Audio: Cammalleri still out; no Crosby

AUDIO: Jacques Martin English and French | Benoit Pouliot | Alex Auld

The Canadiens will be without forward Michael Cammalleri tonight for the second straight game.

Cammalleri took part in a six-player optional morning skate at the Bell Centre but was sent home immediately afterward, head coach Jacques Martin saying that he was making progress from a flu bug but still not in shape to play. The coach said he hopes Cammalleri will be ready by the weekend, the New York Rangers in town Saturday.

Goalie Carey Price was one of the six on the ice this morning, along with defenceman Alexandre Picard and forwards Tom Pyatt, David Desharnais and Lars Eller.

The Penguins will be without their franchise player, Sidney Crosby, who still has not begun to skate following a “mild concussion” he received either in the New Year’s Day Winter Classic or game Jan. 5 vs. the Tampa Bay Lightning.

1. Displaced says:

Jacques Demers won a Cup.  Tom Watt never had a winning season.  Demers got 19 goals in 72 games out of LeClair.  Tom Watt got 14 goals in 73 games out of Cam Neely.  Players move on and play better.  Players underperforming independent of other factors is not a great indictator of bad coaching.  JM is a perfectly adequate coach.

Who’s leg do I have to hump to get a martini around here?

2. patience is a virtue says:

Fair enough about Markov, IF he wasn’t one of the five best defensemen in the NHL.  He is.  He and Carey are our franchise players.  I was thinking $5M too, but realize that’s probably not realistic.  Maybe it is.  I’d say the Habs will, and should, pay $5.5 if they have to.  Markov wants to stay.  Gotta be crazy to let him go.  He’s a steal at $5.5, IF his knee if good to go.  I know that’s a big IF, but it’s a chance we gotta take.

I also agree about the summer of 2014, but Gorges is more like Pleks – a core player here for the long haul.  I bet he becomes captain after Gionta.

Interesting analysis on Picard.  But do you resign him and deny Carle and Nash opportunities when the injuries come next season?  Is Picard willing to be the 8th dman down in Hamilton if Weber sticks?

You may be right about Emelin, but I really don’t know the deets on him.

3. SmartDog says:

Like Price says, he’s not Roy or Dryden, or Brodeur for that matter.  I see Price as a strong guy but Brodeur was incredibly balanced… you could see it in him. I think that’s rare. Last year he’d have 3-4 good games and then a stinker so I think that’s more his pattern.  That Price could play 60 games a season (75%) at his age is exceptional.  To expect 70 or more to me is just not smart.  You ride him too hard and you hurt his confidence and that’s not a good thing.  I just don’t see the reason for the risk, and I think it’s an extremely rare NHL goalie who would be able to do it.

4. Bugs says:

That won’t be good enough, I’m afraid. They have to say Cammalleri-less, Markov-less, and Gorges-less.

That’s the deal and if you would be so kind as to book it, Danno, I would appreciate it.

Polygonically contained, I square off as

L. Bugs Potter, esq., Herzog of ze Abominable Habsuchtig Brigade, Markgraf of ze Fearsome Flanell Flausen Flank, und devoted minion of ze Habsbros Order: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

5. Say Ash says:

One thing that bugged me last night was when we were up 2-1, one of the TSN guys said the game was destined for overtime. No respect.

6. joeybarrie says:

I think sometimes people do not realize that there are not very many point a game players in the NHL. Obviously alot of people have a 10 game memory. The thing is this. AK has been inconsistent for 3+ years now. While he showed alot of promise at such an early age, the tendency is to assume he will only get better as he matures. While this is true, he has shown very few signs of maturing. Pouliot on the other hand is a different story. When he was first traded here Pouliot had the change of scenery production that comes with playing with a new team in some cases. In the playoffs his role changed and he did not adapt. He is a young player and has not had alot of experience. Nothing close to AK. Pouliot is going to be a top 2 line player, maybe better. AK already IS a top 2 line player although he is an underperforming one.

What is going to happen is AK absolutely will go and score in 5 straight games, and Pouliot will not. Thats every NHL season. While JM juggles his lines, which is necessary and happens on every NHL team, the people on this site simply do not pay attention to 29 other teams.

Also of very important note. AK makes 3.25 million at 25 and Pouliot is just over a million at 24. That adds a little to the discussion. While I know that 75 poster will throw Gomez’ contract in my face because of that comment, neither player does on the ice what Gomez does, and neither have come close to doing any of the things Gomez has done. So we can get that out right away…

We are looking at consistency from both of them yes, IMO one has little experience to draw from and the other does. Thats why I think Pouliot is only going to get better for us, and AK is pretty much where he always will be. And to be honest a 50-55 point player is pretty good.

The last thing is everyone expects us to compete for the Cup every year, and expects us to compete in every aspect against every team. That is simply not possible, but it doesnt matter. THATS THE EXPECTATION IN MONTREAL. We do not have a 80+ point player. What we do have are 4-6 players capable of getting 60+ points. Not alot of teams have that. And if they do, they do not have our strong defense. Look at any team on the top of the league and you will see 1 player with a alot of points and then a bunch of supporting players. Once that ONE player goes down, the team hits a slump. (Pittsburgh Penguins are a good example) Thats why are still doing well despite the injuries.

But that brings out 2 BIG problems. ONE is when 1-2 players hit a slump we are struggling, especially with injuries. TWO is in order to be completely successful ALL your players must play a simple game, be responsible and work hard. Thats where our holes show.

I don’t think we should trade either player. I think AK will mature a bit soon and if thats the case he will be a little bit more consistent, but he is NO SUPERSTAR. Thats what everyone EXPECTS of him. 3.5 million for 50-60 points is normal. Pouliot will also gain experience and I think will become a 30 goal scorer. Again if we keep that for under 3 million, we are looking good in the long term.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

7. Bugs says:

Benny? Don’t you mean “Benoît”?

Polygonically contained, I square off as

8. Da Hema says:

Don’t bank on it. TSN, for example, would spend an entire article assessing the “impact” upon the Toronto Maple Leaves losing someone like Brett Libda, yet nary a word about Montreal not playing with its main goal-scorer and its two top defensemen…the latter for an entire season! Bizarre really.

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

Health Canada is reminding Canadians that consumption of the Toronto Maple Leafs has led to vomiting, fever, bloody diarrhea, dementia, and penile dysfunction.

9. ed lopaz says:

100 years from now our great grand children will know who Crosby was.

that is the reason its a big deal the Pens are playing without Crosby,

playing without Cammy???

not exactly the same thing.

10. Say Ash says:

Not remotely the same thing, as the records alone can show.

11. Displaced says:

I know Brodeur is one of the best of all time, but he had a ten year run (excluding the strike season) where he played at least 70 games per year.  That means a rest (on average) every 7-8 games.  Kiprusoff in Calgary is in year-6 of a similar streak.

Who’s leg do I have to hump to get a martini around here?

12. Bugs says:

1. Markov first but take them all.

2. Doesn’t matter. Play him with a fire hydrant if you want, he’ll still bring it.

3. Once his confidence is at its zenith, yes, not before.

4. He got us further we been in 17 years and I don’t remember him being around when Leclair “left here and did better elsewhere”. Will give him benefit of doubt until we miss the playoffs or get eliminated like chumps in the 1st round.

5. Think it was revealed long ago that Jack Marty has implemented successful hockey-playin strategies loooong before any internet sites started criticizin them, despite what trivial data some Monday-morning armchair crow-eaters use for vindication. (not sayin YOU necessarily, Pup; just sayin)

Polygonically contained, I square off as

13. nick says:

Cammalleri hasn’t scored a goal since mid December. I doubt that warrants a Cammalleri-Less-Canadiens statment from the press if by some chance the Penguins win.

14. ed lopaz says:

I thought no one noticed this, but then I forgot Tom Nickle posted here.

It was clearly Hammer and Spacek that were the veterans feuding with PK.

I think they tried to teach PK a few things, and in his way, PK told them that there’s nothing he can’t do in less than 100 games that those guys have done in 30 + years combined.

It got to the point where Hammer would not even pass to PK D to D on the power play or 5 on 5.

I will say it over and over again.

The biggest mistake this team has made over the last 2 seasons is depending on Hammr and Spacek to fill in for the injured Markov.

The acquisition of The Wiz, and PK playing more now that Gorges is hurt and Martin had no other choice, means

FAR LESS responsibility for Hammr and Spacek.

And, it is NO COINCIDENCE that the team is playing excellent hockey.

Martin has a man crush on Hammr and Spacek because they are “veterans”.

Its time that The Wiz and PK take over the back end.

15. mbplekfan says:

Wiz is apparently taking french lessons. That could be a sign that he and PG talked contract already.

16. Displaced says:

Benny’s been here for 415 days and I believe he spells it Pouliot.  A real fan would know that.

:-)

Who’s leg do I have to hump to get a martini around here?

17. mrhabby says:

1.Wis, Markov , Gill .

2. PK to stay with Gil.seems solid and stable duo right now.

3. BP to stay on 3rd line but maybe more time on PP.

4. Martin..lol. Likely not. Team has holes. He coachs what he is given.

5. Getting into dog days of schedule he has no choice or burns price out.

18. SmartDog says:

Good rationale for #3.  I think he’s earned the spot too.  If he hasn’t I dunno how Kostitsyn has (or Cammalleri even).  And I like Kostitsyn.

About 5, goaltending IS mental AND it’s 60 minutes or more.  It’s not 55 second shifts… it’s more mentally draining which is why even good goalies sit every 5 or 6 games.  Price is a strong kid but even last year he’d still buckle under 6 games in a row. I think JM was not smart to ride him so hard and hope he springs back.  A question mark though. If Price sucks going forward I’ll blame JM.

——-

19. mbplekfan says:

1) Markov, Wiz, Gorges. Hamrlik only if there is nothing better on the market. The D as constructed wont win this team much and you cant change it if you keep bringing the same guys back all the time. PK can learn the rest of the year with Gill but I wouldnt bring the big guy back unless its cheap and as a platoon player.

2)Gill and PK seem to like each other. Keep them together.

3) Keep bringing Pouliot along with 3rd line minutes. He’s thinking and learning while watching the first 2 lines play.

4)JM is too conservative to win it all. The system has to be loosened up to generate more goals. 2-1 is risky business. If you make a mistake its tied, one more and you lose. The game is won by scoring 3 goals most nights.

5)Auld is capable. Price can rest more.

20. Danno says:

IF the Penguins beat us tonight, I hope the media will be fair and say the Penguins beat the Cammalleri-less Canadiens, since they kept repeating over and over that the Habs (only) beat Crosby-less Penguins last Wednesday.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

21. Displaced says:

Asuming JM maintains line combinations beyond the first shift, he should stick with Gionta-Gomez-Patches; and then try AK-Plex-Pouliot for the other top line.  Figure out which one of Ak or Pouliot wants it and drop the one down a couple of lines when Cammalleri gets back.

Who’s leg do I have to hump to get a martini around here?

