Audio: ‘Good chance’ Mara plays tonight

AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Travis Moen | James Wisniewski | Max Pacioretty | Oilers coach Tom Renney | Oilers captain Shawn Horcoff | Oilers’ Jean-François Jacques

EDMONTON – There’s a “good chance,” in the words of Canadiens coach Jacques Martin, that newly reacquired defenceman Paul Mara will play tonight vs the Oilers – assuming he arrives in time.

Mara, acquired from the Anaheim Ducks in the wee hours of this morning for a 2012 fifth-round draft choice, is expected in Edmonton late this afternoon. If he’s not ready to play, expect to see Brendon Nash on the blue line.

Other news from morning skate at Rexall Place:

• Michael Cammalleri and Hal Gill both skated with their teammates, but neither will play tonight. Martin said he hopes both will practice with the club, presumably tomorrow at the Saddledome in Calgary, before they’re ready to play. The coach said he hopes that’s “soon.”

• Carey Price starts in goal tonight for the Canadiens, facing Edmonton’s Nikolai Khabibulin. The Oilers haven’t won twice in a row since December and figure to be a perhaps dangerous stick in the Canadiens’ spokes as they play out their season as spoilers.

• Tom Pyatt is a healthy scratch. Lars Eller returns to the lineup.

1. drivefor25 says:

It’s on the full CBC Network – 9 p.m. Eastern, 6 o’clock here in BC. Go Habs Go!

Fan since ’71

2. t1tan5 says:

After 2008-2009, BG decided to completely purge the roster due to the shameful Boston series. Koivu, being the heart and soul of the team, could not have stayed on as the sole survivor of said purge. He was a great player for the team and for our community, but under BG’s plans, it was just impossible for him to stay. How can you be the captain of the team when you don’t even know any of the other team leaders? It would have put Saku in a very awkward position since he would be captain but would have little to no leverage in the lockerroom. In addition, who knows if Gionta or Cammy would have even signed if Saku was our #1 centre (remember that Plek was coming off a horrible season and was the clear #2 in July 2009)?

3. wd40 says:

thought he played a solid game the other night.  imagine the jitters!

4. Maksimir says:

Said it previously – sayin it again – feel sorry for Nash if he doesn’t get to play. I wanted to see how he handles himself in the Show…

5. LA Loyalist says:

Youpi runs everything behind the scenes.

6. Bugs says:

You KNOWS it!

Word to the big bird, baby.

7. punkster says:

Hmm…this one’s gonna take some getting used to but still, it’s all Bugs, all the time.

***Subbang!!!***

8. habs001 says:

we are tied for 8th in the nhl…the players have to be given a lot of credit for this…it is pretty amazing if you think about it as we are ranked 24th in goals scored per game and only 4 teams have fewer road points…pk is 6th and while the pp is 9th it really has been a hot and cold pp(i may be wrong but it does not seem we have won many games because strickly of the pp…goals against we are 6th…

9. Gormdog says:

Saw this reply and thought to myself:

“Isn’t that the exact same answer that Bug- Ah, I see”

That being said, I had a soft spot for the No Bugs Avatar…

ME: “Sorry, this is a no Bugs club”

YOU: “But you let Bugs Bunny in!”

ME: “Yes, this is the no BugS club. We’re allowed to have one”

10. hab_skill says:

I think he’ll go to Vancouver. They have 0 luck with their entire defence being injured.

11. fbkj says:

still funny that perezhogin of all people ended his career

maybe funny isnt the right word but my point stands

12. Storm Man says:

Oh for sure Dreger is Burke’s right hand.

13. SeriousFan09 says:

I’ll tell you what two of them have in common, they’re out under the Tortorella regime and Del Zotto got exiled to the AHL for a spell because Tortorella didn’t like his play.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

14. habstrinifan says:

I think their intent is good..getting an offensive D Man. But if the person they have to give up is Blake Wheeler, I think they are weakening themselves.

15. TomNickle says:

What are you talking about?  Nobody has ever been expected to play defense under Tortorella, why would he start demanding it now?

16. TomNickle says:

The list he submitted last season was essentially every team in playoff contention in the Eastern Conference.  I highly doubt it’s limited to one team this year.

I bet he would play for Phili, Boston, Montreal, Washington, Pittsburgh, New York, New Jersey and Buffalo.

17. mrhabby says:

lol…just having some fun.

18. Storm Man says:

How many Bordens do you want to place on that one?

19. TomNickle says:

They were sellers anyway.  They don’t have the group on defense to get into the playoffs.  They know it and everybody in the West knows it too.  They’ve been shopping Mason for crying out loud.

20. Bugs says:

Get the hell on! We got TWO Timos in da house?

Manny, you a closet Flamer too? Omg, I can’t beli…

Actually, it DOES explain a lot, doesn’t it?

21. CanadienBoy says:

Fox sport got a full write on a emerging young defence man, play 17 games so far avr. 16 min a game and is name McDonagh ,hope we keep Weber

22. SeriousFan09 says:

Sather is a flipping moron when it comes to signing a free agent but he’s usually a lot better at trades than what you’re suggesting. Kreider’s a good offensive prospect for the Rangers, possibly the best they have off of the Rangers team, sending him for a rental is what I think should be considered a shooting offence in the NHL.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

23. patience is a virtue says:

finger nail removal and cigarette burns are my mental recalibration methods of choice bugsy.

oh, and for you, it’s elmer fudd hair tonic and a visit to my barber’s chair ;)

24. ManApart says:

Not the time now. Next year he’ll get a chance to show what he’s got.

25. ManApart says:

They both suck defensively, I assume.

26. LA Loyalist says:

Did you not get the memo? Today’s topic is beards (inspired by Mara)

That said: hilarious.

27. Fab Gilly says:

Who‘s next, Janne Niinimaa

New Kid on the Habs commentary block, fun , entertaining, check it out, more to come soon.

28. SeriousFan09 says:

Considering we’re short Markov and Gorges and still contending than I’d say the team is on the right track. I called a 100-point season with the D-corps healthy this year, we’re still not far from that with what’s happened to the lineup.

Habs weren’t making the playoffs for a while, now we are and we have good young players of the type we haven’t seen in a long time in Price, Pacioretty and Subban. Youth is building up the team and it will make them a lot better going forward as more prospects graduate.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

29. shiram says:

I got nothing on Gomez, thats a move he seems to make all too often.

Ak46, man I wish this guy could play as he did at the start of the season, I think he needs another chat with JM.

Moen’s not a sniper or anything like that, and expecting anything other than 4th line production from him is ridiculous. His main focus on the game is not scoring goals.

Price is almost always awesome.

Pk is great and with the lack of D, he definately fills in the offencive side. Maybe a bit high on the prediction though.

If Jm does leave all the coaching stuff to Muller, I say keep on doing so as it’s working. But I doubt that is the case.

30. Bill H says:

This is from Spector’s Fox column.  Its a couple of weeks old, but I didn’t see it until just now.  I suppose the results are not that surprising, but I guess I was hoping passionate fans, a full rink, history and tradition would count for something.

The Detroit Red Wings ranked as the team players would most like to play for, followed by the Vancouver Canucks, defending Stanley Cup champion Chicago Blackhawks and the New York Rangers. The inclusion of the Tampa Bay Lightning came as a bit of a surprise, but that’s likely due to the presence of well-respected Steve Yzerman as general manager, along with superstars Steven Stamkos and Martin St. Louis…

The players voted the New York Islanders, Edmonton Oilers, Buffalo Sabres, Atlanta Thrashers, Toronto Maple Leafs and Montreal Canadiens as the clubs they would least like to play for.

Given how many years the Islanders and Thrashers have been among the league’s sad-sack franchises, and their respective uncertain futures in their current locations, it’s not surprising those topped that list. The Oilers’ location as the league’s northernmost franchise and their inability to make the playoffs the past four years are likely the main reasons they’re in that category.

The Maple Leafs’ continued futility in making the playoffs post-lockout is also a factor in why many players would prefer not to play in Toronto, but the biggest reason is the pressure players would feel in that city to meet the often unrealistic expectations of their hockey-mad followers.

Fan pressure, high provincial taxes and the need to speak French are believed to be among the reasons the Canadiens are on that list

31. patience is a virtue says:

We need to recalibrate our mentality about the upcoming game in Van: at least we still have 4 dmen playing high quality nhl hockey (hammer, subban, wiz and weber).  Van’s blueline is a total shambles.

Hope we can take advantage and Price can win one in front of family and friends!

32. avatar_58 says:

I bet it’s veritgo again

33. RGM says:

You know you’ve made it when Fox Sports writes an article about you.

