Audio: GM Gauthier on quiet Habs day

Brad Staubitz

Incoming Canadien Brad Staubitz.
Claus Andersen, Getty Images Sport

Here’s the English portion of Canadiens GM Pierre Gauthier’s news briefing in Tampa this evening. Thanks to TSN 990 Radio’s John Bartlett for the audio.

Also: audio of former Canadien Andrei Kostitsyn in Sunrise, Fla., earlier in the day as he left to join his new team, the Nashville Predators.

Pierre Gauthier
Andrei Kostitsyn

1. JayK-47 says:

Man, what a letdown. I knew Slomez and Campoli weren’t going anywhere but I was hoping Kraperle would have left for the last pick in the draft even.

13 million in cap space….. You could sign Parise and Suter for that money.

Instead, we have Kaberle, Campoli…. and Gomez.

2. montreal ace says:

I dont see the big fuss about AK leaving the Habs, if he loves Montreal so much, he can sign with us again during the summer. Montreal is getting a bad rap for being a bad city to play hockey in, its the greatest city in the world for hockey, country music not so much.

3. vic says:

What a brunch of crap from the media questioning Ak

Trying to get to say something negative about the team

4. chartraw27 says:

Not sure what to think about the AK trade. When he is on, he is a beast. Unfortunately, he was a dog too often. Tough to always blame the coach as he has been through 3 or 4 in his time in Montreal. I do worry that he will become a consistent 25 to 30 goal guy. I doubt it though. I don’t understand the sending down of Leblanc. So Gomez can get his ice time? The Habs better clean house at the end of this season.
    I have trust in Timmins. He drafts well, the organisation does a horrible job of developing. I say sit Gomez and Kaberle and play as many young guys as possible. Sign the college guys and play them when their NCAA season is over. Draft some bigger skilled guys if Nail is already gone.

5. alwayssunny says:

I’m never one to question management but maybe we cut the hook on AK46 a little early. Its hard to tell. After all he’s only 27, he’s just a baby for god’s sake. I know we want to win but sometimes we get a little impatient. We only gave him a 5 year look. At least we drew attention to him prior to the trade. Benching him and the belly aching that ensued had to get the attention of other GMs. Any press is good press.

We got a number two and I’m not a numbers guy but I’m sure at least 5 or 10 percent of those go on to score 20 goals a year so we did ok. Stick that goon we got in Hamilton, now’s not the time to pretend we need a guy to protect our players. Maybe 4 months ago or even 5 years ago but not when our season is on the line.

• Lizardking89 says:

The season on the line? That line has disappeared last month the season is over. We needed an enforcer 3 years ago about time we got one that’s not afraid to drop the gloves. I want to see this guy break Marchand’s big honker he would earn his salary just doing that IMO.

• alwayssunny says:

Finally we have a guy that can take on the mighty Marchand. Too bad we dont play them until next year, unless we meet them in round two. I don’t think we can possibly reach 7th, but 8’th is still reachable as Captain Gionta said yesterday. I doubt he will still be around next year becasue as we know we dont waste ice time on guys like that. Better to have Yanni and Polucja and Blunden and Engqvist manning that 4th line. Guys who dont waste minutes.

• HardHabits says:

The Habs would need to go 17-2 to get in. So it is not impossible.

However, this team has looked in disarray since the pre-season. The few games they’ve won came at the expense of goaltenders asleep at the wheel that night. 22 losses have come from games in which they led.

This is not a play-off team. They don’t score often enough. They can’t hold leads when they do. They rely too heavily on goaltending and at the moment they only have one goaltender who can carry the load, a load that is increasingly becoming too heavy.

This is not about a season. This is about whether or not this team will ever have a squad capable of finishing in the top 10, or better yet 5, of the league and having enough depth and talent to go 4 rounds of play-off hockey. That will not happen over night and it could be easily squandered on another short term quest to put together a hodge-podge play-off team at any cost as soon as next season.

6. The Gonk says:

Mister this Mister that Mister what’s his face Mister so-n’-so. Mister Mister. What’s that song? Broken Wings or something like that. Gauthier’s soft-balls staged pressers are annoying. Why doesn’t an intrepid beat reporter ask some of the following: 1) Why the cripes is Scott Gomez still on this team? 2) Do you think your trade for Kaberle wasn’t a giant/epic fail? 3) Will you re-sign Travis Moen? 4) Why did you hire a new coach and immediately throw him under the bridge? 5) Do you think you panicked ever once during the season? 6) Why are you ruining Lars Eller? 7) Will you guarantee this team will rebound and make the playoffs next year? 8) Do you think you deserve to keep your job? Etc.

