Audio: Habs know there’s much work ahead

HABS AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Hal Gill | Tomas Plekanec & Jaroslav Spacek
CAPITALS AUDIO: Bruce Boudreau | Alexander Ovechkin | Eric Fehr | David Steckel

Pat Hickey is in Washington with the Canadiens as they prepare for Game 2 of their best-of-seven Eastern Conference quarterfinal series against the Capitals.

Despite winning Game 1, the Canadiens know they haven’t won anything yet and will have plenty of work ahead if they hope to complete an upset of the NHL’s top team.

Hickey also spoke with Capitals head coach Bruce Boudreau to try to learn what is wrong with superstar Alex Ovechkin.

1. TorontoHabsFan says:

I dunno, the way I see it, is if a player is responsible for his stick, regardless of whether he intends to high-stick, then he should also be responsible for his elbow – regardless of his height.

2. PeterStone says:

TSN.  Dude .. the Montreal Canadiens are Canada’s most POPULAR team.  The Globe and Mail did a poll last fall.  You can google it if you like.

The Habs are Canada’s most popular team, and Ovechkin is arguably the NHL’s most exciting player .. seems to me those are the reasons folks are tuning in.  Dont fall into the “everything is a conspiracy” mindset ..

3. JIMVINNY says:

It was a perfect play, and a terrible call.  And to have them score on the PP just makes it worse.

4. JIMVINNY says:

Leopold has to keep his head up.  THe only reason the elbow was involved is that Sutton is so tall.

5. thirdstone says:

What a terrible call. That was not a trip. Hate to say refs dictate a match like that.

That being said, devils aren’t playing nearly hard enough. I can’t tell if Kovalchuk is nervous or doesn’t give a crap about playing d.

6. Harani says:

How the F is that a penalty on Clarkson? If that’s a 2 minutes, the one on Gionta last nite should have been 5 minutes.

“I gotta feeling…that tonight’s gonna be a good night!”

7. Harani says:

Devils prolly saying: Brian F. Boucher!

“I gotta feeling…that tonight’s gonna be a good night!”

8. SeriousFan09 says:

in Canada or US? Besides, how many of the people in Canada were likely tuning in to root against the Canadiens?

9. PeterStone says:

I guess you didnt hear McGuire on the radio today … yesterday’s Habs/Caps game was THE highest viewed hockey game

10. SeriousFan09 says:

Dammit Brodeur! I had you guys set to win in 6 for my pool, could you wait until there’s more than 3 SOG before allowing something!

Also Penguins, shape up, I need you to sweep the Sens in 4 straight now.

11. punkster says:

The officiating in this league just seems to get worse as the season progresses. Incompetent boobs.

12. punkster says:

Ah yes, the ever present conspiracy theory. Get your head up man. Many refs in this league are incompetent but there’s no “Bettman-wants-a-U.S.-team-to-win” conspiracy. If you want to debate the quality of the refs then I’m in. If, however, you truely believe in a conspiracy then please consider this discussion closed. I won’t debate complete crap.

13. SeriousFan09 says:

They’re just trying to up their traffic because the Maple Loafs are out of the playoffs, as are the Flames and Oilers so that kills off a lot of potential high-traffic stuff because a lot of Canadians now aren’t massively invested in ‘their’ team for the playoffs and watching all the news second by second, plus I bet RDS handed them their *** in ratings last night.

14. jbroderi says:

what poll?  sorry, I’m at work, obvioulsy not working hard

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

15. Danno says:

It’s a Gui!mauve.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

16. Mr.Hazard says:

Bob Cole is terrible… He misses everything.

“love cannot drown truth, Nefertiti”

17. avatar_58 says:

Wtf TSN? Throwing fuel onto the fire with that Price poll aren’t they?

18. rogus says:

What’s a marshmellow?

19. punkster says:

How’d that work out for Torts this year? And you think BB or any coach gets favourable calls because a ref is afraid of being shown up? Come on JV, you’re above that. You’re smarter than that.

20. TorontoHabsFan says:

Absolutely concur. Should be 5 and a game in my mind.

