Audio: Game 5 pregame highlights

Canadiens goalie Jaroslav Halak gets his blocker and stick down on a shot during morning skate at Mellon Arena.
Allen McInnis, Gazette

AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Hal Gill | Ryan O’Byrne | Dominic Moore | Bill Guerin | Marc-André Fleury | Jordan Staal

First, to toss a little cold water on those expecting an imminent return of Canadiens defenceman Andrei Markov, who left Game 1 with an unspecified (knee) injury:

Habs head coach Jacques Martin says that Markov is on this trip simply because the team’s entire medical staff is here, and it’s easier for him to continue to undergo treatment here than in Montreal.

Defenceman Jaro Spacek is getting closer to a return, but he’s not there yet.

Penguins forward Bill Guerin, who missed Games 3 and 4, returns tonight on a line with Sidney Crosby and Chris Kunitz. Expect to see him parked in Jaro Halak’s crease every time he’s on the ice.

1. Mr. Biter says:

Maybe a “Love Tap” to Stahl’s foot and a few hard checks to Guerin early in the game to slow the Pens down. If Markov was playing Cooke definatly would be hitting him at every chance. Do what it takes to win. Close line between dirty and clean.

2. Leafy says:

I missed Game 4, but read all the comments re: unfair officiating.  I can sympathize with Hab fans– it’s hard enough for an underdog to compete with an elite team in the playoffs without unbalanced calls.  Having said that, does anyone know the total calls for and against, not including too many men for this series?  It would be interesting to compare that to the puck possession time or offensive zone control time for each team.  Penalties are typically called against the team without the puck when they cheat against the team with the puck.  The share of penalty calls, if evenly called, should more or less match the puck possession ratio.  One exception is goalie interference of course…  Thoughts?

3. Slovak says:

Am gonna make some coffee, the game starts at 1 in the morning here – Am fed up with these timezones – I would start the game right now – 3 – 2 – 1 GO:

OH Crosby’s gonna shoot OH he shoots and OH my god have you ever I say have you ever seen something like this? Halak just eats the puck and OH Gionta brings him a beer to wash it down…

OH COME ON MONTREAL COME ON

4. alestar says:

Nice…classy, Pens fans…real classy.

XXIV…and counting

5. Habitant in Surrey says:

1) …Whiners ? …think Gretzky ? …think P. Esposito ? …hope We
    tie-up the little twerp like a calf at the rodeo today …but
    notwithstanding THAT, I would give My left-testicle to have a Sid Crosby
    someday on Our Habitants

2) …Hart Trophy, in effect the NHL
    MVP award …is ANY Player in the NHL this year more deserving than Jaro
    Halak ? …Would We be in the Playoffs ? …Would We have been tied 2-2
    with Pittsburgh in the second-round ? …IF The Gods above blessed Us
    with a Stanley Cup, would not an Alexander Ovechkin or Sidney Crosby
    look awfully silly and undeserving holding the Hart Trophy this year ?

3) …these well-balanced, talented Pittsburgh Penguins will NOT
    be at all easy to beat tonight …but I believe Our Team is a Team Of
    Destiny …the Waddlers’ achilles-heel, Jean-Marc Fleury …yet,
    WHATEVER happens tonight, or the end-result of this series, We HAVE To
    Be PROUD of this year’s version of Our Montreal Canadiens

…GO HABS !!!!!!!! …go ! …eh ???

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

6. andrewberkshire says:

Completely agree, I’d love to see Subban blast one in. And Strombo is the man!

7. Bash says:

Last change tonight  for Pitt…Martin has to have his ducks in a row.

Our forecheck will be the key to A WIN”

Expect heavy traffic in the crease and some interesting calls by the striped jerseys.

If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

8. HUDSONHAB says:

I’l be at our hockey team wind up down at the local Legion. The game will be on with cheers for both sides. Point worth noting: I watched the OT win over the Caps in game one at the Legion

….Hab4life….

9. andrewberkshire says:

That’s one way to put it. I was pretty shocked honestly.

10. Drive-4-25 says:

Lately I’ve noticed much pooping on our team from Leaf and Boston fans on other hockey sites.  Mostly stating that we shouldn’t be where we are and it’s all luck.  I enjoy these and I only hope that I have to keep hearing how “lucky” we are right into the finals!

Bring Stanley Back Where it Belongs!

11. MikeMcphee says:

I guess we’ll just have to beat there asses tonight, and hopefully our boy PK nets one.
    You just gotta love that kid.

12. kempie says:

Charming

13. andrewberkshire says:

I don’t know if anyone else has noticed this, but at The Pensblog, they’ve taken to calling Subban “the brown stain”. Absurdly racist.

14. ArmyFan says:

I agree with you 100%, for anyone but the superstars, of which Crosby is one.

The guy pretty much calls his own penalties.  When his stick exploded on Thursday night it took the ref about 5 seconds to raise his arm, and only after Crosby had raised both of his arms and whined at the ref.

Maybe it’s some kind of Jedi mind-trick….

15. Habitant in Surrey says:

…with a profound apology to Marc-Andre’s mom for re-christening Her son

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

16. ArmyFan says:

No true hockey fan wants their team to get breaks from the officials.  We just want the refs to do their effing jobs, which they get paid big bucks to do.

If someone commits an infraction, call a penalty – at any time in the game (including overtime), regardless of the score, no matter how big a game it is.  It’s not magic, or rocket science.  There’s a rulebook. Use it.

17. nickster13 says:

Pittsburgh fans are just that youre right, bandwagon fans, when they get crosby suddenly they sell out every night and have customs and a fanbase that thinks theyre the best, and they show no respect

18. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Just saw the Pensblog. Reached to a conclusion that Leafs fans are much more respectable fans than Penguins fans. I am surrounded by Leafs fans where I live, and trust me, they HATE the Habs. But they’re no where near Penguins fans, they have a sense of respecting other teams and they’re actually wishing Montreal good luck. Penguins fans on the other hand – geez..What a bunch of bandwagoners. Did they even know what hockey was before Crosby was drafted? Where was their terrific, dedicated fanbase before that?

19. Slovak says:

Habs must win this one at all costs – even if I have to use StarTrek technology and teleport myself from Slovakia right on the ice and score by hand and then kill all the referees so that there is no one to call off that goal.

IF THERE IS DESTINY THIS IS THE TIME

COME ON MONTREAL COME ON

20. Danno says:

Fun fact:

Halak and PK celebrate their birthdays on the same day. Next week, May 13th.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

21. KenD29 says:

PK and the Habs will get the last N words in a few more days …   “Night Night Pens,”

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

OB and Soobie get some recognition as do the
    Geegees.

23. KenD29 says:

Game 1 yes 4 goals on the PP. Game 4, only 1 PP goal !

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

Funny. Well done Bugsy!!!!

25. Fansincebirth says:

Surely to God the league has put the refs on notice after that piece of crap game on Thursday. When the whole world is bewildered at how biased the officiating was, it can’t hide under the “I didn’t know it was that bad’ excuse.

26. novahab says:

I never thought I would be writting this but thank you CBC and Bon Cherry for calling out the refs. Akso thank you Boone about writting about it. Its the media job to keep them honest and they can’t fear Gary (I think I am the godfather) Bettman . Don’t sit on your hands write the truth and lets hope we get a fair game tonight. I hope its fair for both teams, I wouldn’T want the Habs getting breaks because of what happen the other night. Silly me like thats going to happen.

27. Danno says:

Sidney’s whining. Sidney’s crying. Sidney’s suffering from Halak of scoring.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

28. Drive_For_25 says:

GO HABS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is all…

29. Slovak says:

All of us has to face the wall sometimes, Crosby and his “we should stay focused and we can do better” boys are experiencing this fact recently, yet they still can’t believe it’s happening. Hopefully after next game they will get it.

COME ON MONTREAL COME ON

30. Ghosts of the Forum says:

I’d love to see Pouliot pot one tonight…maybe that’d get his confidence going.  Even if it is an ugly one from standing in front of the net.

31. DONJUAN says:

I think CBC did a good job calling out the refs with Talk and video replay, even a montage of clips.  Let’s hope the God’s help us again tonight.

In HABS we trust.

32. Bugs says:

Crosby talks about Halak in this in-depth report.

