Audio: Gill, Cammy return; Wiz might play

McMahon Stadium’s Heritage Classic rink takes shape. The Canadiens and Calgary Flames will practice on this sheet Saturday, then play for real on Sunday.
Dave
Sandford, NHLI via Getty Images

AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Carey Price | Price again | Hal Gill | Paul Mara | Kirk Muller

Quick news roundup from today:

• Defenceman James Wisniewski, savagely cut by a puck Thursday in Edmonton, rested in bed at his team’s hotel in Calgary and didn’t participate in a mid-afternoon practice at the Saddledome. But Wisniewski is expected to skate Saturday morning, and a decision will be made after that whether he might be able to play in Sunday’s Heritage Classic.

• Defenceman Hal Gill almost surely will return after a four-game, upper-body-injury absence, while forward Michael Cammalleri, out for 12 with a separated shoulder, will be back.

• Forward Mathieu Darche is listed as day-to-day with what might be a nagging groin injury, though the Canadiens aren’t specifying.

• Centre Tomas Plekanec didn’t practice Friday, but rode a stationary bike and did some significant stretching off-ice outside the dressing room.

• Defenceman Paul Mara practised with his new/old teammates, having been acquired from Anaheim in the wee hours of Thursday morning.

1. AndyF says:

Ok, how much money would you take to risk getting Lou Gehrig’s disease later on in life?   There’s growing evidence that repeated concussions can lead to ALS.    Tell me, just how indestructible do you feel?

AndyF

2. fbkj says:

lol dude read before you reply this isnt about mara ya ding dong

3. oshawahabsfan says:

The only one who can tell that is Cammy and the medical/physio staff, he knows if he’s ready to go more than someone watching a practice. Players don’t always go full bore in practice with their shooting

4. andrewberkshire says:

Hedman isn’t elite? Since when Tom?

5. kordic says:

If you can’t play. Don’t!!, but don’t tell me Tangay couldn’t play, this guy has a rep of being one of the smallest wimps in the game.

“The ghosts are gone. The Canadiens have two choices, try and win the cup or be French Canadian” – Ken Dryden

6. oshawahabsfan says:

Jinx :p

7. fbkj says:

Pants Buzzed

cammy’s back

8. andrewberkshire says:

Kostopoulos is in Calgary now, not Carolina.

9. fbkj says:

its not that black and white

10. shiram says:

maybe he forgot about the salary cap?

11. fbkj says:

oooohhhhhh ….

12. The Cat says:

Not as tough as Grabovski. The guy didnt miss a shift… But seriously, we shouldnt glorify players that play through imjuries, or chastise them when they wont play when hurt like Tanguay in Mtl.

13. Storm Man says:

I guess now I will burn my tickets….. thanks for the ending.

14. Say Ash says:

You’re right! I forgot FrankenMoen missed a game. P*ssy.

15. kordic says:

Never believe anything coming out of the Quebecois side of reporting. they don’t know jack. they like to whine like the province, but they still want the Canadian dollar and all the perks of being Canadian. The 70’s are long gone, but some things will never change.

16. kordic says:

The wiz should play. He will be wearing a full face shield. I would be very surprised if he didn’t.

17. The Cat says:

Is there bad blood between the two?

18. Keith says:

The Wiz may play on sunday? WOW! What a tough hombre! GO WIZ GO!!!

19. kordic says:

Burke used to be a lawyer. Enough said.

20. punkster says:

So just what the hell am I supposed to do with all this potato salad I made for the party Sunday? Now NOBODY will show up.

21. Say Ash says:

If the Wiz plays on Sunday, is that more impressive than Moen or Gorges last year? Rank the three…

22. oshawahabsfan says:

Just like Washington last year with all their offensive force… whooooops

23. Former Jets Fan says:

My view of the Lightning is that they’re totally unpredictable, so I’m going to shy away from making any.  Their goal differential must drive oddsmakers crazy!

24. SeriousFan09 says:

How to Twist a Knife, by Peter Chiarelli, from James Mirtle’s Twitter

Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli on why he didn’t mind giving up a first-round pick: “We have another first-round pick that should be fairly good.”

25. TomNickle says:

And feels like skating.

26. Storm Man says:

You know as well as i do he is not even 90 percent.

27. fbkj says:

gorges was playing the next nite

no contest

edit: next game, 2 nites later, argument still stands, less no contest tho

28. ZepFan2 says:

On that note. A blast from the past…

Habs fans, you’ll love Josh Gorges for about two minutes. Good riddance.

As far as giving up a first rounder, we have NJ’s first round pick too, and with a shit draft, it’s not like we lost a lot.

Everybody’s a GM. ;)

———————————————————————— “Young people have seen that a team can play electrifying, fascinating hockey while still behaving like gentlemen.” ~Serge Savard~

29. fbkj says:

just hopin hes actually fully healed

30. LA Loyalist says:

Eric? Crap, I was thinking Carl.

31. kordic says:

Ya! you’re right, Tangay only makes exmillion amount of dollars per year. Why call him a wimpy piece of garbage.

32. The Cat says:

Just cause they make millions doesnt mean that the tradeoff is a lack of quality of life in their future.

33. Say Ash says:

If it were indoors, I’d agree. But the cold weather’s gotta make if harder to endure.

34. TomNickle says:

They don’t have a chance.  No defense other than the guy they just got, no goaltending if Roloson so much as tires.

35. fbkj says:

not takin anything away from moen or the wizz

gorges just strolled back into the game like nothing happened…

36. oshawahabsfan says:

Kostopolous is in Calgary, we’ll see him Sunday

37. kordic says:

This is hockey, not owner of reno depot. If you can play, you should play. Injuries in hockey are part of this tough, grueling sport. Tangay was, and is a piece of glass.

38. fbkj says:

amazing how some people think eh

39. The Cat says:

Theres no insulting Yzerman on the Brewer trade. Clear TB win.

40. ZepFan2 says:

Yeah, I got deja-vu as well.

Oh, and btw, the Habs are doomed…DOOOMED I tell ya’!

41. larisalapointe says:

Remember in the beginning of the season when other teams were making these “big” acquisitions?

Gonchar to Ottawa. Versteeg to Toronto. WOW, and according to the “media” and some fans, these two teams were to be greatly improved and scary good , and the poor Habs were getting left behind…..Yeah right.

Whatever PG does, I trust the guy. The problem/good thing is he is the total opposite of Burke not saying a word about what he’s up to, so everyone just makes things up.

42. Chris F says:

PG is consistent if nothing else. Last year he brought in Moore well before the deadline, that was our deal.

This year he brought in the Wizz, nobody knew, and once again well before the deadline. Mara is simply a band-aid to prevent rookies from playing in important games. They know Mara, and heès a good guy.

PG is not stupid, contrary to what some may believe. He’s not giving up squat to get a middle of the road player. He’ll wait for free agency. I’m sure he loves the young guys. He’s not going to give up picks, and we have no veterans that anyone else would want.

I think our one chance would be to trade the enigma AK for someone in a similar situation who is not really playing to potential, maybe like Setoguchi. Maybe AK and someone else gets us Weiss out of Florida, although he’s a center. Maybe David Booth, but he has a six year deal. But without giving up major talent, were not getting major talent.

43. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Perhaps you are overestimating the impact Eric Brewer would have just a bit?

44. fbkj says:

wait you mean, some players dont want to play here? they should read HIO to get a guage as to how much were not hypercrical over every decision anybody associated with the team… maybe that’ll convince him…

45. andrewberkshire says:

I dunno, Gorges got it in the helmet, he’s tough as nails but if Wiz plays in Calgary I think that’s even tougher than Gorges.