21. Hockey Socks says:

I think he’ll be fine if Phoenix makes it past Detroit and/or LA makes it past Vancouver. Also a Chicago surge will showcase some more premier NHL talent.

22. jbroderi says:

I could think up some ways, but they would never work, as the travel would get out of hand.  I think a true home ice advantage would be games 6 and 7, but that might not sit too well.

open at home, play 2 and 3 on the road, home for 4 and 5, road for 6 and home for 7??  more travel though, and tradition sometimes rules I guess.  I have seen years ago the 2 games at home, 3 on the road, then 6 and 7 at home, but 3 in a row may be too much, especially giving to the road team.

I guess we’ll leave it.  Will be good for us, cause no matter how far we go this year, we open on the road. haha

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

23. punkster says:

How is that hit in the Pens game not a penalty? Criminal elbow to the head.

24. joeybarrie says:

How about, Crosby 4 points. Ovie 0.  GO TOMMY JAGR…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

25. Bryan says:

Well if that’s the case… Habs won’t have the higher seed for the rest of the playoffs!

_______________________________

The Habs are making me Bi-Polar.

26. novahab says:

Man you must be to young to understand how to bait a ref. I suggest you go the the archives and look up some old papers and read how a smart coach deals with a ref. The caps are bigger , stronger and they are one of the leagues favortes but if you say in the paper that you hope the refs don’t favor the caps because they are suppose to win. If you say the Caps like to use thier elbows and crash the nets . Bowman never talked about a ref he suggested what the other team might get away with. He planted the seed and the refs never want to be second guessed in the media.

27. SeriousFan09 says:

21 Years since the Cup Final was All-Canadian, way too long.

28. jbroderi says:

It is quite funny.  Dad would bitch about anything, especially calling out the most clutch goalie ever out on a nightly basis.  Of course now he says that Roy was great!  Typical Habs fan I guess

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

29. jbroderi says:

Hahahhahaha  I’m glad I’m not the only one firing out fat jokes on Stay-Puff Boudreau!!

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

30. ed lopaz says:

i kind of agree -and I’ll go one step further.

if i’m looking for an advantage i’d like game 3 at home – and game 3 goes to the lower ranked team.

no one seems to question this and it is never changed.

the lower ranked team can easily steal a game from the first 2 at home.

the first game – there are surprises – for example, the caps had NOT seen halak before last night.

i think you’re on to something with this.

how could we change it?

if game 1 goes to the lower ranked team, then game 2 and the all important game 3 should go to the higher ranked team.

game 4 goes back to the lower ranked.

after game 3 – game 5 is huge, so its back to the higher ranked

game 6 to the lower ranked

game 7 to the higher ranked.

so the higher ranked team gets Game 2, 3, 5, 7

the lower ranked team gets Game 1, 4, 6

31. JIMVINNY says:

Seems like the split happens a lot more than a two game sweep, so I’ll agree with you.  Winning one of those first two games on the road lessens the chances the series will get to that seventh game, so as long as you’re confident in your ability to win at home, as a player, I wouldn’t feel so bad about starting on the road.

32. SeriousFan09 says:

3 Conn Smythe trophies, clearly a slacker in the big games :/

33. novahab says:

Well for one when your player is clearly tripped on a breakaway and the guys is standing there with his thumb up his you know what. Give me a break where have you been all season as this team was screwed over game after game and where was JM know wheres to be heard. Cane 11 powerplay Habs 0.

34. novahab says:

35. pmaraw says:

holy random batman

36. jbroderi says:

Even Roy, the greatest ever, suffered from that a little!!  For some reason, one which I gave up searching for, my father, who is a huge Habs fan too, always would say “Roy is ok, but he’s no good in the clutch”  Kinda funny now, but hearing that after Roy gave up a goal was like pouring salt in a wound.  When I was a young fella, Roy was my hero!!

