Audio: Habs break up routine

AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Mike Cammalleri | Jaro Spacek | Jeff Halpern | Yannick Weber

The Canadiens decided to break up their normal routine yesterday. Instead of hitting the ice at the Bell Centre, there was a team  meeting followed by off-ice training in the gym or soccer on the adjoining indoor pitch in Brossard.

Coach Jacques Martin said he had the option of dressing Yannick Weber as a seventh defenceman tomorrow night against Toronto but he was still considering his options. One certainty is that Carey Price will start in goal for the 19th time in 20 games.

And there’s no update on injured defenceman Andrei Markov. His absence is still described as long-term but Martin said further tests are scheduled to determine the extent of the injury and a treatment plan.

Markov is reported to be heading to Cleveland next Tuesday to meet with Anthony Miniaci, his orthopedic surgeon. Fellow defenceman Jaroslav Spacek is said to be no worse for wear after face-planting into the boards late in last night’s game. He’ll play against Toronto tomorrow.

•  •  •

TSN’s James Duthie talked to Mike Richards, and P.K. Subban’s name came up:

JD: What specifically did Subban say to upset you?

MR: I’m not going to get into this again. He’s a
great player, don’t get me wrong. I never meant to start an uproar with a
minor comment. It is what it is.

JD: Is there a code for how rookies should behave?

MR: I went through the same thing. I remember my
first year we were playing against New Jersey and I was running around
and lipping off to Patrick Elias. Elias came to me and Sergei Brylin
too, and they said, “If you continue to show disrespect for players,
you are going to get hurt.” That really hit home. I didn’t want to be
known as that guy who shows disrespect. I want to be a guy who plays
hard in between the whistles but not cross the line. That was six years
ago, but it hit home. When you hear it from a guy like Patrick Elias,
who has a done a lot in this league and is well respected, you remember.

1. LA Loyalist says:

Plus… if he’s any dang good in the NHL then he’s an ASSET that can be EXCHANGED to acquire ASSETS we NEED (someone should tell the Goat Herder this fact), instead of just re-configuring the 2nd, 3rd and 4th lines every shift.

Also goalies get hurt and I don’t think it’s wise for Price play ALL the games if we hope to go as deep as date night in the playoffs and run out of gas.

Big picture. That’s the Goat Guy’s job… not that I was cc’d on his deal or anything.

“We need white boards – and not just the kind you write on with markers”

2. Danno says:

I blame it on Bettman

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

3. Danno says:

Plus he breaks his stick about half the time he does the slapper.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

4. secretdragonfly says:

Go Karri Go!!!!!

5. SeriousFan09 says:

Dude, doing the Russian club names is half the fun of these prospect updates.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

6. LA Loyalist says:

Sheesh, Serious, you get points just for typing all those Russian names.

“We need white boards – not just the kind you use magic markers on…”

7. savethepuck says:

I have been picking up a lot of computor viruses lately and it seems to always be around the time I am on this site. Is it just a coincidence or have other members noticed the same thing.

8. shiram says:

Again thank you fro bringing this information! I had almost forgot about Ramo, and am glad to see he is doing well. He could be Price’s backup next year iirc.

9. SeriousFan09 says:

Nice crystal ball, can I borrow it for the Super 7 lotto numbers?

Ramo is going to have to come back and establish himself in the NHL no matter how well he does in Russia, playing backup may be Step #1 and the Habs have his rights.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

10. Chuck says:

He had a ridiculous one last night where he wound up, paused for a few seconds, then let it go… by which time the forward was easily able to get into the lane and block the shot.

His job with the point shot should be to create scoring chances. Get the puck past the first wave of defenders and to the net so that it can be tipped or greate a rebound and secondary scoring chance. And if it goes in, bonus.

Centre Hice: weird math

11. Mikey_39 says:

I don’t think it really matters how Ramo is doing.  There’s no way he’s going to come here to be a backup.  I don’t think he’ll ever play a game in a habs uniform.

