Audio: Gomez making trip, Price vs. Wings

AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Scott Gomez | Travis Moen | Yannick Weber

Highlights from a day that was off-ice only, the team chartering out at 3 pm for Windsor:

Scott Gomez will make the trip. Jacques Martin says the centreman is improving and a decision will be made tomorrow on his status. Gomez said, in several different ways, that it’s lower-body, and joked that he has a large lower body. Said he was struck by a leg.

Carey Price gets the start in goal vs. Detroit. Martin will then consider who he plays vs. Toronto.

1. andrewberkshire says:

I find it hard to hate the Loafs. Its similar to the guy you hated most in highschool, and you see him homeless and addicted to drugs on the side of the road. You can’t hate that guy anymore, you can only feel sorry for him.

2. Somethingwithhabsinit says:

Oh dude, you blew it! That deal was WAY in our favour! Quick call him back and tell him he can keep the Expos, as long as he throws in a Langway jersey. Also, Albert Haynesworth has to come up here and give me a high-five.

3. SeriousFan09 says:

And I say goodbye, good riddance to Bell Internet as of today.

Wonder of Effin’ wonders, I can watch Highlight videos on NHL.com again.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

Minnesota’s Clayton Stoner is on the injury list.  This isn’t exactly breaking news, I just love the guy’s name.

There’s no truth to the rumour that this was also the headmaster’s nickname when he was a university student.

5. andrewberkshire says:

Justin, players don’t need to say anything for impressions to be made. Weeks before Carbo was fired people who were in the dressing room were saying the players didn’t seem to understand him, and there were no quotes about lack of communication until he was fired. Being around the players every day like Stubbs and Hickey are, they can see when there are divisions even if things aren’t said. It’s like when you know a friend is mad at you and they haven’t said anything about it. I would trust Stubbs’s instincts on the matter more than any conflated report from RDS. But as you said, I’m not arguing with you because you don’t believe there are divisions in the room anyway. Just clarifying my position.

6. ctony says:

Thanks.  If Henrik gets 100 with 10 goals it would half of Thornton, least ever.  Wow.

7. habsfanonthewestcoast says:

nooooooooooooo!

8. punkster says:

Way more fun than anything you folks are dicsussing…Loafs versus Filthy tonight on TSN.

• The two teams I hate the most facing off in a battle of the…well, of the two teams I hate the most. I can’t think of any better entertainment for an off night like this that doesn’t involve hookers, blow and…no wait!
    • The return of Plan9…er Phaneuf…From Outer Space. As per the TSN site, he “is ready to come down from the press box and start helping the Toronto Maple Leafs.” Now it may just be me but that sounds a whole lot like they’re expecting the second coming of some deity or other who will descend to earth and lead them to the promised land. Or is it that Plan9 really is an alien from out there (wooooowooo) in the nether regions of the universe. That cowlick in his hair? It hides a horn.
    • Oh, and I await with breathless anticipation the appearance of that rough and tumble, rock ’em sock ’em, never-back-down, Mike Komisaurus. After the incredible display of fisticuffs he put on last night having both he and Plan9 in the lineup gives the Loafs that level of truculence they’ll need to match the Filthy.

Should be a great tilt folks. I’m calling Filthy by a converted touchdown.

***All You Need Is Love***

9. J_P says:

THN did an article on the top-10 lowest goal scoring 100 point players a few weeks back.

10. otter649 says:

Doesn’t a writer of Habs Inside/Out have a bet with Rick Moffatt – Habs play by play announcer on CJAD800 where Moffatt took Price & the writer who I can’t remember took Halak on whose stats will be better at the end of the season………

11. Psycho29 says:

Just reading about the Sharks-Flyer game last night, saw that Mike Richards scored to win the game as time ran out only to have it refused because the buzzer went before the puck crossed the line….Couldn’t happen to a nicer guy…..or team!

Then the Sharks won the game in the shootout…..Now that’s priceless….

12. habsruleworld says:

TSN’s Cullen, talking about Max Pacioretty making the jump to the NHL this year.

