Audio: Cammy on IR, White called up

POST-PRACTICE AUDIO: Michael Cammalleri 1 and 2 | Scott Gomez | Benoit Pouliot | Andreas Engqvist | David Desharnais

The Canadiens have placed Michael Cammalleri on their injured reserve list and called up Ryan White from the Hamilton Bulldogs.

Although Max Pacioretty and Jeff Halpern are skating in Brossard this morning, they are day-to-day. But Benoit Pouliot is back at practice.

The lines: Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Eller; Pacioretty-Gomez-Gionta; Pouliot-Desharnais-Darche; Pyatt-Engqvist-Moen.

The team announcement:

Ryan White will join the Canadiens in Ottawa, for tomorrow’s game against the Senators at Scotiabank Place.

The
6-foot, 198-pound centreman, aged 22, played 16 games with the Canadiens
last season, including his first game in the NHL on November 5 at
Boston. He recorded two assists and five shots on goal, while averaging
11:09 minutes of ice time per game.

White totals 10 points (2 goals, 8
assists) in 28 games this season with the Bulldogs. One of his goals
has been tallied on the power play. He has collected 55 shots on goal
and served 64 penalty minutes. White missed 14 games earlier this season
due to a lower-body injury incurred on November 19 at Rochester.

A native of Brandon, Man., White was the Canadiens’ fourth pick (third round, 66th overall) in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft.

1. krob1000 says:

Halak was the main reason, closely followed by Cammalleri we went tot heConference Finals (since when is that a gause ayway..are we the LEafs reliving our almost cup final in 93?).  Lapierre, Moore,etc were part of that team too and played very well so I can’t buy that.  They fell short…just as short as the Koivu led teams taht led the conference in the reg seson and made it tot he second round and lost to essentially the same team…no real diff there ..sorry don;t see it. Sure Gio and Gomez playing togetehr is one of our greatest assets…it better be…it is one of the highest paid duos i the league…..shall we atart comparingt heir results with other well paid duos? shall we look at selke voting instead? give it up all…it’s impossible.

2. TomNickle says:

Gomez is a great distributor of the puck, but anyone who compared his passing ability to Gretzky is on acid.

3. TomNickle says:

I have no problem with the Spacek or Gill signings.  Spacek is terribly underrated and consistently takes abuse when his counter part is pardon me, but terrible, beyond terrible and this franchises insistence in relying on him to play a large role is the biggest thing holding them back in my opinion.  I say that because he is not only incapable of doing it, but he has never shown the ability to do it consistently.  It is like allowing Halpern to centre our first line.

On Koivu, I love him.  As a defensman, Gomez is a hell of a lot scarier to me.  I know playing against Koivu that I’m going to have to work my ass off all night, but he’s never going to overcome my hardest working game with his skill.  Gomez would worry me in that regardless of how well I played, if he’s on, my work can’t overcome his skill.

Like I said, two different players, but a change in direction was needed.  I don’t think it was Koivu’s fault that the other vets quit playing, but he didn’t do enough to try to get them back on track, if he had, he’d still be here.

You still haven’t answered my question.  You can’t assume that Richards was available.  Especially considering Bob Gainey’s relationship with that franchise and Carbo’s relationship with their captain.

4. krob1000 says:

??? I can’t even respond to that…I’ve seen the movie The Fan too many times.

5. krob1000 says:

We don’t know..will never know..we all know that Tom..I do find it hard to believe at the time Brad Richards could not have been had for relatively the same cost….and he is better in both ends..and only had two years. We took a chace on Gomez who was coming off a bad year…Koivu would have been a better alternative IMO…we’ll have to agree to disagree there…..if Gomez is such a great leader why does Brodeur scoff at the idea of him being a leader…yet in Anaheim Koivu gets nothng but praise for his leadership.  I think we all know in retrospect taht Souray and Kovy were far bigger problems than Koivu’s alleged lack of leadership….you can;t lead that group ( or is everyone in this situation going to defend Sergei, Ryder, Higgins, Souray, Kovy, Tanguay,etc)………all guys whoeveryone says were detrimental…yet we dumped Koivu for not being able to lead them????? doesn’t make much sense….What is Gionta doing to that Koivu didn’t besides playing with a completely diff’t team? ? I may have even liked the Gomez trade if it were us getting the first rounder and winning the rest of the trade…maybe it is a little easier to digest but we got our asses kicked in that deal….I would have liked the deal also if we jhad kept Koivu and stil went with the three contributin offensive line apporach too…..can you imagine being able to roll out Gomez, Koivu and PLeks….that was a possibility……we chose guys like Spacek and Gill over Koivu.

you insist on making this aobut Koivu so I will be happy to address it from that perspective but if Koivu wanted to go ..and he may have….then fine …but if we chose to cast him aside for Gomez and paid this much to do…it was a mistake.

