Audio: Cammy on IR, White called up

POST-PRACTICE AUDIO: Michael Cammalleri 1 and 2 | Scott Gomez | Benoit Pouliot | Andreas Engqvist | David Desharnais

The Canadiens have placed Michael Cammalleri on their injured reserve list and called up Ryan White from the Hamilton Bulldogs.

Although Max Pacioretty and Jeff Halpern are skating in Brossard this morning, they are day-to-day. But Benoit Pouliot is back at practice.

The lines: Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Eller; Pacioretty-Gomez-Gionta; Pouliot-Desharnais-Darche; Pyatt-Engqvist-Moen.

The team announcement:

Ryan White will join the Canadiens in Ottawa, for tomorrow’s game against the Senators at Scotiabank Place.

The
6-foot, 198-pound centreman, aged 22, played 16 games with the Canadiens
last season, including his first game in the NHL on November 5 at
Boston. He recorded two assists and five shots on goal, while averaging
11:09 minutes of ice time per game.

White totals 10 points (2 goals, 8
assists) in 28 games this season with the Bulldogs. One of his goals
has been tallied on the power play. He has collected 55 shots on goal
and served 64 penalty minutes. White missed 14 games earlier this season
due to a lower-body injury incurred on November 19 at Rochester.

A native of Brandon, Man., White was the Canadiens’ fourth pick (third round, 66th overall) in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft.

1. Guy-Guy-Guy says:

Why does that 3rd line have to be a grinding line?

We need a third scoring line that keeps the other team pined down in their end, and overwhelms their bottom D pairings.  A grinding line is what you do when there isn’t enough talent in your lineup to roll 3 lines.

With DD and Pouliot,  we don’t have that problem.   Remember how our fortune changed last year when we signed Moore to play Sk74and could roll 3 offensive lines?  Secondary scoring will do that.  Look at Philly last year;  with 3rd liners like JVR and Giroux,  they didn’t need two grinding lines.

2. TomNickle says:

He doesn`t have a clause in his contract saying that he needed to replace Koivu.  And that`s your biggest problem with Gomez.

3. LA Loyalist says:

Being leading scorer on the Habs this year is not exactly anything to call Don Cherry about. Gionta is averaging .5 points a game.

And your comment about not judging players based on salary? There are two reasons to ABSOLUTELY judge based on salary: 1. ROI (Return on Investment) what are we getting for our money?  2. Business Opportunity Cost. What else could we have done with those same dollars in a Cap situation.

Gionta is ok, I don’t really have a problem with him, but is he a Montreal Canadiens captain in the tradition thereof? Go ahead and make that argument, but you’re already wrong.

As for Gomez? For his cost we could have two male hockey players who aren’t afraid of their shadows.

Go and tell your boss that you don’t have to provide value to him for what he’s paying you. That’s hilarious.

This reads very nicely Bill. I think you covered all bases! Not many teams have the quality of depth that we do. They also will hit the skids with injuries, their turn will come.

5. RJB says:

Thats the White way of saying it.

“I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”
    - Bilbo Baggins

6. Say Ash says:

JM will make the White decision

7. oshawahabsfan says:

Max is skating, but there’s no way he’s fit to play. One hard check put him at risk in his current state for further internal injury. Not something to mess around with. Good to see White called up, although I’m more excited to see Engqvist’s first shot up in the big time. Playing white together on a line with him could ease him into the game with some familiarity. Oh and he’s a not a small centre, oh my god that’s two with him and Eller, whatever will we do!

8. habs-hampton says:

I think he sees that even when G&G aren’t scoring the effort is there. When AK and Pouliot aren’t scoring, they aren’t doing anything!

9. Gormdog says:

I just realized… all this White speculation…

Is he even going to play?!? Looks like he’s just the extra body…

10. newbrunswick troy says:

much agreed …Pouliot and Kostitsyn need to bring it to new level

also  team needs to play a ” all in balls out” style

11. krob1000 says:

Ok but that ignores the fac this role has diminished (up until this injury situation that is)…in the first 11 games of the season he played over 11 minutes only once, since then he has played under 10 minutes 11 times.  He is 172nd in the NHL faceoff wins.  We all watch the games  diff’tly but if you are seeing something diff’t than me so be it…but I have seen his role diminished, an invisible player and a shadow of what he was last year in the playoffs, I never see him take any important faceoffs and he does still kill penalties but more and more Gio and Pleks are beign used…and their offense can only be affected.  Halperns injury will definitely give Pyatt an opportunity and another crack but it for a good time now  in “go to” situations Pleks/Gio/Moen/and HAlpern have been the guys. Pyatt is definitely next in line after those guys anymore….it would be nice if he was ahead of them because Gio and Pleks are small guys and need every bit of their energy to win their physical battles offensively and utilize their speed……liek I said I am still pulling for PYatt…mainly because he was an underdog…but it hasn;t been looking good.

