Audio: Brian Gionta named captain

Canadiens forward Brian Gionta (centre) becomes the 28th player in franchise history to wear the “C” on his sweater. With him are defencemen Andrei Markov on the left and Hal Gill on the right, as his assistant captains for this season. Peter McCabe, The Gazette

AUDIO: Brian Gionta | Jacques Martin

After going an entire season without a captain, the Canadiens announced on Wednesday that Brian Gionta will become the 28th player in franchise history to wear the “C” on his sweater,succeeding Saku Koivu, who assumed that role from 1999 to 2009.

Gionta, who was one of three assistants named at the start of the 2009-10 season, will have defencemen Andrei Markov and Hal Gill as his assistant captains. The 31-year-old Gionta is entering his ninth season NHL season and his second with the Canadiens. Signed as a free agent on July 1, 2009, Gionta made his presence felt in his first season with the Canadiens, leading the team with 28 goals, including a team high 10 power-play goals. Gionta also recorded three game-winning tallies and posted a team-high 237 shots on goal.

• This was fast: has a promotional video up

Elliotte Friedman’s great Inside Hockey piece on Gionta:

Props to La Presse’s François Gagnon for reporting this two weeks ago.

reasons best known to the Canadiens, they anointed their new Captain on
Twitter, in lieue of a formal announcement at the Bell Centre.

The Gionta File:

• Full name is Brian Joseph Gionta

• Captained Boston College to a NCAA championship in 2000-’01

• Second American to captain the Canadiens. Chris Chelios was co-captain (with Guy Carbonneau) in 1989-’90

• Second free-agent acquisition to captain the team (Mike Keane was the first)

• Gionta becomes the third 5’7″ Captain in Canadiens’ history. Previous mighty mites: Yvan Cournoyer and Henri Richard

Pierre LeBrun on Gionta

1. RGM says:

Not our fault that people have defective keyboards.

2. avatar_58 says:

After the CJAD comedy fest I’m not sure how anyone could NOT love the guy.

3. Mattyleg says:

Mine just has a #10 on the back.

My first hero.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

4. Mad Habber says:

It’s interest, your discription of Phaneuf sounds exactly what the Laughs GM…Probably a franchise philosphy there. Hopefully the Habs can say the same about there leader.

5. Say Ash says:

For many people here, Gomez is still a four-letter word.

6. aemarchand11 says:

Nice, thanks!

my boy higgins…. didnt quite pan out. Can drink with the best of them though!

7. RGM says:

Both as a Gomez quote and as a quality of Gionta. LOL

8. RS says:

Talented player, no heart, not captain material.

9. SmartDog says:

What?  It’s against the rules to quote Scott Gomez on HIO?

Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

10. quentin_stuckley says:

i had a roy, muller, and recchi myself.  went more obsolete faster than my computer.

11. Mike Boone says:

I should Delete that … but it’s 100% accurate.

12. TorontoHabsFan says:

Oh I know all about the mighty Rochester – home of The Garbage Plate!  🙂

13. HabsFanInTampa says:

Just barely a Yankee. Rochester, NY is an hour and a half drive away from the Canadian border at Niagara Falls. Or 60 miles across Lake Ontario.

14. fbkj says:

its a hundred bucks, got my richard jersey done up this year

current players will bite you in the ass… ever see the asshole with the zubrus jersey at a game

15. fbkj says:

didnt work out that well for saku

16. db says:

As long as we win it doesn’t matter… (not that that’s any better)

17. mike g says:

Yea, so they charge you $700.

Honestly, not alot of people know this, and I didn’t either, but they all send it to the same place.

No matter what professional/authentic Reebok jersey stitching you want done, they all get sent to this one place in MTL.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

18. Tony000 says:

Not being born in Canada might actually be an advantage in the eyes of a separatist, since they supposedly want nothing to do with Canada, unless it’s their exorbitant Canadian federal government pensions, unrealistic Provincial equalization payments or political style kickbacks / trough feedings.

19. RGM says:

Also, not an asshole.

20. quentin_stuckley says:

your last sentence was spot on as to why this is such a non-issue for the most part.  i do think a captain needed to be named for the sake of posterity; this is a franchise steeped in tradition/history, so a legacy has to be made.  but the fact there were so many choices only illustrates a solid team core.

that said, gionta is a great ambassador for the habs, both in work ethic and league-wide respect.  congrats.

