Audio: Habs know there’s much work ahead

HABS AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Hal Gill | Tomas Plekanec & Jaroslav Spacek
CAPITALS AUDIO: Bruce Boudreau | Alexander Ovechkin | Eric Fehr | David Steckel

Pat Hickey is in Washington with the Canadiens as they prepare for Game 2 of their best-of-seven Eastern Conference quarterfinal series against the Capitals.

Despite winning Game 1, the Canadiens know they haven’t won anything yet and will have plenty of work ahead if they hope to complete an upset of the NHL’s top team.

Hickey also spoke with Capitals head coach Bruce Boudreau to try to learn what is wrong with superstar Alex Ovechkin.

1. PeterStone says:

TSN.  Dude .. the Montreal Canadiens are Canada’s most POPULAR team.  The Globe and Mail did a poll last fall.  You can google it if you like.

The Habs are Canada’s most popular team, and Ovechkin is arguably the NHL’s most exciting player .. seems to me those are the reasons folks are tuning in.  Dont fall into the “everything is a conspiracy” mindset ..

2. JIMVINNY says:

It was a perfect play, and a terrible call.  And to have them score on the PP just makes it worse.

3. JIMVINNY says:

Leopold has to keep his head up.  THe only reason the elbow was involved is that Sutton is so tall.

4. thirdstone says:

What a terrible call. That was not a trip. Hate to say refs dictate a match like that.

That being said, devils aren’t playing nearly hard enough. I can’t tell if Kovalchuk is nervous or doesn’t give a crap about playing d.

5. Harani says:

How the F is that a penalty on Clarkson? If that’s a 2 minutes, the one on Gionta last nite should have been 5 minutes.

6. Harani says:

Devils prolly saying: Brian F. Boucher!

7. SeriousFan09 says:

in Canada or US? Besides, how many of the people in Canada were likely tuning in to root against the Canadiens?

8. PeterStone says:

I guess you didnt hear McGuire on the radio today … yesterday’s Habs/Caps game was THE highest viewed hockey game

9. SeriousFan09 says:

Dammit Brodeur! I had you guys set to win in 6 for my pool, could you wait until there’s more than 3 SOG before allowing something!

Also Penguins, shape up, I need you to sweep the Sens in 4 straight now.

10. punkster says:

The officiating in this league just seems to get worse as the season progresses. Incompetent boobs.

11. punkster says:

Ah yes, the ever present conspiracy theory. Get your head up man. Many refs in this league are incompetent but there’s no “Bettman-wants-a-U.S.-team-to-win” conspiracy. If you want to debate the quality of the refs then I’m in. If, however, you truely believe in a conspiracy then please consider this discussion closed. I won’t debate complete crap.

12. SeriousFan09 says:

They’re just trying to up their traffic because the Maple Loafs are out of the playoffs, as are the Flames and Oilers so that kills off a lot of potential high-traffic stuff because a lot of Canadians now aren’t massively invested in ‘their’ team for the playoffs and watching all the news second by second, plus I bet RDS handed them their *** in ratings last night.

13. jbroderi says:

what poll?  sorry, I’m at work, obvioulsy not working hard

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

14. Danno says:

It’s a Gui!mauve.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

15. Mr.Hazard says:

Bob Cole is terrible… He misses everything.

“love cannot drown truth, Nefertiti”

16. avatar_58 says:

Wtf TSN? Throwing fuel onto the fire with that Price poll aren’t they?

17. rogus says:

What’s a marshmellow?

18. punkster says:

How’d that work out for Torts this year? And you think BB or any coach gets favourable calls because a ref is afraid of being shown up? Come on JV, you’re above that. You’re smarter than that.

19. TorontoHabsFan says:

Absolutely concur. Should be 5 and a game in my mind.

20. Hockey Socks says:

I think he’ll be fine if Phoenix makes it past Detroit and/or LA makes it past Vancouver. Also a Chicago surge will showcase some more premier NHL talent.

21. jbroderi says:

I could think up some ways, but they would never work, as the travel would get out of hand.  I think a true home ice advantage would be games 6 and 7, but that might not sit too well.

open at home, play 2 and 3 on the road, home for 4 and 5, road for 6 and home for 7??  more travel though, and tradition sometimes rules I guess.  I have seen years ago the 2 games at home, 3 on the road, then 6 and 7 at home, but 3 in a row may be too much, especially giving to the road team.