34. JD_ says:

My guess is it’s the perpetual, often very heavy-handed, and once in a while beyond-the-pale (ref. Koivu/eye/hospital/mouthbreathin’-shit-for-brains) scrutiny in Montreal. Not everyone’s cut out to handle it.

The notion the athletes are so well compensated that they should be prepared to suck it up disregards the reality that, after a few years of rakin’ it in, the income becomes part of the background, but the incessant clatter never does. It’s always there and it’s never goin’ away.

It’s the WhoNeedsThisShit™ effect, somethin’ which becomes particularly acute as the player’s children get older and become more aware.

With that in mind, I can’t take any of it personally and am really only interested in seein’ guys in a Habs uni who truly get the whole Montreal scene and want to be a part of it. There are plenty of impact players who’d play here if they could and it often comes through when they speak: Ovie would have given his left tester to be here and Chara’s a deeply closeted Habs fan.

I believe it’s pretty much the same case in T.O., except that the neverendin’ cycle of abject failure and hopelessness, and the seemingly endless 3am phone calls from a drunken and maudlin Brian Burkie, wonderin’ how it all just went so wrong, are just pure bonuses.

And, for the record, there is a vast difference between tax avoidance and tax evasion. The notion one can safely close that gap without puttin’ oneself at peril is an urban myth.

35. Bugs says:

What’s BOTH of your points?

36. Brocas Brain says:

What’s your point coach?

37. Storm Man says:

Nash will get more playing time with the Bulldogs and will be better for it come next year’s camp.

” I don’t need any stats” manApart 02/17/2011 14:50.

38. habs365 says:

That’s why Montreal is gonna be waiting a long time for a stanley cup..the problem being..they don’t improve the team enough to win a cup..just to make the playoffs..and if anyone don’t see that..I don’t know what to say..once a proud francise is now mediocre.

39. SeriousFan09 says:

Nash will get his chance but the last stretch isn’t the time to try and break in a 3rd rookie, especially one lacking the pro experience Weber and Subban have. Nash has shown promise in the AHL and had a good premiere game but he’s also a player who hasn’t played 50+, or even 40+ games in a season since Junior A in 2006. He needs more time to adjust to the pro game and schedule while he bulks up.

Next year he’ll get a very good luck at camp and he could make the team then, or maybe mid-season.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

40. Say Ash says:

Is Mara fully bearded right now? It’d be good protection for the outdoor game. Either way, I’m confident he could grow a “Gandalf” in the next two days.

41. avatar_58 says:

Then cammy doesn’t play the heritage. Sorry. I want to see him win that game versus his former club but not at the expense of his health.

42. shiram says:

There is no need to speak french, but it is a plus for any player coming over here. You could put in media/fan pressure in there instead of that, and it would make more sense to me.

Anyways, we need Cammy to keep spreading the word, about how great it is to play here.

43. joeybarrie says:

SO IS VINCENT LACAVALIER…. Whats your point?

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

44. Brocas Brain says:

I hope people don’t expect the world out of Mara, remember he is a career -112 (-16 in 40 w/ the habs last year)

On the bright side…at least when a guy runs Price, Mara will most likely punch him in the head.

45. G-Man says:

1. Montreal is for players that can stand the heat. 2. Taxes are nothing a good accountant can’t get rid of so that’ss bs.

3. Complete fallacy.

The reason is that players want the bucks while disappearing into nobodies on a city street in the town they play for. The only adulation they want is the big bank accounts.

46. Danno says:

What’s wrong with Spacek and how long is he going to be off?

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

47. G-Man says:

There are plenty of wealthy Quebecers who either pay nothing or next to nothing in taxes. Municipal and school exempted, unless you do like Gionta and live in NY state.

48. dh says:

1. Montreal is for players that can stand the heat.

Personally I think that this is overblown.  Fan pressure is something players get paid for.  If it’s media pressure I think that’s more a case of Michel Bergeron et al justifying his comfy job than anything.  As someone pointed out, most of the players don’t have to deal with it at all and the ones that do only see the media 30 minutes a day or so.

2. Taxes are nothing a good accountant can’t get rid of so that’ss bs.

I’m not so sure about that.  We’re probably the most taxed people in North America.  Accountants can only help so much but I guess with millionaires it could be different.

3. Complete fallacy.

Agreed.  If anything, attempting to speak a little french is probably a bonus.  I think this is also on guys like Michel Bergeron, who was just trumpeting how the best thing about Pouliot is that he’s quebecois.  Tremblay had to correct him.

