Audio: Habs, Crosby speak before Game 3

AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Michael Cammalleri | Hal Gill | Penguins’ Sidney Crosby 1 and 2

The news from the Bell Centre in the hours preceding Game 3 of the Eastern Conference semifinal between the Canadiens and visiting Pittsburgh Penguins:

Andrei Markov is reported by Team 990 radio to be done for the season with a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee. Of course, the team is confirming nothing.

Jordan Staal, who had foot surgery immediately after Game 1, skated gently and briefly this morning during the Penguins warmup. Coach Dan Bylsma continues to say that Staal is day to day.

Glen Metropolit returns to the Canadiens lineup tonight. Sergei Kostitsyn and Ben Maxwell are out. Defenceman Jaroslav Spacek remains out.

1. SeriousFan09 says:

Likely the forward I’d say, because if Pouliot doesn’t work out long term as top 6, that leaves us with 4 Top 6 forwards provided Plekanec signs a new contract. Avtsin, Kristo, Leblanc are all 1-2 years away from NHL action on an optimist’s expectations. Provided that new Top-6 player is the real deal as well of course.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

The 2 K boys will be a package deal for one top 6 forward or a top D. We may have to sweeten the pot if we can find a club to take them. But they are done here me thinks.

3. TomNickle says:

What makes Pronger dishonest?

4. SeriousFan09 says:

Flyers fans can’t get to Crosby for certain, taunting Fleury must be the objective.

You want to tick Crosby off? Trap the game. Penguins were swept by the NJ Devils this season because of it. Drives ‘em up the wall when they have to face it.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

5. TripleX says:

It is an inner ear infection brought about by the virus and it is wicked.  Very hard to get rid of and it results in extreme vertigo.

I had the same thing and I was in bed for two weeks and not right for another month.  If he comes back it is a credit to his athletic abilities and conditioning.  Although looking at Spacek, a highly conditioned body does not come to mind.  LOL

6. TripleX says:

Fans at the Bell have to get on MAF hardcore from the opening faceoff.  Unlike other Quebecois goalies his record at the Bell is not that great.  I think it is 4-3-1 with a save percentage around .890 which is not good at all.

Maybe the raucous crowd can throw him off his game.  Unfortunately the hostile crowd seems to fire Crosby up and he always seems to have great games in Montreal.

7. adesbarats says:

Are they still saying Spacek is out with a virus? If so, man, don’t let me get what he’s got – one heck of a freaking virus, all I gotta say….

8. Laramy87 says:

If Guerin is out in addition to Stalls absence, that could be a huge advantage for the habs tonight

9. kakey says:

People’s opinions are blinded by what happens in the last couple of games. You don’t have to go far, just look back at what people are saying after the Caps were leading 3-1 in the first round. I always keep some old newspaper and I remember last week Réjean Tremblay saying the the Habs’ problem was there was no captain, so no “official” leader to speak up when things go bad…

10. SeriousFan09 says:

I understand the physical nature of the game and guys having to battle outside the rules, Plekanec loves to give guys an extra bit of wood here and there when he plays, it’s how he draws penalties by ticking them off with extra stickwork and shoves.

This is it depends how you define class, I doubt anyone who’s been on the recieving end of his elbow thinks he’s a class act. He gets paid because in addition to his dirty hitting, he is still an excellent NHL defencemen much like Scott Stevens was, their dirty play was part of their game but they were still excellent in the skills department, hence their accoloades and success. I just will never, ever respect a guy who plays dirty and acts like it’s okay because he’s fun at a party afterwards.

I was an ass to work with my last job at times, if people thought ill of me that was fine with me but I never pretended that I wasn’t afterwards. I can stand an honest jerk, a dishonest one, not at all.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

11. Ton says:

ok not necessary to call anyone that! your not making a good case for trading him. the key here is could he endur for another 5 years and be productive  and be affordable for us at the same time ! not a pussy issue, overrated because he’s not, not horrible, poor posting for you.

12. SeriousFan09 says:

Those are the two dopes responsible for Detroit – San Jose game 2, fantastic…

Bettman NHL: Officating consistency? What the hell is that?

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

13. TomNickle says:

First, it’s butt-ending, not spearing.  Yes it is a penalty, and no, I haven’t played competitive hockey for a long time.

And I did it because I’m only 5’10 and wasn’t quite that tall for most of my playing days, you have to do what you have to do to create space for yourself.  The more tenacious, dirty, tough, whatever you want to call it you are, the more time and space you get with and without the puck.

Is Pronger a piece of garbage because teams pay him $7 million/year to be that player?

He may have been voted dirtiest, but I can assure you that he wouldn’t be voted least classy.

