McMahon Stadium’s Heritage Classic rink takes shape. The Canadiens and Calgary Flames will practice on this sheet Saturday, then play for real on Sunday.
Sandford, NHLI via Getty Images
Quick news roundup from today:
• Defenceman James Wisniewski, savagely cut by a puck Thursday in Edmonton, rested in bed at his team’s hotel in Calgary and didn’t participate in a mid-afternoon practice at the Saddledome. But Wisniewski is expected to skate Saturday morning, and a decision will be made after that whether he might be able to play in Sunday’s Heritage Classic.
• Defenceman Hal Gill almost surely will return after a four-game, upper-body-injury absence, while forward Michael Cammalleri, out for 12 with a separated shoulder, will be back.
• Forward Mathieu Darche is listed as day-to-day with what might be a nagging groin injury, though the Canadiens aren’t specifying.
• Centre Tomas Plekanec didn’t practice Friday, but rode a stationary bike and did some significant stretching off-ice outside the dressing room.
• Defenceman Paul Mara practised with his new/old teammates, having been acquired from Anaheim in the wee hours of Thursday morning.