Audio: Comments from the rehabbing Habs

An offday for the Canadiens today, who returned home immediately after Monday’s 5-3 victory over Philadelphia.

But there was a little action around the Bell Centre, with the injured Francis Bouillon, Christopher Higgins and Georges Laraque happy to say a few words.

Inside/Out’s heartfelt thanks to Andie Bennett of The Team 990, who provided the audio content you’ll hear below – all of it cut up into tiny bite-sized morsels, not the huge, rambling files we usually post here. Read below for the links:

Georges Laraque:

We’ll be tough to beat;
Ready for the end of fantasy camp;
His goal is to make his teammates feel safe;
Great for him if other teams take liberties;
On watching the Flyers’ rough play;
Up to Guy Carbonneau when he plays;
Caught up in 100 years of Habs history;
Death of Cherapanov put things in perspective.

Christopher Higgins:

Only a game can test the groin;
Most likely back in action on Saturday;
Must be more careful now;
1993 Cup is his best memory as a kid;
What’s impressed him;
What he’s seen watching games.

Francis Bouillon:

On starting the season injured – again;
On the team’s season-starting road trip;
On the Flyers;
On Cherapanov;
Hoping to be back on Saturday;
Can’t tell if he’s ready to go yet.

1. Big Bird says:

My few cents from the peanut gallery Harani:

(1) Gaborik is a left winger and he would certainly add some speed but who do we give up? If I’m Doug Riseborough (loved him as a Hab) I’m going to be asking for young players and not anyone who is becoming a UFA.

So by process of elimination Koivu, Kovalev, Lang, Tanguay, Dandenault, Begin, Kostopolous and Komisarek are all out. That leaves us with the following roster players and prospects:

Kyle Chipchura, Chris Higgins, Andrei Kostitsyn, Sergei Kostitsyn, Lapierre, Latendresse, Plekanec, Pacioretty, White, Kristo, Fisher, Subban, Weber, Fisher, McDonough.

(2) It’s unlikely that the Wild want any defensemen as they are pretty deep (which is why they let Belle and we acquired him) so they are looking for forwards. If I’m Dougie Riseborough I’m asking for Higgins, one of the Kostitsyn brothers, a prospect and a draft pick. I don’t know if Gainey will deal on such a demand or if such a demand is realistic but I’m asking for those players.

(3) It then becomes a question if Gaborik is worth such a price when he could easily walk a free agent at the end of the year. Candidly, I think chemistry is a big thing and I like what our team has going for it. I also believe that success now in today’s NHL means having young players who can contribute without taking you salary cap out of whack. Even if we did make a move for Gaborik, I don’t know how we could keep him and other key UFA’s like Komisarek, Koivu, Kovalev and Tanguay. Odds are that we could not.

So as much as I’d love to see Gaborik flying down the wing for a quick pass from Koivu or Lang (sorry but Plekanec is sticking with Kovalev and Kostitsyn), I’ll take a pass and keep our team as is.

2. habs-13 says:

My thoughts exactly. The chemistry on this team is unbelievable, and I wouldn’t want to mess with it too much. Gaborik is a risky pickup because of his history with groin injuries and the fact the he becomes a UFA after this season. We have too many free agents coming up and I don’t think Gainey is looking to add another.

3. habs-13 says:

LIGHTNING SIGN VETERAN FREE AGENT DEFENCEMAN MALIK

Atleast they are attemting to address their problems.

4. Number31 says:

And that would be the worst trade of Bob’s tenure, considering how important those players are (especially the Kostitsyns) and Gaborik would probably get injured first shift on the ice…

5. twocents says:

Let’s keep in mind that this is pure unsubstantiated speculation. There are some logical reasons why Montreal might make sense as a destination for Gaborik but, there are no reports of there being any dialogue between the two teams. This came up a couple of weeks ago. As many reasons as there are to think this makes sense, there is one huge one that says it is a long shot, the Habs cap situation and the impending FA’s next July. An acquistition of this sort would not only cost roster players and the clearing of more to make cap space but, it would also mean less of our remaining players being able to be signed next summer. Because, Gainey would not deal if he didn’t intend to sign him long term. All of this for a player who has proven prone to injury?

Personally, I don’t see it happening and if it did, I would be shocked to see it include a Kostitsyn.

Malik is 6’6′ and plays like he is 5’6′, although he is great in a shootout:-) Can’t wait for the first time he goes head to head with Melrose.

Going for the Brass Ring – 25 Cups in 100 Years

Harani – This story went around a week or so ago. Like everything else in life, there is what we want and what we need. We don’t need Gaborik, especially at the price he would cost, both in roster players and disruption to our team chemistry (not implying that he is a negative influence).

Going for the Brass Ring – 25 Cups in 100 Years

8. StillattheMapes says:

I am sure Big Georges will do just fine on the heavy-weight stuff, and he actually has some touch, i.e., he can score if he is a position to do so. I have always argued for an enforcer on the team (cf), you absolutely just have to have one these days, as always.

The only thing. He has to play, otherwise he has not the benefit or utility we would like. I think he can add some dimension, and he can crush play up as a forward, though he is more than just a little slightly awkward on his skates. Me, I play him at least 50%.

On the real side, the best player we have ever had in a Habs jersey to fill this role is, yes, ta-ra-ta-ta

Chris Nilan.

The only thing my old man and I ever agreed on, and Nilan hated the Bruins, as do I.

Oh yes. home-opener tomorrow night.

Thank God we will not have to sing the anthem…………

9. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

well…what I dreamed and yelled about for over the last couple years has finally (almost) come true… WELCOME LAROCK! he will will bring justice to the ice, not the damn refs…Larock! and that is a key ingredient to making a run. Can’t wait for him to play his first game…and then we will be complete.