7. Stev.R says:

I know Geoffrion can play wing and center, but which wing does he play?

From the looks of it, our top LW prospect is Slaney. I know wing can be pretty interchangable but still. I could be wrong though.

8. habbernack says:

Find a good coach and you never know what could happen e.g. Ottawa and Fla.

ability is what you’re capable of doing.
    attitude determines how you do it

9. Stev.R says:

I think we only have 5 players under 6 feet now. Gio, DD, Gomez, Weber, Diaz…

10. L Elle says:

I liked AK, but it wasn’t working. Yeah I know, the owners, GMs and coaches have sucked for decades now.

The game where LarZ scored 4 goals, that was brought to you by AK. Man what talent the guy has, too bad he hasn’t made full use of it so far.

As for the return, nobody really wanted him except NSH. Would you have traded your 1st rounder for him? Doubt it.

It was time to cut the loss, and move on. I know an AK watch will be set up soon, and woe-is-me if AK does well in NSH. (which I believe he will, at least for a while)

As for Staubitz, I hope he rearranges Weiss’ face next month, and Ribeiro’s next season among others. ;)

• The Dude says:

Barry Trotz will MAKE AK the player we all thought he could be…mark my words! Mr Gauthier & Mr Gainey,take a hike and let the door hit you !

• thewongster says:

i believe you… but we shouldn’t regret the trade, he was never set up to succeed here.

• VONLEBARON says:

Exactly, they never fully used his skills. one bad game a he was benched while darche can make so many mistakes he wants but still never got scratched one game. When he did play well, they always seem to change up is line mates.
          I liked AK, big, fast and can shoot and was a plus player, I bet you we well see how good he is when he is treated well.

11. Danno says:

test

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

12. Danno says:

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

13. Rainrocket16 says:

I actually heard a dude call in on 990 stating we should get PK’s kid brother in nets. wow!!

14. slapshot777 says:

It was not only the rest of the league who weren’t just interested in our players. Like GMs said the prices were too high and GMs weren’t will to pay the price.

Since the Habs only made one trade doesn’t mean that was the only player anyone had interest in.

We heard today that Plekanec, White, Moen, and maybe Subban were at least spoken about. PG just decided that they weren’t players he was willing part with.

Look at the Leafs all they did was make minor league trades that only TSN saw fit to make news worthy. If it were anyone else you would never have heard about them.

15. rated_R says:

Blim you cal yourself a fan? Don’t buy tickets just because they will “suck”. Im sorry buddy but i will always continue to buy em, no matter how bad the team is. I support the team during the high moments but also during these dark long seasons.

16. Sap Anderson says:

watch this video until the end… sounds like gomez is a real win-first, great locker room leader kind of guy…

actually, it sounds more like his teammates won’t miss kostitsyn except for gomez, the guy with whom “he was always just laughing and having a good time”

17. Time for the Habs to move on.
    Although I wanted to see AK46 get traded, I feel a bit sad from the inside. When he’s on, man he’s a beast. Left some good memories. At the same time, I didn’t see him fitting in the Canadiens line-up anymore.
    All the best in Nashville, Andrei. I will be rooting for you in the playoffs.
    Let’s continue tanking boys. Rebuild and draft a franchise player.

18. Old Bald Bird says:

I am so enthralled with the notion of calling players, Mr, that I am at present gathering a petition for all sportscasters to do this all of the time, even in play-by-play. It is sure to add class and dignity to our game and guarantee worldwide approval for our beloved sport. Please add your name to the growing list at http://www.pleasecallallhockeyplayersmister.com. Thank you.

Sincerely

Mr OBB

19. Psycho29 says:

We traded an underachieving player who plays with no heart, for a 2nd round pick in 2013, which will possibly be a strong draft crop. I like that trade. We got the best we could in return for AK.

Brad Staubitz? Another move in the right direction. Sorry, but how many times is a player like Stephen Weiss going to taunt one of our players, and nobody even says a word to him???

Would I have liked to have seen a blockbuster deal today? Sure……but not at the expense of losing a potential future star like Tinordi, Leblanc, Gallagher, etc.

Let the season run out…..and let the rebuild begin!!