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

37. SeriousFan09 says:

For those of you keeping track on post-season goals:

Sid the Kid: 1

Great 8: 0

Tommy Jagr: 1

38. SeriousFan09 says:

Depends on the team, some teams are better on the road for the big games and some like to soak up the hometown atmosphere. Guy Boucher coached a squad this year in Hamilton that thrived on the road, with 26 of their 52 wins coming on the road. Hawks were a pretty sharp road team this year, but they just have a tendency to never give up on a game as well which is what hurts a lot of teams, going down 1-2 goals in a hostile arena and the road back suddenly seems impossible.

39. KenD29 says:

Precisely!

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

40. SeriousFan09 says:

3 for 4, Red Wings killed off the last penalty and by my guess, Babcock probably stopped bag skating about 6 hours after the game.

41. JIMVINNY says:

WHAT are you talking about?

42. jbroderi says:

just a question to all you brainiacs on here.  Do you think players prefer to start on the road??  I know that home ice advantage is always crucial in a 7th game, but not all series go that long.  We always talk about the visitor just getting the one win out of 2 then going back to their barn with home ice advantage.  It just seems like such an easier goal than saying “ok, we gotta win these two games at home, or we lose home ice advantage”.  I know that it balances itself out, but for me, I wouldn’t mind atarting as the visitor, making a series of it, then going home to a bumpin’ crowd. Home ice for 7 is huge, but interesting thought!

Any thoughts??

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

43. SeriousFan09 says:

and Osgood has 3 rings, wouldn’t want him as my starter unless I was in Playoffs though. He’s got a knack for just carrying a solid, reliable game in the post-season.

44. JIMVINNY says:

The classy coaches keep their mouthes shut, but it gets them nowhere with the refs.  It’s loud mouths like Torts and Fatso Boudreau that get the most attention, and I think it’s a case of no publicity is bad publicity.  If a ref knows he’s going to hear about it, he’s a lot less likely to make bad calls, or miss good ones.

45. novahab says:

For all you people on here that think Ovie is mr. clean you can get his autgraph by taking the marshmellow train over to the gumball park and pick all the money you want of the free money trees while you wait for him. Then the jellybeen helicopter will fly you over to the rainbow pool that is filled with chocolate pudding for everyone. My suggestion is that you look both ways before you cross the street because  your world is not real.

46. pmaraw says:

i concur, always good posts!

47. Bryan says:

Wasn’t Phoenix 3 for 3 on the PP that game?

_______________________________

The Habs are making me Bi-Polar.

48. SeriousFan09 says:

I have seen him play well but he is a very traditional Quebecois goalie, hot and cold with no way of knowing when he’ll be either.

49. KenD29 says:

Maybe so, however he has a Stanley Cup Ring !

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

50. pmaraw says:

Do you believe?  LOL olympic slogan is still good 😀

51. pmaraw says:

i really dont think much of fleury, hes nothing spectacular…  just a case of the right place right time last year

52. SeriousFan09 says:

The Canadiens-Canucks Stanley Cup Final should be good for a heart attack I figure 😉

53. punkster says:

Tell us please, who among the stellar coaches today has pull with the media and the refs? And when has any ref just laughed at JM? Specifics please.

54. pmaraw says:

nice dive by spezza lol

55. SeriousFan09 says:

There are 4 starting goaltenders in the NHL playoffs that come from everyone’s favourite draft year, 2003.

1st Overall: MA Fleury, PIT 0-1-0

64th Overall: Jimmy Howard, DET 0-1-0

271st overall: Jaroslav Halak 1-0-0

291st overall: Brian Elliott 1-0-0

A bit of a laugh isn’t it? To be fair to Howard though, DET loss was the fault of an inept Red Wings PK that went 1 for 4.

56. pmaraw says:

that guy looks like he beats people up to whipe his butt for him

57. pmaraw says:

i was hoping he’d get worse….

58. habs3161 says:

Right on!! Bugs

Too funny

59. SeriousFan09 says:

Gary Bettman just got some grey hair, the idea of the Caps and Pens exiting 1st-round?

60. JIMVINNY says:

Fleury made a fool of himself.

61. Danno says:

Here’s Ovechkin after he takes his vitamins.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

62. Keith says:

Pens down early! HA HA!!