I guess we’ll leave it.  Will be good for us, cause no matter how far we go this year, we open on the road. haha

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

22. punkster says:

How is that hit in the Pens game not a penalty? Criminal elbow to the head.

23. joeybarrie says:

How about, Crosby 4 points. Ovie 0.  GO TOMMY JAGR…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

24. Bryan says:

Well if that’s the case… Habs won’t have the higher seed for the rest of the playoffs!

_______________________________

The Habs are making me Bi-Polar.

25. novahab says:

Man you must be to young to understand how to bait a ref. I suggest you go the the archives and look up some old papers and read how a smart coach deals with a ref. The caps are bigger , stronger and they are one of the leagues favortes but if you say in the paper that you hope the refs don’t favor the caps because they are suppose to win. If you say the Caps like to use thier elbows and crash the nets . Bowman never talked about a ref he suggested what the other team might get away with. He planted the seed and the refs never want to be second guessed in the media.

26. SeriousFan09 says:

21 Years since the Cup Final was All-Canadian, way too long.

27. jbroderi says:

It is quite funny.  Dad would bitch about anything, especially calling out the most clutch goalie ever out on a nightly basis.  Of course now he says that Roy was great!  Typical Habs fan I guess

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

28. jbroderi says:

Hahahhahaha  I’m glad I’m not the only one firing out fat jokes on Stay-Puff Boudreau!!

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

29. ed lopaz says:

i kind of agree -and I’ll go one step further.

if i’m looking for an advantage i’d like game 3 at home – and game 3 goes to the lower ranked team.

no one seems to question this and it is never changed.

the lower ranked team can easily steal a game from the first 2 at home.

i think you’re on to something with this.

how could we change it?

if game 1 goes to the lower ranked team, then game 2 and the all important game 3 should go to the higher ranked team.

game 4 goes back to the lower ranked.

after game 3 – game 5 is huge, so its back to the higher ranked

game 6 to the lower ranked

game 7 to the higher ranked.

so the higher ranked team gets Game 2, 3, 5, 7

the lower ranked team gets Game 1, 4, 6

30. JIMVINNY says:

Seems like the split happens a lot more than a two game sweep, so I’ll agree with you.  Winning one of those first two games on the road lessens the chances the series will get to that seventh game, so as long as you’re confident in your ability to win at home, as a player, I wouldn’t feel so bad about starting on the road.

31. SeriousFan09 says:

3 Conn Smythe trophies, clearly a slacker in the big games :/

32. novahab says:

Well for one when your player is clearly tripped on a breakaway and the guys is standing there with his thumb up his you know what. Give me a break where have you been all season as this team was screwed over game after game and where was JM know wheres to be heard. Cane 11 powerplay Habs 0.

33. novahab says:

34. pmaraw says:

holy random batman

35. jbroderi says:

Even Roy, the greatest ever, suffered from that a little!!  For some reason, one which I gave up searching for, my father, who is a huge Habs fan too, always would say “Roy is ok, but he’s no good in the clutch”  Kinda funny now, but hearing that after Roy gave up a goal was like pouring salt in a wound.  When I was a young fella, Roy was my hero!!

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

36. SeriousFan09 says:

For those of you keeping track on post-season goals:

Sid the Kid: 1

Great 8: 0

Tommy Jagr: 1

37. SeriousFan09 says:

Depends on the team, some teams are better on the road for the big games and some like to soak up the hometown atmosphere. Guy Boucher coached a squad this year in Hamilton that thrived on the road, with 26 of their 52 wins coming on the road. Hawks were a pretty sharp road team this year, but they just have a tendency to never give up on a game as well which is what hurts a lot of teams, going down 1-2 goals in a hostile arena and the road back suddenly seems impossible.

38. KenD29 says:

Precisely!

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

39. SeriousFan09 says:

3 for 4, Red Wings killed off the last penalty and by my guess, Babcock probably stopped bag skating about 6 hours after the game.

40. JIMVINNY says:

WHAT are you talking about?

41. jbroderi says:

just a question to all you brainiacs on here.  Do you think players prefer to start on the road??  I know that home ice advantage is always crucial in a 7th game, but not all series go that long.  We always talk about the visitor just getting the one win out of 2 then going back to their barn with home ice advantage.  It just seems like such an easier goal than saying “ok, we gotta win these two games at home, or we lose home ice advantage”.  I know that it balances itself out, but for me, I wouldn’t mind atarting as the visitor, making a series of it, then going home to a bumpin’ crowd. Home ice for 7 is huge, but interesting thought!

Any thoughts??

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

42. SeriousFan09 says:

and Osgood has 3 rings, wouldn’t want him as my starter unless I was in Playoffs though. He’s got a knack for just carrying a solid, reliable game in the post-season.

43. JIMVINNY says:

The classy coaches keep their mouthes shut, but it gets them nowhere with the refs.  It’s loud mouths like Torts and Fatso Boudreau that get the most attention, and I think it’s a case of no publicity is bad publicity.  If a ref knows he’s going to hear about it, he’s a lot less likely to make bad calls, or miss good ones.

44. novahab says:

For all you people on here that think Ovie is mr. clean you can get his autgraph by taking the marshmellow train over to the gumball park and pick all the money you want of the free money trees while you wait for him. Then the jellybeen helicopter will fly you over to the rainbow pool that is filled with chocolate pudding for everyone. My suggestion is that you look both ways before you cross the street because  your world is not real.

45. pmaraw says:

i concur, always good posts!

46. Bryan says:

Wasn’t Phoenix 3 for 3 on the PP that game?

_______________________________

The Habs are making me Bi-Polar.

47. SeriousFan09 says:

I have seen him play well but he is a very traditional Quebecois goalie, hot and cold with no way of knowing when he’ll be either.

48. KenD29 says:

Maybe so, however he has a Stanley Cup Ring !

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

49. pmaraw says:

Do you believe?  LOL olympic slogan is still good :D

50. pmaraw says:

i really dont think much of fleury, hes nothing spectacular…  just a case of the right place right time last year

51. SeriousFan09 says:

The Canadiens-Canucks Stanley Cup Final should be good for a heart attack I figure ;)

52. punkster says:

Tell us please, who among the stellar coaches today has pull with the media and the refs? And when has any ref just laughed at JM? Specifics please.

53. pmaraw says:

nice dive by spezza lol

54. SeriousFan09 says:

There are 4 starting goaltenders in the NHL playoffs that come from everyone’s favourite draft year, 2003.

1st Overall: MA Fleury, PIT 0-1-0

64th Overall: Jimmy Howard, DET 0-1-0

271st overall: Jaroslav Halak 1-0-0

291st overall: Brian Elliott 1-0-0

A bit of a laugh isn’t it? To be fair to Howard though, DET loss was the fault of an inept Red Wings PK that went 1 for 4.

55. pmaraw says:

that guy looks like he beats people up to whipe his butt for him

56. pmaraw says:

i was hoping he’d get worse….

57. habs3161 says:

Right on!! Bugs

Too funny

58. SeriousFan09 says:

Gary Bettman just got some grey hair, the idea of the Caps and Pens exiting 1st-round?

59. JIMVINNY says:

Fleury made a fool of himself.

60. Danno says:

Here’s Ovechkin after he takes his vitamins.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

61. Keith says:

Pens down early! HA HA!!

62. novahab says:

I would say Bruce Boudreau thinks he the next Don Cherry and whats dangerous is when he talks the refs will listen. When the Bruins had Don Cherry we had Scotty Bowman and Scotty was alot smarter than Don when it came to the refs. Whats going to hurt us is we have JM and the refs will just laugh at him , he’s a toothless swan when its comes to the media and dealing with the refs. Gionta was clearly tripped on a clear breakaway but over all the refs weren’t to bad last night.

63. avatar_58 says:

….wow. I’m so glad Halak is solid because seeing that really makes me appreciate our goalies

64. Bugs says:

Theo: “Psst, Ovy. C’mere.”

Ovy: “Da?”

Theo: “How’s your hair? Got sumpin here for ya if you want…”

Ridiculously overhyped, call me

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant-Director of St-Habbie’s Hospital for the Blind, Head Physician of Neuroflannelogy Unit, and Occupational Therapist in Habsbros Emergency Ward: http://habsbros.blogspot.com/

65. SeriousFan09 says:

So is everyone else tuning for Sens/Pens round 2? Only hanging in till 8:30, then I’m going to watch my boy Toews take it to the Predators, just got his t-shirt in the mail.

66. novahab says:

So I say Ovechkin and His Russian traner are opening up his little magic bag and giving Ovie the right stuff to get him going. As I predicted last game this guy is going to blow out some serious muscles in his legs if he hasn’t already done some damage. I say he hurting and I doubt he is going to make it through the seires with out blowing out a hamstring. He binding up and the juice is catching up to him Go Habs Go

67. terrygain says:

If he plays disinterested as he did at times down the stretch, it’s lights out

Horsebleep. You couldn’t have asked for better goal tending.

If Alex Ovechkin is on the ice, Jaroslav Spacek must be, too. The 36-year-old was the second-best Hab in Game 1 and was masterful in his shutdown role. Ovechkin was held shotless for only the second time this season.

Nonsense. Spacek gave the puck away 4 times in his own end in the 1st periods, including on Washington’s 1st goal.

68. punkster says:

I was happy to see you back last night HP. Hang around.

69. petrov14 says:

FROM THE HOCKEY NEWS:

Two of the past four Presidents’ Trophy-winning teams have lost in the first round of the playoffs and, thanks to a surprising 3-2 OT victory Thursday, the Montreal Canadiens are one step closer to making that stat three-of-five.

Despite absolutely dominating the Habs in the first frame – setting a franchise playoff record with 19 shots and not allowing a shot against until the 7:30 mark in the process – the Washington Capitals were only able to manage a 1-1 tie heading into the first intermission thanks mostly to an impressive goaltending display by Jaroslav Halak.

Not capitalizing on that domination would eventually come back to bite the Caps as the following 50-plus minutes would be evenly played, both on the ice and the scoreboard, until Tomas Plekanec ended the 2010 post-season’s first OT adventure by snapping a blocker-side wrister past Jose Theodore.

It was the ideal start for the underdog Bleu, Blanc et Rouge, who finished 33 points back of Washington in the standings and tallied 103 times less during the regular season.

Dreams of a 25th Stanley Cup will no doubt be dancing in the heads of the patrons celebrating on Crescent Street, but playing .500 hockey against the best team in the game to close out this series will be easier said than done.

That said, here are five thing the Canadiens must do, or continue to do, if they hope to continue their good fortune:

HUG A SLOVAK
    If the 24-year-old wants a single plum, floating in perfume, served in a man’s hat, get it for him. Whatever it takes to keep Halak happy and playing like he did Thursday, the Habs should bend over backwards to make it happen. He’s the main reason for the 1-0 series lead. His poise between the pipes must continue for Montreal to have any shot. If he plays disinterested as he did at times down the stretch, it’s lights out.

FIND THE SANDPAPER
    The Habs are a diminutive bunch for the most part, but they must find a way to get under the skin of the Capitals, many of whom are still young and subject to being thrown off their games or retaliating, resulting in a power play (where they scored their first goal and were second-best in the league during the regular season). A balance must be struck, however. The last thing that can happen is 4-on-4 hockey after coincidental minors. More ice benefits Washington in a big way.

Related Links

OVIE, MEET YOUR SHADOW

FIRE AWAY
    Questions about Theodore were way overblown heading into this series (the hiring of Arturs Irbe as goalie coach in Washington has revived the former Hart Trophy-winner’s career), but he does have a penchant for allowing a soft goal at inopportune times. Plekanec’s OT-winner was a a good shot, but…

STUPID IS AS STUPID DOES
    Montreal cannot afford mental mistakes (like their too-many-men penalty in the second or Travis Moen’s boarding penalty on an icing play in the third) that result in Washington going up a man. Though they didn’t score with the advantage Thursday, the Caps own the league’s deadliest power play and providing them bonus chances is playing with fire.

______________________________________ Gionta for Captain.

70. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

Lets get one thing straight…THAT WAS A PENALTY AGAINST GIONTA…100% PENALTY SHOT material…

the WASH player doesn’t touch the puck…the puck never changes its course, only the WASH player/stick and body go sweeping under Gionta tripping him over, just as he had broken in clear splitting the Defense.

TOTAL B.S. to the extreme… but Karma entered and took care of us……more “ethical-honest” work ahead..

keep going boys.

71. likehoy says:

what kind of professional doesn’t expect another goalie to not play well? wow…even we expeted some half-decency fro theodore.

- Habs Romance (Lady Gaga remix) http://montreal.virginradio.ca/blogs/39/posts/464

72. Harani says:

Green on Halak: “We hadn’t played against him and we didn’t know his habits. We didn’t expect him to play well.” Really? What kind of thinking is that? At least he found out how well Halak can play.

73. Bugs says:

What?!

There’s “more work ahead”???

Aw, man, this blows! I thought it was all finished and there was no more work ahead.

Aw, jeez, what a gyp.

Ridiculously overhyped, call me

74. Mad Habber says:

If you switched game 1 & 2 to home games for lower seed teams then game 3,4,5, to higher seed, game 6 goes to lower seed, 7 higher. I believe this is what baseball does. It actually equals out to less travelling I believe.

“the first game – there are surprises – for example, the caps had NOT seen halak before last night.”

I read that they hadn’t seen Halak before, but where on earth are their pro scouts? Do they have any? You think they would at least have tapes or videos of some kind on him. It’s not like MTL’s been hiding him all year long (well maybe against them).

75. SeriousFan09 says:

Wow, Coyotes-Red Wings has just opened right up! 3-3!

76. Mattyleg says:

Anyone have any idea why Puck Daddy has nicknamed Halak “The Client”?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

77. Harani says:

LOL@Sharks…Awwww! I almost feel bad! NOT!

Edit: I jinxed it!

Edit again: NVM. Matt Duchene!!!!!!!

78. Harani says:

After the Allan Walsh incident who called Halak his client

79. Harani says:

Is Bykov coaching the Sharks? 3 goals on 8 shots and Nabokov stays in?!?!

80. habsfaninboston says:

smokin aces??

81. Mattyleg says:

Aha. Touché. Thanks.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

82. SeriousFan09 says:

I’m beginning to think picking Colorado in 7 for my playoff pool was being generous to San Jose.

83. Harani says:

Make that 4 goals on 10 shots for Nabby.

84. shootdapuck says:

NHL is solving a problem by having Lee officiate in the playoffs!

If Lee was not selected for post season he by the CBA should be up for dismissal as he was not selected last year!

Two senior officials are retiring and the NHL realize they will be screwed with their two Ref System even if an incompetant like Lee is dumped.

Not withstanding the NHL is in Labour Court at the moment over the dismissal of another incompetant Ref under the no post season rules!

Want more competant referring requires moving back to a single Ref system until a concerted development program yeilds some good officials.

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3″

85. KenD29 says:

Believe three officials are retiring, Fraser, Marouelli and McCreary.

Apparently the NHL is trying to get McCreary to stay another year, wonder why!

Ref Dave Jackson who has several years experience, went down earlier this season with torn knee ligaments. He has not ref’d a game since.

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

It’s Bettman’s Socialist Hockey League!!! You got it, the BSHL.

87. king ddd says:

crosby just owned spezza! again ovechkin might be explosive.. crosby is the best player in the NHL now.

btw whats with this thing about ovechkin not registering a shot coz he is injured, and bla bla.. ifyou want to be the gratest player  you have to play thorugh pain and injuries just ask the mario lemieux(whom i think was arguably the best player in his generation)

.::moen for captain::.

88. SomersetVII says:

Made a Playoff Video. hope it gets you guys pumped up!

89. punkster says:

Nice work.

90. avatar_58 says:

Not bad, I liked it

91. pmaraw says:

great job!  i saw a cameo of d’ags in there lol

92. HabFanSince72 says:

All New Jersey in the 3rd. And they finally score.

93. punkster says:

Wow. Parise works.

94. joe-hab-nuno says:

Thhis was just discussed below: Canada’s team 33% to 25% for who?

95. Mr.Hazard says:

Damn, all the series are evening up! I hope this time we DON’T follow the trend!

“love cannot drown truth, Nefertiti”

96. JIMVINNY says:

What a bad call in Phoenix.  Penalty for having the goalie wrap you up inside the net.

97. Bryan says:

Geez, Shane Doan is such a great player.  He’s throwing his body around out there like an animal!

_______________________________

The Habs are making me Bi-Polar.

98. Harani says:

Zach Parise! *sigh*

99. wall2bay says:

They should’ve fwd this article to the CBC. Those jokers there elected to carry the Sens-Pens game instead of the Habs! No way in hell they would’ve done that if it were Laffs vs Caps.

As much as TSN is critized on this site, I find it to be better than the CBC and I hope they come out with blockbuster ratings to shaft those clowns at CBC!

Brian Burke = Overrated Loud Mouth POS

100. wall2bay says:

Last night and tonight showed one small example of why Crosby is a better player than Ovie. If given the opportunity to start a team with the first pick……I easily take Crosby!

Brian Burke = Overrated Loud Mouth POS

101. Top Corner says:

….but really who cares what anyone says from all the Laff lovers on tsn and cbc……all the HABS jerseys in our oppositions arena says it all to me :P

Also all the laffs fans, sens fans , (and others that dont have an account who come on this site each day to see how were doing) cant resist the blue/blanc /rouge…..love the HABS or hate them , there the most talked about team in the NHL.

Yeahhhhh….Glad to see Philly lose today….not that it matters either way….but did anyone see Marty F. almost go for that goal….he hesitated….not cool….go for it MArty, lifes to short….Buahahahah

102. habsfansince91 says:

Can you really blame them? If they choose to air the habs then they have to fight with rds over fans where as by showing the ottowa series, only cbc is showing them. Thy’re just choosing the best option to get the most ratings.

103. nickster13 says:

Did anyone see that preds shift? that was ridiculous, especially since they score to top it all off. WOW!!!

104. Harani says:

1 minute in…Colorado scores! San Jose Choke or Nabokov Choke? Both!

105. Top Corner says:

nICEe work my friend….cool zooms and close ups….hell yeahhh

106. SeriousFan09 says:

Heatley, Thornton and Marleau on while the goal is scored, figures.

107. SeriousFan09 says:

Indeed, terrible turnover by Brouwer though, Kane’s line has always been a bit weak defensively, which is why Toews has often his partner, his defensive nature covers Kane weakness in that area.

108. Bugs says:

When should one start feeling pity for the Sharkies?

Cuz I gotta be real: I ain’t there yet at all. Not even an inkling.

Does that make me a bad person?

Ridiculously overhyped, call me

109. Bugs says:

I wanna see the look on CBC’s face when Ottawer and Couver are eliminated in the 1st round and we carry on an extra two.

Oh, please, please, please, Jebus, I promise I’ll be nice from now on, please, please, please, for me, just a little thing for me, please, please, please.

Ridiculously overhyped, call me

110. habsfaninboston says:

The upsets continue.  Nashville over Chicago.

111. SeriousFan09 says:

Damn, Hawks blow the man advantage TWICE to give up two EN goals to the freakin’ Predators as they tried to tie the game. Hawks lose their 1st game on home ice, the upsets continue…

112. Mattyleg says:

I think that before the playoffs every year, they should have a lottery, and the loser has to go into the playoffs with Joe Thornton.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

113. Harani says:

5 of 8 playoff openers (Buffalo, Phoenix, Vancouver being the exception) end with the visiting team winning. Isn’t the point of the whole 82-game season to gain home-ice advantage before the REAL season starts?

114. dudurules says:

Off topic: if pheonix wins the cup, isn’t that a “conflict of interest?”

115. saskhabfan says:

Leafstv “telling their fans they deserve to win for over 40 years”

116. SeriousFan09 says:

Same here, I want Toews to light up the entire playoffs, he nearly scored tonight after totally abusing the Nashville D, if not for the top of the Nashville Goalie’s stick he would’ve had the tying goal as well.

117. christophor says:

if they get bounced early, they’re more likely to fork out a bunch for a goalie.

118. Harani says:

When Scott Nichol is your best player on the ice with the likes of Marleau, Thornton and Heatley, you have got a problem!

119. SeriousFan09 says:

Hey there, not their fault, Thornton and Marleau’s contracts specifically state they should not feel compelled to play past March 31st.

120. ooder says:

anyone else watching Chris Lee hand San Jose the game on a silver platter?

disgustin

——————

“I like what I’m seeing right now,” assessed Markov. “We’re not perfect, but we’re trying to be.”

121. SeriousFan09 says:

You know the NHL doesn’t care about the integrity of the game when they let Chris Lee officiate in the playoffs.

122. andrewberkshire says:

I just hope we can continue playing like we did in the last 53 minutes, Steve! Spacek really made it his mission to make up for that first goal, I thought. His play on Backstrom last night in OT was one of the best defensive moves I’ve seen all year!

Puck Daddy’s take on last night’s game.

124. matmacat says:

no. post some links if you find something interesting.

125. Connecticut Man1 says:

Is it bad that I was going to peruse some of the D.C. hockey news and Blogs just for the sheer schadenfreude of it all?

126. naweed235 says:

a few questions for you guys:

1. What was you reaction when you saw that there was no call when Gionta was taken down on a break-away in OT?

2. Do you think the reffs would’ve called it if it was a WSH player?

3. Do yiu think JackyMart would have just swollowed his tongue and not say anything if the caps scored on the rush right after the take down?

4. is there anyway that if our team complains to the NHL about this, it would work in our favor for the next games to come?

1. I went, “How is that not a penalty?”

2. I think they put away their whistles at that point. Habs got one at the end of 3rd don’t forget..

3. He would have said how the team had to battle harder without the puck and how special teams and goaltending would need to step it up.

4. Moot point. The Caps DIDN’T score thankfully, but that’s hockey.

128. terrygain says:

1. It happened too fast for me to tell whether the Capitals defenceman touched the puck first.

2. Try to keep your paranoia in check.

3. How is anyone supposed to know.

4. Can I get you some cheese?

129. j2w4habs25 says:

1)  I jumped out of my seat and boy I was ever pissed off – lol I think it shouldve been a pently shot

2)  yesss sir, they for sure wouldve called it!

3)  yeah I would think so, it would have been a call, everyone seen it.

4)  maybe, who knows…

130. Bugs says:

1) I found a small animal and tortured it.

2) I think the refs give massages to our opponents during intermissions.

3) At 340K$ the tongue, no, I don’t think he would’ve swallowed it.

4) As much as it’s worked so far, sure.

Ridiculously overhyped, call me

131. Morocco says:

I thought it was a penalty, but I’ve been reading things from Capitals fans bitching about no calls on Montreal. I think everyone is unhappy with the refs.

Interesting tidbit in the Ovechkin article.

In three of his five games against Montreal this season, he’s failed to register a point.

133. PeterStone says:

My Apology Letter …

Dear Hal and Jaro … I would like to take this opportunity to apologize to both of you for clearly underestimating your abilities and what you would bring to my beloved Habs.  Hal … I thought you were slow as molasses … weak defensively … and lacked toughness for a big guy … although, thats probably still the case, you definitely excel in some of the finer aspects of the game .. you’re awesome on the PK … you have the wingspan of a 747 , and the way you put that melon right in front of opposing shooters sticks .. you clearly have a screw loose .. but you do it for the team .. and I certainly appreciate your efforts all season.  You are nowhere near as bad as they said in leafland … as a matter of fact, when used properly ( and give JM kudo’s for mostly using you in the right situation ) you are a solid NHL Dman !

Jaro .. i thought you were a wee little goalie, who was weak getting side to side and gave up the biggest juciest rebounds … i personally would have traded you for a 2nd earlier in the season , because I thought you would never be more than a backup at best, and out of the NHL within 5 years … now, 1 playoff game and 1 season certainly dont make a career .. but you got a lot more Dog in ya than I ever would have imagined.  Again .. as a fan of the Habs .. I appreciate it, and, applaud you for your efforts all season …

Now if Gionta had your size Hal .. and AK had your fight Jaro .. we’d really be cooking

134. j2w4habs25 says:

Its only one game… hopefully they play like the Canadiens I seen lastnight for the rest of the playoffs. :) 15 more games :) GO HABS GO!!

135. Chuck says:

Kudos to “the other Jaro” too. He had a hell of a game last night, and he did yeoman’s work earlier in the season when Markov was out. Hamrlik, too.

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

136. CanadienBoy says:

Past post i mention about Gill playing  like last year will be just great and so is Gomez who since 2003 has play 43 playoff games and got 49 pts not bad if not best on the team those guy like to step up for the big games so did  Gainey !!!

137. punkster says:

Good one PS.

I concur!!

139. Connecticut Man1 says:

Well? Here you can go over and vote on what the Caps should do… They wanted to know if it was time to push the big red panic button. Needless to say, I voted yes. lol

140. GrimJim says:

“Why didn’t this team play half as well in the last 2 weeks?”

If anyone knew the answer to that he or she would have better coaching record than Scotty Bowman.

The second last week of the regular season the Habs got two shutouts against Boston and Buffalo and a 2-1 loss to Canes. Was Mont. psyched playing tougher opponents or division rivals? Did they recognize the need at that point to get as many points as they could and therefore turned their game up? who knows. The last three games of the regular season were against teams that had nothing left to play for, so did the Isles, Leafs, and Canes play at the top of their game because they were mentally relaxed? Did the Isles, Canes and Leafs psyche themselves up to try to prevent Mont from getting in? Did the Habs subconsciously relax against the Isles and Canes because “all they needed was two points” so if they didn’t get it in the first game there was the possibility of getting it in the second or third? The question is impossible to answer. Why did five of seven home teams lose their first game? Who knows?

