Audio: Auld gets start vs old team

AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Jaroslav Spacek | Carey Price

Alex Auld will be betwen the pipes when the Canadiens face the Florida Panthers at the Bell Centre tonight.

Auld, a former goalie with the Panthers, has a lifetime 3-0-4 record against his old team, most recently allowing two goals on 22 shots in Montreal’s 3-2 win in Florida on New Year’s Eve. He was joined at an optional morning skate by Tom Pyatt, Mathieu Darche and Alexandre Picard.

Michael Cammalleri also skated with strength and conditioning coach Pierre Allard.

The dressing room post-skate was even more empty than the Bell Centre rink. Using Malakhov, Kovalev & Latendresse, the specially-trained Habs Inside/Out dog team, Dave Stubbs fought his way through the blizzard and posts pre-game audio above.

1. TomNickle says:

Moen by far.  Pyatt takes understandable heat for not being able to finish but he sits so much it isn’t fair to expect finish out of a guy seeing 5 minutes/game when he’s actually in the lineup.  Moen on the other hand gets ample ice time and has no excuse for missing open nets with regularity.  He’s warm, he’s ready to go, Pyatt is busy digging splinters out of his rear end.

2. TomNickle says:

These trade rumours surrounding the Canadiens are funnier than normal in my opinion.  Weiss, Regehr, Phillips.  Weiss is really the only possibility in this group in my opinion.  The Habs aren’t likely to help Ottawa in their rebuilding effort, the Flames aren’t going to trade a key to their playoff hopes.  If Gauthier is going to give up prospects, which are exactly what sellers want, he’s going to make a play for a player of higher potential impact than complimentary players.  There really aren’t any players known to be available that fit the bill for high impact.  Brad Richards is one, but the Stars are working on extending him and he really doesn’t fit with this team.

3. SeriousFan09 says:

Doubt it, Spacek’s been the weaker link this season. I could care less if he’s not playing his ‘natural side’, lack of playing natural side doesn’t explain the number of boneheaded passes he’s sent to the wrong-coloured jersey this season.

Spacek hasn’t had good games nearly enough times this season for me to get off his case.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

4. Chris says:

No, Malakhov did not come over in that trade. Malakhov started in Long Island and came over with Pierre Turgeon for Kirk Muller, Mathieu Schneider and Craig Darby.

5. TomNickle says:

If bone headed passes are criteria when evaluating these two players I can’t believe you’re giving the nod to Hamrlik in this category.  Spacek has more turnovers, but you can’t ignore playing on the wrong side.

When Spacek is on the right side, half of the ice is essentially taken away from him in terms of passing options, Hamrlik has the whole ice to see.  No comparison.

6. HabFanSince72 says:

Pyatt is busy digging splinters out of his rear end.

And there’s your answer. Pyatt has great hands.

7. Chuck says:

Cool name for the dog.  :)

8. SeriousFan09 says:

Andrew, I keep looking for reasons to back Andrei but it gets harder every year. Guy’s got some of the best hands on the team but no sense of how to use them most of the time. If it’s not a straight-up play, he just tends to be in the wrong place. I don’t hate him, I always thought he got a raw deal from the media and being compared to the best draft class in two decades but for whatever reason, he can’t pull it all together and it’s become frustrating beyond measure to watch on some nights.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

9. shiram says:

Sounds like an awesome night, the w doesnt hurt either. It’s always great to get an idea of whats going on the bench, so I thank you for that.

10. TomNickle says:

My husky is great, best animal I’ve ever had, I’m just saying that if you don’t have the time to exercise the dog sufficiently you’ll be in for a nightmare.

11. andrewberkshire says:

Actually, that’s an irrational dislike of AK46.

12. Rugger says:

Maybe we got the exception, but the one in my icon who just turned 10 is the most pleasant, calm dog (after his first 2 years).  He is happy to jump around and run, but also happy snoozing all day on his bed.  He has been blind since 3 or 4 so that may be part of his calmness, he had a genetic desease that effects Nordic breeds that attacks the pigment cells, eyes first, which had to be replaced with marbles then his coat turned all grey, but if you do not know he is blind you wouldn’t be able to tell.

13. joshua94k says:

Last night the three stars should have been:

1st Star Brian Gionta

2nd Star Brian Gionta

3rd Star Brian Gionta

That’s what leaders do, take responsibility in their own hands. They lead by example. Down 2-0, the Canadiens will no longer lose 3-0. This team does not give up!