46. forskis says:

For those of you whining about not getting Brewer and think that PG dropped the ball on him…Brewer has an NTC in his contract…if PG did ask about him yesterday, then Brewer probably did the following:  “Montreal?  Please look at my NTC….Tampa Bay wants me?  What NTC?”

You can’t blame PG for a player probably exercising his contractual rights.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

47. ABHabsfan says:

Habs really missed the boat on Brewer. 3rd and a prospect? Depending on the quality of the prospect, this is pretty cheap. Montreal clearly has trouble on defense and at some time you have to do something to address the issue. We can all go one and one about “what if we didn’t have the injuries” and so forth and we all hear about planning for the future and don’t trade prospects or picks. At some point the future has to be now and you have to poop or get off the pot. We have been waiting 18 years for our team to be re-built so my question is this: WHEN? What is the year when all this patience comes to fruition? Perpetual mediocrity is not why we are Hab fans. We expect better, so when is our management going to pick up the torch and hold it too the height that this legendary organization demands? Or should we all just be more patient…

48. andrewberkshire says:

Agreed 100% with this comment.

49. Danno says:

Let’s face it. Winning has never been a priority for the Leafs. Truculence is all.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

50. fbkj says:

his wife took the picture

Just received this pic from James Wisniewski’s wife. She says he is doing fine and is in good spirits. James and Nicole thank you all for your support.”

hes still had his jersey on dude

hes was on a frigging stretcher

didnt say he had a concussion btw, just listed a few common hockey related injuries

51. kordic says:

Firstly, you don’t get LG from a concussion. Secondly, the wiz does not have one. Thirdly, the wiz will play sunday.

52. fbkj says:

wowowowowowow we dont all have college degrees… could you please make your posts simpler, all this thought and nuance is making me hate big city liberals…

53. Former Jets Fan says:

Ooooh!  That there’s some bulletin board material, the seldom-heard GM trash-talk.

Perhaps the Kaberle deal will be addition by subtraction and Komisarek will reassert himself as an All-Star and lead them up the standings.

Go Laffs Go!  Playoffs!  Playoffs!

54. fbkj says:

but thats different from what you said

would you go to work with a sprained ankle and a concussion?

55. Strabo says:

QOTD

“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.” Albert Einstein

56. kordic says:

Listen! I’m not a professional hockey player, but to do my job, I have to go to work because my team needs me. If I can work, I work and that should go for anybody in any profession, especially millionaire hockey players.

57. Strabo says:

BAHAHAHAHAHA … That’s right I’m laughing at you, and you know who you are.

58. oshawahabsfan says:

Yeah a guy who was crucial to Colorado’s cup win didn’t have what it took to play in the playoffs. If you know you’re not going to be a help to your team, you’re better off not playing. That’s what the situation was, nothing more

59. oshawahabsfan says:

Ha, brilliant!

60. Former Jets Fan says:

Am I to assume you’re the arbiter of who can or cannot play?  Are you a medical doctor, surgeon or accredited physiotherapist with access to the team?  Please, state your credentials.

61. The Cat says:

lol

62. oshawahabsfan says:

Yeah I wonder who San Jose would be interested in trading, I’m guessing guys like him and perhaps Pavelski as well. Either way I’m not in favour of PG making anything but a minor move. We have to be realistic here, we’re missing the two defenceman who would be most important in us being contenders, Markov for his all-around game, but especially how he can run the PP and our offence when he’s on the ice. Gorges for shutting down the oppositions best. Without those two, there isn’t much point in throwing away assets for a player who may only be here for the remainder of this season. If a deal is made it has to be for the longer term

63. fbkj says:

its my moab for all internetz lulzwars :)

64. SPATS says:

Agree, like the idea of AK for Setoguchi too. Also believe Moen could be used on D short term.

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH!

65. NightRyder says:

Don’t see us doing anything other than a minor tweak at the deadline.

One guy I wouldn’t mind adding for 20 games – Zenon Konopka of the Islanders.

He’s exceptional in the faceoff circle and will fight anyone. As a spare part at a cheap price (and given our candy-ass ways), he could be useful.

66. Bleu blanc rouge says:

Renaud Lavoie ” Wisniewski out four weeks with fractures” What an Idiot!!!

67. habsfanincgy says:

Anyone know which hotel Habs are staying at? Thanks!

68. savethepuck says:

We are definitely a different team with Gill, Cammy and maybe The Wiz

69. savethepuck says:

It is good to know some people know how the business works

70. forskis says:

Egads…look at the details…Brewer has an NTC in his contract…PG could have thrown 10 1st rounders at St. Louis and Brewer could still have said no as is his contractual right.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

71. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Martin expects Gill and Cammy to play.  Tweeted by Mr. Stubbs

72. Rainrocket16 says:

No wonder the Blues continually suck! However Stewart is a beast and is something I hoped we could have acquired.

73. oshawahabsfan says:

According to TSN 2nd intermission, Chris Neil has submitted a list of ten teams he would not accept a trade to, Montreal is not on the list suprisingly. Also suggested Montreal may be in talks with Kovalev as it wouldn’t take much to get him and the previous chemistry and strong play with Pleks. Just passing on the word, not saying I agree with any of this

74. habs99 says:

I wonder if the below than expectation performance of Halak has caused the Blues to shake things up?

75. habs99 says:

Must be, the leafs made a trade.  Its breaking news all over the city here.

76. SeriousFan09 says:

Draft picks Details:

• STL also sends conditional 1st rounder in 2011 or 2012 to COL and COL sends conditional 2nd rounder in 2011 or 2012 to STL.
    • Condition on STL 1st rounder is it’s top 10 protected. In other words, if STL 1st rder is top 10 this year, COL gets 2012 pick instead.

77. ZepFan2 says:

Not much to say to this post except…hahahahahahahahahahaha

You sound like chicken little. It’s f-ing hilarious.

Let’s here some of your whopper trades PG should do, Mr. GM.

78. Rainrocket16 says:

You can’t be serious! the Blues have almost no defense and very little Offense. Why would Halak (who has struggled) and who has hardly any help be the cause of this trade?

79. christophor says:

unless johnson starts to show up like he was supposed to, the blues took this one.

80. SeriousFan09 says:

I think it was a little early to close the book on Johnson by St Louis, yes he hasn’t raised his profile like Toews or Backstrom, or even J. Staal or Kessel but someone his age, his size, going 1st in the draft. St. Louis could have had him and Pieterangelo as their pillars on defence for the next 10-15 years.

81. habs99 says:

I did say that Halak’s performance has been below than expectation.  When your number 1 goalie is not winning games and you have struggled for so long as the blues have, then somethign has to give.  To me, trading Johnson is a shocker…If I knew he was avaialable, i wish we could have gotten him.

82. Rainrocket16 says:

Yeah, Johnson would have been nice. We may have lost someone dear for him though.

While losing Wiz would be absolutely devastating to our The System, it is still not nearly as devastating as losing MAB.

84. christophor says:

Good point. They didn’t get size back on defence. This might be a Johnson vs Stewert thing in the end unless Shat blows everyone out of the water.

85. SeriousFan09 says:

The whole deal just seems a bit odd for me. Both teams gave something the other team needed Stewart was a guy who could be a top power forward and Johnson was a guy who could be a No. 1 defencemen, it seems they both traded for and got an organizational need, but now they don’t have the guy who was filling an organizational need before this.

86. otter649 says:

Now that Boston has tweaked its roster it appears Coach Julien better have a good playoff especially after last season blowing a 3-0 games lead against The Flyers as well as being up 3-0 in game 7 if The Bruins don’t make at least the conference final it will/could be bye bye coach & possibly The GM……

87. SeriousFan09 says:

You don’t fire a GM who’s locked down Zdeno Chara and got two lottery picks for a guy who was trying to squeeze you for cash. Julien I can see getting the boot but Chiarelli has made enough strong moves to stay employed.