12. Mattyleg says:

Buncha bums…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

13. StevieRay says:

The steal of thet deal was Ryan McDonagh ….. playing full time with the Rangers now ..

14. joeybarrie says:

The problem here is your looking at the players on ice time TOTAL. Not per game, thats where Pyatt is second on this team with 2:35 per game. Moen is a better player than Pyatt, and had played more games. I only look at it as individual games when judging how they do on the ice. Of course the player who is doing the best lately on the Bulldogs is Boyd with 11 goal in 14 games, but he isnt the leading scorer.

I can’t say White can play Pyatt’s role better, as I haven’t seen White in that role. Last season they both had the same amount of PK time, again per game. But White simply hasn’t been given the chance. Can he do better, I don’t know, but JM doesnt think so. and Pyatt has done VERY well this season.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

15. Mark C says:

Maybe, but there is the counter point that this call-up is mainly for the next 3 games before the All-Star break, all three teams OTT, the Ducks, and Philly are more physical than average teams. The idea might be that White fits better as a physical grinding winger on the 3rd line with say, DD and Darche or Benny if and when Max-Pac/Halpren returns.

I think these two call-ups were made with a specific fit in mind and not who has the most offensive potential. A Maxwell, DD, and whoever line might have more offensive upside, but that line lacks much physical punch. However, a White, DD, and whoever line should be better at playing a cycling style offensive games, like we saw in Buffalo.

Edit: forgot about Moen, he could be added to any of those line combos.

16. TomNickle says:

If Pouliot and Kostitsyn played to their capabilities we would be a top 3 team in the NHL, just my opinion.  But a lot of teams can say that about underachieving players realizing their abilities.

17. shiram says:

I guess the Leafs can still see us as rivals, but as long as they are bottom dwelling, and the Habs are not, well that rivalry doesnt bring much to the table.

18. habs001 says:

in any key situation gion,gomez over ak46,pouliot…it is a no contest…these two are way over rated by many posters..ak46 and pouliot… what we have seen from them is pretty well what we will get while they are in montreal..some very good games and streches but also long disappearing acts and rarely coming thru in the clutch or in a pressure game…yet if somehow they were able to utilize their talents on a regular bases we would be much closer to an elite team

19. joeybarrie says:

You think AK and Pouliot have played better seasons than Gomez and Gionta? Are you aware Gionta is our leading scorer?

While I have high hopes for Pouliot, AK has been his normal .6 pts per game self that he has been for 4 years now. Gomez, Gionta and Cammalleri were the reason this team went to the 3rd round in the playoffs for forwards.

Also what labelling have the Habs management done?

You need to stop looking at salary when you judge how a player is doing this season.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

20. TomNickle says:

In the pre-season he was more physical and effective physically than he had been at any point since being drafted.  There really isn’t a place for him on the roster right now though, the bad thing is, unless there’s a significant injury(Gomez,Gionta,Eller) he won’t get a call up.  And those guys are under contract or have their rights held(Eller’s case) for quite some time, at least four years.

People often say we have very little in the cupboard but if I’m a pro scout I’m recommending him to my general manager as a guy who could be a good third line centre project with the potential to develop into a really nice second line centre.  He really reminds me a lot of Plekanec, he lacks the intensity that Pleks plays with and doesn’t have the quality of shot that he does but there are striking similarities in their games overall, and the intensity issue comes with being accustomed to the speed of the game at the NHL level.  With some better production in the AHL and getting rid of the snake bite with the big club at one point he could fetch a nice return somewhere down the road.

21. krob1000 says:

Whie is a character guy…guys will feel comfortable on the ice with himout there…if he were on the ice the other day when Cammi got hi I promise yu he goes after Weber, if he were on the ice when Wiz got hi, he’s have went after him, etc…..that goes a long way in the room…..and on the ice.  White is not a fighter…he is a stand up teammate…a guy like Moen but younger and hungrier.  White is not a huge upgrade…nobody said he was…but he is definitely an upgrade phsyically and right now we need that too….the fact White also has some opffensive potential as well and won;t hesitate to go to the net, the fact he probablys hould have made the team out of camp, and the fact that hard work is contagious could make a bigger impact than one may think…..still not like a top six scoer …but an impact I gladly welcome the opportunity to see….I liekd what I saw before and hoep his injury issuse this year haven’t set him back too much.