Patrick Roy was very adept at two handing the ankles and gettinga piece of players’ um….boys around his net.

You have to separate the player’s role from the person.

If being dirty is the only way that he can make that money playing hockey, so be it.

14. Ton says:

good option but at what price, if he states he wants to finish his career in montreal with a long term discounted contract i would do it quickly but if he needs to get paid what the top 5% are getting paid i would say pass!

15. Dintrox says:

Elliotte Friedman tweeted tonights refs — Kevin Pollock and  Brad Watson.

December 4, 2009 – Elmer Lach’s jersey took its rightful place with the Rocket’s in the rafters.

16. SeriousFan09 says:

You are aware you’re getting away with what’s basically spearing right?

You can be a saint off the ice and spend twenty hours a week working with the homeless, but you can’t say you’re a classy person if you’ve got a dirty elbow waiting for every player you can catch with it. You can’t just be a decent person off the ice and say well I’m nice here, that means what I do on the ice is excused. Chris Pronger is apparently a great guy when he’s not playing hockey but no one’s ever going to call him a classy hockey player.

I respect the legendary ability of Patrick Roy, but he wasn’t (can’t remember the name) the goalie who used his paddle like a battle axe on player’s ankles. I don’t think Roy was that classy a guy, but he didn’t throw cheap hits out from his goal crease. I call Pronger garbage because he’s an ill-tempered brute on the ice who thinks because he’s a nice guy off the ice it excuses what he does on it.

I know being dirty can win a Championship, just look at Claude Lemeiux’s career and impressive post-season scoring. But I will never respect their character, I will respect their skill in the game but I will never see Claude Lemieux, Scott Stevens or Chris Pronger as anything but a bunch of dirtbags.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

17. TomNickle says:

Yeah, it’s almost like there was a reason that Richards was picked and Cammalleri was left off.

I don’t think Gomez and Gionta wouldn’t have made our roster either.

I have a lot of heart, but I probably couldn’t have made the Habs roster or Team Canada’s roster for that matter.

18. Off-side says:

I agree with you that he does look lost — it’s too bad.  Now that you bring up JM, I remember others folks complaining that he was nutso not to play AK and SK.  Do you remember that too?  Maybe now we are starting to see what JM was going through with these two characters off the ice.  It’s so easy for us to judge a coach from our couch, but in the rooms we don’t see the attitudes…

19. Dintrox says:

Subban gets a trial by fire. Time for everybody to step up and do the heavy lifting on D by committee. Go Habs Go!

20. TomNickle says:

That’s why I said forwards ;)

Anyway.  Chris Pronger on the ice is dirty.  I was a dirty hockey player.  I think I’m a very classy person and wouldn’t really like it if somebody called me a piece of garbage.

My favourite thing to do was to slide the butt end of my stick through my hands and into a players’ guts when I hit them.  Never once got called for it.

My point is that Richards checks with an edge, Pronger plays dirty.  And you know what…..that kind of player wins championships.

And if we’re going to get on the subject of class, let me ask you this….do you like Patrick Roy or Darcy Tucker?

Two of the least gracious players in the history of hockey who carried themselves like arrogant children for years.

21. Shublips says:

Well said man!  I find that AK46 just looks lost out there…like he doesn’t know what he should be doing.  And, he is the type of player who doens’t respond well to be benched or having his ice time cut down.

Instead of coming back intent on showing the coach what he can do, he sulks.

JM and the Kostitsyn brothers just don’t seem to mesh and I think unless JM is fired in the offseason, the brothers K might be gone before training camp.

Habs Addict.com http://www.HabsAddict.com on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Habs-Addict/293450486615 on Twitter: http://twitter.com/HabsAddict on Hockeybuzz.com: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blogger_archive.php?blogger_id=137

22. Mrhab24 says:

Isnt it funny that 3 months ago, everyone was calling for his head. He made good moves and he made bad moves. sounds like a typical GM to me. His heart was heavy this year and we can all understand why. But after the product we see on the ice, I doubt one of us would complain if he came back. Well…….. for the 1st little while anyway.

23. Habs_Fan_1 says:

And what, pray tell, will be the motivation behind AK’s transformation from a slug to a butterfly? The playoffs themselves aren’t doing the trick.

24. nfldanchor says:

All we need now is a good backup to go with Halak. Our team was injured alll year and thats why we finished in 8th spot. With a full healthy team we were competitve with everyone. Players who need to step up in this game are AK46 ,Hamrlik ,Pouliot. If any of these guys score we are on our way to victory.