6. Mark C says:

I was pointing out that it is unfair to compare a free agent contract to RFA and non-free agent contracts. Gomez’s contract was artificially higher than the others because he entered the open market.

7. VancouverHab says:

Scott Gomez is a winner, and a proven and a repeat winner. His ability to transition and penetrate the offensive zone and his ability to read the game and pass are at a Gretzky level (not to say that the whole player Scott Gomez is at the whole player Wayne Gretzky level — just to state the obvious.) This is Central Scouting’s evaluation, by the way.

Gomez draws whining remarks from journalists, announcers and some fans for ‘giving the puck away’–what they refer to is a pass that goes nowhere or ends up picked up by an opponent. 7 times out of 10, that is Gomez passing to the perfct place but no-one having the abiliyty to have read the play and get in the special spot. This happens in other sports with elite players and not elite teammates.

When we played without Gomez this year, we were really terrible — I mean Toronto Maple Leafs bad. His quality is an asset to the team on many levels, and adds to a leadership core of Stanley Cup winners that brought us success last year, and is indispensible for any hope of success this year. (Pleks, Cammi, Gionta, Gill & Moen are all on the same page with Gomez in many ways, and that includes their demand (backed by Martin & Gainey) for P.K. Subban to shut up & grow up.)

Any team with a shot at the Cup would take Gomez and contract in a heartbeat, because he would be exactly the difference between winning and also-ran. No argument. Game over.

8. joeybarrie says:

What is HILARIOUS is this. We did have 2 players before for Gomez’ salary. We never went to the Eastern Conf. Finals. WE HAVE HAD great goalies, playing great games. We have had players up in the top of the scoring, and we have had defenders playing well and producing good points. YET we didn’t beat 2 of the best teams in the league to get to the Conf Finals, and doing it without our best player for some of the games…

Yet we did it with Gomez. I’ll go and tell my Boss, thanks for giving me my 7.3 million. How much did you make in the playoffs??? Oh yeah, that much….Your welcome…

Make no mistake about it, one of our biggest assets is Gio and Gomez playing together. Don’t agree??? Then why oh why are we doing so well and they have barely played a minute if they are not together? Take away PP and PK time and Gio an Gomez are our top two players.

As for the Captain, why not give him a chance and not start bashing half way into the season… Nothing against Koivu, but EXACTLY what did he do that Gio doesnt that makes him a better captain?

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

9. krob1000 says:

???? I said that they were acquired without giving up assets….nothing about free agents.  Gomez got a large contract from the Rangers as a free agent…then we traded it for it…after the cap. IF draft picks have value then it cost us even more because we gave up Valentenko, Higgins whow as a first, Mcondaugh who was a first and only got one first back? that argument makes no sense…..listen everyone…if I would love to be able to jsutify this deal to myself…I am a Habs fan….it doesn;t mean I don;t like Gome…I do….but I can’t rationalize the trade itself regardless of how hard I try and especially given his play outside of a good playoff run.  Lapierre and Moore had great playoff runs…so did Halak.  Gomez is the highest paid player on the team and he needs to be a leader and play hard every night…and needs to produce results…at bothends….if traded for him as a top center or even 2nd line center (which was not supposed to be the case) he is not delivering consistently..taht simple.

10. TomNickle says:

You keep dodging my question.  What viable alternative AT CENTRE was available to the Habs at the time.  You must understand that they could not count on Plekanec to lead this team into the future on the heals of a season where he had 40 points and regressed significantly in offensive output and wasn’t nearly as effective defensively as he is now.  He definitely had a wake up call somewhere in between then and last September.

