Audio: Habs, Crosby speak before Game 3

AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Michael Cammalleri | Hal Gill | Penguins’ Sidney Crosby 1 and 2

The news from the Bell Centre in the hours preceding Game 3 of the Eastern Conference semifinal between the Canadiens and visiting Pittsburgh Penguins:

Andrei Markov is reported by Team 990 radio to be done for the season with a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee. Of course, the team is confirming nothing.

Jordan Staal, who had foot surgery immediately after Game 1, skated gently and briefly this morning during the Penguins warmup. Coach Dan Bylsma continues to say that Staal is day to day.

Glen Metropolit returns to the Canadiens lineup tonight. Sergei Kostitsyn and Ben Maxwell are out. Defenceman Jaroslav Spacek remains out.

1. derfab says:

I agree with you on Richards. He is one of those overrated, new face of the nhl guys who dishes out 3 cheapshots a game. Darcy Tucker without the guts.

2. mike g says:

BINGO!

Typical Habs fan speaking, that’s what you are. Let’s replace a 10 year All-Star veteran with a 20 year old kid!

That’s the solution, PK has played 3 awsome games here but he deserves to replace a guy like Markov who’s been this teams best defenseman for over 5 years now. Throw Markov in the garbage, our 20 year old saviour is here now!

We all know what happened last time we thaught like that. That problem is sitting on the bench now, watching Halak steal games left and right.

3. SeriousFan09 says:

Getzlaf and Perry yes, I’d also take Parise, but Carter’s 2009 playoffs were a joke considering his regular season numbers and Richards is a punk, if he’d done what he did to Booth in a Habs uniform I’d have called for him to be thrown off the team.

4. mrhabby says:

me send a letter to DL…wtf???

yes the return would have to be crosby…

5. derfab says:

We may not need to be patient but AK 46 is still very young and should get smarter, tougher and more consistent soon, like most players in their early twenties.

in the meantime, any other draft picks get a hat trick recently?

6. Chuck says:

Unfortunately you don’t have the benefit of hindsight when you make your picks.

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

7. mrhabby says:

how long ago was this.??

8. mike g says:

For as well as Halak’s been playing, he’s not in the same category as any of those guys.

Jeff Carter’s scored 40 goals. Roughly 5 guys do that in the NHL these days.

Mike Richards would be everyone’s favorite player if he was a Hab. Trust me.

Getzlaf and Perry are beasts, and have cup rings.

etc, etc…I see what you’re trying to say, but I can’t forgive BG for that picking of AK. I’ve supported Bob for his whole tenure, that was just a horrible blunder of a pick. Maybe Timmins deserves the blame, but whoever it was, they botched it big time.

9. Chuck says:

If Andrei showed half of the talent that he has, we wouldn’t even be having this discussion. But hindsight is 20-20, and Gainey had no way of knowing that Andrei’s career path would have taken this course.

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

10. Ton says:

ok for most he is untouchable for a whole lot less than the three guys you mentioned. the three players you mentioned are untouchables surely offering a  player like markov wouldn’t change their status. He’ had two major injuries in one year and will be 33 next year and you want him to fetch a Keith, Doughtery, or weber.  furthermore you asessed redden way to high, rangers are not big on him! perhaps if you would have said Chara that is something different. Markov is no chara!!!

11. mike g says:

34 points and he missed 35 games. Not bad, on average for 50, maybe 53 points.

In a league where maximum 3 or 4 players get 100 points, I think 50-60 is excellent for a defenseman, no?

But I’m still waiting for your “big picture” replacement for him. You bash me, calling me an emotional poster, and make fun of me because I have a picture of Simple Jack (which is a picture I choose to have fun with on the internet).

So, who’s this replacement?

12. SeriousFan09 says:

Zach Parise and Corey Perry as well, but Richards is a dirtbag and Carter generally underperforms in post-season play.

I’d say the 2007 selection of P.K. Subban, who seems to be emerging as the best defencemen of the entire draft year makes up for it anyway.

13. Shublips says:

Well when you consider that they picked Andrei Kostitsyn and passed on Mike Richards, Ryna Getzlaf, AND Jeff Carter (all three were available) I’d say that no, it doesn’t make up for it.

Habs Addict.com http://www.HabsAddict.com on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Habs-Addict/293450486615 on Twitter: http://twitter.com/HabsAddict on Hockeybuzz.com: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blogger_archive.php?blogger_id=137

14. light_n_tasty says:

So does Gainey’s diamond-in-the-rough, 9th round, 271st overall pick of Halak in the 2003 draft make up for his dud first round pick (AK46) in the same year?

15. SeriousFan09 says:

Inner ear infection, I heard Labyrinthitis which could mean a significant lay-up as it can cause prolonged vertigo and with that, no way can Spacek suit up for a game.

16. TomNickle says:

How many games did it take him to get those 34 points?

17. TomNickle says:

How many games did it take him to get those 24 points?

18. Habscore says:

I gotta agree with everything you said on this post!

– YES HABS CAN!! –

19. TomNickle says:

Yeah, Murray didn’t make that call.

Muckler picked Redden over Chara at the conclusion of the 2006 season.  Murray wasn’t hired as GM until Summer 2007 season and quickly let Redden walk too.

20. Off-side says:

What the heck is going on with Spacek anyway?

21. SLONCOLD says:

well if people want to see what ACL reconstruction looks like click below and look at my knee after surgery:

Even if markov wanted to play without surgery. he would need 2 months min of rehab and conditioning before the swelling and leg was in shape to play…

22. TomNickle says:

I’m always cheering, and always concerned.

