Audio: Cammy back, MaxPac ill, Price starts

AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Scott Gomez, funny stuff on the flu | Michael Cammalleri, on his illness | Jaroslav Spacek, on Martin’s mood and more | Lars Eller

Canadiens forward Michael Cammalleri joined his teammates on Brossard ice for the Habs practice today, having missed two games with Type A strep throat. Antibiotics seem to have knocked it out. Cammalleri seems bound for a return to the lineup tomorrow night at the Bell Centre against the New York Rangers.

The word might not be as good regarding Max Pacioretty, who took the day off practice; he was said to be ill.

Carey Price gets the start in goal, perhaps a mild surprise given Alex Auld’s strong showing against the Rangers earlier this week and his 4-0-2, .970 lifetime record against the Broadway Blueshirts.

Head coach Jacques Martin was in very lively spirits, having a few post-practice one-on-ones with his players, hollering more than a little throughout the session.

1. solomio says:

I just want AK to be happy and I think he is unhappy in Montreal. Look at him on the bench, looks like he doesn’t have a friend in the world, completely out of place , alone, like he doesn’t belong. I think he feels that way. I also agree that his epilepsy and the medication required to keep it under control greatly impacts him. The guy looks like he’s medicated and for the most part plays like he is medicated.

I really don’t know for which team he should play  but he may be more happy in California than he is in Quebec. Don’t know who / what we can get for him but if anybody can get him out from under they would have one helluva hockey player on their hands.

2. Everlasting1 says:

Vaccinations are completely useless. It takes a minimum 8 months to properly formulate and test a vaccine for the new seasonal virus. By then it’s too late to be effective, regardless. Ever look up the ingredients of vaccines? It’s sickening, and you should never trust govt agencies, especially in regards to your health.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

3. jimmy shaker says:

We have ended up on the same road after all, I think.  That is the basis of what I am trying to get across to the rest of the guys on here.  And by having him play on saturday night vs the rangers is one of the spots where I think JM should use Auld because of his record vs them.  If we were playing the sabres or cubs, then I would be saying Price has to play because of his record vs them.  So basically if JM has to get auld in there, then why not get him in there vs teams he has a winning record against.  I think it makes sense that way.

4. christophor says:

If by “missing the picture” you mean “I don’t know how to respond”, then ok.

I do think, by the way, that Auld should start more than 8 games this year.

5. jimmy shaker says:

Forget it boss, you don’t get it!  I hope Price plays well and wins, but your missing the big overall picture.

6. dre1744 says:

no way  Pyatt  couldn’t  score  if  the net  was  the  size  of  the titanic, when  you look up  hands  of  stone  they  have  Pyatts   picture  there.

7. christophor says:

Your stat is ridiculous. What if I could find a team that has more former Rangers Auld has faced than the current Rangers squad?

Is the Rangers crest magical? When you repeatedly play 30 teams, good performances are bound to fall on the same team a few times. Same goes for bad performances. People like you think there must be something about the match-up, or that it’s all explainable by the match-up. It’s laughable that to think Auld raises the Habs’ chances of winning tomorrow.  What might not be laughable is to think Auld playing more in general raises the chances of the Habs winning more in the long run. Fine. But that’s only true because, fatigue or anything else aside, on any given night, having Price in net means the Habs have a better chance to win. Of course you would agree, unless you actually think Auld should be the starter, which you don’t. What you think is that Auld has anti-Ranger spray.

And you think that because you, my friend, need to learn that there’s no such thing as brute statistics without interpretation.

8. dre1744 says:

I  think  Patches  ios   faking illness  and  has  asked too be traded…….  Yes  lets  just go  with that!!!!!!!!!!

9. jimmy shaker says:

I believe it, most of a goalies battle is mental.  But the amount of games (not relating to being tired) corresponds exactly to a short or long playoff or winning a cup for that matter. I think were basically on the same road here.  I want a cup and a less game played regular season for Price in the 60 – 64 game spot will help us greatly in the playoffs if and when we get in.