I think your lack of a response leads me to believe that Koivu is your alternative.  Unacceptable.  And I’ll tell you why.  His injuries, his lack of true leadership ability and the locker room split that resulted from him and Kovalev.  Now, before you jump on me about the leadership comment I think he was a fine captain for many years here, however, when an early twenties Max Lapierre has to get up in a playoff series and tell the veterans that their effort level is unacceptable, the captain’s reign is over.  That was his job, you can say there are different types of captains, and I will completely agree.  But something we should agree on is that it’s the captains’ job to address the effort level of the team when it isn’t up to par.

That locker room was split over him and Kovalev.  Kovalev fought with Souray and won and he won with Koivu too.  I have no idea why and at this point I don’t care.  But if you ask me who I would’ve rather kept between the two I think it would be Koivu provided the team surrounding him with stronger leadership along side him.  That’s me operating under the assumption that he did well having other leaders around him though.

11. krob1000 says:

Gomez was precap….but we acquired him after cap…see the diff?

sure it is still a bad trade….Koivu’s contract was inthe desk drawer or so they say but if you dont believe that I hope you don’t believe Tanguay was injured…it was RDS and Habs sources reporting it. The Leafs problems are not only at center….they have problems everywhere….

They tried to sign Kovy and Komi…..luckily failed…win some lose some..it happens but there is no itnangible, no other factors, no other values that Scott Gomez adds that make that trade a win….none.  The impact ahs been minimized by several emerging youngplayers and a couple of shrewd moves, the cap increasing,etc…..and it is not as big of a deal as it was at the time of the trade…great that much is true and I am thankful for it…but it is still ahinderance and he needs to step up his play….all year long….not from December on…he is paid to play all year…very well…..2 points in October are 2 points in March…that simple.  People applaud mabnagement for not giveing up assets to acquire Vinny, they tried, they applaud us not signing Briere,,,we tried and then welaguhed…since he has been a force. int  he playoffs and rg seaon for that matter….yet for pre Gomez he was a regular laughing stock on  here by many the same people who defened Gomez…same with Gill….we laughed at him….then he became a Hab and now he;s great? I cna handle reasonalbe cmomparisons and differing opinions and I do feel I appreciate all of Gomez abilites…but I also appreciate his value relative to his salary (that verymuch does matter anymore), etc..and he is underperforming…..and with the biggest contract on the team it is not good.  IF he can play 82 games or even 70 of them like he played that one 8-10 game stretch or last years playoffs …you now what…he would be worth the money….but he seems to have an Adrei/Kovy quality about him….shows up when he has to…and with his money and alleged leadeership role….that is unacceptable.

12. TomNickle says:

If the goal is for them to become consistent enough defensively that they can play in a top six role which will give them the minutes needed to elevate their offensive numbers I say give Pouliot three years and give Kostitsyn one more year.  Kostitsyn, for all of his up and down offensive output actually has become a very good defensive player when he wants to be, allowing him to mature a little more and understand that consistency will pave the way for a permanent top six role shouldn’t take much longer.  On Pouliot, stupid mental mistakes in his game are still very apparent and he needs more NHL experience to get them out of his system.

13. StevieRay says:

Good one !..You know I haven’t seen Panger back on the Panel since then ..now id only HNIC could make Milbury disappear

14. LA Loyalist says:

What do you think the chances are for each of elevating results? I agree that Poo has shown tremendous flashes of skill, and no one questions AK senior’s skill – what are the odds on each and how patient should we be with each?

15. habs365 says:

when it comes to NHL calibre the Bulldogs don’t have many top six..lots of 3rd and 4th liners..the bulldogs games I’ve watched..maxwell probably the only top six NHL calibre..the rest may get better..they’re doing well in the AHL..that’s a big difference from the NHL..but than again they may come to the Habs and be a star player only time will tell…

16. TomNickle says:

Oh so Cammalleri isn’t good defensively because Jacques Martin can’t teach him to be?  Well, Marian Hossa, Martin Havlat and Daniel Alfredsson might have something to say about that.

And on the whole system thing, every team in the NHL plays one Brad.  Kovalev was good defensively in my opinion, but that’s another subject.

So why is it that Gomez, Gionta, Plekanec, Moen, Eller, Pouliot and the majority of players on this roster give a consistent effort but Kostitsyn and Cammalleri can’t?

