an NHL club but it certainly is a step in the right direction and to be honest, I LOVE OHL hockey!

My first game blog will be on Friday, October 22nd against the Brampton Battalion and can be found here:

I will provide more details as they are worked out!!

Sooooooooooooooo excited!!!

————————————————————————

80. SeriousFan09 says:

Awesome! Congratulations on the opportunity.

Of course, it would have been much more impressive if you moved to London and started blogging Jarred Tinordi with the Knights :p

81. TomNickle says:

Good for you.  Congratulations.

82. TheIndian says:

Congrats.  It is surely fun when you get to write your own opinions or represent a certain team doing something for them.  Recently I have also been involved in working for http://www.habsindepth.com and write few articles there and I must say it has been challenging and fun at same time.  Given the opportunity to talk about Habs is awesome. I never had a chance to follow OHL hockey but I have heard from many people that it is as fun as any other hockey, if you love the sport.  So Wish you all the best.

83. Storm Man says:

Well Done :).

84. yathehabsrule says:

Congrats! You got your foot in the door, and that’s a start!

___________________________________________

Note the new digs! but yeah I’m still on Twitter!

85. fbkj says:

hey good for you man

86. Keith says:

Congrats man. Hope it all works out great for you.

87. Mothstoflame says:

Picking our 3 stars makes so much sense.  I mean, the nhl and teams are doing really with there pulblic relations.  It shows!,   Now…. lets see if we can get them to let us vote for our favorite all stars.  I dont think they ever let us do that   ;)

88. WarHero says:

They did when it was in Montreal like 2 years ago. Not the best way to do it though. To much favouritism.

————————————————————————

89. SeriousFan09 says:

Pretty sure the starting lineups for the All-Stars have been voted on by fans for a while, league GMs vote in the rest to make sure all teams have a participant.

90. Mothstoflame says:

my wink face was my scarasim face!.   My best friend is a die hard bruins fan.  And he always brings that one up druing an spout. But i would not have voted price if i knew he was gonna get hurt, and then blake wheeler get a hat trick in the young guns game.  had to hear about that one too

91. WarHero says:

I’ll be blogging the game when he comes here in Feb. I am hoping to secure an interview with him :)

————————————————————————

92. TomNickle says:

2 games for Hjalmarsson?

The NHL is as dedicated to getting these headshots and blind side hits out of the game as I am in seeing the Leafs win a cup.

This is ridiculous

I know he wasn’t a repeat offender.  But this has star implications all over it.  The NHL is clearly worried that because Hjalmarsson doesn’t have a history they couldn’t set the bar high.  If they had, Ovechkin and Hossa would command lengthier suspensions if they should have a repeat of their infractions last season.

Complete joke.

93. SeriousFan09 says:

Now to be fair, it’s the start of the season, Colin Campbell just got his Wheel of Justice unpacked and that thing has always tended to get stuck on “2” if he doesn’t give it a really good spin.

But seriously, this is a load of BS considering Wiz’s little gesture got him the same. Kids more traumatized by that, or guys getting carted off the ice? You decide folks.

94. derfab says:

Agree. 5 minimum. Really cheap and obviously illegal hit. Many bad injuries and another Bertuzzi-Moore incident are inevitable until the punishments fit the crimes.

95. JasonM says:

I agree Tom.

I cannot believe how such a hit that could end someone’s season can only be for 2 games. How is a half-week suspension accountable to such an action? I truly wish the media would massively pan such a slap on a wrist to that kind of cowardly hit.

96. Bob Barker says:

It was a questionable hit but I wouldn’t call it a headshot. Pominville hit his head on the boards subsequent to the hit. He didn’t hit him in the numbers either.

Pominville was in a vulnerable position though and Hjamarlsson came in with a lot of speed.

I thought Richards on Booth last year was much worse.

You can actually see at around 2:34 Pominville looks over his shoulder.