63. novahab says:

I would say Bruce Boudreau thinks he the next Don Cherry and whats dangerous is when he talks the refs will listen. When the Bruins had Don Cherry we had Scotty Bowman and Scotty was alot smarter than Don when it came to the refs. Whats going to hurt us is we have JM and the refs will just laugh at him , he’s a toothless swan when its comes to the media and dealing with the refs. Gionta was clearly tripped on a clear breakaway but over all the refs weren’t to bad last night.

64. avatar_58 says:

….wow. I’m so glad Halak is solid because seeing that really makes me appreciate our goalies

65. Bugs says:

Theo: “Psst, Ovy. C’mere.”

Ovy: “Da?”

Theo: “How’s your hair? Got sumpin here for ya if you want…”

Ridiculously overhyped, call me

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant-Director of St-Habbie’s Hospital for the Blind, Head Physician of Neuroflannelogy Unit, and Occupational Therapist in Habsbros Emergency Ward: http://habsbros.blogspot.com/

66. SeriousFan09 says:

So is everyone else tuning for Sens/Pens round 2? Only hanging in till 8:30, then I’m going to watch my boy Toews take it to the Predators, just got his t-shirt in the mail.

67. novahab says:

So I say Ovechkin and His Russian traner are opening up his little magic bag and giving Ovie the right stuff to get him going. As I predicted last game this guy is going to blow out some serious muscles in his legs if he hasn’t already done some damage. I say he hurting and I doubt he is going to make it through the seires with out blowing out a hamstring. He binding up and the juice is catching up to him Go Habs Go

68. terrygain says:

If he plays disinterested as he did at times down the stretch, it’s lights out

Horsebleep. You couldn’t have asked for better goal tending.

If Alex Ovechkin is on the ice, Jaroslav Spacek must be, too. The 36-year-old was the second-best Hab in Game 1 and was masterful in his shutdown role. Ovechkin was held shotless for only the second time this season.

Nonsense. Spacek gave the puck away 4 times in his own end in the 1st periods, including on Washington’s 1st goal.

69. punkster says:

I was happy to see you back last night HP. Hang around.

70. petrov14 says:

FROM THE HOCKEY NEWS:

Two of the past four Presidents’ Trophy-winning teams have lost in the first round of the playoffs and, thanks to a surprising 3-2 OT victory Thursday, the Montreal Canadiens are one step closer to making that stat three-of-five.

Despite absolutely dominating the Habs in the first frame – setting a franchise playoff record with 19 shots and not allowing a shot against until the 7:30 mark in the process – the Washington Capitals were only able to manage a 1-1 tie heading into the first intermission thanks mostly to an impressive goaltending display by Jaroslav Halak.

Not capitalizing on that domination would eventually come back to bite the Caps as the following 50-plus minutes would be evenly played, both on the ice and the scoreboard, until Tomas Plekanec ended the 2010 post-season’s first OT adventure by snapping a blocker-side wrister past Jose Theodore.

It was the ideal start for the underdog Bleu, Blanc et Rouge, who finished 33 points back of Washington in the standings and tallied 103 times less during the regular season.

Dreams of a 25th Stanley Cup will no doubt be dancing in the heads of the patrons celebrating on Crescent Street, but playing .500 hockey against the best team in the game to close out this series will be easier said than done.

That said, here are five thing the Canadiens must do, or continue to do, if they hope to continue their good fortune:

HUG A SLOVAK
    If the 24-year-old wants a single plum, floating in perfume, served in a man’s hat, get it for him. Whatever it takes to keep Halak happy and playing like he did Thursday, the Habs should bend over backwards to make it happen. He’s the main reason for the 1-0 series lead. His poise between the pipes must continue for Montreal to have any shot. If he plays disinterested as he did at times down the stretch, it’s lights out.

FIND THE SANDPAPER
    The Habs are a diminutive bunch for the most part, but they must find a way to get under the skin of the Capitals, many of whom are still young and subject to being thrown off their games or retaliating, resulting in a power play (where they scored their first goal and were second-best in the league during the regular season). A balance must be struck, however. The last thing that can happen is 4-on-4 hockey after coincidental minors. More ice benefits Washington in a big way.