10. jimmy shaker says:

Yes, my point for the love of God is that Auld needs to play more than he is, and if JM is going to use him more in the second half, why not use him vs teams that he has a winning record against?  Is that so hard to understand.  I use the facts to back up my opinion, something that is lacking in many others opinions here on this site.  And yes I believe the habs have a better chance of winning vs the rangers not tonight but tomorrow night with Auld because he has never lost vs the rangers in regulation.  And my most important stat boss, is, wins and losses, nothing else!

11. christophor says:

The first time Auld beat the Rangers they were likely a completely different team. If you want to believe you’re using “stats”, you know, in order to make yourself feel better, then remain happy in your little way of thinking.

There are an unlimited number of stats you could come up with, so what’s with the nonsense below about you holding to “stats”?

If you think Auld should take some of Carey’s workload, fine. But if you actually think the Habs have a better chance with to win tonight with Auld in net, maybe because of your misunderstood stat, then there’s no point in talking.

12. jimmy shaker says:

Again, for the love of God, I’m not saying Carey is going to tire, what I am saying is the number of games that Price is playing is going to be in the 70+ range, that fact spells early playoff exit, if making the playoffs at all.  Brodeur is the only rare exception to play 70+ reg season games and win a cup.  And I’m talking NHL my friend, the big leagues are a lot different from the minors so your comparison is void.  The bottom line is….that a more balanced workload for the tenders in the range of 20 starts for Auld and 62 for price gives us a way better chance to end our cup drout.  THerefore a lessened game number ratio or whatever you want to call it is better for the team, and if you have to play Auld, play him against teams that he has a winning record against, it only makes sense.

13. LA Loyalist says:

The concern is not that Price is tired now, the concern is will he be tired in March and April?

Similar issue in Anaheim, Hiller has played more games and faced more shots than any other goalie and he just posted 2 shutouts in his last 3 games, so no worries, right – but… March and April will be here soon enough and IF we make the playoffs we want a fresh goalie.

Yeah Price is young and strong, but you have to remember that 90% of the mental part of being goalie is in your head.

14. Omit says:

My point is that the coaching staff is a lot more aware of Price’s stamina than we are, and making disparaging remarks about Martin for his decision seems a bit infantile at best.

If you like stats that much, maybe you should look into Price’s stats for his last year in junior.  He does not wilt under a heavy workload.  In fact, the opposite is true.

15. jimmy shaker says:

The workload thing is me just saying in my prior posts basically to everyone about 70 game regular seasons workloads and flaming out in the playoffs quickly.  I just think a lesser workload is a better scenario for this team and the hopes of it going further in the playoffs.

16. LA Loyalist says:

I don’t know about that… what flavor are the cookies?

17. shiram says:

20:43 average ice time for Pk Subban, 4th most used D as well,  I think it shows respect and confidence. Not only that but among defenceman he has the most PP time.

18. habs365 says:

according to the lines at practice..Eller and Pyatt can’t say JM is not trying to help them..they’ll be on the 1st and 2nd line..can’t beat that for two that hasn’t produced..I didn’t see PK get that kind of respect.

19. bwoar says:

Without better players, the style doesn’t matter.  We don’t get favorable matchups on the road to cover up for our weak points.  At home JM carefully gets the guys he wants on the ice vs. specific lines.

I would also say, that the recent road hell has made that stat worse than it probably will be by the end of the year.  We have one really terrible road trip, but I expect it will get better.

20. jimmy shaker says:

Good one Rex, you can pick up your door prize on the way out!

21. bwoar says:

Last time it was Mike G (the G obviously standing for genius) saying that starting Auld vs. the Rangers was the stupidest thing he’d ever heard. (Nice call, Mike.)  Now a guy who actually uses (and capitalizes!) the word “jabroni” is bent outta shape over Price starting.  Goes to show, ya just can’t make everyone on the short bus happy.  Not even with little juice boxes and individually-wrapped cookies.

22. jimmy shaker says:

Nope, I have never talked to price in my life, and I wish I had time to play video games with these 2 little rugrats running around here, the only reason I have time to post today is that the wife is away shopping, so I can slack on the father responsibility a little bit and get into some debates with other HIO fans.  And my qualifications if you want to know are this:  a big fan of the team and a bit of a stat junkie……not as big of one as I thought since joining this site about a year ago, where in that time I have seen more posters with greater knowledge on the team and stats/facts coming out of the wazoo, but for me, the tender being my favourite spot on the ice thanking Patty for that, I have loved goalie stats forever, and the biggest one I’ve come to realize in the last 32 years of my life is that tenders who have a huge regular season workload, flame out in the playoffs.  I’ve only seen two cups in my time, and I want another one.  Is that funny my friend?

23. Omit says:

You seem to be the only one that understands what you’re saying.

I guess that comes from you knowing exactly how Price is feeling because you talk to him on a daily basis or, perhaps, you consider yourself to be an expert on managing NHL players in your own little mind because of your experience with video games. Young fellow, it is a bit more complicated than that.

People like you are funny.  You seem to think that qualifications are just little details.  Tell me, what is your background?

24. punkster says:

Nice that you’re nice. So we disagree. No biggy.

25. jimmy shaker says:

Sorry boss, come back when you have something smart to say, your dribble makes you look silly, you don’t understand, move on to another thread.

26. shiram says:

I wonder whats the issue with workload, if its not related to being tired?? Mental fatigue?? I dont know. Didnt mean to put words in your mouth, but I associated the workload remark to that.

27. Omit says:

News flash to enable you to follow the scheme of things.  Auld will play when it is time to rest Price.  Period!

28. jimmy shaker says:

Sorry to come down on you, but, I never said anything about Price being tired.  I’m sure in fact he has the most energy on the team, who knows?  The only one or two that should be tired are Cammy and Patch from the flu bug.  The stats just show that goalies who play 70+ games in the regular season are run out of the playoffs pretty early, if they get in at all.  Our goalies workload should be about 20 for auld and 62 for price give or take a few.  Check the stats, the only goalie to win a cup with 70+ regular season games in the last 30 years has been Brodeur.  And if JM is going to use Auld more in the second half, why not spot him in games where he has prior success against that club.  Give the guy the best possible situation to win I say.

29. ZepFan2 says:

“All I said was there are ways to keep yourself healthier than most if you want to and they should.”

The key word there is, “yourself”. That was exactly my point!

Nobody has to guide these grown men. They have brains (at least I hope so) and should realise there’s a good chance during flu season they could catch something. It’s not rocket science.

As for Management cooking for the players. You do get that these guys are paid well, right!?

“Young people have seen that a team can play electrifying, fascinating hockey while still behaving like gentlemen.”

~Serge Savard~

30. jimmy shaker says:

I never said I’m worried about Price getting tired.  I think any young guy like price could probably play every game and not become tired.  Tired is something, someone gets from working day in and day out for 8 hours a day to put bread on his/her families table for 30 years.  Getting paid millions, plus all the perks of travelling first class, first class facilities, doctors etc etc should make any player in the NHL anything but tired.  Now if JM says that Auld is going play more this second half, why not use him in games where he has a winning record vs the teams, case and point with Carey vs the sabres and cubs…….no matter what, Carey is going to get all of the remaining games vs these clubs this year based merely on his very good career record vs them.  And to rebuttle your comments about goalies playing back to back get burnt out……how do you know that?  That is merely your opinion based on no facts, just your assumption.  I base my opinion on Auld’s stats, and Carey’s workload and the number one fact of them all, that a goalie playing in 70 or more regular season games usually, if the club even makes it to the dance, don’t really stick around to long at the dance (playoffs).  And Auld playing in 3 out of the 5 is bad, because why?

31. shiram says:

I basically see it as a non-issue… Auld has a better stat against the Rangers, Price overall has a better stats.

Both get to play the Rangers at least once within one week. Price’s workload has been discussed ad nauseam, and as of now there is no proof he is really tired or anything.

32. punkster says:

Be the ball.

33. JD_ says:

That’s what she said.

34. punkster says:

Gimme some skin.

35. Mark C says:

Auld has one good game against the Rangers, so what? I know about that career numbers, but those games are from 2008-09 and have next to no relevance to today. The two back-to-backs are the perfect opportunity for Auld to play.

If you’re worried about Price being tired then the biggest concern should be limiting him from back-to-back games, these are the type of situations that burn out goalies.

I just don’t understand why matching up Auld vs. the Rangers is more important than not protecting Price from back-to-back games. And playing Auld in 3 out of the next 5, isn’t an option, IMO.

36. jimmy shaker says:

I guess…..if that floats your boat.  I hope it all works out!  Bottom line is I want the 2 points and would love Carey to get the W and play great…..I just think Auld needs the starts and this one is a perfect fit for him.

37. jimmy shaker says:

Yes he says that he will play more, and this is a perfect example to back that point up, I really think you guys are all just missing the point of a goalies workload and record vs certain teams, that’s all.

38. JD_ says:

Buy some groceries.

39. jimmy shaker says:

And I say in the nicest possible way, you just don’t understand!

40. punkster says:

Get new glasses.

41. jimmy shaker says:

And what if Auld wins or shuts out the rangers?  I agree as well it’s all relative, but my main point is that Auld was great against New York, he needs more starts/action, so this is a perfect opportunity.  If he wins great, then go with him again on Monday and give Price the sabres, but if he loses give Price both games, as he would have 4 days between starts.  I’m not worried about Carey being tired at all for the year, I just think a 70+ game  regular season workload doesn’t work for a long playoff run unless your Marty Brodeur.

42. punkster says:

I say thank heavens we’re over that “win and you’re in” rotation of last season. I say thank heavens we have a number 1 and number 2 as opposed to the 2 number 1b’s we had last season. I say thank heavens JM is the coach and not some blogger. I’ve said enough.

43. jimmy shaker says:

So then do you think JM will give Auld the nod vs Buffalo or Boston this year?  Answer = NO, because of Price’s stats vs both of those teams.  It is what it is my friend.

44. Habnofear says:

Just a thought but if your sick or comming down with something like the flu and hoark a gubber on the ice does that not indanger the rest of the players……

45. avatar_58 says:

Winning records versus one team, player, night, month, etc are all superstitious nonsense. A hockey game is a hockey game, and it makes no difference what shirts they wear.

46. John Q Public says:

I was suggesting they boost their systems. As you put it they get run down alot and should do more to keep healthy.

If you go outside with your har wet you have a better chance of catching pneumonia so i don’t understand your comment about fooling science.

47. John Q Public says:

Firstly good that you had only 1 cold last year.

Management should GUIDE their players to make smarter choices about what they ingest.

You know what it would be good if they cooked for them. Maybe you know some non GMO, non additve and organic food would boost their immune systems and they would be able to cope better. As you know they travel a lot and don’t have a regular schedule.

I won’t even waste your time about the BS flu shot.

48. Mark C says:

What if the Rangers light up Auld on Saturday, then JM would be hesitant to play him in the back-to-back, when Price would need the rest? I hate these, which goalies should play when debates, because it’s like watching a dog chase its own tail. Generally which valid point has an equally valid counter point. I don’t disagree with any of your points, only that it’s a bit silly to blame JM for going with Price at this point.

49. shiram says:

He has not dropped the ball, they have not played yet. And Auld will get games in the back to backs we have coming up.

JM also said Auld would play more in this half of the season.

50. Propwash says:

Perhaps he wants to see if Price will bounce back after the loss to Pittsburgh? If he comes out on fire, it’ll help with his confidence.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

51. Chuck says:

That said, it’s a good way to get your own office.  :)

Centre Hice: Bruins blogger gets racial on PK Subban

52. jimmy shaker says:

I just want the 2 points….and with Auld playing very solid vs the rangers last week, why not give him another shot at them this week?  Then if he wins why not go again vs the flames, he will deserve it, then for sure go with Price vs the sabres on the backend of the back to back because he has a good record vs the sabres in his career.  I don’t mind Auld playing, save for the Atlanta game, he’s done all he can and expect of the guy, especially in the limited amount of appearances he’s made.  If he gets 15-17 starts this year, that will help him, Carey and ultimately the team make it to the dance!