17. Mark C says:

Out of that list only Hossa signed as a free agent, Gomez got a larger contract in part because he was a free agent. Also, each team did have to use an asset to get those players, a draft pick, which has value.

18. TomNickle says:

Gomez was acquired prior to free agency, so I don`t know what you mean by other bad signings that year.

Higgins is not valuable, Valentenko is not valuable, McDonagh may be, but the jury is still out.

I don`t know if the team could trade Gomez or not, but I don`t think salary would be as big of an issue as you think.  There are currently twelve teams who could afford his contract without sending salary back.  And a handful of others who could acquire him by sending a reasonable degree of salary back in a deal.

My question to you is, is that a bad trade if there`s no adequate alternative at the centre position at that time?  Are you seeing what the Leafs are going through in trying to acquire a centreman capable of playing at both ends of the ice?  It’s been what?  Four years?

He is not a replacement of Saku Koivu, they are two different players.  If we gave up McDonagh for Gomez and Pyatt, which is essentially what we did because Higgins and Valentenko are non factors in the NHL, I say that trade is good.

What elite free agents could we have signed since Gomez’s arrival?  Hossa?  So who plays centre?  What other free agents were there for us to sign with that money?

19. krob1000 says:

what is his value again? defensive?hope Gorges doesn;t refer to his contract…find me one defensive 7.3 million dollar player that someone traded for …. there is no justifying it….it is done but everytime it is mentioned people make all sorts of excusses for the guys not living up to the deal….it’s ridiculous…he is, it’s a generally accepted fact everywhere but on here….go to 29 other team boards and post on there you want to put together a package for Scott Gomez…see what you get? How many GM”s do you think approached Sather? We all laughed at Sather before….just like we all laughed at Gill, and Gomez…and Briere,etc….this whole I’m a Habs fan but can acknowledge no fault is crazy….you win some you lose some…that one we lost…huge…..Dominic Moore is as good defensively as Gomez, kills pemnalties, skates as well, fights, hits, has all of these other values you speak of…he is only a bit behind Gomez pace but is in a third line role….hif yo gave him Gionta and Paciretty for the seasonI’m sure he could also score 15-20 goals and get 50 points…for peanuts….he may not skate the puck into he zone as well

Gomez finished 45th in Selke voting last year, Higgins tied for 54th, Koivu was 27th.

20. Mark C says:

You need to stop thinking in terms of his total cap number, he is clearly at least bring half of that back in his value. Yes, he’s overpaid, but that number is closer to $3M than over $7M.

How is the team not great defensively? Their 6th in GAA.

21. Kooch7800 says:

Realistically, we may get one round in the playoffs maybe two.  No one in the east right now could be Philly in a 7 game series. They are way to deep in all positions and they are physical and fast. Hopefully they will go deep and then lose more players to the salary cap.

I think the West will take the cup again.

22. LA Loyalist says:

Ok. I’ve calmed down, and would just like to comment that, for any coach, you can teach defense to a certain degree to a diluted talent base, whereas  you can’t teach the gift Cammalleri has, that Kovalev had, you can’t teach what PK has, all you can do is demand effort.

For example I think that’s why Lemaire took part of the Habs system and exaggerated it when he became a coach. He didn’t have the horses to be the 70’s Habs, he had to work with the players he was given and created a system they could execute.

The risk for a less gifted coach is to be excessively systemic no matter what players you have. That is what I think is wrong with JM. A good coach adjusts to the guys he has to maximize results.

23. Chuck says:

Question: if Gainey hadn’t brought in Gomez, who would have been filling his role?

Centre Hice: Shocking photo of Cammalleri injury

24. Mark C says:

Your point about opportunity cost is interesting, however I think you conclusion is wrong. I think that reasonable value for Gomez on the free market would be at least $3.5-$4M, therefore the opportunity cost of having Gomez on the cap is $3.8M-$3.3M, and not his $7.3 cap number. Gomez’s value has to be returned somehow. Sure, you could replace Gomez and have an extra 6% of the team’s cap to play with. You also have to assume that you hit on both your players, or at least really well on one of them. What happens if one of those male players turns into Brain Rolston, or Alex Frolov?