97. Mr-T says:

Alright Tom, enough of the histrionics. I thought that you, could comprehend the intricacies of the procedural structure set forth in an underlying bureaucracy organization, especially in matters like this, whereby decisions  often appear inexplicable.

Support Carey Price         “Hypocrisy is not a virtue”

98. TomNickle says:

Exactly.

If Pominville were a star player or Avery hadn’t been the one who started that joke with Wiesnewski, those suspensions would certainly be longer.

It’s almost entrapment at this point.  Go ahead and hit Pominville in the head as hard as you can Nik.  Now, when Willie Mitchell does it to Dany Heatley in game #22.  We’ll slap him with 8 games.

Tell the players you’re going to be harsh and give the first guy who lays a hit which in my opinion is comparable to Cooke, Richards and the more severe instances, 2 games.

It’s a damn early vacation.

99. TomNickle says:

Moore didn’t deserve a suspension.  He hit a player with his shoulder who saw him coming in open ice.

Completely different circumstances.

But I agree that somebody’s going to get fed up and take matters into their own hands.

100. Everlasting1 says:

Here’s my perspective of the ongoing controversial hit in this CONTACT sport called hockey. The only intent for such a hit should be strategic ie. preventing the opposing player from making a play and/or taking him off the puck. That’s the game plan. There’s always a risk of injury in a fast paced contact sport.

We need to look at these questionable hits on an individual basis. I deem Djalmarsson’s hit as excessive due to the fact he came at him at a good klip. A point of contention is whether or not it was a blindside hit. It looks to me he initially came at him blindside, but the hit wasn’t, and Pominville saw it coming.

If you want to talk about intent and suspensions, I say enforce the roughing/fighting in the game. Intent to injure? You bet! It has no place in this game. Just a point to the moralists out there.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

101. Exit716 says:

Gee and Lapierre got four games for pushing some scrub from San Jose into the boards.

102. Redlight Racicot says:

Good job Colin Campbell. So an “obscene gesture” = hit from behind/to the head.

Good thing Hjalmarsson didn’t give the middle finger to Pominville, he would have been gone for another 2 games.

103. Hagar says:

The world’s gone mad.

104. Everlasting1 says:

Good call Mr.Cambell..after all, obscene gestures are not appropriate for family entertainment, but fighting is. Way to set the standards.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

105. TomNickle says:

In my view Pominville looks to his right to see if he has somebody coming through the zone to pass to.

And despite Mike Johnson’s analysis on TSN.  Hjalmarsson clearly hits Pominville in either the upper part of the neck or the lower part of the head.

And if he didn’t intend to do any damage, why wouldn’t he just pin Pominville up against the boards or make a play on the puck in that spot?

106. oshawahabsfan says:

He hit him with his numbers facing him, doesn’t get any more clear cut than that, you need to look again. He looks over his shoulder for teammates for when he receives the puck, which wasn’t anywhere near him when he was hammered by this idiot. Injuries need to become part of the equation, if Pominville can’t play in two games then the guy who put him out of action shouldn’t be either

107. oshawahabsfan says:

I think they instructed Johnson to say that, they wouldn’t want a former player crapping all over the league on national television. There’s no way he can defend this hit

108. TomNickle says:

How would TSN and Mike Johnson have reacted if it were Kris Versteeg and not Jason Pominville?

My guess, 20 games wouldn’t have been enough.

109. Bob Barker says:

I’m not saying it’s a clean hit and I think in hindsight Hjalmarsson would reconsider the play but I didn’t find it was a malicious intent to injure like Richards on Booth and Cooke on Savard.

Hjalmarrson should use better judgment but Pominville should also protect himself a little better than standing still waiting for a slow-moving puck.

110. TomNickle says:

Okay.  Booth should keep his head up more, Savard should be aware of when Cooke’s on the ice.

Hjalmarsson shouldn’t be excused by this and when a player doesn’t see you coming in from behind and you’ve timed his pass while his back is turned from you.  A simple stick lift would’ve resulted in a turnover for Hjalmarsson there.

