Auction for signed Forum seat has begun

seatweb

Are you still looking for a Christmas gift for that special hockey fan on your shopping list?

How about a blue seat from the old Forum signed by six members of the current Canadiens roster?

Beginning at 11 a.m. Thursday and continuing through 11 a.m. Tuesday, The Gazette will be auctioning off the Forum seat through eBay on our hockeyinsideout.com website with all the money going to The Gazette Christmas Fund, now in its 47th year of putting food on the tables and gifts under the holiday trees of less fortunate Montrealers.

The starting bid will be $500 and you can place your bid by going to hockeyinsideout.com/auction. For more information on The Gazette Christmas Fund, go to montrealgazette.com/christmasfund.

The six Canadiens players — Carey Price, Brian Gionta, Travis Moen, Colby Armstrong, Josh Gorges and Brandon Prust — signed the seat during another Gazette Christmas Fund fund-raiser last month in which Montrealer Caroline Tardif bid $3,300 in an eBay auction through hockeyinsideout.com to dine at Montreal steak house Moishes along with the Canadiens players and The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs.

“It sounds like an odd thing to say, but I was happy to see how really ‘normal’ all the guys were,” Caroline told Stubbs about her dinner with the players and her partner Éric Legault. “They’re so down-to-earth and easy to talk to. They totally made us feel included and welcome, like we were part of their group, not two outsiders just looking in.”

Caroline added: “I’m also happy to think I may have contributed in helping less fortunate Montrealers enjoy a more pleasant holiday season. As for me, my Christmas sure came early this year and I’ve loved every second of it.”

(Photo by John Kenney/The Gazette)

1. john smith says:

In response to comments regarding Branden Troock… his daddy went way further than setting up his son for extra ice time during his minor hockey career. I personally witnessed game score sheets being manipulated by his Dad (while volunteering as a time keeper)along with aggressive manipulation of tournament officials before anything even started. Daddy & Mommy had a bad case of what we called “Wayne Gretzky” fever in Whitemud West hockey. The kids a dud and many kids and parents were hurt in our area due to overly aggressive behavior by his parents.
    Coached Colin Smith and I agree with your comments.

2. Habfan10912 says:

Watching the Rocket in that video still gives me chills. I really don’t think he had any idea what he meant to the people of Montreal and fans everywhere. They don’t make them like that anymore.
    Man I miss that building.

———————————–

• Bripro says:

Me too Jim!
      They’ve converted the old forum into an entertainment centre, and it’s owned by my sister’s employer. As property manager, she looks over this building as well and I have to tell you……it’s empty.
      There’s a theatre and a virtual bowling alley, a few shops…. meh.
      Remember how you could leave the old forum and walk in the back to the original Delislo’s? It’s gone! Calories? It’s closed.

• Habfan10912 says:

I stop there every time I’m in Montreal. I sit in those seats near Center Ice and remember fond times. I’m glad they didn’t tear the structure down but it is different. The memories? They stay the same.

———————————–

• frontenac1 says:

Ha! Memories! When I was at Concordia, I worked as a waiter at Norm Silvers Moustache Club right across on Closse. He only hired Sir George Williams Lads.
        The Dilallo Buckbuger!

• Cal says:

One of my great memories was in 1987 when they did the “Relive the Dream” series between Team Canada and USSR. I had seats 1st row directly behind Tretiak.
      About halfway through the 3rd period, Shutt had the puck deep in the zone, and I could see this little spot between the crossbar and Tretiak’s shoulder. Before I had time to think, Shuttie wristed it right there! No chance for Tretiak, just like many of Shutt’s victims.
      Bell Centre is a nice modern building with great sound. The Forum was better in so many other ways, but mainly that there wasn’t a really poor seat in the house.

3. Luke says:

A forum seat signed by players who never played there, two of which have never played for the Habs, one of which who may never play for the Habs.

Look, I appreciate guys working for charity, and I’m by no means a memorabelia collecter, but this seems like getting Stephen Ames to sign Shawn Green’s baseball glove…

4. Mustang says:

Tick-tock, tick-tock,tick-tock. That is the sound of NHL negotiations as we see the season slip away. Tick-tock, tick-tock. In the mean time, somewhere a fat lady is tuning up her pipes. Tick-tock, tick-tock.

5. secretdragonfly says:

THN’s latest has a pretty good section on the upcoming juniors – here are their rankings (no surprises here)

First – Canada
    Second – Russia
    Third – USA

Also noticed a very nice plug for Todd Denault’s book – way to go!

6. frontenac1 says:

Take Heart Amigos! Canada”s other Official sport starts on Jan 5. National Lacrosse League. I love the sport and would take it over those foreign games of Soccer and Baseball.any day Oh yeah, its. still considered a” pure sport” . The guys have to have real jobs because a 30 grand salary is considered pretty good. Love the Rochester Nighthawks but also have a soft spot for Colin Doyle with The Rock. Check it out amigos.

7. D Mex says:

Whoa !
    Just located this little gem of Brisebois vs Hartley on YouTube.
    At first I thought it was staged – but apparently not !
    Does anyone know what this was – and when ?

ALWAYS Habs –
    D Mex

8. HabNut69 says:

Nice to see some of the millionaires graciously donating their signatures and 30 seconds of their time to help the less fortunate. Makes my heart melt.

9. commandant says:

No movement from either side today.