88. SeriousFan09 says:

Jacques Lemaire got out of the way of someone trying to play offence-first? Well I’ll be damned it’s not even the rapture.

89. _Habsoloutly_ says:

whatever helps you sleep at night.

90. sprague cleghorn says:

Beliveau is looking good in his usual seat up behind the bench.  Maybe once Lemaire is done his coaching gig in Jersey, they could be our new one-two punch at centre.  Steve Penney looked alert on L’Antichambre tonight.  And I hear Dickie Moore is pretty much healed up from that car crash a few years back.

91. LA Loyalist says:

See him live if you can. He is truly special.

Kovalev for Gomez straight up.

93. Laramy87 says:

hahah http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=354441

I liked the comments at the bottom, typical jealous Leaf and Canucks fans…

94. SeriousFan09 says:

Talk about your shake-ups!!!

TSN’s Bob Mackenzie via twitter, quoting the St. Louis Blue’s beat writer for The St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

“The Blues have traded Erik Johnson and Jay McClement to Colorado for Stewart and Shattenkirk. Draft picks included.”

Blues just traded the guy they drafted 1st overall in 2006 and a 3rd-line centre for COL’s leading power forward and to this point, their best rookie defencemen. Johnson represents the only 1st overall pick to be traded from a team that was not Atlanta (Kovalchuk, Patrik Stefan) for over 10 years.

95. Nine1one says:

Probably better, I hear he’s playing better defensivelly

96. Trisomy 21 says:

I think the thought process was at this point in the season, we can’t afford rookie mistakes, and although mara is no Markov, he came cheap. I was upset at first because I think Nash needs to be challenged to develope, he’d pretty much reached his AHL potential, but he needs the first half of the season to become… seasoned. Like Weber and like Subban… sort of..

Though i bet it helps that he’s pretty big too

97. db says:

Now that it’s obvious which teams are actually trying to win, where do y’all think we stand?  Do we have an identity as buyers or sellers?

And since it doesnt seem to matter anymore if interdivision teams trade with each other… would you go for Spezza?  Maybe a 1st, AK and Carle…

98. Mark C says:

Yup he’s got him back to where he was for the first 600+ games in his career.

99. oshawahabsfan says:

Yay 1-0 Sens. For tonight Go Sens Go haha

Edit; tie game now Boooo!

100. HabFab says:

Bugs is syndicated…cool!!!

101. Bugs says:

What the hell, I was about to count Jimmy out and now, it’s DON’T count Jimmy out? Is there any order in this place whatsoever? Goin off all half-cocked for a widdle puck in someone’s delicate VEE-zage all of a sudden.

I mean, this can’t be the first time in this game that someone’s played with a fractured face, pull yourselves together, why dontchas. Just let the guy walk it off in peace, ferpetessakes. Squirt some crazy glue in the corners of his eye-socket and should be good to go. Dislodged sinus cavity, cerebral leakage, so what? Get on the bike for an hour and good to go, man. Good to go.

Cuz mother-henning the guy like this is a little embarrassing, to be quite frank. It’s stuff like this that gets us labelled “pushovers” across the League, you know.

For a wee puck in the face, jeez louise…dentures are better anyway, he comes out a winner at the end of the day. He’s good to go.

102. Sheldon says:

Man, Lemaire really has Kovalchuk playing some serious hockey!

103. observer says:

as i said lots of decent defensemen were moved and gauthier got mara! and pitts and wash havent yet made their expected big deals. thats why gauthier is a 30 year LOSER in the NHL!

104. aemarchand11 says:

I personally love pasta.

Go Habs Go! 2010-2011

105. observer says:

beliveau must be sick of seeing this loser gm running the mediocre team. in his day they were always the team to be feared. now the worst hockey teams like oilers or islanders cant wait to play them.

106. Cool Ice Price says:

Awe … Thanks

107. light_n_tasty says:

As bad as he’s been, his 14 goals would be good for 3rd on the team.

108. habstrinifan says:

He scored tonight..

109. SPATS says:

U mention Cammy in your first paragraph then leave him out of all 4 lines… wassup wit dat?

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH!

110. observer says:

i didnt translate that one part of his article – google did.

111. Bill H says:

I think he traded Cammy to get AK27.

112. SpankyDriscoll says:

i still have tix left below cost. 403 700 7080.

and to those going, meetup at The Alcove around 1pm on sunday – directly beside the Banff Trail ctrain station. check out habs fans in calgary on facebook!

113. G-Man says:

Opposing views and all call them trolls. We are not all blind faith fanboys, ffs.

Wow. Only you caught that. How’s about:

AK27-Plex-Cammy

Gio-Gomez-AK46

Pouliot-DD-Pax

White-Halpern-Moen

115. observer says:

he’s still there “advising his former assistant”.

116. observer says:

an odd deal? start with the mara deal – cant get more unbelievable than that – except we are talking a gm who has been a loser for all 30 years he’s been in the league. how he ever got such a job is odd to say the least.

117. WindsorHab-10 says:

Feels like I’m reading from a Leafs site with all the ridiculous/stupid comments on this one.

118. habstrinifan says:

Today I am protesting ANY POST that calls people who are ‘questioning’ the management of this team for INCOMPETENCE, or in the very least LETHARGY  in the face of all the evidence that our team needed HELP… and very specific and not so costly HELP. No one here has been really crying for a blockbuster trade. We are only asking that PG gives the team a fair chance of success in the playoffs.

Look at the posts re Halak and the Blues. Regardless of which side of the Halak spcetrum you fall on, there are certain elements of the story which demonstrate well why I accuse our management of lethargy.

St Louis undoubtedly trade for Kalk becaus ethey thought he would be as effective as he wa sin the playoffs.

Injuries factored in, Halak did not play well.

So instead of sitting on their hands and hoping for a ‘return to form’  they have gone out and made some decisions for the future.

Every scribe and his brother could have foreseen the habs needs. Not one has been addressed.

119. WestHab says:

if Kovalev comes our way the deal should include anger managment classes for fans and staff. Remember no Bob Gainey left to stroll with him.

- Who will be at the Heritage Classic? See me in Section “i” row 20 seat 20.

120. duffy says:

Right on , It doesn,t take a lot of brains to figure out you need help when your team loses to three celler dwellers in a ten day stretch.

121. punkster says:

Good one, HH. And we could bring back Breeze, Sergei, Laps, Higgins and oh..oh…Greg Stewart!

122. SeriousFan09 says:

Still recovering from last reports, there was no damage to his extremities from reports so he’s likely going to ease back into things, may rejoin his team for the final bit of the season.

Kristo projects to be a potential Top-6 forward, he needs to work on his shooting (goals are way down this season) but the most complimentary thing I read about him is not only is Kristo fast but he can complete his plays and decisions when moving at top speed.

123. Bill H says:

Boy, the trolls are out tonight in force.  Full moon?

124. observer says:

ottawa unloaded a bunch of players habs could have used at the price that was paid and most to eastern conference teams. a couple of trades with boston in the very same division. but did gauthier leave ottawa on bitter terms when he was fired? he as gainey for the most part only trade with western teams and ones they are associated with. EXCEPT FOR DEALS WITH FORMER TEAMATE SATHER, gaineyliked trading with  dallas, gauthier st .louis where his man worked and anaheim where he was. is ottawa a non-starter when trades are involved with gauthier cause those players could have helped here bigtime. gainey and gauthier are terrified of making any deal that might go bad so always trade the player away to a city fans will only see play one game a year against the habs. yes! those 2 men play this game to survive in the game. and it sure worked – gainey proved his worth long ago as a player and a gm /coach once but not for a long while gauthier is a 30 year loser in this sport yet he survives and somehow inspite of never making the stanley cup finals with any team, he is gm of the team with the greatest history in the nhl. unreal!