21. mike g says:

Trust me I won’t…

These have been my last 4 jerseys:

Zednik, Land, Sergei, and Price.

I see an alarming trend there…

Just more pressure to add to Price’s shoulders..

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

22. fbkj says:

play it again sports?

dont be a cheapass, take it to the bell center!!!

23. mike g says:

Only if he steals another purse.

Then I gotta “represent”, and show respect.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

24. Mattyleg says:

Whatever you do, Mike, don’t get Gionta stitched on there. We’d hate to lose him too.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

25. Caballero says:

I am also shocked at this. Is it possible that injury had some part to play in this? Both players suffered injuries that seemed to really affect their play. Oh but wait, in the case of Komisarek there is also the problem of his being a total b*&%h.

26. HFX-HabFan says:

Are you going to make it an O’Byrne one now?

27. pierre lapuck says:

He was the right choice last season and the right choice this year too.  Now look at the difference in leadership styles between Captain G.; quiet, determined, leads by example, plays the game right and the new maple leaf captain Phaneuf; loud, brash, arrogant, cocky.  By the end of the seasonthjose divergent leadership styles will have had their effect in the room. What happens in the room goes on the ice.  Leafs are doomed and as usual HABS RULE.

28. Mattyleg says:

Awesome, great work Habs, he’ll be a fantastic captain.

There’s no question that the guys will play for him.

I like what Gomez said on CJAD, saying that they point to Gionta to show young guys what it means to be a professional.

Go Habs.

–Hope Springs Eternal—

29. Caballero says:

Gionta’s appointment is clearly part of the Molson’s federalist agenda. Darche was the obvious choice. My homeboy from Ville-St-Laurent! hehe

30. matmacat says:

I don’t know… maybe because he was a wicked hockey player?

31. twocents says:

Congratulations Brian! You deserve it.

Anybody sense divisions or factions on this team?

Quite refreshing isn’t it. All controversy emanates from without and the sheer lack of fuel exposes the “emanaters” for the desperate, scrapping malcontents that they are.

32. RS says:

The right choice was made. Okay, let’s move on.

P.S. I still can’t believe that Pierre Turgeon was ever the captain of the Habs.

33. mike g says:

He better be careful what he says..

The NHL is watching his every move.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

34. mike g says:

Yes there is…

You can unstitch the name patch yourself, it will take baout an hour. Don’t unstitch the letter individually, just the rectangluar name patch.

Then go to Play It Again Sports, and they’ll charge you about $40 to send it out to Reebok, and they’ll stictch on the name you want.

I did it for my Zednik jersey when I worked there. Turned it into a Lang.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

35. Habfan29 says:

Did Gomez actually say that….To funny that just goes to show how tight the room is……

36. soflohabsfan says:

From twitter “@Real_ESPNLeBrun: Just spoke with Lou Lamoriello who was oozing pride with his former Devil Gionta now captain of the Habs, “They made a great decision.””

37. krob1000 says:

An American as captain? He can’t speak French? He is too small to be a captain…..what does Jean Beliveau think of this?  Gionta was more Halak than Price…what will this do to the room? am I for real? hope you don’t think so but at some point (as soon as we lose 2 games….after the now madatory 20 game gelling period that is) these questions will come crawling out of the woodwork from the same morons who boo our goalies and players…..sigh….guess that’s the way the ball bounces in Montreal….

38. Caballero says:

Great choice, but I hope Brian can say a few words in french. Let’s see how long the french media can hold back on the French issue. I say first question he gets will be are you learning French? He should just learn how to say “Oui monsieur” for a start, that will shut them up for a few weeks. Then every few weeks he can feed them another line in french. That should pull him through for this year…

39. soflohabsfan says:

Great choice!!!!!

40. mchab33 says:

Higgins was my fav back then, can’t believe what’s happened to him.  Three years ago the talk was if Higgins or Komi was going to be our future captain.  Oh how the times have changed.

41. Storm Man says:

OMG how can this happen??? he does not speak french and was not born in Canada. Gilles Duceppe must have crapped his pants. I bet now he is wanting a Referendum asap. I think Gio is a great pick.