20. JoaquindaPark says:

Call me eternal optimist, but I buy into the comment that you can turn a franchise around in a heartbeat. In a losing season it is easy to focus on a Gomez or a Kaberle and chastise them. If you breathe through the nose for a bit you realize that our Team has strengths and weaknesses. Top 6 forwards are not bad. Playmaking centre men, good. Defensive forwards: excellent. Goaltending:solid. Power forwards: more than on most teams. Weaknesses: size at centre. Face off winning centers. Grit. On defense, we have 1 with grit, 1 exceptional talent, a reliable leader. On the right side we are weak as only Subban is a blue chip. Diaz is ok, so is Weber, but on a small team their inexperience and lack of size starts to glare. The other weakness is lack of depth. All teams get injuries. But when a Hab gets hurt this year, they had to bring up a bunch of lame Bulldogs. plush am is not an NHLer, Leblanc is too young still, so is Engvist. Next year will be different. Gionta gets injured you bring up a Gallagher. A defenseman gets injured you bring up Tinordi or Beaulieu. The depth will be back. A few more comments: last year we brought up a right handed centre man that did the job (halpern). This year Nokelainen did not work. I think Engvist fills that role in years to come. Key needs: a power play (hopefully Markov) and size on defense. Maybe trade a Diaz for a 6th defenseman with sandpaper. Size up front now starts to look good with Cole, Max PAC, Bourque, White, Blunden, Staubitz, and hopefully Moen or Darche back. Patience is a virtue.

• mike3131 says:

I agree that we can turn this franchise around in a heartbeat but we need to make bigger moves than just trading Diaz and Weber. I believe we can turn this franchise around if we land Suter AND Parise in the offseason. We must dump Gomez and Kaberle of course. Plus, we will benefit from a top 5 pick and Tinordi, Gallagher, Leblanc, Beaulieu being a year older.

21. Bim says:

Pretty sad commentary by the rest of the league (real hockey people) on the value of Habs player personnel to the point they could only move one. Get ready for a few lean years coming up. Better not renew those season tickets just yet. It might take a few last place finishes to re-stock the shelves.

Seriously, removed my comment about Gauthier? Unreal.

23. deuce6 says:

Finally, this team has realized that we are too small and stockpiling draft picks is the way to go…I know, we should have traded Kostitsyn for Nash *eye roll*, but let’s be realistic and stop over valuing a player for what he is, and enigmatic UFA that shows up when he feels like it..Be happy that we now have added the necessary assets to actually add a franchise type of center..Something this team hasn’t had since, IDK, Jean Beliveau? lol

2 1st rounders in the next 2 years and 5 2nd rounders in the same time frame..7 picks in the top 2 rounds of each respected draft..Next season’s draft is supposed to be deep, so have 5 of the top 60 picks will stock the cupboard nicely..

We free up more cap space in helping re-signing Price and Subban…We have a really young core going forward with Price, Subban, Gorges, Pacioretty, Eller, LeBlanc, Emelin, Plekanec, and Desharnais…Add a lottery/blue chip/franchise center like Grigarenko and we have the making of a solid future..

We needed this more than anything..I was sick and tired of finishing in the middle of the pack only to squeak into the playoffs and letting good talent go for squat..To take 2 steps forward, we need to take 1 step back..

Say what you will, but I am a happy fan, right now…Not because we missed the playoffs, but because we finally have a direction..

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

• Fabio D says:

I’ll agree with what you’re saying…if you can answer whether you trust Gauthier et all to not “waste” the picks on the same old?

• jim mccarty says:

Gauthier sucks. I trust Gainey. I don’t believe that was his choice in the Gomez trade. Back to PG. Gauthier should have kept MAB instead of the sad parade they brought in to replace him. The better choice would have to extended Wiz as he fit in well. Could have signed him for 4.5 instead of going with a parade. gauthier needs to go.

24. Bill says:

If I’m the Predators, I love the idea of getting another Kostitsyn from the Habs. Sergei Kostitsyn leads the Predators in even-strength goals and is on his way to a second-straight 20+ goal season. If he got power-play time he probably would have scored 30 goals last year.

Meanwhile, how are Dustin Boyd and Dan Ellis working out for the Habs? I forget.

