Audio: Gill, Cammy return; Wiz might play

McMahon Stadium’s Heritage Classic rink takes shape. The Canadiens and Calgary Flames will practice on this sheet Saturday, then play for real on Sunday.
Dave
Sandford, NHLI via Getty Images

AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Carey Price | Price again | Hal Gill | Paul Mara | Kirk Muller

Quick news roundup from today:

• Defenceman James Wisniewski, savagely cut by a puck Thursday in Edmonton, rested in bed at his team’s hotel in Calgary and didn’t participate in a mid-afternoon practice at the Saddledome. But Wisniewski is expected to skate Saturday morning, and a decision will be made after that whether he might be able to play in Sunday’s Heritage Classic.

• Defenceman Hal Gill almost surely will return after a four-game, upper-body-injury absence, while forward Michael Cammalleri, out for 12 with a separated shoulder, will be back.

• Forward Mathieu Darche is listed as day-to-day with what might be a nagging groin injury, though the Canadiens aren’t specifying.

• Centre Tomas Plekanec didn’t practice Friday, but rode a stationary bike and did some significant stretching off-ice outside the dressing room.

• Defenceman Paul Mara practised with his new/old teammates, having been acquired from Anaheim in the wee hours of Thursday morning.

1. andrewberkshire says:

Hahahahahahahahaha My god, diaf.

2. drivefor25 says:

I like Setoguchi – young, fast, skilled and a friendly cap hit. He had that great season in SJ and then ran into injury problems. Perhaps it’s possible to package AK, a prospect like Maxwell and a 4th or 5th pick for someone who can play the wing and score.

I’ll throw out two more names – Voracek from Columbus and Chris Stewart from Colorado. But there’s a reason Gauthier’s the GM and I’m not! I trust PG to do the right thing for the team going forward.

Fan since ’71

3. Brocas Brain says:

well the Leafs do have 25M in cap space next year….they could easily sign a couple major free agents and be a playoff team much like the habs signing 6 major free agents 2 summers ago.

4. CanadienBoy says:

Hey Souray still there ,with Mara for pairing

5. oshawahabsfan says:

I’ll take your word for it, I’m sure you’ve got access the rest of us don’t

6. kordic says:

If the wiz Is taking pictures of himself, he does not have a concussion. I would go to work, If I felt i could, that’s my point. I’m sure the wiz will be in the lineup and if he’s not, why the hell is he taking pics of himself?

“The ghosts are gone. The Canadiens have two choices, try and win the cup or be French Canadian” – Ken Dryden

7. AndyF says:

Ok, how much money would you take to risk getting Lou Gehrig’s disease later on in life?   There’s growing evidence that repeated concussions can lead to ALS.    Tell me, just how indestructible do you feel?

AndyF

8. oshawahabsfan says:

The only one who can tell that is Cammy and the medical/physio staff, he knows if he’s ready to go more than someone watching a practice. Players don’t always go full bore in practice with their shooting

9. kordic says:

If you can’t play. Don’t!!, but don’t tell me Tangay couldn’t play, this guy has a rep of being one of the smallest wimps in the game.

10. fbkj says:

its not that black and white

11. fbkj says:

oooohhhhhh ….

12. The Cat says:

Not as tough as Grabovski. The guy didnt miss a shift… But seriously, we shouldnt glorify players that play through imjuries, or chastise them when they wont play when hurt like Tanguay in Mtl.

13. Say Ash says:

You’re right! I forgot FrankenMoen missed a game. P*ssy.

14. kordic says:

The wiz should play. He will be wearing a full face shield. I would be very surprised if he didn’t.

15. The Cat says:

Is there bad blood between the two?

16. punkster says:

So just what the hell am I supposed to do with all this potato salad I made for the party Sunday? Now NOBODY will show up.

***Subbang!!!***

17. oshawahabsfan says:

Just like Washington last year with all their offensive force… whooooops

18. Former Jets Fan says:

My view of the Lightning is that they’re totally unpredictable, so I’m going to shy away from making any.  Their goal differential must drive oddsmakers crazy!

19. TomNickle says:

And feels like skating.

20. Storm Man says:

You know as well as i do he is not even 90 percent.

21. fbkj says:

just hopin hes actually fully healed

22. LA Loyalist says:

Eric? Crap, I was thinking Carl.

23. TomNickle says:

They don’t have a chance.  No defense other than the guy they just got, no goaltending if Roloson so much as tires.

24. oshawahabsfan says:

Kostopolous is in Calgary, we’ll see him Sunday

25. The Cat says:

Theres no insulting Yzerman on the Brewer trade. Clear TB win.

26. larisalapointe says:

Remember in the beginning of the season when other teams were making these “big” acquisitions?

Gonchar to Ottawa. Versteeg to Toronto. WOW, and according to the “media” and some fans, these two teams were to be greatly improved and scary good , and the poor Habs were getting left behind…..Yeah right.

Whatever PG does, I trust the guy. The problem/good thing is he is the total opposite of Burke not saying a word about what he’s up to, so everyone just makes things up.

27. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Perhaps you are overestimating the impact Eric Brewer would have just a bit?

28. fbkj says:

wait you mean, some players dont want to play here? they should read HIO to get a guage as to how much were not hypercrical over every decision anybody associated with the team… maybe that’ll convince him…

29. forskis says:

For those of you whining about not getting Brewer and think that PG dropped the ball on him…Brewer has an NTC in his contract…if PG did ask about him yesterday, then Brewer probably did the following:  “Montreal?  Please look at my NTC….Tampa Bay wants me?  What NTC?”

You can’t blame PG for a player probably exercising his contractual rights.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

30. ABHabsfan says:

Habs really missed the boat on Brewer. 3rd and a prospect? Depending on the quality of the prospect, this is pretty cheap. Montreal clearly has trouble on defense and at some time you have to do something to address the issue. We can all go one and one about “what if we didn’t have the injuries” and so forth and we all hear about planning for the future and don’t trade prospects or picks. At some point the future has to be now and you have to poop or get off the pot. We have been waiting 18 years for our team to be re-built so my question is this: WHEN? What is the year when all this patience comes to fruition? Perpetual mediocrity is not why we are Hab fans. We expect better, so when is our management going to pick up the torch and hold it too the height that this legendary organization demands? Or should we all just be more patient…

31. Pattyice says:

well maybe if the wiz comes back it will fire this team up because last night was awful to watch and all five of the oilers fans sitting behind me(the only ones in the whole rink) can kiss my a$$they win their 9th home game of the year and its like they one the cup!

32. Laramy87 says:

Teams in the east are beefing up. Boston, Tampa, Philly…. PG needs to do something or it can be a playoff race.

We need another d-man, but who’s left? No way we are giving up MaxPac for Phillips.

33. _Habsoloutly_ says:

I feel bad for the Wiz.  He must have been pretty stoked to play in the heritage classic. Sucks for him if he can’t play.  I’m sure if there’s one iota of a possibility he can play, he’ll be there.

34. Storm Man says:

Great pick-up by the Habs :) and to think some on here think PG is doing nothing.

35. Former Jets Fan says:

And if TB doesn’t make it out of the first round?  And if Brewer doesn’t re-sign there in the off-season?  Honestly, who declares clear winners and losers within an hour of a trade happening?