22. Bill H says:

I think we are doing surprisingly well these days, although the upcoming month will no doubt be a challenge.  We have taken 14 points in the last 10 games, following that mid to late December funk.  The team remains within striking distance of Boston in #2 spot and we can quickly leap-frog over NYR again.  We are 8 points over the pace we set last year when we just squeeked into the playoffs, and we are only 4 points off the pace we set the year before when we finished first in the East.  All this while we are down 2 of our top 4 dmen.

If the team shows up with any fire at all in Ottawa, we should be able to pull off a win, although we never seem to do well in back-to-back away and home games.  I wouldn’t be surprised to see Saku and Lapierre score 2 goals apiece, 2 points out of 4 would be okay, 3 points would be a dream come true.

We will need AK46 and Pouliot to step up their game if we are to get through the next month with our dignity in tact.  That is clear.  But more than that, we will need some great team work because let’s face it, we won’t be averaging 4 goals a game for the next while.

At least with these injuries we have the opportunity to test our organizational depth.  The youngsters are getting more ice time and will mature more quickly.

We have a long way to go of course, but I think we are starting to look pretty good for the playoffs.  If a few key players can get their game going we could go deep.  But I am not looking forward to facing the Flyers.  They are awesome this year.  So we need to catch Boston for that #2 or #3 seeding.

23. Hobie Hansen says:

As long is this guy is capable of playing 10mins a game on the 4th line I’m happy. Is he a heavyweight fighter, no! At least he’ll defend himself and drop the gloves on occasion. Maybe if he were in the lineup when Cammelleri was pushed into the boards he would have at least done a little something, unlike anyone else on the team…

24. habs001 says:

it is frustrating that we struggle vs the leafs…some posters say the players dont care about the leafs but i find that hard to believe just based on the buzz when the two teams play each other…the players must realize that these games are important for the fans…i would venture the most comments on a team on this site is about the leafs ..even on other boards hab fans write a lot more about the leafs than boston etc…

25. joeybarrie says:

I always like D’Ags, but like SK his production here wasn’t great. He is doing well on a team where he makes the top 2 lines. He wouldnt here in Montreal. There is only so long you can keep a player before letting him go if they do not develop into a top 2 line player on your team, but will on another. Palushaj is younger and is going to go thru what D’Ags went thru 3 years ago. Hopefully he will develop into a player for us, but maybe not. Try to rememebr St. Louis has similar offensive production as us, but they are not as good a defensive team.

Easy to say we made mistakes with SK, D’Ags, and the like, but what would our top lines look like if we kept them???? Should SK take AK’s spot? Gionta’s??? Cammi??? or who?  D’Ags, and Gomez, with Pouliot and SK, with AK and Pleks?

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

26. avatar_58 says:

In the sense that he agitates and has a scoring touch. Much like Lappy he *could* be amazing one moment, invisible the next. Unlike Lapierre though he backs up his shite disturbing with a fight or two.

27. Mattyleg says:

Ha!!!

I larfed. Nice.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

28. Mattyleg says:

Way to take things seriously, Brady.

You probably can’t even understand what’s a joke. Probably.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

29. TomNickle says:

I can’t speak for Pat Hickey but Gomez and Gionta are consistent in their play defensively which allows them to get a pass when scoring isn’t going their way.  Andrei and Benny are huge liabilities when they aren’t involved defensively and can’t be trusted to play significant minutes during those stretches.

Cammalleri I will whole heartedly agree seems to get a pass on this issue because he is also terribly inconsistent in his effort.  His defensive play is consistent though, just consistently terrible.

30. Mattyleg says:

Looking forward to seeing White back in a Habs jersey. I hope he rises to the occasion.

I hear he hasn’t been tearing up the AHL…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

31. CBrady12 says:

I love how everyone thinks that calling up White is going to make such a big difference…hes gonna play 10 minutes max and maybe throw a couple of good hits…but NOONE in the NHL is intimidated by him and if he struggles in the AHL he aint gonna be a game changer in the NHL

32. TomNickle says:

Maxwell’s assignment to Hamilton out of training camp was explained to him in a simple way, you need more confidence.  Bringing him up to play on the fourth line isn’t going to establish that confidence.  If it had been Pleks or Gomez that had been hurt(knock on wood), I’m certain Maxwell would have gotten the call.

33. KenD29 says:

There is only 1 Lappy !

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

34. mjames says:

I read Hickey’s column today on the Habs injuries. In it he infers that AK46 and Pouliot might be moved up to play in place of Camilleri and Max Pac. He stated that while they have played as top six forward they have been plagued by inconsistent play. Hickey’s comment annoyed me. He like others, including Habs management are attracted to “labelling”. It is my view that if you are going to label people be fair and consistent and don’t employ a double standard. As an example why is it that Gionta , Gomez, and cammileri all get a pass on their play. Why is it that only these two get labelled for their inconsistent play.

