Audio: Halak is NHL’s 1st star of the week

• AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Jaro Halak | Brian Gionta | Hal Gill | Josh Gorges

Goalie Jaroslav Halak has been named the NHL’s first star of the week. Halak had back-to-back shutouts Friday in Philadelphia (35 saves) and Saturday in Montreal vs. Buffalo (29) saves to earn the honour. Second star? Former Canadiens captain Saku Koivu of the Anaheim Ducks; third star is Boston Bruins goalie Tuukka Rask.

It is Halak’s second first-star selection this season.

Defenceman Jaroslav Spacek made today’s flight to Long Island, having missed the past two games with a virus. Spacek is back on practice ice in Brossard this morning. That doesn’t mean Spacek is sure to play tomorrow, with head coach Jacques Martin saying further evaluation will be made on game day.

The Habs can clinch a playoff berth tomorrow. One more Canadiens win and one more New York Rangers loss – the Rangers are in Buffalo on Tuesday – puts Montreal in the postseason. There’s more arithmetic at work; we’re putting it into our blender and will try to spell it all out.

Live Canadiens updates here via Twitter.

1. TOEmastro says:

Timo: The most infamous fan on the H I/O blog!

2. Matt_in_TO says:

Congrats to Jaro.  Nice to see Saku with the second star as well.

– Guy Boucher for head coach

3. adam76 says:

sweeeeeeet!

4. C-Dawg says:

I am one who has posted I expect Price to have a long sucessful career, but not in Montreal. I never said I didn’t want it to be in Montreal, but I would be very surprised to see Price stay after the way he’s been treated by Montreal media and the Bell Center fans. I expect him to agree to a contract that will keep him here til he can be an UFA, and then bolt, and I wouldn’t blame him.

I would love to see the Bell Center fans and the local media embrace him, but history isn’t on Price’s side…..look at the list of names the geniuses have run out of town, starting with Roy. We have given away more talent over the past 20 years than any other team.

5. adam76 says:

How many games did Halak start after a loss?

6. Daard says:

It’s not a matter of not wanting him to succeed here. In my case, I’d like nothing better than to see him go on to win the Vezina wearing a Habs jersey.

But, I highly doubt that the frnachise, the fans, or our ever-lovin’ ever-lastin’ medi will ever give him a chance to properly develop here. For the rest of his career in Montreal, no matter how long that may be, he’s never going to be cut some slack. As soon as he doesn’t play stellar hockey every single game, he’s going to get booed again and again.

So, as my opinion is concerned, I’d rather see him go and succeed on a massive scale someplace else; sooner than crap and scrape every inch of the road, fighting for a bit of respect in this toilet of a hockey town.

Plainly stated, I’d rather see him play and win for even the Leafs than end up another Patrice Brisebois here.

7. Matt_in_TO says:

You got some pent up criticism you’re looking at unleashing??

– Guy Boucher for head coach

8. adam76 says:

Montreal is a unique hockey environment.  Many players are not menatally strong enough, and don’t have the off ice discipline to survive in Montreal.  Look at Latendress – he increased is offensive output five time over with the Wild.  He would never have those numbers in Montreal.

Not everyone is strong enough to handle the pressure of Montreal.

9. Jordio-oh says:

Yes, definitely.

10. Chuck says:

Then when Carey takes back the starters role next season, I expect that you won’t characterize it as “lucky”.  😉

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

11. Ronan G says:

ditto.

being french canadian, I am used to listening to french people’s constant judgemental upbringings and will blame it on that. It’s like french people love pointing out faults on others so they can continue on merrily in their own egos. I am proud to be french, but this is why people make fun of the french. CAUSE WE CAN BE PIG HEADED.

“The NHL was going to test the Stanley Cup for lysteria, but then they realized it hasn’t touch a Maple Leaf product in over 42 years!”

12. ed lopaz says:

I believe that MOST habs fans agree with you entirely.

Most fans were also saying all along that goaltending was NOT the issue on this team.

Most fans would be happy for Price to play (or Halak) as long as the team wins.

Most Habs fans are good fans!!

I have been a Habs fan since 1979

1986, and 1993 – were unbelievable.

Montreal is the best hockey town in the world, and habs fans all over the world, are the best fans!!

13. Say Ash says:

Put them in a frame next to your Expos 1981 World Series tickets – or maybe that’s just me…

14. Chuck says:

Halak started the season as the backup (though not in JM’s mind), started the 3rd game of the season, has 40 starts, and will be given the starter’s role in the playoffs.

That’s not exactly what I call “lack of support” when your backup goalie to start the year is given those number of chances to shine.

