Audio: Habs, Crosby speak before Game 3

AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Michael Cammalleri | Hal Gill | Penguins’ Sidney Crosby 1 and 2

The news from the Bell Centre in the hours preceding Game 3 of the Eastern Conference semifinal between the Canadiens and visiting Pittsburgh Penguins:

Andrei Markov is reported by Team 990 radio to be done for the season with a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee. Of course, the team is confirming nothing.

Jordan Staal, who had foot surgery immediately after Game 1, skated gently and briefly this morning during the Penguins warmup. Coach Dan Bylsma continues to say that Staal is day to day.

Glen Metropolit returns to the Canadiens lineup tonight. Sergei Kostitsyn and Ben Maxwell are out. Defenceman Jaroslav Spacek remains out.

1. Chuck says:

If Andrei showed half of the talent that he has, we wouldn’t even be having this discussion. But hindsight is 20-20, and Gainey had no way of knowing that Andrei’s career path would have taken this course.

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

2. Ton says:

ok for most he is untouchable for a whole lot less than the three guys you mentioned. the three players you mentioned are untouchables surely offering a  player like markov wouldn’t change their status. He’ had two major injuries in one year and will be 33 next year and you want him to fetch a Keith, Doughtery, or weber.  furthermore you asessed redden way to high, rangers are not big on him! perhaps if you would have said Chara that is something different. Markov is no chara!!!

3. mike g says:

34 points and he missed 35 games. Not bad, on average for 50, maybe 53 points.

In a league where maximum 3 or 4 players get 100 points, I think 50-60 is excellent for a defenseman, no?

But I’m still waiting for your “big picture” replacement for him. You bash me, calling me an emotional poster, and make fun of me because I have a picture of Simple Jack (which is a picture I choose to have fun with on the internet).

So, who’s this replacement?

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

4. SeriousFan09 says:

Zach Parise and Corey Perry as well, but Richards is a dirtbag and Carter generally underperforms in post-season play.

I’d say the 2007 selection of P.K. Subban, who seems to be emerging as the best defencemen of the entire draft year makes up for it anyway.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

5. Shublips says:

Well when you consider that they picked Andrei Kostitsyn and passed on Mike Richards, Ryna Getzlaf, AND Jeff Carter (all three were available) I’d say that no, it doesn’t make up for it.

Habs on Facebook: on Twitter: on

6. light_n_tasty says:

So does Gainey’s diamond-in-the-rough, 9th round, 271st overall pick of Halak in the 2003 draft make up for his dud first round pick (AK46) in the same year?

7. SeriousFan09 says:

Inner ear infection, I heard Labyrinthitis which could mean a significant lay-up as it can cause prolonged vertigo and with that, no way can Spacek suit up for a game.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

8. TomNickle says:

How many games did it take him to get those 34 points?

9. TomNickle says:

How many games did it take him to get those 24 points?

10. Habscore says:

I gotta agree with everything you said on this post!

— YES HABS CAN!! —

11. TomNickle says:

Yeah, Murray didn’t make that call.

Muckler picked Redden over Chara at the conclusion of the 2006 season.  Murray wasn’t hired as GM until Summer 2007 season and quickly let Redden walk too.

12. Off-side says:

What the heck is going on with Spacek anyway?

13. SLONCOLD says:

well if people want to see what ACL reconstruction looks like click below and look at my knee after surgery:

Even if markov wanted to play without surgery. he would need 2 months min of rehab and conditioning before the swelling and leg was in shape to play…

14. TomNickle says:

I’m always cheering, and always concerned.

15. mike g says:

But Tom, you and I know that alot of people will not agree with us. Because most people would pick Mike Green to build their team instead of Markov. And we all know the impact Green has on a team when it counts. But hey, racking up points in the NHL is sexy, especially for a defenseman…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

16. mike g says:

Name me one logical scenario that makes sense for us, and this “big picture” you talk about.

Make sure it includes a 60 point defenseman, who’s always on the + side of the plus/minus stat, can play over 23 minutes per game, be a PP quarterback and rock on the PK, good with the guys in the room, and All-Star every year.