22. Displaced says:

1. Gill and Wiz definitely if that came back at their current salaries.  Gill for anything less three years.  Hamr if you can get a $3m-ish one-year deal, but I think he would get a better offer.  Tough decision, but let Markov walk.  In a way, we’re lucky he’s on LTIR.  If he had underperformed or been in and out of the lineup, we would be sucking cap dollars right now.

2. Gill

3. Put him on in the top 6 as much as possible for the rest of the season.  He has one RFA year left.  Gotta know if he gets a long term deal this off season or not.

4. Johnny Milquetoast is not a Promise Land kinda guy (IMHO).  The only coaches in NHL history who have coached more games without winning a Cup are Pat Quinn (1335 games, 665 wins), Bryan Murray (1239, 620), and Ron Wilson (1188, 555).  I don’t see any of them as winners nor do I expect them to win a Cup – ever.  I think, JM falls into same category.  Safe picks given their long tenures and good guys, just not winners.  If it was going to happen for him, it would have by now.  Probably with the good Ottawa teams.  NHL coaching records: http://bluejackets.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=505586

5. How can a young guy like Price be that tired at mid-season.  Trading Halak made Carey a clear #1.  Most of those guys play 60-70 games plus pre-season and playoffs.  Management wouldn’t have broken a top TANDEM if they didn’t think he could carry the load for a huge majority of games.  Good goaltending his a mental thing.  I think he got into a slump and I think he’s back now.  Hell, look at Thomas great season two years ago, lost it last year, back with a vengeance this year.  You can’t say he was tired for the entire 09-10 season.

Who’s leg do I have to hump to get a martini around here?

23. TomNickle says:

1. Wisniewski – young, offensive, gritty, if he can be taught to eliminate mistakes from his game he can be a #1 guy.  The potential is there.

2. Gill – Gill can teach him.  And if Gill is getting along as well with PK as it seems, who were the veterans that had a problem with PK early in the year?  Can’t see it being Cammalleri, can’t see it being Gomez, really can’t see it being Gionta, it’s not like the captain would speak openly about having a problem with PK’s style.  So who was it?  Moen?  Doubt it.  I think you know where I’m going with this, seems he gets along quite well with Markov too.  That doesn’t leave too many players.

3. Pouliot needs to learn consistency, when he does, he’ll be a top line player.  I don’t know if it will be here, but he will be.  He has the most upside of any player in our organization not named Price or Subban.

4. This team isn’t likely to compete for the Cup but that doesn’t fall on Martin alone.  We have holes, just like everybody else.  Our holes become magnified due to the market and the expectations.  I see a one round victory minimum, possibly two, so a repeat of last year at best I think.

5. He’s going to give Auld more work because this is the time of year that playing time starts to catch up with guys.  I think his next revelation will be that Eller needs to be in the minors so that we can develop Desharnais, and I’d rather not talk about that.

24. TomNickle says:

Markov won’t be earning a penny over $5 million from this team.  No point in debating whether that’s right or wrong but it just won’t happen, too hard to justify that salary to agents when negotiating in the future(ie:  Gauthier offers Subban a contract with a salary around $3 million annually and his agent counters with the argument that Subban hasn’t missed a game due to health problems).  Gill will very likely get an extension if he doesn’t retire, the number is pretty close to accurate I would say.  Gorges isn’t likely to get a five year deal, more likely to be a three year deal so that his contract expires along with Cammalleri, Gionta and Gomez.  The team looks like it’s setting itself up for a huge cap summer again that year.  Wisniewski could get a contract for that amount but something tells me that after being showcased in Montreal for a few months he’ll want to test the free agent market, keeping him may be more expensive than you think.  Martin and Gauthier really like Picard and I find it highly unlikely that they won’t qualify his rights.  I think you can pencil him in for insurance purposes at the least.

It’s a cause for concern due to the team being reluctant to negotiate during the season.  My hunches, Gorges gets a deal, three years, three million annually.  Markov has his negotiating rights traded at the draft.  Gill gets a one or two year extension.  Wisniewski tests the ufa market, Picard gets re-signed and Weber gets re-signed leaving us with Gorges, Subban, Spacek, Picard and Weber.  What the team does from there is anybody’s guess.  I will however speculate that with Kristo and Bournival ready to be signed to entry level deals, Maxim Trunev probably growing frustrated in Russia and the high number of prospects at forward in the system(other than left wing), I see a couple of prospects being moved and maybe even a roster player like Andrei Kostitsyn.  I would assume that these things will happen at the draft or during free agency in July due to the need for all of these players during the season and playoffs.

At this point, I don’t see Yemelin coming over here.  He’s gonna get offered a ton of money to stay in Russia.

25. Just A Guy says:

You take a quick look at other NHL teams and what we think we know about AK, and yeah its tough to imagine a trade that would make both parties happy.

Eller has already played a season in the AHL, 70 games, Pleks spent 3 full seasons in the AHL as well. this year and next year would be perfect, Eller is in the NHL to make the Halak trade look good. There is a perception that he is probably a bit better then Pleks this early in his career, I might concede that point if he starts putting up points in the NHL (which is another mess, see Desharnais vs Eller), then maybe he just needed some time, but I am of the opinion that his time passed already.

Insulation, protection, buffer zone, the idea that Pouliot needs to (re)gain confidence on a line without much expectations. His third line duty is just what he needs and should not be moved up or down based on what micro managment the team needs. Baby Steps.

26. habs001 says:

both players have been inconsistent…when they play well they look very good…the problem is that both players when they go into slumps its not a mini slump but 15-20 games…

27. SeriousFan09 says:

1. Markov should be brought back if they can find a reasonable 1-year deal. Wisniweski ATM seems like a good player to re-sign as well. I’d take Hal Gill for another year due to his playoff ability and leadership, but I think Hamrlik needs to move on.

