Audio: Gill, Cammy return; Wiz might play

McMahon Stadium’s Heritage Classic rink takes shape. The Canadiens and Calgary Flames will practice on this sheet Saturday, then play for real on Sunday.
Dave
Sandford, NHLI via Getty Images

AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Carey Price | Price again | Hal Gill | Paul Mara | Kirk Muller

Quick news roundup from today:

• Defenceman James Wisniewski, savagely cut by a puck Thursday in Edmonton, rested in bed at his team’s hotel in Calgary and didn’t participate in a mid-afternoon practice at the Saddledome. But Wisniewski is expected to skate Saturday morning, and a decision will be made after that whether he might be able to play in Sunday’s Heritage Classic.

• Defenceman Hal Gill almost surely will return after a four-game, upper-body-injury absence, while forward Michael Cammalleri, out for 12 with a separated shoulder, will be back.

• Forward Mathieu Darche is listed as day-to-day with what might be a nagging groin injury, though the Canadiens aren’t specifying.

• Centre Tomas Plekanec didn’t practice Friday, but rode a stationary bike and did some significant stretching off-ice outside the dressing room.

• Defenceman Paul Mara practised with his new/old teammates, having been acquired from Anaheim in the wee hours of Thursday morning.

1. samTHEman says:

Woooops. lol. hey…one can dream

2. Storm Man says:

Sheraton Eau Claire or the Palliser.

3. Former Jets Fan says:

Brewer is on the wrong side of 30, and had spent the past couple seasons prior to this one ravaged by injuries.  Prior to this season, he’d only been a ‘plus’ player once in 11 seasons – granted, he’s been on some awful teams.  Furthermore, Brewer would not have addressed the ‘team toughness deficiency’ the Habs are purported to have.  Of all the defencemen rumoured to be available, he was the one I coveted the most, but I’m not the least bit upset – or surprised – he didn’t end up in Montreal.

And yes, take the last line of your post to heart.

4. TomNickle says:

I don’t consider him a prospect Andrew.  That’s all.

5. JIMVINNY says:

From out 4 weeks to day-to-day.  That tells me he’s TOUGH.  Or it just tells me that the idiot that reported 4 weeks went out to lunch several years ago and never came back.

6. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Brian Burke’s press conference.  Best quote:

“Draft picks have never been a priority.”

haha…what a statement for a GM to make.

7. oshawahabsfan says:

Depends on if there’s fractures or not. Also the location of it was close enough that the swelling may effect the vision out of the left eye. If neither of these are a problem, he could play with a full cage for a while. We need him back asap. You can notice the difference in the teams breakout and of course the powerplay when he’s out. He has pretty good poise with the puck while taking it up ice, and he’s a damn good passer

8. oshawahabsfan says:

It’s been a month now, he should be pretty close to 100% With the accessibility to rehabbing and physio specialists these guys have I wouldn’t be suprised if he’s more less ready to go

9. SeriousFan09 says:

That’s the worst thing a GM could ever say. When your team’s in the toilet, you need draft picks and as many as you can get.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

10. kordic says:

Wiz is tough!!  unlike some other hab players……

If he can strap on his skates, he will play.

Boston, Tampa both got stronger, PG aka Bob Gainey still sitting on his hands whether or not to get rid of anyone except 13 and 31 to get better.

My prediction and opinion. No miracle run for the Habs this year, lucky if we get in. I feel sorry for most of the boys, with all these injuries it doesn’t look like management gives a rats a@#.

“The ghosts are gone. The Canadiens have two choices, try and win the cup or be French Canadian” – Ken Dryden

11. Habsone says:

Can’t wait!! Going to the game Sunday!!!

12. observer says:

of all the defensemen moved the last 2 weeks alone mara is tyhe worst one acquired maybe people expect more when you have salary cap room and your team needs help bad?

13. The Cat says:

TB will have a deep run I predict. Semis at least.

14. TomNickle says:

Yeah, who needs draft picks when you have an aging roster and not a single elite prospect on defense.

15. samTHEman says:

Gomez –> CAR for Kostopoulos and 2nd rd pick

16. gloveside says:

Looking forward to game with toques!

