Audio: Auld gets start vs old team

AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Jaroslav Spacek | Carey Price

Alex Auld will be betwen the pipes when the Canadiens face the Florida Panthers at the Bell Centre tonight.

Auld, a former goalie with the Panthers, has a lifetime 3-0-4 record against his old team, most recently allowing two goals on 22 shots in Montreal’s 3-2 win in Florida on New Year’s Eve. He was joined at an optional morning skate by Tom Pyatt, Mathieu Darche and Alexandre Picard.

Michael Cammalleri also skated with strength and conditioning coach Pierre Allard.

The dressing room post-skate was even more empty than the Bell Centre rink. Using Malakhov, Kovalev & Latendresse, the specially-trained Habs Inside/Out dog team, Dave Stubbs fought his way through the blizzard and posts pre-game audio above.

1. TomNickle says:

Still in his mid-twenties.  St.Louis and Iginla didn’t get to their levels until around that time in their careers, a little later for St. Louis.  The Sedins were very much like Andrei Kostitsyn is now at that age.

Plenty of players don’t understand how to be consistent until their late twenties.

2. SeriousFan09 says:

I thought Hamrlik was worn down and out of his depth in the 2010 playoffs, I said so many times during the liveblogs then. However that is not the case right now, he’s doing a good job partaking in the defence by committee that JM has the Habs committed to right now and that’s how I’ve seen his play, nothing particularly great but nothing damning either.

I think Hamrlik for a 2nd straight season has done a solid job of trying to just fill in for Markov’s minutes, has he always been great? No but I have not seen anything this season to indicate that he’s been outplayed by Spacek and neither has the Canadiens coaching staff, hence why Hamrlik has been seeing more TOI than Spacek for this last stretch. I won’t be particularly sad if Hamrlik departs this summer, I will salute him for four solid years of service as a Canadien but at his age the team needs to look to younger men but If I was told I had the choice of either him or Spacek being the guy on for another year my choice would be Hamrlik each time.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

3. andrewberkshire says:

READ WHAT I SAID!!!  Your acting so irrationally that you aren’t even reading what I said. I said according to people who use statistics to actually measure performance of players, Roman Hamrlik is consistently listed in the top 20 DEFENSIVE defensemen in the NHL. As for those you listed, I would gladly take Hamrlik over Jovanovski, Ballard, Regher, Volchenkov, Mejszaros, Tallinder, Hainsey, Barker, McCabe, Boychuk, Morrisonn, Beauchemin, Philips and Spacek.

4. TomNickle says:

Nothing damning?  I find it funny that you notice Spacek turning the puck over but you don’t see Hamrlik doing it.  The numbers show they do it at a very similar rate.  Minor penalties are also very indicative of how effective they are in their own ends respectively.  As for last year when Hamrlik was filling those Markov minutes, he was doing things like giving the puck away on the powerplay that led to odd man rushes and goals against, he was busy running into whichever goalie we had in the net when the goalie had the puck under their gloves, he pushed them into the net at least three times in the last 20 games, one Sabres, one Canes, one Flyers.

5. andrewberkshire says:

If he was constantly in the wrong places, he wouldn’t have had 5 scoring chances last night, and done all the work to set up Gionta’s goal. There’s this irrational idea that no goals in a game for AK46 means he had a bad game, even getting a primary assist isn’t good enough for people. What do you expect? A hat trick every game?

6. TomNickle says:

Do these metrics take minor penalties into account?  Do they take into account the strength of the defensive partner?  The quality of opposition throughout the year?  Does it take bone headed plays into account?  Like running your own goalie through the net 3 times in a quarter season?

Are these people respected in the hockey world or just stat junkies who can get an article published by developing metrics that reward the average joe hockey player and have shock factor in ignoring some of the games’ best?

7. GrimJim says:

CBA appendix 5 – There are ten categories that could be used as criteria for performance bonuses an EL contract, with a maximum of $212,500 in each category (ie 10 goals min, 25 assists min, 40 points min, top 3 plus-minus for a d-man on the team, top 2 d-man in blocked shots, top 4 ice time for d-men , 0.49 ppg min…). There are also bonuses that can be written into the contract for performance that is in the top 10 on a league-wide basis. As well there are automatic league bonuses if the player wins an award. The bonuses could add up, Hedman has the potential to make 2.6 mil in bonuses in a year…

8. TomNickle says:

So where’s the big difference in Iginla’s early career goal totals Robert?  Nothing over 31 in his first five seasons is pretty damn similar to Andrei no?

St. Louis wasn’t kept out of the league because he was small, he was kept out of the league because he wasn’t ready.  Unless he happens to be of Jewish descent playing for the Ducks, there wasn’t a personal hatred for him that kept him out of the league.  If he didn’t have adequate strength, that’s as much of a short coming as inconsistency, which is Andrei’s problem.