23. mike g says:

Exactly..

But Tom, you and I know that alot of people will not agree with us. Because most people would pick Mike Green to build their team instead of Markov. And we all know the impact Green has on a team when it counts. But hey, racking up points in the NHL is sexy, especially for a defenseman…

24. mike g says:

Name me one logical scenario that makes sense for us, and this “big picture” you talk about.

Make sure it includes a 60 point defenseman, who’s always on the + side of the plus/minus stat, can play over 23 minutes per game, be a PP quarterback and rock on the PK, good with the guys in the room, and All-Star every year.

Comon, it’s your chance to be dramatic here. Make me believe it.

25. SeriousFan09 says:

Hey, we’re still trying to win a playoff series with the Stanley Cup Champs missing two Top-4 Defencemen. 1 problem at a time there Tommy boy. Cheer today, worry tommorow.

26. TomNickle says:

I don’t think it was Bryan Murray who let him go but I could be wrong.  I think it was Muckler.

Anyway.   The point I was making is that when you have a defenseman who can be elite at both ends of the ice, he’s much more valuable than a guy who’s game is limited.

Markov isn’t replaceable for us.  That’s the best way to put it.  And I say that because the Kings aren’t trading Doughty and the Blackhawks aren’t trading Keith.

27. habsman-itoba says:

Only ’till the morning comes.

28. mike g says:

And that short list ain’t going anywhere.

Doughty will be in LA for 10 years minimum.

Keith has a 13 year deal.

Weber will be captain once Arnott is let loose as a UFA this summer.

So, no trade

29. TomNickle says:

All of what you said brings me to my point that we cannot acquire a top 6 forward or top 4 defenseman as long as Pleks and Halak are back.

Not enough dough.

30. Dintrox says:

I think Bryan Murray still has nightmares about letting Chara walk. He picked Redden over Chara and ask the Rangers about good old Wade.

December 4, 2009 – Elmer Lach’s jersey took its rightful place with the Rocket’s in the rafters.

31. TomNickle says:

Like I said, if the options don’t include Keith, Doughty or Weber than yeah, he’s untouchable.

It’s taken the Ottawa Senators close to five years to find a player that could replace WADE REDDEN.

How long do you think it will take to find a replacement for Markov?  And don’t say P.K. Subban.  That would be a pretty big gamble on the organization’s part.

32. mike g says:

OK SERIOUSLY BUDDY, stfu…

Markov is a top 5 defenseman in the league. You might get nothing for him because he has 1 year left on his contract. UFA status means he can go anywhere, in case you didn’t know…

And second of all, a top defenseman who can play the minutes and role that Markov has played for the Habs is the toughest thing to find in the league. He plays offense AND defense with world class abilities. Ask Washington if they wish they had one like him. Ask the Oilers and Ducks how they are doing since they got rid of Pronger. Ask the Devils how they’re doing, with Brodeur, but without Neidermayer. Ask the Sabres how they would have done this year without Tyler Myers. Or the Kings without Drew Doughty.

No matter what return Markov fetches, it doesn’t replace his value to this team. A 50 goal scorer doesn’t replace Markov. Speak to Tampa Bay how they’re doing with their 50 goal scorer in Stamkos. Did he bring them to the playoffs, nope.

Buddy, pay attention to Markov, because you clearly don’t appreciate him.

33. TomNickle says:

If I were a sports writer I would be screaming for Doughty to be up for the Hart trophy.  Just as big of a snub as Miller.

And why don’t you send a letter to Dean Lombardi asking him if he can trade Doughty.

The return for Doughty would have to be Crosby.

I doubt that Lombardi would do Ovechkin for Doughty……seriously.

34. Jeff says:

Sorry Bud, I’ve watched Hockey for a long time and would have to place Scott Stevens as one of the worst players in the league…..Why?

He intended to hurt opposing players with his dirty hits.

One of the worst was a hit on a rookie or newcomer, a lot smaller than him, when the game was very much in Jerseys’ favour.

It was a sickening display by one of the dirtiest cheap shotters in the NHL.

No respect for that douche bag, BTW I’d say it to his face too…..

35. Ton says:

because he’s an untouchable right. Markov is not. not slaming markov here. big loss to us and I wish he was playing but for rebuilding the blue line and getting our team over the top it would not be bad idea to entertain options for him.

36. Danno says:

You too can win cool Hockey Canada stuff just by visiting Dennis Kane’s blog.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

37. Mrhab24 says:

Usually makes me happy

38. TomNickle says:

If we can get Doughty, Keith or Weber we aren’t taking a step backwards.

That’s a pretty short list and even if you add names to it it’s going to be short.

So the post, does make sense.

39. mrhabby says:

yes. but would never happen.

40. mike g says:

Above all, and according to most fans including myself, this team was lacking that the most…

They’ve proved us all wrong, and we love it

41. mrhabby says:

ya beat me to it.

42. habsman-itoba says:

Shoot.  I always thought vodka was happy juice.

43. TomNickle says:

Can the Kings trade Doughty?

44. SeriousFan09 says:

Price’s marketability is going to decline if he stays as a backup, he has his fans but they’re declining and as he continues to not live up to lofty expectations, he becomes a less valuable marketing tool. He’s a valuable asset, but at some point he might have to go and he doesn’t have arbitration, so all they have to do is give him a 5% on his rookie contract and that’s all, since his old contract at 2.2 was all bonus-based.