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

15. Ronan G says:

I’m 100% in the Halak is our starter state of mind. Halak is the better goalie as of right now, to what the future holds, who the hell knows. (Never would have thought the Coyotes would be where they are right now) Anybody would have mental issues playing in a city where your the games 3rd star and you get booed. (Absolutely insane, and to have the coach not back you up in the media is absurd) We can’t have Halak being a Luongo playing every game in net just to have him burnt out for the most important time of the year. Welcome to the New NHL. You need 2 good goalies. Guess what we have 2 great goalies. This team just lacks a solidified D-unit. We are slow and get burnt by fast players. Price is our future whether everyone likes it or not. But right now it all depends on Carey Price. Would he want to re-sign with us knowing you guys are all schyzophrenic and change your favorite players like you change your underwear.

16. adam76 says:

wut?  Why would Price slap me with money?  Can I keep the money he hits me with?

17. Chuck says:

I keep seeing this kind of thing posted over and over again:

“Price is going to have an awesome career, just not in Montreal.” “The kid is going to be a superstar; just not in Montreal.” “Carey’s got the tools to be a thoroughbread, but it won’t be in Montreal.” “He’s probably win a Stanley Cup one day, but it won’t be with Montreal.”

So let me ask you this: If you think that he’s going to have a long, awesome career as a superstar goalie who will probably win a Stanley Cup, WHY THE HELL WOULDN’T YOU WANT HIM TO DO IT IN MONTREAL?!”

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

18. adam76 says:

Congrats to Halak.  26-12-3, a .927 save percentage, a 2.31 goals-against average.  Amazing numbers.  I honestly believe that if Martin had started you in10 to 15  more games, we would be in 4th place with home ice advantage.

You earned your success – it was not easy but you got the job done in spite of lack of support from this franchise.

19. matraque says:

Last time i checked, he’s playing for the Ducks.

——

Komisarek: 0 – 4 – 4 (-9)

20. Jordio-oh says:

It is incomprehensible how many of you fools don’t understand that its totally fine to favor Halak without having to go the extra lengths to hate on Carey. You like Halak? Great. You think he’s the better goalie and will always be that way? Excellent. But is it necessary to publicly display hate ( or jealousy) for a young kid who, despite what most of you think, is working in practice and playing well in his most recent games?

If Carey ever gets traded, or if he chooses not to resign with us because of how he’s treated, i hope he comes back in 5 years and slaps all of you in the face with a huge stack of money while you are at home working on your gardens or sitting in your cubicles at work unhappy with how you’re living your life.

I love halak, but I don’t hate Price (amazing concept right???) And i certainly don’t use a made up user name and icon to shred on him because he makes more money than i ever will and i don’t think he’s ‘earned’ what he’s achieved thus far in his career.

21. Danno says:

Good read. Thanks Shublips.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

22. skoalbandit33 says:

thanks!

well, hopefully its habs/ sabers round one, and habs in 7

23. Habscore says:

Very proud of him! He deserves every single mention he got.
    He makes me very proud to be a Habs fan.

24. adam76 says:

Luck is how losers justify defeat.  No such thing as luck.

25. Chuck says:

They turn into a pumpkin at the stroke of midnight.

Actually, you’d have your money refunded to you.

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

26. Danno says:

Definitivement.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

27. matmacat says:

If Ovechkin played here, he would love all the attention. Some people have what it takes to be celebrities, others can’t handle it. This goes for role players as much as it does star players.

28. joeybarrie says:

There is only room for 1 player in the goals. Your guy is the best. Every game Price played Halak would have done better, and vice versa. Its so stupid.

Price will have to win the #1 back from Halak. Or one of them will be traded. This is a good thing. Price has done well this season. He has had some bad luck and some mental issues, mostly external issues. Brought on by unrealistic expectations. But he is young, and so is Halak. This is great for both of them. Price just has to learn how to deal with it, and play. He will be GREAT. Halak has looked great. If this is as good as he gets, then I will be happy next season. But trust me.  Price will be incredible. And I just hope it is in a Habs jersey. Either way, the fans have nothing to do with it. So why are we so obsessed? Because we have nothing else. Its sad.

Halak is winning. We are playing Halak. If it doesnt work out, only a fool would not want to have Price there. But then again we are pretty foolish in Montreal. Roy has 9 goals scored on him in 1 game, and we send him to win 2 Stanley Cups in Colorado with the Nordiques 2.0…  That was awesome….

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

29. Ronan G says:

There is an auto-refund.

30. Chuck says:

Amen…

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

31. skoalbandit33 says:

hey guys, i just bought tickets to game 7 in buffalo. If there is no need for a 7, what happens to the tickets?

32. Chuck says:

If they’re going to make the playoffs, then Carey needs the final game or two to get some minutes under his belt in case he’s needed during the postseason.

