Audio: Ailing Spacek to miss Game 5

AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Michael Cammalleri | Brian Gionta | Josh Gorges

Pressure-off approach for Habs in do-or-die: Hickey

Still troubled by a stubborn virus, defenceman Jaroslav Spacek did
not take this afternoon’s charter flight to Washington for Friday’s Game
5 in the Canadiens-Capitals Eastern quarterfinal.

Head coach
Jacques Martin said it’s GM Pierre Gauthier’s decision as to whether the
team dips into the Hamilton Bulldogs with its final callup of the
season to import, say, P.K. Subban to give the six-man blueline some
depth, but late this afternoon the Canadiens said that no roster moves
were imminent.

On Wednesday, Subban scored two goals for the Bulldogs, including the winner in double overtime, to lift his team to a 3-1 first-round AHL playoff series lead over the Manitoba Moose.

Stubbs’s Canadiens notebook is below:

The Gazette

The six defencemen used by the Canadiens Wednesday in Montreal should see action again Friday in Game 5 with an ailing Jaroslav Spacek not having made Thursday’s trip to Washington.

Spacek, suffering from a virus, missed Game 4 and after meeting a team doctor Thursday afternoon was held back from the trip.

Canadiens head coach Jacques Martin was asked at his daily briefing at noon in Brossard whether he might call up a blueline reinforcement from the Hamilton Bulldogs, say, the highly touted P.K. Subban.

“That’s a decision of management,” Martin said, volleying the ball into the court of general manager Pierre Gauthier.

The team said late Thursday afternoon from Washington that there were no roster moves on the horizon.

The Canadiens have one farm recall left until the playoff elimination of the Bulldogs, who are nowhere near that. Hamilton leads the Manitoba Moose 3-1 in their first-round AHL playoff series.

Subban scored twice Wednesday night in Winnipeg, including the winner in double overtime.

Sixteen times in their history have the Canadiens faced a 3-1 playoff deficit in a best-of-seven series. Only once have they rallied to win, that coming vs. Boston in the 2004 Eastern quarterfinals.

The NHL confirmed Thursday that there will no further discipline for goaltender Carey Price, who tapped Washington’s Nicklas Backstrom from the bench with his stick after the latter had scored the Capitals’ sixth and final goal with 11 seconds remaining in Game 4.

Price was assessed his second unsportsmanlike-conduct penalty of the period for that gesture, Backstrom having scored into an empty Montreal net. The frustrated goalie had been penalized after the Capitals’ fourth goal for firing a puck into a crowd of players celebrating in the corner, striking one in the seat of the pants.

“You need to have emotion, it’s really important to play with it in a game at a high level,” Martin said Thursday. “At the same time, you have to have controlled emotion. I know that (Price) cares. He’s made some progress through the year. It might not have shown statistically, but I think he’s grown as an individual and a goaltender.”

Said forward Michael Cammalleri: “I’ve said it all year, I love Carey’s passion. There’s nothing better than when he shows it.”

Cammalleri made a point of sending a message to those fans in the Bell Centre who have booed the U.S. national anthem, just in case there is a Game 6 on Monday.

“I would say that we really appreciate our fans and the respect they show us,” he said. “But I don’t think it’s right that we boo anthems. We should be a little bit more respectful.”

Brian Gionta laughed Thursday about his Game 4 rumble with Washington’s Tom Poti, who already has dropped his gloves this series with Canadiens centre Scott Gomez.

“Once you do it, you’ve got to commit to it,” Gionta said of the wrestling match that went unpenalized. “It was the fourth game. Things start boiling over after playing the same guys for a long time. That’s the fun of the playoffs. You build that kind of hatred for the other team.”

Gionta acquitted himself well, finally bulldogging Poti like a rodeo cowboy. Even more impressive: he gave away eight inches and 24 pounds.

The Canadiens held a team meeting Thursday, choosing not to practice before chartering to Washington.

“We went over some stuff, some of the obvious and some good things we did,” Mike Cammalleri said. “There were a lot of positives that came out of (Game 4), for sure.”

The Canadiens were mostly excellent through the first 39:53, yielding a shorthanded equalizer with 6.3 seconds left in the second period. They were swarmed by the Capitals in the third, outshot 20-6 and outscored 4-1.

