Audio: Carbo on Kostitsyn hit, Halak and more

Here’s Canadiens head coach Guy Carbonneau at the Bell Centre today, after Carbo’s "in the gym or on the ice" workout day as his Canadiens prepare to face the Florida Panthers at home Monday night.

The Habs will then have four full days to prepare for their next game, Saturday at home against the Anaheim Ducks.

1. nightmare_49 says:

Empty Netters – Niklas Kronwell off to Slow Start – D.J.King has Shoulder Issues .. by Seth Rorabaugh ….. http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs/emptynetters/default.aspx ……………………… Panther PreVu .. by S.Gorten .. (an excerpt) .. The Panthers haven’t lost in regulation here in Montreal in five years and were better on the road than at home last season ….. http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_hockey_panthers/ ……………………………. Avery in New York, Media Frenzy Begins .. by Larry Brooks ….. http://www.nypost.com/seven/10202008/sports/rangers/averys_back__alert_page_six__134362.htm

2. Blitzen says:

I don`t think Vokoun could have stopped too many of the goals the boys put in last game. If the Habs keep the pedal floored, they`ll win.
    _____________________________________________________
    Mad Pax…Beyond Powerdome

3. Blitzen says:

Totally agree. Laraque will mean that Komi doesn`t have to fight goons. But I think respect will come from having solid hitters on every line. Lats is really bringing it this year. The fourth line hits all the time. SKoz gets the occasional solid hit in and AKoz was doing it as well. Our D-men can take the body as well.

I sincerely hope that the hit on AKoz doesn`t result in him shying away from contact. But he does have to play with his head up. We wouldn`t be talking about the legality of the hit if he did.
    _____________________________________________________
    Mad Pax…Beyond Powerdome

4. G-Man says:

The only game until Saturday and it has to be the Panthers. Habs always have a tough time with this team (close games). Let’s hope Vokoun does his Theo in Colorado impression.

Gilbert
    2008/09 is the season of the Habs

5. Habs fan in SF says:

so i had a long discussion over several beers at a bar with a detroit transplant (wings fan) here in san francisco … i give him credit for actually standing toe-to-toe with me, as far as hockey talk goes, BUT when he told me laraque was a bad signing for us, i about lost it. he told me laraque wasn’t a good “enforcer” because nobody wants to drop the gloves with him? i immediately threw any hockey cred he had out the window, with that statement. maybe he had one too many beers, but he didn’t seem to understand my point that the fact that nobody wants to drop the gloves with big Georges (sauer…errr, pussy!) means that opponents won’t take liberties by taking cheap shots at out star players. i love the fact that laraque immediately took a b-line towards sauer on his shift right after that hit on AK46. we’re talking about a guy who once said he would never play for the habs in an interview (yeah, but we all forgive him) and he understands what he has to do and he placed his teamate and his team ahead of himself and knew he had to take care of business. that right there, made me a laraque fan. i have a good feeling about this team this year, and we haven’t even fully gelled yet. to me, although you won’t see it in the box score, laraque has added a dimension that we need so desperately.

6. Xtrahabsfan says:

Yo bidds55,habsRmyteam is going to need keyboard counseling and see a blog therapist,lol

7. Xtrahabsfan says:

8. bidds55 says:

A request to the tech folks at habsinsideout, is there anyway to bring in an “ignore” option? Morons like habs R my team really ruin the enjoyment of this usually excellent site. If I had to option to block him, it would greatly enhance my enjoyment, and I believe the enjoyment of other users of the site. Thank you.

For anyone interested, there is an awesome hockey card show at Centre Pierre Charbonneau in Montreal Oct 24, 25, 26 (the weekend of the HIO summit). I have no affiliation with it, but I’ll be there, as will Carey Price, Andrei & Sergei Kostitsyn and more!

9. Gormdog says:

I appreciate Laraque’s presence and he adds another dimension, but I question how much he changes another team’s approach to the game. Excluding the token team goon, no one will fight Big Georges. Also, a player like Begin is way more likely to land that crushing clean check in retribution.

Laraque adds something to our team, but I think it lies way more in the “aftermath” of a cheap shot than the prevention thereof. Momentum is a fickle thing and i’ll take it any way we can get it, whether it be a quick goal or a fight won.

10. habs100years says:

I like the way that Carbonneau is sharing the goaltending responsibilities, with equal play for Price and Halak. For now its working well, but you got to believe that Price will get more game playing time in the near future.

And yes, its good to hear A.Kostitsyn is feeling better. I can’t hardly imagine what a healthy 2008-09 Canadiens team will do this year.

==========================================================================
    Celebrating 100 Years of Montreal Canadiens Hockey
    Celebrate with Us!!! Stats, Stories, Polls and a whole lot more…
    ========================

11. Mattee. says:

I just breathed a sigh of relief. Glad to hear A. Kost. is feeling better.

Get Well Soon!!

12. habs100years says:

Robert L, Nice websites and analysis!

==========================================================================
    Celebrating 100 Years of Montreal Canadiens Hockey
    Celebrate with Us!!! Stats, Stories, Polls and a whole lot more…
    ========================

13. habs R my team says:

now we just need to get the PP working. looked very disorganized last night. Now that we’re scoring more 5 on 5, I expect our PP goals to go down. Msybe we’ll have a more balanced attack, and not having to depend on the PP so much. I wish they would bring up Pacioretty to avoid putting Kostopoulos on the 3rd line.

14. mbplekfan says:

Pacioretty belongs in the minors. Quit trying to short circuit his development.

Latendresse is our power forward for the time being. Pacioretty will get his chance next year after he spends a year in the A learning how to be a pro hockey player without all the pressure and with guys his own age.

15. twocents says:

Saku would get tired, would start hooking other players, would be more susceptible to injuries, would likely have stretches where he was ineffective, his face-off percentage would drop, in games where we are trailing and Carbo wants to use him more he might find Saku has less gas than ideal… and he might become irritable.
    (while I delivered that somewhat facetiously, I do believe the point I am making, I think Carbo is being very smart with him. But, in a purely theoretical sense, as in prorate his point totals to reflect 20 minutes of ice time and he’d be way out in front of the pack. But that’s just theoretical and faulty reasoning at that.)

16. bigjames says:

as the father of an infant, i am more or less forced to listen to nursery rhymes all day long when i am at home. one pops into mind: “oh the old grey mare just ain’t what she used to be…” point was made by carbo in a recent press conference, and i agree, koivu’s effectiveness would possibly decrease with more mins. he is doing an awesome job so far and i am happy with this particular old grey mare. keep it up saku. and BG, please don’t trade him!

17. habs R my team says:

what makes you think Pacioretty belongs in the minors?
    And he WILL be with the habs THIS season! Even Carbo said that!
    So exactly how many goals has Latentless had in the last 3 games?????

18. Gary320 says:

Going to only look at his last 3 games? LMAO. 1.. fine. Now look at how many points he’s had.. 6 pts in 5 games. That’s pretty f.ing good if you ask me..

Hes had the right amount of intensity that the fans and the media has been looking from him.. I think he deserves some slack because hes been pretty good as of late.. (this is coming from a Gui-Disliker)

Pac should stay in the bulldogs for atleast a few weeks.. again I was one of those who wanted him part of the team but there is no RUSH for him to be part of the team. The team is fine with out him.. just as much as they would be fine with him.. when the Habs go down the losing slump.. which is BOUND to happen.. then maybe we can look to call him up..

19. JIMVINNY says:

Carbo said “maybe”. No guarantees. I’m thinking he would not appreciate you putting words in his mouth.

And the fact that he has never played more than 40 games in a season means he should spend a year in the minors. He needs to acclimatize his body to the rigors of a professional season. NCAA hockey pales in comparison even to our junior leagues.

P.S. Your nonsensical and irrational jabs at Latendresse are only making you look more ridiculous than ever. He’s in the top 25 in scoring, and has a great +/-, while laying some great hits at the same time. So shut yer trap.

20. CHsam says:

Yeah he should be scoring 3 goals per game! As if that would happen even with Max Pac. The kid needs to adjust himself and get ready first.

21. Ground Chuck says:

Perhaps you should go play some road hockey in heavy traffic.

22. filincal says:

to start…the simple fact he hasn’t played more than 35 games a season, he’s only 19 and playing a very demanding forward position.
    There’s no NEED to rush his progress, our boys are doing just fine right now without him.

I BLEED BLEU BLANC ET ROUGE!!!

23. Xtrahabsfan says:

Gui Gui Gui Gui Gui

24. habs R my team says:

he’s now 21, and in his 3rd year, and Pacioretty at age 18,is better than him. you’ll see! let’s trade Latentless for someone talented.

25. bidds55 says:

You never fail to make the most retarded comments.