12. Dust says:

couldn’t agree more.. this guy brings an edge we need on the back end

13. J_P says:

I can manipulate statistics also, watch this:

Gomez’ average since he signed his current contract is 0.76.  In a habs uniform he’s averaging 0.67.

Plekanec is younger, is just hitting his prime and his cap hit is an Above average NHL 3rd liner less than Gomez.   Not to mention he has outscored gomez last season, and is embarassingly outscoring gomez this season.

Brieres cap hit is 6.5 million, not 7.3 million, and hes averaged 0.82 since he signed his deal with the flyers (the same year gomez signed his deal with the rangers). Not to mention he was their playoff MVP last year with 30 pts in 23 playoff games.

Koivu is averaging 0.68 since he left montreal last season, better than gomez’s 0.67, playing on the third line,and his cap hit is a mere 2.5 million (we can pretty much have koivu and pleks for the price of gomez).

So really, you’re little stat parade, proved absolutely nothing.

Listen, I have nothing against gomez other than the fact that he doesnt look engaged, and doesnt look willing to pay the price to create offense.  He does the same routine over and over again.  I wonder if he’s ever even watched a full game that he’s played.  He will never live up to his 7.3 million dollar cap hit, and I have no problem with that, but he’s currently on pace for 25 points, and isnt doing anything to help his team win.  That, to me, is whats unacceptable.  Anyways, I dont blame scott gomez.  I blame Bob Gainey for trading for Scott Gomez.

14. aemarchand11 says:

Gauthier: Sign Alexei Emelin in the Off-Season.

Not like you wont try…..

15. shootdapuck says:

It’s TSN what do you expect?

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3”

16. punkster says:

And we all know how effective codes are for this team.

17. SeriousFan09 says:

KHL Report:

D Alexei Yemelin gets a GWG in a 3-2 win for AK Bars Kazan today over Severstal Cherepovets, with his 5th goal of the season, he was +2 on the game. Cherepovet RW Maxim Trunev was a healthy scratch. (Which I think is BS, he had a point last game).

G Karri Ramo now has 9 wins in his last 10 games! Avangard Omsk won 3-2 in OT with Ramo making 25 saves, over Lokomotiv Yaroslavl.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

18. habs365 says:

Gotta gree with ya…the only code of respect richards should be talking about is the flyers….they have their own and it’s an easy one to follow….try to injure and cripple what ever team we’re playing against….that’s how you get wins.

19. shiram says:

And thats telling of our offence in that game…

Spacek isnt much of an offensice D either.

20. VancouverHab says:

Ha ha!

21. Corio says:

Ya and I think my 6 year old could of placed it better than Spaceboy did, man he has almost no offensive ability..

22. VancouverHab says:

Love the avatar: I have that SI cover framed in my basement…. (it’s great to see Matty Naslund–he’s an underrated Hab great.)

23. iHeart Les Habitants says:

I wish Auld would get his first home start this weekend.  The Leafs game would be a good opportunity to give Pricey a break.  Or in hind sight last nights game vs the Preds would have been better.

24. VancouverHab says:

Ah — thanks for facts. They are good things in an argument :–)

Let me add that Cammi is surely no better in all these areas–nor others save Pleks–but some people just go de Sadean over Scott Gomez. Me? I’m waiting for the playoffs when, you know, this stuff actually matters.

Plus, Memo to M39: can I buy the licensing rights for your unique ability to see someone’s internal states…and at at a distance too? You see, no-one else in the world can factually measure whether someone is trying or not, but you … well, you know that the player is lazy and doesn’t care, instead of just working through a slump in a sensible way — because of course when you’re in a slump skating around like Tiger Williams (who played in the NHL for three years before he touched the puck) is the best way out of it.

25. TB says:

do you honestly think it would help?  I mean this stuff happens all the time in a game – the little weasle matt cooke blindsided Marc Savard with both Chara and Lucic on boston?  if both Chara and Lucic don’t help then I don’t know who would

I think having a tough guy on your team to protect your stars is a myth – it does nothing other than take up a roster spot

26. VancouverHab says:

Good thoughts, SD….