25. SeriousFan09 says:

It isn’t just the leg stomping incident, he tried to catch Subban from behind when wasn’t near the puck during our two-game set with the Flyers on PK’s brief call-up but Subban managed to duck him and Pronger looked ticked off that he didn’t get to crunch a rookie playing in the NHL for the first time? Pronger was listed one of the dirtiest players in the NHL by his own peers in a survey last year and his career is a pattern of going for cheap shots.

Here’s some of his best um… work.

I would take Crosby first to build a Team, than I would probably take Toews, but then I’d go Drew Doughty, as he’s displaying the evidence of being the best NHL defencemen in coming years. Olympian at 20 in a starring role.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

26. krob1000 says:

You could almost build an olympic gold medal team around those three …wait a second….

27. Habs_Fan_1 says:

Fantastic logic indeed! He can’t suck every single night so throw him onto the ice, he may just surprise us! Would you bet your livelihood that he’d win you a game instead of lose it?

28. mike g says:

Well said Tom. Agree on all counts.

Richards is above Getzlaf in my books.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

29. nfldanchor says:

There is an answer for Markov and his name is P.K. Subban . Imagine a raw rookie coming into the playoffs and performing great . He has a goal and a couple of assists already and gave out a few great hits as well in his first few games. He shows great speed and agility and is tough on his feet. I say give Gainey credit for that one  and for finally getting players with heart and balls like Gionta ,Spacek, Gomez, Moen , Gill and Cammallerri . These players show up every game and want to win every game. I’m proud to say that I have supported the Habs since I was a young boy and finally since 1993 we have something to cheer about. Way to go Bob ! You made the right moves and we are along for the playoff ride.

30. mike g says:

There’s a difference between being hot/cold, and being tenacious/lazy…

Andrei gives 0 effort. He has 1 good game, and then is gone for 20. It’s not the production part that pisses people off, it’s the lack of character, effort and desire.

Gomez is a hot/cold player. He will go on a 5 game point streak, then get shutout for 3-4 games. But, he always gives his effort. Can’t say that about AK.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

31. TomNickle says:

I know Chris Pronger and he is not a piece of garbage.  You may not appreciate the way he plays hockey but everyone makes mistakes and outside of the leg stomping incident he’s done nothing that would justify people calling him such a thing.

As far as heart, yes, Cammalleri and Gionta have it, and so does Richards.  He is much more versatile of a forward than any that we have now.  I would rank the following forwards as guys I would build a team around in the NHL.

1. Crosby

2. Toews

3. Richards

You may not like him.  But he is incredibly diverse in his skill set.  He has great leadership and is tough as nails.

32. nightmare_49 says:

… Probably old news ….. Pens’ Staal skates briefly prior to Game 3 ….. http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=528072

33. Norcal Habsfan says:

In contrast, PK says in an interview after the last game, “.. if they want me to fill water bottles I’ll fill water bottles.” If SK’s role is to sit and wait and work hard in practice then that’s his role. This is the second round of the playoffs. Injuries happen every day and I’m sure he would get a chance again. If he can’t put himself aside for the team in the playoffs then what does that say about him as a player. No way we get a bag of pucks for this guy in the off season.

34. TomNickle says:

I think keeping Markov and Subban is the best way to fill our back end with good defensemen.

35. SeriousFan09 says:

I’d take Mike Cammalleri in a heartbeat, or Brian Gionta over the punk. They play with heart, will, desire and CLASS.

Chris Pronger shows his heart on the ice, he’s still a piece of garbage.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

36. SeriousFan09 says:

He could at least try and pretend he was sorry, which I don’t think ever came up.

Gretzky high-sticked a guy and drew blood, Richards gave Booth a brain injury, not the same at all. NHL officating is a joke, but those were two very, very different situations.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

37. nfldanchor says:

I think the Habs will win again tonight because they are showing
    teamwork is the difference between winning and losing. When you see guys
    like Gionta , Gomez , Camallerri going in the corners and taking hits
    to make a play , it shows they have heart and character. Something we
    lacked for a number of years was players that come to compete every
    game. We have a hot goalie who came from the ECHL and now is placing
    himself as one of the best goalies the  Habs have seen in quite a few
    years. P.K. Subban will be the difference maker , he shows the same
    skills as Markov and seems to fill the void. I know Markov is a huge
    loss but the Pens are without Stall tonight as well. 3 men back defense
    and pouncing when offensive chances become available will be the key to
    success against the defending champs. Also allowing limited shots by
    Crosby and Malkin last game was the key to our win. Blocked shots don’t
    make it to the scoreboard , but they are invaluable when playing such an
    offensive team like the Pens . Just ask Ovechkin about blocked shots ,
    it sent him packing early.