ROI in hockey is tricky business. Ovechkin’s cap number is over $9.5M, so far this season he is producing at a point a game clip. One could make the argument that Ovie’s ROI is relatively the same as Gionta’s.

25. krob1000 says:

he has a 7.3 million dollar cap hit clause..taht is a pretty big one…you can og on about his dplay all you want but for arguments sake we’ll look at guys who are both better defensively and offensively then him and judge their contracts, then consider NONE of these guys cost anything but cash….noa ssets given up….

P Datsyuk 6.7 million, J Staal 4 million, Ryan Kesler 5 million, Nick BAckstrom 6.7,Toews 6.3, Hossa 5.25,

That year there were a lot of dumb signings…..but we didn;t wcquire him that year…we did it after the fact…which is even worse when you consider we actually gave up assets. The Gomez deal is directly responsible for us not having a legite top 6…Gomez can play…but he has many faults too and is wiorth nowhere near his cap hit..and you are kidding yourself if you think diff’t.  There are several overpaid players out tehre but I find it funny poeple on here criticize Ryder’s contract, Komisarek’s, Kovy’s,Streit’s,etc….yeaht ehy are bad…all bad but Gomez is worse…and all of those other ones wwere obtained for nothing but cash…we gave up a first rounder, a 20 goa l guy and two wildcards…it was one of the most awful trades I have ever see….at the time….trades often turn out bad years later ….but that one was bad from the word go.  Do you honestly think we could trade Gomez? if he is so great teams should be asking right?  Maybe…and I mean maybe there is an outi in the last two years as he will be making far less than his cap hit and that may be attractive to a southern team….but Gomez is very, very bad value……good player….bad, bad value. …..like it or not that is now important….it wasn;t when the money was thrown at Gomez…it was when we traded for him.

26. VancouverHab says:

We’ve been round this block a hundred times here. Your statements on the salary is totally simplistic to the point of meaninglessness.

If you don’t want to deal with the issue at a level that takes in the full range of contributing elements (which you can search the history here to learn about) then you’re venting an attitude.

27. TomNickle says:

And on the defensive capabilities of Gomez and the team`s tendency to blow leads this year.  You can`t pin that on one player, hell, you can`t pin it on five.  He is not the best defensive player on our team but he is in the elite class of defensive players at his position in the league.

28. TomNickle says:

Gomez, or a player like him was needed when the trade was made.  He`ll never perform to the level of that contract because there are only a handful of players in the league who can.

The team could not rely on a 40 point player(at the time) to become the number one centreman on the team and Saku had far too many injury issues and unsuccessful playoff appearances to be relied on or even kept at that point especially considering the General Manager was in the room for the last month of the season, watching the leadership abilities from a very close vantage point.

If we could have had another player of his capabilities it was a bad trade, if not, it`s a fine trade.  End of story.

And the truth is that none of us will ever know whether or not Bob Gainey could have acquired somebody else.

29. LA Loyalist says:

Scot Gomez: 7.35 $ Million  — 171st in NHL scoring this year.

You guys apparently don’t think it’s important for us to score. You probably think soccer is exciting.

If we were a KILLER defensive team, winning lots of games 1-0, 2-1 maybe I could buy your argument. If SG was the re-incarnation of Gainey, Carbo, Mike Keane, hell yeah, I’m fine with that. I loved those guys.

But we’re not even so great defensively, how many leads have we blown this year, badly? I’m going to run the numbers.

Yes that is my original issue with Gomez replacing Koivu. But that is irrelevant to the numbers. And yes we have injuries and now we have worse injuries, so all bets are off.

30. Guy-Guy-Guy says:

Why does that 3rd line have to be a grinding line?

We need a third scoring line that keeps the other team pined down in their end, and overwhelms their bottom D pairings.  A grinding line is what you do when there isn’t enough talent in your lineup to roll 3 lines.

With DD and Pouliot,  we don’t have that problem.   Remember how our fortune changed last year when we signed Moore to play Sk74and could roll 3 offensive lines?  Secondary scoring will do that.  Look at Philly last year;  with 3rd liners like JVR and Giroux,  they didn’t need two grinding lines.

31. TomNickle says:

He doesn`t have a clause in his contract saying that he needed to replace Koivu.  And that`s your biggest problem with Gomez.