This year Andrei has shown me a lot in terms of willingness to become defensively responsible and he’s understanding that his statistics need to come second behind being a good two way player.

9. TomNickle says:

He also wouldn’t be doing such a good job defensively in terms of disrupting the other team on the rush.

10. TomNickle says:

Oh, and him being a healthy scratch this year while nothing’s been made of Cammalleri’s lack of commitment was sickening to this fan.

11. SeriousFan09 says:

Iginla had better goal and points production in a much more difficult scoring era, on a worse team, he’s not a comparable to AK IMO. St Louis did find it hard to break into the NHL because of his size, someone with his kind of numbers today, coming out of NCAA hockey would find 30 NHL teams bidding for his services and he wouldn’t get released to sign with Tampa. At the time, small and speedy in pre-lockout wasn’t impressive because of the clutch+grab nonsense that was so suffocating it was partially why Lemieux retired the first time, and he could score dragging a guy on his back end to end.

Also, there is still no real proof about what went on with that ANA situation, did you read the guy’s career stats? Underwhelming is a generous term for them. Maybe the coach didn’t like playing bad hockey players.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

12. andrewberkshire says:

I believe James Mirtle is one of the most respected hockey journalists in Canada, and its his research to which I’m referring. And yes it takes quality of competition into account.

13. MTLForever says:

walking at campus and -33 with windchill

14. zak says:

The sucker you’re looking is a consultant with the habs.

15. kempie says:

That’s funny, a friend of mine has a very similar looking husky and his name is Awesome.

16. SeriousFan09 says:

Cammalleri is not exactly playing his best hockey this year and I’ll admit that freely, but when he’s ON he can bury a goal with the best of them. Andrei, by now he should be able to do something as simple as bury a goal from his ‘off’ side especially if he’s got open net to shoot at.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

17. TomNickle says:

Feel free to provide a link.

18. SeriousFan09 says:

I’ve had to apologize for things I didn’t do before.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

19. habsguy says:

anyone have a link to the game tonight?

20. MTLForever says:

atdhe.me

go to hockey and theres a link there

i forget the habs one

edit: http://habsonlinetv.blogspot.com/

21. joeybarrie says:

So we were behind the bench right next to where the players come out of the tunnel. My wife is a fine Habs lady with black hair, and there were bald Cap fans sitting right next to us. I am pretty skinny but I was wearing a sweater under my Habs Shirt and I was standing alot….

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

22. ManApart says:

Too settle the silly debates below. Pyatt and Moen are both terrible offensively. Both have no hands what so ever and need to be upgraded upon.

Hammer and Spacek Have both been excellent this season, as they were last. Without Markov, they have continully faced large minutes playing against the oppositions best, and have done a hell of a job considering. Both guys in the plus and Hammer has added some offense this year to help out. They keep the shot totals down and do a very nice job limiting second chances on Price. I really believe those two are the unsung heros so far.

Ak46 just doesn’t have the stuff to help this team get to the next level. They don’t have enough offense to compete against the top teams like Philly and Tampa and a big part of that is AK’s continually inconsistancies. For 5 years now. Gomez and Cammy have also been prety big disappointments also, especially Gomez (what else is new). I think It’s time for AK to go. That’s with the presumption the Habs can find someone better to replace him.

23. Jonson says:

gomez is terrible to watch….especially on the pp….time for the minors

24. Jonson says:

i have always found it looks more professional on tv

25. LA Loyalist says:

Wow, what a fun time! You made it come to life, thank you!

It’s really interesting how different the games feel depending where you are sitting, though I’ve never been behind the bench like that.

P.S. Glad to see Gomez is busy getting his next gig lined up: Security Guard.

26. habs365 says:

if inconsistancies is a problem..I think it’s time to rid 3/4 of the team..that’s why we’re winning or losing games 2-1..3-2 they’re all inconsistant.

27. Mr. Biter says:

I can’t remember if you posted the atdhe.me earlier today but thank you if it was you. Watched the game in Wisconsin Dells (caught in yesterday’s blizzard) and the site worked great. Good game to win but the PP is really hurting. Just as a side note it’s kinda sad that of the 6 canadian teams teams in the NHL us and the canucks are in the top 10 and the other 4 are in the buttom 6 (even if one is the laffs). everyone is on the same cap so the G.M. of the U.S. based teams that much better (even if they probably are Canadian). Bring back MAB.

28. habs001 says:

not easy being auld…you hardly get any real game action and when you do you have to win every game you play…

29. jimmy shaker says:

Yes, the really strong teams…..LOL!