53. drivefor25 says:

I would take Voracek in a heartbeat. He’s younger, more talented and easier on the budget than AK 46. Number 7 overall in the 2007 draft. And he’d be a great fit with Pleks!

Fan since ’71

54. jimmy shaker says:

Not really concerned about meeting them in the playoffs.  What I am concerned about is the amount of games Price is playing and the lack of games Auld is getting.  Also, Auld’s record vs the rangers is pretty flawless, so it really should’ve been a no brainer for our fearless leader, but he dropped the ball yet again, that’s all.  I know Price is the number 1 and have no problem with that, but Auld needs more games, Price needs to chill after last performance, that’s it.  Question… you think JM is going to give Auld the nod over Price in the remaining games vs the cubs this year?  Answer, no!  Because Price has a great career record vs the cubs.  It’s cut and dry.  Play the stats, because more often than not, you’re rewarded for it.

55. Mark C says:

Is it that big of a deal; if JM gives Auld a game in each of the two back-to-backs next week? Had JM given Auld the NYR and back-to-backs, that would be mean Auld getting 3 out of the next 5 games. Do we really want that?

56. jimmy shaker says:

Yes, I forgot logic and stats are not friends of your’s.  At least it’s friday for ya boss, go have a couple of bevies than you might understand!

57. shiram says:

If we meet them in the playoffs it will have been good for Price to have faced them before this season.

Price is rested and he is our #1.

58. jimmy shaker says:

I’m not sure where I heard “boom goes the dynamite”  and had no idea there was a whole thing attached to it, but that clip was awesome.  At least he can’t get any worse than that display……I hope!

Thanks for the laughs,

59. RGM says:

And yet another horrible post on jimmy shaker’s part……Boom goes the stupid!

60. zak says:

for all the good JM does behind the bench they should just hang a picture of him on the glass.

61. vic says:

We are just trying to make the play offs and it will be the same for a few years or we draft larger scoring players.

We bring in players that can score then make them into defensive players.

Just make the playoffs boys revenue you know.look at the Laffs making all kinds of money.

every year wait until next year

62. dre1744 says:

haven’t these guys  heard  of  Cold FX   this is your cold and flu defense!!!!!!!

63. itpf says:

It immunizes you to several strains from all over the world that vaccine designers predict will be prevalent in the coming flu season. It’s true that you wouldn’t necessarily be immune to a novel strain, but if the novel strain is similar to the ones in the vaccine than you would very well be immune to it.

So it’s a good idea for NHLers to get vaccinated, even if there is a chance that they’ll catch the flu anyway.

Remember when the Flames jumped ahead of the line for the H1N1 vaccine and it caused a controversy? THat doesn’t have anything to do with the bulk of my post… just made me think of it.

64. Displaced says:

Semin, young point scorer.  Markov, old D coming off two injuried-filled years.  Spend $7.5m in UFA money wisely and get the Russian.  If we need more space, then move AK now or at that draft.  If we had moved OB and Laps in the off-season, we could have had space to sign Halak or had more flexibility about when PG chose to trade him.

Who’s leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?

65. jimmy shaker says:

And yet another horrible call on JM’s part……Boom goes the dynamite!  A winning record vs the rangers, extra incentive vs his old team, beat them 2-1 just a week ago, needs more starts…….but he goes with Price.  Smart decision!  What a flippin JABRONI this coach is.  Sorry Alex, I knew you weren’t expecting to play much, but this is really getting ridonculous now!

66. LA Loyalist says:

this is only anecdotal, but my dept at work is 10 people. 5 got free shots at work. 5 didn’t. the 5 that DID (me included) all got sick and it was nasty.

Notwithstanding that the sample size is in adequate, it’s worrying.

If Cam-cam has strep throat, it’s not flu, but it is extremely painful.