Audio: Gorges’s season is over, surgery ahead

AUDIO: Pierre Gauthier

Canadiens general manager Pierre Gauthier just announced that Josh Gorges will require an operation on his right knee, ending his season.

Gorges joins all-star defenceman Andrei Markov on the long-term injury list. Markov is recovering from his second major knee injury in less than a year.

Gorges was injured on Long Island on Dec. 26 in a game against the Islanders, then placed on injured reserve on New Year’s Eve. He had been the Canadiens’ ironman when he missed the game Dec. 28 in Washington, his streak ending at 150 matches.

Gauthier said he knew surgery seemed inevitable when Gorges’s knee locked on the ice in Long Island. There’s no word yet on where and when he’ll have his surgery, but Gorges will meet the Montreal media at the Canadiens’ practice at the Bell Centre on Friday.

1. punkster says:

OK we’re getting closer. You’re not specifically advocating they tank but you don’t agree with the word used as a verb. You believe tanking is cheating. However, and this is critical, you do want them to play their young guys and accept that they will “fall in the standings” as a result.

Is that not conciously losing (or as I might say actively tanking)? Are you in favour of them conciously losing if that’s the result of playing the youngsters?

2. Mattyleg says:

Doug, as much as I’d like to understand what you’re saying, I don’t.

You seem to be suggesting that we could have signed him without having traded a 2nd and 5th-round pick for him.

What you’re forgetting, however, is that we need a defenceman NOW, not in the summer.

We only traded a 2nd rounder for Wiz, as we got a 5th for Lappy (plus whatsisname).

I THINK that’s what you’re talking about.

Oh, that and “finish last so we can get a good pick”. Great thinking.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

3. SeriousFan09 says:

Gorges is from BC and we’ve just lost our 2nd-best PK player, a locker room leader and a shutdown specialist. The Habs will feel a loss that forces them to dress a mix of two rookies and a journeyman on each night.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

4. doug says:

Price is a completely different player in the last month, Tom.  He was outstanding positionally and stopping everything. . . now he’s a bit spotty at times.

I can see your point that the team might be too good to get that low as currently constituted, but I wouldn’t make a lot of trades to fix it.  They’ve really been struggling of late, notwithstanding some great SOG totals.

We’ll see, these guys do have heart so it’s hard to say.

5. TomNickle says:

I don’t disagree.  But it being a sellers market is advantageous for the Habs, not the other way around.  Gorges doesn’t require an elite replacement.  The only way this hurts is that Hamrlik will be counted on even more than he was being counted on already.

If the right trade is there, the team will make it.  I don’t see them pursuing a big name defenseman for the sake of filling a #5 hole.

6. Mattyleg says:

…blocked shots, hits, PK percentage, TOI…

Those are not intangibles.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

7. punkster says:

? Come on Tony, not even you are that thick.

8. doug says:

Why do we have to have him play in order to sign him in the off-season as a UFA?  He’s not top flight talent – we could have signed him with or without this trade, or signed someone else of similar caliber.

9. TomNickle says:

Jim Rutherford is an old school guy who never makes moves like that.  Or at least hasn’t that I can remember.

10. Mattyleg says:

I’m not even going to consider the first part of what you said, but Wiz is not a rental if he signs with us next year.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

11. Bill J says:

Gorges is out for the season….

And you think this is the best news of the day ?

You do realize MAB is Lightning property now … right ?

And that MAB is pretty much the polar opposite of Gorges ?

12. TripleX says:

I view “tank” as noun more than a verb if I acknowledge the word at all.

I do not advocate actively pursuing to ice the worst team possible in order to garner a lottery pick.  If by making logical and long term management decisions the team has a few bad seasons, that is sound management not “tanking”.  Sometimes like people, teams have to hit bottom before recovering to past heights of success.

To purposely “tank” is a cheat and not what the Montreal Canadiens would ever do.  Playing our young players will give them experience and allow management to properly assess what they have moving forward.  It is reasonable to assume a fall in the standings might occur this is to be expected.  You might call that actively “tanking”, obviously I beg to differ.