Some good words of support for Max Pac, in this article

Go Max Go

13. RiverviewCanadien says:

Never said it was the truth Andrew. What happened between Pleks and PK did not look playful, when Lapierre stepped in, he and Subban started playing, if you will.

And really, if the room was “divided” (which I don’t think it is), but if the vets on the team really had a beef with PK, do you honestly think they would tell any media persons? The players on this team know how the media blows everything up, they respect each other and to me, that is something they would keep among themselves. So Stubbs can say what he wants, but even HE is not privy to EVERYTHING.

14. Mark C says:

Thanks for posting that. I was just looking at his numbers; Max-Pac now has 15 goals in his past 19 games! This is more than just a hot streak. His shot totals have sky rocketed this season (4.8 shots per game) and his shooting % is sustainable at 12.5%, I think Max’s game has turned a corner and he has legit top-6 potential. I really hope Max isn’t dealt this season. I’ve long been a believer in his overall game, but this season he is finally scoring goals.

15. ctony says:

Price shaved his ‘stache.  That could have been an idiotic senseless risk. He assumed he could win without one.  Despite his struggles without one last season.  I heard Plecs changes his turtle neck after wins and losses.  scary….

16. LA Loyalist says:

We actually met Boudreau when Caps were here practicing to play Kings last Christmas, he was pretty friendly.

But, yeah, if Caps keep playing like Craps there will be trouble. It’s always easiest to can the coach (just ask Carbo).

For me (and probably all of us) the ultimate frustration in Montreal — and ongoing — and to be fair it’s probably the same in all teams and all sports, only more so here, is we never really know what’s going on, the extreme example being Chelios, I guess.

A situation like Patrick Roy’s train wreck –  at least we all saw it (along with the rest of the free world) live — and the discussion, tragedy that it was and remains, had some basis on planet earth.

PK? We don’t know sh*t except rumors. How can we have definitive opinions? Even Gomez, whom you know is my personal favorite, may have some legit issue that would exonerate him. And maybe it’s unknown even to the team – like Lupul’s bizarre illness, or Jason Blake before he was diagnosed or Koivu, for that matter. I’m not trying to ferment speculation, but to wonder out loud how we can all be so hardline when the facts are so thin?

But I guess the bottom line is as long as a player is playing he is deemed healthy.

In PK’s case, I just wonder. It could go very wrong with a fine prospect if not well handled.

“Exercising authority is not the same thing as exercising judgement.”

17. ctony says:

I’ve seen every Price game this year and his play has been unbelievable.  How does Thomas let up 1/2 a goal per game less???  Must be unreal.

18. hab_skill says:

Dunno but I have him and his brother in my fantasy pool.

19. ctony says:

Henrick Sedin is on pace for a 10-88-98 point season.  Does anyone know if a forward with 100 points
    ever had as few as 10 goals?

20. Storm Man says:

Did Stubbs have his 3D glasses on?

21. JF says:

Interesting stats.  It’s pretty hard to believe that Thomas could go the rest of the season with a save percentage of .955.  Somewhere between .93 and .94 is more probable.

What’s so amazing about Price is that he’s been utterly consistent, even moreso than Thomas.  He has yet to play a bad game and hasn’t allowed more than 2 or 3 dubious goals.  If he continues that, such an achievement would in itself be Vezina-worthy, even if his overall save percentage were slightly lower than Thomas’s.  Price’s play gives the team a legitimate chance to win every single game.

22. andrewberkshire says:

From the video I saw, it was playful sparring and RDS was trying to make something out of nothing. Stubbs has also said several times to clarify that there is no division in the dressing room.

23. kempie says:

Yeah I agree with that but I also believe that usually, where there’s smoke there’s fire. My guess here is that it’s somewhere between smouldering and raging and we’ll never know what the truth is because, in Montreal, if the press smells smoke, they start adding gasoline.

24. RiverviewCanadien says:

Well I seem to remember a video on 4 a 7 on RDS showing a scrum between Pleks and Subban. I tried a google search and found this piece Subban vs Pleks.

Not sure how true it is that there were other altercations, but I do remember watching the video on RDS.

25. Storm Man says:

He does have good taste in suits, He be giving PK some tips on and off the ice in the press box Friday.

26. LA Loyalist says:

Well thank you! Really interesting.

“The Intangibles” — coming to a theatre near you this Christmas.

27. LA Loyalist says:

Exactly – we don’t know and thus should walk gingerly to judgment, not rush.

I’m worried, though, 3 games is a lot and going into Detroit without PK and Markov, boy…

“The Intangibles” — coming to a theatre near you this Christmas. Starring Scott Gomez as Captain Kirk, PK Subban as Doc Holladay and Hal Gill as Gilligan.

28. badbalance says:

I know that Thornton had like 92 assists in a season but scored 20 goals that season

29. LA Loyalist says:

LOL. I don’t envy Boudreau at all, I think he has it at least as hard as Count Chocula.

My buddy actually offered us Backstrom and  Semin and the Montreal Expo’s back, but they wanted PK and Gomez, of course I took your advice and said no — I am waiting for them to sweeten it just a little.

It’s funny, Caps fans still talk about the Rod Langway trade like the second coming, it made them legit.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

30. Just A Guy says:

Thats the one thing that has caught everyone by suprise, he has simply not had a bad game, its incredible. But yes there are lofty numbers up for grabs, most wins and games played in a season by a goaltender, ever. Pretty big stuff. I wonder if he can keep it up.

JM needs something like 44 wins this season to hit 600, so I think he’s riding “the thouroughbread” all the way.

31. usversusthem says:

In case anyone’s been keeping tabs on goalie stats leaderboards recently…

The two big names through the first third of the season are Carey Price and Tim Thomas. Ondrej Pavelec, Sergei Bobrovsky & Jonathan Quick are all in the mix to an extent, but if the Vezina were awarded at the half-pole, it would be a serious shock if it didn’t go to either Price or Thomas. (Jaroslav Halak, meanwhile, has fallen back into the middle of the pack after a dismal November.)

That being said, if you look at the stats right now, Thomas is probably your runaway winner. His 1.42 GAA, .955 SV%, 5 shutouts, 14-2-2 record… that’s hard to argue with. Price’s numbers right now are 1.92, .936, 4 shutouts and 17-7-2. He’s got 3 more wins than Thomas, but also 5 more regulation losses, and Thomas bests him handily in every other category. That utter statistical dominance, you’d think, would make Thomas the clear favourite.

Nevertheless, those numbers don’t tell the whole story. Both Price and Thomas’s numbers started to change drastically around early November—Thomas’s for the worse, and Price’s for the better. On November 5th, Thomas was pulled after allowing 3 goals on 25 shots through two periods against Washington, while Price was solid in leading the Habs to a 3-2 win over Buffalo. Here’s a look at some stat comparisons since (and including) that night:

Games Played: Price 15 vs Thomas 12
    Record: Price 11-3-1 vs Thomas 7-2-2*

Goals Allowed: Price 23 vs Thomas 23
    Minutes Played: Price 898 vs Thomas 711
    GAA: Price 1.54 vs Thomas 1.94

Shots: Price 483 (32.3 per 60 min.) vs Thomas 396 (33.4 per 60 min.)
    Saves: Price 460 (30.8 per 60 min.) vs. Thomas 373 (31.5 per 60 min.)
    SV%: Price .952 vs Thomas .942

Shutouts: Price 3 (Van, Phi, Tor) vs Thomas 2 (NJ, Phi)

Now that tells a whole different story. Price is still playing more games and winning more games, but without his middling early-season numbers (6-4-1, 2.44 GAA, .909 SV%, 1 SO) you can see that he’s been a complete stud in net for the Habs for more than a month now. Thomas, meanwhile, has fallen off his untenable early-season pace (7-0-0, 0.71 GAA, .977 SV%, 3 SO) and is coming back down to earth. If these trends continue (they might not, but what the heck), by the Christmas break it wouldn’t be surprising to see their statistics meeting in the middle.

*Thomas didn’t get credit for the loss against Washington on Nov. 5 since the eventual game winner was scored in the third period against Tuukka Rask after the Bruins potted three straight goals to tie it.

32. Propwash says:

The thing is, was Dube told directly by any of the vets or coaching staff? If not, it’s speculation as far as I’m concerned.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

33. LA Loyalist says:

“The Intangibles” — coming to a theatre near you this Christmas.

34. TheMostCupsPeriod says:

You’re so one dimensional it’s funny!

Still can’t believe they hired PG instead of you.

I don’t get the reference 🙁

36. A. Berke says:

With all due respect, that’s not a concrete example but would only constitute cammalleri’s opinion.

Ali B.

I am sorry… Gomez complained about the way PK plays?

38. christophor says:

Wow …

We’re winning with Gomez.

Therefore, we can’t win without him.

We’re winning with Gomez

Therefore, Gomez isn’t playing badly.

Wow, just WOW.

I assume if the Habs lose tomorrow to one of the best teams in the league, and Gomez can’t dress, it’ll be because Gomez wasn’t around to do all those … good things he does. We could use him but, my goodness, some people reason terribly. If Gomez is out, the Habs need PK to rush the zone on the PP. Both of them missing will hurt.

This is the last time I want to post about Gomez. I didn’t until yesterday and I’ll try not to after today, unless something else really stupid is said and I cant help myself. I like the guy, personally, but for every dumb comment about wanting him to be injured, there’s an equally dumb comment at the other extreme.

The ONLY way to improve our PP is to bring MAB back.

40. A. Berke says:

Frankly all that reminds of the speculations made against Price last year.

Let us know who these veterans are and what was said, done and ignored in the dressing room please, instead of ppl taking sides (very inanely I might add) for no known reason and a bright young prospect sitting out as a result. If he deserves sitting out, JM should have some cojones and tell the fans and the media what it is and we’ll all go along without any fuss.

However, they way it looks now PK’s sitting out’s only explanation is what one media guy  said or speculated and everything is getting built on that speculation.

This is beyond ridiculous and rather boneheaded, let’s not shoot ourselves in the foot.

Ali B.

PS: With speculations made about the team in the last two years alone, if they were assembled in a book, the resulting book would be bigger than Montreal’s combined phone books.

41. shiram says:

If thats the case, i’m glad he could see the team win without him, and it would do good to bring him back even if the team keeps winning. But we’ll have to trust Jacques Martin.

42. Say Ash says:

I’m not his biggest fan (my Gomez t-shirt has become a workout shirt), but do you think our 5-minute powerplay would have been any worse with him out there?

43. N.B.habs fan says:

kempie,that post makes more sense than all the crap talk I been reading .thanks

44. habs365 says:

you’re 100% right on your assistment..and a break away from playing may help pk..what I’m having problems with..PK took the blame for the loss against Edmonton..yes he made 2 mistakes and it caused us 1 point..if the whole team had scored more against a weak team mistakes or not the win would have been ours..you would have never heard of subban’s mistakes..I guess the coach didn’t like what he saw..so he, subban paid the price.

now that he’s paid the price and hope he’s learned from it..the fans want to see him play..not to put any player down..subban’s presence in the line up is more valuable than picards and eventually maybe as early as friday night..going against a skilled team like Detroit..I have a feeling I may be right (hope not) for sure Price will be busy.

45. kempie says:

Here’s what I heard. According to Dany Dubé of CKAC, a fairly respected guy, PK was spoken to by some of the veterans, presumably guys like Gio, Gomez, Gill about his “behaviour”. Exactly what this means, I’m not sure but I suspect that the issue is that he needs to put the Ws ahead of everything else. So, making the high percentage, safe plays instead of the higher risk/reward stuff that is PKS’ specialty. I’m speculating here, but I doubt it has anything to do with “cockyness” or trash talk, that stuff is just gonna happen. So, according to Dubé, the veterans felt that they didn’t really get through to PK and things escalated to the next level which was a bit of a dust-up at practice between PK and Plex. The next step was that JM was approached by the vets, who explained the situation and JM agreed to take care of it. I see it as a rough patch in the learning curve of an extremely promising talent. PK’s anything but dumb, and watching the team rack up three Ws in a row without him will make an impression on him. This kid knows his potential and what it takes. He has his eyes on the prize so to speak and he won’t go all Kostitsyn74 over his pressbox duty. Everything is fine and, in the words of somebody who’s been there, everyone should “chill out”. It’s all good.