(re. sig: does hardcoding <i> work?)

27. VancouverHab says:

Ha ha!

28. kempie says:

Yeah, til he pulled out the old “hands of stone” defenceman move.

29. TB says:

not that great of a player – he said if he had to choose between dubinsky and subban he would take dubinsky

30. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

Yes I know Gomez is sucking right now, but I’m sick of all of the Gomez bashing around here, I know the following stats don’t justify his contract but he isn’t that bad compared to other players, avg pts/game-career:

T.Plekanec 0.66

P.Marleau 0.73

D.Briere 0.79

S.Koivu 0.79

S.Gomez 0.80

V.Lecavalier 0.84

Maybe a 4th line forward. He plays up also. And D on the PP

32. shiram says:

He did have one of the better scoring chance last game though.

33. shootdapuck says:

Yappierre is not a marked man?

Better check again!

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3”

34. Hagar says:

Again with the code. Mad-Max runs his mouth all the time & he’s not a marked man. It’s because he’s a rookie, isn’t it?

35. JSP1990 says:

I’m with you bud! No more Spacekake!

36. shiram says:

Well i’m glad he recognizes Subban as a great player, and seems to want to move on that issue.

37. Mikey_39 says:

What’s even worse is that he doesn’t even seem to care about the fact that he’s not producing.  Even when Gionta wasn’t scoring, you saw him skating his ass off, shooting like crazy, trying to make something happen.  Gomez is playing so lazy.  There’s no fire.  Not scoring is forgivable, not trying though is inexcusable

38. Mattyleg says:

Duthie is the cheesiest of cheeses.

And I love how he tries to legendize that lucky goal by calling it ‘the lunge’. Like it’s going to have its own corner in the HHOF.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

39. krob1000 says:

While this is true and something Subban has to do more often (just get pucks through) all of the other guys who succeeded here with their “cannons” all had very deliberate windups too…Souray, Schneider and MAb all pointed to the sky first…Streit was a little quicker …. the key though has always been Markov….teams had to pick their poison…either you risk the 60ft one timer or leave our best and smartest  player to find someone closer to the net to shoot…that always meant there was time for the big clapper (if necessary with Markov’s passing)…and let’s also remember that it was a one timer more often than not….right now whoever is paired with Subban does not command the respect Markov did and that doesn’t get Subban the same time. We also operate more from the side where the big shooter used to be so that plays a role too….Subban is usually the only real shooting threat from his side of the rink… is not just his windup…there is more to it than that.  If people give him decent passes his windup doesn’t matter because a one timer is a one timer….but on plays where he is trying to find a lane himself, moving laterally like last night and then he gets blocked…..just get the damn thing to the net if someone is there.

40. Hagar says:

c’mon SD, no more silly projections. we’ve been through this. I promise to do my part from here-on-out 🙂

41. J_P says:

He wasnt signed as a free agent, we gave up a top D prospect to acquire him (higgins is irrelevant).

The only person dumber than Glenn Sather, who signed gomez to that ridiculous contract, is the GM who gave up a top prospect to acquire that contract! At least sather can SOMEWHAT justify signing him to that deal because Gomez had two cup rings and very good production in his New Jersey years.  How the heck do you justify trading for that contract?

This isnt even one of those “hindsight is always 20/20” type deals.  Gomez only had 70 and 58 points in 2007-2008 and 2008-2009 respectively.  How someone can think that a player who scored 128 pts in 158 games is worth a 7.3 million dollar per year cap hit for another 5 years is beyond me to understand…

By far the stupidest, cheesiest, most ridiculous and amateur interview I have ever seen – Duthie interviews Mike Richards –

43. Corio says:

Funny you say that, I noticed that lately too, by the time he winds up and releases the shot is either blocked or the goalie has lined him up and is smoking a cigar in wait for the release.. PK needs to release much quicker.