2. ATM, Gill seems to be keeping PK steady so work with that.

3. Stay where he is for now.

4. Team seems on the right path for now.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

28. SmartDog says:

1. Four UFA D’s this summer.  Who do you most want back of Markov, Hamr, Gill, Wis?  Who do you not want back?

2. Should PK be playing with Gill or Hamr?  Gill is a leader, but Hamr mentoried Phaneuf and is a steady stay-at-home guy.

3. Should Pouliot (our top point-man per minute of play) stay on the 3rd line where he has had success (and probably less pressure) or be promoted to the top 6 to take better advantage of his skill?

4. In December many people trashed JM for his decision-making.  (I was one and stand by it.) Now that the team is winning again, can he take this team to the promised land?  Or is he the reason why players leave here to do better elsewhere?

5. JM says he’s going to play Auld more so that Price can be more rested.  Did he read this on here (from me and others) or is it an original lightning-bolt thought from the blue?  (Rumour says Time is actually JM venting.)  What will JM’s next revelation be?

SD

——-

29. CBrady12 says:

Ok let me get this straight…Pouliot has a couple of good games and all of a sudden hes a top line player and Kostitsyn is expendable….do any of you have memories that extend past the last 2 habs games?? last season pouliot was scoring consistently while on a line with gionta and gomez..then in the playoffs…POOF nothing! this season he starts off slow and gets relegated to third and fourth line TRADE HIM!!! at the start of the season everyone was praising kostitsyn calling him brother andrei, etc etc….now TRADE HIM!!! beginning of the season TRADE GOMEZ!!! now no one says shit about gomez!! like common guys can you stop judging players on the short term…christ if some of you ran an nhl team the roster would be completely different every month…lets stop with the bipolar analysis of our players and just let this shit play out…what if andrei scores  goals in 5 straight games and pouliot does nothing?

30. shiram says:

Well MaxPac is working pretty well with Gomez and Gionta, I guess preserving the second line is more important.

31. oshawahabsfan says:

Considering Martin’s penchant for breaking up lines that are working,
    I’m wondering why he hasn’t paired Desharnais and Max. They were 1-2 in
    AHL scoring playing on a line together after all. Logic would say it’s
    working on the farm, let’s see if it will work on the big club…

32. habs001 says:

san jose could be a team where players are available in trades…they have lost 5 in a row…yest they play a leafs team that is playing its 4th game in six nights including the night before and they give up 4 goals in the third to them…i believe there has to be a major move made by them..ak46 anyone?

33. patience is a virtue says:

There’s been some discussion today about the future of the Hab’s D.  At the risk of provoking your ire, I’ll re-post my salary cap-based research and thoughts on this from yesterday, with edits to reflect the quality discussion that followed it.  The upshot – NO WAY we should be trading for another Dman right now:

Thinking about the future of our defense
    this morning.  Cap management in particular.  I have taken this and next
    season’s Cap hit numbers (as oppose to salary numbers) for our current
    defense (from Habsworld.net and Eliteprospects.com)
    and will toss some ideas out for what we might do for next season and
    beyond, based on that as a starting point.

Dman

600,000         RFA

Subban            875,000      875,000

Spacek
    3,833,333    3,833,333

TOTALS:     $22,558,333  4,708,333

The
    total team Cap space allowed for 2010-11 is $59.4M (that might go up by about $2M for next season).  NOTE that Markov’s
    and Gorges’ cap hits are eligible for relief retroactive to the dates
    they went on the LTIR (go here to learn the complexities of how that
    works).  We have no problems for this season, it’s next year I am
    wondering about.

If you take away The Wiz’s contract, we had a
    little under $20M alotted to defense this season.  Of that, only $4.7M
    is on contract for next year (Subban and Spac).  Rather than explain all
    my choices in detail, I am just going to through out my list for next
    year and see what folks say.  I’ll check in later to respond and justify
    my choices:

That’s 7
    Dmen with Weber:

Markov – Wiz

Gorges – Gill

Subban – Spacek

Weber

If we can get Emelin to come over for $3.5M or less, sign him to a one year, two-way deal and see what happens.  He is having a great season in the KHL and is a hard hitting, defensive defenseman with some offensive skills.  If he sticks, make a trade for him or get a pick or prospect or two for Spacek and keep him.

34. shiram says:

What and from who can we get for AK?? I really wonder who would take him, and what we’d get back… not much I say.

Eller in the ahl i agree, but why 200 games?? thats 2 seasons and a half.

And insulation for Pouliot, does that mean he needs to wear a turtleneck like Plekanec??

35. Just A Guy says:

Thoughts, at least the ones I can snatch out of my lotto ball shaker of a brain:

Trade AK, just don’t get fleeced..please. Shop him around, he’s still an RFA next year. The counter thought to this is that his time in Montreal screwed him up worse then any player in the NHL, imagine being mentored by Kovalev… enough said. Pleks is probably the only one who knows how to play with him while AK slowly learns how to play hockey again.. again. the Prevailing thought is that he’s had enough time to develop, and I mostly agree, but he also had enough time to learn bad habits, unlearn them and learn better ones (which I think he might be doing right now).

Eller needs to play 200 games in the AHL and come up a more complete player ala Pleks. By then there also should be a spot on the team for him… just don’t mention Leblanc’s name around him. Desharnais is good and hungry enough for the NHL, the hunger being Eller’s problem, and he seemed to have hit the ground running even if he did get a short end of the proverbial stick against the Rangers last night.