I know we can all point to deficiencies in AK46′s and Pouliot’s play but these guys have been far more consistent that the “smurfs”. I never see the press , except maybe the French press, comment on the inconsistent play of the ”smurfs”. We are paying AK and Pouliot a combined $5mm while the other three take home $19mm.

mjames

35. krob1000 says:

Tom Pyatt was went to early on for the PK(and he’s third and being quickly closed in on by Moen(3 minutes less) and Gio (16 min’s less))…he earned that opportunity last year in the playoffs….since then his role has nearly evaporated unless Pleks and GIo’s lines have just played long shifts.  He does not take ANY important faceoffs…NONE. Moore was a better alternative to HAlpern IMO…added grit, speed and could still skate well enough to play the PK, Sergei….that one will always bug me…and now witht he PK and Gomez thing going on and the Sergei?Gomez thing last year I am starting to wonder who is really running this team..maybe money talks? Boyd IMo adds way more tha Pyatt…not sure what happened there but something weird went on becuase OByd is a better player than Tom Pyatt no doubt about it. IF Pyattt were to emerg into the layer he looked like hemay be capable of being and IF he were to reduce Pleks and Gio’s PK minutes it would be a value that I could appreciate…it doesn’t appear (right now anyway)that is going to be the case. I ope it does…I like the underdog…but it isn’t looking good for Tom pyatt right now.  White IMo can play Tom Pyatts role better than Tom Pyatt…..and we lack grit….we don;t lack small forwars…and of our small forwards Pyatt is the only one that offers nothing offensively.

jb – I go to see the Bulldog games when they play the Marlies.  White hasn’t looked that great but an early injury can screw up a guy’s year.   I guess he’ll play on the 4th line with Pyatt and Engqvist.  That’s pretty sketchy no matter how you look at it.  It’s not a stretch to say that there’s not a NHL player on that line.  Limit their minutes and hope they don’t have too many breakdowns.  They certainly should be ready to give their all which should compensate somewhat.

I imagine that Eller will go with Pleks and AK while Pouliot and Moen would be split on the 2nd and 3rd lines.  I’d let Moen go with Gionta and Gomez (I realize he’s not top line material) so that we have three well balanced lines.  We’re in a pretty tight spot so I say to hell with it as I’d give DD as much ice as possible.  Dress Weber instead of Picard and hope for some PP goals.

37. habs001 says:

it will be interesting to see how many games auld plays the remaining of the season…some posters have suggested he should play vs the weaker teams which makes sense…but even vs the weaker teams we usually dont score goals so auld has to play well vs any team as most games will be tied or one goal games in the third..

38. CBrady12 says:

I’d love to see you take a 100 mph slap shot to the ribs…too bad you probably can’t even skate…

39. bwoar says:

JM wants a guy he can trust to follow orders and play the system.  This is smart, since we’ll have to win a bunch more 2-1 games before the end of the season.  White’s not gonna break any scoring records but he may take a shift or 3 with Gomez + Gionta to add some muscle on ice.

It’s not like Cammalleri has spent the last month scoring bunches of goals.  ”The System” will have to take over, so I hope your hearts are in good shape!

40. habs-hampton says:

If there’s a bright spot to all this, its that these 2 guys get a chance to show their stuff at the NHL level and get to do it against Ottawa. Better than Philly or Detroit.

41. Gormdog says:

I’m a fan of White but you have to figure, considering our offensive woes, wouldnt it be tempting to bring up Maxwell to play 3rd line?

Thats DD, AE, and RW all called up before BM. He can’t be feeling very good about his hopes with this club at the moment!

42. TheDagger says:

I am guessing playing in front of the Bell Centre crowd will snap him out of any laziness habits he may have had.

43. Storm Man says:

Cough Cough…… Say what? White is nothing like Lappy. Just say no next time ok.

“I have never failed at anything in my life so far… TripleX 12/23/2010 16:34pm”

44. Chorske says:

Two years ago, I wrote that “picking on the Leafs is getting to be like booing at the Special Olympics”.

I’m not sure I feel that way any more. I figured that after their management reorganization, and the attempted rebuild around guys like Kessel– I always thought Kessel was more of a Hab-style player anyway, and a poor fit in gronky plodding truculent Toronto– fell completely flat, and handicapped the team with an empty farm system… that there would be some modesty, some mea culpas, some honest soul-searching. But I haven’t seen much of that. Instead, they still act like they are legit contenders. In their heads, they honestly think they can win with THAT team. And the Canadian sports networks drink that Kool Aid year after year.

I used to feel sorry for them. But now the fontrum has turned to schadenfreude. The only downside to their suckitude is that they keep spotting two points to division rivals.