It’s just as malicious as Richards and Cooke’s hits were.  And him apologizing afterward publicly means nothing to me.  It’s not as if he’s gonna go on the record saying he’d make the play again and that he doesn’t feel bad.

111. TomNickle says:

I can watch the Richards hit on Booth and say that if nothing else, Richards was trying to separate his man from the puck.  What is Hjalmarsson’s goal if leveling Pominville wasn’t it?

112. LA Loyalist says:

You may have hit on a formula – if the guy you hit is out X games, you are out X games.

If the guy’s career is done – you go play in Europe.

That would take care of things. What do you guys think?

“We can always call up Boucher if Martin stumbles — OH CRAP!.”

113. fbkj says:

agreed except for the europe part

work a deal with all leagues to have them banned

including the asian league

make em get real jobs

114. SeriousFan09 says:

Mcguire refuses to call it what it is, a cash dump, just like Redden. A guy who was hideously overpaid and they decided to get him off the cap by sending him to the minors. Making up some story about building up his value… Oh come on, everyone knows Jeff Finger isn’t worth his salary, or even half of it. Maybe the NYI would like him on re-entry waivers so they can pretend to field a competitive team while just meeting the cap floor with buyouts and bonus-enhanced EL contracts boosting payroll.

115. saskhabfan says:

Ok Ian, win a couple of rounds? I can tell you are a big dreamer. If they squeak into the playoffs, and that is a huge if (odds are against it). There is no way this team can handle anyone in this conference who they might play. This team gets pounded by teams fighting for Taylor Hall, now you think they can beat the Pittsburghs, Washingtons or Jerseys of the world in a playoff atmosphere. Ha! you know less about hockey than I thought

116. fbkj says:

note to self.; do not cross saskhabsfan

brutal LOL

117. andrewberkshire says:

Epic. Even more epic that he’s insulting one of the classiest guys on this website.

118. Storm Man says:

Perfect. It just show’s what a donkey manapart is.

119. ZepFan2 says:

That’s an insult to all hardworking burros.

———————————————————————-

“Wonder how tomorrow could ever follow today.”

120. saskhabfan says:

LOL,actually i’m not that bad. I know sometimes i come off sounding like an aSS but i only give it to the guys who ask for it. Like the dude i burned above. There’s nothing wrong with criticizing management or coaching as long as it’s at least somewhat constructive. But the guys i give it to are like manapart, who just get off on trashing posts and insulting personally insulting posters in the process. I think i’m going to take his post and make it my new signature. I’m sure he would just love that,lol.

121. fbkj says:

I was contemplating taking a screenie and making it my avatar it was so win

good job lol

122. OneTimer says:

Aragorn’s been silenced!!

Beautiful… :)

123. ManApart says:

It’s not like I was way off. They did squeak into the playoffs and were outplayed handily in all 3 series. If it wasn’t for Halak, what i said would happen is exactly what would have happened. No one could have predicted the miracles of Halak. He wasn’t even starting when I posted what I posted, it was Price. The  Price team would have went exactly how I predicted, it was the Halak team that made the difference.

124. JD_ says:

* Guy Boucher commentin’ on the Habs ahead of tomorrow night’s home-opener, “I have been looking at them on video now and they look even better than last year. I think they have more drive and I think they’re going to be a very hard team to beat.” Yeah, whatever. Would have been a hell of a lot more interestin’ if Guy had said what he’s really thinkin’, “F*****’ homecoming, baby! Let’s cave in some Hab skull!”

* “Hey, Wizzy, what’d you do to get the two games?”, is not a question James Wiseneieniskeiwksi wants to be answerin’ right about now.

* Brian Burke on puttin’ Finger through waivers, “We have not buried Jeff Finger. He needs to get back on his game.” No, of course not. And Bill Clinton did not have sexual relations with that woman. Just fer s***s ‘n’ giggles, I effin’ hope Kevin Lowe has the Oilers claim Finger off reentry waivers if and when it happens, then dump him in Edmonton’s minor league affiliate, just to once again piss off Burkie.

