Audio: Gorges’s season is over, surgery ahead

AUDIO: Pierre Gauthier

Canadiens general manager Pierre Gauthier just announced that Josh Gorges will require an operation on his right knee, ending his season.

Gorges joins all-star defenceman Andrei Markov on the long-term injury list. Markov is recovering from his second major knee injury in less than a year.

Gorges was injured on Long Island on Dec. 26 in a game against the Islanders, then placed on injured reserve on New Year’s Eve. He had been the Canadiens’ ironman when he missed the game Dec. 28 in Washington, his streak ending at 150 matches.

Gauthier said he knew surgery seemed inevitable when Gorges’s knee locked on the ice in Long Island. There’s no word yet on where and when he’ll have his surgery, but Gorges will meet the Montreal media at the Canadiens’ practice at the Bell Centre on Friday.

1. olematelot says:

you say he’s one of your favourite players but don’t give him the credit he deserves, his lose is going to hurt, believe it. We have no one in the system to replace him

2. GrimJim says:

I don’t think that’s what Trip is saying, Dave. I think he’s saying stand pat take a chance that the team as it is can pull through and if it doesn’t, then build for the future. But don’t panic and damage the long term prospects for short-term gain. A team can be in rebuilding mode, and accept the consequences of that, without consciously losing.

3. Mattyleg says:

Only 6 days in, there hasn’t been much competition, I guess…

Thankyaverymuch. 😉

—Hope Springs Eternal—

4. Jordio-oh says:

I’m too lazy to research the many examples that could prove you wrong.

Let me know when you get back from left field.

5. TomNickle says:

I won’t have Cup aspirations until Hamrlik isn’t a big part of what we do with our defenseman.  He’s counted on far too much for this team to make a run again while that dependence is happening.

Pacioretty developing is the second biggest need for our team’s Cup aspirations running a close second to getting an elite two way defenseman, in my opinion.

A guy like Keith, Weber, Doughty.

Any trade for a guy like that which doesn’t involve Price, Plekanec or Subban is okay in my opinion because we won’t compete for a Cup without a player like that.

6. TomNickle says:

Due to the ages and play of Hamrlik and Spacek, Hamrlik especially, Subban and Picard or Weber were going to have to pick their play up anyway.  Gorges going down doesn’t change that.

Plekanec and Price have ions more value to this team than Gorges.

I personally prefer what I see of Gorges the person over both of those other players, but their losses would be felt much harder than Gorges will ever be.

7. TomNickle says:

Well I don’t think there’s a general manager in the NHL who doesn’t try to come out ahead on a deal.  Did Gorges being second on the team in time on ice having anything to do with injuries or scratches?

Anybody who makes a trade makes one because they feel they need to whether it be to get something in return for an asset they will lose for nothing if they don’t move it, need to fill a hole at a position, need to address a need for the future.  The Islanders got a second round pick from us because they’re short on talent and our building for a future, ditto for the Panthers last year with Moore.

The Kings traded for Sturm because they’re short on talented wingers and wanted more scoring depth.

The Bruins traded for Horton because they were having trouble scoring last season.

Offering what another team needs in return for something you need is the purpose for trades and the other 29 teams in the NHL have needs too.

8. Mattyleg says:

Yeah, you’re right on with that.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

9. SeriousFan09 says:

Not as big as Markov, but his role was felt day to day with the organization. He’s been hurt for maybe a month and for the first two he was doing a ton for the team.

This means more minutes on the backs of our old-timers and Picard, who himself can’t be trusted with big minutes. Weber and Subban will have to meet their scouting report potentials this season for the back end to hold up.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

10. Mattyleg says:

Yeah, I’m not big on the ‘finish badly so we get a good pick’ concept.

Smells like quitting, and I don’t like quitters.

Sorry.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

11. doug says:

Ok you make sense.  It’s true Habs have too many points accumulated and are too good to sufficiently slide to make a difference.  I guess my point is just not to make panic moves. . . I think it’s increasingly hard to contend for anything and I’m okay with that this year.  As constituted on day one of the season I was worried about the team primarily because of Price. . . now I’m worried about our lack of defensive depth and Price’s return to earth.  I think they were a much better team than I hoped but that injuries to the two guys we’ve lost are just very hard to deal with.

12. punkster says:

I can’t disagree. I look forward to seeing how the team reacts to this. Along with the tough road trip, Price playing a bit off, lack of goal scoring it will be interesting to see how they adapt. We’ve seen them show a tremendous amount of heart in the past. Will they rise to the challenge?

***Subbang!!!***

13. HUDSONHAB says:

I was refering more to his blood and guts effort, heart and leadership. Things you don’t see on the stats sheet or can expect from someone coming in a trade.

….Hab4life….

14. TomNickle says:

I could see Langenbrunner here.  I could also see Kostitsyn gone shortly.

15. doug says:

I guess I do see that we needed to get a defenseman just to field a team, and that the cost wasn’t that high.  I was simply saying we didn’t need to trade for Wies in order to sign him, which I interpreted you as suggesting.  Anyways, that’s just details.

As for the last part I assume that last part is intended to be condescending as opposed to just disagreeing.  I accept the disagreement part.

16. TomNickle says:

Robert, this isn’t going to doom the team.  It is a loss, but certainly not as big as Markov, not nearly as big as Pleks or Price would be.

He’s been playing hurt and poorly for what?  Two months.  Let’s see how the team reacts to the losing streak before calling his loss significant.

17. Mrhab24 says:

Okay, that could be the funniest post on here this year!!!

…I’m on a horse!

18. patience is a virtue says:

Excellent.  That is exactly what I have been hoping for.  Let’s see if it’s the Habs!  What do we give up to rent him?  A pick?  Maxwell and Carle?

19. patience is a virtue says:

double post – sry

20. TomNickle says:

I just don’t see a scenario other than Price going down that could put this team in the bottom ten of the NHL.  Maybe if Plekanec and Gomez both went down at the same time.  Those are pretty much the only two scenarios I can see putting the team in a high pick position.  Even then, I’m not all that excited about the high picks in this years’ draft other than a few defenseman and Couturier and Nugent-Hopkins.  I like Landeskog but not enough to get super excited about a high pick.

21. SeriousFan09 says:

Gorges was 2nd on PK and ES TOI/G until now, he’s not #5 D on the team by a long shot and hasn’t been all season. He may not require an elite replacement like say Markov but his leadership and amazing consistency in each game he plays is not really replaceable.

I don’t think a good deal can be made ATM, too many teams still looking to contend and they know MTL is the party that really needs the help. If MTL was calling me RE a defencemen I wouldn’t be in a rush to give them a fair deal.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.