42. Mark C says:

I’m with one on this, the size and strength of the leadership core is much more important than whether there is a captain or not, and who that caption is.

The best part of the captain debate for me, was the realization that 6 or 7 players on the team had a strong case to be the one wearing the C or an A.

43. fbkj says:

well now that WE have netflix that lines become blurrier

44. fbkj says:

but its wednesday 🙁

45. aemarchand11 says:

I have a higgins jersey… Authentic…

Anyway to take the namebar off and get a gionta namebar placed on it??

46. TorontoHabsFan says:

And worst of all…he’s a…gasp…yankee!

47. Propwash says:

Can it Pauline 😉

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

48. Rudy says:

I wonder when they took the picture of him with the C, first day of training camp?

49. krob1000 says:

This team has leadership up the wazoo so it doesn’t really matter, they all seem to get along pretty well and are able to make fun of each other, which also means any one of them can feel comfortable calling out another.  Giving the C to Gionta just provides a clear direction, he is here for another 4 years, his heart is half the size of his body, and he never takes a second off, he is a professional through and through.  He will now be a reh rah guy, the room has plaenty of those guys, but much like Koivu he is the epitomy of a hockey player. If you don’t like Saku Koivu or Brian Gionta you have issued in my opinion…..those are two unbelieveable professionals.  Gionta is the most right choice IMo, but there several other choices that would have been right too…but you are right the difference in the room is negligible.  But the great thing about picking a guy like Gionta is that no matter what his stats say…he will never take a shift off…..he will go in places he has no business being, he is proud and seasoned and will not be fazed by any of the hoopla that surrounds the position …for those reasons I think this is a great move.

50. Highspeed969 says:

YESSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Although I may need to get a ‘C’ put on the jersey I bought last year 🙂

51. CERF says:

to quote a fellow below… “booooooooooooooooooooooo”

I was leaning towards Cammy but Gio is OK by me.

53. fbkj says:

his french is paltry and hes too short

54. avatar_58 says:

Symbolism really, as they said – tons of leaders, the C doesn’t matter

55. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Allons-y Montreal!

56. soflohabsfan says:

Awesome video I am so pumped for the home opener its gonna be sick.

57. marshx says:

Great decision!

58. Jordio-oh says:

I just need to pick up Hal Gill in my hockey pool and I’ll have the C and both A’s on my team.

59. avatar_58 says:

Next year. For now Gill is older and wiser. Gorges will watch and take over after that 🙂 I have no issue with this

60. TorontoHabsFan says:

Am I the only person who doesn’t give a tinker’s damn whether a team has a captain or not? Don’t get me wrong, I love Gionta, think he’s a damn fine hockey player who has intangibles out the wazoo…but really, does putting a C on his jersey really do anything to alter that?

I think the whole captain thing is more for the media and the fans than the guys in the room.

That being said, if we’re going to keep having captains, then I think Gionta was absolutely the best choice.

61. BJ says:

Gill is on the last year of his 2 year pact. So if he’s not re-signed next year Gorges should get it.

62. Habs_008 says:

love the move. Great choice. Bring on the laffs

63. adam76 says:

Great decision – however, I would have thought josh gorges would have at least gotten an A over Gill.

64. mike g says:

Should have been Desharnais.

We need to protect the heritage and our “roots”.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

65. Propwash says:

His whole commentary was a riot.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

66. Trenton_Romulox says:

This is a load off my mind, haha. I ordered during the NHL Shop’s free customization day on Monday a Brian Gionta jersey with the C on the front. It’s gonna be a good Christmas!

But more related to the story: Gionta is the best choice, I think. He’s gritty, he works as hard as anyone, and he carries himself with class on and off the ice. He’s exactly what you want out of a leader. Leads by example. Great choice by the Habs.

67. SeriousFan09 says:

A Promotional Video from on the Captaincy.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

68. JD_ says:

“The third star is, uh, number six, Spacek, because he realized that we were wearing the red jersey tonight and he didn’t have five turnovers, so that was…uh…a big step for him.” – Scott Gomez providin’ colour durin’ the CJAD broadcast Monday night.

Too bad the guy has to lace ’em up every night.

69. nickster13 says:

Good! he leads by example, aka the type of captain we’ve had in every year of our existence pretty much