Big surprise.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

10. RetroMikey says:

$500 for an old seat signed by unproven Hall of Famers?
    No thanks, if I want to sit on something, I have 4 toilet seats in my house.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

11. myron.selby says:

Ha! Here’s where I get to pat myself on the back. A number of years ago I was coaching my son in Peewee and was also Atom director for Whitemud West (largest minor hockey association in Edmonton). The way Whitemud placed kids on teams was by having 3 or 4 evaluation games where they would get as many parents as possible to evaluate kids. You would get a scoresheet with the numbers of either all the forwards or D on both teams (no names) and you had to score them on both offensive and defensive aspects of their game – 5 points for each. They held training sessions each year that you had to attend to make sure everyone understood how it was supposed to work.

It’s not a perfect system since a lot of the parents don’t know that much about the game. But since you weren’t allowed to evaluate the position your kid played it all sort of worked out.

Anyway, I figure I did well over 1000 evaluations over the years. In all that time I only ever gave out a 10 once. That was to a first year Atom player (9 years old) named Colin Smith. I said many times that I figured he was going to make the show someday.

Well now he leads the WHL scoring race. If he hadn’t stopped growing at 5’10” he would have gone a lot higher in the draft. He may never make it but he sure has the tools.

The other kid he played with who everyone else thought was way better was Branden Troock. He had all the tools (incredibly hard shot and a very good skater). Unfortunately, his father had coached him to be totally selfish. The year his Dad coached the Atom 1 team he moved Branden from forward to D so that he’d get more ice. He was playing him about 50 minutes a game and if Branden ever passed the puck I missed it.

12. myron.selby says:

I took my step-son Luc and his buddy to the Oil Kings-Blazers game last night. My son was supposed to have come but he was too ill. It was a fun evening that didn’t cost an arm and a leg.

It was like watching 2 totally different games each period. Periods 1 & 3 the Oil Kings dominated. But that game was over in the second if Oil Kings backup goalie Tristan Jarry doesn’t stand on his head. Kamloops had 25 shots in the second and probably 2 or 3 minutes of 5 on 3 but only came away with a single goal. That kid is a very good goalie. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him go in the first round next year.

The Blazers played Calgary the night before and they looked kind of tired. It was a very physical chippy game with lots of cheap shots and fights. Musil got a kneeing penalty and the 2 young high school age guys beside me surprised me by getting on Keegan Lowe for being a goon (which he was).

Tim Bozon had a pretty good game but didn’t really dominate. That being said, his goal was a true goal-scorer’s goal. He wound up coming in alone and put a beauty of a wrist shot short side, an inch inside the post and an inch under the cross-bar. Not many goalies could have stopped it. He is a nice looking player but he could be more effective if he worked a bit harder. Don’t know if he’ll ever wear a Habs jersey, but I sure wouldn’t rule it out.

• Trisomy 21 says:

myron. Thanks for the input, i posted my observations from the Hitmen game you mentioned yesterday. Basically I saw Bozon working very hard, but not taking many shots. Nice to hear he can actually shoot the puck. The particular game I saw Bozon stood out for me as being one of the harder working guys on the ice. His passing was pretty precise but sometimes made no look passes to nobody or did the ol’ Scott Gomez dump it to their defenseman tactic

It is great to get scouting updates like this from you guys. Trisomy, I read your report yesterday and even better Myron gets another one for us from last nights game. Thanks guys, to any other folk here who to go to games like this, please post your thoughts.

It is always interesting and informative to read what we all think of various prospects at any level.

This is what makes HI/O so good, IMO.

13. shiram says:

It’s come to this, it really has…

Darren DregerVerified
    ‏@DarrenDreger
    Well, one side says there was a meeting this am and now the other side says there wasn’t. Somewhat humorous

• Kooch7800 says:

it is quite sad actually. Until there is a drop dead date nothing will happen. Just a waste of time. You two strong arm negotiators waiting till someone flinches. I am honestly at a point where I don’t care about this season. We are mid December and a season from January to April just seems like a cheap version. The only benefit would be actually playing for draft position.

I actually thought they were going to get something done last week but that was quite foolish of me. It is like waiting for July 1 every time the two sides meet and just like July 1 you are usually disappointed after

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

14. myron.selby says:

I have a red seat from the Forum kicking around. I thought I’d put it in the tv room to watch games but it’s way too uncomfortable to use.

When they first decided they were going to build a new arena I had the idea of approaching the Canadiens to sell off the seats from the Forum, along with the boards, scoreboard etc. I figured I could put together a business plan and maybe get them to buy in. The only obstacle I couldn’t get by was that it would be impossible to supervise from Edmonton and I couldn’t abandon my other business.

Interestingly, the seat I bought cost almost exactly what I figured I would have priced them for.

15. commandant says:

Bozon with another goal last night, in a losing cause though.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

16. VJ says:

Would’ve been better if it had been signed by players who actually stepped on Forum ice. Oh well, still a great idea and an even better cause

17. RabidHabit says:

Sucks to buy a seat signed by at least a couple of guys who won’t be here in 2 years though.

• shiram says:

Armstrong might never play a game for the Habs…

• shiram says:

Well it would annoy me if I dropped a couple K’s on Habs memorabilia and to have the name of a Penguins/Thrashers/Leafs player on it.

• Timo says:

Honestly, would buy Habs memorabilia signed by a player who is yet to play a single game for the Habs? On the list, Price is the only Hab that I can associate with being Habs. The rest of that riff-raff is just come and go money grabbers (wasters)

• shiram says:

I won’t be spending anywhere near that amount of money on memorabilia, but I think Gorges, Moen and Gionta are Habs.
            Gorges played 5 season with the Habs, and he is signed for 6 more.
            Gionta is captain, Moen played 3 seasons and is signed for 4 more.

18. ZepFan2 says: