Audio: Gorges’s season is over, surgery ahead

AUDIO: Pierre Gauthier

Canadiens general manager Pierre Gauthier just announced that Josh Gorges will require an operation on his right knee, ending his season.

Gorges joins all-star defenceman Andrei Markov on the long-term injury list. Markov is recovering from his second major knee injury in less than a year.

Gorges was injured on Long Island on Dec. 26 in a game against the Islanders, then placed on injured reserve on New Year’s Eve. He had been the Canadiens’ ironman when he missed the game Dec. 28 in Washington, his streak ending at 150 matches.

Gauthier said he knew surgery seemed inevitable when Gorges’s knee locked on the ice in Long Island. There’s no word yet on where and when he’ll have his surgery, but Gorges will meet the Montreal media at the Canadiens’ practice at the Bell Centre on Friday.

1. TomNickle says:

I won’t have Cup aspirations until Hamrlik isn’t a big part of what we do with our defenseman.  He’s counted on far too much for this team to make a run again while that dependence is happening.

Pacioretty developing is the second biggest need for our team’s Cup aspirations running a close second to getting an elite two way defenseman, in my opinion.

A guy like Keith, Weber, Doughty.

Any trade for a guy like that which doesn’t involve Price, Plekanec or Subban is okay in my opinion because we won’t compete for a Cup without a player like that.

2. TomNickle says:

Due to the ages and play of Hamrlik and Spacek, Hamrlik especially, Subban and Picard or Weber were going to have to pick their play up anyway.  Gorges going down doesn’t change that.

Plekanec and Price have ions more value to this team than Gorges.

I personally prefer what I see of Gorges the person over both of those other players, but their losses would be felt much harder than Gorges will ever be.

3. TomNickle says:

Well I don’t think there’s a general manager in the NHL who doesn’t try to come out ahead on a deal.  Did Gorges being second on the team in time on ice having anything to do with injuries or scratches?

Anybody who makes a trade makes one because they feel they need to whether it be to get something in return for an asset they will lose for nothing if they don’t move it, need to fill a hole at a position, need to address a need for the future.  The Islanders got a second round pick from us because they’re short on talent and our building for a future, ditto for the Panthers last year with Moore.

The Kings traded for Sturm because they’re short on talented wingers and wanted more scoring depth.

The Bruins traded for Horton because they were having trouble scoring last season.

Offering what another team needs in return for something you need is the purpose for trades and the other 29 teams in the NHL have needs too.

4. Mattyleg says:

Yeah, you’re right on with that.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

5. SeriousFan09 says:

Not as big as Markov, but his role was felt day to day with the organization. He’s been hurt for maybe a month and for the first two he was doing a ton for the team.

This means more minutes on the backs of our old-timers and Picard, who himself can’t be trusted with big minutes. Weber and Subban will have to meet their scouting report potentials this season for the back end to hold up.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

6. Mattyleg says:

Yeah, I’m not big on the ‘finish badly so we get a good pick’ concept.

Smells like quitting, and I don’t like quitters.

Sorry.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

7. doug says:

Ok you make sense.  It’s true Habs have too many points accumulated and are too good to sufficiently slide to make a difference.  I guess my point is just not to make panic moves. . . I think it’s increasingly hard to contend for anything and I’m okay with that this year.  As constituted on day one of the season I was worried about the team primarily because of Price. . . now I’m worried about our lack of defensive depth and Price’s return to earth.  I think they were a much better team than I hoped but that injuries to the two guys we’ve lost are just very hard to deal with.

8. punkster says:

I can’t disagree. I look forward to seeing how the team reacts to this. Along with the tough road trip, Price playing a bit off, lack of goal scoring it will be interesting to see how they adapt. We’ve seen them show a tremendous amount of heart in the past. Will they rise to the challenge?

***Subbang!!!***

9. HUDSONHAB says:

I was refering more to his blood and guts effort, heart and leadership. Things you don’t see on the stats sheet or can expect from someone coming in a trade.

….Hab4life….

10. TomNickle says:

I could see Langenbrunner here.  I could also see Kostitsyn gone shortly.

11. doug says:

I guess I do see that we needed to get a defenseman just to field a team, and that the cost wasn’t that high.  I was simply saying we didn’t need to trade for Wies in order to sign him, which I interpreted you as suggesting.  Anyways, that’s just details.

As for the last part I assume that last part is intended to be condescending as opposed to just disagreeing.  I accept the disagreement part.

12. TomNickle says:

Robert, this isn’t going to doom the team.  It is a loss, but certainly not as big as Markov, not nearly as big as Pleks or Price would be.

He’s been playing hurt and poorly for what?  Two months.  Let’s see how the team reacts to the losing streak before calling his loss significant.

13. Mrhab24 says:

Okay, that could be the funniest post on here this year!!!

…I’m on a horse!

14. patience is a virtue says:

Excellent.  That is exactly what I have been hoping for.  Let’s see if it’s the Habs!  What do we give up to rent him?  A pick?  Maxwell and Carle?

15. patience is a virtue says:

double post – sry

16. TomNickle says:

I just don’t see a scenario other than Price going down that could put this team in the bottom ten of the NHL.  Maybe if Plekanec and Gomez both went down at the same time.  Those are pretty much the only two scenarios I can see putting the team in a high pick position.  Even then, I’m not all that excited about the high picks in this years’ draft other than a few defenseman and Couturier and Nugent-Hopkins.  I like Landeskog but not enough to get super excited about a high pick.

17. SeriousFan09 says:

Gorges was 2nd on PK and ES TOI/G until now, he’s not #5 D on the team by a long shot and hasn’t been all season. He may not require an elite replacement like say Markov but his leadership and amazing consistency in each game he plays is not really replaceable.

I don’t think a good deal can be made ATM, too many teams still looking to contend and they know MTL is the party that really needs the help. If MTL was calling me RE a defencemen I wouldn’t be in a rush to give them a fair deal.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

18. punkster says:

OK we’re getting closer. You’re not specifically advocating they tank but you don’t agree with the word used as a verb. You believe tanking is cheating. However, and this is critical, you do want them to play their young guys and accept that they will “fall in the standings” as a result.

Is that not conciously losing (or as I might say actively tanking)? Are you in favour of them conciously losing if that’s the result of playing the youngsters?

***Subbang!!!***

19. Mattyleg says:

Doug, as much as I’d like to understand what you’re saying, I don’t.

You seem to be suggesting that we could have signed him without having traded a 2nd and 5th-round pick for him.

What you’re forgetting, however, is that we need a defenceman NOW, not in the summer.

We only traded a 2nd rounder for Wiz, as we got a 5th for Lappy (plus whatsisname).

I THINK that’s what you’re talking about.

Oh, that and “finish last so we can get a good pick”. Great thinking.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

20. SeriousFan09 says:

Gorges is from BC and we’ve just lost our 2nd-best PK player, a locker room leader and a shutdown specialist. The Habs will feel a loss that forces them to dress a mix of two rookies and a journeyman on each night.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

21. doug says:

Price is a completely different player in the last month, Tom.  He was outstanding positionally and stopping everything. . . now he’s a bit spotty at times.

I can see your point that the team might be too good to get that low as currently constituted, but I wouldn’t make a lot of trades to fix it.  They’ve really been struggling of late, notwithstanding some great SOG totals.

We’ll see, these guys do have heart so it’s hard to say.