38. TomNickle says:

Well I guess we hold different criteria for what makes a player good, great or sometimes effective.  I would take Mike Richards on our Habs team above any forward that we currently have under contract and cheer for him and the team.

I would rather cheer for a guy who shows his heart on the ice like Richards than a guy who isn’t interested in playing hockey like Andrei Kostitsyn.

39. habs4cup says:

Markov is without a doubt, THE MOST OVERRATED DMAN IN THE LEAGUE!  HE IS HORRIBLE DEFENSIVELY!

get rid of him. he’s sooooooooooo afraid to get hit. what a pussy!

40. SeriousFan09 says:

Brilliant idea! Then when Subban is hurt, the team can have a losing record instead of when Markov is hurt if we got rid of him and had only Subban!

Keep them both, have TWO excellent defencemen on the team. I hear a few teams did well having multiple star defencemen on their roster for Cups, including this really, really good team in the 1970s…

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

41. Off-side says:

Why’s everyone sitting on AK-46′s face for?  Okay, he sucked in the last few games we had but I remember once upon a time a lot of you saying that he needs to play more (and SK).  And, by the way, if I may add, we seem to forget how AK-46 scored a rat trick in one game against the Craps, no?  So, maybe he’s just hot, cold.  Been hot, then cold, maybe hot tonight?

42. mike g says:

Don’t blame him for not getting disciplined by the NHL…

Did Gretzky get a 4 minute penality for his high stick against the Leafs in the 93′ conference finals? Nope, and the Leafs lost.

Shouls everyone have hated Gretz after that, nope. It’s not his fault the league and the refs are horrible. Stuff happens.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

43. Ton says:

again you have a valid point but that is why you need to backfill on the backend, subban, etc or risk losing a player for nothing to free agency.  i would be very leary on resigning him due to 3 major injuries he’s had. i wish so badly he was playing for us buts he’s not and that’s when people start to evaluate the situation.

44. habs4cup says:

yes, especially since he only played 45 games, reaaaaaaaaaaally worn out and heartless, gutless too!

trade that fragile wimp!

45. SLONCOLD says:

had it rebuilt 1 and a half  years ago

46. SeriousFan09 says:

Not the first time Richards has thrown a hit you can call questionable, I don’t like his style of player, at all.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

47. SeriousFan09 says:

But he didn’t get suspended and didn’t act like he did anything wrong at all.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

48. Say Ash says:

A couple of months ago, Carey probably would have been off the ice with him. Nice from Price, I’d say.

49. mike g says:

WOW…

some people on this site are rediculous. It shows you only watch Habs games. Comparing Mike Richards to Tucker, lmao….

Watch a few Flyers games and then evaluate a player.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

50. mike g says:

Mike Richards is a warrior, say wtv you want about him he’s all gutz…

He will do anything to win. Every single player does something borderline in his career. He’s my favorite player, and I’ll admitt that deserved a 10-game suspension. When you play the type of game he plays, shit happens. The game is so fast, but he’s not a dirrty player.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

51. TomNickle says:

You would take Perry and Parise over Richards?

Parise you can make an argument for, Perry you simply cannot.

You’re letting a hit determine your complete evaluation of a player.

52. Danno says:

The Dog-House Bros are a couple of nose pickers.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

53. Mr. Biter says:

Must also make him a lot smarter than the other 29 G.M.’s who had 9 chances at him.

54. TomNickle says:

You’re missing the point completely.

Redden is an example of a puck moving defenseman, who, when in Ottawa, was very responsible in his own end.  They let him walk and are now relying on a 19 year old to be their puck mover from the back end.

Value is relative to the team the asset is a part of, and since we have nobody to replace Markov and his skill set is incredibly rare, he is as close to untouchable as it gets.

He isn’t just some fly by defenseman that you toss away to begin a rebuilding period, but I can assure you that would be the result of trading him.

55. derfab says:

To Victory (and the untimely demise of Cooke) tonight!

56. Ton says:

you provided a key reason in your text on why he is not an touchable. he will be a free agent and if you were running the company would you renew his contract for another 5 years/25 million plus knowing that he will be 39-40 when the contract is up, and knowing that he is injury prone. the fact that another team will sign him would you not want to fetch something for him. 1st round pick, or 2nd and a key roster player.

57. habs03 says:

Sorry if it was mentioned before, but S.Kost left the morning skate today early with the guys that are in the lineup night, usually the guys that aren’t play that night stick around for a while longer, Price went to S.Kost and asked why he was he leaving, he didn’t respond, then Price asked him again and he said none of your business, wow can’t wait until him and his bro are gone.