Audio: Gill, Cammy return; Wiz might play

McMahon Stadium’s Heritage Classic rink takes shape. The Canadiens and Calgary Flames will practice on this sheet Saturday, then play for real on Sunday.
Dave
Sandford, NHLI via Getty Images

AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Carey Price | Price again | Hal Gill | Paul Mara | Kirk Muller

Quick news roundup from today:

• Defenceman James Wisniewski, savagely cut by a puck Thursday in Edmonton, rested in bed at his team’s hotel in Calgary and didn’t participate in a mid-afternoon practice at the Saddledome. But Wisniewski is expected to skate Saturday morning, and a decision will be made after that whether he might be able to play in Sunday’s Heritage Classic.

• Defenceman Hal Gill almost surely will return after a four-game, upper-body-injury absence, while forward Michael Cammalleri, out for 12 with a separated shoulder, will be back.

• Forward Mathieu Darche is listed as day-to-day with what might be a nagging groin injury, though the Canadiens aren’t specifying.

• Centre Tomas Plekanec didn’t practice Friday, but rode a stationary bike and did some significant stretching off-ice outside the dressing room.

• Defenceman Paul Mara practised with his new/old teammates, having been acquired from Anaheim in the wee hours of Thursday morning.

1. Storm Man says:

Great pick-up by the Habs :) and to think some on here think PG is doing nothing.

2. Former Jets Fan says:

And if TB doesn’t make it out of the first round?  And if Brewer doesn’t re-sign there in the off-season?  Honestly, who declares clear winners and losers within an hour of a trade happening?

3. samTHEman says:

Woooops. lol. hey…one can dream

4. Storm Man says:

Sheraton Eau Claire or the Palliser.

5. Former Jets Fan says:

Brewer is on the wrong side of 30, and had spent the past couple seasons prior to this one ravaged by injuries.  Prior to this season, he’d only been a ’plus’ player once in 11 seasons – granted, he’s been on some awful teams.  Furthermore, Brewer would not have addressed the ‘team toughness deficiency’ the Habs are purported to have.  Of all the defencemen rumoured to be available, he was the one I coveted the most, but I’m not the least bit upset – or surprised – he didn’t end up in Montreal.

And yes, take the last line of your post to heart.

6. TomNickle says:

I don’t consider him a prospect Andrew.  That’s all.

7. JIMVINNY says:

From out 4 weeks to day-to-day.  That tells me he’s TOUGH.  Or it just tells me that the idiot that reported 4 weeks went out to lunch several years ago and never came back.

8. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Brian Burke’s press conference.  Best quote:

“Draft picks have never been a priority.”

haha…what a statement for a GM to make.

9. oshawahabsfan says:

Depends on if there’s fractures or not. Also the location of it was close enough that the swelling may effect the vision out of the left eye. If neither of these are a problem, he could play with a full cage for a while. We need him back asap. You can notice the difference in the teams breakout and of course the powerplay when he’s out. He has pretty good poise with the puck while taking it up ice, and he’s a damn good passer

10. oshawahabsfan says:

It’s been a month now, he should be pretty close to 100% With the accessibility to rehabbing and physio specialists these guys have I wouldn’t be suprised if he’s more less ready to go

11. SeriousFan09 says:

That’s the worst thing a GM could ever say. When your team’s in the toilet, you need draft picks and as many as you can get.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

12. kordic says:

Wiz is tough!!  unlike some other hab players……

If he can strap on his skates, he will play.

Boston, Tampa both got stronger, PG aka Bob Gainey still sitting on his hands whether or not to get rid of anyone except 13 and 31 to get better.

My prediction and opinion. No miracle run for the Habs this year, lucky if we get in. I feel sorry for most of the boys, with all these injuries it doesn’t look like management gives a rats a@#.

“The ghosts are gone. The Canadiens have two choices, try and win the cup or be French Canadian” – Ken Dryden

13. Habsone says:

Can’t wait!! Going to the game Sunday!!!

14. observer says:

of all the defensemen moved the last 2 weeks alone mara is tyhe worst one acquired maybe people expect more when you have salary cap room and your team needs help bad?

15. The Cat says:

TB will have a deep run I predict. Semis at least.

16. TomNickle says:

Yeah, who needs draft picks when you have an aging roster and not a single elite prospect on defense.

17. samTHEman says:

Gomez –> CAR for Kostopoulos and 2nd rd pick

18. gloveside says:

Looking forward to game with toques!

19. AndyF says:

First, I was replying to your tirade on Tanguay.   Second… how good are you at admitting you might be wrong on this?

If you need more links, just let me know, ok?   I’ll wait for you to build up some courage to say it clearly.

AndyF

20. Pattyice says:

well maybe if the wiz comes back it will fire this team up because last night was awful to watch and all five of the oilers fans sitting behind me(the only ones in the whole rink) can kiss my a$$they win their 9th home game of the year and its like they one the cup!

21. Laramy87 says:

Teams in the east are beefing up. Boston, Tampa, Philly…. PG needs to do something or it can be a playoff race.

We need another d-man, but who’s left? No way we are giving up MaxPac for Phillips.

22. _Habsoloutly_ says:

I feel bad for the Wiz.  He must have been pretty stoked to play in the heritage classic. Sucks for him if he can’t play.  I’m sure if there’s one iota of a possibility he can play, he’ll be there.

23. The Cat says:

When the team has a chance, you got to go for it.

24. andrewberkshire says:

Hahahahahahahahaha My god, diaf.

25. drivefor25 says:

I like Setoguchi – young, fast, skilled and a friendly cap hit. He had that great season in SJ and then ran into injury problems. Perhaps it’s possible to package AK, a prospect like Maxwell and a 4th or 5th pick for someone who can play the wing and score.

I’ll throw out two more names – Voracek from Columbus and Chris Stewart from Colorado. But there’s a reason Gauthier’s the GM and I’m not! I trust PG to do the right thing for the team going forward.

Fan since ’71

26. Storm Man says:

Wait till someone hits him… He is not close, friends texed me from the Dome and said when he shot the puck you could tell he was not 100 percent.

27. SeriousFan09 says:

Never believe an injury rumour RE the Habs, otherwise we’d still be waiting for Max-Pac to return from IR. When the Gazette beat guys call it, that’s when you know the report is accurate.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

28. fbkj says:

thanks for that mr. poopie pants >:(

29. Brocas Brain says:

well the Leafs do have 25M in cap space next year….they could easily sign a couple major free agents and be a playoff team much like the habs signing 6 major free agents 2 summers ago.

30. CanadienBoy says:

Hey Souray still there ,with Mara for pairing

31. JIMVINNY says:

I predict that Regehr lands a solid hit on Cammy in the first, and Cammy misses the rest of the year due to season-ending shoulder surgery.

32. oshawahabsfan says:

I’ll take your word for it, I’m sure you’ve got access the rest of us don’t

33. Storm Man says:

You’re asking alot from him.

34. kordic says:

If the wiz Is taking pictures of himself, he does not have a concussion. I would go to work, If I felt i could, that’s my point. I’m sure the wiz will be in the lineup and if he’s not, why the hell is he taking pics of himself?

35. Storm Man says:

Time to make a Kool Aid run.