Audio: Habs upbeat after huge win, fun practice

The Canadiens had a lively, fun Bell Centre practice today, a laugh-a-minute exercise following their stunning 6-5 shootout victory over the New York Rangers on Tuesday night.

There will be plenty of serious business Thursday at home against the Pittsburgh Penguins, but there was lightness on the ice and in the dressing room today.

Listen to Michael Ryder discussing his two and almost three goals;

Christopher Higgins, who got his kicks years ago as a squirt player coming back from a 5-1 deficit to win, then rubbing it in as the other team sobbed in defeat (tsk, tsk, Chris…);

Head coach Guy Carbonneau looks back, and looks ahead, in both official languages.

And don’t miss Gazette photographer John Mahoney’s terrific photo gallery from the practice.

1. NightRyder says:

Yeah, Atlanta wants a pair of free agents to be in exchange for Hossa.

2. hhl says:

hossa would be a nice addition,i think he could renew his career in mtl,sundin would be more expensive,poss much harder to trade for,but, i like sundin s commitment alot better.n is more aggressive.give kovy a dance partner like sundin,instead of hossa.then again hossa could play with koivu, maybe.no tanguay though,not a big goal scorer. id much rather keep ryder.

3. doug says:

i think people are making stuff up. responsible journalists are repeating exactly what gainey said, but acting like they have a scoop. the rest are just making stuff up. i’ll believe it when i see it.

it does legitimize my decision to stay up until 1 a.m. surfing the web for updated habs news, though. last night is still in my blood! can’t get rid of the adrenaline.

4. stephen says:

I know you have to give to get, but I’d hate to part with Streit.

As for the article, it’s hard to believe something like that would be leaked. Seems a bit irresponsible, no?

Strange days. Strange days, indeed…

5. Chuck says:

16 points in 5 games… tell me that he doesn’t want to be part of a Stanley Cup run!

______________________________________
    “All bow down before the Komisaurus Rex!”

6. doug says:

thanks for the tip. . . not sure if it’s true. story says in return for streit and ryder. . . wonder what that would do to our power play if true. streit’s been important component. on other hand we’d have two scoring lines (finally), assuming hossa could step it up and play like he has in the past. . . pretty bad year this year (only ~53 points i think). fair trade, though, no doubt about that, and we’d keep higgins which is my worst fear.

7. Wayne says:

Great! Caught a bit of TSN’s OTR today (while trying to avoid looking at Landsberg, sheesh :) if Tussaud’s had to do his mug, they’d simply run out of wax) anyway, they had a lively round up on last night’s and trades etc. I was struck by one guest’s take on why the Habs shouldn’t really worry at this point because they were one of the deepest franchises out there. I knew we were fairly deep, but I see us a still building. That statement made me wonder just how shallow or arid (besides TO at the moment) some teams really are.

8. borchate says:

Ok everyone, Hossa is coming to montreal..cyberpresse is reporting that equipement and jerseys for hossa have been ordered in the evening so that it would be ready for tomorrow’s game !!!!!!!!!

a-w-e-s-o-m-e

9. moscha says:

I felt so good for the team after the game that I can now say….I BELEIVE! I felt so good I actually felt bad for Leafs fans, thats how well I feel about the team today.

10. WestHab says:

I know I’m a little behind but I just got back from Montreal.
    I was lucky enough to see the ranger Game. I guess a lot has been said about the comback. I’d just like to say that the crowd really got buzzing after Komi’s fight, which took place just below me. I never had so much fun. My son the Flames fan even got all caught up in the “GO HABS GO”.

I just wanted to get something in before they drop the puck with the pens tonight, in about 5 minutes.

Thanks Montreal

11. habby_kimchi_guy says:

I haven’t felt this good about the Habs in a long time. One can imagine what they’ll be like when all their ytoung d-man from the farm are ready to make the leap.

12. RS says:

Bulldogs win again. Grabovski with 1 G and 2A, giving him 16 points in the last five games. Locke had 3A. Halak stopped 25 of 26 stops. Chipchura got the empty-netter and had a scrap.

13. Naila Jinnah says:

Thanks for the extensive audio, Dave.

MUCH appreciated. Honestly, that and the photo gallery are my favourite part of the site.

So thanks :)

14. lemess says:

Great shots by John Mahoney – brought a smile to my face…
    the chemistry that this team has is evident in the “championship” photo

15. Mike says:

Hey Dave, Can i use the pictures you put up on habsinsideout to make a habs photogallery?

16. Dave Stubbs says:

We appreciate your interest, Mike, but photos posted at Habs Inside/Out are copyright Gazette property, or copyright of the agencies we credit. We know our readers sometimes download images and use them as computer desktops, etc., but these image cannot be used for any commercial purpose or republished in print or online without written permission of The Gazette or the credited agencies.