“I don’t like to keep kids like that out of the lineup. They need to play; that’s how they’re going to get better.” Jacques Martin

13. TomNickle says:

Gorges isn’t going to go home to Saskatchewan and sulk for the next three months.  He’ll be around the team for support.  Shot blocking isn’t exactly a science, anybody willing can step in and do that job.

Gorges is probably in my top three favourite players on this roster, but he isn’t irreplaceable and like I said, there won’t be a dramatic rise or fall in the standings with his absence.

14. Psycho29 says:

Look it’s Mr.Freeze!  🙂

15. observer says:

May become Gauthier’s greatest acquisition?

16. SeriousFan09 says:

The problem is Tom 29 NHL GMs know what MTL needs badly and has a foot on PG’s neck when it comes to getting a deal done. It is a seller’s market for defencemen as far as MTL is concerned right now and the Canadiens can’t let themselves get taken just to make a run at this year’s playoffs but avoid contending in future years because they gave up prospects or good picks.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

17. showey47 says:

If i’m carolina and want to put the screws to the team 3 points ahead of me who i’m trying to catch and it will only cost me about $200,000? I would do it.

18. TomNickle says:

A top 10 pick is wishful thinking(if you support the tanking deal).  I say it’s wishful thinking due to Carey Price and the defensive abilities of our forwards(well, all but Cammalleri).

This team is 10 game over .500 team as is in my mind.

If Price gets hurt(knock on wood).  Then you can count on that top 10 pick.

19. HUDSONHAB says:

20. HUDSONHAB says:

Are Web and Suby going to provide the heart and blocked shots that Georges did.

21. CanadienBoy says:

Toronto ? hope not

22. observer says:

Fans pay hundreds per seat and you want them to try to lose? What if they’re playing another team in the same position and mindset? Both teams keep shooting the puck into their own nets?

23. doug says:

I blame no one for the impending failure due to the D injuries, and am not going to second guess wisdom of moving insurance like O’Byrne, etc.  I do think we should avoid further trades and see where we end up.  We’ve played very poorly for the last month and adding someone isn’t going to make us a contender.  I’d rather take our medicine and pick it up again next year with a reasonable draft pick.  It could easily be top 10.  I think the Wiesnewski trade was also not worth it for a rental.

24. johnny boy says:

Thank god we picked up Brett Festerling… (sarcasm)

25. TomNickle says:

If Carle got claimed I would be SHOCKED

26. HUDSONHAB says:

I just heard the news on TSN. There are intangibles that Georges provided that cannot be replaced.

Here we go, let’s hope Web, Suby and the Wiz can replace Markov, Georges and the Hamr.

27. showey47 says:

I think carle is subject to recallable waivers. We risk losing another dman if we do call him up.

28. jimmy shaker says:

MAB, MAB, MAB….yes, yes, yes.  C’mon PG throw your 5th rounder at Stevie Wonder and get him to habville, stat!!!!

29. observer says:

This is their 8th year here. They won exactly one series after the 1st round in all those years.

Ruined no, but certainly not a good job.

30. TomNickle says:

I would bet he’s coming to Montreal or going to Toronto.

31. CanadienBoy says:

Time for PK and Weber to shine

32. Psycho29 says:

Yeah…..With MAB in their lineup last night Tampa would have lost 11-2 instead of 8-1

33. Mattyleg says:

Right on. MAB would definitely have filled JG’s shutdown PK shoes.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

34. Hobie Hansen says:

LOL…I can’t believe I’m actually saying this, I’d let MAB suit up for the Habs right about now. LOL. With what we’ve got in our system on defense that’s ready to play…if Bergereon was still available I’s actually sign him. I might rather see Henry before MAB but it’s close.

35. patience is a virtue says:

Agreed.  Hammer will be back soon.  So, Picard or Weber can take turns in the press box.  It will good for them to fight for the 6th spot.  We still have five proven Dmen, even if the Old Czechs are getting a little creeky.  They are both +2, playing top minutes against the best in the league.

Silver lining?  If Subban and Weber really step it up, this, plus The Wiz, will make our backline a lot more offensively geared than it has been in some time.

Note: If you listened to the audio on Martin today his phrasing hinted that The Wiz was actually a replacement for Gorges = they new this was coming and acted.

36. CanadienBoy says:

Langenbrunner not playing tonight after being ask to lift is no trade ? may be they want Gomez back

37. jimmy shaker says:

They still can and will get him…….this is awesome.  And to think I almost handed over my MAB fan club presidency to Hector Bolton down in Tampa……phew, that was close.  C’mon MAB #47 is ready to rock.

Best news of the day!

38. Mattyleg says:

I think this is a perfect time to panic.

(puts down pen, pushes out chair, stands up, clears throat, removes shirt, removes pants, folds them neatly, walks to front door, opens it, runs into the street screaming and waving arms, runs over horizon towards sunset)

—Hope Springs Eternal—

39. TomNickle says:

The season was never on Gorges’ shoulders.  His injury hurts but shouldn’t result in a dramatic rise or fall in the standings.

40. observer says:

Unbelievable! Gauthier has no choice now – a major shake-up trade or this season is over.

41. Psycho29 says:

You guys with your “Let’s Tank” attitude make me laugh.

This site would implode if we go on a 42 game losing streak.

42. showey47 says:

still has another year left,i think.

43. WindsorHab-10 says:

Does Francis Bouillion come to mind. Completely disagree with you.

See… they should have gotten MAB when they had a chance. The lack of foresight from the management is incredible.

45. Mattyleg says:

Right on, RJ, they ruined it right to the Conference Finals last year, and top of the division until injuries to key players caught up to us.

Keep on ruining!! They’ll ruin us right to the cup!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

46. punkster says:

So when I quote you here you’re not advocating they tank?: “With luck we find some gems and a lottery pick at the end of the
    season.  Why let Edmonton be the only Canadian team to get some star
    players?” I just want to be clear on this TX. Yes or no?

47. Hobie Hansen says:

Wisniewski, Subban, Hamerlik, Spacek, Gill, Webber… unless
    Subban and Webber all of a sudden show they’re ready for major primetime, the
    Habs must make a move or miss the playoffs.

I mean anything is possible but I’ve seen this script
    before. Wisniewski just arrives and everything is pinned on his shoulders, the Habs
    are scrambling around in their own end, the fans get restless and the team
    panics…season over. It’s like a bad dream.

We’ll see what happens though. I don’t advise making some ridicules
    move as a band-aid solution to the Gorges problem. If we miss the playoffs we
    miss the playoffs. Kinda sucks not watching Habs playoff hockey though.

If Gauthier can make some sweet deal for a tough top six
    forward and a steady defenseman without completely damaging the future of this
    team than he should go for it. If he is just trying to fill a hole and has to
    give up too much than he should pass and let the season ride out.

48. WindsorHab-10 says:

Tough pill to swallow without Markov & Gorges.

49. Mattyleg says:

You’ve certainly got to have some nuts to make a comment like that.

Show me the short-lived d-men you mean, and I’ll show you ‘tall’ defenders with equally short careers.

What a boneheaded comment.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

50. D Alcorn says:

What about Souray – it would cost $$ only / no prospect(s), roster asset(s) or draft pick(s)  –  ?

His contract ends same time as Hamrlik’s, no ?

ALWAYS Habs –
    D Mex

51. Mattyleg says:

Well that’s just fan-fyckin’-tastic.

Our best and most reliable d-man out.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

52. Habnofear says:

Like I said before smallish Dmen get injured  lots and have shorter careers….Can’t remember Gill ever geting injured in his career unless from a blocked shot.

53. savethepuck says:

I think the Wiz trade was partially to address the Gorges issue.  This was probably expected but not made official until his knee was further evaluated.  I agree not to panic until we have had a chance to assess our D as a hole, which I think they have been doing for the last 1 1/2 to 2 weeks.

54. TomNickle says:

It depends on the player and expected return Robert.  We have very few left handed defensemen and left wingers in the system but if the plan is to keep Kostitsyn, Pouliot and Pacioretty long term we don’t really have a need there.  That fact is magnified by the number of centremen in the system who could move to the wing.

As for defensemen we have in the system.  Tinordi, Festerling and Nash are really the only left handers we have who are expected to or have a realistic shot at playing for the Habs.  Alexei Yemelin could make the position less of a priority going forward but if nothing changes we’re going to have to add to that position via trade or free agency anyway considering Gorges is the only long term option we have who is NHL caliber today.

Dealing from a position of strength is always a good idea and moving a centreman or two for an NHL defenseman wouldn’t be a bad idea at this point.

Maxwell, Desharnais, Dumont and Fortier are all unfortunately players that very likely won’t be needed and a package involving a couple of those four could land the team a defenseman who could play in a limited if not significant role soon or immediately.

55. TripleX says:

You are probably right on that one.  Stuck between a rock and a hard place once again.  To be in the middle of the pack in the current NHL is purgatory.

56. TripleX says:

I am advocating a long term approach to building this franchise.  Trading away draft picks for a short term band aid in hopes of playoff dollars, is imprudent.

Do you think this team as constructed and especially with the current injuries is a contender?  Tanking like racism, is a misused and inflammatory word, whose main purpose is to end any further discussion on a topic.

I advocate a sober and reasonable long term view of this franchise, that will best result in a real Cup contender at some future time.

57. habbyone says:

Tough blow to an already fragile team. We could loose a lot of our forwards and never really notice but Georges will be missed big time.

58. Eskimosa says:

the weakest links on the d-corp so far this season have been spacek, hammer and gorges (obvs cause he was playing hurt and now its costing him his season)but this is good, now we get to see what gauthier is made out of, hopefully some aggresive d men who like nailing bodies to the back boards ^_^

59. TorontoHabsFan says:

As predictable as grey slush in January…

60. HabFanSince72 says:

Too many  points in the bank for a lottery pick.

Best we can hope for is a 6th or 7th.

61. RJ says:

We’ll give up on those prospects too. How many players have been shipped out of here in the past three years? Gainey and now Gauthier have ruined this team.

“My face is my mask,” Gump Worsley

62. SeriousFan09 says:

Saying this right now:

I do not want to see a trade to address
    the Gorges injury, the team does not have the luxury of dealing more
    futures to put a band-aid on a season where True Contender status was
    eliminated the second Markov’s knee went. Give Mathieu Carle a look from
    HAM, maybe pick a 7-8th D off of waivers but this team is honestly
    better off potentially missing the playoffs than giving up more
    picks/prospects to try and patch giant holes in their D-core.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

63. savethepuck says:

First our best DMan and now our best defensive DMan.  People are really going to have to step up their game. The next month before the trade deadline will definitely be used to evaluate what we need to do about our defence.  Makes it less likely our top priority will be a proven top 6 forward.

64. punkster says:

So you’re advocating that they tank, is that correct?

65. TripleX says:

Please PG no panic moves.  This was a bubble team with Markov and Gorges.

Let the kids play and find out what we have.  With luck we find some gems and a lottery pick at the end of the season.  Why let Edmonton be the only Canadian team to get some star players?

66. Duracell3 says:

While I’d rather have Gorges than Picard, I’m not that worried. Very glad we have him and that Hammer is hopefully getting a bit of a rest right now.

67. MTLForever says:

Gorges was our guy for the penalty kill and just overall one of the best dmen we have. This is a huge blow to our team just like losing Markov was.

Dear PK Subban, here you go bro. You have the skills.

68. mike g says:

Great…season officially over. Going nowhere with our current d-corps. Thanks alot 2011, starting off well….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

69. psyko514 says:

Oh man.  This blows.

70. Led says:

To our Steady Eddie, our unsung hero, our iron man: hope you have a full and speedy recovery, we’ll miss you and your heart.

71. avatar_58 says:

Is that supposed to make it better or worse?

72. likehoy says:

– Gomez is holding down the suck button

73. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Gorges and Markov out for the year.

Our D is Gill, Spacek, Subban, Weber, Picard, Wisniewski.

74. RJ says:

This is DISASTEROUS news, both for the team and Josh, A great player and a great person.

“My face is my mask,” Gump Worsley