Next season, White, Pyatt, Pouliot, Subban, will be 4 roster players on entry-level or close-to entry level deals. Andreas Engqvist may come over from Sweden as well, another entry-level contract. Again, we don’t know what Halak and Plekanec’s deals will be, Halak commanding 4 million is a stretch considering Cam Ward was getting around 2.5 million a year after he won a Stanley Cup and Conn Smythe in 2006, Pleks may get close to 5 but again if he feels Montreal is on the right track for Championships, he may take less money to play for a contending team.

45. mike g says:

This site would be filled with 2,000 GM’s screaming to sign him, trade them, and so on….

46. HabsTrueBlue says:

“we complained about one thing all year”?

47. mike g says:

So this is what I’ve seen today:

-OMG, Markov’s out, we’re done the series and season is over.

-Why isn’t Markov playing on one leg, it only makes sense to do that in the NHL, right?

-The Kostitsyn bro’s will be packaged for a top 6 forward. Exactly true, because teams are lining up for a career healthy scratched player and his brother who sleepwalks 24/7. Those guys are in such demand.

Seriously guys, it’s ok to joke around and hope that Markov drinks some happy juice and pulls a miracle recovery like Stall seems to be doing. But, it ain’t gonna happen; Markov only drinks vodka. So please people, we have a big game to play tonight. Brace yourselves and put on your caps, t-shirts, jerseys, shoes, boxers (or thongs, oh yea) and socks of the Habs. Cheer on this team, because we complained about one thing all year. We complained that this squad lacked passion and heart. And if anything has been glaring and sparkling in these playoffs, it’s their heart, desire and passion. These boys are busting their butts and playing out of their minds. They are even mentioning how they love us fans in their interviews.

Be happy for them, they are doing this for the team and for us.

48. Ton says:

leave the emotion out of it and ask yourself this; He is an untouchable on the team? (can the team move forward with out him) Does he command good value in return?

49. anotherhab says:

Ya, we held him to 1 shot per game and he’s a -1, keep up the good work guys!!!!

50. TomNickle says:

Like, lottery pick backwards.

I shutter to think about where the team would be right now if he hadn’t returned from injury.

51. TomNickle says:

Plekanec and Halak will command at least $9 million annually combined.  The only way we keep both is if we trade Hamrlik or Markov and play around five kids on entry level deals next season.

I don’t believe that Price is without leverage being that he’s been a great teammate since being demoted and the fact that he sells a ton of t-shirts and puts some butts in the seats.

Very highly marketable individual.

52. VancouverHab says:

I entirely agree (with your serious point.) Fowards and defensemen are just the same. A top-pairing defenseman with limited speed and mobility is just the same as a forward with limited speed and mobility. There is no danger in THE NHL PLAYOFFS to a defenseman who is slow, and can’t turn rapidly.

Yep — those people comparing Markov & Alfredson sho’ am smart..

53. mike g says:

If Marky is let go, this team takes a giant step backwards…

Like, a 3 year step backwards.

54. subdoxastic says:

Please for all that your consider holy, take Scott Stevens off your list. I’ve watched him live, on the t.v. and seen the greatest hits on youtube. All that info, has me seeing only one borderline hit, one where the angle of attack starts behind the opposing player.

Don’t like hits to head, neither do I. I’m all for getting rid of blindsiding in the game, but I do not want to see hitting disappear, and people lablelling one of the fiercest, competitive and skilled hitters on the ice as a “dirtbag” (particularly in light of current attitudes and opinions, and not on the past standards that the player was operating under) is beyond the pale.

Or was Scotty supposed to give the Big E a pass? Let Lindros waltz across the blueline, controlling the puck– with his head down?

In the stanley cup playoffs?

Maybe you’re biased, maybe Scott Stevens caught you in the trolley tracks– you’re inclusion of him on this list certainly makes you sound concussed.

Regards.

55. TomNickle says:

Jaroslav Halak is an arbitration eligible RFA at the conclusion of the season, meaning that he can refuse to sign his qualifying offer and go to arbitration where he could be awarded a salary quite similar to say, Evgeni Nabakov, Marty Turco and others who’ve had similar seasons.

And you can bet your rear end that if Price is still a member of this team, that’s what he’s going to do.

And I don’t see Pierre Gauthier trading Carey Price, sorry to the people who hate him, but I’m fairly certain it isn’t going to happen.  He’s a tremendous business asset.  People purchase tickets just to see him, and that makes him tremendously valuable to this organization and that value isn’t going to be understood in trade negotiations by rival clubs if there are any.

Plekanec won’t be signing for a penny under $5 million per season now that he’s got the leverage of the trade deadline expiration.

And nobody will sign either goalie to an offer sheet.  Kevin Lowe doesn’t have a team to run.

56. habs4cup says:

I have vertigo, comminly called Labrynthitis and Serc cleared it up. It comes in waves but very manageable. Maybe Spacek should look up the word: PRESCRIPTION! they really work that is, iof he REAAAAAAAAAAlly wants to play.

57. Norcal Habsfan says:

Interesting that JM almosts annoints Gill as the leader in the room which seems to support what we see on the ice. I’ve had a hard time not viewing him as an ex-leaf until last week. You can say this about 2 or 3 guys in the locker room but for sure without Gill we would not be here.

Crosby sounds pissed not matter how hard he tries not to. I don’t know if that’s good or bad but I’ll bet that if he gets shut out of the scoresheet again we’ll see another tantrum. One can only hope.

58. TomNickle says:

Well it appears that Andrei Markov is going to be labelled soft for not playing through a torn acl injury.

Wow!