* What does a defenceman get when he sticks his hand in the cash till in the new NHL? A redden souray finger. Booya, baby!

* What the Duck? 0-3 to start the season, havin’ already faced 145 shots and with a -11 goal differential. Three of the bottom four in the league’s +/- rankin’s are, as expected, Ducks, includin’ Ryan Getzlaf at -5. If it’s any consolation for Ryan, last season’s Calder winner, Tyler Myers, is also at -5.

125. SeriousFan09 says:

Ask a guy to waive his NTC, you’re terrible. You send your defencemen to the AHL to ‘build his value’ you’re a saint.

126. TomNickle says:

I’d hate to see how Finger’s playing if he isn’t performing as well as Komisarek lately.

Jesus he must be pretty bad right now.

127. Keith says:

“A redden souray finger”, you ARE baaaaaaaaaaaaaadd lol!

128. Oddball says:

Tom the Bomb recieved a three game suspension for a hit that was ruled ‘hitting from behind’, although I still say Van Ryn the leaf, had possesion of the puck and purposely turned his back on the play. If he continues on behind the net, no foul, no injury. They should have given Van Ryn four games for being stupid….and a five for being leaf.

Pomenville had no chance to move or adjust to the hit, he barely had possesion of the puck, if in fact he did have possesion. Like a coward, Hjalmarsson blind sided him. Hjalmarsson gets a two game suspension.

Wisniewski gets two games for impersonating Linda Lovelace.

Welcome to Gary Betman’s NHL. Great message there Gary. What a farce.

..always with the negative waves, Moriarty, always with the negative waves..

129. JIMVINNY says:

Yep, the comparisons make the suspension look pitiful.

What is it? Not even a week into the regular season and the NHL is already becoming a circus side-show.

All I can say is, “Jonathan, Jonathan, Jonathan….

131. twilighthours says:

Question for the more knowledgeable commentariat:

What’s the deal with Z Chara’s new extension?  As I understand it, he’s at (approx) 6.5 mil cap hit for the first 6 years, then a cap hit of 4 for the last year.  Is this true?  Am I getting this correctly?

If I am, then the CBA has been modified to allow this type of contract.

To which I say, “whoa, how is this fair?  What about all those contracts signed before this modification?  Can we get relief on Gomez’ cap hit in the last year of his contract?”

132. Bryan says:

I think the rule ammendment to the CBA doesn’t have an impact on this contract because of Chara’s age.  I think the cap hit is constant throughout.

_______________________________

The Habs are making me Bi-Polar.

133. SeriousFan09 says:

Chara’s cap hit doesn’t go super-low to league minimum in the final years so it isn’t a violation.

134. Mikey_39 says:

So blindside hit (2games)=Obscene Gesture (2games) < Lappy’s shove (4 games) = NHL continuing to be a joke

135. TripleX says:

Can’t wait for the game tomorrow.  There are so many side stories to the game that it feels like a playoff situation.  Third game of the season and the pressure on the team to win must be immense.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

136. avatar_58 says:

It’s only “immense” if you care that much about Boucher. To me it’s just another game. I don’t understand the irrational hardon for some team down south.

137. ZepFan2 says:

I still don’t get why Wisniewski was suspended.

He was just letting Avery know he has a big mouth.

————————————————————————–

“Wonder how tomorrow could ever follow today.”

138. spoonfullofjelly says:

Wouldn’t it be nice to have Cliff Lee pitching in game 5 of the playoffs in an Expos jersey right now?

sigh….

139. JasonM says:

If that was the same player taking Crosby out in the EXACT same Pominville hit. How many games?

140. JD_ says:

I haven’t looked into the details of Chara’s new contract, but accordin’ to the Kovy amendment, which is what the NHLPA agreed to if the NHL ended the all the long-term contract investigations and grandfathered all the deals, any years after the player’s 41st birthday are not included in the calculation of the contract’s average cap hit.

The cap hit in the years followin’ the 41st birthday is the actual salary in that year. The $4M is the actual salary in the last year of Chara’s contract, which is the year after he turns 41.

There are a couple of other new things in the Kovy amendment, includin’ the fact that it is bein’ treated as a temporary agreement and will not automatically roll over into the new CBA when the current one expires in 2012. Negotiatin’ hard language around the cap, in order to deter any more aggressive circumvention – there is and will always be circumvention, the question is to what extent it will be permitted – should be a real barn-burner.

141. LA Loyalist says:

How many are left? 80?

142. LA Loyalist says:

If they spank us at home you may understand – or not.

143. Exit716 says:

Colin Campbell metes out discipline in the same manner that Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty creates policy.

144. SeriousFan09 says:

And if we destroy them what, it was Guy Boucher being nice to us?

He doesn’t have the puck-movers on D he had in Hamilton to use his system and he’s short of useful role-players, a 60-minute game favours the Habs provided Carey is solid in nets.

145. andrewberkshire says:

For HIO members who joined that Leaf fan’s pool, the draft is in 30 minutes.

146. fbkj says:

and if they dont spank us at home you may understand – or not

magicccc

147. LA Loyalist says:

I actually just care about 2 points in general and getting off to a good start at home in particular. If Price plays like in Pittsburgh we should be ok.

I also think Domenic Moore will show up tomorrow night.

“insert tagline here”

148. avatar_58 says:

Home, away – makes no difference. 2 points is 2 points. They lose this, win the next, or win this – lose the next. I’m sorry I don’t see what makes this game any different than the next 50 or so.

149. SmartDog says:

10-15

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

150. fbkj says:

151. larisalapointe says:

I didn’t find it offensive but bloody hilarious. Immature but hilarious. Not worth a suspension at all.

Not even worth alot of press coverage considering all the other obscenities we read on lips.

There’s only so many times you can use a sloppy seconds joke.

153. larisalapointe says:

It seems before every game there are the doomsdayers. How about Habs win 5-0? or 5-1 gotta give a chance for ppl to complain about another softie. lol

154. _Habsoloutly_ says:

i got the 6th pick

155. Mattyleg says:

Don’t get me started on the ‘Spos…

sigh…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

156. saskhabfan says:

The thing is you have to put a stop to it early or else it just sets a precedent where other players can get away with making obscene gestures. Don’t forget this is also on t.v. where young children watch. How would you like to have to explain to your children what the guy was doing? Or having young hockey players doing this to opposing players since kids seem to imitate what they see the pro’s do. I do admit though,it made me laugh.

157. PrimeTime says:

No different than any other home opener……the “immense pressure” is more in your view than the players. 1 game against Boucher’s Bolts wont change anything win or lose.

158. SeriousFan09 says:

Go to hell! 12th pick again for me…

159. larisalapointe says:

I’ll tell you a funny story about my own daughter. She was talking to a friend and a stranger came up to her and said, “Miss, do you realize that every 2nd word you use starts with F? And she said, “but sir, it’s part of the English language now”

So on second thought, definitely we don’t want young kids imitating those gestures. lol

160. Thomas says:

Has anyone tried getting the new app they mention from Bell for their iPhone, can’t seem to find it anywhere…?

161. fbkj says:

its been submitted

we must wait for apple to approve

162. habs001 says:

if we can pick up 12 points every 10 games that would put us easily in the playoffs….the game vs tampa would be nice to win but not life and death….pp will be very important…plecks still very weak in winning draws at start of the pp and he lost 2/3 at the end of the pitts game in our zone…

163. habs001 says:

we need markov back on the pp and when he and pk play together they should sometimes be selfish and not over pass…the problem of the second pp unit is that gorges on the point provides limited goal scoring opportunities and hammer there will help but that will also increase the % that we give up short handed goals…

164. Da Hema says:

Meaning, they are arbitrary, non-transparent, and incoherent?

Let’s designate such people “Colton McCampbells.”

————————

Nigel Tufnel: It really puts perspective in things, doesn’t it?

David St. Hubbins: Oh, too much. Too much fu*king perspective.

–This is Spinal Tap

165. Say Ash says:

you had me at “we need markov back”

166. Bugs says:

How much any’o’yehs wanna bet that the Artiste is gonna wind up 1st star of the game one of these fan-selected nights?

I know I’M votin for’m.

Hey, don’t look at me like that; you wanna let the nutters run the nuthouse; this is what you GET!

Decadently yours, I recline as

167. _Habsoloutly_ says:

I got a lot of habs.  Cammy, Pleks, Subban, Gionta, Eller, A Kos and Hammer.

168. Malreg says:

I think it’ll be Markov-Spacek and Hamrlik-Subban for the PP pairings.  Both PK and Markov like to play the left side.

169. ari says:

any one watching cnn? they start rescuing the miners

170. king ddd says:

way off topic and im not trolling either. someone posted below a comment about the expos, as a kid i used to love baseball, is there any chance the mlb returns to montreal

.::DON’T MESS WITH THE MOENATOR!::.

171. Harani says:

I’m watching! That is just amazing! Beautiful really! That’s what life is all about!

“It must be love!”

172. ZepFan2 says:

You tell your kid he just asked the other player if he wanted to go get a bite after the game.

;)

————————————————————————–

“Wonder how tomorrow could ever follow today.”

173. andrewberkshire says:

Zero chance.

174. Da Hema says:

You are wrong Andrew. There is a less than zero chance.

————————

Nigel Tufnel: It really puts perspective in things, doesn’t it?

David St. Hubbins: Oh, too much. Too much fu*king perspective.

–This is Spinal Tap

175. andrewberkshire says:

Yeah, that’s true. What the hell was I thinking?

176. Da Hema says:

We all err from time to time.

————————

Nigel Tufnel: It really puts perspective in things, doesn’t it?

David St. Hubbins: Oh, too much. Too much fu*king perspective.

–This is Spinal Tap

177. observer says:

yeah  right! as much chance of quebec city ever getting a nhl team again. in both cases hinging on a new stadium built. there are lots of worse markets in the usa for baseball than montreal and/or toronto. watch how tampa bay draws next year after the start of the core leaving this winter. if a stadium is built here there will be mlb here again. the canadian economy is doing better than the one south of here – at least currently.

178. Da Hema says:

I recall 1994 as if it were yesterday. The Expos were 10 games ahead of the Braves, and gaining further momentum, and the attendance at Olympic Stadium was under 23,000. People can say all they want about the stadium being a mausoleum and other such excuses. Interest in baseball in Montreal declined steadily throughout the 1980s, and the organization was sustained mainly by the deep pockets of Charles Bronfman. What happened to the Expos was a tragedy–no one loved the team more than I did–but fan support was deplorable, even when the team was winning. Montreal does not deserve another MLB team.

————————

Nigel Tufnel: It really puts perspective in things, doesn’t it?

David St. Hubbins: Oh, too much. Too much fu*king perspective.

–This is Spinal Tap

179. rocketsglare says:

The human spirit to overcome adversity or tragedy. Very uplifting and moving!

180. HamiltonHabs says:

I thought Picard played much better than O’byrne?

181. G-Man says:

Interactivity is nice. In some cases, it actually makes you feel like you matter in the scheme of things. However, I believe fans voting for the 3 stars is a really bad idea on a par with fans voting for All-Stars and stuffing ballot boxes?

182. marlboro says:

will there be one for IPad?

