Audio: Challenging weekend begins in Buffalo

The Canadiens are off to Buffalo this afternoon, ready to begin a back-to-back Friday-Saturday weekend against the Sabres, then home to the Boston Bruins.

The Gazette’s Pat Hickey caught up to one head coach and two players in the Canadiens’ dressing room after today’s practice in Verdun for these comments:

Head coach Guy Carbonneau on changes to his lines, among other things, as he shuffles his deck by switching Michael Ryder for Tom Kostopoulos on his No. 1 line. Clip runs 5:00.

Goalie Cristobal Huet on starting tomorrow in Buffalo, and on back-to-back games. Clip runs 2:24.

Forward Christopher Higgins on his new linemate, Kostopoulos, and on the challenge that awaits in Buffalo. Clip runs 3:12.

1. Chuck says:

Chorske, you forgot to mention “elementary school” in your description.

______________________________________________
    “Vote Saku for All-Star… or little Timmy gets it!!!”

2. Chuck says:

Trading for Doan is the kind of thinking that has the leafs where they are.

______________________________________________
    “Vote Saku for All-Star… or little Timmy gets it!!!”

3. Chorske says:

LOL, Naila’s got her first crush. An all-caps-typing Leafs fan troll crush, but hey! 😉

4. Chorske says:

Uh, NO. You’d trade our number one goalie and best scorer for the past two years AND a couple of draft picks for DOAN? I dropped him from my fantasy pool team, for petes sakes. 😉

Here are the ground rules as I see them:
    1. winning teams dont trade their #1 goalie. EVER.
    2. smart teams don’t trade proven scorers in the middle of a slump, when their stock is artificially low.
    3. the habs aren’t in the habit of trading draft picks

Come on, our goalies and our prospects are our biggest assets and you’ll throw a bunch away for DOAN? At least go for Malkin or Kovalchuk or someone of that calibre.

5. Chorske says:

I seriously doubt Huet is on the table. How many times does Carbo need to say Huet is the team’s #1 goalie before you guys believe him? I’d be willing to believe Halak or Danis might be on the table, but I think the Habs would need to slide to .500 before that trigger got pulled.

6. Chorske says:

Holy crap, that’s AWESOME. Nice photoshop on that one. Met him in a bar in Quebec City a couple summers ago- he’s a friend of a friend of a friend- and he seemed decent enough. Definitely wouldn’t mind seeing him in a Habs uniform- too bad he’s signed for a couple more years.

7. Habsfan39 says:

Go get your head checked
    (bodychecked)
    -Donovan

8. Naila Jinnah says:

Ha! Higgy peaks, it’s true 😛 But usually, I have to pump the audio to hear everything he says, so good call by Pat! I’d rather have the peaks 😉

9. Lee Hayes says:

Sorry chum, no IT guy here.
    perhaps you need to install Quicktime?

Go Habs Go

10. Naila Jinnah says:

Out of curiosity, why was that comment addressed to me?! :S

11. teamplayer says:

mmm having a beer and watching the leafs lose, I couldnt have had a better night.

12. Proudones says:

I can’t seem to get the audio. Can you offer any suggestions?

13. calvee123 says:

I just cringe every time I read “Trade Huet” I sincerly hope they don’t trade him. We will need both goalies come crunch time Feb-March. Mark my words all. I just don’t see how trading Huet can benifit us. The Canadiens need to have a mentor for Price, and they need to have someone who can back up Huet. I just pray they keep both.

I hope tomorrow the Habs come out flying and moving the puck like they can. They will not fair well playing slow against a fast team like Buffalo if they don’t play a high speed tempo game with lots of dumpins and crash and bang enthusiasm.

14. Lee Hayes says:

Gives me Goosebumps!

Go Habs Go

15. Lee Hayes says:

Talk about great motivation though, He doesn’t want to have to listen to every source of media that squacks horse$%!&, blaming him for all their troubles. So he preforms, secretly hoping that his stock will rise high enough for a cup contender to consider working a deal with Fooljr.
    Waddaya think about them apples?

Go Habs Go

16. Lee Hayes says:

I thought maybe the mic was a little close to Higgy’s mouth. LOL. The sound was very rich though.
    It’s neat having met a few of the reporters, being able to put the faces to the voices.

Go Habs Go

17. ClaytonM says:

and the laffs 2nd goal was another sundun special BS rebound. I can’t wait for his little hot streak to dry up, so every laffs fan can go back to whining about him.

18. Naila Jinnah says:

Oooh! The first audio since the upgrade!

19. Lee Hayes says:

I think Scotty90 is a beer rep.
    I had to go crack one!

Also the laffs lost! Hurray!

Go Habs Go

20. A. Berke says:

Earlier I had suggested Marek Svatos from the Avs for Ryder + ?