125. oshawahabsfan says:

A little unrelated but, to all you meatheads who thought Grabovski was fine and should be applauded for coming back in that game I suggest watching the Off The Record episode from today. The panel featured Wayne and Keith Primeau. Great panel discussion all around, good to hear some people who know what they’re talking about address the issue and call out Burke for the moron he is

126. habsgod says:

serious fan can you please let me know about danny kristo? is he still suffering from frostbite and will that effect him going down the road  as far as being a really good prospect ? where do you see fitting in on our team ? i see him as a top 6 forward down the road

127. RiverviewCanadien says:

Whatever your true opinion is, I loved the post!

128. _Habsoloutly_ says:

I’m actually wondering if PG got Mara just for muscle for the March 8th game.  I mean does it make sense that he got him as an actual depth d-man?  He isn’t very good and it’s pretty commonly known around NHL circles.

129. Habnofear says:

If Kovalev come’s back to the Habs  I’m DONE!….ENOUGH OF THIS GARBAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kovalev would score more goals in the play-offs, if he was on the Habs, than anyone except possibly Cammy.

Imagine if AK27-Plex-AK46 could rediscover that chemistry they had. Then: Gio-Gomez-Pax, Pouliot-DD-Darche and White-Halpern-Moen could be the other lines.

Trade Pyatt and send Eller to the Hamilton for work on his top 6 game.

The best thing is that nobody would have any expectations so it’d be just for sh*ts and g*ggles. In which case the Habs would win the Cup.

Otherwise we’re doomed I tells ya!!!!

131. RiverviewCanadien says:

Same # of goals as Andrei in less games played. for 1.75 mill more who would have over 50 points with this current team in those games? Kovy is better than Andrei and their current contracts are not that far off.

132. RiverviewCanadien says:

I agree.

If you bring out a tank speech, my weekend will be complete :D

133. WestHab says:

PG got PM because he needed somebody fast. Mara is not the best but he is better than nothing. At the time the deal went down Gill was out. The move filled a desparate sitiuation. The fact that Mara is familar helps with the transition. The move has nothing to loose.

- Who will be at the Heritage Classic? See me in Section “i” row 20 seat 20.

134. CanadienBoy says:

He just translated Bergeron ran ,but forget to say Ottawa will soon find out they traded the wrong guys,Fisher could not be #1 center went Spezza got hurt, but is a great #2 and hard to find and so was Nilley

At this point I’d go for Kovalev. What do Habs have left next draft? Lots it seems.

They traded their compensatory second-round pick in 2011 and a conditional fifth-round pick in 2012 for the Wiz.

The pick the Islanders got however is the one that Montreal was due to get as a result of not signing 2006 first-round pick David Fischer.

They got Paul Mara in exchange for a fifth-round draft pick in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft. The same pick the Habs got for center Maxim Lapierre.

So what would Kovy be worth? A 6th? A 5th maybe? Not a 2nd, no way. A 3rd sounds pricey too. So a 4th it is!

At this stage with all the injuries and the likelihood of the Habs winning the Cup being from slim to nil, I’d say why not go for Kovy. A last hurrah for old times sake.

It’ll be passionate, it’ll be fun, it’s naughty and we know we shouldn’t do it and when it’s all said and done we’ll all feel dirty. Just like old times.

136. andrewberkshire says:

Agreed 100%. As far as I’m concerned that was one of the best trades anyone’s made this year.

137. observer says:

tons of players whose rights are owned by nhl teams have great nights every night. unfortunately the game in te nhl is p-layed this year. and 3 4 years later those guys might not be good enough. but be happy – habs were able to acquire mara! whatta great trade – may now plan the parade! this year. because mara anaheims 9th best defenseman is fresh after resting for over a month off from even playing one game.

The Tinordi situation is pretty straight forward considering the position he plays as well as his size.  He’s going to need lots of time.

I only ask that about Leblanc because of the pressure that will be on him.  If he goes to Hamilton next year, it might be wise to let him stay there for two years the way Pleks did.  We don’t want to create another MaxPac – especially a French-Canadian one!

139. observer says:

hows dustin boyd doing? the guy gauthier got for s kostitsyn?

Carolina wins, Buffalo and the Rangers lose.

141. Cool Ice Price says:

Does that mean U love me :)

142. fbkj says:

why is it that this is the best and most comprehensible post youve ever posted?

143. fbkj says:

cuz the nhl has too many p diddy’s as is #zoom

144. Habnofear says:

Cool Ice ,yer just as important as everyone else around here….

145. RiverviewCanadien says:

Ok.

146. habs001 says:

it may just seem that way but in games where it is better for the habs that the flyers win they lose

147. RiverviewCanadien says:

I never said heavily. I said shopped, and you would be naive to think a deal has not been attempted. If that many teams were interested, I would hope he was already gone, or else, PG is not doing a great job (which to me is not the case entirely, although I feel he has to set the bar a little lower).

Andrei has broke 50p once in his time as a Hab and never played a complete season , who do you think they can get for him then, as a pro right now?

How do you trade a player for someone who is better straight up?

148. RiverviewCanadien says:

Great trade and good find by the org.

Robert – Is Leblanc too old for another year of junior?

It doesn’t strike me that he’s set the world on fire this year.  I also hope that Tinordi plays another year in junior seeing he’s a long term project.

150. RiverviewCanadien says:

Your opinion, fair enough.

151. observer says:

google translation of some of what bergeron said —————– Must stop this carnage and it will move that Pierre Gauthier because his team is in deep trouble. We saw it Thursday when Edmonton has seen the seriousness of the situation. The guys from the AHL can manage the short term but not over a long period.

I think the fans fell on his back when they saw the Habs repatriate Paul Mara. I thought Mara was the seventh defenseman in Anaheim, but this morning I learned that he was the ninth! It is true that the Canadian has sold a fifth round pick, but I think that Gauthier should have opened the pockets of the purse and pay more to get better. By Paul Mara received a Canadian athlete who has damaged the mileage in the body.

152. andrewberkshire says:

Leblanc will be in the AHL next year as he’ll be 20, Tinordi has another year with the Knights.

153. RiverviewCanadien says:

A good pick or a decent prospect, both of which would not have an immediate impact, would be great for Andrei. Kovy would have an immediate impact and score goals.

Hey whatever the org does, I will support, but I don’t think it is a secret that Anrdei has been shopped. PG is just setting the bar too high IMO. 3.25 per year for a goal scorer who does not produce (and I could care less about the hits he lays), is too much. What good does he do for this team at this point?

154. SeriousFan09 says:

Leblanc is eligible to play one more season as an overage player if that’s the road he takes, but I suspect he’s in the A next season. I think he came back pretty frustrated from how the WJC Gold Medal game went (and before that he had an injury issue). At present I’m waiting to see how he does with the Juniors in the final stretch and the playoffs.

Tinordi should be putting in a 2nd OHL season, I don’t doubt that happening at all.

155. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Do we have the cap space to even fit Kovalev?  He has a cap hit of like 5 mill I think.

156. habsgod says:

thanks for the update serious fan i really like the job you do on all of your prospects i like kristo too i think he’s going to be a good 1 i’m also intrigued by bournival

157. SeriousFan09 says:

Or anyone in MIN.

158. CanadienBoy says:

For you guys who can read french check out Bergeron ,s write on RDS very good observation on ours GM and Ottawa

159. RiverviewCanadien says:

It’s going to really suck if MTL loses Sunday.

160. fbkj says:

different roles, darche and halpern play

161. punkster says:

Exactly, there are plenty better long term purchases out there. Even a journeyman 3rd/4th liner would be better in the long term and that’s really my point. Kovy brings, what, explosive potential, lackadaisical effort, magic moves, disinterested shifts? Yes, all that and so much more. Loved him when he was on his game, not so much the rest of the time. And no, I don’t think he’s worth the risk. Give me another Darche or Halpern which is, most likely, what we’ll get before the deadline without mortgaging the future.

162. zedder81 says:

We need forwards. Whatever you can get for Brother Andre, Pyatt and if you can Gomez. I don’t think we need to make major changes. We are what we are.  We’ll need a big Price in the playoffs to go anywhere and a couple of breaks.

163. punkster says:

And we certainly don’t have a big enough helmet.

164. andrewberkshire says:

You don’t get cap relief unless a player is put on LTIR. Only Markov and Gorges are on that, and Wiz took up a lot of Markov’s cap space.

165. RiverviewCanadien says:

Well if Andrei can be traded they could do it.

Camms needs to go on a tear, add Kovy with Pleks and Camms…I am all for it.

166. RiverviewCanadien says:

Which they have too many of…the Habs need GOAL scorers, not ROLE players, they have enough.

167. punkster says:

I don’t discuss Gomez. Not healthy ;)

As for Kovy I think it’s great he can still play and I’m sure he’ll find a nice home someplace where he can live out his waning years and contract putting in 100% effort, 50% of the time. Just not here please. No big deal.

168. fbkj says:

cool put kovalev on the fourth line #win

169. RiverviewCanadien says:

You mean where the slick hands of Moen belong?

170. RiverviewCanadien says:

Andrew, I was not suggesting to trade Andrei to OTT, but lets be honest here. AK46 needs to be traded, I want this kid to succeed, but it just won’t happen in MTL.

If PG can get a decent pick or prospect out of trading him, do it. There is no loss there, what would they miss? Plus he is an RFA. I am not sure on the rules, but what price would they have to offer him next season if they keep him?

Acquiring Kovy would not break the bank, everyone knows that. We also know when paired with Pleks, they are successful. IMO this would not be a high risk deal, it would be worth it. They just grabbed Mara…really, I like him but people complaining about those who feel Kovy would not be worth getting? Come on.

171. RiverviewCanadien says:

Cheese? The guy can fly planes! Whaaat?!

Remember when he would lose his helmet? Lafleur all over again :D

172. RiverviewCanadien says:

yup, 50% of the time is all he puts, nailed it!

173. punkster says:

LOL…can’t deny that one :)

174. RiverviewCanadien says:

But JW has been worth every penny so far.

175. RiverviewCanadien says:

That goal from Feb 19/08, that is how I remember Kovy.

Embarassing? Not a chance, not to me.

176. fbkj says:

i agree with you about trading kostitsyn but aquiring kovalev will only reignite the fromage that he brought to our team

no thank you

177. fbkj says:

and the plane he bought was a used one, p diddy he aint :P

178. RiverviewCanadien says:

yup

179. RiverviewCanadien says:

=)

180. fbkj says:

fair enough, i just have a severe allergy to kovalev… tucker hit loved

rest of his stint… fxcking embarassing

181. andrewberkshire says:

Thing is, if Kostitsyn is traded I would expect the return to be better than Kovalev anyway. So I don’t see the point in it.

182. RiverviewCanadien says:

thank goodness he is not another P Diddy…

183. smiler2729 says:

I thought Pastaboy on 990 was saying Gomez is as good as gone by Monday?

184. fbkj says:

and ive been to too many games where he floated which a goal here or there, doesnt make up for

also his post game interviews are cringeworthy

185. observer says:

if they somehow find some gm they can pay off – then maybe? otherwise no one can be that stupid. however there have been rumors phoenix might want him?

186. SeriousFan09 says:

Agree, it took time to really forge Pacioretty into what he is now, rushing the young players hasn’t paid off. He’ll have company hopefully from Kristo being signed and Avtsin will be playing his 2nd year and be ready to step into a bigger role. I think they’ll have some very good offensive talent there next season.

187. fbkj says:

him not producing isnt an opinion its fact

188. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Wishfull thinking.  Kinda like how I log on here everyday hoping Manapart and Tony have been banned.

189. andrewberkshire says:

I don’t think Kostitsyn has been shopped that heavily to be honest, because many on this site would be very surprised at how many teams would be interested. Kostitsyn will probably get under 4 mil next year no matter what, and that’s a good deal for someone who in all likelihood will rip it up for whoever he gets traded to. Look at Sergei, and he’s nowhere near as good as Andrei. I wouldn’t doubt it at all if the Habs could get a 25 goal, 50 point player for Kostitsyn.

190. RiverviewCanadien says:

Have fans resulted in wishing other teams would lose for the Habs to make the post season?

191. observer says:

#1- i am not making my living as a nhl gm who never ojnce in 30 years even got to the cup finals. i am not cherry picking one specific move or non-move of the 2 flunkies HERE or in gauthiers case EVERYWHERE he has been. i consider this the most prestigious franchise in the league and i am completely baffled how they let a near 60 year old loser all his career be the GM of this team. even more amnazed that fans of the team dont see it after 19 years of not getting to the cup finals. management is the MOST important part of the team. this do nothing duo are their only to last as long as possible and make this big money for as long as they personally can. nothing else! and it has worked for them. and habs are mediocre and lemiex and wash will go out and better themselves in next week pro b  philly too. and you make the sames excuses fior non-action as you have since 2004. and even when they trade like halak, grabovski, ribeiro, etc. they get nothing in return. asa well as the future THEY MORTGAGED ALREADY 2nd rounders for moore, lang, schneider, tanguay, wizniewski who they did not give a new deal too, a #1 also for tanguay – all out of here in less than a year and a #5 for mara now. aqnd you diont see it!

192. RiverviewCanadien says:

So what’s your stance on Gomez then?

See who just scored for OTT, never gave up, 6 goals in his last 8 games…he can still play.

Give me Kovalev for the same price over any Darche or Halpern that has a contract.

193. habs001 says:

the bad news is the 3 players the bruins have picked up have some of their best games vs the habs…by the end of the season the bruins will have 13 players with 10 or more goals…

194. andrewberkshire says:

Trade a 26 year old one a reasonable contract for a 38 year old RFA? No thanks. If Kostitsyn is going to be traded I’d rather bring in a proven scorer who’s still on contract, and not ancient.

195. db says:

I honestly havent given hb a hit once in the last year, but today i did and i just wanna say how much i like reading Eric Engels.  This link is for those that refuse to type that address.. wish you didnt have to copy/paste it.

196. oshawahabsfan says:

Blown offside call gives the Bruins the lead FFS! Just brutal

197. andrewberkshire says:

Come on HH, Kovalev? You too? Give your head a shake bud, you’ve been rattled since the Bruins game and not making any sense.

198. LizardKing1967 says:

I am so happy there is at least one other person here who thinks smartly lik I do. I have always been behind BG, and I am now behind PG. We DO NOT know what is said and/or done behind closed doors and over the phones. If you look at some of the trades, including what you just mentioned……..

Kaberle would have cost us either Subban OR Patches as well as our first round pick. Peverly would have cost us Pouliot OR Eller as well as Webber and probably more. Why the heck would we want to part with these guys???? For rentals????

Considering all the injuries we have had, going forward, we are still WELL ENTRENCHED in 6th and within a stone’s throw of 5th (not to mention a great fight for 3rd too).

I wish everyone could chil out. And yes, I do hope we try to get Chris Phillips, Chris Neil, Zach Bogosian, or any one of another few players that could help. I REALLY wish we could, but I would NOT get rid of any of our BEST prospects. As it is shaping up, we will have those guys in the near future right from inside our own orgaization (see Patches, Subban, Pouliot, Nash, etc….).

Chill Boyz

Jim-out. I BELIEVE!

199. CanadienBoy says:

I can not help thinking Ramo to be a good pick for the Devils and Parise  for us ! Devil can not resign Parise and Ramo Will start a lot cheaper than Brodeur

200. oshawahabsfan says:

It would be great for sh!ts and giggles I must admit, so here goes: if he were to come back, Jacques would have to reunite the big little three and give Pleks, Kovy and AK a good shot together, I think we could potentially have a strong three line scoring attack with a third line of DD with two big strong wingers in Pouliot and Pacioretty

201. andrewberkshire says:

We only have the cap space to add 2.8 million in salary.

202. habstrinifan says:

Kinda racist isnt it?

203. oshawahabsfan says:

I have a feeling we will be liking that O’Byrne trade a lot in a few years Robert

204. G-Man says:

I was so glad he wasn’t re-signed and am glad some other team is stuck with Mr. Slow Motion Hog. His time is long past and he’s playing on one knee. Sorry, he ain’t fast enough.

205. scrowe21 says:

..?  lol.

Kovy is still good, and he knows he is close to the end of his career, liked it in MTL, and wouldn’t cost much to trade for..it’s worth a try in my opinion. Unless PG comes up with a trade for a better forward, and there is plenty I would take over Kovy.

206. SeriousFan09 says:

Dustin Walsh is at 15 points this season I should say, he’s got 9G, 6A, had 8G, 2A last season.

207. habstrinifan says:

I havent read the comments yet but I hope that if the comments center around the trading activity and the INACTIVITY AND UNACCOUNTABILITY of PG, I hope you are a good enough Canadiens fan to be worried that our team is under the guidance it IS NOW.

I’ll go read the comments now.

208. CanadienBoy says:

With all the injury’s that all ,how that happen ?

209. Rainrocket16 says:

I tell you, Boston put the pressure on the rest of the East now! If we don’t acquire some goal scorers we will be a fart in the wind come playoff time. I don’t think we should touch our D, we have a great line up of D, too bad they are injured though but we must not lose what we have. We can however add a much needed scoring touch to our team, Cammy will be back but we need to improve. Hate to say it but we are not gonna be the top in our division this season.

Here are players I would trade if we do make some trades by the deadline;

AK, Gomez (unlikely), Halpern, Eller, and Pyatt.

210. punkster says:

As per above link…

211. habstrinifan says:

At this stage you need both. You need the ‘potential’ and I say potential of Kovy in the playoffs and you need the GRIT of Neil.

I dont think we have the assets (or least the assets we care to part with) to get Phillips or the defenseman we need. And if all bodies (excuding Markov/Georges) return we are basically entering the playoffs with a slightly better defense than last year (Wiz Webber Picard as an aggregate is slightly better than Georges/MAB) . So if we add Neil and Kovalev we are an improved team compared to last year going into the playoffs.

I know KOVY is a risk. And I hate having to even stomach his return. But we cant go into the playoffs ASIS. And we are not ‘good enough’ to give up real assets for a supposed big name.

212. Bill J says:

And you know with 100% certainty that PG has not been trying to do something ?

213. Bill J says:

Funny because I feel the need today to call out the nincompoop’s who think because nothing has happened trade wise for MTL that it somehow means “PG is not trying”

I am quite certain if PG wanted to make a trade for the sake of making one, all he had to do is JUST once say yes to one of the numerous GM calls “Hey PG I want Subban, I will give you <insert player name here>”

214. Gooner says:

I think I heard that story from you before.

215. habstrinifan says:

PG may get around to MAB. Read my post MAN! Right now he’s working on getting MARA into a HABS Uniform. In fact I can update this rumour to an E11.

216. CanadienBoy says:

To bad he did not do that for Lafleur

217. scrowe21 says:

I’d take Kovy again for the rest of the year at this point. Hopefully PG has no interest in Neil though.

218. fbkj says:

come on pittsburg, kovy needs ya

219. kempie says:

Put Kovy on D

220. Rainrocket16 says:

I would welcome him back anyday!

221. punkster says:

Yep, that magic moment:

222. SeriousFan09 says:

Quick Hits:

C Michael Bournival got a hat trick tonight, he’s cracked his season-best mark in points with 27G (career high) and 36 assists in 6 fewer games than last season.

C Dustin Walsh beat last season’s mark of 8 goals with 9 goals this season tonight, he’s at 15 on his season, 5 more than all of last year.

D Greg Pateryn has 1G, 3A tonight, his best offensive game in NCAA hockey to date.

G Karri Ramo has only lost one game in his last 20 starts.

C Louis Leblanc broke his 8-game scoring drought, 2G, 1A in his last 2 matches.

RW Aaron Palushaj has gone from from .51 PPG last season to .73PPG this season whilst battling injury.

223. habstrinifan says:

You just lifted my spirits. Hope it happens. In fact it was Tony Marinaro who aid a couple days ago that Chris Neil loves the thought of playing for Mtl. Ok maybe it was Chris Phillips.. but wa soneof them.. more likely Neil.

224. Bill J says:

if PG is a 30 year loser in the NHL – what does that make you ?

The price tag (if you look at the Price St Louis paid) for Stewart … If Montreal was to trade with COL ?  Subban.

More people want to keep Subban over Stewart, so the moral of the story, we have a SMART GM who does not throw away his assets.

225. fbkj says:

neil yes

kovalev hellllllz no

226. Bill J says:

Wow! Someone else who seems to think running an NHL team is like running a EASports NHL franchise.

You are not “in the know”, IE you have no clue what PG is or isn’t doing.

I personally (in case you missed the memo) think PG has done a fine job so far.  And BG too before him.  What kills me is that STILL some people think “more could be done”

It takes time for “MORE” as they need to build the assets.

Something Montreal had NONE of when BG came onboard.

StLouis yesterday traded Erik Johnson for Stewart.  The equivalent price tag to get Stewart ?  Subban…  I am glad PG has not let Subban go, even if it meant landing Stewart…

Seriously Crying about lack of trades is CRAZY.  Because ultimately you have no clue what was or was not discussed.

227. habstrinifan says:

Mara to Habs! (E10).

My sources are telling me that PG will act to make this happen. PG was sure that he had a deal before. But…!

Other GMS are reporting to my sources that they CANNOT reach PG. Even Mr. Molson can’t reach PG.

One source is telling me that PG has vowed to not be distracted until, and I quote, “Mara is in a HABS UNIFORM!”

You can make book on it, Mara WILL be in a HABS uniform on SUNDAY. You heard it here first.

Until then PG is incommunicado.

228. Bill J says:

Hmmmmm – not to hair split here….

BUT….

Seeing as you worded it as “1st overall pick to be traded…”  You statement is incorrect.

I seem to remember a 1st pick swap that involved Rick Nash/Jay Bouwmeester.  ;)

I know what you meant, but I’m fealing a little feisty today and felt the need to point it out :P lol

229. oshawahabsfan says:

I’m probably in the minority here but I’ve always been a fan of Spezza and would love to have him. I know the arguments of he’s big but doesn’t play like it will get thrown out there, however the way he uses his size and reach are very effective,  when he has the puck he can protect it very well, he can move around guys with the puck with that reach, and he posesses great playmaking ability along with a great shot and he’s not afraid to shoot the puck… cough cough Gomez. Certainly One could argue that our coaching staff would be able to motivate him, Muller is very good in this regard in my opinion.  Him and Cammalleri on a line, that would create some good oy yoy yoys for Brunet!

230. fbkj says:

LOL WELL DONE

most intriguing *gentrly strokes beard and nods in agreement*

however youve now made me bust out something thats gonna bring HIO to an all time fricking low

PWNED

231. OneTimer says:

best part: the baby being dragged :)

232. andrewberkshire says:

Mr. fbkj, I can one up your keyboard cat: http://www.toplessrobot.com/2011/02/rats.php

233. SeriousFan09 says:

Gillett’s financial concerns had him worried about playoff dollars, hence he wanted something to change, perhaps insisting on a coaching switch.

234. LA Loyalist says:

But that wouldn’t be a financial decision – Carbo would still get paid (and may still be getting paid I don’t remember) just like we’d have to pay JM for the balance of his deal. In fact replacing a coach would cost you more (though I doubt BG got paid extra to cover the coaching).

Gillet just didn’t like Carbo? Still doesn’t explain why Bob blew it all up, Night of the Long Knives style.

But thank you for playing.

235. Exit716 says:

I think Gainey was pressured to fire Carbonneau by Gillett who was up to his neck in money troubles with the Liverpool disaster.

236. habs365 says:

fans are happy just to make the playoffs that’s why the team is the way it is..not a contender

237. LA Loyalist says:

He panicked.

Why? I have no freaking idea.

I have never heard, at least not here, a cogent, documented explanation of why he blew up the team.

If the rumour is true that there was conflict between Koivu and Kovalev (who was captain while Koivu was injured) then why not get rid of one of them? We blew out what? Nine players? Part of it I’m sure was to distract everyone from Price’s crap play and the fact that they’d rushed him (yeah Price is great now, no complaints, but no revisionism, please, back then he sucked).

Obviously there were issues with Carbo, which Gainey couldn’t resolve when he went behind the bench.

What the hell did Gainey experience on the bench or in the room that led to that result? I’m not saying he shouldn’t have done it. But why?

And we had bad luck (injury problems, you think?) Robert Lang was our leading scorer when he went down, many other examples.

I hope that one day a) Gainey writes a book explaining all and b) I live long enough to read it.

I was so happy the day it was announced that Gainey was taking over the team, but the team he built after the putsch was and remains unbalanced and not built for the playoffs. Without Halak and Cammi getting hot last spring we would have been nowhere.

Unfortunately that led us to rate this team as better than it really is: too small, too soft, and the Gomez deal left us handcuffed financially. You can say the Lecavalier deal is worse but at least they need him to sell tickets. How many Gomez jerseys have been sold? I’d love to know.

This has all been debated a hundred thousand times on these pages and it looks like now we are going the right way, the young ones look very promising. PK, MaxPax, Plex, Markov, Gorges… we can build around those guys and to the degree they are Gainey and PG’s work, they deserve the credit.

That said, closure would be nice. I keep thinking I’m there and then we mail in another crap game (injuries notwithstanding) and I get pissed off all over again.

Post the usual death threats, but an explanation would be better.

238. Hali_Hab says:

you know for being a “cup contender” the bruins are only 3 points ahead of our battered canadiens and i would be weary of throwing the cup contender tag on the bruins they are not even in the same class as philly.

“After 13 years, I couldn’t accept to be number two.“ Guy Lafleur.

239. habs365 says:

Bruins and philly are the real cup contenders now in the eastern conference..Habs management still has to learn how to build a stanley cup contender that’s why there’s so many disgruntled players believe it or not on the Habs..maybe 4 or 5 carrying the load  and that don’t sit well with them..management haven’t moved to improve thus far..the players carrying the load..know right now if they still make the playoffs how far they’ll go..these players has been around and they’re not stupid….

240. SeriousFan09 says:

Who’s disgruntled? More importantly, what ridiculous trade can PG make with our future assets to bring in someone so they might be gruntled?

They’re missing key players right now and we all know the scoring depth isn’t there. It’s going to take time that no one wants to give to the team because it’s all NOW NOW NOW with playoff results. Philly has been a stronger team in drafting many more years than the Habs have, which is whey they are ahead. Boston has made some moves, although I get the feeling Kaberle will disappoint. Peverly is what worries me, guy plays like Lemieux when he’s up against the Habs.

241. oshawahabsfan says:

Baaaaazing! Nicely done

242. LA Loyalist says:

They had satire in the 13th century? Who knew?

243. A. Berke says:

The actual story is attributed to Hodja Nasreddin, a 13th century turkish satirical sufi philosopher.

Ali B.

244. oshawahabsfan says:

Sweet I’ll check out the LIDS in Toronto

245. LA Loyalist says:

He’s scored 80 goals and 400 (approx) assists on a crap team that wasted a lot of his passes and setups.

We found out how important a PP QB is after losing Souray and then Streit. We found out damn fast, and they don’t grow on trees.

So as nice as it would be (not for us) if he were Larry Robinson, and he’s not, he’s still a formidable offensive weapon and Boston is now a much better team with a better goalie than Philly.

In a perfect world, if we weren’t all messed up, they would play each other and we would only have to play one of them, but we are h’ors du combat, as they say.

246. Sith says:

Ali, my father used to tell me that story all the time.

247. A. Berke says:

All this talk re trading reminded me of this l’il story which happened some centuries ago somewhere in the old country:

A poor village couple needed to go to town, so they set out with their only donkey with woman riding the donkey and her older hubby following on foot.

A little later they ran into a friend who criticizes the wife for letting her older hubby walk. So they change place.

After some more walking they see another friend who criticizes the husband for not being a gentleman and letting his wife walk. So, they both get on the donkey.

A little later they see this person (probably a PETA member) who tells them that they should be ashamed of riding the poor donkey with all their weight.

Then, the husband suggest that they should both walk behind the donkey.

And guess what? they run into someone else (an HIO poster?) who seriously declares that he never saw two more stupid people in his life than this couple.

Feel free to draw any analogies from the story (if the shoe fits!).

Cheers,

Ali B.

248. Bill H says:

Great story Ali.  I have just one question for you?  Is observer the donkey, the man or the woman?  And if he is the woman, is he married to manapart?  Or would he be the PETA member?  Oops.  One question, three parts.

249. habs001 says:

beyond camm most of our forwards are on their career goals per season ave…maybe a couple off by a few goals…people have to realize the goal scoring talent on this team is limited…there is a reason why goals per game ave has been about the same for the last 160 games..the habs are still 2-3 years away from being cup contenders as there are many average players on the current team…..it is easy to be biased with our line up because fans will support their players …best way to be objective is to imagine that the present habs line up was the line up our two most hated opponents have ..the flyers or bruins….how would you critique the line up if it was called boston or philly ..i think it would be pretty harsh

250. TripleX says:

If that is true, then maybe Montreal management has way overpaid for its top six?

Tell me again why Gainey made the Gomez deal?

251. oshawahabsfan says:

Good news, he’ll be playing with a cage for sure. Be nice to have to bodies back for Sunday, we need to win bottom line.

252. Danno says:

And Gill

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

253. TripleX says:

-20 degree weather on a fresh cut?   OWWWWWW!

254. shiram says:

Dont know if it was posted yet, but its reported Wiz doesnt have a fracture.

saw it on yahoo news, and on rds too, saying Cammy back in for sunday too.

255. Hali_Hab says:

Thats some good news.. :)

“After 13 years, I couldn’t accept to be number two.“ Guy Lafleur.

256. LA Loyalist says:

Did you know that Cammi’s new artificial shoulders are made in Quebec?

They’re great because they don’t separate.

257. punkster says:

Blah blah, post, repeat…blah blah, post, repeat…

258. TripleX says:

Kaberle leads all players drafted in 1996 in assits.  He has 120 more than Daniel Briere.

Yeah I know he is no Mara but who is?  PG traded a draft pick for a non roster player.  Awesome deal.   Burke traded a UFA that the whole world new he wanted to get rid of for a first round pick.  What an awful move.

259. The Cat says:

Never saw the infatuation about him, never once saw him be that special…I hate that type of defenseman anyways, soft hitting PP specialist, makes me hurl about what hockey has become and how players cant be well rounded anymore, a collection of one-trick ponies.

260. WindsorHab-10 says:

Always hated that piece of crap “Kaberle” and now that he’s a Bruin, I’ll hate him even more. Talking about an overrated player. I hope this deal BLOWS UP in Boston’s face. Amen.

261. shiram says:

So who should he trade and for who?

262. fbkj says:

the way you type, do you talk this way too? like do the all caps represent you screaming or are you trying to drive your point home because you think were confused by lower case?

263. habsfansince91 says:

ya and we also have four out of our six regular defenceman who are out, but that obviously doesn’t matter does it?

264. observer says:

HABS HAVE LOST 4 OF THEIR LAST 5 GAMES – 2 TO LAST PLACE TEAMS WHO BEAT THEM TWICE IN A ROW – ONLY WIN OVER THE POWERHOUSE LEAFS AND Gauthier stands pat – basically ——————————-

Canadiens 6 Bruins 8
    Islanders 4 Canadiens 3
    Maple Leafs 0 Canadiens 3
    Sabres 3 Canadiens 2
    Canadiens 1 Oilers 4

265. punkster says:

PARDON?

266. _Habsoloutly_ says:

NOPE, THIS IS THE WAY HE TALKS IN REAL LIFE!!!!!

267. oshawahabsfan says:

A couple Heritage Classic related questions: 1) Is the alumni game going to be televised, I don’t recall them mentioning it last night on CBC  2) Where can one buy one of the Montreal touques? I have the one from 2003 and I’d like to get this one, it’s not on the Canadiens online shop, all they have are lame Heritage Classic ball caps

268. fbkj says:

im sure theyll be available on the webshop after the game, if not, bell center for sure

269. Castor says:

I saw them today at LIDS.

270. savethepuck says:

Well said>

271. oshawahabsfan says:

Couldn’t agree more, well done

272. CP31 says:

I couldn’t agree more…………..off with Burke’s head! LOL, sorry got a little carried away………HE’S AN IDIOT!

FROM SAKU TO GIO, SAME STATURE AND JUST AS MUCH HEART!! GREAT DECISION!!

273. punkster says:

Another punkster approved comment.

274. Sportfan says:

Wow so many trades without the word habs brewer is getting moved to tampa

so someone tell me what are our rumoured possible plays

Penner? Sullivan? Neil?

ANy other random rumors I’d like to know please dont be shy to tell

also who would we trade away to get anyone?

275. observer says:

Gauthier got us a fresh MARA! Be happy that we have a GM who really knows what he is doing. That is why he has managed so many Stanley Cup winning teams.

Brian Burke is capable of making some great quotes. About the Kaberle trade:

Getting into the playoffs by the skin of your teeth and getting your ass kicked in 1st round is not my idea of building a championship team here.

Sounds like he’s describing the Habs of the last 18 years minus one season.

277. CP31 says:

Burkie with the memory of a goldfish! Someone should tell him that scraping into the playoffs is all it takes to make a memorable and magical run (see the Montreal Canadiens circa 2009-2010)

PS – I thought it was always playoffs or bust for Burkie……..IDIOT!

FROM SAKU TO GIO, SAME STATURE AND JUST AS MUCH HEART!! GREAT DECISION!!

278. RJB says:

So what is his idea of building a team? Throwing crap against the wall and hoping it sticks? Because really Burke has done nothing, and I mean literally nothing to warrant any praise. The laughs are not a playoff team and they are most certainly not a championship team. And they wont be next year, or the year after, or after, or after. Brian Burke is a bust of a GM, and should take a hike when his coach goes a walkin

Not saying you were praising Burke, I have just had to endure obnoxious leaf buddies of mine telling me that its a great day to be a leafs fan. No it really isnt, because at the end of the day they are no where closer to the future stanley cup that they so passionately seek.

People get mad at PG because he hasnt made a splash like some other GM’s….Its utterly prepostreous. This team has been decimated by injury, when your team is hurting you dont go and blow the whole thing up, or trade away your future.

Maybe Gauthier is smart enough to know that the Habs are a year or 2 away from a legitimate cup run. Don’t mortgage the farm to get a big name that won’t get us anywhere closer to the cup.

To all the people who are coming on here saying “oh dear me, why didn’t Gauthier trade for Brewer” maybe you should take a deep breath and realize, ” hey maybe theres more to the picture than I think”. I’m just so tired of the Bob Downers and Negative Nancys who come on here and just rip into everything the Habs have done.

Moral of the story, Burkes an idiot

“I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.” – Bilbo Baggins

279. Chuck says:

Is his idea of a championship team NOT making the playoffs at all?

280. Mark C says:

Then why didn’t he build through prospects and the draft when he first took over?

He’s made some great in season trades this year but all the trades have run counterintuitive to his initial approach of building via free agency and trades.

281. andrewberkshire says:

Not even he knows.

282. alestar says:

Re-sign the Wiz for 3 years…DO IT NOW, PG!

XXIV…and counting

283. RedLight says:

This will come down to a decision by the Habs’ doctors. I am sure if it is left up to Wiz, he’ll be playing. No doubt he is in some severe pain, but Sunday’s game is one of those that’s as special to the players as it is to us.

284. WestHab says:

Welcome to Cow town!

Had a bad dream last night that we lost to ED.

- Who will be at the Heritage Classic? See me in Section “i” row 20 seat 20.

285. habs365 says:

If the cup started today, I would pick  Philly – Vancouver or  Philly – Detroit  in the stanley cup

286. habitat says:

Brewer to the TB Lightning for a 3rd and a prospect. I think Gauthier missed the boat here. Brewer a is decent defensemen. Hopefully we have a big trade in the works, I can dream.

Cheers

287. CanadienBoy says:

Ian White to the sharks ,the D man are moving fast

288. oshawahabsfan says:

No interest in anyone who wore the Leafs jersey, they bring the losing with them

289. shiram says:

Yup we can definately use the good news around here.

290. Danno says:

If I got smashed in the face with an axe I think I’d take a couple of days off. The Wiz is one tough hombre. In the same league as Josh Gorges – a warrior.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

291. shiram says:

Well if nothing is fractured I guess I could see him play.

He can be stitched cheeks buddy with Pyatt too.

292. andrewberkshire says:

Yeah that part kills me!

293. observer says:

Another Halak like trade. Gauthier just traded away his 2010 Nissan sedan for a 10 speed bicycle.

WTF are you talking about?

295. fbkj says:

aw man thats AMAZING… however

^

i am t3h pwnerer

296. andrewberkshire says:

Alright, can’t beat it but this will still kill everyone who watches it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYIPIm4eLA8

297. andrewberkshire says:

First time I ever saw that video is was 4am and I was drunk, and I nearly died from lack of oxygen from laughing so hard. I’ve got one more for you, and I’m goin’ retro:  http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/piano

298. fbkj says:

never saw that one… noice

how about finlands take on ducktales

yeah… taco nazi

299. andrewberkshire says:

I didn’t want to have to do this… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GikSjH1F3N8

300. punkster says:

Mrs. Dash…ahh, fine foods.

301. habs001 says:

doesn kaberle score like orr vs the habs…