32. LA Loyalist says:

Being leading scorer on the Habs this year is not exactly anything to call Don Cherry about. Gionta is averaging .5 points a game.

And your comment about not judging players based on salary? There are two reasons to ABSOLUTELY judge based on salary: 1. ROI (Return on Investment) what are we getting for our money?  2. Business Opportunity Cost. What else could we have done with those same dollars in a Cap situation.

Gionta is ok, I don’t really have a problem with him, but is he a Montreal Canadiens captain in the tradition thereof? Go ahead and make that argument, but you’re already wrong.

As for Gomez? For his cost we could have two male hockey players who aren’t afraid of their shadows.

Go and tell your boss that you don’t have to provide value to him for what he’s paying you. That’s hilarious.

This reads very nicely Bill. I think you covered all bases! Not many teams have the quality of depth that we do. They also will hit the skids with injuries, their turn will come.

34. RJB says:

Thats the White way of saying it.

“I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”
    – Bilbo Baggins

35. Say Ash says:

JM will make the White decision

36. oshawahabsfan says:

Max is skating, but there’s no way he’s fit to play. One hard check put him at risk in his current state for further internal injury. Not something to mess around with. Good to see White called up, although I’m more excited to see Engqvist’s first shot up in the big time. Playing white together on a line with him could ease him into the game with some familiarity. Oh and he’s a not a small centre, oh my god that’s two with him and Eller, whatever will we do!

37. habs-hampton says:

I think he sees that even when G&G aren’t scoring the effort is there. When AK and Pouliot aren’t scoring, they aren’t doing anything!

38. Gormdog says:

I just realized… all this White speculation…

Is he even going to play?!? Looks like he’s just the extra body…

39. newbrunswick troy says:

much agreed …Pouliot and Kostitsyn need to bring it to new level

also  team needs to play a ” all in balls out” style

40. krob1000 says:

Ok but that ignores the fac this role has diminished (up until this injury situation that is)…in the first 11 games of the season he played over 11 minutes only once, since then he has played under 10 minutes 11 times.  He is 172nd in the NHL faceoff wins.  We all watch the games  diff’tly but if you are seeing something diff’t than me so be it…but I have seen his role diminished, an invisible player and a shadow of what he was last year in the playoffs, I never see him take any important faceoffs and he does still kill penalties but more and more Gio and Pleks are beign used…and their offense can only be affected.  Halperns injury will definitely give Pyatt an opportunity and another crack but it for a good time now  in “go to” situations Pleks/Gio/Moen/and HAlpern have been the guys. Pyatt is definitely next in line after those guys anymore….it would be nice if he was ahead of them because Gio and Pleks are small guys and need every bit of their energy to win their physical battles offensively and utilize their speed……liek I said I am still pulling for PYatt…mainly because he was an underdog…but it hasn;t been looking good.

41. Mattyleg says:

Buncha bums…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

42. StevieRay says:

The steal of thet deal was Ryan McDonagh ….. playing full time with the Rangers now ..

43. joeybarrie says:

The problem here is your looking at the players on ice time TOTAL. Not per game, thats where Pyatt is second on this team with 2:35 per game. Moen is a better player than Pyatt, and had played more games. I only look at it as individual games when judging how they do on the ice. Of course the player who is doing the best lately on the Bulldogs is Boyd with 11 goal in 14 games, but he isnt the leading scorer.

I can’t say White can play Pyatt’s role better, as I haven’t seen White in that role. Last season they both had the same amount of PK time, again per game. But White simply hasn’t been given the chance. Can he do better, I don’t know, but JM doesnt think so. and Pyatt has done VERY well this season.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

44. Mark C says:

Maybe, but there is the counter point that this call-up is mainly for the next 3 games before the All-Star break, all three teams OTT, the Ducks, and Philly are more physical than average teams. The idea might be that White fits better as a physical grinding winger on the 3rd line with say, DD and Darche or Benny if and when Max-Pac/Halpren returns.

I think these two call-ups were made with a specific fit in mind and not who has the most offensive potential. A Maxwell, DD, and whoever line might have more offensive upside, but that line lacks much physical punch. However, a White, DD, and whoever line should be better at playing a cycling style offensive games, like we saw in Buffalo.

Edit: forgot about Moen, he could be added to any of those line combos.