Svatos is good and will be a very good match for our first (or any other) line and apparently he’s not happy there.

But now that Theodore is doing well there, they may not need a goalie but someone else? Or a 3-way trade?

Something is in the air anyways. we shall see soon.

Ali B.

21. sholi2000.com says:

Huet will kick the crapo out of the Sabres. We have the best tandem in the NHL! Go Canadiens!

sholi2000.com
    God Bless Our Infantry

22. CH1909-2009 says:

I hear ya but I’d say Atlanta is more likely: a team that probably won’t end up biting us in the ass later in the (post)season… western conference more likely but I just don’t know enough about the West in terms of who needs goaltending and could part with a top-6 forward….. Los Angeles?

GO HABS GO

23. Rugger says:

They will never trade Huet within the Conf. especially to a team that should finish high but is struggling.

24. CHcoach says:

I would like to think a trade could be imminent. Moving Huet,Begin/Dandenault and Ryder can certainly bring a very big impact player a la Kovalev. It would also free up space to bring up Sergei Kostisyn and Lapierre. I can see a Mtl Pittsburgh deal happening, M.A Fleury is not doing the job and Huet would certainly move them closer to the top.

Your comments apprciated.

CH Coach

25. A. Berke says:

Nightmare_49 & Scotty90:

I think it’s the subliminal message that the beer mug is sending out 🙂
    BTW I feel thirsty now as well.

Congratulations to TK, I hope it works out well for him and his “new” linemates, he definitely deserved this with his hard work. I’m sure he’ll do a lot better and be more contributing overall than Ryder has been this year.

On the other hand, like some other posters mentioned above, I too, am a bit worried about being out-shot by the opponent teams lately, and frankly we were over-played by the laffs (IMO, we stole that game which makes things even). The team needs to keep the intensity and the discipline at the highest level (hint hint Markov!). No sense looking down upon the sabres, they are a decent team that can surprise us if we are not careful.

cheers,

Ali B.

26. CH1909-2009 says:

I share your worries on that front: they have seriously fallen into a defensive shell lately, a great shell but a shell nonetheless. I think, though, that it has more to do with the slumping first line than wth a greater change in team tactics or philosophy….

GO HABS GO

27. CH1909-2009 says:

Interestingly I heard Lever saying S. Kostytsin seems like he needs a lot better work ethic. Lapierre was just told to find an apartment in Hamilton according to rumor. I’d say possibly Lahti could be called up: he has size, speed and hands, was just a little overwhelmed at camp by the new situation….

GO HABS GO

28. CH1909-2009 says:

Yup. Nice eh???

GO HABS GO

29. Higgins21 says:

Just checked the Bulldogs’ stats. Surprised and disappointed to see that D’Agostini is -8. Looks like S. Kostitsyn and Lapierre are leading the race to be first call-up.

30. Higgins21 says:

Winning teams are built from goal out. We have arguably the best one-two goaltending punch. On D we have Norris candidate (Markov) and a future (Komisarek) along with the veteran presence of Hamrlik. With some additions and subtractions on the front lines, I see no reason why we can’t be legitimate contenders.

31. showey47 says:

We have got to have a better solution than t.k. on the first line. I like the guy but it has already been proven that he is much better on the fourth line than anywhere else in the lineup. I know lats doesn’t deserve to play on the top line, but he has proven that he is most effective there and would add the physical dimension the koivu line lacks.

How about we finally call up lapierre and try him on the wing, he can skate with these guys, be physical and is defensivly responsible. Does anyone else think lapierre could possibly become a bigger,faster version of ryan smyth? Just a thought

32. Justin says:

Is that Lecavalier in a Habs uniform (in your picture)?

33. Scotty90 says:

The Teacher… absolutely! lets not forget Ferguson. he played on the same line as Beliveau and even with his cement hands he’d net 20+ goals a year(i think they played under 60 games/year back then?). Its all about who you’re playing with. Who knows, Kosto may be a diamond in the rough! what a Cinderella story it could be for him. wish him all the best!

34. The Teacher says:

Scotty90 I do agree with your assessment that it will provide protection for Koivu…and possibly spare him the pounding he takes since he always goes into the corners (don’t forget, giving hits is hard on the body too).

35. CH1909-2009 says:

I don’t disagree but I’d also like to see Dandy given a chance up there, call me crazy…

GO HABS GO

36. CH1909-2009 says:

We are too well organized in the back for these guys. 4-1 Habs!

GO HABS GO

37. Scotty90 says:

Nightmare_49 …. its making me thirsty too!

38. Leo Zaharatos says:

I wouldn’t stress this issue right now. Let them experiment a bit. It’s a good time to do this.