Audio: Darkness at noon

AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Mike Cammalleri | Josh Gorges | Jeff Halpern | Louis Leblanc | Aaron Palushaj

As expected, Mike Cammalleri had the best quip about the lights going out at morning practice:

“It was weird playing in the dark and not being able to see the puck,” Cammalleri said.

“For some guys, it’s like that all the time. I won’t name names.”

Bell Centre fans will get a look at Louis Leblanc, Gabriel Dumont, and Jarred Tinordi against the Bruins on Wednesday night.

And Aaron Palushaj, obtained from St. Louis last season in the deal that sent Matt D’Agostini to the Blues, will line up with Cammalleri (a fellow University of Michigan guy) and Tomas Plekanec.

Jacques Martin will play Team A: Sanford, Price, Spacek, Gorges, Tinordi, St. Denis, Weber, Gill, Cammalleri, Plekanec, Halpern, Moen, Dumont, Lapierre, Palushaj, Pouliot, Maxwell, Leblanc, Conboy, Pyatt

An interesting alignment on the Team B rink: Lars Eller on the wing with Scott Gomez and Brian Gionta.

Martin heaped praise on Eller for his speed, shot, vision, hockey sense and willingness to go to the net.

Is this Plan E if either Pouliot or AK46 falters as a Top Six forward?

Lights still out.

Pauline Marois accuses Geoff Molson of  stiffing Hydro-Quebec.

•  •  •

Lights just went out at the rink.

Or I’m having a stroke.

•  •  •

This morning’s entertainment in the pressbox:

Andie Bennett reading from 50 Cent’s Twitter account.

•  •  •

When he meets the media at 12:20, Jacques Martin will let us know who’s playing tomorrow night

The Canadiens and Bruins are obliged to dress eight players with NHL experience (defined as at least 30 games last season or 100 career).

Also, a first-round draft choice – Louis Leblanc, Jarred Tinordi, Max Pacioretty – counts against the limit.

The big question: Who’s starting in nets?

Like there’s any mystery …

•  •  •

The post-cut lineups:

Team A: Sanford, Price, Spacek, Gorges, Tinordi, Urquhart, St. Denis, Weber, Gill, Bisaillon, Cammalleri, Plekanec, Halpern, Moen, Dumont, Lapierre, Schultz, Palushaj, Pouliot, Maxwell, Fortier, Leblanc, Conboy, Pyatt

Team B: Auld, Delmas, Mayer, O’Byrne, Henry, Picard, Nash, Klubertanz, Carle, Subban, Desnoyers, Gomez, Boyd, Gionta, Avtsin, AK46, Wyman, Russell, Darche, White, Desharnais, Engqvist, Pacioretty, Bonneau, Eller

•  •  •

Proofreaders wanted.

The back page of the Canadiens training camp guide is the 2010-’11 schedule.

It’s laid out in this sequence: September-October-January-February-November-December-March-April

•  •  •

Boston top pick Tyler Seguin has been playing on a line with Patrice Bergeron and Mark Recchi.

Seguin was born on Jan 31, 1992  by – by which time Recchi had been in the NHL for three years.

•  •  •

Best name on the Boston roster: Jordan LaVallée-Smotherman, the pride of Corvallis, Oregon.

•  •  •

Sheldon Souray to Columbus?

The Jackets desperately need a trigger-man on the PP.

Rumour has Mike Commodore going to Edmonton.

•  •  •

NHL. com posts a video explaining the new head-shot rules.

•  •  •

The Tampa Bay training camp PP: Vinny, Martin St. Louis, Steven Stamkos, Simon Gagné and Pavel Kubina.

Not too shabby.

1. Sith says:

Pre-season squads are so random, and that makes it much more difficult to predict. I rather wait for regular season, then at that point I’ll mix my 1 game 1 player and use either the impacts or the Als for the win.

Good luck tonight.

(My picks: sens, panthers)

2. Storm Man says:

You need to pick better teams in football :).

3. TomNickle says:

Eller, Leblanc, Kristo, Lapierre, Avtsin, Pacioretty, Palushaj.

The depth for big, capable scoring forwards is growing by the month.  Lots of guys on the hot seat in my opinion and ak46 is at the top of the list.

Benny, Lappy(but i think he’ll rise to the occasion),

The most exciting thing about Leblanc, Eller and Avtsin is that they embrace the spotlight, pressure and criticism and want to be elite players.