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

33. matmacat says:

Jaro 3rd star so far this season. Good for him! Guess who’s in first and second?

34. SPATS says:

He’s been our 1st start most of the year… We should still play him to win every game regardless, he’s a workhorse (as opposed to a thoroughbred) The more he plays the better he plays, and we need the mojo heading into the 2nd season – preferrably starting against Buffalo.

35. Ronan G says:

I don’t get the use of resentment + Carey Price. Everybody is whacked if they resent Carey Price. The kid has a .912 Save Pct. He’s been playing lights out, and has all the tools to be a bonafied star. The problem is the other goalie is winning games. It’s upto the city and the fans to stop booing the kid because his team has late game collapses. (To which I blame the coach, for his sit back and let them come at us strategy when we have a lead, it drives me nuts!! There is such a strategy as playing in the offensive zone with the lead but not aggressively) And if it weren’t for bad luck Carey Price wouldn’t have any luck whatsoever. So boo birds have shame, cause Carey Price hasn’t been the problem THIS season. YOU HAVE.

CHEERS

36. Ronan G says:

CHEERS

37. joeybarrie says:

Expectations too high in this city???? NEVER…  Its simple. you play well your loved. You have a bad game or two and its ship you out time. The players get used to this. Except Lats. Look at how terrible he is doing in Minni. I mean how did we even give him a chance.

Soon it will be Pouliot is back to being useless, and we will be lucky to get a bag of pucks for him. Gainey is an idiot, Gauthier is an idiot, Pollack is an idiot… Lapierre had a good end of the season last year, and everyone around was saying Laps for captain. Now he is playing crappy, and nothing but he sucks send him away. He played well in his last 2 games, and soon enough it will be sign Laps for 5 million. Pleks same thing, last season he was useless, Gainey was a fool to give him 2.75 million. Now its sign him for 5 million plus… Lately not so hot, so not too much has been said.

The second Price goes to another team (god forbid) and he does well, its same old thing. SAME PEOPLE saying why didn’t we keep a 5th overall draft pick. How stupid is Gauthier…

I mean, there is no normal here. Look at what Lats said. Its FUN playing again. In Montreal its a business. Media on you, people on you, management on you. Unrealistic expectations have ALWAYS been the undoing of this city. Thats why it is so difficult to sign players. One day your a hero, the next day a overpriced dog that we kick.

But hey, the seats are always full.

By the way, when have you ever heard Gainey bash a player????????  Don’t stain his name with your stupidity.

Gainey is class through and through…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

38. Mr.Hazard says:

No mention of Saku getting second star!! lol

“love cannot drown truth, Nefertiti”

39. Daard says:

Personally, I wouldn’t play Price again this season unless Jaro gets hurt. Ride Jaro’s winning ways for as long as we can, and when that bubble bursts, we look towards moving CP this summer or letting someone else sign him, and then we move on from there.

I HIGHLY doubt the kid wants anything to do with this city after the season he’s been through, and as I’ve posted before, I think he’ll have a great career, just not here, that goose is cooked. But if we were selfish and kept him here, we’re going to totally ruin him, a la Alexandre Daigle.

Nope, I say it’s time to cut the kid a break and cut him free.

40. lenny says:

lol-maybe he’s asking himself the ame thing…probably cant wait to get out of here and get back to BC

41. lenny says:

42. SLONCOLD says:

well i guess we’ll how things shape up because i’m sure the habs want to finish as high as they can. i don’t think ron wilson will tell his players to go out and hurt jaro though.

i really think jaro should play the last game beacuse he has been such a great stroy this year for the habs and i think the fans would like to see jaro finish off the season

43. adam76 says:

Price who?

44. likehoy says:

you’re as welcome as your first goalie controversy comment :P.

– Team Halak V.S. Team Price…Montreal Canadiens Fans are similar to 14 year-old Girls going through Puberty.

45. matraque says:

Jaro should not play in Toronto… They might just injure him.  After all, it’s toronto.

Price play Saturday if the game is meaningless.

——

Komisarek: 0 – 4 – 4 (-9)

46. christophor says:

I hope they do. keep that pick out of our division.

47. lenny says:

If Price is a Thorobred, what does that make Halak?….If Gainy was still GM he’d be doing his best to protect Price and Bash Halak’s performance over the weekend…If Halak was number 1 when the season started, we’d probablly have clinched the playoff spot weeks ago…..

The resement for Price in this city falls on Gainy….He talked him up to the point where expectations were too high…He let him start games he never should have, and he sacrafised the possibility of making it past the 1st round last year by not playing Halak…Price will be a good goaltender, but I dont think he has a hope in hell in this city

48. The Beer Guy says:

LOL… No promisses.