Superfluously redundant, I remain

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant-Director of St-Habbie’s Hospital for the Blind, Head Physician of Neuroflannelogy Unit, and Occupational Therapist in Habsbros Emergency Ward: http://habsbros.blogspot.com/

33. pmaraw says:

and wears lovely attire!

34. pmaraw says:

i’m not so sure the officials have any pride what so ever.  i imagine the officials now as the dirty cop partner of the hero cop who gets caught being a dirty cop to make extra money and he says “but i have kids, and a family” when he gets caught by the hero cop as if its not greed that is causing his dirty cop behaviour.

35. derfab says:

Finally the Queen says something of substance.

36. derfab says:

The 3rd and 4th lines won it for us on Thursday so I’m not too sure about that.

37. ari says:

We have to keep hitting gonchar and malkin at any given time,we have to do so by dumping the puck on his side,this is not barbarism,it is play off hockey,even bob dollas said that on team990,of course i said slash before,accidentally!!why not.who is here to say he is not happy to see malkin out for next three games?the problem of our team is nobody hitting,hard hitting,that’s why i hated when komisarek left montreal.

38. derfab says:

Crosby has to be a little tired at this point and more than likely has at least one minor injury that is affecting his skating because we have not seen him get by anyone this series. Guerin is just coming off one.

Players are often most bothered by having their feet banged and their face washed, so both are in order again tonight!

39. MontrealAtheist says:

Jaroslav Halak is the new god of Montreal … As far as I’m concerned we should rip out that useless cross on top of Mt. Royal and replace it with a giant Halak statue.

40. MontrealAtheist says:

41. Ghosts of the Forum says:

I totally agree, but there is a lot of pride amongst (some) officials…if he continues like this it might come back to haunt him.  Or the hockey gods just might take care of it with a few more off Letang’s skate!

42. showey47 says:

Well its been like 4 years now,isn’t that enough embarassment? Even for the nhl?

43. MontrealAtheist says:

That’s true, but as much as we would all like to punch him in his face, the guys need to control their urges to fight him … After all, the fact of the matter is that they would get penalties whereas Crosby would not.

With Guerin back in the Penguins roster it is critical to avoid penalties as much as possible.

44. Danno says:

Yes but there is such a thing as crying wolf one time too many. It’s getting a little embarassing. Even for the NHL.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

45. anotherhab says:

I believe Lemieux and Jagr were pre Crosby along with a couple of cups in the early 90’s!!

46. andrewberkshire says:

I don’t think their blog belongs to SB nation, I think it’s independent.

47. showey47 says:

The problem is crosby’s whining and diving leads to powerplays for the pens.

Thanks, Andrew.  I’m going to send a letter to SB Nation.

49. Ghosts of the Forum says:

There has been a lot of talk/complaining, myself included, about Crosby whining and diving, but after sober (literal and figurative) consideration this morning I came to this conclusion: let him whine and dive.

We’ve all seen how Crosby plays when he is at the top of his game and it is a scary sight to behold.  When he is playing like that he isn’t partaking in all these theatrics.  I think that all the whining/diving demonstrates is that Crosby is off his game and frustrated.  If I were a Pens fan I think I’d be more worried about his persona on-ice right now then as a Habs fan.  Sure I wish that the refs didn’t buy into the act, but again, he hasn’t scored in the series and as long as he keeps this stuff up I think he will continue not to.   If he stops the diving/whining and starts playing serious hockey, that is when we should be concerned.

Guerin will be a boost to the Pens tonight, we need to match it.  Come on les boys!!!

GO HABS!

50. andrewberkshire says:

Really? God damn…

51. andrewberkshire says:

I saw it at first in the blog titled “GAME FOUR. Suck it. PENS LOSE.” The authors of the blog I believe got it from the commentariat. The authors rarely say brown stain now, they’ve shortened it to “the stain”. However several commenters are still saying “the brown stain”, including the very first comment on that blog. It’s in several other blogs on the site as well.

52. SPATS says:

Expect a short bench tonight

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH!

53. Kain292 says:

That’s a step up from what it was before. Apparently they were full on calling him the n word.

ANdrew – Where exactly is that comment on the site?