They don’t appear to be willing to rest on their laurels.

4. CrashTheNetCrashTheNet says:

Would love to see it, but he just seems to lack focus. Its like he forgets that he’s playing…

“When I was a baby I wish my first word had been “QUOTE”, then right before I die I could say “UNQUOTE” – Stephen Wright

5. SeriousFan09 says:

I’m interested to see how he does SK-free, but my patience is thin. Those great hands, that thundering check… Used effectively he’s 35G a season easily while intimidating the opposition.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

6. Muckbringer says:

…also oct 2nd

7. Muckbringer says:

i show tomorrow, the 27th and the 30th on rds

8. mike g says:

I agree.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

9. CrashTheNetCrashTheNet says:

Agree, I’d like to see Puoliot develope into our PF. More Canadian born players please (any language will do). However if AK can turn it on I won’t be cryin’ in my soup either.

10. mike g says:

Hey…

I’d rather bet on preseason hockey than football. I don’t like cheering for a team to lose by less than 6 points, or a team having to win by 13 points. I find it rediculous, and not fun at all…

Preseason hockey is good enough. Alot of teams like Toronto are nice picks tonight. Playing at home, with alot of their better rookies playing, and Ottawa dressing their 3rd squad.

Not saying it’s a gurantee, but my guess is Toronto will play with more urgency, seeing that their rookies actually have a shot at making the team. If I’m a rookie for SJ, I know my chances are very slim to crack the roster….

ya know

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

11. rocketsglare says:

Hey Boone, was Cammalleri calling out Kostitsyn and Pouliot when he made that quip? Because if he did,

good for him.

I think the big question mark is AK46. For all his supposed talent he lacks anything called drive or passion for the game and he appears to be dumber than he looks and sounds. Sorry but I have nothing good to say about him. My take is that if he doesn’t score 25 goals by the new year he’s gone for draft picks. There are too may prospects knocking on the door and he’s got one foot out the door by all appearances. Next season he’s gone at any rate and will more than likely end up in the KHL.

13. JIMVINNY says:

I agree with what you’re saying Chuck, but the problem is that in making the rule the way you suggest, Spacek’s hit on Booth last year would be an illegal hit.  In a situation like that, where Booth is leading with his head, what do you feel that Spacek should do?  If he lets up, he risks allowing Booth a scoring chance.

Players HAVE to be responsible for their own bodies, and that is what the NHL is trying to get across.  They’re trying to protect players from hits they cant see coming, but they’re not going to protect players from being careless.

14. Sith says:

Mise-O-Jeu on preseason hockey? You must be outta your mind!

I heard that they might reduce the number of games to 2. My guess is they’ll reduce the odds as well.

Its much better in Ontario where you can bet on ONE game.

It’s chewable and makes for a good document to pee on for SD puppies.

16. SeriousFan09 says:

That’s also because they’ve got a number of their roster players still ranked as prospects on their chart I think so it’s artificially raising their ranking.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

17. ZepFan2 says:

Nyet.

————————————————————————

– Steven Tyler

18. warriorhockey says:

is the next game after tomorrow on tv ??

19. derfab says:

Injuries are part of the game, especially for players who skate, hit, fight and actually go to the net for their team.

I love Gomez for his speed and peskiness but he is a full notch below Vinny in every respect.

If injured, Gomez can be replaced. If TB does anything this year it will only be because Lecavalier is healthy.

20. andrewberkshire says:

I’ve lost a bit of respect for Hockey’s Future, they have the Leafs ranked 6th overall in team prospects. That’s a joke.

21. HabFanSince72 says:

Lecavalier healthy is a  better player than Gomez.

22. Fant-HAB-ulous says:

I think the reasoning behind that is a skater should have their head up at this level and be aware of their surroundings.

If you can see the guy coming at you, you should protect yourself. It’s when you aren’t able to see and aren’t able to protect yourself that the checker is penalized.

23. HabFanSince72 says:

Good points overall, but in fairness to Yzerman he inherited a total mess and he’s only been there for a few months. He has made some very good moves so far, not the least of which was stealing Guy Boucher from us.

Also, comparing VInny and Gomez on the basis of assists rather than goals or points shows a bit of bad faith.

24. Chuck says:

So it’s OK to target the head as long as the guy can see you coming? I’m sorry, but that’s ridiculous.

If a player is responsible for showing restraint by not throwing a hit to the head when the other player can’t see it coming, then that same player should also be held responsible for not throwing a hit to the head when the other player should be able to see it coming.

With this scenario, the NHL is putting the blame of the head shot on the guy that gets hit.

25. HabFanSince72 says:

Very cheap tix available on ebay.

26. notbigbird says:

Given it’s Montreal, the French superhero was awfully tempting.

27. SeriousFan09 says:

He did inherit a mess, but I’ve grown tired of the media annointing him a saint and a group here convinced that Yxerman has already made the TBL better than the Habs so I thought I’d point out a few things and the team is not a definite playoff contender or really better than MTL aside from MTL having no one like Stamkos.

I compared them because of contract size and position on the team, Lecavalier is a much better goal scorer but his injuries are hacking away at his talent and his contract is beyond horrific. Lecavalier gets billed as a superstar, but he’s only been a superstar for 2 of his 11 NHL seasons so far and I bet his 3rd isn’t coming up either.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

28. Max_a_million says:

He doesn’t drink either, go figure his avatar heh?!?

”Last season we couldn’t win at home and we were losing on the road. My failure was that I couldn’t think of any place else to play.” – Harry Neale

29. andrewberkshire says:

Yeah I remember the thread. I just thought it was hilariously ironic.

30. mike g says:

LOL, yeah….

That was a negotiated bet, and I think I have excellent chances of winning it (AK getting 65+ pts??!!! lol) . Plus, if I lose it costs me a night out with the winners.

So not really a bet, but I’ll still run up the tab.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

31. GrimJim says:

Geez, it’s Montreal. You can probably find a scalper outside the Bell Centre right now…

32. andrewberkshire says:

I’m wondering how accurate those scouting reports are, considering Connolly absolutely refused to get an MRI for every team that was interested in him, and also refused to share pertinent medical information.

33. TorontoHabsFan says:

Ah, thanks! I was thinking for a minute that he was referring to Gagne, but I thought he was drafted much later in the 1st round.

cheers!

34. SeriousFan09 says:

I’ll take Schultz fat over Conboy skinny personally, seen Conboy already in the Hammer, unremarkable would be generous.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

35. JSP1990 says:

Brett Connolly, who has been very injury-prone through his Junior days and refused to get an MRI done to show teams he’s healthy. Terrible pick by TB. And the kid needs an attitude adjustment too.

36. andrewberkshire says:

I love how the guy who’s not a big sports gambler has a sports bet in his signature. Absolutely gold!

37. SeriousFan09 says:

At the time, Lecavalier was still 1 season removed from a 40G season and two removed from a 50G effort so it wasn’t nuts really but looking at Lecavalier today, it’s clear Gainey won out on that deal being nixed, much like Komisarek chasing the money in TO and Kovalev dithering in 2009 leaving MTL to snap up Gionta. Sometimes, it’s the backup deal that is the one that is best for the club, not to mention the Gomez deal brought in Pyatt. I imagine there are some deals that would have bettered the club over the years that Gainey didn’t pull off as well but given the nature of the Habs FO, we’ll never know what they were.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

38. soflohabsfan says:

Brett Connolly Tampa 1st round(6th overall) miss the first half of last season with hip issues. Most scouting reports say that it will no effect his game long term, but I understand what he means by it.

39. SmartDog says:

There’s a training camp guide?   What’s it like?

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

40. Da Hema says:

Good comparing and contrasting effort!

————————

“There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge….”

–Hunter S. Thompson

41. ed lopaz says:

did you hear martin’s comments about schultz?

“out of shape, and not quick enough yet – not ready”.

42. ed lopaz says:

Hello SF,

after reading your post, I could not help but wonder the following:

why would gainey offer price in a deal for vinny, and why would gainey only go after gomez once that

deal was nixed by the previous tampa owners??

no disrespect intended to you or your post – but obviously gainey’s FIRST choice was vinny over gomez.

why is that?

43. TorontoHabsFan says:

If the Montreal Canadiens had used their 6th overall pick to select a
    prospect who barely played last season because of bad hips, Gainey and
    PG would have been burned in effigy outside the Bell Centre.

Just curious, what player are you talking about here?

44. j2c says:

Try stubhub or fanxchange.com

45. mike g says:

Best thing about preseason hockey…..

Being able to play Mise-O-Jeu and not having to include a tennis match in order to have the minimum of 3 selections.

Honestly, I’m not a big sports gambler. A little 2$ or max 5$ here and there, mixing a couple of wins and ties with hockey.

And I’m glad that it all begins tonight!!!!  Maybe I can make a few moneys with some good home-dogs tonight….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

What do PG and Tony have in common?

One’s a Vermontonian and the other is a VerminTonyan

47. SeriousFan09 says:

Pronger being used to showcase a legal hit… epic fail.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

48. Harani says:

Guys, It’s my dad’s bday tomoro and he was supposed to be out of town for a meeting but it turns out he will in Mtl. I was wondering if you know any place I can find tickeets for tomorrow’s game. Any help would be appreciated! Thanx!

“It must be love!”

49. AndyF says:

In case no one’s been to the Centre Sportif Bell, here are a few photos:

AndyF

50. mike g says:

The win defenitely goes to Tampa for one reason…

We have the Vermontian PG, while they have Yzerman.

Stevie Y is the new Chuck Norris, can’t beat him.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

51. jrshabs1 says:

Go Habs Go!!!

52. jrshabs1 says:

Go Habs Go!!!

53. Kooch7800 says:

That sucks. I want to see this kid in action!

54. Chuck says:

Has anyone checked out the NHL video concerning headshots? A check to the head from the blindside is illegal, but a check from the front, to the head, is still legal.

The NHL’s point of view? It’s the responsibility of the player who’s going to be hit to be aware of who’s on the ice, and to get out of the way. That’s like arresting a shooting victim for not being able to dodge the bullet.

Take a look at the 3:00 minute mark of the video for an example of a hit delivered by Pronger as to what constitutes a legal hit.

So the NHL isn’t really making hits to the head illegal; only the manner in which they’re delivered. NHL rules committee = fail.

55. Kooch7800 says:

lol nice read.  Good points.  I see you have thought about this quite a bit.

I believe Mtl has some fantastic prospects currently but we have a lot of question marks going into this season, ie. Ak 46, Pouliot, Price, Eller, and Boyd.  I think this team will do just fine though. As long as they can stay out of the IR they should make the playoffs.

The question marks make it more interesting and i think the majority of them will succeed with flying colours.

56. SeriousFan09 says:

I am applying a different standard to Lecavalier, but that’s because of his billing, he has twice in his whole career posted the real Superstar number and Gomez while not as flashy or talented has solidly produced for most of his NHL career, had Gionta not missed time, Gomez would easily have hit 50 again last season.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

57. SeriousFan09 says:

Official Canadiens site has Schultz sitting out tommorow night’s match, rather see him over Conboy.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

58. matraque says:

2 times for Koivu as well.

——

Canadien en 5!

Never go Full Retard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svwGRJA28lY&feature=related

59. riazp says:

Fantastic post! Your right about the gomez vs lecavalier comparision…Just that they are not really the same type of player i.m.o…Lecavalier is a goal scorer, gomez creates the play on the rush.

But your right about the health aspect, gomez never really had a serious injury, and the contract situation is bang on, I never saw it that way, his contract is up and we will have funds to sign the subbans of the world.

Fantastic post, Great job buddy

Yeah, but PG lives in the Vermonts

61. sholi2000.com says:

Thanks for the great read.

I laugh every time I hear someone praise TB.  No defense, No Goaltending, and two guys that can play hockey.

They Call Me Shane

62. avatar_58 says:

Going to the leafs/sens game tonight, wearing my Kovalev shirt :)

Unfortunately l’artiste isn’t playing :(

63. SeriousFan09 says:

Did you know?

Scott Gomez has hit 50 assists or more in 4 of his 10 NHL seasons including his rookie season.

– Vincent “Superstar” Lecavalier has hit 50 assists or more in 2 in his 11 NHL seasons.

Scott Gomez to date has had no major injuries that required surgery that would lead to inhibiting his talents.

Vincent Lecavalier has to date, had surgery on his shoulder, twice on his wrist and this summer underwent knee surgery, there has been a notable decline in his game since these surgeries have taken place. I hear good wrists are handy for scoring goals.

Scott Gomez’s contract ends after the 2013-14 season.  Most of the team’s young players will will still be RFAs when this occurs.

Vincent Lecavalier’s contract ends after the 2019-2020 season. For perspective, P.K. Subban will have celebrated his 30th birthday when this happens.

If the Montreal Canadiens had used their 6th overall pick to select a prospect who barely played last season because of bad hips, Gainey and PG would have been burned in effigy outside the Bell Centre.

Guy Boucher has yet to coach 1 NHL game?

Martin St. Louis is 35 years old and his  new 4-year extension kicks in when he’s 36? It’s a 35+ contract so it can not come off the salary cap and it’s a hit of 5.625 a year? Better hope he doesn’t slown down any time soon?

Montreal’s own small speedster, Brian Gionta has his contract end at age 35, now doesn’t that sound reasonable?

Ryan Malone, the best power forward option for TB is locked in at 4.5 million with an NTC until 2015?

Montreal’s options for PF are Andrei Kostitsyn and Benoit Pouliot, while both not terribly reliable, combined add up to 4.6 million and PG can pick up the phone and get rid of them both tommorow?

Neither Mike Smith nor Dan Ellis have held down a No. 1 goaltending job in the NHL?

The TB top G prospect Dustin Tokarski was a WJC hero for Canada, but we know those guys are terribly unreliable so the TB Lightning have no future in net?

The 4-7 defencemen in the TPB organization are Brett Clark, Randy Jones, Mike Lundin and Matt Smaby? Yes you remember Smaby’s name because its’ a bit funny but who are these guys? I have no idea either!!!

Montreal’s Bottom-6 today is Tom Pyatt, Travis Moen, Max Lapierre, Lars Eller, Dustin Boyd and Jeff Halpern. Tampa Bay’s Bottom-6 today is Dominic Moore, Ted Purcell, Sean Bergenheim, Nate Thompson, Blair Jones and Chris Durno? Advantage to who? Hint, it isn’t a welfare case team in a Southern State.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

64. riazp says:

“- The Leafs are fighting with themselves and with women. So, basically they’re fighting with women…”

That made my day, thank you

65. Chuck says:

Andie Bennett could read the ingredients off of a cereal box and she’d still hold my attention.  :)

66. Storm Man says:

Hmmmm nice lineup, Conboy and Schultz on the same line? that would be alot of fun :)

67. riazp says:

Its only pre-season but still better than no hockey at all…I will be watching it to kill time till the ultimate fighter is on…Should be interesting to see how Leblanc reacts to a full bell center croud…and how he plays vs nhl players, well some at least. Price and sanford will be splitting the nets…I thing sanford should have been the back up this year and save money on auld.

68. mrhabby says:

Pauline Marois..have nothing better to do with your time..get a life lady, MLA..whatever.

69. HFX-HabFan says:

I don’t think it’s the first time the lights have gone out at Brossard.  What’s wrong with the place?

70. Rugger says:

Excellent post

71. ckckckc says:

Is RDS going to have the online broadcast package? I can’t seem to find a link on the site.

Let me know!

~live and let live~ GO HABS GO!

Ck

72. Da Hema says:

“Lights just went out at the rink. Or I’m having a stroke.”

Heheh….

————————

–Hunter S. Thompson

73. mike g says:

A few random thaughts on this Exhibition eve….

– Tampa Bay already has the #1 ranked PP in the league, even though the season hasn’t started yet.

– Rumor has it, if the NHL goes to the Winter Olympics in Russia in 2014, the Tampa Bay Lightining will be participating in the Mens Ice Hockey tournament. The IIHF and the NHL are so impressed by Yzerman’s “bold” moves, that they think the Lightning will be able to matchup well against countries like Canada, Sweeden, Russia, etc…Tampa is already the favorites to win the Olympics.

– The Leafs are fighting with themselves and with women. So, basically they’re fighting with women…

– Pouliot and AK are fighting for their spots, and JM says their top 6 roles will not be given to them like they were last year. Apparently AK is really mad, because alcoholic drinks and bad haircuts will also not be given to him this year.

– Benoit “Oyoyoyoye” Brunet was supposed to be fired or let go by RDS this year. This was confirmed a few months ago, and I remember Joel “I move my hands too much” Bouchard was gonna replace him. Then, listening to the french radio last week, I heard that Brunet will be braught back this year because they were unable to complete the change in time for the start of the year or something. Just great news….

– Finally, many people not called experts are trying to convince themselves and people on forums that the Leafs will finish higher than the Habs. IMO, this story is entirely linked with a mass shipment of “bad buzz” green grass that apparently arrived in Canada last week. Other symptoms include blaming the Habs for not having enough frenchmen on their roster.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.