49. shiram says:

Any religion can…

50. joeybarrie says:

Do you really believe that someone can simply make taxes disappear????

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

51. lenny says:

Some predictions for tonight

Gomez will speed into the oppositions zone, make a no look pass by the blue line for a turnover, then take a bad penalty

AK46 will float around looking totally disinterested

Moen will have a couple of scoring chances, but won’t be able to deliver on any as he as no scoring touch

Price will keep them in the game

PK gets a powerplay goal and 2 assits

Plecks proves that good guys finish first and despite signing a great contract did not disappear

JM will not change is facial expression once during the game and leave all the coaching/motivating etc. to Muller

52. shiram says:

I think I read it was an upper body injury, but not much else has been leaked about his injury.

53. Just A Guy says:

I think it was Ian that said he had a broken ankle, but there was no reference, but we have the inference of him not making the trip out west so thats likely a bad sign.

“Tell him he’s Wayne Gretzky.” – Oilers coach Ted Green, after Shaun Van Allen suffered a concussion and couldn’t remember who he was.

54. shiram says:

We are in 6th place right now, rightfully figthing for first in our division. I’l agree the team has hit a rough spot, but if not for so many key injuries you have to figure we could definately be first in our division right now, and you have to admire what has been achieved which such a depleted lineup.

We’re not mediocre… Atlanta and Colorado are definately mediocre teams.

55. habstrinifan says:

I am sure I read where get got whacked on the ankle with a puck in Boston game and ‘cant skate’. Sounds serious.

56. Bugs says:

Punctured metacarpial phalangitis.

Week’n'a’half.

57. blu3chip says:

Do you know for a fact that JM doesnt show any facial expression/emotion through games, or you just heard/read it somewhere and assumed it is the fact?

58. Rugger says:

Boston Radio station reporting Kaberle to Boston but so far no one else is confiming.  Hope so, the B’s need to add more softness to their D.

59. Danno says:

I wonder if he was hurt during the fight he had with Boston’s John Boychuck.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

60. Kooch7800 says:

Upper body injury after lifting too many Big Mac’s

61. LA Loyalist says:

Here are Kaberle’s stats, playing on a crap team with little firepower up front while he’s been there.

GP – 820

Goals – 80

Assists – 402

Points – 482

PIM – 220

I’m no particular fan of his, but he will absolutely make Boston better. Explain to us how that is a good thing.

[edit]

62. patience is a virtue says:

oh, and for you, it’s elmer fudd hair tonic and a visit to my barber’s chair ;)

two times, no less!

63. SeriousFan09 says:

Ever read Jay Bouwmeester’s stats in Florida? The guy had some great seasons on a non-playoff team as well in FLA but he’s been a serious disappointment in the points department since reporting to Calgary, hell Jordan Leopold who was dealt for his negotiation rights in the summer of 2009 has him beat at about 3-1 in GF (and Leopold’s been on 3 different teams since then) while earning less than half the scratch in the last two years.

Kaberle has given the best of his career to Toronto in all likelihood IMO, no one has really gone on to excel since being traded out of TOR in the last few years either. Either a case of players leaving their hearts in TO or just never being highly competitive players, it’s hung a big warning sign on their roster players of ‘you might be buying a lemon’.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

64. Bugs says:

Which both? Joey and Brocie or Mara and V4?

65. AH says:

One thing I do like about the Mara deal is that when he did play for us, I distinctly remember him never being hesitant to drop the gloves! That bodes well for Price’s protection.

GO HABS GO!!!!

66. Rugger says:

Up till last year, the Leafs had been a top 10 scoring team.  I just do not see him fitting in with the B’s style of play, they already have Chara to take the PP point shots, plus we do not know what is going back if it is a real deal.

67. G-Man says:

Be a little rational, will you? The Habs are where they are in the standings with all the injuries due to JM’s system. Not Muller’s system… not Goatier’s system.

You are not in the Habs dressing room between periods so how the f!ck do you know how he adjusts or coaches. Or do you assume all this because RDS has a camera on him throughout the game and they swing to it AFTER THE ACTION IS OVER.

68. Bugs says:

Let’s be clear on one thing here before everyone starts nodding emphatically: by “recalibrate the mentality”, Patty is saying “drastic Pavlovian brainwashing,” bicycle spoke, electric prongs and a pool of water type of deal, make no mistake about that. So no crying about it later saying you “didn’t know” this is what the plan entailed.

Now, for my part, if that’s what it takes, I’m all for it.

I’m in, baby!