Shaker

30. Mattyleg says:

Heh heh. With dogs like that, you’re sure to never get there, Dave.

Oh, and this pic brings to mind the comment by Danno (I think…) about Nabokov being as useful to a playoff team as a toy poodle in the iditerod.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

31. theremster says:

I hope Auld doesnt make us have to pull another comeback tonight. We need all the points we need. Perhaps a good idea to rest Price before we have to play the really strong teams.

32. HabsFanInTampa says:

Malakhov. What a disappointment he was! Wasn’t he one of the three bums we got for sending all-stars Patrick Roy and Mike Keane to The Colorado Nordiques? I forgot who the other two were, anyone want to refresh my memory?

33. jimmy shaker says:

I like Auld tonight, hope he can repeat Carey’s performance from last night. Good stats vs Florida, good home record for the habs, not so good road record for the panthers, both teams playing and travelling night before….all in all works out in JM’s favor I believe in playing the percentages and getting Auld a start. Hopefully he just gets more of them and brings Carey starts down in the 60 gamer range rather than the 70+ he’s on right now! Also, a good game for us to see Booth and Weiss, two potential guys that might be in a habs uni before the end of the month. Do you chaps like these players or what?

SHaker

34. WindsorHab-10 says:

Auld needs to redeem himself & prove to his team that he canget the job done. He’s on a short leash because we can’t afford a loss tonight.

35. HabsFanInTampa says:

Thanks Ash. In my opinion, probably the single worst trade in Hab’s history. The Chelios to Chicago for Savard trade a very close second (again my opinion).

36. Say Ash says:

Wrong Russian: Jocelyn Thibault, Martin Rucínsky, and Andrei Kovalenko

37. Say Ash says:

And I was feeling so good thanks to last night’s win. Now, no so much. Let’s bring up more dark days, guys.

38. Chris says:

I actually think the Leclair, Desjardins and Dionne for Recchi deal was worse for the Habs than either of the deals you mentioned.

Chelios had to go for his off-ice antics, much like Sergei Kostitsyn later. Patrick Roy pretty much had to go for his on-ice antics. :)

39. Jocko says:

The Habs have made some doozies in my lifetime, but the Rod langway, doug jarvis, brian Engblom and another guy going to Washington for Walter and Green was the biggest doozy of them all!  There are many close seconds, including the Chelios trade, but that trade and not drafting Savard cost the Habs possibly two or three cups (1983, 1987, and 1989)

I don’t want to see Maurice tonight, I want to see The Rocket!

40. Danno says:

The dog on the left side of the picture sure has the fierce look of the Rocket in his eyes, don’t you think?

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

41. Danno says:

Good line, but I can’t take credit for that gem Mattyleg.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

42. observer says:

Even if they got Recchi, trading LeClair and Desjardins away ranks at no worse than 2nd worst trade in Habs history to the Chelios-Savard deal. The Ribeiro trade was another beaut that one by Gainey.

43. observer says:

Nabakov wants his job.

44. HabsFanInTampa says:

Damn, four superbad trades in just my lifetime. My effin’ head hurts! :)

45. HabsFanInTampa says:

Yeah, that one was bad too.

46. HabFanSince72 says:

The worst trade was the Roy trade. No other bad trade even comes close.

47. TomNickle says:

Pretty gutsy move, I wouldn’t count on Roloson holding up for another 5 months if they really think they have a serious shot at a deep playoff run.

That move could bit them in the rear end.

48. HabsFanInTampa says:

The Bolts just placed useless goaltender Mike Smith on waivers.

49. TomNickle says:

They played well coming out of the Olympic break.  Very likely due to Markov being the only regular who played at the Olympics, the rest of the team got a lot of practice time in together, and it was much needed considering all of the new faces.

50. observer says:

If I recall correctly, didn’t Habs right after the all-star break come out flying? Winning 3 of 4 on the west coast with the only loss being a late game defeat by San Jose?

51. HabsFanInTampa says:

He’s probably going to share duties with Ex-Hab Ellis, that should make the 41 yr old Roloson stay fresh for the playoffs. They have this Desjardins guy in their farm system who is quite effectively good. I think they’re waiting for him to step in after this year.

52. TomNickle says:

The Predators had to ride Rinne into last year’s playoff so I wouldn’t be too enthusiastic about Ellis’ fixture in the net going forward.  Desjardins is a young goalie who can’t be counted on to win important games down the stretch.  Says quite a bit that they traded for Roloson and signed Ellis after having acquired Desjardins(if I remember correctly).

Fact is, before they got Roloson they were bleeding goals all over the place.  They couldn’t keep the puck out of their net before he got there.  Without him at his absolute best, they are last year’s Caps team without the quality of defensemen the Caps have or the physical presence.

53. shiram says:

Never fear! Cedric Desjardins is here! Or well they can call him up, if the need airses.

54. blu3chip says:

Roloson is their #1, Ellis is strictly a backup.

Karri Ramo has a greater chance of getting (back) into NHL than Desjardins, who is likely to be a career AHLer.

55. J_P says:

Phillips could be had for a pick, so i would hardly call it helping ottawa with their rebuild.

and Weiss? I dont think the habs should go after weiss.  Habs should try to swing a deal with columbus for Umberger.  Now that’s a player the habs could use who could actually be obtainable.

56. MTLForever says:

quality of defensemen caps have? haha.

57. TomNickle says:

I’d rather have Green, Schultz, Carlson, Alzner, Morrison and Erskine than Hedman, Clark, Kubina, Jones, Lundin, Ohlund and Smaby.

And so would 29 general managers in the NHL.

58. andrewberkshire says:

Uh, Plekanec was the Czech Republic’s 1st line center.

59. ZepFan2 says:

How quickly Jaroslav Halak is forgotten.

He was in nets for the Slovaks.

———————————————————————— “Young people have seen that a team can play electrifying, fascinating hockey while still behaving like gentlemen.” ~Serge Savard~

60. TomNickle says:

Duh, my bad.  Two players.  And Weber doesn’t count.

61. TomNickle says:

Giving the Senators a pick is helping in their rebuilding effort.  If you give them a second they could turn it into a player the caliber of Subban, Plekanec or several others that could make our lives miserable for a decade.

I don’t think this team should make another trade at all.  I think they should stand pat and see where they end up.  I’d rather not give anything up for something that very likely can’t be used beyond this season.  And I wouldn’t like having to part ways with an important player from this year’s team to make room for somebody that could be acquired through trade(which means giving up something you have now and losing something you have later to keep one piece).

If they do make a trade, it should be for a significant piece that can help long term, not a band aid.

62. fbkj says:

only in hindsight, at the time recchi was tearing up the league

pundits called it a habs win as leclair was meant to be a depth player for philly, desjardins being the centerpiece… nobody saw leclair being the true gem out of that trade

63. Say Ash says:

Sergei Kostitsyn, ahem.

64. TomNickle says:

Halak wasn’t essential to the team gaining chemistry.  I wouldn’t have included Price in that if he’d played for Team Canada.

65. TomNickle says:

I wouldn’t have a problem with him trading prospects at this point.  Ben Maxwell has no future with this team because he’ll be toiling with the Bulldogs until Gomez’s contract expires.  Mathieu Carle has no future with this team either.  Not with Subban and Weber slotted in for roles on our blue line next season.  There’s no way all three of those guys are counted on as regulars, Morgan Ellis very likely fits into the teams’ plans more than Carle does.  I don’t see any problem in trading the rights to Ramo or Trotter.  I wouldn’t see a big issue trading Yemelin’s rights(even though I don’t want that to happen).

66. habsfan reduxit says:

… any of them should appear fierce, now that sled dogs in Canada have become an endangered species. [see http://bit.ly/egvyXC

“Whenever you have the puck, and don’t know what to do with it, put it in the net.” – Toe Blake

67. TomNickle says:

Regular.  he played a half season last year.

68. PrimeTime says:

Didnt we give 2 picks to NYI for the Wiz?? I don’t think, I hope, PG won’t be handing out anymore before the trade deadline. Maybe player for player; salary for salary with PG having a little room to take on some extra. I don’t expect anything major in regards to adding anything but maybe some depth on D.

69. Mark C says:

Weber’s play sure has come a long way since then, he was horrid in the Olympics.

70. Say Ash says:

I know, just buggin’. And “playing” half the season is a generous assessment, no?

71. JF says:

Plekanec, Halak.

72. TomNickle says:

I didn’t put much value in his Olympic struggles.  There aren’t many defensemen in the NHL who would look good up against lines like Crosby, Iginla, Nash – Backstrom, Sedin, Sedin – Pavelski, Parise, Ryan – Datsyuk, Ovehckin, Kovalchuk.  See what I’m saying?

73. SeriousFan09 says:

Maxwell this season has undone himself more than anything, poor offensive output for a guy who should be trying to make the Canadiens. Brendon Nash I’d say is the guy that’s now made Carle irrelevant. Taller, more durable and possesses an excellent instinct for positional play. Agree with Ramo or Trotter’s rights should be considered tools in bargaining, but I’d rather wait to the summer to see their rights dealt with Ramo likely only building on his outstanding season and Trotter finally getting going in the KHL. I still the team should avoid making too many bold moves this season unless they’re for longer-term solutions than just this year’s playoff run.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.