Pouliot needs more insulation on the 3rd line, if he can get to 20+ goals I would think next year he can go to the top line. But as for now, it might still be too much too soon. AK not working out is not Pouliot’s fault.

36. patience is a virtue says:

rotfl

I was wondering what you’d say to that!

37. observer says:

Seahawks make the playoffs with a losing record and then win over the Super Bowl champions, Leafa win 4 in a row again, last night over San Jose, but worse Gauthier is starting to look like he is a genius or a another Sam Pollock – the world really must be coming to an end in 2012 like they say.

38. Bugs says:

Hardcore doesn’t even BEGIN to describe it, yo; I’m a BAD ASS muthaluvva.

Polygonically contained, I square off as

39. Bugs says:

Not one to “LOL” but that actually made me snort after I laughed.

I salute you, sir.

Polygonically contained, I square off as

40. Da Hema says:

:-)

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

41. Bugs says:

A 1st round pick to us, I hope.

Polygonically contained, I square off as

42. twocents says:

Here, have one of my handkerchiefs, gold-spun silk.

43. habs001 says:

our goaltending and d has been amazing…yes they make mistakes but these mistakes are over analyzed because we hardly score goals so we cannot afford to give up goals…we are very close to leading our division and our record is pretty close to some of the top teams in the nhl…this is why price,the d and pk have to be given joint mvp award…we are 26th in scoring ,in almost every season if a team after 40 games was this low in scoring they would be much closer to a lottery pick position than where we are…if 4 of our forwards had 3-4 more goals we would very close to  the top in the nhl…

44. Bugs says:

Woulda made more sense with a fourth point maybe.

Anyway, didn’t like it.

Polygonically contained, I square off as

45. patience is a virtue says:

I had been fretting a bit over all these barely-victories (i.e. could coming out of the slump be a lucky-bounce illusion?), but then I recall that we are winning games against good teams (Pits, Bos, NY) in a crucial stretch that I was hoping we’d survive at .500 a couple of weeks ago when the slump was in full effect.

And we are doing it with Cammy still incognito and now off sick (perhaps he has been sick for a while – the bugs this winter are hardcore).

If we can get some points out of these next two games vs Pits and NY, we face Cal, Buf, Ott and the Ducks before a month-end exam against Philly.  Nothing is ever certain, but Jan could be a heck of a month for our Habs!

46. Da Hema says:

It doesn’t Bugzed. A team would need to find some independent value in a player they would seek to acquire. My question was what would Andrei bring to Nashville to make their team better? Andrei must bring something of value to a team. What does he bring to the ice?

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

47. Bugs says:

Reticent at first, I can’t help but conclude that Darche is the fuel that keeps Poolio runnin.

Am wary to separate them, even for exigent circumstances.

Regularly quadrilateral, I square off as

48. Just A Guy says:

Thank you Jupiter I mean!.. jhwh I mean!…Thor I mean!… etcetera? You culturaly ubiquitous thunder/hockey god.

49. rdiddy says:

AK will get traded and explode somewhere. My random guesses are Dallas, NYR or Nashville.

Darche will be back for sure next year. he has earned another 1-way contract.

Wiz will be re-signed but Hammer and Gill will both be replaced by younger parts. Gorges will be resigned 3 Years, 2.5 Mill. Marky will be re-signed 1 Year – 5.5 mill

D next year will:

Subban – Markov

Wiz – Spacek

Weber – Gorges

Spare – Emelin

Lars needs top minutes and Martin isnt a coach that has patience for younger players so he may not get those minutes in Montreal. Maybe he needs to have a revelation season like Max-Pac had in Hamilton to get his mojo back. For a period of games in November Eller was one of our best players.

50. Bugs says:

No more thinkin? No more dekin? No more nice-passin (which he can save for when he’s 1st line ctr)?

Just straight-up SHOOTIN?

(sniff) Thanks, Deuce. Nicest thing anyone’s…(sniff)

Cuz you know, I rather he take a shot from 30ft out than send in DARCHE all alone with a nice pass, knowumsayin? …(sniff-choke)…aww, I need a moment…thanks, Deuce.

Regularly quadrilateral, I square off as

51. Da Hema says:

That is surprisingly linear reasoning for a quadrilat!

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

52. Bugs says:

I think my equation to Heppa qualifies as a worthy reply to this post as well.

Please correct me if it doesn’t.

Regularly quadrilateral, I square off as

53. Bugs says:

A= They got Sergei to go.

B= Sergei leads the Kostitsyn brothers

A + B = C = Sergei will lead his brother to go as well in Nashville

Regularly quadrilateral, I square off as

54. twocents says:

I have.

Enjoy.

55. rhino514 says:

Pouliot can play on the top line. But then you are left with a 2 line team. Pouliot and Darche have carried the centers on the third line but if you take one of them away they won´t apply near enough pressure to be productive. Though i´m not a fan of kostitsyn, He needs skilled players to play with. He would do zero on the third line. Interesting to see what JM will do. Try to have 2 real  lines going, or stick with 3 balanced lines, but with an underutilized Pouliot on the third line and Kostitsyn hurting Cam and Plekanec on the number one line…Also maybe Pouliot does play better with Darche creating net presence. But if you are going to use Pou on the third line at least find a way to get him 15 minutes a game. That´s where I´ve never understood Martin.

Would still rather get another D to replace Gorges than a top six, despite the lack of scoring depth. Webber and Picard are costing them goals. Maybe Carle is ready.

56. Bugs says:

Oh, my gosh! Journal de Montréal. I can hardly believe it!

“Auteur du but gagnant mardi face aux Rangers, Pouliot traverse (…) une bonne séquence.