14. TomNickle says:

Top 20 defensemen in the NHL?  Who’s irrational now?

Lidstrom, Keith, Seabrook, E.Johnson, E.Brewer, Weber, Suter, Doughty, J.Johnson, Vlasic, Boyle, Jovanovski, Robidas, Bieksa, Edler, Hamhuis, Ballard, Regehr, Giordano, Volchenkov, Pronger, Timonen, Mejszaros, Coburn, Carle, Martin, Michalek, Letang, Lydman, Tallinder, Byfuglien, Bogosian, Hainsey, Enstrom, Pitkanen, Burns, Barker, Carlson, Green, McCabe, Kulikov, Chara, Boychuk, Myers, Morrisonn, Phaneuf, Schenn, Beauchemin, Phillips, Markov, Subban, Spacek, Gill.

53 Defensemen in the NHL right there.  And I would gladly debate with you if you found one name on that list who is not a better defenseman than Hamrlik.  I could list many more too by the way, probably another 50-100.

Yeah, Hamrlik’s in the top 20 NHL defensemen and I’m the one being irrational.

15. PeterD says:

They have hands???

16. PeterD says:

I really like that Muller chews guys out he carries a lot of player experience and respect with the players…so I would think when he yells, players heed what he is saying…

17. Curtis O Habs says:

Pyatt.  Remember his breakaway early in Washington?  Fumble.

18. PeterD says:

Good post…LOL.
    Spacek and Hamr ARE almost 78 years old…
    MaxPac was probably the only guy tall enough to actually high 5 the kid…but good on him for treating the kid with respect..I like Maxpac too.
    Darche…what can I say, I love the guy and to hear he sits there beofre the games and soaks it all in is appropriate for a guy that I really believe never takes for granted even for a moment, his great good fortune to be playing in this game at the highest level. Wish him al lthe best for the rest of his career and a coaching role sometime down the road to help shape the attitude of young players coming up.
    Good to hear Count Choculla actually smiles and that it is not always gas build up…LOL

19. punkster says:

This stuff is excellent JB. However, you realize you’re bursting the bubbles of many, many “experts” here.

• Witnessing the JM talking and smiles alone is worth it, what with all the anti-JM trash about him not showing emotion, not talking to the players.
    • Muller chewing out PK…now that must have been priceless. And here we all thought only JM and Gomez had a problem dealing with PK ;)

***Subbang!!!***

20. TomNickle says:

Still in his mid-twenties.  St.Louis and Iginla didn’t get to their levels until around that time in their careers, a little later for St. Louis.  The Sedins were very much like Andrei Kostitsyn is now at that age.

Plenty of players don’t understand how to be consistent until their late twenties.

21. The Cat says:

Its a different time now, players arent as manly as Skrundland and McPhee anymore.

22. SeriousFan09 says:

I thought Hamrlik was worn down and out of his depth in the 2010 playoffs, I said so many times during the liveblogs then. However that is not the case right now, he’s doing a good job partaking in the defence by committee that JM has the Habs committed to right now and that’s how I’ve seen his play, nothing particularly great but nothing damning either.

I think Hamrlik for a 2nd straight season has done a solid job of trying to just fill in for Markov’s minutes, has he always been great? No but I have not seen anything this season to indicate that he’s been outplayed by Spacek and neither has the Canadiens coaching staff, hence why Hamrlik has been seeing more TOI than Spacek for this last stretch. I won’t be particularly sad if Hamrlik departs this summer, I will salute him for four solid years of service as a Canadien but at his age the team needs to look to younger men but If I was told I had the choice of either him or Spacek being the guy on for another year my choice would be Hamrlik each time.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

23. andrewberkshire says:

READ WHAT I SAID!!!  Your acting so irrationally that you aren’t even reading what I said. I said according to people who use statistics to actually measure performance of players, Roman Hamrlik is consistently listed in the top 20 DEFENSIVE defensemen in the NHL. As for those you listed, I would gladly take Hamrlik over Jovanovski, Ballard, Regher, Volchenkov, Mejszaros, Tallinder, Hainsey, Barker, McCabe, Boychuk, Morrisonn, Beauchemin, Philips and Spacek.

24. andrewberkshire says:

Hamrlik is leaps and bounds better than Spacek offensively.

25. TomNickle says:

Spacek struggled to start the year, that’s no secret.  He’s been bounced around more back there than any player I can remember on a Habs defense group.