44. Mattyleg says:

Did his lip quiver as he said it?

He’s in the wrong town for a Cup!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

45. Mattyleg says:

—Hope Springs Eternal—

46. shiram says:

I raised that issue about 2 weeks ago. Those big slap shots are not gonna scare the goalies, they are just gonna see the puck coming… The coaches should definately have addressed that.

47. JSP1990 says:

So if Weber is dressed tomorrow, who sits in the press box?

48. Hobie Hansen says:

Well I guess the point i’m trying to get at is although I’ve loved every Habs victory and even wondered why fighting is allowed in hockey anymore, it still stings to see someone like Sean O’Donnell face wash Subban and throw him to the ice or watch Halpern get injured and have nobody do anything.

Last time I checked fighting was still a very common thing in the NHL and I think the above mentioned scenarios may warrant a little scrap.

49. SeriousFan09 says:

Okay to confirm a suspicion, I watched PK’s AHL highlight reel compiled by in the inexhaustible Watsatheo (Corungee on YouTube) who posts here on occasion.

Of the 12 or so goals on the reel, I counted 2 that came from big slapshots the rest? snap shots, wrist shots and some luck ones but the majority of his goal scoring in the AHL last season had nothing to do with that obscene wind-up he is taking now. I’m not sure why the team isn’t trying to get him to knock it off but I don’t see why he’s not using his wrist shot. I know I’ve harped on this a lot but someone has to tell this kid to go back to what he used to do. He’s wasting opportunities by not shooting quicker and alerting the world to his slapshot prep.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

50. HabFanSince72 says:

Another fave:

“Bring up Alex Henry so he can fight Colton Orr”.

51. SmartDog says:

He’s on pace for 25 points. Yeehaw!

Our free agency stallion has turned out to be a pony.

——- Anyone know how to italicize sigs? Used to be able too…

Hehe… “playing Nashville pussy”

53. SmartDog says:

Let’s just get that PP rolling. Please?

Unfortunately that may be a tall order.  It reminds me of that interview the other day with Ron Wilson where he said all he wants is to win a Stanley Cup. Said he doesn’t want to be mayor after that or even to try to win another one, he just wants one.  Like that’s not too much to ask.  hahahahahahahahaha

——- Anyone know how to italicize sigs? Used to be able too…

54. Mikey_39 says:

We should be blaming Scott Gomez.  We’re closing in on 20 games and this guys who’s being paid like a superstar only has 6 points?  Lucky for him we’ve been doing well and the pleks like has been scoring so nobody focuses on him.  But on nights when your top line isn’t scoring you bet your ass that people are going to notice Gomez severe lack of production.

55. Mattyleg says:

Heh heh. I like VancouverHab.

We had an off night, and it’s not surprising that we can’t really give two sheets about playing the Nashville Pussy in Mid-November.

Let’s just get that PP rolling. Please?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

56. SmartDog says:

Well… mixed feelings.  I think there is something to the idea that Price shoudl be given a break on a regular basis.  There’s this other goalie in St. Louis who was pretty much lighting the league on fire until he stank up the joint a couple of games in a row…. fatigue sure seems likely.   Same story.  Goal-tending is HUGELY intense – and you’re alone.  These guys need a break every 5-6 games at least, whether they say it or not.

And not blaming Gomez in particular but the Pleks line DID have an off night, Halpern may not have been at his best and voila!  Goose-egg.  Put up your hand if you’re suprised.   There IS a part of Gomez in here but only because almost a quarter of the way into the season he’s on pace for 25 points.  I’m sure that many think its Gionta’s fault because Gio refused to score until paired with Pleks.  (Man, it’s really mean what people do to Gomez.)

And the rest is just noise to me.

——- Anyone know how to italicize sigs? Used to be able too…

57. Lazarus_taxa says:

Well, Weber is our current top defensive prospect.