«Je sais que j’ai un bon tir. Je dois juste commencer à me mettre ça dans la tête. De bonnes choses arrivent lorsque je mets la rondelle au filet», a-t-il ajouté.”

Has Zeus finally answered my prayers?!

Regularly quadrilateral, I square off as

57. nunacanadien says:

Letang with Wisnewski would be a very dangerous combination, add some size up front with players like Iggy outa Calgary.  Where do we free up the money?  Start crapping on Gomez for not speaking french and crap on Gionta for being too small to crash the net.  This will give us the money to buy the Letangs and the Iggys if we could a Goglieski that would be a natural with Subban.

58. Da Hema says:

Why would Nashville be foolish not to trade for Andrei? Will having Russian brothers increase attendance in Nashville? Unlikely. Will they both play harder and better being on the same team? That wasn’t the experience in Montreal. Please explain why Nashville would (or should) desire Andrei.

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

59. mike g says:

Not really. Sergei is a totally different example. He was never given the top minutes, PP duties, and never playef with our best forwards. Andrei has, and is looking way out of place, if youre able to even notice him. Sergei,imo, had maturity problems, but he was always known to be a hard worker and player with an edge. All he needed was the opportunity to produce. Andrei has the opportunity for 3 years now, and isnt delivering. Notice how successfil Pleks is, no matter who he plays with. And most of all, Sergei came with a very low cap hit, so the gamble was worth it. Ak isnt cheap. And btw, ur boy Poulioo is becoming one of my favs, love his work ethic. Especially that hes on the 3rd line, i love how hes responding. He couldve thrown the towel, like Ak seems to have, but Bennys looking like a real mature and devoted pro.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

60. kempie says:

AK will finish the season for us. We need him to but I bet he remains unqualified on July 1. Plus I don’t think he’d fetch that much. Maybe a 2nd + a 5th like Wiz.

Darche will likely be back. I don’t think PG would have acquired Wiz if he wasn’t in his plans for the future. He’s a good fit for what we need. Gill will likely get an offer at a lower price tag.

Eller may be headed for the Hammer but we still need an extra forward in the pressbox. Maybe a swap of Eller & White?

61. shiram says:

We wont get much for him in trade, right? A third round pick would be good return for him probably?With that in mind i rather see him on a third line, and maybe bring up Pouliot.

62. Habnofear says:

a)AK is toast next year….this year ????

b) Darche…with out this guy were screwed

c)Wiz and Gill…keepers!

d)Pax- Desharnais-Eller=kid line

63. mike g says:

Replace him??!! Hes been invisible, useless and a total non factor for over a month. If u ask me, it shouldnt take much to replace that.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

64. shiram says:

If he keeps playing as he did since coming here, maybe, but then he sorta has a weird history with teams not keeping him or trading him for picks.

We have the rest of the year to evaluate him.

65. Seps says:

Wisniewski is definately worth 4+ million, I’d sooner sign him than Markov right now, hes younger and Markov seems to keep on getting hurt.  I think we could even sign them both once we get rid of AK’s 3.5M and I’d rather give more money to keep Wiz and Markov then make a one-year offer to Gill.

66. shiram says:

As floaty as AK46 is, we dont have the pieces to replace him, he will most likely finish his season here, and wont resign with MTL in the off season.

67. Bugs says:

Disagree. Think Nashville wants Andrei.

They’d be fools not to.

Regularly quadrilateral, I square off as

68. HFX-HabFan says:

If AK46 is dealt, it likely won’t be until the off-season.  I can’t see us re-signing him for that much more from what we’re currently paying him.

Junkyard Darche has been a revelation, and though I’m still not completely convinced of where he fits in with this team going forward, he is a great 13th forward who can come for cheap.  The bigger question surrounding Darche is whether or not he will get more than two minutes of ice time per game in the playoffs.

I would bring Gill back but on this next contract take it a year at a time.

Based on the Laps trade, I’d have to think that it’s PG’s every intention to bring back the Wiz.  Note that we acquired a fifth rounder in 2012 along with Festerling, which covers our bases for the “conditional” fifth rounder in 2012 that would be going to NYI if the Wiz is re-signed.

I admit I have been very against sending Eller to the ‘Dogs, but there is no point in him watching from the press box or getting five minutes a night.  The kid oozes potential and he needs to further dominate the AHL to build up his confidence (ala Pacioretty this year).

69. HABZ24 says:

ak46 is now wax pistol46. useless floater.trade this bumm for a bucket of pucks and a water boy to be named later. pouliot is gaining confidence and its great to see him emerge. three wins in a row, keep the train a rollin.

70. mike g says:

Ak isnt going anywhere, because nobody wants him. There is a such thing as struggling, and its normal. But thats not the case with him, he just doesnt care. And at his salary, few teams would even waste the thaught of him on their squad. And id gladly use his cap space to resign the Wiz, at least he brings it every night and is a constant factor on every PP.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

71. DarthWade says:

I would love for the Habs to sign Wiz. Sign him now rather than wait for the off-season. He seems to really love it here.

AK has to go but he probably won’t go until the off-season. The Habs know all they need to know about him. If they re-sign him, it’ll be one of the biggest blunders they’ve made in the last few years.

Lars should go down to Hamilton. I have nothing against him, but he probably would be better off there for now.

72. shiram says:

Only PG must know all that, but let’s guess.

AK46 will probably end his season here, but its not likely he’d be back beyond that.

Darche is harder to say, so I’ll go with uh… yea he will.

Wiz and Gill, well if Wiz wants 4million+ i see it difficult in keeping him. Gill, could be back, one year deal, probably no raise.

Lars to Hamilton, yea i can see that happening pretty soon.

73. shuttle-lemaire-lafleur says:

Just proves the owners are the insane…. and the league is waterd down !!

74. lenny says:

Couple of questions…

Will AK46 be dealt? for who? If not does he resign?

Will Darche be back next year?

What about Wiz and Gill

Is Lars heading to Hamilton?

75. jennifer1984 says:

tough choice but i pick Gionta since 21 is my number……and Gio’s pretty awesome

76. RGM says:

I’d go with the Captain for this one

77. Chuck says:

How much are they selling for? The only difference between what the Habs are wearing now is the 2-tone numbers on the jersey (which they should return to full-time, btw.), and the heritage patch.

Centre Hice: Bruins to unveil new look vs. Habs

78. HABSsince92 says:

Looking to get a 2011 heritage classic jersey should I get Subban or Gionta?

Been a Habs fan since I was in 2nd grade and sat behind Patrick Roy at the Aud.

79. mike g says:

Nice..

Love seeing kids like Eller and DD on the ice for optional practices. Shows how much they care about being noticed and keeping their spots. Devotion..

And once again, can’t say that about AK. If there’s 1 player on this team who should be doing anything he could to get noticed, it’s him. The way he played last night was a disgrace, once again. I don’t think I’ve disliked a Hab as much as I do towards him. IMO, one of the least proud players to ever put on the CH. When he’s not on his game, he’s simply an ugly player to watch, if you’re able to notice him. And he’s on his game about 4% of the time…

Benny, way to go kid. Keep it up, glad to see him wanting to make a difference and stamp his name on key wins. Same thing for Darche.

Last night I was livid about Auld, and today I’ll apologize. Did he steal the game, no. But, he was able to keep us in it and give us a chance to win. And that’s all you can ask from your backup, especially one who plays once a month. Mind you, the Rangers hit 2 posts that could’ve changed the game, but still. Those didn’t turn into goals, so we shouldn’t debate. Good stuff from Alex.

And also a good game from Webber. He had alot of shifts vs Gaborik, and shut him down. Gabby had 0 shots from the slot and didn’t look dangerous at all.

Spacek, 1 bad turnover, but for the most part played well.

3 stars of the night, in no order: Benny, Darche and Pleks.

3 non-stars of the night: Gaborik, AK and Pierre McGuire (he’s just the most annoying human being on televison).

What you think?

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

80. SmartDog says:

The only forgiveness for AK is if he brings it tonight and throws his body around.  A Gordie Howe hatrick would put him back in my good books, or even 2/3 of one.

——-

81. Malreg says:

I thought Webber had a pretty bad game.  Whenever the opposing team gets in down low and starts cycling it, he has no way to break up the play, and he always seems overpowered.

Also, for a puck moving defenseman with a great shot, I haven’t seen anything too impressive from him in that regard either, aside from the shift where Spacek scored last night.  Then again, I haven’t been able to sit down and watch very many games from start to finish lately.

82. Bugs says:

Think there’s no need to praise Dezzy and Eller’s devotion or whatever. Doubtful the practice was “optional” for them.

Also think Auld played better than you’re giving him credit for.

Rest was ok.

Regularly quadrilateral, I square off as

83. Ron in Ottawa says:

I can never understand all the negative chatter about Pierre McGuire. I suspect some fans with limited knowledge of the game beyond their passion for Montreal dislike him because he’s not a cheerleader. I still think he would make a fantastic GM- he has the experience as a coach and ass’t GM plus his knowledge of all the NHL teams, plus the minor leagues and the Europeons makes him a lethal weapon. I wish the Molsons would drop PG and JM and bring in someone fresh like McGuire. He also speaks french and he grew up in Montreal. But I’ll bet the Molsons will do nothing and will tinker with the team but not see the meain problem- drafting and coaching.

84. Hobie Hansen says:

Ya Gill isn’t bad man.

When Montreal first signed him I wondered what the heck they were doing and used to cringe every time he was on the ice. It was mid-way through last season when I noticed how good he was on the PK or when the opposing team had their goalie pulled.

Yes he’s slow as hell and it looks ugly when he is beaten but his good far outweighs his bad. He has no skill what so ever but his huge wing span and positioning make him pretty damn good!

Not sure if we resign him over the summer though? He’ll probably take a smaller pay cheque so I guess we take him back for another season, even though he is starting to get up there in age.

85. joeybarrie says:

Anytime something like the NYR goal last night happens, always see alot of Gill bashing. For his -8 and times he is beaten because he is slow, I have to say that he is doing very very well. He brings so much to the team. His blocking and PK play alone saves this team. He was a BIG part of the Pens winning their last Cup leading the PK time and having top four minutes. Just having his reach on the ice alone probably helps stop 5 shots a game.

Its always the same with our fans. If they don’t see him scoring then the blinders come up for the rest of his game. If he is such a useless player, why did the team that won the Cup play him over 20 minutes a game???

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

86. Da Hema says:

:-)

I will not use phrases such as “underdog” and “doubleheader” anymore.

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

87. doug says:

Oh, you mean they’ve come back in a HOCKEY game.  I hadn’t been watching and when I read about all this coming from behind business in the press I had assumed sexual connotations.

88. SmartDog says:

LOL

Ever watch the British version of The Office?  Funnier than the American one – the Dwight character is a week-end warrior and they ‘normal’ couple is always feigning interest to ask him questions like that while he explains how he’d ‘take a man from behind’ or ‘give warm comfort to a fellow soldier’.  And Gervais is UNBELIEVABLY funny in his role.  Outstanding.

——-

89. doug says:

I’m not going to permit my kids to watch any more Habs game if the players keep coming from behind.

90. Da Hema says:

The Habs are sending a bad message to Canadian youth. How dare the players show that diligence, hard work, and perseverance pay dividends!

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

91. HABSsince92 says:

Around $180 online at icejerseys.com. I love Gio but I’ve been wanting to get a PK jersey so I am kinda torn 50/50 right now.

Been a Habs fan since I was in 2nd grade and sat behind Patrick Roy at the Aud.

92. jennifer1984 says:

i think your only option at this point is to flip a coin!

93. mike g says:

Dont hold your breath… Ive been waiting for a half decent performancr by him for over a month…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

94. mike g says:

Hes small, so he will always be poor protrcting against the cycle and in down low situations. However, i liked his play on 1 on 1ns coming into the zone. But like u, id like to see more offence from him in the future, when hes more experienced in this league. Thats what hes supposed to be, at least

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

95. fbkj says:

too late

i would suggest not comming anywhere near me with a darklight

96. soperman says:

I like the fact that Price was there for an optional practice.  I think he has an improved work ethic.

97. EastCoastJoe says:

Alternately, it tells you the opposite about Kostitsyn.

98. canadiens26 says:

I guess he is not as tired as people think he is.

99. Trenton_Romulox says:

I’m not sure how optional an “optional practice” really is for a starting goalie, but I do agree that his work ethic seems to be improved this year. And with his personality, it’s sometimes tough to tell. He’s very calm and relaxed on and off the ice (most of the time) and it’s very easy to confuse that type of person with someone who is apathetic.

100. steadyjake says:

I dont know if someone also posted this under the ranger game wrap up but

Why did we always miss out on deals like the Rangers pulled off? We need a guy like Woltski (size and scoring skill at forward). And the Rangers get him for a washed-up D-man. Hell, we got 2 of them! 3 if you count cement-footed Gill. Spacek has been good lately, though, IMO, better than Hammer.

2nd best Goals Against in the NHL. We dont need another defenceman — even though Weber still hasnt stepped up (he sucked last night) and Picard is just OK (best pinching instincts to keep the play in the off zone).

We needed Woltski and another one got away.

101. joeybarrie says:

You are giving Wolski too much credit, and not enough to Rozsival. He isnt washed up and Wolski is the same size as Pouliot and ee doesnt really hit or use his size. From the limited times I have seen him.

What were we going to offer for Wolski? There is a reason why we are 2nd best in GA and you don’t mess with that, especially with our injuries.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

102. Hobie Hansen says:

We already have a Wolski…Kostitsyn. Looks like they both have the tools to succeed but always seem to fail in meeting expectations.

103. Habsrule1 says:

Not sure if you actually do not see the value of Gill, but I’d bet plenty of teams would want him. He’s slow, but he’s very good in his own end, especially on the PK.

Here we go. Are we going to question the Habs management every time a deal goes down or someone is signed? It’s getting really old.

Go Habs Go!! “Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.” – Sam Pollock

104. Mark C says:

I take it you are a big fan of AK46. Wolski is pretty much AK46, just gets more ice time and has zero physical game.

105. Da Hema says:

I doubt the Habs would have the best penalty killing in the league without Gill….

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

106. fbkj says:

rds buzzed in my pants again

cammy not playing tonite

107. jennifer1984 says:

booooo :(

however i can say i got sick after christmas and i JUST started feeling better on friday.

108. ZepFan2 says:

Anymore “buzzing” and your pants wil be wet and sticky.

————————————————————————

“Young people have seen that a team can play electrifying, fascinating hockey while still behaving like gentlemen.”

~Serge Savard~

109. joeybarrie says:

Not necessarily true. No reason for a guy to be tired for the game if it serves no purpose. AK has been coming back and hitting. He simply might be sore or tired.

His whole career has shown us his work ethic, but it has been improving. This is just one instance. Price didnt play last night, and Eller had a nice few skates before he took a long rest. DD wants to stay up with the big club. I wouldn’t read into this, especially with the late arrival.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

110. jimmy shaker says:

Howz the east coast Joe?  I’ve got family ties out east….

Shaker

111. matraque says:

AK traded yet?

Damn…

——

Canadien en 5! Never go Full Retard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svwGRJA28lY&feature=related

112. joeybarrie says:

And Wolski is a 3.8 million cap hit. Seems like two over paid players were underperforming on either team and a change might get Wolksi (or SK) going.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

113. steadyjake says:

I love Gill’s game in his own end, sure. He shines on the PK. But so much of the game today demands D-men be flexible and fast to turrn and run after the chip and chase stuff. For every blocked shot or pass on the PK, there is a Dubinsky that smokes by Gill like last night. Im not saying trade him, we should dump Hammer first. In fact, on that subject, the sooner we lose Gomez the better. His heart isnt in it. He plays no defence, coughs up the puck constantly, and hasnt scored near enough dollars-to-goals. His salary is absurd, I know, so just pay him out through his contract and send him home to Alaska.

Eller will get it. Pouliot is getting better, using his size. That SO move last week was sick.

114. Mark C says:

You write all of this about Gomez, yet you want Wolski? All of these points apply 100% to Wolski, his heart and defence have always been questioned, and 6 goals in 37 games is hardly a good dollars-to-goals rate for a player making $3.8M.

115. Da Hema says:

I love your avatar, but dump Hamrlik? Have you had too much sun? So we would play Weber 22 minutes a game? You complain about Hamrlik, but you would be the first poster screaming about how crappy Weber is.

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

116. jimmy shaker says:

Cammi out!

Shaker

117. habfan53 says:

Agree last night they were saying that this could be Wolski’s last chance in that he won’t be able to loaf to Tort’s.  Keep the devil you know