I think Pierre Gauthier should trade him.  He has no heart, he isn’t tough, nobody in the dressing room respects, we were only 12 games over .500 with him in the lineup this year, he’s only been the most underrated defenseman in the NHL for the last 5 years, several analysts have him in their top 5 defensemen in the World.

He’s useless.

Daniel Alfreddson is not the standard of a player that we should be holding our players to.  They’ve been successful in the playoffs, he hasn’t.

And as far as comparing the injury, one guy’s body goes through around 18 minutes of ice time each game, the other guy goes double that.  His body is understandably more worn out than Alfredsson’s could ever be in a season.

No comparison here folks, NONE.

59. Corio says:

I second that.

60. mrhabby says:

when will the bubble burst and the pens capitalize on our thin back line and our tired forwards. martin must use the full bench tonight and not 3 lines other wise the pens gain advantage in the series. halak has been nothing but a saviour for the habs but surely cannot stop everything..then again anything is possible.

the 3rd and 4th lines have to produce tonight that to me is bottom line or the pens figure out the martin trap and start killing us…iam hoping its the lines that make a difference.

61. boris420 says:

Dude he could bring a golden turd with diamonds in it, if the other players don’t want to play with him he will sit…its common sense! When I used to play hockey we would all get together and tell the coach that if he did not bench his son next game we will refuse to play.

62. FB says:

Halak is an RFA so we going to get something back for him.  I can see him signing for 2.6 – 5.2 so 1st and 3rd with maybe a 2nd.  The habs will qualify him and price.  If they refuse to sign they can’t just go anywhere.  Plek’s on the other hand can walk away

$863,156 or less

1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick

$5,231,249 – $6,539,062

Two 1st’s, one 2nd, one 3rd round pick

$6,539,062 or more

Four 1st round picks

63. SeriousFan09 says:

Depends on how deep we go in the playoffs I’d say.

Pleks might sign a better long-term deal cap-wise if we go far since he’ll feel better about reaching a championship in Montreal than the teams that might vie for his services. Halak will be signed based on his performances thus far. I think keeping both is possible, mostly because I’m feeling optimistic because of how the team is doing right now. Price still has NO leverage as a RFA to negotiate so unless someone rolls out an offer sheet I don’t see it happening. Flyers don’t have the picks to make one, the Bottom 5 teams either have their goaltending or won’t risk their Top 5 pick and Bernier, Schneider in the AHL will be the sought-after young goalies this summer.

Stay positive, worry about the team for next year when this one has stopped playing.

64. TomNickle says:

Sergei will only be an effective top 6 forward for a team that finds somebody who can communicate with him and baby him to the point where he feels he can do no wrong.

Andrei Kostitsyn is a lost cause.  He is Alex Kovalev with less production.  And shows up to play less.

Those two on any other team may turn out to be quality top 6 forwards,  but not for 82 games in a season.  Not even for 50 in a season.

65. FB says:

So they can play with their best friend Grabovski

66. mrhabby says:

i doubt very much it would be a top 6 forward or a top d men …ur right we would have to sweeten the pot alot in order to make that happen…they really have no track record, no history for a value to be placed on them like that.

67. TripleX says:

Eric Engals says that Daniel Alfreddson put off surgery and played with a torn ACL last year.  Apparently you can not do more damage once it is torn as long as you can put up with the pain.

I love the skill of Markov but I kinda wonder about his pain thresh hold?  Daniel is well known for his capacity to suffer through pain.

“Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.”

68. TomNickle says:

The organization isn’t going to be able to keep Pleks, Halak and Price.

Price will be cheap, Halak and Pleks, not so much.

I’d say there will be a choice made between the two.

Hard to say which one will be kept.

69. SeriousFan09 says:

They’re still both young and someone’s always looking to make a reclamation project out of such players. There will be at least one marginal expansion team looking to add some top-6 potential and deal a pending UFA who’s not going to sign with them anyway because he’s tired of being on a team going nowhere. Don’t know what that team is, but I guess we’ll find out. AK and SK add to about 4 million in cap space, any pending free agent who might be able to score 20 goals is going to cost that likely considering the ultra-thin talent on the UFA market this summer.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

I am so gonna lose sleep over that one.

71. TripleX says:

I wish ONE reporter had the NADS to ask JM what Maxwell brings to the table that SK doesn’t.  Even if SK only plays the PK that allows Gomez and Pleks to rest a little.

72. TripleX says:

Be careful what you wish for.  I have no doubt the brothers will be effective top six forwards on a team like Toronto.

Right now if the Habs can get a bag of pucks and a few hockey sticks for those two they’d be lucky. The sooner they’re gone the better, mind you I like SK more than AK. AK is one of the worst picks the Habs ever made, given the talent available that year. AK is in a fog, has no compete level and is the epitomy of what a floater is.

74. MTLForever says:

Tonight would be a huge win. GO HABS GO

2010 version of Feels like 93

75. Mikey_39 says:

I find that such a shame.  I really like the idea of having brothers playing together.

76. mike g says:

Think about it though, Markov has only been struck with these injuries this year. It’s a fluke.

Marian Gaborik played an average of 42 games before this year. People didn’t care, teams still lined up for his services…

I’ll tell you this. If PK can blossom into the player we all think he will be, Markov’s game will improve drasticly. He won’t be forced to play the big big minutes he always plays. He will be able to play less shifts, rest more, and have better quality ice-time. Pronger and Niedermayer did this, now Scotty is lost all alone in Anaheim while Pronger found Timonen to help him out with the big minutes.