55. DD says:

I thought I would throw this out to everyone.

Will we be ham-stringed again tonight by shoddy and biased officiating, or has CBC and the news print media finally embarrassed Bettman’s bozos into calling a fair and impartial hockey game?

56. Kain292 says:

Bad attitude. Now if poor Staal or Guerin were to get checked a bit too hard then that’s not our fault.

Although I wouldn’t mind seing the shit kicked outta Cooke.

57. ari says:

i hope the first penalty will be a nice slash on malkin wrist to put him away for good.

58. Bill H says:

Sorry Ari, but I can’t agree.  And I doubt your favourite players (Koivu and Cammalleri) would agree either.  That’s no way to win a hockey game.  Its unfortunate when players go down to a serious injury.  To wish it on someone is just not right.  I still remember that nasty slash by Bobby Clarke on Kharlamov that put him out of the final game in the ’72 Summit Series.  Thanks, but I’d rather lose.  http://www.1972summitseries.com/clarke.html

59. idle says:

What a useless attitude.  Why even play sports and compete if your just going to reduce it to barbarism.  I mean why go with the slash on the wrist where a Hab could get suspended for it.  Why not just attack him when he goes into the john or something, maybe stab him a few times and make it look like a robbery.

It’s a MAB MAB world.

60. Storm Man says:

you need to see my friend Dr Sam Daher…..

61. pmaraw says:

you lose the teeth brushing contest!

62. TommyB says:

OWWWWWWCH….lol

63. ari says:

that’s how canada won,nothing too serious ,just unable to play for three games

64. dh says:

If you’re around Montreal, watch it on RDS but during the game, mute it and listen to CJAD.  Better play by play but Joel Bouchard is worth listening to between periods.

Bob Cole is the only one who thought that the refs were fair last game.

65. Drive-4-25 says:

After listening to Bob Cole the other night on CBC, Pierre doesn’t sound half bad.  I think tonight I’ll be either watching RDS or CBC on mute.

Bring Stanley Back Where it Belongs!

66. HabsFan90 says:

Can’t afford to sit OB. We need a big guy like him and he also blocks shots along with Gill and Gorges. Like the other, sit MAB or just use him on the PP.

67. Bill H says:

I dunno.  Maybe sit MAB.

68. DD says:

Move MAB to 4th line forward duty, that way you still have his shot from the point during power plays. Darche had a good game, but I think he would be the odd man out. Pyatt has more of an upside because of his penalty killing abilities.

69. pmaraw says:

I WIN!!!  haha

70. W35T5ID3 says:

what?You lose…like pens tonight.LOSE.

71. Bill H says:

“Penguins forward Bill Guerin, who missed Games 3 and 4, returns tonight
    on a line with Sidney Crosby and Chris Kunitz. Expect to see him parked
    in Jaro Halak’s crease every time he’s on the ice.”

LOL Guerin is going to look awfully funny parked in front of Halak while we are scoring goals in the Pittsburgh end.

Spacek for Game 6?  I hope he’s still in game shape.  He’s been out for awhile now.  But no question he would be a big boost for our defense.

72. HUDSONHAB says:

Is  Spacek in? If so, what do they do? OB is playing well. Darche seems to be clicking with Lappy. Hammer?

….Hab4life….

73. MontrealAtheist says:

With Guerin back in the game the guys ought to make sure not to take any penalties … They are just ruthless on the PP and as we have seen during game #3 a single PP goal may be all they need in order to win.

74. Drive-4-25 says:

Long time reader, just recent created an account.  You HIO guys do a great job, keep up the good work!

Bring Stanley Back Where it Belongs!

75. Danno says:

(Hugs)

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

76. Danno says:

Being a poker player, Martin would say something like that about why Markov came down to Pitts…

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

77. MikeMcphee says:

Just a few comments on the team and this series.
    Such great performances from Lapps lately.
    Gomez can force a blind pass through any Dman but cannot score!!!!
    Sid looks mortal compared to Ovi.
    Halak!
    Josh Gorges is tha’ bomb!!!!!
    The league isn’t fixing the games but the officiating is awful!
    PK looks to be the real deal and the team is taking to him!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    and can you believe we are where we are!!!!! 2-2 with the Pens