Andrei, in my opinion, is quite a bit more talented than Sergei. This should be interesting.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• habstrinifan says:

Coincidentally I just finished checking his stats at TSN.CA. WOW! I am surprised that we havent seen his name as much here on HIO followed by “I told you so”. You are right he is doing extremely well and scares you, as a habs fan, tot hinkk of the possibilities if AK turns his play around as SK has done with Nashville.

This indeed could become an ugly pair of trades.

• Bill says:

We don’t hear much about Sergei because he’s in Nashville. Maybe Gauthier is hoping for similar results with Andrei?

I’m surprised we don’t hear more about Grabovski. This will be his third 20+ goal season in Toronto, and would be his fourth except for injury problems in 2009/10.

Of course, we all hated Grabovski, so that probably explains that. I really can’t say I miss him myself.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• slamtherimtim says:

he will probaly be on fire for a while , but the thing with him is it doesnt seem to last , im happy with the 2nd and and we get any pick we would have given for gill, 2 or 3 years time this team already looks good

• habstrinifan says:

I am not upsetthat he wa straded.. I dont think he was doing well here.. or ever lived up to his draft position. But there is a fear that the way he was treated and used here contributed immensely to his unhappiness and sense of not belonging which was reflected in his play. Maybe he is what we saw. But also know that he is the most talented player we have ‘let go’ over the last three years… and dont overlook the size too. If indeed he becomes a ‘happy’ productive camper in Nashville we could be in for many many nights of rueful reading of the stats sheets.

• Bill says:

How long do we have to keep saying that though?!

Full Breezer 4 Life

25. matt jordan says:

PG brought in Staubitz just so Gomez’s production looks that much better.

This team flat out sucks

26. habs17 says:

P.G must of watched the movie GOON and realized we may need one so he went out and got one

President of the Scott Gomez Fan Club

(I support Scott Gomez)

27. JohnBellyful says:

I think posters are being too hard on PG. Engineering trades is no easy task, especially when your assets are lacking. Getting rid of a player who’s an RFA is easier than shipping out an UFA but it’s virtually impossible when the player is a Scott Gomez who is SFA.

28. Storm Man says:

So the nickname for our new goon…… “BLITZ”

29. habs17 says:

it’s pretty obvious why this team sucks, Its the french issue, our gm has to be french, so right away that limits are choices, and thats why we get stuck with clowns like P.G The french language

President of the Scott Gomez Fan Club

(I support Scott Gomez)

30. Les Canayens says:

LOL Rick Nash asked for a trade according to his GM. Now he’ll have to pretend he cares to play in Columbus at least until this summer.

▭ ◌ ▭ ◌ ▭ ◌ ▭ ◌ ▭
    Scouting is subjective.

31. Frank2468 says:

Mr Mr Mr Mr Mr Mr Mr this and Mr Mr Mr Mr Mr that, PG really bugs me, what a tool. The only way I think we can get rid of PG is if the State of Vermont doesn’t let him cross over the boarder in the morning since her lives there. So if the Governor of Vermont is listening could you please stop Mr Gauthier from coming back into Canada? The Montreal Canadians and it’s Fan base would greatly appreciate it. Hopefully if the Senator’s should tank in the playoffs maybe the Senators owner would take Gauthier back? After all in Ontario it’s considered a crime to dump your garbage on someone else’s lawn. Enough of this guy already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

32. Rainrocket16 says:

For all of you who need a little smile after todays boring day…. It’s what we have been lacking whether some of you like it or not! I love it!!

• Timo says:

Well, our current coach will most likely keep him on the bench or in the minors. No matter what players we have our coach is an idiot and our GM is a worthless tool. Until that changes 21 crosby’s (pre concussed) won’t take this team beyond the first round.

• Bill says:

Let me know when they start giving points for winning fights, okay?

Staubitz couldn’t crack Minnesota’s line-up … now that doesn’t mean he can’t crack ours, but … that isn’t a good thing.

Full Breezer 4 Life

33. habstrinifan says:

Tuesday marks the start of our 2013 training camp. I think we have enough bodies to start building a push-ack/shutdown/checking..whatever you want to call it line.

34. English is not a Crime says:

Reports say Staubitz has become a tree hugging, environmentalist vegan that has found God and become a pacifist as of 3pm today. His heroes include Laraque and Steven Segal. Ah rats, not again….