You’re going to love my nuts!

49. Chuck says:

Is he Red Fisher?

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

50. Fansincebirth says:

That’s the way I’d play it.

It’s not like Carey is incompetent…but sweet Jebus, if Carey’s in nets the rest or the freakin team had better show up for a change!

51. Storm Man says:

Keep Jaro in, play Price Saturday as the buds will crash the net all night I so want Price to snap and tee off on someone

52. The Beer Guy says:

Even if it’s to help clinch a playoff spot, it’s hard to cheer for Buffalo. The only thing harder is cheering for The Leaves. (Sorry my spell check won’t let me put an “S” on Leaf.)

You’re going to love my nuts!

53. Storm Man says:

Guess no one can ask him how his game is coming along

54. SLONCOLD says:

Jaro is tearing it up again:-) so if we win tomorrow night and clinch a playoffs spot, what do you guys think about playing carey in carolina and then halak at home against the buds?

55. HugeHabsFan says:

Welcome Beer Guy!

I’m more of a reader than a poster as well.  :o)

………..

“Thank you Cammy for making my day even more amazing!” I STILL BELIEVE. I WILL ALWAYS BELIEVE.

56. matraque says:

That’s what i’m talking about!

Good job Jaro.  The hard work is paying off.

——

Komisarek: 0 – 4 – 4 (-9)

57. Shublips says:

The homestretch is upon us and the Habs as well as a ton of other teams, are still looking to clinch their spots.

This will be a huge week for a lot of teams.

Here’s what Habs Addict.com has to say about it:

58. Say Ash says:

Don’t worry, Timo. I’m sure we’ll learn whether or not Woods will focus on his game, give it 110% and take it one day at a time.

59. Raster says:

I really hope the leafs don’t pass the Florida teams. ..BTW first Time poster and also long-time reader.

Cheers to all. This is the best site for Habs news and Habs banter. Keep up the good work!

“Sing O’Canada when we play the leafs, It will give Burke and Wilson goose bumps and leaf fans can’t boo.”

60. habsperspective says:

Let’s clinch this tomorrow night will ya boys, beat those Islanders, and let Buffalo run the Rangers outta town, and seriously, lets not leave anything to chance for Saturday nights regular season closer against the bud’s!

61. habsfanonthewestcoast says:

alcohol + hab madness = fhf

62. Chris says:

I’m definitely happy for Koivu, although it’s a little sad to see that he won’t get a chance to shine in the playoffs.  Probably not the season finale that Selanne had in mind.

Saku is good for 50 points per season to go along with his leadership and faceoff skills.  Not bad for a guy who is 35 years old with the physical history that he has had to endure.

I see that the Ducks signed Peter Holland to an entry level deal.  During the draft last summer, I was surprised to see how down on Holland the scouts were.  After watching him really struggle to grab the reins of leadership on the Storm this season, I am no longer surprised.  He will be an interesting prospect…the skill set is there, but I do wonder now whether he’s got the drive and intensity needed to succeed in the NHL after watching him float through the 2009-10 OHL season.  He was nearly invisible in the Guelph-London series.

63. Say Ash says:

No kidding. Welcome aboard but “Things are starting to get interesting”? For insight like that I can turn to Pierre McGuire.

64. BJ says:

just as an aside: Saku Koivu in Anaheim so far this season:

19 goals 30 assists (including 6 game winners. He was my favorite since TPS Turku days. Glad he’s doing well with his buddy Selanne.

65. Fansincebirth says:

Welcome aboard Beer Guy.

This can be a zoo sometimes but it’s the only place to be for a true Habs fan!

66. habsfan0 says:

Welcome BG! Kindly refrain from drinking and posting at same time…

67. Joe_Habs says:

Welcome Beer Guy, i dont post much either, but playoffs bring out the poster in me! welcome and lets hope the habs pick up 6 points this week!

http://www.habshangover.weebly.com <—My Blog, new post on playoff Match-ups

68. Bash says:

Your round Beer Guy!

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

69. N.B.habs fan says:

Welcome beer guy,I have been a long time reader and do post some times.I stay out of trouble that way.

70. fuhgawz says:

how can we not welcome a guy with a sweet profile name. Welcome “The Beer Guy”

71. The Beer Guy says:

Thanks Dave!

You’re going to love my nuts!

72. Caper says:

Welcome Beer guy.

73. Dave Stubbs says:

He’s telling the truth, folks. The Beer Guy IS a long-time reader. Please welcome him to the Inside/Out family. Without the usual adjectives!

Dave Stubbs
    Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
    • On Twitter: twitter.com/habsinsideout1

74. The Beer Guy says:

Long time reader, first time poster. Things are starting to get interesting

Play every game as if it is your last one.