Dave Stubbs

Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette

17. Habs-Kat says:

Seeing those guys smile makes me so happy inside. No trades, Bob. Keep the clan the way it is, yes – even Breezer deserves to stay.

18. the_larry says:

Whoa whoa dont get too carried away :P

19. habs12345 says:

ya they really look like they are loving every moment after that game

20. Pay Julay says:

Hold on a sec, let’s not forget that without Breezer in the lineup and Hammer back we look a lot better!!! I get pretty nervous when ol Patrice gets caught down low!!!

Breezer’s great as a seventh or eight defenseman.

21. Mike says:

Ok thanks. Thats why i asked first :) Just wanted to make sure. If i found a photo off yahoo search, am I allowed to use that. (not a picture from Hio just a picture in general)

22. Dave Stubbs says:

Mike, the Internet has made copyright a very murky place and policing it is virtually impossible. Many people find photos and download them for use on their own websites, which almost always is in violation of copyright if used commercially.

Blogs and otherwise personal, non-commercial sites are less clear; if a copyright holder of a photo you’ve downloaded for use decides to come after you, commercial or otherwise, they probably can do so.

Some people will credit the photo or the website from which it’s taken, which at the very least is good manners.

Dave Stubbs

Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette

23. Mike says:

Ok, Thankyou. Haha sorry for the hassel :)

24. The Teacher says:

I’m sure it’s no hassle for Dave. It’s all about education and informing ourselves, right?

25. habs12345 says:

the chances that they would even find out that you downloaded a pic is basically 1 out of a million and even if they did the chances that they would care enough to react to it or do anything about it is 1 out of 1000

26. Mike says:

For some reason I can’t listen to the audio files, is it just me?>

27. Proudones says:

I have the same problem and I’ve tried everything I can think of.

28. Y says:

I guess the podcast Mike alluded to is going to be up tomorrow?

29. Dave Stubbs says:

Yes indeed, PuckCast No. 18 will be up tomorrow morning.
    Dave Stubbs
    Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette

30. Ed says:

But Mike put on his makeup at 7:21 EST this morning. Why do we have to wait until tomorrow to see the benefit of that makeup. If you don’t believe me, read the end of his blog this morning. Dave, does the makeup help him at all?

31. Dave Stubbs says:

Boone put on his Sunday best for the podcast. Hickey, too. And Mio produced the effort flawlessly. It’s a matter of having it edited by Jeremy, our regular producer, who wasn’t available today. We’ll do this in video format one day and scare the bejeepers out of you all.

Dave Stubbs

Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette

32. Ed says:

Live chat for the first time last night, and it went over well. Next, we will get video streaming, but not live. I know it will happen, it’s just a matter of when. After last night’s game, we are all looking forward to the podcast tomorrow.

33. Ed says:

Ryder and Higgins are both very upbeat in the audios, and the players looked liked they really enjoyed the practice this morning. They all deserve to enjoy what happened last night.

34. doug says:

I just changed my favorite current Habs player to Michael Ryder. Who could possibly NOT admire the guy? Left out, brought in, moved around, etc., etc. Had ten times the reason to moan like Samsonov. Nothing. Class. Calmness. A desire to stay with the team but an even-keeled, levelheadedness. I say sign him while he’s down; the price will be a bit lower and the temperament is a great fit for a hockey-mad city like Montreal.

Ditto for Chris Higgins; you have to look at the age and maturity and not just the production. He’s had a fairly bad year given his talent. His best play was early last season; this year he seems to lose the puck when he stickhandles or shank shots. Almost like a slightly slower version of Russ Courtnall, who could skate very fast but couldn’t quite stickhandle while skating that fast. I don’t think that’s bound to stick around. He was brought up a Habs fan. He’s a close friend of franchise player Komisarek. KEEP him.

I pray for no trades. No impact player. Nothing. We’re good enough and we’re going to be perennial contenders now with the nucleus the team has built. No need to go for broke this year.

35. wd40 says:

This team appears to have great chemistry, and after the comeback last night, obviously tremendous grit and desire. I’m wondering aloud. What impact might it have on this team if Gainey decides to make NO (significant) changes at the deadline? Seems to me this would be a huge vote of confidence from the man upstairs.

Also, some unexpected appreciation from Jay Onrait of TSN:

36. WetCoast says:

Dave I know you’ve heard it before but I can’t thank you enough for these audios – you have no idea how great it is for us ex-pats to be able to hear these – thank you thank you thank you!!!

37. Chuck says:

Brisebois will score the Stanley Cup winning goal.

______________________________________
    “All bow down before the Komisaurus Rex!”