Audio: Habs hopes hinged on Halak

PREGAME AUDIO: Bruce Boudreau | Alex Ovechkin | Brooks Laich | Mike Knuble
Jacques Martin | Michael Cammalleri | Glen Metropolit

A whole lot of alliteration to say that Canadiens head coach Jacques Martin will put his faith tonight in goalie Jaroslav Halak.

The Canadiens need a win to force Game 6 back in Montreal on Monday. If Halak and the team don’t succeed, they should be back at the Bell Sports Complex on Monday, not to practice but to clean out their lockers.

Don’t believe the wildfire rumours that defenceman P.K. Subban is being recalled from the Hamilton Bulldogs for tonight’s game.

(Personally, I think Jacques Martin should tonight follow late coach Toe Blake’s strategy employed during the 1966 All-Star Game at the Forum between the Canadiens and NHL stars. Toe rotated goalies Gump Worsley and Charlie Hodge every five minutes. Gump must have been thrilled by that… Habs lost 5-2 and Gordie Howe scored a shorthanded goal for the winners.)

1. shootdapuck says:

No way worked offshore for too many years and saw first hand the long term effects of Satuation Diving!

Those guys were loonie! Complete nutters!

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3″

I worked pipeline construction around N.A. in the 60’s 70’s and later contracted out at times with fire and rescue teams. Lot of warm water sports diving up to the 80’s.

Cannot fit into my suit anymore. Do you dive?

3. Bugs says:

Bugs thinks that if the City that is Hockey is to be the object of snarky put-downs in regards to the roster and staff of its hockey club, the origin of of those put-downs should have its own competent alternative to point to in its own city.

Which it doesn’t. Not at all.

It’s the classic “bounces off me and sticks on you” fable we heard in school, finally manifest in our adult lives. The snarky doesn’t have a leg to stand on.

Champion that Calgary is.

Superfluously redundant, I remain

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant-Director of St-Habbie’s Hospital for the Blind, Head Physician of Neuroflannelogy Unit, and Occupational Therapist in Habsbros Emergency Ward: http://habsbros.blogspot.com/

4. Storm Man says:

I would have to stop you, I like it as a oil city gives me a nice lifestyle. Bugs needs to be in a rabbit farm

5. Bugs says:

That doesn’t matter, Calgary-boy. I don’t HAVE to “assume” where your allegiances (or lack thereof) lie because I don’t care.

There’s no assumption; it’s pure: You’re a Calgary boy. And Calgary has nothing to teach us about coaches, GMs and team rosters. End of story.

Not that I don’t enjoy your posts, mind, but Calgary has nothing to teach us.

Flamer-lover.

Superfluously redundant, I remain

6. Bill J says:

Agree with your position on Spach & Hammer – wasted money for what they bring to the table.

Makes me cringe that between them two & Gomez (while at least Gomez earns SOME of his money compared to the two clowns we are talking about) we could not only sign Kovalchuk – we could sign both our goalies AND fill in the holes left behind by outgoing players.

7. Clay4bc says:

Right you are Bill…you prefer Price, I prefer Halak…but we will both cheer just as hard when the other is in the nets. Time for some sleep before the game…catch you then.

_________________

Don’t argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

8. Bill J says:

Not the way I read it…. I think it may be more a matter of Timo hears the local news in CGY – and comments to the state of affairs of that team.

I don’t know, because I am neither Timo nor Bugs.

Like I said – I could be wrong, but that is the impression I have…

9. Storm Man says:

80,000 plus at home games vs 19,000 how do the caps have a giant fanbase, I have not touched the tv ratings yet.

10. Bill J says:

Like I said earlier – I think the moment we can just agree to disagree on some things, we could prolly be good friends.  I am at fault for allowing you to get my goat a bit this morning, but you’ve been working hard at it all morning.   Was bound to get me going eventually.

I just wish you could get under Backstroms skin & Ovcechkins skin like this…. Would be worth it to have you sitting behind the Caps bench for 60 mins lol

11. Bill J says:

I’m glad – because I hate arguing with fellow Hab fans…. So long as we can agree to disagree on some things, I would not be surprised to see we could be good friends.

As you said, we are equally smart enough to not be Leaf Fans 😉 lol

12. joeybarrie says:

So your saying that a small jab at the back of you from the goalie and a shots into your group with a puck is CLASSLESS??????  What kinda things did the guy in the article in your pic do???  Didn’t he PUNCH a ref? Can you even name a player in the NHL that hasnt done this type of thing???????

immature from a 10 year old and classless?????? But I guess I can’t argue with you…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

13. Storm Man says:

So Bugs thinks that only people that live in Montreal can be Habs fans does not matter where you are born and raised? Timo came to Calgary to make the big dollers or maybe he went hunting for rabbit one day and missed and up came some oil.

14. jimmy shaker says:

Totally understand about MAB…..I’m 100% convinced he’s not going to be back next year.  Just compairing him and Hammer and I’d take MAB anyday.  I just want Hammer and Spacek gone, and bring in some cheaper, younger more mobile D men, that will allow us to spend up front.  And the two names that come to mind are MAB and Dandy.  Yes because I like them both, but maybe someone just needs to shoot some other names out there to me of D-men who can fit the bill.  I’m open to any suggestions.

Shaker

15. Clay4bc says:

Keep this in mind, Bill J – every time you get angry, I win, because that’s my intent…so best just to ignore me, no?

_________________

16. Hayward4Price says:

So is Emery – there is a fine line :)

17. Bill J says:

And you have the audacity to accuse others of being illiterate.  The comparison was not of the talent of the goalies, but the EMOTIONAL makeup of the goalies.

Yet again – POT meet Mr. KETTLE!

WTF is your problem dude.

18. Clay4bc says:

Hey bill, we agree on something! Well, 2 things – we are both Habs fans, after all…

_________________

19. smiler2729 says:

Buddy, I was merely pointing out that both Price and Roy are emotional, hot tempered goalies who hate to lose and love to compete. And Ron Hextall, and Tom Barrasso, and Curtis Joseph…

20. Clay4bc says:

Interesting…”Emotion”? “Character”? These are characteristics I am familiar with from watching 40 years of hockey, and seeing champions like Stevie Y, Joe Sakic, Mark Messier, Guy Lafleur, Bob gainey, Larry Robinson, etc…funny, I don’t remember ANY of them shooting a puck into a crowd of celebrating players. Nor hacking an unsuspecting player from behind while sitting on the bench.

So how about this – combine “character’ and “emotion” with “class” and “respect for the game and it’s players”?

_________________

21. ed lopaz says:

so you like Caps over Pens this year.

I don’t.

I think Pens are a much tougher team to beat.

I also this we’re better than Ottawa.

22. Bugs says:

Calgary Flamer.

With a great, great team in Calgary. They know how to build winners over there. Champion Calgary.

Tellin us what’s what. They know, right?

If we could only be champions like Calgary, you know? Build a team like they have. With a great coach and GM to boot.

That’s what my friend Timo is sayin.

Perspective is all.

Superfluously redundant, I remain

23. Clay4bc says:

If a Caps player would have done that, you would be so up in arms about it. I don’t buy what you’re selling. Price is immature for his age – in fact, what he did is immature from a 10 year old. Classless.

_________________

24. Clay4bc says:

FFS, Price is not Roy. And likely he will never even be close to Roy in talent.

_________________

25. Bill J says:

LOL fair enough

Similar to me giving up on MAB when Markov returned from his injury. lol (just poking fun at your boy)

26. shootdapuck says:

Ian, I read somewhere here that you used to be a diver.

Where and when?

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3″

27. Bill J says:

I think & I may be wrong here, it’s because Timo lives in CGY.

At least that’s the impression I’ve had for a while now…

28. Bill J says:

Anytime – because we aren’t mind readers…. and you DID say what you DID say…  No need to get your knickers in a knot.

The Molson’s are not penny pinching this way, and the Habs WILL pay to the cap next year.  So ultimately that part of your post made no sense.

29. Storm Man says:

Bugs what is your deal with Calgary?? do you have some warrants for your arrest in Calgary?

30. Clay4bc says:

“When was the last time we got a win from Price???”

I think that was 52 days ago…

_________________

31. jimmy shaker says:

Ya, I gave up on him when he first signed here in July.

Shaker

32. Jocko says:

Crazy that these DJ;s can get a call through.  If I am the Coach, I tell the front counter staff that the players are not to be disturbed, PERIOD.  Even if God called, take a message!

That being said, I hope the Habs can extend the series and find SOMEBODY in the offseason that can make some sort of logical decision!  The Sens castoffs ALL have to go.  I called for Gainey’s head, and rightfully so.  The team he built in the offseason last year do not have the components to contend.  it’s funny how many d-men were chosen in the early rounds of the draft, and it looks like the only one who may be a good NHLer is Subban!

I don’t want to see Maurice tonight, I want to see The Rocket!

33. BJ says:

Yes I’m aware of that. It was more a thought of how the Molson’s have overpaid for the team and getting the extra $$$$$$$ would help in the debt. But thanks for the reminder to be clearer.

34. Bill J says:

Mara is also not signed for next season.

35. Bugs says:

And put a REAL champion team like Calgary together, right?

Superfluously redundant, I remain

36. SeriousFan09 says:

Redskins are falling out of favour in the city because of their years of constant failure, the Capitals rise as a powerhouse sports team, easily eclipsing all other franchises in the city has a lot to do with the giant fanbase they now have. People finally have a winning team to go see in Washington, Redskins will still do okay but the Capitals give the crowds a team that will actually win.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

37. Storm Man says:

The fans were giving it to Roy way before that game.

38. mrhabby says:

wake up on the wrong side of the bed?

39. Storm Man says:

It is a football city, Bet more people watched the draft over the hockey game tonight.

40. Habs1st says:

Oh, one more point… for any team, especially one such as our Montreal Canadiens, to go anywhere in the playoffs, the goaltender has to be spectacular in more than just the first period of the first game of the series.  Halak hasn’t done that, and my opinion is that he won’t tonight either.  I sure as Hell hope I wrong, but I just don’t see it.

41. jimmy shaker says:

Just trying to free up some cap space, and get our D more mobile.  I think this is a big upgrade to what we have and like I said at huge discount as well.  Therefore allowing us to spend on a top 6 forward.  I know it won’t happen, but I can’t think we will do anything with the D that we have now that is old, sluggish and really a non threat or factor for us.  All 7 guys minus MAB are signed for next year taking up about 23 mill of our cap.  Way too much for what they don’t or can’t bring to the table.  It doesn’t have to be Dandy or MAB, but we can’t go forward with what we have and the price tag that they come with.

Shaker

42. Bill J says:

Extra $$ in the coffers to help pay for someone who can help next season ? HUH ???

You do know the Habs have been spending to the cap for MANY years now right ?

43. Hayward4Price says:

Nope – Roy won a stanley cup in ’86 by standing on his head.  That gives him a pass for his crazy behavior :)

44. Bill J says:

Couldn’t agree with you more on this topic.

I am utterly disgusted with how this team was managed & coached this season.

I was likely giving Gainey too many chances, he has done SOME good things – but the amount of crappy decisions & choices he has made, have severely hampered this team’s ability to have a legitimate chance to compete for a few years now.

UGH.

45. Storm Man says:

I so hope so

46. Caballero says:

The voice of reason

47. habsgirl74 says:

wow, another smart post, well put

48. BJ says:

Its time for a little positive. The guys are trying their best (we may not be good enough but we’re trying). Who knows a great perfomance tonight and a game 6 (extra 3$$$$$$$$$ in the coffers for someone who can help next season). I’d love to extend it to at least 6 to make the Caps deflate some in their confidence and arrogance.We may not be as talented but anything is possible.

49. Habs1st says:

I could be wrong, but I don’t recall him having to be “spectacular” in that game, even in the first period.  Making 18 saves doesn’t necessarily mean “spectacular”, I thought he was definitely solid but didn’t think the chances Washington had were that great, so he was “solid”, as opposed to “spectacular”, “standing on his head”, etc., etc.   Same with Varlamov, up until the last game (I believe), he was solid.  In the last game, he made some truly heroic saves.

A team shooting the puck a lot, having the puck hit the goaltender in the logo on his jersey the majority of the times, doesn’t make the goaltender spectacular.  Quality, not quantity, is the key.  Don’t get me wrong, I think Halak can be absolutely spectacular at times, I just don’t think he has been at any point in this series.  Or at least not yet.

50. habsgirl74 says:

totally agree with you and i’ve noticed from reading your other posts who are one of the few on here who actually has a common sense knowledge of hockey