35. SPATS says:

Because it took me so long to respond to a post below, I’ve reposted here to stir the pot…
    I’ve been saying that for months. Geoff Molson never earned a dime. He’s playing with other people’s money, but the fools spending their hard earned cash on his beer and crappy team have made him look good. It won’t last. Nepotism and inheritance don’t qualify you to run a team. Just another entitled type who thinks he can turn his love for the Habs into a career. He’s let BG/PG spend approx $30 million this year (Carbo, JM, Markov, Gionta, Cammy, Gomez) with only some bad luck (Gio is too small) bad attitude (Cammy) and bad play (your poster boy) and bad decisions to show for it. Of course PG would decide to fire JM instead of resigning, he was a real threat to take away his job!

If Molson would stop listening to BG (who is really the one with the most fingerprints on this crime scene) he might have dumped PG, promoted JM, brought back Carbo (he is still paying his bloated salary among others) and cut BG and his past his prime decision making loose. At worst, he’d have saved himself the language embarrasement, the salaries of JM and Carbo, BG’s salary and maybe gotten a little more out of Cammy and who knows, couldn’t have been much worse than what we’re seeing here, and maybe even a first round exit could’ve softened the losses…

PG shat the bed when he re signed Markov to huge $$. Molson should’ve been paying attention. One panicky silly bad decision after another followed. Pearn? Are you kidding me?

The buck stops at Molson. He’s let PG embarrass him but hasn’t figured it out yet. Or worse, he’s got his hand up PG’s rear. Either way, his siblings on the beer end must be sweating. They’re one pissed boycott away from a bigger problem.

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH!

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH!

36. Steeltown Hab says:

Pierre Gauthier has no clue what he’s doing, this teams a laughing stock, why get rid of a forward who wants to stay, can score goals and actually has size? Than get below market value on the return. Molson wake up and do something. No one in this franchise knows anything about how to run an NHL franchise. How these guys collect a paycheck every week is a slap in the face. RC never gave AK a fair chance. There slowly giving Eller the same treatment. Here’s a clue Molson. DONT HIRE FROM WITHIN, get someone who doesn’t know how to speak french to GM so he can’t hear what half these clowns internally are trying to tell him what to do.

37. Jimmy9Toes says:

I can’t believe about 90% of the people that posted on this site today. I mean i hate the Goat and PG as much as the rest of them for what they have done to the greatest NHL franchise in the history of the NHL, but i mean, come on, who in the hell would want Campoli, Kaberle or Gomez. They suck and we are in 28th place. If they suck on the this team, why would any GM not named Gauthier or Gainey give up anything more than a bag of pucks for them. Campoli’s last game in a Habs uniform is the last game of the regular season. Gomez, well i guess we can hope for a clause in the new CBA where we can buy him out and not count towards the cap. Now Kaberle on the other hand, i know some people will crucify me for saying this, is not bad as a first or second unit PP Dman and maybe 6-8 minutes of 5 on 5 play. He would have to be paired with a good stay at home Dman that could cover for his mistakes, but hey unless we can someone dump him in the off season, we are stuck with 2 more years of him. But really, a second round pick for a former 10th overall pick that has not lived up to expectations is not bad, especially if he doesn’t sign in Nashville in the off season. From what i hear, the 2013 draft is really deep and with all the second round picks, maybe our new GM can package our first and a couple of second for a top 5 pick, granted if we are not drafting in the top 5 again.

38. gismo111 says:

If i have to see Gauthier and Gainey back along with 2 goals Gomez, i think i am going to quit watching Montreal. Gauthier and Gainey seem to be like Betman, untouchable for some reason,
    why the hell are they still around our hockey city………..?????

• gismo111 says:

The first people to go are Gauthier and Gainey, then give someone else a chance to put a hockey team in front of us. As long as those 2 are around, we will NOT have a winning team.

• Steeltown Hab says:

Molson has no clue. Gainey gets fired, they bring in his former assistant….Gainey still calling the shots, we already have Gomez (worst contract in the league) and you bring in Kaberle, when we need to re-sign PK, Price, Eller, Emelin, Diaz, White????…oh and maybe AK if they had a clue. How do the media not attack managements decisions harder in those press conferences.

39. Propwash says:

Ok, so, Gauthier didn’t sell.sell.sell. Guess what, nobody else did either, and the team doesn’t have very many assets to part with to begin with anyway. The trade deadline was a flop from the start this year, for all 30 teams.

_____________________________
    Don’t let the wultures getcha.

40. habstrinifan says:

Now that we cant trade etc and we are out of the playoffs, I would really like to see the following move made without malice.