183. observer says:

yes 1994 was the final straw for the expos back BUT for other “smaller market” as they call them teams it was as well. you notice pittsburgh who was up there for years, toronto too have never been close to the playoffs for many years now. and yankees and red sox and angels teams who never were dominant in the earlier period became powers with the growing gap in salaries paid. cleveland lost 2 cy young winners in a row – sabathia and lee. i believe they had the worst attendence in mlb this year. oakland is the same a former power trying to play it cheap when others spend big bucks. the yankees are basically an all-star team plucked from other teams best players – a rodriguez, sabathia, even petite was pulled back, burnett, swisher, granderson, thames, tejeira, berkman, etc., etc. montreal fans saw this happening before those in many usa cities did. but now they see it there too though the fox or tbs announcers wont talk about it. toronto used to draw 49,000 e4ach and every game for a few years – now 10,000 is a routine turnout as they have not made the playoffs once since the lockout. a salary cap and a stadium and mlkb will be back in montreal.

184. fbkj says:

iphone apps generally work on the ipad

185. SlovakHab says:

A season-opener win would be nice. Get the crowd on your side early!!

186. LA Loyalist says:

This is a miracle on the order of the loaves and fishes, but I agree with Tom, that hit was utterly unnecessary and excessive and dangerous.

“We can always bring up coach Boucher if Martin stumbles… OH CRAP!!!”

187. No et al says:

Not sure I wouldn’t keep Picard in the lineup and sit out O’Byrne. I like the kid, but he still has some learning to do. Picard has been the better of the two.

188. otter649 says:

Plus Huet…….

189. SeriousFan09 says:

Hamrlik back in will help out on defence especially with a team that’s going to be swinging at us all-offence to cover up their crappy D and goaltending.

190. lefreak says:

picard needs to sit for this one and not obyrne imo.

I think this is what the article is saying… Picard practiced with Markov on the 4th D unit – hence he will most likely be a spectator against TB

192. secretdragonfly says:

Leafs put Finger on waivers

Looks like teams continue the trend of sending over-priced, under-performing players to their AHL affiliates.

193. fuhgawz says:

another STUPID contract for an average player

194. J Haul says:

“Wilson, also told the media that the club was not ‘burying’ Finger’s $3.5 million salary…”

Well if Wilson said so, you know it must be true! haha.. who are these guys kidding? Of course they’re burying his salary. Do they not think people can see through their idiotic lie? Fans know it and I’m sure potential free agents can see it too.

For Carey Price’s sake I hope Habs do not trail at any point during the game.

196. fuhgawz says:

na habs fans have changed this season ….. rolls eyes

197. dbens says:

I hate when the lightning come to town i feel like we just cant beat them @ home….not basing that on any statistical reference just the feeling i have when they come to the bell

198. flowerpower_74 says:

I know what you mean, I remember going to watch them play at the Bell in 2000-2001 and we got shut-out by a guy named Kevin Weekes….Kevin effin Weekes?

Habs will gel as a team.

199. TomNickle says:

Either O’Byrne or Picard in the pressbox is a win for us.

Immediate upgrade.  Even if it is mr. turnover coming into the lineup.

200. Max_a_million says:

The hit was blindsided yes, but not from behind. It’s a common hit in football, which I have been playing for 20 years now.  It’s called being decleated.

I do have plenty videos of the games if you would really like to see it, although I doubt you would it would interfere from you making all kinds of assumptions about me.

Funny I was called about a 100 names worse than ‘little guy’ for thinking the hit was unfortunate, but not illegal.  It’s not ok for me to say anything in return though I guess.

These hits will happen in hockey yes, if it causes that much outrage one would be better off to watch something less physical.

201. Mike T says:

I would rather see O’Byrne in the pressbox…Picard hasn’t looked too bad..he’s no PP QB mind you haha

202. J Haul says:

I thought he went by Mr. Puck-over-glass-penalty?

In all seriousness though, Hammer was very solid for us a lot of last year. Chewed up a TON of minutes while Markov was out. His age started to show late though, likely due in part to his large number of minutes. I think he’ll be just fine… if he stops throwing the puck over the glass.

203. SLONCOLD says:

football != hockey

please note i didn’t resort to any naming calling with you or belittling remarks.

204. TomNickle says:

Haha, nice dig.

I don’t like either one so I’m happy.