Having 2 great defenseman is a blessing. Don’t trade the most rare commodity in hockey.

77. linp says:

JM’s “system” is play not to lose. Of course Pyatt fits the bill.

78. KenD29 says:

And apparently his team mates do not want him around anymore!

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

79. Newf_Habster says:

I have admired Tom Pyatt for his performance especially in penalty-killing situations in the playoffs.

80. SeriousFan09 says:

Came back early from the tendon injury but it scares the hell out of me thinking of Cooke and Rupp lining up Markov for every hit they can manage, targeting that knee and it only gets worse if he does come back and we face Luchicken in Round 3, or the Broad Street Bullies.

81. Storm Man says:

Joe Nieuwendyk did it a few times, but it is harder for a Dmen to play with a torn ACL.

82. KenD29 says:

You mean pop 9 Tylenol’s then wash it down with some Smirnoff and get out there !

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

83. SeriousFan09 says:

Good idea, than Cooke and Rupp can target him and completely annihilate his knee and hockey career for good, fantastic move.

Mike Richards didn’t skate on his hands, you don’t have your ligaments in your knee, you can’t play hockey.

84. andrewberkshire says:

According to a Eric Engels there are players who’ve played with torn ACL’s, including Daniel Alfredsson. It all comes down to if Markov can take the pain, and doesn’t get surgery right away.

85. 24moreCups says:

Oh man I can’t wait for this game!!

I have a question, don’t know if thos has been asked already but if we beat the Pens who would you rather face in the next round? Boston or Philly?

GO HABS GOOOO!!!

86. Danno says:

Definitely Boston. For a rematch — and sweet revenge.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

87. Norcal Habsfan says:

With the way these playoffs have been going, it would be only fitting that a cup run goes through Boston. Let’s not get ahead of ourselves and jinx the whole thing.

88. Dintrox says:

For those sick of Bob Cole and Gary the snore Galley. Dick Irvin will be on HNIC tonight.

89. Dintrox says:

I got censored???? James Dickinson (D –k)  Irvin jr.?

90. SeriousFan09 says:

Difference between Dick Irvin and Bob Cole? One knew when to retire.

91. Jeff says:

Most remote controls have a ‘mute’ button, use it?

Cole disappears….

92. habsman-itoba says:

I wonder if “Angry Sal” would be able to admit this too?

I love listening to this guy!

I have to admit that the way Jacques Martin
    coached this year has been very troubling for me at times and I have
    complained on here about him not being the coach that could take us to
    the next level. I don’t understand his pairings or his utilisation of
    his bench. But then again, I am not a coach, and I certainly don’t know
    what is in his mind.

But results matter and I have watched him
    as he has tinkered with the line up from game to game. He has made
    moves that have turned a game or two in our favour, using or not using
    players in different situations.

He must be doing something
    right, winning Stanley cup playoff games don’t just happen. Yes!, I am
    looking at our coach in a different light these days.

For the
    life of me I don’t know how he thinks he is going all the way with only
    9 forwards. But you know, just maybe that’s all the forwards that he
    has with the ability to play his style of game in the NHL playoffs.

Yes I have been wrong many times before, and I was very wrong with my initial assessment of our coach.

We
    sure don’t have all the pieces that he needs in place yet, but he is
    doing a great job with what he has to work with this year.

94. linp says:

By shortening the bench, Martin is not planning a long playoff run. He tries to survive one game at a time. In the end, Gomez, Gionta, Plekanec and Cammalleri will be so tired that our team can generate any more counter attack. It is looking more and more that way already. Luckily, our PP is still functional and Cammalleri remains very productive.

95. Danno says:

Fun fact:

PK Subban and Jaroslav Halak share the same birhtday. May 13th

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

96. pic1983 says:

I agree.  Sergei hasnt pulled his weight, no two ways about that, but seeing as JM doesnt play the 4th line anymore anyways, might as well put sergei out there with his bro and metro.  Even if they see no ice time, at least if were down in a game and need a little additional offensive push, we can put them in.  I dont know how effective a player can be offensively if theyre only going to play 5 minutes, but it would still be better than darche and maxwell.

97. Mikey_39 says:

UGGGGHH!!! Why is he sitting SK? It makes no sense.  He’s going to play darche for like 4 minutes anyways, so why not just play sergei. He has WAY more offensive upside, he can play on the penalty kill, all it takes is one shift for him to make a game-changing play, he has more playoff experience than darche….I just don’t get it.  Why not play him on a fourth line with his brother since he wants to sit them both anyways.

98. boris420 says:

Apparently the players said he didn’t give a crap about the team. That being the case you could be the best player in the world and I would still want you to sit!

99. boris420 says:

posted by ed lopaz:

Francois Gagnon reported that HE HIMSELF WAS TOLD BY HABS PLAYERS IN
    THE ROOM, that Sergei absolutely does not care about the team.

Gagnon
    is a reporter who has covered NHL hockey for years.

He covers the
    Habs daily – every game home or away. He is at every practice.

Also
    does special feature “a la une” between first and second periods of
    every habs game (televised on RDS)

Gagnon was interviewed by AM
    990 from 8;00 to 8:30 this morning – here in montreal.

100. TripleX says:

ARRRRRG….this is such a dumb move and in no way logical.  Darche is NOT getting any ice time anyways and like you said SK is great on the PK and can breakout at anytime.  When he is on the ice the opposition has to respect his speed and skill set.  Darche?

Is not a line of Metro, AK and SK a possible great fourth line?

As far as ONE reporters remarks about the reputation of SK in the room.  Funny how when the rumors are about Price the journalist is a liar and a hack but when it is about anyone else it is gospel truth.  LOL

101. newbrunswick troy says:

Although i agree…i would too keep young SK in…there is no doubt that Martin has no confidence in him and further more he obvisouly believes Sergie lack of work ethic is cancerous…that said i think its the older Kos. who should sit to show the rest of team the need to go 100% all the time

Martin once heard saying “them no good son,s of Belariusians”

102. Jeff says:

Geeeez, come on guys?  Looking past the CUP CHAMPS?

Hanging perennial ‘All Star’ on Subban?

Hoping to meet Rask and the Booins?

U all need a dose of reality, geezzzzz!

I’m having an early drink, enjoy the game…..

103. pmaraw says:

like you hung perennial “all star” on Kadri?

like you think kessel is better than hall or seguin?

don’t worry, next year is the leafs year, you will truly find out what bill burke is made of.

104. saskhabfan says:

Hey jeff,how’s timmins…..opps i mean hollywood. Sorry,didn’t mean to blow your cover.

Leafstv “telling their fans they deserve to win for over 40 years”

105. Jeff says:

Sooooo then, what’s that OLE OLE OLE thing

or the NA NA NA chant?   Dumb…..

106. saskhabfan says:

better then the ACC which sounds like this all year around

Leafstv “telling their fans they deserve to win for over 40 years”

107. Jeff says:

Learn to spell in both languages.

108. Dintrox says:

One game at a time folks! go habs go

109. Dwayne33 says:

just heard that guerin is not in the lineup

110. Jeff says:

Wah wah wah!

Shutout, a fact.

Where’s ur buddy SucksaHab?

Guess you’ll see the Booins next October, ha ha ha….

111. Jocko says:

Two questions.  First, can anyone tell me what city is better to win in than Montreal?  I live in Calgary, and 2004 was pretty cool, but nothing can compare to Montreal! Period.  Second, where is SK74?  I thought he and Moore had some decent chemistry when he and Moore were put on the same line.

I don’t want to see Maurice tonight, I want to see The Rocket!

112. lavie says:

OMG, Subban and Co. look more aggressive.

113. pmaraw says:

trap vs. trap

114. abetx says:

Can anyone explain what scott Gomez has done so far in the play-offs, or fot this matterthe entire year?

115. pmaraw says:

i used to get leafsTV for free.. I would watch it just for laughs, always good for a chuckle.

116. Jeff says:

A wuss for an avatar.

Who’s irrelevant? Oh wait, a Smurf fan, that’s it!

OOH shutout by Fleury, Gionta’s a bobblehead. Super!

117. Jeff says:

Hey Tom, can u spell irrelevant?

118. showey47 says:

you are irrelevent

119. Jeff says:

Never did that!

Here u go, Kadri will place higher on the rookie list than your new saviour Subban, there I’ve said it.

Kessel IS better than Tyler or Taylor.  A fact!.

Leafs will win a CUP before your Habs.

Keep it real, please.

120. SeriousFan09 says:

- Based on what, his ability to make throat-slash gestures and playing in Junior hockey?

- With what evidence do you base that fact?

- Gotta make the playoffs first budddy.

121. pmaraw says:

funny thing to say about a perennial cellar dweller.  leafs might make it to the playoffs before 2020, but win a cup?  only in a 1 team league

122. Jeff says:

Do you read? Do you watch Hockey other than Hobbits at the Bell?

Kessel is a 22 year old with back to back plus 30 goal seasons, better than Tyler & Taylor, A FACT!

123. Fansincebirth says:

What the hell is wrong with Spatch???? What’s this virus he has?

124. Frank2468 says:

Listening to Team 990, reports are Spatch has vertigo

125. Shublips says:

It’s an inner ear problem that is causing him to have problems with him balance.

Sucks, cuz there is no clear timeline as to when something like that gets better and with Markov out, the Habs need him back asap.

126. SeriousFan09 says:

Inner ear infection is the report I understand, which is giving him vertigo at the least and if you can’t stand up there’s very little chance you can play in an NHL game.

127. boris420 says:

Like SeriousFan09 said one of the side effects are vertigo.

128. jimmy shaker says:

Happy pills with a little bit of sarcastic ones as well.  Kind of just poking fun at Bylsma, Staal and company about him skating and being day to day with his surgically repaired tendon on his foot that happened 4 days ago.  At least the habs have not ruled Marky out for the rest of the playoffs!  The gamesmanship is going full force I see.

Enjoy as well…..I feel a “Quiet storm” a comin!   “We all know, Kane is able.” And by Kane I mean Jaro and Cammy and Gomer and GIo and Giller and Georgy, well the whole team basically.

Cheers,

Shaker

129. jimmy shaker says:

Nice….enjoy tonight!

Shaker

130. Storm Man says:

Im looking forward to games 3 and 4 the buzz here in Montreal is great, Im so happy my family lives here and the bell centre should be rocking tonight, BTW I watched the program on my laptop on my flight to Montreal :)

131. I_SAY_FIGHT says:

All this negative talk about vertigo, on a positive note I really want to hear it alot tonight
    PREVIEW>
    ———–

”Playing goal is like being shot at.” – Jacques Plante

132. Say Ash says:

What happened to Guerin?

133. SeriousFan09 says:

Crosby swung a stick in the locker room after he heard they were out of his favourite gatorade flavour and caught Guerin in the ankle.