About frustration being felt by the Canadiens, who now are on the brink, he said, “You don’t avoid it, you accept it. You appreciate what it is. You don’t fight it, you acknowledge it and do your best to move forward in a productive manner.

“You think, ‘OK, we’re frustrated. Good. We’ve got a little bit of fire in our belly. Let’s go play a game where we don’t have to be frustated.’ ”

1. ooder says:

It’s not even fair how dominant him and Malkin are

“I like what I’m seeing right now,” assessed Markov. “We’re not perfect, but we’re trying to be.”

2. HabsBlogger says:

Questions: Why do the bulldogs keep doing so good but the habs get nowhere?/p>

3. HabsBlogger says:

Questions: Why do the bulldogs keep doing so good but the habs get nowhere?/p>

4. ooder says:

Malkin started it Crosby finished it

these two are so dominant

5. SeriousFan09 says:

I don’t think Sidney F. Crosby will be sufficient to describe what Ottawa fans will think of him from now on.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

6. zozotheclown says:

Bringing up Subban is a bit silly at this point, he’s rocking the AHL playoffs so let him get his experience there, no point bringing him up for one game. The guy isn’t a god either, he’s not going to be able to single handedley turn us into a team that beats the Caps 3 times in a row. I’m very much looking forward to having an exiting player like him to watch next year though, I just hope we don’t turn him to some defensive defencemen.

7. wmarcello says:

Don’t you mean he’s putting in a Martin Brodeur performance?

8. SeriousFan09 says:

I agree, his scoring twice last night including the double OT winner to win the game against Manitoba and give the Dogs a stranglehold in their series? He’s got 6 points in 4 games so far, his playing with Hamilton right now is a fantastic opportunity for him to be ‘the guy’ but without it all riding on him since Boucher has a well-organized team that provides balanced offence and defence.

We call him up now, we’re basically saying we’re out of options and we have to bet that this kid can save our skins, it’s not good for anyone except guys who can print Subban t-shirts on short notice.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

9. wmarcello says:

Wow, I hope you’re in a playoff pool. Impressive! I’m glad I didn’t enter one… my picks are getting thrashed around.

So… Philly built for the playoffs? I understand that on most levels, but did you peg Boucher to play this well?

10. Bill J says:

Yes IT DOES IAN!!!

Without trying to be rude here Ian.  Have you been watching Hockey lately ?

the League is littered with 18, 19, 20 & 21 year olds who are carrying teams on their shoulders.

ONE Game would NOT hurt Subban’s progression in ANY way other then Martin speaking to him.

We need a offensive D-man…. HE’s freely available to the Habs to use.

WHY NOT ???

11. showey47 says:

so does captain lou get axed by the devils after 6 or 7 years of getting no further then the 2nd round? Trading away picks and prospects for ufa’s to only lose in the first round and losing about 8 ufa’s for nothing this upcoming summer? Imagine that,this doesn’t only happen in montreal. if the sabres get eliminated tomorrow,they are pretty much in the same situation,except they miss the playoffs 5 times in the last 8 years. But other then that i’m sure lindy ruff is a great coach.

RICH, he is no Bobby Orr, YET! But I assure you he will get there.!

13. Mr.Hazard says:

Well maybe, if we are eliminated in 5 games by a much higher seed, we can take comfort in the fact that NJ was also eliminated in 5 games, but by a much lower seed! Brodeur’s SV% is only .886 in these playoffs, and looks like it will lower even more by the end of the night (12 saves on 15 shots).

“love cannot drown truth, Nefertiti”

14. Bill J says:

Ian I did not ask how well you knew him.  Congrats.  I was not talking about how well you know him, it does not make you a better expert as to what is “denied” from PK.

Which Ian WAS what my reply was about no ?

I personally am not concerned about PK playing ONE game for the Habs – to bring em back to Montreal.  He can then return to Hamilton, pumped and continue on his Calder cup way.

I am more concerned & this is where you would have a better & a more legitimate concern … Allowing Martin to even talk to PK another time.

Boucher IS the key to Hamilton’s success NOT PK alone.

They can live without PK for one game, the question is – do we want Martin to have anymore negative influence on PK ?

Bill, he is a 20 year old kid leading a pro team to a possible championship. What in the world do you think he is going to do here for one game.? Win it for us? Hockey does not work like that my friend.!!!

16. SeriousFan09 says:

I think Varlamov is displaying a bit of what he showed last playoff stretch, if he can maintain that, he’ll outmatch Boucher and if it comes down to who’s more likely to execute on scoring chances, especially with Carter and Gagne out, Flyers are in serious trouble.

JM’s strategy was generally to have Spacek shadow Ovechkin, but that was his only strategy was the issue, no Spaceman, Great 8 gets to run around. Flyers may want to try and shut Ovie down, but they’ve not done that well on that count in the regular season this year and whether or not their personnel are up to it remains to be seen. He’s still one of the 2 best players in the NHL on anyone’s list so it’s hard to say whether or not he can be shut down by their men. He’s only been getting better in his last 3 games so a warmed-up Ovechkin against a weak goalie is a pretty risky venture for them.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

17. Exit716 says:

Just because PK Subban is good with the media, doesn’t mean he’s the next Bobby Orr.

Let’s have a little realism here.

I know him very well my friend, we have spent time together over the past 5 years. Believe me when I tell you that the best thing for him is to finish leading his team in Hamilton. Lots of time for us to enjoy his game starting next camp.

19. WindsorHab-10 says:

Calling up Suban would be a huge mistake because  he doesn’t need to be exposed to this mess we are in. We are not going to win tomorrow night nor are we beating the Caps. Major changes need to take place a.s.a.p with the first move ditching the coaching staff, scouts & GM on Saturday.

20. Bill J says:

They already have the best Head Coach in the organization.  They can’t live without PK for one game ?

21. TripleX says:

You are missing the point dude.  As far as Boivan and Geoff Molson are concerned the season has been a great success.  TWO HOME playoff games = 4 million plus dollars in profit.  That is their Stanley Cup.

22. TripleX says:

I think the Caps goaltending is suspect as well.  The Habs just make every goalie resemble George Vezina.  I will be interested to see what happens when the Flyers crash and crowd the net.

Since his debut in NA in the WJHC  it is common knowledge that the key to stopping Ovy is PHYSICAL INTIMIDATION.  Look for the Flyers to do what JM is either to dumbass or reluctant to do.  That is shadow Ovy and hit him whenever he has the puck.  Why JM has yet to come up with a discernible strategy to neutralize Ovy is beyond me.

23. Bill J says:

Ian – there are always two sides to the coin.

Would you deny PK the chance to be the game changer for the team tattooed on his heart ?

He LOVES the Habs as most if not all of us know.  He has likely dreamt of scoring the Stanley Cup winning goal for the Habs.

You would deny him that my friend ?

They also owe the fans in Hamilton that supported the team all year. Let the kid get in his time to develop. To many careers have been destroyed by not bringing players along properly.

25. wmarcello says:

I agree. I don’t want to ruin his development either, but really… just 1 game while Spacek is out sick? How much could it possibly hurt? If it would help the team, why not?

He is the one that will lose, the experience of going deep into the play offs with his team mates in the A. You would deny him that my friend?

27. mb says:

All I mean is that you can’t just say that the anglophones in the upper section are “visitors” and they don’t boo.  Just like you can not say that “immigrants” don’t boo while french people do.  I know that there are more francophones in the upper section, because there are generally more francophones in the stands… period.

But please don’t claim that booers are french just because the majority of the people in the upper stands are not anglophones.  That is what I disagree with at the first place.

I know you didn’t mean to disrespect francophone or quebecois, all I’m telling you is that everything is proportional and that because the boos come from the upper stands doesn’t mean that only fancophones act like a$$-holes during the anthems.

28. Will Longlade says:

I completely agree. Sometimes I think the Habs are too conservative for their own good. They should ice the best team possible & they owe that to their fan base.

29. SeriousFan09 says:

The Devils have also thrown away a ton of PP opportunities in their series that I doubt the Capitals would waste, best PP in the NHL with their arsenal and the Flyers lack of discipline always kills them sooner or later. Washington also upgraded their grit as it were when they added ex-Flyer Knuble, then got guys like Walker and Belanger, who is some kind of faceoff wizard. John Carlson has given them a serious defensive upgrade as well it seems.

Flyers are riding B grade, maybe even C goaltending into the Playoffs again, Capitals will blow him out of nets if given the opportunity.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

There are ignorance both sides of the border. Some have no clue for example, that we are both fighting a war together.

These are some of the scum that our boys are dieing for!!

31. likehoy says:

just cause we have nothing to lose tomorrow doesn’t mean we have nothing to lose in the future.

I think it would serve subban well not to break him out of his focus on helping the Bulldogs win the Calder Cup.

if we delude him with our loss for nothing as some sort of saviour to our team at this point of our season then he may become too big headed to compete down in the AHL where learning to win is more important than learning to lose in the NHL.

that’s the problem with us fans, we believe every prospect is going to come up here and light up the world. we have to bring along prospects slowly and let tem integrate into the team as part of the team, and not as a saviour of any sort.

– Habs Romance (Lady Gaga remix)

32. TripleX says:

Really?  I think the Flyers will shutdown that Caps offense with size, grit and mean intentions.  Something the Habs lack in all aspects.

33. HabFanSince72 says:

Players have missed an entire season because of mononucleosis.

There are many other viruses that can be  serious.

Even if not serious some can cause significant shortness of breath and fatigue.

34. TripleX says:

I picked Philly to win that series as they are built for the playoffs and the Devils rely so much on Marty and he has been shaky.

I also picked Bruins over Sabres because they are a one trick pony as well with Miller and all the pressure was on them.

My other upset was the Sharks but that is not really an upset is it?

35. Bill J says:

To be fair… While I agree Boucher is playing incredibly…

The comparison makes more sense to Ken Dryden….  IE Dryden didn’t face many shots, but they where good if not spectacular saves nonetheless.

36. HabFanSince72 says:

People will always complain.

They complained about Scotty Bowman.

37. wmarcello says:

I haven’t either, but I’m sure it’s happened. People can actually die from the flu in the worst cases, and in normal cases the person is miserable and bedridden for days. I don’t think it’s a stretch to think that the flu could make an athlete not perform up to elite NHL standards.

38. Jbird says:

The loudest booing incident at the Bell Centre  that I remember was at the height of the Bush Administration (2003 I think it was) – that had something to do with politics – I think less idiotic and less brash people simply do not stand for the anthem.

39. ed lopaz says:

I said “almost” all French. Your statement does not ruin my scientific data because you sat next to 2 anglos.

How many people were in your section? 100+

How many would you say were francophone – based on the language spoken around you ?

Come on!

I live in Montreal – I have brought up my kids here – I have the most respect for everything quebecois.

I meant no disrespect to you or any francophone.

40. SeriousFan09 says:

If we had Giroux, everyone would complain he’s another smurf anyway.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

41. nickster13 says:

We really should bring up PK, like honestly what have we got to lose, at the very least its a failed experiment and then he resumes his play in hamilton, or at the most he would be all fired up and maybe be that spark we need especially on the PP. We really should and anyone who thinks otherwise is just thinking he will be ruined somehow or he needs his hamilton time. There is absolutely nothing to lose at this stage

42. SeriousFan09 says:

Losing their Norris defencemen killed them for post-season strength, no team in the last decade aside from Carolina in 2006 won a Cup without a Top 10 NHL defencemen on their roster.

2 Simple Rules for Playoff success on Defence/Goaltending:

– Your goalie plays less than 70 Games

– Top 10 NHL Defencemen on your roster

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

43. HabFanSince72 says:

Are you watching the game? He’s making incredible saves.

Now 3-0 Philly.

Giroux has 2 goals and an assist.

Giroux was picked after David Fischer in 2006.

44. SeriousFan09 says:

If Washington eliminates us, they’ll need to change the red bulbs behind the Flyers net when they face off.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

45. andrewberkshire says:

Agree with you there Bryan! As much as people laud Lou in NJ for being such a great GM, the Devils have been settling into mediocrity quite nicely since the lockout. And when Brodeur retires they’ll be even worse.

46. mb says:

Oh no!  Then I must be one crazy person ’cause I’ve been at game 3 on monday night, I sat in the upper section and guess what… The two people standing RIGHT beside of me were anglophones!  That being said, I sure hope I did not ruin all your scientific statistics about the franco/aglo ratio in the stands.

(Btw, I’m french, and I didn’t boo, as opposed to the same two people mentioned before, who thought that shouting “go habs go’s” during the U.S. anthem was cool.)

Seriously, the language that people speak doesn’t determine wether they boo an anthem or not.  People who boo are idiots, that’s it.

Please don’t see my post as a sign of disrespect, I just really don’t think you should make statements like that without any proof.

47. andrewberkshire says:

He’s stopped 13 shots through nearly 2 periods. I wouldn’t be rolling out the Patrick Roy comparisons.

48. Bryan says:

I’d much rather be in our position (underdog losing 3-1) than Jersey’s (#2 seed getting dominated 3-1)

The Habs are making me Bi-Polar.

49. SeriousFan09 says:

In the playoffs, a skate blade embedded in your skull can be termed an upper-body injury.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

50. newbrunswick troy says:

Ya ..i guess i can see your point on J.M…

But as we have seen with so many teams …coaching is only  what maybe 30%..propper personel for teams philosiphy maybe 60%  and praying to God that the players are healthy and willing to work asses off . well thats for sure the other 10%

51. HabFanSince72 says:

Brian Boucher is putting in a Patrick Roy performance tonight.

How the hell did that happen?

52. ed lopaz says:

in 40 years of following hockey this is the first time I have heard of a veteran missing a playoff game for a virus.

I would say that this is quite a serious ailment that is being covered up.

Spacek has something wrong with him – I think it might be something more serious than they are letting on.

53. gp52 says:

yeah but there are alot of idiots in quebec

54. wmarcello says:

Well you can take the article however you want of course. I’m sure some of it is crap, and some of it is probably true. The fact that it’s a topic that people find worthy of research and study perhaps says something though.

55. ed lopaz says:

I did not mean to insult you in any way.

look – have you ever been to the bell center?

i’ve been to many games and i’ve sat up top most of the time

I know the crowd up there.

montreal is not like toronto.

upstairs is almost all french.

56. wmarcello says:

I just don’t see how we win tomorrow without Spacek. Our D is stretched too thin.

Gill and Gorges could possibly have another stellar game and shut down Ovi’s line, but it’s a tall task on any night.

You can’t pair Hammer and MAB because as we saw last night, even against the 4th line that results in ugly goals against. That means it’s back to Markov and MAB against 2nd line players. The Caps have learned to pressure MAB’s side almost exclusively in this situation (just as they did with Hammer’s side when with Spacek) to break the D down and create chances.

That leaves Hammer and OB as the 3rd pairing. Without the last change, JM is going to have his hands full keeping Hammer away from any scoring lines.

57. Off-side says:

Ed, my God! How can you say that?  Did you conduct a poll?  Or maybe you guessed who was Anglophone/Francophone just by looking at them?  By immigrant, I mean someone who has immigrated to Canada.  What do you think I mean?  If you immigrate from India, you are Canadian, but not Francophone or Anglophone.  Follow me?

58. kempie says:

it’s not a quebec thing, it’s an idiot thing

59. Off-side says:

I just read the article and think it’s crap.  To infer that the Quebecois are anti-American or anti-military based on the fact that we protest more than the rest of Canada (based on the # of protestors)?  How about that there are more anti-war protestors in California than Texas, does this make Californians anti-Americans.  Strange conclusions.

60. ed lopaz says:

I don’t think so. How do you know that? I would say that more than 90 per cent of the crowd “upstairs” are Francophone.

The Anglophones who sit in the upper section are usaully young guys from out of town – many rimes supporters of the visiting team

Immigrants??? not sure what you mean by that, at all. I have never seen “immigrants” sitting in the upper section who would be booing.

Chretien used to say that:

61. SeriousFan09 says:

A. I can’t behind JM because while the team has come together later in the year, I think that has more to do with familiarity than JM’s work. The kids aren’t getting fair treatment under him and his coaching philosophy just doesn’t seem to work with the new NHL.

B. I like what most of the team gives in certainly, I can’t expect much more from these guys in most cases.

C. Darche is 33 and a career AHL man, he’ll never be ready for the show. He’ll be playing in the AHL next season again, maybe for the Bulldogs, maybe not. Pouliot came in sharp, but I don’t think JM has been a good long-term coaching influence on him.

D. I don’t know if Halak can’t be a good starting man, because honestly this is his longest career year ever I believe in terms of GP so this is a whole new level of competition and strain, he’s never had to play this often in his career.

I believe in Price as well, but I also know we can’t really say choosing one goaltender over another this summer would do us any good for now, push the goaltender experiment one more year as it stands now.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

62. wmarcello says:

You’re probably right. I imagine most of the booing came from drunks of all races and cultures, but there is definitely an extra element of disdain for the Americans in Quebec. Alcohol will just bring it out. It should also be noted that I don’t think the American anthem gets booed in other Canadian arenas, at least from what I’ve seen. To be fair though, I’ve never heard a home crowd boo their own goalie after a 3rd star performance either…

63. newbrunswick troy says:

I totally agree…we would be really make a go of it if only we had finished …well anywhere other than having to play the JUGGERNAUGHTS CALLED PENS AND CAPS

64. ed lopaz says:

Same guys that booed price when he was second star  – EXACTLY.

65. newbrunswick troy says:

I must take a momment to make a few points that i,ve noticed this playoffs::

A-   alot of people are shitting on J.M (would we be even this competitive against this power house)if not for some of the styles he inacted…at the end of the day it was not him who brought in all the smurfs!!!

B-now that said alot of these smurfs have impressed me (M.A.B especially great impact player for just a mere 750.00k   think Hammer @5.5mil——also Gomez,Gionta,Cammy,PLecs,even Lapariere and Gill wow,ed me often….much of the team gave their heart… thats all you can ask for

C_the only exceptions in my own opinion are as follows  —Darch (not quite ready for the show) young Kostystn(still way to scared to get hit), although that makes him no different from rest of team. also Andre Kos.(here today,un-noticeable tomorrow) Pouliot ..what to say ?(all the tallent in the world,but something for sure missing in his game!!!)

D-  I think i,m right when i say Halak is a great goalie …back up goalie(he can,t play afull schedual plus playoffs..he just looked exhausted last 10-12 games

That said Price is for sure a gamer with all the inner tallent..(somehow montreal has to nurture him along to become mature..resiliant to the Boo,s and most of all confident)  cause truss me he will someday take a team and carry them on his back deep into the playoffs(i only hope the same idiots that boo the american anthem..don,t boo him out of town!!!)

********Once again this team has honestly made me proud for the most part,,,definitly something to*****

********build on…providing cap ceiling goes up enough to compensate for some of Gaineys bad buys***

66. SeriousFan09 says:

Drunken a-holes in the cheap seats who thinks that it gets their team going or helps put the other team down. It embarrasses me as a Habs fan, a Montrealer and a Canadian.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

67. TripleX says:

There is no understanding boorish behavior enhanced by booze.  How does one explain rioting after championship wins or the burning of crosses?  From the just juvenile to the truly heinous, idiocy knows no bounds.

The capacity of man to engage in foolish and destructive behaviors is well documented throughout history.

68. Off-side says:

It’s also important to emphasize that the national anthem booers were of all races…Anglophone, Francophones and immigrants.

69. Storm Man says:

It made me sick to be at the game and hear that crap going on, and it is not the first time that has happened.

70. wmarcello says:

Obviously there is going to be a bit of anti-American sentiment anywhere in Canada, but it’s definitely most obvious in Quebec. The link that follows suggest it stems from the anti-militaristic attitude of most Quebecois.

71. Off-side says:

I laugh as I read this, Tampa.  I laugh because some Americans were chanting USA, USA, USA in the Wash. stadium.  They don’t seem to get it either.  Sadly, this is a reminder that there are idiots all over the world.

72. badangel says:

Well Stanley Cup series are best of 7 and not 5 for a reason.

I’m not ready to see the Habs go this year yet so I hope they win tomorrow

73. badangel says:

if it was a seperatist thing they would boo the canadian anthem as well.

Sadly I think there are just a few hundred people who think booing the American anthem is equivalent to booing the team or players on the opposing team. Pure ignorance really.. it’s small minded.. nothing more than that

74. HabsBlogger says:

We are down 3-1 in in the series but we are playing good hockey. We are playing with heart and leadership but those caps just got some great offensive weapons that can steel games.

Only complaint I have is with the coaching, really hammer and MB together after a goal? WTF?

75. HabsFanInTampa says:

Please help me understand. Why do the fans at the bell Center boo national anthems? I don’t understand it. Is it a Quebec Separatist thing or does it happen at all the Canadian NHL arenas. Also, don’t the fans realize that Gionta, for example, was born and raised in Rochester, NY and is American. How do you think he feels when he hears those boos when his American anthem is being played?