Audio from development camp

4902399

Photo of Jarred Tinordi by John Mahoney of The Gazette

Pat Hickey checks in with fresh sounds from Day 3 in Brossard.

Jarred Tinordi

Brendan Gallagher

Aaron Palushaj

Jacques Martin

• TSN’s off-season assessment of the Canadiens

1. arcosenate says:

What’s truly depressing about the Habs’ roster is that we basically can’t score. We’re talking a leading scorer with 57 points here. Not since Yannick Perraeault had 56 points in 2001-2002 has it been worse. And those late 1990′s early 2000′s teams weren’t exactly stellar.

I am sure the system has something to do with it but man, 4 guys with 20 goals is not going to win anything soon.

The off-season game plan is fairly empty if goal scoring isn’t a part of it…

• Polar Bear says:

I feel completely different, I see us as being one overtime goal away from the stanley cup! We have a great goalie, a strong and deep defence (Markov, Subban and Gorges on one defense!!!) but I see us needing one forward with some size and a scoring touch to put us over the top (Brooks Laich?) . Keep up the good work Gauthier and Martin, I can’t wait until next year!

• habstrinifan says:

You wanna feel bad. Remember when Rucinski won the scoring race with 49 points. Freakin 49 points. I knew then that something had gooten into the water in habsland.

Sens’ farm team wins Calder Cup.

3. Clay says:

Interesting points by McKenzie in his article “NHL BREAKS NEW GROUND WITH ROME SUSPENSION”

Is the Stanley Cup finals really the time and place to be “breaking new ground”? Makes this league look even more bush league than usual, really. The time to start the ‘new ground’ would have been next season, with the new head of discipline in place.

I actually think this hit warrants a 4 game suspension. However, precedent should – one could almost say must – be considered in a case like this. The fact that this hit is considered worse than the Patches-Chara incident is troubling to the league, to say the least.

If Chara got none, then perhaps instead of 4 games Rome should have gotten a bonus?

__________________________
    Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.

Winston Churchill

• G-Man says:

The article should have been titled, “NHL breaks wind with Rome suspension.” The whole process stinks.

• The Cat says:

I think anything to the head warrants 8 games or more, 4 is nothing. I used to love hard hitting hockey but not anymore. Either they bring back the red line or make a change in equipment.

• Clay says:

4 or 10 makes no difference here. The point is he is gone for the duration of the Stanley Cup Finals. The most important games a player can play – and a series that he may never get to again.

Yet Chara missed not even one regular season game for a much more brutal and dirty hit.

I agree that they both deserve suspension. I can even get behind 10 games. Hell, Chara should have gotten 30. My problem here is with consistency.

__________________________

Winston Churchill

• J_P says:

Totally agree with your points. The big issue here isnt the 4 game suspension, its that there is no precedent for that hit to warrant a 4 game suspension. Just like there was no precedent to warrant suspending steve downie for 20 games when he took out dean mcammond. Mike Murphy said he didnt like the play, but what he probably meant was “I didn’t like a depth defensemen knocking out a star player from the team owned by the Chairman of the nhl board of governors in the stanley cup finals”. Honestly, Campbell stepping down before the cup final was a PR move designed to eliminate people calling foul if boston wins the cup IMO. I dont see any other reason that campbell would have resigned right before the cup final rather than after the season, and anyone who thinks Boston favoritism ends with Mike Murphy taking over is ridiculous. Mike Muprhy is the guy who chose not to suspend chara! How mike murphy can give a guy 4 games for a slightly late hit, that in itself was not an illegal hit, yet give Chara zero games doesnt even make sense.

I agree that these types of hits need to be taken out of the game, and players have to learn to respect each other. However, before any of that can happen, the league needs to establish a baseline and some consistency in the way it dishes out supplimentary discipline.

4. SeriousFan09 says:

Bryzgalov’s negotiating rights were worth a 3rd-round pick and goaltending value is up and down in this league on a daily basis.

With that in mind, what’s a 50-point defencemen heading towards his prime years in James Wisniewski worth to an interested team?

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter

• ProHabs says:

Exactly, if you are not going to sign Wiz, then trade him somewhere for a second round pick. I am sure Detroit would be interested.

• TheMock780 says:

To heck with Detroit, Ken Holland is too smart to get fleeced and he’s patient. But imagine what Scott Howsan would give up in Columbus for that PP quarterback the franchise has never had?

• TheMock780 says:

Very good question SF. Gauthier should at least explore that and shop those around (I believe Dan Hamhuis’ negotiating rights fetched a 3rd rounder last year).

I wonder who Philly will have to shuffle off to give Bryzgalov the 5-6 million a season he’s going to want? My guess is that Jeff Carter is the only player that will get LEGITAMATE serious interest (Hartnell and Mezaros make too much money).

• bwoar says:

3rd rounder sounds right given the market.

Philly will have a heard time clearing space. Hartnell has an NTC, don’t count on him waiving it. Does anyone have the balls to take on Carter’s enormous contract? Trading Meszaros would leave a big hole on D with Pronger’s iffy health. I’m expecting Versteeg to be Holmgren’s best option.

• TheMock780 says:

I’m not sure that deleting Versteeg’s contract from their cap would give them enough money. Plus after his time in Toronto I don’t think that any rebuilding team with cap space will trade for him. He’s a nice piece for good teams, but not the answer to any big questions

• J_P says:

Unreal eh? After last years cup finals no one thought goaltending was important. But now that the two teams in the finals have relied heavily on goaltending (boston more so than vancouver) and teams like philly actually got eliminated precisely because of poor goaltending, all of a sudden goaltenders have become the hot commodity again….at least to philadelphia.

• shiram says:

Someone mentionned that yesterday, and I disussed it with him, seems he was right and I wrong.
      Negotiating rights seems more valuable than I thought, even at this date.

• habaddict_andy says:

Good point SF09! How about a winger who can play with Plek and Cammy for Wiz. That is all we need to add to Canadiens. If we sign Gorges MaxPac and Markov, we are set for the cup run. Yes I do believe.

Go! Hockey! Go!

5. SeriousFan09 says:

Visiting Hockey’s Future Boards:

Some posters who stopped by to watch the camp seemed very high on Gallagher and Tinordi. Avtsin was credited for being a very hard worker at camp, one observer thought Bournival was the quickest man on the ice. Alain Berger had praise as well.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter

6. TomNickle says:

Please let that kid get into the NHL on time for him to end Chara’s career. Please.

• scrowe21 says:

… lol

Im looking forward to seeing him in the NHL some day too, but for different reasons.

• TomNickle says:

I’d like him to be a Hab for life if he realizes his potential. And yes, I would like somebody in this organization capable and willing to grab Chara by the jersey and land a series of punches that make him never want to play the game again. All of this Rome stuff got me looking at the Pacioretty hit again and when I see Chara drive his forearm into Pacioretty’s head, and into the stanchion, I find it hard to come to the conclusion that there was no intent on his part.

7. TorontoHabsFan says:

I guess that with Philly trading for the negotiation rights to Bryz that Leino just came in play…

8. Was Hickey the only guy there to talk to JM?

Patrick H leaves us hanging by cutting it right as JM is about to say “Yeah, Horton he embellished it.”

___________________________________________

Eyes on The Prize! and on Twitter

9. naweed235 says:

Every body should go an vote for Cammi the play of the year :

10. otter649 says:

Bryslagov (sp) from Coyotes to Flyers for a 3 round pick in 2012 & futures as per TSN (McKenzie/Dregger twits)……

11. DearyLeary says:

They call it an off season game plan, but there is no game plan. It’s a weak assessment of what the team has.

Guaranteed the Leafs’ plan will include trading for Stamkos and signing Richards.

• Clay says:

Your assessment of TSN’s assessment is right on the mark though…

__________________________