Audio: Habs hopes hinged on Halak

PREGAME AUDIO: Bruce Boudreau | Alex Ovechkin | Brooks Laich | Mike Knuble
Jacques Martin | Michael Cammalleri | Glen Metropolit

A whole lot of alliteration to say that Canadiens head coach Jacques Martin will put his faith tonight in goalie Jaroslav Halak.

The Canadiens need a win to force Game 6 back in Montreal on Monday. If Halak and the team don’t succeed, they should be back at the Bell Sports Complex on Monday, not to practice but to clean out their lockers.

Don’t believe the wildfire rumours that defenceman P.K. Subban is being recalled from the Hamilton Bulldogs for tonight’s game.

(Personally, I think Jacques Martin should tonight follow late coach Toe Blake’s strategy employed during the 1966 All-Star Game at the Forum between the Canadiens and NHL stars. Toe rotated goalies Gump Worsley and Charlie Hodge every five minutes. Gump must have been thrilled by that… Habs lost 5-2 and Gordie Howe scored a shorthanded goal for the winners.)

1. Bill J says:

And you have the audacity to accuse others of being illiterate.  The comparison was not of the talent of the goalies, but the EMOTIONAL makeup of the goalies.

Yet again – POT meet Mr. KETTLE!

WTF is your problem dude.

2. Clay4bc says:

Hey bill, we agree on something! Well, 2 things – we are both Habs fans, after all…

_________________

Don’t argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

3. joeybarrie says:

You wouldnt be too popular in Montreal if you did that at 8am on game day.  But, no here in DC. Actually it was pretty funny when he asked Price how many he was going to let in so he could make a bet… But still tasteless, and frustrating to a Habs fan…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

4. jimmy shaker says:

Huge braincramp that he’s well known for, but again Hammer started that fiasco by not clearing the puck out of the zone, but MAB did add to the chaos for sure.  Moore let Chimera go out of the corner in front of him, and MAB was covering air.  But the writing was already on the wall with Hammer and his 3rd TSN turning point play in as many games, basically handing the caps their 3 wins.  Believe it or not, I’d still take MAB at age 29 and his 750,000 price tag over Hammer’s 36 year old pilonesque frame and his 5.5mill salary, hands down for sure.  Said yesterday that I would buy out Hammer, trade Spacek along with one of our tenders that we aren’t able to sign and have a D lineup of

Markov/Subban

Dandenault/MAB

Gorges/Gil & O’byrne.

I know a lot of people wouldn’t go for it, but it would be a very big upgrade to what we have now, and at a big discount as well.  Dandy and MAB would be about 1.5 mill, gorges/gill, marky and o’byrne are already locked up so with the savings from hammer and spacek, we could go after that all important big top 6 forward who are very very common in the NHL.

Shaker

5. Bob Barker says:

That is ridiculous. It was a Montreal radio station?

6. smiler2729 says:

Buddy, I was merely pointing out that both Price and Roy are emotional, hot tempered goalies who hate to lose and love to compete. And Ron Hextall, and Tom Barrasso, and Curtis Joseph…

7. forskis says:

What bugs me is that the people complaining about Price showing emotion and character are the same people who complain that he does not show emotion nor character and instead acts like he is too cool or is a prima donna….pick one folks:  show emotion or show no emotion…you cannot complain that he does one and not the other and vice versa.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

8. Bob Barker says:

Both Halak and Price have 1 W in their last 6 GP. So either goaltending is not the problem, or they’ve been equally bad. That said, hopefully Halak comes up huge tonight.

9. Clay4bc says:

Interesting…”Emotion”? “Character”? These are characteristics I am familiar with from watching 40 years of hockey, and seeing champions like Stevie Y, Joe Sakic, Mark Messier, Guy Lafleur, Bob gainey, Larry Robinson, etc…funny, I don’t remember ANY of them shooting a puck into a crowd of celebrating players. Nor hacking an unsuspecting player from behind while sitting on the bench.

So how about this – combine “character’ and “emotion” with “class” and “respect for the game and it’s players”?

_________________

10. ed lopaz says:

so you like Caps over Pens this year.

I don’t.

I think Pens are a much tougher team to beat.

I also this we’re better than Ottawa.

11. Bugs says:

Calgary Flamer.

With a great, great team in Calgary. They know how to build winners over there. Champion Calgary.

Tellin us what’s what. They know, right?

If we could only be champions like Calgary, you know? Build a team like they have. With a great coach and GM to boot.

That’s what my friend Timo is sayin.

Perspective is all.

Superfluously redundant, I remain

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant-Director of St-Habbie’s Hospital for the Blind, Head Physician of Neuroflannelogy Unit, and Occupational Therapist in Habsbros Emergency Ward: http://habsbros.blogspot.com/

12. Bill J says:

Not to mention pulling Price a bit too early.

IE if the 5th goal is not scored on the empty netter, when Moore scores the game is now 4-3

THEN you pull the goalie, and have a legitimate shot at tying it up.

JM is a tool.  Roy in hindsight would have done better with this team.

13. Clay4bc says:

If a Caps player would have done that, you would be so up in arms about it. I don’t buy what you’re selling. Price is immature for his age – in fact, what he did is immature from a 10 year old. Classless.

_________________

14. SeriousFan09 says:

Difference between the Pens and the Capitals?

If their No. 1 centre has a guy on his wing and sets him up, good chance he’s going to cash in on it. Crosby must have set up Kunitz 10 times last night with decent scoring chances, he couldn’t cash in on one of them.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

15. Clay4bc says:

FFS, Price is not Roy. And likely he will never even be close to Roy in talent.

_________________

16. Hayward4Price says:

Never said that one is better than the other in big games.  I’m not comparing the two or pitting stats against each other.  The outcome of the game and series will not rest on who is in goal.

17. Bill J says:

LOL fair enough

Similar to me giving up on MAB when Markov returned from his injury. lol (just poking fun at your boy)

18. joeybarrie says:

So all I know for sure it this. Carey Price was awake this morning in his hotel room at 8am. Brian Gionta was asleep in his room at the same time. Extremely frustrating to listen to the radio show where they called the players in the hotel room early to see if they could poke some fun at them.

Price answered and the DJ asked him if he could tell him how many goals he was going to let in tonight so he could make a bet. Price hung up. Gio hung up as soon as he realized he didnt know the person.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

19. Hayward4Price says:

Normally on board with 99% of your posts but I have to disagree here.  It’s not the media telling me that he is immature.  It’s what I think and feel when I see his reactions to letting in goals.  It’s what I think and feel when seeing how he conducts himself on and off the ice.  It’s what his own coach admitted in a not so direct way when he said Carey has grown a lot this year.

As for it being unintentional to hit the Caps players, it’s precisely because he is such a good stick handler I am certain that it was intentional but he wanted to make it look unintentional.  The corner boards are not so far off out of his field of vision that he didn’t know they were there.  As a goalie he has got to have excellent peripheral vision to be successful.  He has to be able to see and know what is happening on more of the ice than any other player.

Anyhow, I don’t mind him being emotional one bit.  I just don’t want him to be typecast as a Ray Emery type so early in his career.  As I said way down below, earn your stripes and then act as crazy as you want.

20. shootdapuck says:

Ian, I read somewhere here that you used to be a diver.

Where and when?

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3″

21. mb says:

Do you have the link to the story?

22. Bill J says:

I think & I may be wrong here, it’s because Timo lives in CGY.

At least that’s the impression I’ve had for a while now…

23. ShangaDoo says:

Ugh. I was just reading that story. Who does that?

Was it a sports radio show?

24. Bill J says:

Anytime – because we aren’t mind readers…. and you DID say what you DID say…  No need to get your knickers in a knot.

The Molson’s are not penny pinching this way, and the Habs WILL pay to the cap next year.  So ultimately that part of your post made no sense.

25. Storm Man says:

Bugs what is your deal with Calgary?? do you have some warrants for your arrest in Calgary?

26. Storm Man says:

I just got tickets to the just for laughs festival.

27. Clay4bc says:

“When was the last time we got a win from Price???”

I think that was 52 days ago…

_________________

28. Storm Man says:

I think it was more of Price saying cant wait to be your teammate sooner the better

29. jimmy shaker says:

Ya, I gave up on him when he first signed here in July.

Shaker

30. Bill J says:

Your prolly right (not many people will go for it)

But I can live with your P.O.V. on the play.

Your defensive pairings are somewhat realistic though – maybe not in the players names, but in the sense we will not have as much salary invested on D-Men next season, we simply can not afford it.

So will likely be some “filler” guys….

Hey if they play hard & the cap hit is less then 1.5 Mill per player, I can live with that.

31. Storm Man says:

Radio shows have been doing it for years to other teams that are in town.

32. Habs1st says:

But how many is “as many games as possible”?  The last week of the season were clutch games.  Face it, we basically backed into the playoffs by losing in OT.  We needed two points out of a possible six against three non-playoff teams and that’s all we got – by losing twice, once in a shootout and once in OT!  Halak was amazing the weekend before, with the back to back shutouts.  Since then, I wouldn’t say he has sucked, but he’s definitely been “sub-par”.  Halak was definitely the superior goaltender during the vast majority of the regular season, but he stumbled during the last week of the season and in the playoffs.

I agree that Price is a long-term project.  Personally, I think he’ll be a great NHL goaltender, hopefully it will be with Montreal.  Who knows, maybe the team is planning to trade Halak and are gambling that he will shine tonight.  If they lose, no big deal, the team wasn’t expected to make it this far anyway.  If they win, on a brilliant performance by Halak, then it just increases his trade value.

33. Jocko says:

Crazy that these DJ;s can get a call through.  If I am the Coach, I tell the front counter staff that the players are not to be disturbed, PERIOD.  Even if God called, take a message!

That being said, I hope the Habs can extend the series and find SOMEBODY in the offseason that can make some sort of logical decision!  The Sens castoffs ALL have to go.  I called for Gainey’s head, and rightfully so.  The team he built in the offseason last year do not have the components to contend.  it’s funny how many d-men were chosen in the early rounds of the draft, and it looks like the only one who may be a good NHLer is Subban!

I don’t want to see Maurice tonight, I want to see The Rocket!

34. BJ says:

Yes I’m aware of that. It was more a thought of how the Molson’s have overpaid for the team and getting the extra $$$$$$$ would help in the debt. But thanks for the reminder to be clearer.

35. Bill J says:

Mara is also not signed for next season.

36. nickster13 says:

This was the smart move, he was the best goalie down the stretch, and if im Halak, this is what i played for, i played my heart out all year, and deserve to get the start in the pivotal game. It makes too much sense guys, even though Price didnt play bad at all last game, Halak earned the right to start this game all year long

37. Bugs says:

And put a REAL champion team like Calgary together, right?

Superfluously redundant, I remain

38. SeriousFan09 says:

Redskins are falling out of favour in the city because of their years of constant failure, the Capitals rise as a powerhouse sports team, easily eclipsing all other franchises in the city has a lot to do with the giant fanbase they now have. People finally have a winning team to go see in Washington, Redskins will still do okay but the Capitals give the crowds a team that will actually win.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

39. Storm Man says:

The fans were giving it to Roy way before that game.

40. mrhabby says:

wake up on the wrong side of the bed?

41. Storm Man says:

It is a football city, Bet more people watched the draft over the hockey game tonight.

42. Habs1st says:

Oh, one more point… for any team, especially one such as our Montreal Canadiens, to go anywhere in the playoffs, the goaltender has to be spectacular in more than just the first period of the first game of the series.  Halak hasn’t done that, and my opinion is that he won’t tonight either.  I sure as Hell hope I wrong, but I just don’t see it.

43. jimmy shaker says:

Just trying to free up some cap space, and get our D more mobile.  I think this is a big upgrade to what we have and like I said at huge discount as well.  Therefore allowing us to spend on a top 6 forward.  I know it won’t happen, but I can’t think we will do anything with the D that we have now that is old, sluggish and really a non threat or factor for us.  All 7 guys minus MAB are signed for next year taking up about 23 mill of our cap.  Way too much for what they don’t or can’t bring to the table.  It doesn’t have to be Dandy or MAB, but we can’t go forward with what we have and the price tag that they come with.

Shaker

44. Bill J says:

Extra $$ in the coffers to help pay for someone who can help next season ? HUH ???

You do know the Habs have been spending to the cap for MANY years now right ?

45. Hayward4Price says:

Nope – Roy won a stanley cup in ’86 by standing on his head.  That gives him a pass for his crazy behavior :)

46. Bill J says:

Couldn’t agree with you more on this topic.

I am utterly disgusted with how this team was managed & coached this season.

I was likely giving Gainey too many chances, he has done SOME good things – but the amount of crappy decisions & choices he has made, have severely hampered this team’s ability to have a legitimate chance to compete for a few years now.

UGH.

47. Storm Man says:

I so hope so

48. Caballero says:

The voice of reason

49. habsgirl74 says:

wow, another smart post, well put

50. lenny says:

they could have both of them in nets at the same time, wont matter issue isnt the goalies. it;s the coach and his mismanagement of the team…I like MAB, but he has no business playing as many minutes as he has…just one of too mny examples to get into