Hamrlik is the worst defenseman on this team by a mile.  Stupid penalties, very much like one of our rookies, constant defensive zone turnovers, which is important.  I can’t remember the last time Spacek put the puck on the opposition’s stick in the defensive zone, but Hamrlik did it three times last night and has made a habit of it over the last three seasons.  When something bad happens involving this team, he’s more often than not the reason for it.

26. TomNickle says:

Nothing damning?  I find it funny that you notice Spacek turning the puck over but you don’t see Hamrlik doing it.  The numbers show they do it at a very similar rate.  Minor penalties are also very indicative of how effective they are in their own ends respectively.  As for last year when Hamrlik was filling those Markov minutes, he was doing things like giving the puck away on the powerplay that led to odd man rushes and goals against, he was busy running into whichever goalie we had in the net when the goalie had the puck under their gloves, he pushed them into the net at least three times in the last 20 games, one Sabres, one Canes, one Flyers.

27. joeybarrie says:

My wife was so happy with the W. She was praying the night didnt end in 3-0 for them. The come back was great too as it was on our side and I could see the goals perfectly. A good video of Ovie’s penalty shot and Price stoning him… THEN the whole team jumping up and on to the ice….Along with the tripple low five…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

28. Mattyleg says:

I haven’t seen enough from Pyatt, but Moen gets the ol’ “Stonehands!” treatment from me whenever he goes in on the PK with Plecky.

I’m sure it’ll make him a better player.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

29. andrewberkshire says:

If he was constantly in the wrong places, he wouldn’t have had 5 scoring chances last night, and done all the work to set up Gionta’s goal. There’s this irrational idea that no goals in a game for AK46 means he had a bad game, even getting a primary assist isn’t good enough for people. What do you expect? A hat trick every game?

30. TomNickle says:

Do these metrics take minor penalties into account?  Do they take into account the strength of the defensive partner?  The quality of opposition throughout the year?  Does it take bone headed plays into account?  Like running your own goalie through the net 3 times in a quarter season?

Are these people respected in the hockey world or just stat junkies who can get an article published by developing metrics that reward the average joe hockey player and have shock factor in ignoring some of the games’ best?

31. Rudy says:

I saw you and your wife during the warm up. You are so lucky, it was a great game.

“Start the season with a clean equipment bag and a freah bucket of febreze!”-CharlieHodgeFan

32. GrimJim says:

CBA appendix 5 – There are ten categories that could be used as criteria for performance bonuses an EL contract, with a maximum of $212,500 in each category (ie 10 goals min, 25 assists min, 40 points min, top 3 plus-minus for a d-man on the team, top 2 d-man in blocked shots, top 4 ice time for d-men , 0.49 ppg min…). There are also bonuses that can be written into the contract for performance that is in the top 10 on a league-wide basis. As well there are automatic league bonuses if the player wins an award. The bonuses could add up, Hedman has the potential to make 2.6 mil in bonuses in a year…

33. TomNickle says:

Andrew please!  Don’t insult my intelligence.  Hamrlik had nothing, absolutely nothing to do with either goal the Habs scored in regulation last night.  Pleks sprung Gionta on a breakaway and Kostitsyn made a hell of a play to get Gio the first one.

It’s not an irrational hatred by any means.  It’s evaluation of a player who can’t complete a 10 foot pass, can’t cover anyone in front of the net(he let Perreault in behind him with 3 minutes left in the game and Pleks had to drop to the crease to account for him), can’t hold the offensive zone blueline, can’t win a race for the puck, can’t keep it on his stick for more than two seconds without giving it away.  See what he did last night when he got the puck in front of the net in the first?  Fired it to the Capital who was down low in our corner instead of taking advantage of the Capitals having two players down low in our zone by either skating or moving the puck up the ice for an odd man rush.  He has the single worst decision making ability of anyone currently on the Habs roster.  And he proves it every game.

34. TomNickle says:

So where’s the big difference in Iginla’s early career goal totals Robert?  Nothing over 31 in his first five seasons is pretty damn similar to Andrei no?

St. Louis wasn’t kept out of the league because he was small, he was kept out of the league because he wasn’t ready.  Unless he happens to be of Jewish descent playing for the Ducks, there wasn’t a personal hatred for him that kept him out of the league.  If he didn’t have adequate strength, that’s as much of a short coming as inconsistency, which is Andrei’s problem.

This year Andrei has shown me a lot in terms of willingness to become defensively responsible and he’s understanding that his statistics need to come second behind being a good two way player.

35. Mattyleg says:

Hm?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

36. habsfan reduxit says:

… in order of their future occurence:

B

C

A

D

“Whenever you have the puck, and don’t know what to do with it, put it in the net.” – Toe Blake

37. andrewberkshire says:

For some reason you have an irrational hatred of Hamrlik, he makes mistakes about half as often as Spacek this season, and it was Hamrlik who was on for both goals for last night.

38. TomNickle says:

I don’t know what Hamrlik did to earn a pass with so many but good for him.

Since Gorges went down?  An example would be nice.

39. joeybarrie says:

I was looking around during the warm up and wondering which person you were… I somehow thought I would be able to tell… Then I realized how ridiculous I was, cause there were lot of people.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

40. TomNickle says:

I just love that the accusation of a personal dislike for Hamrlik somehow gives you guys some sort of validation that he’s a good hockey player.  Absolute garbage.  I don’t dislike a single player on this team.  But Hamrlik would be doing better service to this team as the #6 guy holding as little responsibility as possible.  He hasn’t been able to handle it for 24 months.

I don’t attack his character, I never say he doesn’t care, that he’s lazy or that he’s bad in the room or not a team first guy.  The claim that I have a personal distaste for him is unfounded and a sorry attempt at validating your own opinions of him.

If your only case for Hamrlik is that you think Spacek is worse, it only makes my point stronger.  I don’t bash other players on our team in support of Spacek, yet you do so with Hamrlik.  The only thing you’ve ever produced in support of Hamrlik is that he ate Markov’s minutes when injured.  A case of desperation is hardly grounds for a solid analysis of a players’ abilities.

41. LA Loyalist says:

Wow, what a fun time! You made it come to life, thank you!

It’s really interesting how different the games feel depending where you are sitting, though I’ve never been behind the bench like that.

P.S. Glad to see Gomez is busy getting his next gig lined up: Security Guard.

42. andrewberkshire says:

Perhaps not hatred Tom, but completely irrational. The way you talk about Hamrlik you would think he was by far the worst defenseman in the NHL, yet independant research by hockey experts put him in the top 20 defensive defensemen in the NHL year after year. You absolutely refuse to acknowledge anything that contradicts your blind dismissiveness of his talent. It’s a little ridiculous, almost as bad as SmartDog with Gomez.

43. christophor says:

Not just offensively, I think.

Spatch isn’t as bad as people make him out to be but there’s a reason Hammer’s been averaging about 6-7min more per game as of late (though, the TIO numbers for the whole season mask that).

44. habs001 says:

not easy being auld…you hardly get any real game action and when you do you have to win every game you play…

45. jimmy shaker says:

Yes, the really strong teams…..LOL!

Shaker

46. TomNickle says:

He also wouldn’t be doing such a good job defensively in terms of disrupting the other team on the rush.

47. TomNickle says:

Oh, and him being a healthy scratch this year while nothing’s been made of Cammalleri’s lack of commitment was sickening to this fan.

48. Mattyleg says:

Heh heh. With dogs like that, you’re sure to never get there, Dave.

Oh, and this pic brings to mind the comment by Danno (I think…) about Nabokov being as useful to a playoff team as a toy poodle in the iditerod.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

49. theremster says:

I hope Auld doesnt make us have to pull another comeback tonight. We need all the points we need. Perhaps a good idea to rest Price before we have to play the really strong teams.

50. HabsFanInTampa says:

Malakhov. What a disappointment he was! Wasn’t he one of the three bums we got for sending all-stars Patrick Roy and Mike Keane to The Colorado Nordiques? I forgot who the other two were, anyone want to refresh my memory?

51. jimmy shaker says:

I like Auld tonight, hope he can repeat Carey’s performance from last night. Good stats vs Florida, good home record for the habs, not so good road record for the panthers, both teams playing and travelling night before….all in all works out in JM’s favor I believe in playing the percentages and getting Auld a start. Hopefully he just gets more of them and brings Carey starts down in the 60 gamer range rather than the 70+ he’s on right now! Also, a good game for us to see Booth and Weiss, two potential guys that might be in a habs uni before the end of the month. Do you chaps like these players or what?

SHaker

52. WindsorHab-10 says:

Auld needs to redeem himself & prove to his team that he canget the job done. He’s on a short leash because we can’t afford a loss tonight.

53. HabsFanInTampa says:

Thanks Ash. In my opinion, probably the single worst trade in Hab’s history. The Chelios to Chicago for Savard trade a very close second (again my opinion).

54. Say Ash says:

Wrong Russian: Jocelyn Thibault, Martin Rucínsky, and Andrei Kovalenko

55. SeriousFan09 says:

Iginla had better goal and points production in a much more difficult scoring era, on a worse team, he’s not a comparable to AK IMO. St Louis did find it hard to break into the NHL because of his size, someone with his kind of numbers today, coming out of NCAA hockey would find 30 NHL teams bidding for his services and he wouldn’t get released to sign with Tampa. At the time, small and speedy in pre-lockout wasn’t impressive because of the clutch+grab nonsense that was so suffocating it was partially why Lemieux retired the first time, and he could score dragging a guy on his back end to end.

Also, there is still no real proof about what went on with that ANA situation, did you read the guy’s career stats? Underwhelming is a generous term for them. Maybe the coach didn’t like playing bad hockey players.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

56. Say Ash says:

And I was feeling so good thanks to last night’s win. Now, no so much. Let’s bring up more dark days, guys.

57. Chris says:

I actually think the Leclair, Desjardins and Dionne for Recchi deal was worse for the Habs than either of the deals you mentioned.

Chelios had to go for his off-ice antics, much like Sergei Kostitsyn later. Patrick Roy pretty much had to go for his on-ice antics. :)

58. Jocko says:

The Habs have made some doozies in my lifetime, but the Rod langway, doug jarvis, brian Engblom and another guy going to Washington for Walter and Green was the biggest doozy of them all!  There are many close seconds, including the Chelios trade, but that trade and not drafting Savard cost the Habs possibly two or three cups (1983, 1987, and 1989)

I don’t want to see Maurice tonight, I want to see The Rocket!

59. Danno says:

The dog on the left side of the picture sure has the fierce look of the Rocket in his eyes, don’t you think?

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

60. Danno says:

Good line, but I can’t take credit for that gem Mattyleg.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

61. observer says:

Even if they got Recchi, trading LeClair and Desjardins away ranks at no worse than 2nd worst trade in Habs history to the Chelios-Savard deal. The Ribeiro trade was another beaut that one by Gainey.

62. observer says:

Nabakov wants his job.

63. HabsFanInTampa says:

Damn, four superbad trades in just my lifetime. My effin’ head hurts! :)

64. HabsFanInTampa says:

Yeah, that one was bad too.

65. HabFanSince72 says:

The worst trade was the Roy trade. No other bad trade even comes close.

66. andrewberkshire says:

I believe James Mirtle is one of the most respected hockey journalists in Canada, and its his research to which I’m referring. And yes it takes quality of competition into account.

67. TomNickle says:

Pretty gutsy move, I wouldn’t count on Roloson holding up for another 5 months if they really think they have a serious shot at a deep playoff run.

That move could bit them in the rear end.

68. MTLForever says:

walking at campus and -33 with windchill

69. HabsFanInTampa says:

The Bolts just placed useless goaltender Mike Smith on waivers.

70. zak says:

The sucker you’re looking is a consultant with the habs.

71. TomNickle says:

They played well coming out of the Olympic break.  Very likely due to Markov being the only regular who played at the Olympics, the rest of the team got a lot of practice time in together, and it was much needed considering all of the new faces.

72. observer says:

If I recall correctly, didn’t Habs right after the all-star break come out flying? Winning 3 of 4 on the west coast with the only loss being a late game defeat by San Jose?

73. HabsFanInTampa says:

He’s probably going to share duties with Ex-Hab Ellis, that should make the 41 yr old Roloson stay fresh for the playoffs. They have this Desjardins guy in their farm system who is quite effectively good. I think they’re waiting for him to step in after this year.

74. TomNickle says:

The Predators had to ride Rinne into last year’s playoff so I wouldn’t be too enthusiastic about Ellis’ fixture in the net going forward.  Desjardins is a young goalie who can’t be counted on to win important games down the stretch.  Says quite a bit that they traded for Roloson and signed Ellis after having acquired Desjardins(if I remember correctly).

Fact is, before they got Roloson they were bleeding goals all over the place.  They couldn’t keep the puck out of their net before he got there.  Without him at his absolute best, they are last year’s Caps team without the quality of defensemen the Caps have or the physical presence.

75. shiram says:

Never fear! Cedric Desjardins is here! Or well they can call him up, if the need airses.