134. mike g says:

Who the heck knows, and we will never know for sure…

They wont tell us the truth, just like they did with Stall. No way that guy sliced a tendon and is skating 3 days, you won’t convince anyone about that. Unless he’s on steriods, he should be out at least 2-3 weeks. Even that is pushing it.

Just pisses me off that other teams’ players seem to recover in miraculous ways compared to ours. Sure Markov came back earlier this year, but still. It wasn’t in the playoffs when it matters most. Remember last year when Mike Richards played with 2 busted shoulders? Why can’t our players do that. Freeze the pain and play.

135. Oto-HNS says:

Hopefully AK wakes up…

136. boris420 says:

I predict 35 seconds of ice time for him before the coach notices he’s still sleeping…i think they call that hibernating or something.

137. mike g says:

Confirmed, AK has woken up…

He was at practice this morning.

138. TripleX says:

So we are supposed to choose which stories are believable or not?

There have been more than one anonymous story about Price and his reputation in the room.  Are these stories also true?

Markov getting in the face of Price after the St. Louis game was all blown out of proportion and exaggeration according to many on HIO.  I guess the validity of the rumor is dependent on the player.

139. boris420 says:

Exactly…I choose to believe this one because it’s SK and we already know how much he cares. This is the guy that got sent to hamilton and never showed up…that being one of many stories.

This one is very easy to believe.

140. Say Ash says:

I guess he’s “passionate” about gatorade

141. wd40 says:

Why is he not playing SK?  Seriously?  Because SK has been a passenger.  I’m not talking skill here, I’m talking attitude.

142. mike g says:

He’s young, selfish, and doesn’t pay the price…

Tom Payatt, a throw-in in the Gomez trade, has taken Sergei’s job away. That says enough about the “good” prospect Sergei is apparently supposed to be.

143. boris420 says:

Cause the players don’t want him on the team and neither do I.

144. Say Ash says:

As long as he’s not a -1 during those 35 seconds.

145. jimmy shaker says:

C’mon Marky it just a little ACL injury…..suck it up!  Couple of coritsone shots, a big bulky brace or two, couple of shots to freeze the knee and you’ll be back to your normal self!  C’mon buddy, if Staal comes back so can you!

Shaker

146. mike g says:

Exactly…

Mike Richards played the whole postseason last year with 2 busted shoulders…Pop 9 Tylenol’s, freeze the knee, put 6 braces, freeze it some more, and play.

147. Storm Man says:

Someone has taken his happy pills today :) Enjoy the game bud as the Habs take a place at the table.

148. SeriousFan09 says:

Because for once, just about all our guys are in top shape. There’s no miracle cure for ACL tears and I defy you to stand up when you have vertigo, let alone walk, skate or play any kind of hockey. Staal is risking his career if he is skating on a tendon that was damaged. Metropolit came back early, to bad results as well, we can only hope he is in better shape for tonight’s action.

Markov’s had bad luck, but Serge Savard’s career nearly ended over the course of a couple years where he basically had both of his legs shattered by injury. He recovered, he came back and remained a key cog in the 70s Dynasty. He wasn’t the same, but was still a fantastic blueliner. Believe in Markov’s recovery, even with some weaker skating, his stickwork can be matched by only a handful of defencemen across the NHL and he has great hockey sense.

149. mike g says:

I know I know…

It just really feels like Lady Hockey Luck is pissing on all of our faces. For once like u said our team looked great. Great goaltending, solid d, and clutch forwards. Now, 2 of our top 4 d are out, and we have giant giant holes to fill…..

And btw, were only playing the defending champs…..

150. SeriousFan09 says:

I know, a two-year injury parade is feeling pretty excessive, but I’m trying to stay positive in the face of all of it. No post-season run is perfect and the fact that Subban is a total revelation fills me with hope and Halak is channelling the spirit of our great playoff goaltenders. Fate may toy with us, but we must persevere in front of it all.

151. nightmare_49 says:

… Playoff Stuff

Penguins-Canadiens

also:
    Penguins Notebook: Stopping Canadiens’ Gionta like rolling dice
    Tuesday, May 04, 2010
    By Shelly Anderson and Bob Dvorchak, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10124/1055329-61.stm#ixzz0mzqReul4

152. Sambaguio says:

Crosby has a new name: Crybaby Crosby. Will you boo him at the Bell Centre tonight?

——————————————
    Halak is beaming right now, “Look, Gainey, I’m the REAL number 1. Your so-called ‘thoroughbred’ is sitting on the bench.”

153. Off-side says:

He likes to whine a lot — that’s for sure.  But If I was at the game I would definitely NOT boo him.  And if you are going to the game, show some manners your Mom taught you and don’t boo.  It’s just not right, and makes our city look unclassy.

Kay?

154. Say Ash says:

I’d love to hear: “Cihhhhnnn-Deeeeee! Cihhhhhnnn-Deeeeeeee!”

155. fbkj says:

not to sound like a dick or anything but thats hardly a new nickname

156. mike g says:

It’s just beyond me how the world is so intelligent, but dumb at the same time.

In an age where we can send people to the moon and solve math problems as long as the Trans-Canada highway, sports people don’t understand why fans boo players. There are 2 reasons:

1- The player is constantly not performing to his abilities, or has done something dirty to the home team.

2- The player is a superstar, and the fans want to get him off his game.

It’s not disrespectful. When you boo Crosby or Ovi, you’re basically telling them you hate them because they are great and not on our team. It’s called home ice advantage. It’s the same as screaming “Theeee-oooo” to Theodore. You are trying to get them off thier game and make them feel uncomfortable.