Sit Gommez down and tell him he would be used purely as a checker and play him with White and one of our larger prospects. I would like Staubitz to be installed as one of the defense pairings and Palushaj and Geoffrion and Eller to become forwrds ahead of Gomez and Weber to be used as a forward.

and just mostly bench Campoli.
    In other words start ‘building a tem structure now. We havent had a team structure for over 2 yrs.. everyone was doing the same job interchangeably.

Then just let the boys play!

• Mark C says:

For someone with all the answers, why would you want to convert Staubitz back to D? I’m guessing there is a good reason he was moved from that postion years ago.

• habstrinifan says:

I am going with the poster who followe dhis career most. And I think we can start seeing how one defense paiting with a ‘biggish tough d-man’ could affect our defense.

Call up a big prospect to join White as a forwrd and we would be beginning down the road to a balanced team. One of our biggest problems has been our lack of a take no prisoners bigger defenseman.

41. HabsBeen says:

I guess all but one team in the NHL didn’t want experienced losers on their team.

42. LizardKing1967 says:

Finally, a heavyweight worth talking about. Staubitz has won 75% of his fights over the last two seasons. Including over Carcillo, Konopka and others. With a fourth line of White, Staubitz and Moen, we could finally start to look tough.

Drive for 25. 2012-2013. Max-Pac for Conn Smyth.

I BELIEVE!

43. ffenliv says:

I think the lack of activity isn’t due to Gauthier’s stupidity today – who would want these guys? NO ONE wanted Campoli. Even most Habs fans don’t want Darch, outside of the ‘nice guy, works hard’ angle.

It’s Gauthier’s past stupidity, along with Gainey, in building an uncompetitive team, and making bad moves this year. The Cammi and Kaberle deals were shameful.

Maybe Cammi just HAD to go because of issues, but surely there was a better way to do it – even to hold on to him until the deadline.

44. mike3131 says:

Disappointing considering the following:
    – Andrei Kostitsyn was dealt for a 2nd and 5th round pick, Gaustad yielded a 1st
    – We claimed Brad Staubitz off waivers when Anthony Stewart was available
    – We could’ve acquired the “big, physical, defensively responsible, RH 4th line centre that wins faceoffs” at the expense of a 6th round pick (I’m talking about Jerred Smithson)
    – Chris Campoli and Tomas Kaberle are still on this team

• SlovakHab says:

-If Andrei Kostitsyn would be worth a 1st rounder, he would have been traded for one. NSH overpaid for Gaustad though – but BUF could have risked not trading him and then trying to resign him. We couldn’t risk not trading AK46.
      -Agree with you.
      -This season is over, why wasting a 6th rounder?
      -Campoli was a free agent. Obtained for nothing, will leave for nothing. Probably did not interest any team. Kaberle is untradeable, even Spacek was not traded. This will hurt us next season, however.

• Trisomy 21 says:

I disagree, the thing that NSH is missing is scoring, they can live without a grinder. Gautier has no push-back, he just accepts a trade and mutters under his breath that he’d rather he got a 1st rd pick. Heck I would have been satisfied if we sent AK with a 3rd for their 1st, I bet you the thought never even came to Gautier’s head. I was on the fence regarding how I felt about him until I saw what Buf got for gaustad.

I bet GMs laugh after each time they hose Gautier. First We heard about how other GMs couldn’t believe Carolina got Kaberle off the books, now we see Buf steal their 1st for a 10g scorer who doesn’t stick up for his goalie.

• Stev.R says:

“Gautier has no push-back, he just accepts a trade and mutters under his breath that he’d rather he got a 1st rd pick.”

You got video of this? Or did you just completely make something up?

Kostitsyn is worth a 1st… when he plays well. He played awful the last couple months. Combine that with no teams were really looking for scoring wingers and you have a reason why he went for a second (which is still pretty good). Plus, he’s a UFA. Even NSH was a bit reluctant to make the trade even after they got him. I’m sure they feel they may have overpaid for him.