46. _Habsoloutly_ says:

well, at least thats what some of the commentariat believes.  this is truly a bizarre place.  but it’s great comic relief to read some of the rubbish that gets posted here.

47. Propwash says:

That’s a pure example of a quote that can be taken in two ways. Maybe he called him primetime because he is actually that good?

That’s what I am saying… Without Gomer Habs are doomed.

49. Rice Miller says:

I agree, except for the fact that if both Weber and Subban stay up, then one will be sitting in the press box most of the time. Weber and/or Subban will not improve as players watching their team mates play from above. Both of these young players need ice time to improve. They could probably spot Picard once in a while, but it still will not be enough. Their time will come, especially with the age of Hamrlik and Spacek. I say, it is better to send Weber back to Hamilton, let him play 25 minutes of quality ice time, only because PK is still a better prospect and brings of a more physical game to the table. Having said that, I have been really impressed with Weber and look forward to seeing him play full time next year. It’s also nice to know we have him waiting in case we have another injury on D.

50. N.B.habs fan says:

Good post,hope you have a speedy recovery..CHEERS!

51. habs4ever2894 says:

We know that he and Plekanec have gotten into it in a couple of practises …..

52. VancouverHab says:

Since we’re winning (glorious wonderful joyus winning) with Gomez, let’s not take the idiotic senseless risk of assuming that we can win without him.

53. likehoy says:

with regards to PK sitting out while the team’s winning

the lesson to be learned is not one player is greater than the team.

we can win with him, but we can also win without him. It tells PK not to take things for granted and to play with more consistency.

He’s a good playe already, great player? I don’t think so. He only has 9 points in 25 games, that by no means are outstanding numbers. He’s had some great games and some awful games and with the style he plays, he’s going to be noticed for his good and bad plays, unlike players like picard.

– Gomez is holding down the suck button

54. likehoy says:

well cammalleri calls PK “primetime”

– Gomez is holding down the suck button

Thank god Gomer is making a trip… cause I started to get worried. Whatever team will do without him. Ay ya yay.

56. Propwash says:

See, that’s what I’d figure, because if it was as bad as some say it is, PK would be on the next bus back to Hamilton. Martin wouldn’t put up with crap like that.

I am yet to hear a concrete example of his “cocky” attitude in the dressing room. Same as I am to hear an example of him not being respectful. It’s all a bunch of BS and media’s blowing smock up your behinds to get more clicks.

58. NashvilleMatty says:

Like most “news” out of Montreal, there’s probably about 10% truth and the other 90% is blown out of proportion.

59. shiram says:

It’s been reported in some news outlet, but there’s no official word on it.

60. Propwash says:

Something has been bugging me about this whole Subban and his cockyness/attitude thing in the room that so many people are saying. Is this a known fact, or just speculation that is snowballing into something that it’s not?

61. savethepuck says:

Well said, we are a defence first hockey team.  We have only given up 3 goals in 3 games since he’s sat.  He’s a rookie who is still learning.  The coaches job is to win games ( that’s how he keeps his job), not to play the guys who give the fans a more exciting brand of hockey.  PK will be back, be patient, people should be happy to see we have a lot of depth on D

62. SeriousFan09 says:

Tell your buddy I hope the Capitals keep Bruce Boudreau so the Habs don’t have to sweat the Capitals in the playoffs this year.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

63. CHasman says:

I hope Gomez is back soon.  As much as everyone complains about him, the Habs were a worse team without him.  In case no one has noticed the Gomez-Cammy-Darche trio has been on the ice for the last four powerplay goals. In fact, you have to go back six games to see a pp goal by anyone else.  We saw what happened during that 5 minute PP last game when we didn’t have the second unit. (Gotta be the worst 5 minute pp I have ever seen).