17. The Cat says:

When the team has a chance, you got to go for it.

18. Storm Man says:

Wait till someone hits him… He is not close, friends texed me from the Dome and said when he shot the puck you could tell he was not 100 percent.

19. SeriousFan09 says:

Never believe an injury rumour RE the Habs, otherwise we’d still be waiting for Max-Pac to return from IR. When the Gazette beat guys call it, that’s when you know the report is accurate.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

20. fbkj says:

thanks for that mr. poopie pants >:(

21. JIMVINNY says:

I predict that Regehr lands a solid hit on Cammy in the first, and Cammy misses the rest of the year due to season-ending shoulder surgery.

22. Storm Man says:

You’re asking alot from him.

23. Storm Man says:

Time to make a Kool Aid run.

24. fbkj says:

lol dude read before you reply this isnt about mara ya ding dong

25. andrewberkshire says:

Hedman isn’t elite? Since when Tom?

26. oshawahabsfan says:

Jinx :p

27. fbkj says:

Pants Buzzed

cammy’s back

28. andrewberkshire says:

Kostopoulos is in Calgary now, not Carolina.

29. shiram says:

maybe he forgot about the salary cap?

30. Storm Man says:

I guess now I will burn my tickets….. thanks for the ending.

31. kordic says:

Never believe anything coming out of the Quebecois side of reporting. they don’t know jack. they like to whine like the province, but they still want the Canadian dollar and all the perks of being Canadian. The 70’s are long gone, but some things will never change.

32. Keith says:

The Wiz may play on sunday? WOW! What a tough hombre! GO WIZ GO!!!

33. kordic says:

Burke used to be a lawyer. Enough said.

34. Say Ash says:

If the Wiz plays on Sunday, is that more impressive than Moen or Gorges last year? Rank the three…

35. SeriousFan09 says:

How to Twist a Knife, by Peter Chiarelli, from James Mirtle’s Twitter

Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli on why he didn’t mind giving up a first-round pick: “We have another first-round pick that should be fairly good.”

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

36. fbkj says:

gorges was playing the next nite

no contest

edit: next game, 2 nites later, argument still stands, less no contest tho

37. ZepFan2 says:

On that note. A blast from the past…

Habs fans, you’ll love Josh Gorges for about two minutes. Good riddance.

As far as giving up a first rounder, we have NJ’s first round pick too, and with a shit draft, it’s not like we lost a lot.

Everybody’s a GM. 😉

———————————————————————— “Young people have seen that a team can play electrifying, fascinating hockey while still behaving like gentlemen.” ~Serge Savard~

38. kordic says:

Ya! you’re right, Tangay only makes exmillion amount of dollars per year. Why call him a wimpy piece of garbage.

39. The Cat says:

Just cause they make millions doesnt mean that the tradeoff is a lack of quality of life in their future.

40. Say Ash says:

If it were indoors, I’d agree. But the cold weather’s gotta make if harder to endure.

41. fbkj says:

not takin anything away from moen or the wizz

gorges just strolled back into the game like nothing happened…

42. kordic says:

This is hockey, not owner of reno depot. If you can play, you should play. Injuries in hockey are part of this tough, grueling sport. Tangay was, and is a piece of glass.

43. fbkj says:

amazing how some people think eh

44. ZepFan2 says:

Yeah, I got deja-vu as well.

Oh, and btw, the Habs are doomed…DOOOMED I tell ya’!

45. Chris F says:

PG is consistent if nothing else. Last year he brought in Moore well before the deadline, that was our deal.

This year he brought in the Wizz, nobody knew, and once again well before the deadline. Mara is simply a band-aid to prevent rookies from playing in important games. They know Mara, and heès a good guy.

PG is not stupid, contrary to what some may believe. He’s not giving up squat to get a middle of the road player. He’ll wait for free agency. I’m sure he loves the young guys. He’s not going to give up picks, and we have no veterans that anyone else would want.

I think our one chance would be to trade the enigma AK for someone in a similar situation who is not really playing to potential, maybe like Setoguchi. Maybe AK and someone else gets us Weiss out of Florida, although he’s a center. Maybe David Booth, but he has a six year deal. But without giving up major talent, were not getting major talent.

46. andrewberkshire says:

I dunno, Gorges got it in the helmet, he’s tough as nails but if Wiz plays in Calgary I think that’s even tougher than Gorges.

47. andrewberkshire says:

Agreed 100% with this comment.

48. Danno says:

Let’s face it. Winning has never been a priority for the Leafs. Truculence is all.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

49. fbkj says:

his wife took the picture

Just received this pic from James Wisniewski’s wife. She says he is doing fine and is in good spirits. James and Nicole thank you all for your support.”

hes still had his jersey on dude

hes was on a frigging stretcher

didnt say he had a concussion btw, just listed a few common hockey related injuries

50. kordic says:

Firstly, you don’t get LG from a concussion. Secondly, the wiz does not have one. Thirdly, the wiz will play sunday.

51. fbkj says:

wowowowowowow we dont all have college degrees… could you please make your posts simpler, all this thought and nuance is making me hate big city liberals…

52. Former Jets Fan says:

Ooooh!  That there’s some bulletin board material, the seldom-heard GM trash-talk.

Perhaps the Kaberle deal will be addition by subtraction and Komisarek will reassert himself as an All-Star and lead them up the standings.

Go Laffs Go!  Playoffs!  Playoffs!

53. fbkj says:

but thats different from what you said

would you go to work with a sprained ankle and a concussion?

54. Strabo says:

QOTD

“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.” Albert Einstein

55. kordic says:

Listen! I’m not a professional hockey player, but to do my job, I have to go to work because my team needs me. If I can work, I work and that should go for anybody in any profession, especially millionaire hockey players.

56. Strabo says:

BAHAHAHAHAHA … That’s right I’m laughing at you, and you know who you are.

57. oshawahabsfan says:

Yeah a guy who was crucial to Colorado’s cup win didn’t have what it took to play in the playoffs. If you know you’re not going to be a help to your team, you’re better off not playing. That’s what the situation was, nothing more

58. oshawahabsfan says:

Ha, brilliant!

59. Former Jets Fan says:

Am I to assume you’re the arbiter of who can or cannot play?  Are you a medical doctor, surgeon or accredited physiotherapist with access to the team?  Please, state your credentials.

60. The Cat says:

lol

61. oshawahabsfan says:

Yeah I wonder who San Jose would be interested in trading, I’m guessing guys like him and perhaps Pavelski as well. Either way I’m not in favour of PG making anything but a minor move. We have to be realistic here, we’re missing the two defenceman who would be most important in us being contenders, Markov for his all-around game, but especially how he can run the PP and our offence when he’s on the ice. Gorges for shutting down the oppositions best. Without those two, there isn’t much point in throwing away assets for a player who may only be here for the remainder of this season. If a deal is made it has to be for the longer term

62. fbkj says:

its my moab for all internetz lulzwars :)

63. SPATS says:

Agree, like the idea of AK for Setoguchi too. Also believe Moen could be used on D short term.

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH!

64. AndyF says:

First, I was replying to your tirade on Tanguay.   Second… how good are you at admitting you might be wrong on this?

If you need more links, just let me know, ok?   I’ll wait for you to build up some courage to say it clearly.

AndyF

65. NightRyder says:

Don’t see us doing anything other than a minor tweak at the deadline.

One guy I wouldn’t mind adding for 20 games – Zenon Konopka of the Islanders.

He’s exceptional in the faceoff circle and will fight anyone. As a spare part at a cheap price (and given our candy-ass ways), he could be useful.

66. Bleu blanc rouge says:

Renaud Lavoie ” Wisniewski out four weeks with fractures” What an Idiot!!!

67. habsfanincgy says:

Anyone know which hotel Habs are staying at? Thanks!

68. savethepuck says:

We are definitely a different team with Gill, Cammy and maybe The Wiz

69. savethepuck says:

It is good to know some people know how the business works

70. forskis says:

Egads…look at the details…Brewer has an NTC in his contract…PG could have thrown 10 1st rounders at St. Louis and Brewer could still have said no as is his contractual right.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

71. Ghosts of the Forum says: