Audio: Auld gets start vs old team

AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Jaroslav Spacek | Carey Price

Alex Auld will be betwen the pipes when the Canadiens face the Florida Panthers at the Bell Centre tonight.

Auld, a former goalie with the Panthers, has a lifetime 3-0-4 record against his old team, most recently allowing two goals on 22 shots in Montreal’s 3-2 win in Florida on New Year’s Eve. He was joined at an optional morning skate by Tom Pyatt, Mathieu Darche and Alexandre Picard.

Michael Cammalleri also skated with strength and conditioning coach Pierre Allard.

The dressing room post-skate was even more empty than the Bell Centre rink. Using Malakhov, Kovalev & Latendresse, the specially-trained Habs Inside/Out dog team, Dave Stubbs fought his way through the blizzard and posts pre-game audio above.

1. punkster says:

You’re obviously wasting your managerial talents on here. Call 514-790-2525 and ask for Pierre Gauthier. While you’re at it see if he can get you a couple of tickets for me to the Rags game Saturday.

2. jimmy shaker says:

I’ve never seen either of their paws up close and personal, but I’ll probably go with Moe….. since he’s older, fights a bit more than tommy and goes home to the prairies and works at his parents farm as his off season vacation. They must look worse than pyatt’s for sure! Good question though.

3. TomNickle says:

My problem is that Cammalleri has shown less dedication to this team than Kostitsyn, and nothing’s been made of that.  There had better have been an injury we didn’t know about.

4. TomNickle says:

I suppose the coaches who were named in the lawsuit being ordered to write letters of apology for their remarks and treatment of that player due to his heritage aren’t evidence enough eh Robert. 😉

5. TomNickle says:

Andrei Kostitsyn today is a better hockey player than Mike Cammalleri.

6. SeriousFan09 says:

At his age, with those hands, a 30 goal season. That crazy to ask for? I can see the talent when he starts moving, handling the puck and starting up the ice but so often those scoring chances turn into nothing. He has all these incredible physical tools but he so rarely brings it all together… I can’t remember the last time he buried a goal from the left faceoff circle when he was fed the puck and staring at empty net. I don’t care if that’s his off side, Cammalleri can bury it from there by himself without blinking when he’s on.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

7. SeriousFan09 says:

Iginla scored 21, 13, 28, 29, 31 and then 52 goals in his first six NHL seasons in the Dead Puck Era, on a rather underwhelming Calgary Flames team. Don’t drag Iginla in, the guy has been one of the best power forwards of the last 15 years easily and never with the benefit of a center as good as Pleks or Gomez. St Louis was kept out because of his size, until he proved he was so fast and so committed to each game he played they couldn’t keep him out anymore and post-lockout let him really open up, same with the Sedins. Post-lockout hockey was meant to benefit the high-talent players who weren’t necessarily physical (like AK, he can hit but he doesn’t think like a PF) and it hasn’t.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

8. SeriousFan09 says:

He has the single worst decision making ability of anyone currently on the Habs roster.  And he proves it every game.

Now that is irrational dislike of Hamrlik, that title has belonged to AK46 for the last two seasons.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

9. TomNickle says:

Four officials were on the ice for both of our goals too, wanna give them credit?

10. SeriousFan09 says:

You can’t remember the last time Spacek sent the puck to the wrong jersey in the defensive zone? I can do with amazing clarity for a lot of games this season, they keep sticking in my head partly because they became goals. Spacek on the PK has been a nightmare at times since Gorges went down.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

11. MTLForever says:

hopefully Kristo has a speedy recovery from his frostbite.

12. Mattyleg says:

Yeah, Richer was the last, and Naslund was the last over 100pts.

He had 110 in 85-86!! Unreal.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

13. joeybarrie says:

I can’t get over Muller’s face when he was giving it to Subban.  He is scary.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

14. Mattyleg says:

Yeah, they certainly were.

I also think that 3rd and 4th liners get shipped around a hell of a lot these days, and don’t get to have as much influence on the team like those guys did.

I still remember seeing McPhee stickhandle a defenceman out of his garterbelt on a 1-on-1. A guy built like a brick shithouse with hands like that… and a guy willing to take as much punishment in the corners and in front of the net as Skrudland…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

15. Propwash says:

We definately exercise him, we chase him on the four wheeler, lol. Quinn (the dogs name) looooves it.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

16. andrewberkshire says:

Tom, in case you hadn’t noticed, Spacek has been on the left side for the last 20 straight games. He hasn’t been effective offensively at all. And last night on the first powerplay, Hamrlik held the zone several times and the Canadiens had puck possession for almost then entire 2 minutes.

17. Propwash says:

It’s amazing what you miss when you watch a game on tv.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

18. TomNickle says:

Not true, and you’re about to find out if Spacek stays on the left side.  Hamrlik can’t hold the offensive zone blue line.  First Powerplay last night ring any bells?

19. The Cat says:

Ive never seen JM smile, are you sure thats not whincing?

20. Say Ash says:

Every time the camera went over, all I saw was two bald Caps fans on the aisle, and then a fine Habs lady with black hair, and then a red Habs belly standing up. Was that you?

21. TomNickle says:

Hamrlik makes Spacek look like Lidstrom.

22. Rugger says:

Great observations that most of us do not get to see, thanks for posting.

23. TomNickle says:

Between the two of them, he’s got better hands.

24. TomNickle says:

He’s just better.  In every area other than board play.  And it’s pretty much that simple.

25. TomNickle says:

Pacioretty and Moen.  But unlike Skrudland and McPhee(who was my favourite player from his Hab days) Moen can’t score on an empty net.

26. shiram says:

Price with the Vezina, but not this year, unless Thomas starts failing epic style.

Plekanec, well he was not even at the all-star, so clearly he is not recognized in the league.

Subban might win a Norris, but it would not be any time soon.

The Cup is just too impredictable to guess.

27. SeriousFan09 says:

I’d rather he find a sucker to unload Spacek on, I still say Hamrlik’s been the better of the two this season.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

28. Willy the bum says:

Huskies? really? huh… interesting!

Sorry, I kept hearing about the 100 sled dogs murdered by some B.C.’s f***ing tourist business company and the picture of those cute huskies just reminded me of this recent news.

29. gohabsgo25 says:

it was a 2nd rounder plus we got that back in the lappy trade

30. christophor says:

Ah, right.

Thanks for the chat.

31. SeriousFan09 says:

Pretty much, but hopefully the team can sell him on taking the 1-year cash hit. Hopefully Markov is signed and they can use him to recruit him.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

32. rogus says:

Karri Ramo is property of the CH.

33. TomNickle says:

It would essentially be the same situation as Blake Wheeler.  I don’t know what compensation the Habs would get but they would likely receive a mid round pick.  He would be able to sign anywhere but his first deal would have restrictions on salary.

34. christophor says:

and he has to go through that first EL year if he’s to come over anytime before turning 27?

35. rogus says:

Auld? Great. There goes my sport select ticket! Might as well put Gorges or Markov in net.

36. Mark C says:

I get that, but even relative to the other D-men on his team he looked lost. Luca Sbisa, who was at about the same career point, looked much better. It isn’t surprise that he looked out of place, but he’s taken his game up to a legit NHL level this season.

37. andrewberkshire says:

That’s why I didn’t mention Weber.

38. blu3chip says:

Not as hard as being Price.

39. TomNickle says:

These trade rumours surrounding the Canadiens are funnier than normal in my opinion.  Weiss, Regehr, Phillips.  Weiss is really the only possibility in this group in my opinion.  The Habs aren’t likely to help Ottawa in their rebuilding effort, the Flames aren’t going to trade a key to their playoff hopes.  If Gauthier is going to give up prospects, which are exactly what sellers want, he’s going to make a play for a player of higher potential impact than complimentary players.  There really aren’t any players known to be available that fit the bill for high impact.  Brad Richards is one, but the Stars are working on extending him and he really doesn’t fit with this team.

40. Chris says:

No, Malakhov did not come over in that trade. Malakhov started in Long Island and came over with Pierre Turgeon for Kirk Muller, Mathieu Schneider and Craig Darby.

41. SeriousFan09 says:

Andrew, I keep looking for reasons to back Andrei but it gets harder every year. Guy’s got some of the best hands on the team but no sense of how to use them most of the time. If it’s not a straight-up play, he just tends to be in the wrong place. I don’t hate him, I always thought he got a raw deal from the media and being compared to the best draft class in two decades but for whatever reason, he can’t pull it all together and it’s become frustrating beyond measure to watch on some nights.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

42. andrewberkshire says:

Actually, that’s an irrational dislike of AK46.

43. TomNickle says:

Top 20 defensemen in the NHL?  Who’s irrational now?

Lidstrom, Keith, Seabrook, E.Johnson, E.Brewer, Weber, Suter, Doughty, J.Johnson, Vlasic, Boyle, Jovanovski, Robidas, Bieksa, Edler, Hamhuis, Ballard, Regehr, Giordano, Volchenkov, Pronger, Timonen, Mejszaros, Coburn, Carle, Martin, Michalek, Letang, Lydman, Tallinder, Byfuglien, Bogosian, Hainsey, Enstrom, Pitkanen, Burns, Barker, Carlson, Green, McCabe, Kulikov, Chara, Boychuk, Myers, Morrisonn, Phaneuf, Schenn, Beauchemin, Phillips, Markov, Subban, Spacek, Gill.

53 Defensemen in the NHL right there.  And I would gladly debate with you if you found one name on that list who is not a better defenseman than Hamrlik.  I could list many more too by the way, probably another 50-100.

Yeah, Hamrlik’s in the top 20 NHL defensemen and I’m the one being irrational.