Pacioretty’s stats at the AHL level this season:

ZERO GOALS, ONE ASSIST FOR ONE (1!!!!!) POINT! His plus/minus is even (0). That’s in 4 games.

Latendresse’s stats at the NHL level this season:

1 Goal, 5 Assists for 6 points (good enough to put him in the top 30 in league scoring by the way), his plus minus is +5, which has him tied at 11th in the NHL. He is tied for 12th in the league in hits as well.

In short, that makes your comment stupid. Please put your single solitary brain cell to better use, like for example forgetting to breath. The end.

_____________________

26. Ground Chuck says:

Do you use that line in the schoolyard?

27. JIMVINNY says:

Were you to spout your verbal diarrhea to me in person, I would. Unfortunately, I am reduced to making idle, anonymous threats, at which everyone else will laugh at, as they laugh at you and your mental midgetry.

28. TOEmastro says:

chemistry is a huge point here. Remember the Rangers in the last decade? they were the Yankees of talent but no chem. hence they sucked

the canadiens are a chem lab right now. INCLUDING gui et al.

let the staff deal with the lines and leave Patches in the minors to cook for a bit

29. Grabbed The Cup says:

‘Mental Midgetry’ ROFL! Best put-down I’ve heard in a long while, should be in Websters.
    You leave me little notes on my pillow. Told you 158 times I can’t stand little notes on my pillow. “We’re all out of cornflakes. F.U.” Took me three hours to figure out F.U. was Felix Unger!

30. CrashTheNetCrashTheNet says:

LOL @ MAKE ME!!!

As soon as I’m done making you mother I’ll make you!

31. LeGrosBill says:

Regarding Gaborik, anyone thinking BG would be more tempted to trade Koivu instead of Higgins, due to (among other things) better net cap hit?

Just wondering…

32. jimbo says:

No koivu is a ufa and free to walk after the year.They might as well keep Gaborik

33. awesomerino says:

No way. Not only is Saku our undisputed leader (look no further than the way he helped Sergei K re-focus after the hit on AK46 for the most recent example), he’s been by far our best center this year. He and Tanguay are ripping it up this year, and what’s scary is that they seem to be improving with each game.

Acquiring Gaborik, in light of his impending free agency and the salary he’ll command, would be at best a lateral move, and at worst a detriment to the continued success of the Habs.

34. CHsam says:

Personally I think trading koivu away would be a bad PR move at the moment. I’m just glad that Ryder is gone and not being a problem for Koivu’s productivity.

35. G-Man says:

BG will keep the new depth at center we have this season. That is not to say he won’t make any moves because the season is young.

Gilbert
    2008/09 is the season of the Habs

36. Blitzen says:

Why screw up the current chemistry?
    _____________________________________________________
    Mad Pax…Beyond Powerdome

37. Gormdog says:

Couldn’t have said it better myself. If there were no salary cap, I would put up with the primadonna act for the potential… But I wouldn’t give up that much when the guy is asking for 100$ million dollars next year.

38. Habs fan in SF says:

i just read your blog and i agree about him being injury prone, but, he’s a goal scorer and yeah sure he only topped 70+ pts once, but who were his linemates? with our talent, i think he could be a hell of a lot more productive with us. but i think higgins, halak, and a 1st rounder is too much – unless there was a clause if we sign him to an extension.

39. nightmare_49 says:

The Fourth Period – Kovy Wants to Stay in Montreal ….. http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/mtl081019.html ……………….. 26 year old Marian Gaborik – Wild Talking Trade with many Teams ….. http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/min081019.html ………………… Matt Stajan and Ian White on Trading Block ….. http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/tor081019.html

40. Steiner says:

I was just looking around the NHL official website, and came across something I thought I would share.
    Theres an area where you can see all the league leaders, and when it came to plus/minus check out the top five:

1. Saku Koivu | MTL 7

2. A. Markov | MTL 7

3. A. Tanguay | MTL 6

4. M. Komisarek | MTL 6

5. A. Edler | VAN 6

41. Sakuismyhero says:

beautiful.

42. major says:

Interesting…

Although it’s quite early in the season there are other compelling statistics out there:

Of the top 50 scoring leaders, 4 are habs: koivu (11th), markov(12th), lats(27th) & tanguay(28th). The interesting thing here is TOI – of the same top 50, koivu and lats have the 2nd & 3rd LOWEST average TOI… (behind some guy named Voros who has chalked up 5 goals/4 assts playing 12 minutes a game with the Rangers). Begs the question, what would happen if you gave these guys more ice?