Comon, it’s your chance to be dramatic here. Make me believe it.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

17. SeriousFan09 says:

Hey, we’re still trying to win a playoff series with the Stanley Cup Champs missing two Top-4 Defencemen. 1 problem at a time there Tommy boy. Cheer today, worry tommorow.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

18. TomNickle says:

I don’t think it was Bryan Murray who let him go but I could be wrong.  I think it was Muckler.

Anyway.   The point I was making is that when you have a defenseman who can be elite at both ends of the ice, he’s much more valuable than a guy who’s game is limited.

Markov isn’t replaceable for us.  That’s the best way to put it.  And I say that because the Kings aren’t trading Doughty and the Blackhawks aren’t trading Keith.

19. habsman-itoba says:

Only ’till the morning comes.

20. mike g says:

And that short list ain’t going anywhere.

Doughty will be in LA for 10 years minimum.

Keith has a 13 year deal.

Weber will be captain once Arnott is let loose as a UFA this summer.

So, no trade

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

21. TomNickle says:

All of what you said brings me to my point that we cannot acquire a top 6 forward or top 4 defenseman as long as Pleks and Halak are back.

Not enough dough.

22. Dintrox says:

I think Bryan Murray still has nightmares about letting Chara walk. He picked Redden over Chara and ask the Rangers about good old Wade.

December 4, 2009 – Elmer Lach’s jersey took its rightful place with the Rocket’s in the rafters.

23. TomNickle says:

Like I said, if the options don’t include Keith, Doughty or Weber than yeah, he’s untouchable.

It’s taken the Ottawa Senators close to five years to find a player that could replace WADE REDDEN.

How long do you think it will take to find a replacement for Markov?  And don’t say P.K. Subban.  That would be a pretty big gamble on the organization’s part.

24. mike g says:

Markov is a top 5 defenseman in the league. You might get nothing for him because he has 1 year left on his contract. UFA status means he can go anywhere, in case you didn’t know…

And second of all, a top defenseman who can play the minutes and role that Markov has played for the Habs is the toughest thing to find in the league. He plays offense AND defense with world class abilities. Ask Washington if they wish they had one like him. Ask the Oilers and Ducks how they are doing since they got rid of Pronger. Ask the Devils how they’re doing, with Brodeur, but without Neidermayer. Ask the Sabres how they would have done this year without Tyler Myers. Or the Kings without Drew Doughty.

No matter what return Markov fetches, it doesn’t replace his value to this team. A 50 goal scorer doesn’t replace Markov. Speak to Tampa Bay how they’re doing with their 50 goal scorer in Stamkos. Did he bring them to the playoffs, nope.

Buddy, pay attention to Markov, because you clearly don’t appreciate him.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

25. TomNickle says:

If I were a sports writer I would be screaming for Doughty to be up for the Hart trophy.  Just as big of a snub as Miller.

And why don’t you send a letter to Dean Lombardi asking him if he can trade Doughty.

The return for Doughty would have to be Crosby.

I doubt that Lombardi would do Ovechkin for Doughty……seriously.

26. Ton says:

because he’s an untouchable right. Markov is not. not slaming markov here. big loss to us and I wish he was playing but for rebuilding the blue line and getting our team over the top it would not be bad idea to entertain options for him.

27. Danno says:

You too can win cool Hockey Canada stuff just by visiting Dennis Kane’s blog.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

28. Mrhab24 says:

Usually makes me happy

29. TomNickle says:

If we can get Doughty, Keith or Weber we aren’t taking a step backwards.

That’s a pretty short list and even if you add names to it it’s going to be short.

So the post, does make sense.

30. mrhabby says:

yes. but would never happen.

31. mike g says:

Above all, and according to most fans including myself, this team was lacking that the most…

They’ve proved us all wrong, and we love it

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

32. mrhabby says:

ya beat me to it.

33. habsman-itoba says:

Shoot.  I always thought vodka was happy juice.

34. TomNickle says:

Can the Kings trade Doughty?