141. HabsFansince49 says:

It was a sweet victory and I hope not the last. Perhaps this question has been asked before but: Why?

Why didn’t this team play half as well in the last 2 weeks? Please someone enlighten me. This was an entirely different. Hal Gil looked brilliant and enough has been said about Spacek’s shut down of the Big “0”

I don’t pretend to be an expert; just a die-hard Habs fan passing my opinion

142. likehoy says:

i’m still convinced we would have seen a better jaro spacek ifhe had the chance to play the left side the whole year.

with subban and/or weber coming up next year..i wouldn’t be surprised to see spacek back on his natural left side where he moves the puck a lot quicker.

143. jbroderi says:

And did you hear macGuire?  Oh, no  he got the pucvk first, the puck first.  Bull crap he did!!

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

144. KenD29 says:

Couldn’t agree with you more!!

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

145. Mattyleg says:

Crapsicles… WHO is doing the colour on The Sheister Network for the Philly-NJ game?!

Don’t employ people with hllarious lisps! It’s irritating!!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

146. pmaraw says:

pretty sure its ray ferraro

147. pmaraw says:

stupid, selfish penalty by kovalchuk, especially in a 2-2 game when you’re trailing in the series.  pretty obvious he does have what it takes.

148. lavie says:

Chicago didn’t start Huet. Interesting.

149. SeriousFan09 says:

Not really, he’s been **** for over a month.

150. Mr.Hazard says:

Not really lol… Niemi is what, 7-0 in his past 7 games??

“love cannot drown truth, Nefertiti”

151. nickster13 says:

we didnt start the fire, it was always burning since the world’s been turning

152. Sambaguio says:

You guys still don’t understand that we won the game because of Halak.  In the first period, we were outshot but he gave us a chance to get our momentum. Do you still remember the year 1986? It was Roy who did it. This year, it will be Halak! I may be the only one who believed it then with Roy. I may be the only who believed it now with Halak. Cup 25! I could smell it!

——————————————
    Halak is the next Roy! Price is the next Theodore!

153. pmaraw says:

oh, thanks, i missed the game…

154. HabFanSince72 says:

Is Jason Spezza the most chickenshit player in the league. He never ever battles for the puck. Never gives an extra effort.

155. pmaraw says:

nothings changed since he played for the spitfires

156. Mattyleg says:

thufferin’ thuccotash!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

157. Mattyleg says:

The NJ-Phi game is SO much more interesting/exciting/competetive than the Ott-Pitt yawnfest.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

158. nickster13 says:

disagree. Its been a very physical affair, and lots of emotion

159. nickster13 says:

Why does everyone in the NHL circles have huge hard-on’s for anythign that Ovechkin and Crosby touch. Its like no other team exists when theyre on TV

160. habs11s says:

Well CBC has the Crosby Cam whenever he plays…. you’d never know that Pittsburg was playing an CANADIAN team..

If i had a nickle for everytime i’ve seen a shot of Crosby sitting on the bench, i’d be a millionaire. There are 20 other players on the team…. not just crosby or malkin or ovechkin

___________________________________________________________________________

161. B says:

For the same reason everyone focuses on Tiger Woods in golf?

162. SeriousFan09 says:

Jason Spezza does NOT = Bob Gainey, Crosby made him look like a Junior B player on that back of the net play. What a lazy ****.

163. SeriousFan09 says:

Going to go see Game 2 of the Bulldogs-Moose AHL playoff series tommorow, it’s a 2PM game so it won’t interfere with my playoff viewing schedule fortunately.

Hoping to see Subban score his first AHL Playoff goal, or just pull off one of his great end-to-end rushes.

164. Harani says:

“Habs Romance” song: Habs vs. Gaga. Download and listen to this track…pretty funny stuff!

“I gotta feeling…that tonight’s gonna be a good night!”

It’s so the CBC can trump NBC and get American viewers. ;-)

It used to be that the play-by-play followed the puck. Now the focus is on the player.

166. CHsam says:

Whatever Brucie Boy. The guy reminds me of hot dog eating contests. I dont know why

167. andrewberkshire says:

PJ Stock says the Habs didn’t deserve to win last night, I disagree.

Good article, Andrew.  PJ Stock is a half miler when it comes to being an announcer.  He’s a Don Cherry in training.

We were outplayed in the first period last night and Spacek was partly responsible for the first Washington goal.  After that we held our own to a man.  There were no passengers.