58. TB says:

tougher to play against? they shutout vancouver and philly and beat boston – all supposed powerhouse teams – we don’t need to add bodies we need to get the players there giving it their all every night – I guarantee if we do that we will be plenty hard to play against

59. habs001 says:

the last few years most hab/leaf games have been nail biters…but since we are a team that will be ranked 20th or lower in scoring the majority of our games will be close on the scoreboard.

60. dh says:

The annoying thing about that is that all of these “in the know” media types seem to think that he’s worth listening to.  I had to listen to Benoit Brun-nez going on about PK to Pierre Houde last night for every slight “rooky” mistake.

Even pointing out how PK holds his stick too high for the NHL where the play is much faster and it takesenough longer to hit the puck that the other team can always beat him.  Not possible that he’s trying to draw someone in before passing but hey…

I thought Benoit was history?  What happened with that?

61. Hobie Hansen says:

It was an honest question that could have been answered by saying that you think Picard or Weber is a better option than O’Brien…I thought maybe he could play as well as fight on occasion. And I didn’t say anything about trading our top defensive prospect either?

62. DD says:

…….and don’t forget that he has the foot speed of Harold Snepsts in his prime.

63. Lazarus_taxa says:

SOB is a guy that lacks discipline, work ethic and was traded out of Vancouver for those reasons… Why would we want someone like that on our team?  I’ve watched him chuck the puck over the glass and get stupid penalties more times than i can count.  Oh, but having fighters is the only criteria for being tough to play against….so lets trade our top offensive D prospect.

64. Hagar says:

get the pp rolling consistently, and keep up the good 5 on 5 and pk

65. Hagar says:

No wait, sorry. Washington also lost to decent teams twice. I guess we might get a fight after all.

66. DD says:

Get BGL back on a red meat diet and toss the figure skates?

67. Hobie Hansen says:

What do you recommend the Habs do to address their needs and get tougher to play against in the process?

68. DD says:

Sit tight, because I’m sure Tony’s about to tell us that the game has passed by JM, PG and BG. It’s funny how these guys only come out to play when we lose.

69. VancouverHab says:

Do I discern that we night have lost an hockey encounter this past evening?

Whining, bitching, moaning, and volumes of wonderful free advice which is worth every penny that is being paid for it.

My favourites from the many hockey Ann Landers here?

• JM is an idiot for playing this Carey Price guy last night.
    • The Pleks line had an off night so we (& that includes the pro writers) will blame …. Scott Gomez!
    • The team is cowering in growing fear right now because we will soon be playing the Big Bad Powerhouse known as …. the Toronto Maple Leafs. (Seriously! And credit to SF09 for recognising that the commenter actually meant it.)
    • And the winner is? “Sign Kevin Bieksa.” Groan.
  70. DD says:

It totally agree, Ian. The chicken $#it will hide behind either Pronger or Powe, but it wouldn’t it be great to see PK paste him?

BTW I’m glad you’re up and about Ian, and on the road to recovery.

71. Hagar says:

We’ve lost to bottom feeders 5 times & decent teams only twice after 19 games. Since bottom feeders don’t make the playoffs, our cup is pretty much guaranteed. Plan the parade.

72. Hobie Hansen says:

Oh and I’m not sure if anyone took notice of Shane O’Brien from the Nashville defense last night? He’s big, nasty and an UFA come July. Do you think the Habs could use him instead of a Picard or Weber considering we don’t have a heavyweight to stand up for our stars?

He would look even more foolish, getting slapped around by a rookie David

74. DD says:

The more I listen to Mike Richards, the more he reminds me of Bobby Clarke. Don’t get me wrong, he’s a talented hockey player and I’m glad he can suit up for Team Canada, but the attitude and the play of his Flyers is right out of the Fred Shero book of hockey.

We only hope that Mr. Integrity has the cajoles to teach that young upstart PK a lesson, all by himself. Why don’t you try and teach him some manners, Mike, all by yourself.

Yeah, I didn’t think so.