I’d like to see Subban back in the lineup but what are you going to do.Nobody is playing bad back there.  Live and learn from the press box?  That’s why JM coaches and we are spectators.

I’m home from work for six more weeks after surgery and what I’d like the Habs to do for me is play every day.  I need a game fix.

64. heavy-evy says:

The is nooo way PG will pick up KOVALEV for playoff run

65. habsruleworld says:

sure seems to point to a groin issue for sure,,

66. VancouverHab says:

OK: I love Gomez to begin with, but how funny and stand-up at the same time. “I have a large ‘lower body’…” Then, “I’ve shaken my head a few times this year…” with “I have to get better.”

(Anyone know how his French is coming along?)

67. CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

I love Subban. I have been eagerly awaiting his joining the team for 2 years. However, I also think Weber is as deserving of a chance to show his stuff as PK is. That being said, I think both should stay on the Habs roster the remainder of the year. I do not understand though, why so many think he is entitled to start every game. He is NOT our best defenseman, even with Markov gone, YET. Hamrlik, Gorges have been better. Also, Gill, even Picard and Spacek have been at least as good as he has overall. Not offensively, but in the “complete player” sense. He is a rookie, a young rookie. The fact that he has a permanent spot with the big team shows that Martin has confidence in him. He will play, and soon. If he can’t handle sitting out a few games, then that is a problem. The thing is, I think the HI/O forum and Habs fans in general take more offense to the benching than he does. Yeah, he’s more exciting than all of those players, but in the long run, its better for him as an individual to not think he is entitled to a spot. If you guys recall, he also cost us a win late in the game against TB… that and EDM are our only OT losses. That is not to say he has not possibly won us some games, but that is harder to identify. He has been very good overall, but you need to play smart until the final horn blows. If that is the only lesson he gets from this benching, then it is well worth it.

The Hockey God will remain for 6 more years…

68. Somethingwithhabsinit says:

Sounds like you and your buddy have quite a trade coming up with PK. Don’t take the first offer, see what you can get for him. Then, if you have time, please explain to Jacques Martin more of the subtlety involved in coaching in the NHL.

I don’t envy your week, let us know how it goes!

69. LA Loyalist says:

nice. I tried to say the same thing yesterday less well in about 3 paragraphs.

70. LA Loyalist says:

groin pull.

And if you’ve never had one, it’s the strangest damn feeling in the world. Selanne has been in and out with a minor one the past 2 weeks.

And Gomez is right. Rest it is better.

71. LA Loyalist says:

My buddy, who is a passionate Caps fan, asked about the Sub situation, I explained as best I could, summarizing both sides of the debate from HIO.

He said Caps would happily take PK Subban off our hands.

I think that says all that needs to be said.

My own personal opinion, or as they say, tentative ruling, (and obviously we don’t know exactly what happened, and if we did our opinions might change) is that Coach Martin does not understand that exercising authority is not the same thing as exercising judgment.

72. habsruleworld says:

Gomez explains the injury below,,

“I’ve been in the League a while now, and I know this is the kind of
    thing you want to be careful with,” continued Gomez when questioned on
    the severity of his injury. “How you deal with something like this can
    mean the difference between missing a couple of days, or missing a
    couple of months. You just have to take the right precautions.”  “When I was younger, I played with guys that never had any excuses for
    not jumping on the ice, whether it was a Randy McKay or a Scott
    Stevens,” “You play
    regardless of the pain. But there are some injuries that you’re just
    stupid if you ignore and try to play through. The playoffs are an
    entirely different story. I’ve always been lucky enough to be part of
    teams who had a good idea where they were going to find themselves in
    the standings.”

Gomez’s words above, as seen on the habs website

73. Et Le Buttttt says:

At first I didnt really care that Subban sat out but now it doesnt really make sense. He is sitting out because technically the team is winning. So does that mean he sits in the pressbox until they lose. He should be used to help the team and I think he would help against Detroit. Just saying he shouldnt be sat until they lose just cause their winning.

74. SeriousFan09 says:

Just watched some Pavel Datsyuk highlights.

Kovalev, this is who you could have been if you gave a damn more often.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.