• mike3131 says:

Kostitsyn has more value than Gaustad, ESPECIALLY since he is now playing with his little bro in a smaller market under one of the most player-friendly coaches in the NHL. If Goatier wasn’t a Goat, he would’ve demanded a lot more than a 2nd and 5th rounder. Very disappointing trade unless that 2nd rounder becomes another PK Subban or Milan Lucic.
        Re. Smithson – back in summer 2011 when we were all talking about that 4th line centre to replace Jeff Halpern, I don’t think anyone would’ve fit better than Smithson. I know we have MUCH bigger problems to deal with now, but if we want a deep lineup, we have to build from the bottom lines to the top. If I were sitting in the big chair, I wouldn’t have minded sacrificing a low pick for Smithson because I know he would be a lock to play 4th line C and I would be confident to go after the right players in the offseason to fill the other 3 lines.

EDIT: That is also why I am happy we kept Moen because he is a key member to our bottom-6 and imagine had we acquired Smithson, we would have a satisfying Moen-Smithson-White 4th line.
        And re. Campoli and Kaberle – I get so depressed when I watch them. Both are mistakes. At least Campoli is done after this season.

• chinahab says:

I couldn’t agree more. If they could have unloaded Kaberle for even a bag of pucks I would have taken that deal to clear cap space and get rid of a phlegmatic player. We need energy and enthusiasm, not a guy on quaaludes. I’m so sad we still have him on our team.
      I also think they mesed up on AK. A 2nd rounder for a consistent 20-goal scorer is not much. I bet if they’d signed him last summer they could have had him for a three-year $3.5m deal. There’s little chance that the 2nd rounder we get will pan out into a player of AK’s stature–it could happen (Subban, for example) but more often than not they don’t make the NHL. And maybe I’m sentimental but the fact he wanted to play here is at least something.
      I hope Molson isn’t another Harold Ballard. We need an owner who sees what lousy management we have and get someone in with vision and smarts.

45. joeybarrie says:

Why is everyone so upset we didn’t trade Moen. We need a guy like him. We can re sign him. And based on what we saw today, what could we get for him? A 4th or 5th??? We bother? He is way more valuable to us than a 4th round pick.

46. Les Canayens says:

Blake Geoffrion called up. Louis Leblanc sent down.

▭ ◌ ▭ ◌ ▭ ◌ ▭ ◌ ▭
    Scouting is subjective.

47. ProHabs says:

What a disappointement. The one year where we are totally out of it, have a chance to sell and get some picks or prospects and all we do is trade AK46. I am sure there were team out there interested in Travis MOen (even though he is hurt right now). But the 3 dorks could not pull the trigger on any other deals.

I bet the 3 dorks have a nice, small smurf in mind to take over for AK.

• habs17 says:

the teams a disaster and it starts at the top, Geoff Molson should not be owner

President of the Scott Gomez Fan Club

(I support Scott Gomez)

• SmartDog says:

The Molsons f-d up this team last time. What makes you think it’s gonna be different.

————————————-
        Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• strunzo says:

In which phone booth are you having Mr. Gomez next Fan Club Meeting?

• ProHabs says:

After listening to the Goat, I just can’t wait until we get a GM that doesn’t call everyone Mr. I mean really, what normal person goes around calling everyone Mr. The guy is a bafoon.

• SPATS says:

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH!

48. habs17 says:

we shoud of traded GM’s today, also deadline day is the most overrated day of the year

President of the Scott Gomez Fan Club

(I support Scott Gomez)

49. habsgod says:

have they talked to Brad Staubitz. about joining our team and about playing in montreal? i haven’t heard anything on tsn or sportsnet ,have any of the rest of my fellow habs fan hear anything

50. habs17 says:

Has P.G been fired yet

President of the Scott Gomez Fan Club

(I support Scott Gomez)

51. jon514 says:

If Gauthier were any kind of leader, he would take the blame for this garbage season onto himself in an effort to insulate the players. Montreal is screaming for blood and Gauthier has smugly pointed the finger at his assistant coach, his coach and now his players. He denies any responsibility but expects his players to be the model of accountability. What a weasel!

JOKER: “This season has shown Montreal your true colors, unfortunately. AK46, he’s just the beginning. And, and as for your so-called plan? Molson has no jurisdiction. He’ll find you, and make you squeal. I know the squealers when I see them and…
    [points at Gauthier] ”

52. SmartDog says:

Gauthier is so useless it makes me want to puke.

When you listen to most other GMs they say interesting things. They answer questions – or are frank about why they won’t or can’t. They show their thinking. They praise their players. They talk like normal people.

Gauthier says like he’s from mars. He says NOTHING and he sounds condescending as he does it. He should be reviewing vegetarian restaurants, not running a hockey team (badly).

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!