35. SeriousFan09 says:

Price’s marketability is going to decline if he stays as a backup, he has his fans but they’re declining and as he continues to not live up to lofty expectations, he becomes a less valuable marketing tool. He’s a valuable asset, but at some point he might have to go and he doesn’t have arbitration, so all they have to do is give him a 5% on his rookie contract and that’s all, since his old contract at 2.2 was all bonus-based.

Next season, White, Pyatt, Pouliot, Subban, will be 4 roster players on entry-level or close-to entry level deals. Andreas Engqvist may come over from Sweden as well, another entry-level contract. Again, we don’t know what Halak and Plekanec’s deals will be, Halak commanding 4 million is a stretch considering Cam Ward was getting around 2.5 million a year after he won a Stanley Cup and Conn Smythe in 2006, Pleks may get close to 5 but again if he feels Montreal is on the right track for Championships, he may take less money to play for a contending team.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

36. mike g says:

This site would be filled with 2,000 GM’s screaming to sign him, trade them, and so on….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

37. HabsTrueBlue says:

“we complained about one thing all year”?

38. mike g says:

So this is what I’ve seen today:

-OMG, Markov’s out, we’re done the series and season is over.

-Why isn’t Markov playing on one leg, it only makes sense to do that in the NHL, right?

-The Kostitsyn bro’s will be packaged for a top 6 forward. Exactly true, because teams are lining up for a career healthy scratched player and his brother who sleepwalks 24/7. Those guys are in such demand.

Seriously guys, it’s ok to joke around and hope that Markov drinks some happy juice and pulls a miracle recovery like Stall seems to be doing. But, it ain’t gonna happen; Markov only drinks vodka. So please people, we have a big game to play tonight. Brace yourselves and put on your caps, t-shirts, jerseys, shoes, boxers (or thongs, oh yea) and socks of the Habs. Cheer on this team, because we complained about one thing all year. We complained that this squad lacked passion and heart. And if anything has been glaring and sparkling in these playoffs, it’s their heart, desire and passion. These boys are busting their butts and playing out of their minds. They are even mentioning how they love us fans in their interviews.

Be happy for them, they are doing this for the team and for us.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

39. Ton says:

leave the emotion out of it and ask yourself this; He is an untouchable on the team? (can the team move forward with out him) Does he command good value in return?

40. anotherhab says:

Ya, we held him to 1 shot per game and he’s a -1, keep up the good work guys!!!!

41. TomNickle says:

Like, lottery pick backwards.

I shutter to think about where the team would be right now if he hadn’t returned from injury.

42. TomNickle says:

Plekanec and Halak will command at least $9 million annually combined.  The only way we keep both is if we trade Hamrlik or Markov and play around five kids on entry level deals next season.

I don’t believe that Price is without leverage being that he’s been a great teammate since being demoted and the fact that he sells a ton of t-shirts and puts some butts in the seats.

Very highly marketable individual.

43. VancouverHab says:

I entirely agree (with your serious point.) Fowards and defensemen are just the same. A top-pairing defenseman with limited speed and mobility is just the same as a forward with limited speed and mobility. There is no danger in THE NHL PLAYOFFS to a defenseman who is slow, and can’t turn rapidly.

Yep — those people comparing Markov & Alfredson sho’ am smart..

44. mike g says:

If Marky is let go, this team takes a giant step backwards…

Like, a 3 year step backwards.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

45. TomNickle says:

Jaroslav Halak is an arbitration eligible RFA at the conclusion of the season, meaning that he can refuse to sign his qualifying offer and go to arbitration where he could be awarded a salary quite similar to say, Evgeni Nabakov, Marty Turco and others who’ve had similar seasons.

And you can bet your rear end that if Price is still a member of this team, that’s what he’s going to do.

And I don’t see Pierre Gauthier trading Carey Price, sorry to the people who hate him, but I’m fairly certain it isn’t going to happen.  He’s a tremendous business asset.  People purchase tickets just to see him, and that makes him tremendously valuable to this organization and that value isn’t going to be understood in trade negotiations by rival clubs if there are any.

Plekanec won’t be signing for a penny under $5 million per season now that he’s got the leverage of the trade deadline expiration.

And nobody will sign either goalie to an offer sheet.  Kevin Lowe doesn’t have a team to run.

46. habs4cup says:

I have vertigo, comminly called Labrynthitis and Serc cleared it up. It comes in waves but very manageable. Maybe Spacek should look up the word: PRESCRIPTION! they really work that is, iof he REAAAAAAAAAAlly wants to play.

47. Norcal Habsfan says:

Interesting that JM almosts annoints Gill as the leader in the room which seems to support what we see on the ice. I’ve had a hard time not viewing him as an ex-leaf until last week. You can say this about 2 or 3 guys in the locker room but for sure without Gill we would not be here.

Crosby sounds pissed not matter how hard he tries not to. I don’t know if that’s good or bad but I’ll bet that if he gets shut out of the scoresheet again we’ll see another tantrum. One can only hope.

48. TomNickle says:

Well it appears that Andrei Markov is going to be labelled soft for not playing through a torn acl injury.

I think Pierre Gauthier should trade him.  He has no heart, he isn’t tough, nobody in the dressing room respects, we were only 12 games over .500 with him in the lineup this year, he’s only been the most underrated defenseman in the NHL for the last 5 years, several analysts have him in their top 5 defensemen in the World.

He’s useless.

Daniel Alfreddson is not the standard of a player that we should be holding our players to.  They’ve been successful in the playoffs, he hasn’t.

And as far as comparing the injury, one guy’s body goes through around 18 minutes of ice time each game, the other guy goes double that.  His body is understandably more worn out than Alfredsson’s could ever be in a season.

No comparison here folks, NONE.

49. Corio says:

I second that.

50. mrhabby says:

when will the bubble burst and the pens capitalize on our thin back line and our tired forwards. martin must use the full bench tonight and not 3 lines other wise the pens gain advantage in the series. halak has been nothing but a saviour for the habs but surely cannot stop everything..then again anything is possible.

the 3rd and 4th lines have to produce tonight that to me is bottom line or the pens figure out the martin trap and start killing us…iam hoping its the lines that make a difference.

51. boris420 says:

Dude he could bring a golden turd with diamonds in it, if the other players don’t want to play with him he will sit…its common sense! When I used to play hockey we would all get together and tell the coach that if he did not bench his son next game we will refuse to play.

52. FB says:

Halak is an RFA so we going to get something back for him.  I can see him signing for 2.6 – 5.2 so 1st and 3rd with maybe a 2nd.  The habs will qualify him and price.  If they refuse to sign they can’t just go anywhere.  Plek’s on the other hand can walk away

$863,156 or less

$863,156 – $1,307,812

3rd round pick

$1,307,812 – $2,615,625

2nd round pick

$2,615,623 – $3,923,437

1st and 3rd round pick

$3,923,437 – $5,231,249

1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick

$5,231,249 – $6,539,062

Two 1st’s, one 2nd, one 3rd round pick

$6,539,062 or more

Four 1st round picks

53. SeriousFan09 says:

Depends on how deep we go in the playoffs I’d say.

Pleks might sign a better long-term deal cap-wise if we go far since he’ll feel better about reaching a championship in Montreal than the teams that might vie for his services. Halak will be signed based on his performances thus far. I think keeping both is possible, mostly because I’m feeling optimistic because of how the team is doing right now. Price still has NO leverage as a RFA to negotiate so unless someone rolls out an offer sheet I don’t see it happening. Flyers don’t have the picks to make one, the Bottom 5 teams either have their goaltending or won’t risk their Top 5 pick and Bernier, Schneider in the AHL will be the sought-after young goalies this summer.

Stay positive, worry about the team for next year when this one has stopped playing.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

54. TomNickle says:

Sergei will only be an effective top 6 forward for a team that finds somebody who can communicate with him and baby him to the point where he feels he can do no wrong.

Andrei Kostitsyn is a lost cause.  He is Alex Kovalev with less production.  And shows up to play less.

Those two on any other team may turn out to be quality top 6 forwards,  but not for 82 games in a season.  Not even for 50 in a season.

55. FB says:

So they can play with their best friend Grabovski

56. mrhabby says:

i doubt very much it would be a top 6 forward or a top d men …ur right we would have to sweeten the pot alot in order to make that happen…they really have no track record, no history for a value to be placed on them like that.

57. TripleX says:

Eric Engals says that Daniel Alfreddson put off surgery and played with a torn ACL last year.  Apparently you can not do more damage once it is torn as long as you can put up with the pain.

I love the skill of Markov but I kinda wonder about his pain thresh hold?  Daniel is well known for his capacity to suffer through pain.

“Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.”

58. TomNickle says:

The organization isn’t going to be able to keep Pleks, Halak and Price.

Price will be cheap, Halak and Pleks, not so much.

I’d say there will be a choice made between the two.

Hard to say which one will be kept.

59. SeriousFan09 says:

They’re still both young and someone’s always looking to make a reclamation project out of such players. There will be at least one marginal expansion team looking to add some top-6 potential and deal a pending UFA who’s not going to sign with them anyway because he’s tired of being on a team going nowhere. Don’t know what that team is, but I guess we’ll find out. AK and SK add to about 4 million in cap space, any pending free agent who might be able to score 20 goals is going to cost that likely considering the ultra-thin talent on the UFA market this summer.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

I am so gonna lose sleep over that one.

61. TripleX says:

I wish ONE reporter had the NADS to ask JM what Maxwell brings to the table that SK doesn’t.  Even if SK only plays the PK that allows Gomez and Pleks to rest a little.

62. TripleX says:

Be careful what you wish for.  I have no doubt the brothers will be effective top six forwards on a team like Toronto.

Right now if the Habs can get a bag of pucks and a few hockey sticks for those two they’d be lucky. The sooner they’re gone the better, mind you I like SK more than AK. AK is one of the worst picks the Habs ever made, given the talent available that year. AK is in a fog, has no compete level and is the epitomy of what a floater is.

64. MTLForever says:

Tonight would be a huge win. GO HABS GO

2010 version of Feels like 93

65. Mikey_39 says:

I find that such a shame.  I really like the idea of having brothers playing together.

66. SeriousFan09 says:

Likely the forward I’d say, because if Pouliot doesn’t work out long term as top 6, that leaves us with 4 Top 6 forwards provided Plekanec signs a new contract. Avtsin, Kristo, Leblanc are all 1-2 years away from NHL action on an optimist’s expectations. Provided that new Top-6 player is the real deal as well of course.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

The 2 K boys will be a package deal for one top 6 forward or a top D. We may have to sweeten the pot if we can find a club to take them. But they are done here me thinks.

68. SeriousFan09 says:

Flyers fans can’t get to Crosby for certain, taunting Fleury must be the objective.

You want to tick Crosby off? Trap the game. Penguins were swept by the NJ Devils this season because of it. Drives ’em up the wall when they have to face it.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

69. TripleX says:

It is an inner ear infection brought about by the virus and it is wicked.  Very hard to get rid of and it results in extreme vertigo.

I had the same thing and I was in bed for two weeks and not right for another month.  If he comes back it is a credit to his athletic abilities and conditioning.  Although looking at Spacek, a highly conditioned body does not come to mind.  LOL

70. TripleX says:

Fans at the Bell have to get on MAF hardcore from the opening faceoff.  Unlike other Quebecois goalies his record at the Bell is not that great.  I think it is 4-3-1 with a save percentage around .890 which is not good at all.

Maybe the raucous crowd can throw him off his game.  Unfortunately the hostile crowd seems to fire Crosby up and he always seems to have great games in Montreal.

71. adesbarats says:

Are they still saying Spacek is out with a virus? If so, man, don’t let me get what he’s got – one heck of a freaking virus, all I gotta say….

72. Laramy87 says:

If Guerin is out in addition to Stalls absence, that could be a huge advantage for the habs tonight

73. SeriousFan09 says:

Those are the two dopes responsible for Detroit – San Jose game 2, fantastic…

Bettman NHL: Officating consistency? What the hell is that?

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

74. Dintrox says:

Elliotte Friedman tweeted tonights refs — Kevin Pollock and  Brad Watson.

75. Dintrox says:

Subban gets a trial by fire. Time for everybody to step up and do the heavy lifting on D by committee. Go Habs Go!