157. pmaraw says:

well… people have been calling him sidney crysby forever… so i think it’ll stay that way.

158. petefleet says:

Big game tonite, I get so excited.

When the Habs win the game, I’ll be so delighted.

The series is tied one game apiece,

It will be imperative to keep penguins out of the crease.

Yes the Pens have Malkin, Guerin and Sid,

But the Habs have Cammi and Halak, their own wiz kid.

It’s going to be tough to keep Pens offense at bay,

Especially now that Markov’s away.

My gut says Habs over Pens this year in six,

My head says five games if Crosby keeps breaking his sticks.

Can’t wait for the puck drop, for the game to begin,

If the Habs lose tonite it will be nothing short of a sin.

Gotta think positive, Halak will handle the task,

When the Habs get by the Pens, bring on Tukka Rask.

So let the Habs win tonite and all will be fine,

That is except for #87’s whine, whine, whine.

Go Habs Go

159. Ton says:

your right, he’s a classy guy and man would I like him in a habs jersey, may happen one day!  we don’t want to wake him up for he could blow 4 by us in a period on any given day.

160. DavidKB says:

Boo the opposing team, boo individual opposing players. Just don’t boo the national anthems, that shows a lack of class!

161. Norcal Habsfan says:

Disagree. Wholeheartedly. I’ll admit some booing in the past that I am not proud of such as Breezer. Who knew it would cause palpitations. Yes, booing ,razzing, serenading expresses our pent up visceral emotions but at the same time it distracts the opposing team and gets them off of their game.

It’s not personal it’s just business. Halak stops the pucks, Gill blocks shots,   SK sits and waits, and we chant. It’s our job. So let’s all clock in at 7 pm and chant Cin-dy, Cin-dy Cin-dy until he breaksdown with another tantrum.

162. PeterStone says:

I would like to see him in a Habs sweater more than anyone in the NHL … seriously … he’s playing with a penguin on his chest .. ???? Sid … Come to Montreal.

163. mike g says:

So I’m going to recap the past 2 hours of this site:

-Get rid of Markov, he’s injury prone. What he’s done for this team over the past 5 years is overrated.

-Subban at 20 years old has fully replaced Markov, and erased everything Markov ever is/was.

News flash to all, getting your ankle sliced in half by a skate is not a sign of your fragile body. It’s a direct relation of bad luck, nothing else. Unless Markov was at McDonald’s with some of the Habs players and it was a plastic spoon that cut his ankle tendon, then he is not fragile. An ACL injury can happen to anyone at any time. We saw it happen to Cammy, and we’ve seen how he can still play. So throwing Markov into a fragile category is rediculous. I’d love to see the look on your faces when you see what some of the Habs’ players look like if you’d have a chance to walk into their dressing room right now. They have more ice for their bumps and bruises in that room now than there is in Alaska.

And to even suggest that PK is going to be our saviour is yet another mistake on all counts. Don’t get me wrong, the kid is great and he’s a stud. He will be a perrenial All-Star in this league for over a decade if he keeps it up. But remember the last time we threw a 20 year old into the mix like this? His name was Jesus Price, and now his name is Jesus Price Get Him The Hell Out Of Montreal. Give the kids time and veterans to develop with, like Markov. Let PK become who he is, don’t force him to be it right away. Over the past 15 years we’ve thrown our top prospects into the starlight like that, only to watch them crash and burn. He will be great, were all convinced. Just let him do it at his pace, don’t tell him “well we traded Markov, so you are our guy RIGHT NOW”.

Please people, comon. You’re all intelligent.

164. SeriousFan09 says:

Having only Markov as a star defencemen in the last 5 years has really been an issue for team stability, doubling the complement of top blueliners by adding Subban full-time makes us a better team is what some people don’t seem to understand. Markov isn’t going to hold back P.K. because only one of them can start in a game like a goaltending situation, they can both play all the time and both help the team. That’s a good thing guys, you want a lot of quality defencemen on your team. Markov’s had some bad luck, but he isn’t fragile, Rick Dipietro is fragile, Daniel Briere is fragile, it’s still astounding me that Marian Gaborik managed to play mostly a full season for the Rangers… Markov has kept this team alive through some very trying times.

Remember this: Montreal’s Cups almost all came when they had multiple star defencemen on their roster. Two is better than one, especially when you’re talking puck-moving defencemen.

165. ABHabsfan says:

Another d-man from the late 60’s, 70’s who always had bad knees and a back problem, Bobby something… Is there a chance we are too hard on our players?

166. DavidKB says:

Excellent points. Ye profits who spin your “wisdom” must realize that the “saviour” will only come when it is least expected. The only thing we should expect is the best effort the players can give.

It appears that the environment in the dressing room is good, positive, and ripe with character. There may not be anyone wearing the C, but there sure seems to be some great leadership. PK will thrive in that environment. I saw him being interviewed after the last game; seems pretty cool to me.

Go Habs!

167. HalGillsNumberOneFan says:

Think about it though, Markov has missed half a season, and now the rest of the post season. His value should go down a bit because even though he is not injury prone. He still missed half a season and that should be taken into account when and if the re sign him.

PK subban is incredible and is going to be the best rookie defenceman next year. Maybe even rookie of the year. Point Finale.

168. Mikey_39 says:

Yes…now that Subban looks promising we should just get rid of markov…What possible use could we have for two amazing dmen?  Seriously, if anyone thinks that Markov should be shipped out of montreal, then they’re just idiots.

169. pmaraw says:

i love that avatar!!!  makes bob look like jackie moon!

170. Top Corner says: