At long last, Sid returns to Montreal

sid-don

A cropped view of photographer Bob Fisher’s wonderful shot of Sidney Crosby and referee Don Koharski just before the opening faceoff of  Crosby’s first-ever NHL game in Montreal, a 6-4 Penguins win on Jan. 3, 2006. Read Stubbs story linked below for the story behind this photo, and see below for the full, uncropped image Fisher shot that night.
© Copyright Bob Fisher

He’s been gone seemingly forever – about 18 months, in fact. It will be 11 months to the day since he’s played an NHL game in Canada.

And now the frighteningly hot Sidney Crosby and his Pittsburgh Penguins, 6-3 home-ice winners Friday night over the Ottawa Senators, come to Montreal Saturday to take on the Canadiens, authors of an insipid 3-1 loss to the Flyers in Philadelphia on Friday afternoon.

Crosby scored twice and assisted twice Monday against the New York Islanders in his long-awaited return to action after having suffered a concussion early this past January. On Wednesday, he was feisty if without a point against St. Louis, then Friday had three assists before the game was 10 minutes old vs. Ottawa.

Both the Canadiens and Penguins will not hold a Saturday morning game-day skate. So all’s quiet at the Bell Centre until the teams warm up at 6:35 pm. Crosby will be available to the media only after the game, to be seen on the full CBC network and RDS at 7 pm.

• My Saturday-edition Gazette feature on Crosby and his return to Montreal.
• Mike Boone makes a case for a new nickname for The Kid.
• Red Fisher says Crosby will get no free passes.
Crosby leads Penguins to 6-3 win over Senators

And below, a chart I’ve put together cataloguing Crosby’s lifetime performance against the Canadiens, both regular season and the one playoff series he’s skated versus Montreal.

How Page 1 of The Gazette headlined the first-ever NHL game Sidney Crosby played in Montreal, on Jan. 3, 2006. The Penguins won 6-4, Crosby scoring on his first shot at the Bell Centre and again early in the third period.

Below: The full version of Bob Fisher’s Jan. 3, 2006 photo of Penguins’ Sidney Crosby and referee Don Koharski, the ref telling Crosby he wanted a photo of the two men before the first faceoff of the game. Fisher snapped this shot of player and official together and Habs captain Saku Koivu, seen here between Penguins’ Ziggy Palffy and Canadiens’ Alex Kovalev, then won the draw.
© Copyright Bob Fisher

1. HABZ24 says:

crosby better be shadowed tightly tonight and hit constantly or habs will get there azzes kicked into submission tonight. price needs to stand on is head because fleury plays hot in mtl.

GO HABS GO

2. Mavid says:

oh and Punkster is my guy….

second place is just the first loser

3. Mavid says:

The problem is my dog, Little Bit did not have her jersey on yesterday..she must wear it for every game..yesterday in my rush to get to an appointment, I forgot to put it on her..she will have it on tonight..no question..and we will win…

second place is just the first loser

4. habMAINEac says:

Call me a party pooper, but as long as we have solid teams like the Boston Pukes and Pitt, etc. our beloved Habs (at best) can only aim for the first round of playoffs.
    I wonder if the Habs not making the playoffs will be a wake-up call to management? Barely making it, does not cut it!!!!

Mediocre teams work at their best; teams seeking excellence strive to do better.

5. twocents says:

Waaaa…waaaan.. waan… waa… wa…

6. HNS says:

No doubt this team will struggle to make .500 this year. Suck City

The poor player that hits Crosby full contact, clean or not. If he receives a hit full force, not necessarily in the head, and goes down hard, well lets just say I hope it is not one of our guys. Because they will throw the book at him.

In the games he has played so far, he has had a free pass with just a few bumps. No player wants to be the one that ends both of their careers.

He is a wonderful hockey player, but he is on borrowed time now. It will happen, I just hope it is not at the Bell Center, that he gets his bell rung.

• Captain aHab says:

Nah, Thornton will end Crosby’s career and tell Shanny he didn’t realize he was playing hockey. Shanny will say it sounded credible.

In all seriousness Ian, I doubt the league would throw the book at a guy for ending Crosby’s career. At most, a repeat offender might get 15 games fot it if he’s not a star. The NHLPA just doesn’t care. Since they don’t, I don’t either.

• DorvalTony says:

Thank you Dr. Recchi.

——————————————————————-
      Little giants: Henri Richard, Mats Naslund, Yvan Cournoyer, Aurel Joliat, Howie Morenz, Guy Carbonneau, Newsy Lalonde.

• SeriousFan09 says:

Patrice Bergeron had a similarly harrowing period of non-activity in the NHL Ian as he recovered, he’s since returned and is one of the better two-way Cs in the NHL now. Head injuries are scary, but a lot is still unknown.

Crosby may be like Kariya who took one bad knock (Suter) and remains an elite player and than take another (Stevens) and that’s his decline from superstar status but we won’t know. Some guys play their entire career without a bad hit to the head or have one and that’s all the trouble they ever have. The real issue for Pittsburgh is that if he does get any kind of head contact to properly evaluate him, not keep playing him in the game and the next game so the damage can be compounded.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

• Ian Cobb says:

True dat Gerald. A lot is still unknown. It would be sad to lose him from our game. And your also right about players never having further problems.
        Our young defense is going to have their hands full tonight!

8. Here’s hoping that the Habs are well rested form yesterday’s 40 minute nap over the 2nd and 3rd periods.

Oh, and for your funny bones…

9. Neutral says:

Max Pleks Kostitsyn
    Cole Eller Cammy
    Moen Desharnais Gio
    Darche Gomez Nokelainen

send Palushaj back down he’s doing nothing – if these lines can’t get it done – no playoffs.

10. Bill says:

Question about the site: the archives only seem to go back to February … anyone know if there’s a way to access earlier articles/comments, etc.?

Full Breezer 4 Life

11. Thomas Le Fan says:

Crosby needs a new nickname? Cr-awesome!

12. Neutral says:

The problem with this team – most of the youth they brought in is not panning out – we don’t have a star player – the so called good players are on the downside of their careers playing out their contracts – so what can you expect – except for Price, Max-pac, Pk, Emelin, Kostitsyn maybe weber – this team needs a complete make-over – until it’s done you and I will be watching the same old – same old for years to come – some people on here made fun at the leafs for not winning a cup in 40 years – what goes around comes around……

13. Chris F says:

Responding to a post earlier, I would agree that there is no spark, no excitement, nobody to bring you out of your seats. Too plain, too easy to play against. And our record reflects it.
    We may need a redo. I’ve been saying Cammy for Bourque, and let Gomez play in the minors and do whatever it takes to land Shae Weber.
    We’ve had to play against our rivals for years with Chara standing back there, lets even it up. Do whatever you have to to make a pitch. Take Gomez’s money and go after Weber, it would change the face of the franchise. Price, Subban, Weber, Patches, Cole, White, re-sign AK, Trade Gio next year for some young guns, do it right.
    The problem is, does PG strike you as someone who could convince Shea Weber to come play in Montreal? NOT A CHANCE. So Molson has some work to do. Turn this mediocrity around.
    You can build around Shae Weber for the next 10 years. Period.This is not a knee jerk reaction to Friday’s game, which was embarassing. But the fact that we are losing many games because of our very poor pp, games we used to win with Kovy and the boys passing it around on a string. That was exciting, teams feared our pp, and it was fun to watch. This team is too vanilla, who on here can bring you out of your seats to cheer. Subban did it last year, it’s great to see Cole fly around the D, a great save by Price, that’s about it. We need more. Weber may be there for the taking.
    Let Gomez go, it was great for one playoff series, now it looks like he’s done. But more importantly we can change the team with his money. And if this is not reason enough, I don’t know what is.

14. JF says:

It’s really beginning to look as though we won’t make the playoffs. Since the 4-game winning streak we’ve been playing .500 hockey, and it’s difficult to see us doing any better until Markov comes back and plays at least a handful of games. For the moment, we’re more or less staying with the pack, but the games in hand held by almost all the others in our position will very likely be the difference. Not only do we have to get ahead of those teams, we also have to displace a team currently in a playoff spot. At the moment, they all look like more legitimate contenders than we do. Florida and Toronto are the real surprises, perhaps Florida especially, since they were almost entirely rebuilt over the summer. As for the Leafs, they had a great stretch at the end of last season, and it seems they’re just continuing from that. Since losing their starting goaltender hasn’t derailed them, I would think that the only thing that might would be Kessel going cold. For now, he’s making that trade actually look good.

If I were a Buffalo Sabre, I’d want to go out and injure a key Bruin next game. Last year, they took out one of our top players without having to pay for it; this year they’ve done it to the Sabres, who are now out of a playoff spot.

15. Chrisadiens says:

We might make the playoffs, we might not. Its about the future now, and I like the prospects we have. We will eventually become contenders when all the pieces mature.
    Im a fan through thick and thin, I will continue to watch 500 hockey, and when we win that next cup, it will be even sweeter.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

16. New says:

What a privilege to see Crosby play hockey. 11 goals in 59 regular season shots against the Habs! But only one in seven playoff matchups? Wow. This young man brings it every night, so if you’re floating he will burn you big time.

I so wish he was a Hab. If only for the attitude.

17. HabsFansince49 says:

My Last Post
    As my nickname indicates I’ve been watching (actually listening to first) the Canadiens for many years. I grew up in St John’s, NL and on Saturday night I sat near the wooden radio in the kitchen to listen to the Habs play. Why I picked the Habs I’m not sure. Some say you are born a Habs fan. During those years there many ups and downs, but mostly ups. I lived through the Richard riots, the real Les Glorieux and the exile of St Patrick.
    When I lived in Sydney, NS the local CBC TV did a show on me as a radical Habs fan. I wrote a letter to Jean Beliveau urging him not to retire.
    Now I quit. I’m not a quitter by nature. And I’m not quitting because they are losing. I re-read my recent posts on HIO and I can see what my disgust has done to me. Being negative and whining can have the most impact on the person who is doing the whining and is negative. That’s me. And I don’t like myself for it.
    The once glorious organization is, in my opinion, in a mess, a hole that will take major changes to get out of. That’s just my opinion.
    I’ll take leave of HIO and watching the Habs (it’s the only reason I subscribe to RDS HD). If the day ever comes when those major changes occur, I hope to be back. Those changes start behind the bench. In the meantime I’ll re-watch DVD’s of the good old days In Montreal.
    Oh, almost forgot. This is a great site and I love the banter and good articles.

18. Duke_Rauol says:

Any word if Markov will play in California?

——————————————————————-
    We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold……

19. Sharks9 says:

What are the chances of Louis Leblanc getting called up soon? I’d like to see if he can do anything in the NHL.

25 before 14

• DearyLeary says:

Unlikely. 4 goals 5 assists, in 13 games is pretty good for an AHL rookie. But a -6 is like kryptonite if you ever want to make a Jacques Martin team.

I’d expect him to push for a spot next training camp, with him being a late cut and a midseason callup.

• Mark C says:

In this case his +/- matters little, the Bulldogs’ only have one plus player and he’s in Montreal injured right now.

Letting him fully mature and development in the A is the biggest reason not to call him up.

• SeriousFan09 says:

He’s doing well in his first AHL season but this is premature. He’s still working off his shoulder surgery and learning the pro game. He may contend for a spot at next camp though.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

20. HabFanSince72 says:

I’m a huge fan of JM but the real reason we are losing games is we’re just not very good. I know we all love our Habs but let’s be objective – this is not a cup contender.

1. Our best forward is Plex. Now, I like Plex he is great on the PK and an offensive threat who should be considered for the Bob Gainey Trophy (or whatever they call it). But he’s not an all-star, and will never get one vote for the hall of fame.

2. Our defence is dire. On a dominant team the defence starts attacks. On our team it’s the reverse. The forwards need to come back and cover for the D. Our two veterans are Gill and Gorges – decent at best. The others are still learning.

3. There isn’t a real leader on the team. I’m a Gionta fan but he is simply the worst Canadiens captain of all time, as a leader and as a player.

So JM has been given a team that can only win by playing JM hockey, and even then it will not win all that often.

• Sharks9 says:

1. Agreed, although I think in a year or two MaxPac may be our best.

2. The return of people from injuries should help with that and the problem right now isn’t so much that their bad, they’re just young and lack confidence that guys like Gill, Spacek and Markov have.

3. Wow. I don’t think you could say that because we have no idea what goes in the dressing room and what he does there to motivate and help out the team. Also, he’s been our leading scorer for the past two years which isn’t that hard given our poor offense but you need to give him SOME credit for what he has done with this team.

25 before 14

• DorvalTony says:

You don’t think Gio is better than Mike Keane (God bless him)? And how many cups did Koivu bring home? I’d rather see Cammer as C than Gionta though. Leadership is a problem but we haven’t had a superstar since Saint Patrick or an oustanding captain since Damphousse.
      ——————————————————————-

• New says:

I think it has been like this for a long time. Rivet was a god until he was traded. Souray was a huge loss, until he achieved nothing. Koivu was the king, until he left. Kovy couldn’t really do much in Ottawa. Halak is fighting for third string right now. Theodore walked on water until the ice melted.

The guys are what they are. You can only have so much salary. If you are doing well at the box office there is a tendency to pay up to the limit. So you overpay because of taxes and those conditions. There hasn’t been a first line center since Damphouse left, and no leadership since Roy, Keane, and Brashear left. Big Jean must wonder some nights if the current team would even recognize a leader. Then again the boo-birds aren’t the flannel suited fans of old either I suppose.

It is what it is: over-hyped Coyotes North, only it makes money.

21. Captain aHab says:

Muller must feel right at home in Milwaukee: a team with few scorers that has to play sound defensively to win.

22. Captain aHab says:

OK, so for whatever reason(s) this team seems to be a .500 team right now. How much of an improvement do you think the following changes could make?:

A) Get Markov back at 85% for the remainder of the season (crosses fingers)

B) Getting rid of JM and bringing in a coach who can motivate guys to play 60 minutes and who won’t play favourites and keep changing lines constantly

C) Both A) and B)

I think the motivation part is a big reason why they’re a .500 team but I’m not sure how far they could go on motivation alone. When the Bruins start taking cheap shots at them during the playoffs and if the PP doesn’t click, they won’t last, unless Price is superhuman.

They’ll need Markov to come back as well to help make teams pay for taking penalties. If they get that AND motivation, that little train might last for a few rounds.

My fear is that they’ll get Markov back but not get much more motivation, which will get them just a tad closer to the playoffs, to the point where I’m worried we’ll see a bad trade to get an old player to try to make the playoffs and maybe win a round.

• G-Man says:

I really don’t get the “motivation” bs that’s mentioned over and over on this site. The players are supposed to be professionals. Their motivation is supposed to be the love of the game and the big dollars they make. Why the hell do they not give an effort or prepare for games? Are they just spoiled brats with no pride in the team at all or all they are just opportunistic carpetbaggers that take the money and run?
      These players should be ready for each and every shift. They’re getting paid to do that. I don’t buy the psychobabble excuses.

• JF says:

I don’t get the motivation bs either. I think the team is motivated. I would say yesterday was their second bad game this year, the other being the Pittsburgh game. If you look around the League, every team will have a few bad games. Our problems for the most part do not arise from lack of motivation. We have a very young, inexperienced defence, which is bound to have games where they screw up completely; it’s part of the learning process. We have players playing positions they shouldn’t be (Pleks on the point on the PP), we have overpaid vets who are not living up to expectations. Cammy is on pace for fewer than 20 goals this season; the expectation was that he would score close to 40. Gionta is going at about his usual pace, so I can’t really complain there, but of course there’s Gomez. Not to mention the injuries. It’s adding up to a .500 season after a horrific start.

• Jim Edson says:

Motivation is a two way street one can me motivated to excel or demotivated to mediocrity.
        Demotivated employees are rarely productive and more likely counter productive.
        As far as the millions as a motivator don’t believe it, most of these millionaires are just kids and if are suitably demotivated quickly adopt the “whatever” attitude and wait for free agency or a trade. ie Latendresse who was entitled and ended up bitching about first line and PP time that in his mind were rightly his!
        Is Scott Gomez highly motivated by his 7.4 million contract? Judging by results, not a all.
        The demotivated Habs players quite often end up very playing well as soon as they are traded or let walk in free agency!

———————————————————————-

Who am I: Barak Obama or Gary Bettman.

23. JoeC says:

Its another reason why JM needs to be replaced, he has a man crush on Diaz even though hes been progressivly getting worse game in and game out on all aspects of the game, hes a train wreck on the PP. I do not understand why Emelin hasnt even been given a chance on the PP?? Cause we all know Weber and Diaz arew amazing.

Im stick to my guns and saying Emelin is getting treated like this cause hes russian, no other reason. And to think the amount of work PG and BG did to get this kid to come to the NHL to watch him play so little is more of a disgrase to our organization then sending Gomez to Hamilton, which i truly dont think any other player or team in the league would blame us for

24. habs001 says:

we may not like the leafs but have to give them credit on their year so far(tough to admit)…we may complain about our injuries but the leafs injuries have been just as bad if not worse…

• Duke_Rauol says:

I actually dont hate the Leafs, I hate most Leaf fans because of their hatred of the Habs. Id love to see a playoff series Habs vs Leafs someday.

——————————————————————-

• JF says:

I don’t hate the Leafs either. I hate HNIC and the CBC and their fawning over the Leafs, but I actually like the team itself. No matter how bad they are, they always play hard. And they’re fun to watch. They usually play a wide open style, which leads to spectacular plays, either spectacularly good or spectacularly bad. And I have to give them a lot of credit this season. They were ready at the start, which we didn’t seem to be; they have a lot of injuries, including their starting goaltender, but they continue to win at a pace that will almost certainly get them to the playoffs.

25. TOP DAWG says:

I just might skip tonight’s live blog. What, with Boone’s doom & gloom Habs & his love for Sid.

Just as well watch CBC instead.

“If you’re not the TOP DAWG, the view never changes”

McDonagh played 29 minutes last night.

Boston wins it’s 10th in a row.

Comeau claimed on waivers by Calgary.

Teachers’ to keep stake in MLSE.

Rumour has it that Patrick Roy and Geoff Molson were seen together in Quebec City having dinner at a private dinner club.

27. Captain aHab says:

I know a bunch of people say that sending Gomez to Hamilton isn’t the Habs way but I have to think that if it gets to a point where they will lose young talent if they don’t, Gomez will be on a bus.

If they don’t do that and lose top players because of it, they all deserve to be fired, Molson included.

“We really wanted to keep Max Pacioretty but we unfortunately have a commitment to Scott Gomez.” It’s just not gonna happen folks. He’ll be traded WITH an asset for nothing or sent to Hammy.

28. smiler2729 says:

Oh CRAP! The NBA lockout is over… man, I hate basketball, I’d rather watch soccer (paint drying)!

Now NBA stories and highlights will cut into our NHL and NFL time.

___________________________________
    Jack Edwards sucks chowdah chunks

29. G-Man says:

Watching Pac with Cole it seems to me that he’s becoming less effective every game. Pac isn’t going to the net and is passing too much. If Martin insists on DD and Cole, maybe the 3rd should be Cammy or Gionta for now and move Pac to Pleks.
    Emelin will not be able to back up any cheap shots he delivers- his face was literally broken in a fight he had a few seasons ago, so don’t expect it.
    The team does need a resident psycho that can play.

• DorvalTony says:

White’s got a big heart but he’s on the small side. They need White and two others I’d say. And one of them HAS to be a D.

——————————————————————-

30. 365fan says:

I just had a scary thought. Next season Scott Gomez will probably be playing in Montreal and Josh Gorges won’t be.

• smiler2729 says:

Pierre Gauthier can’t be that stupid… can he?

Uh oh.

___________________________________
      Jack Edwards sucks chowdah chunks

• 24 Cups says:

The Habs have overpaid for most of the high end UFAs they have signed during the past few years (Gionta, Cole, Hamrlik, Cammy, Gomez via a trade).

With GIll and Spacek on life support, Weber and Diaz still on the development fence and Markov on a bad leg, the Habs will have no choice but to overpay for Gorges. Especially seeing there is no one on the farm who can make the big team for the next few years.

• DorvalTony says:

Beaulieu looked outstanding in pre season.

——————————————————————-

• 24 Cups says:

DT – Most junior hotshots look great in pre-season – I don’t put much stock in that. You only have to look at some other recent high pick Dmen to see just how long it truly takes for them to arrive and become top four defensemen (Gudbranson, Ekman-Larsson, Bogosian, Pietrangelo). You also have to be mindful of our poor track record at developing young players. Pushing too much, too soon has hurt the organization.

2012-13 > Beaulieu spends the entire season in Hamilton getting tons of ice and PP time

2013-14 > Joins the Habs as the spare defenseman while learning his trade. Hopefully, earns a spot on the 3rd pairing later in the season

2014-15 > Plays on the 2nd pairing and gets secondary PP time

• Captain aHab says:

They’re all doing their best to not make Gainey look bad but I doubt PG will want to lose his job over Gainey’s trade. They’ll find a way to get rid of Gomez’ albatros of a contract.

31. ludwig44 says:

Sid will be ready tonight to light the lamp a few times. Back to back games – chalk up another loss. More frustrating – Leafs will probably make the playoffs, Habs won’t and I NEVER thought that would happen this year!

• G-Man says:

Sorry, jl, I hope they fall to pieces. They’re the frakking laffs, after all.

• 24 Cups says:

There’s a ton of history here between these two clubs.

Hab fans are starting to get a bit anxious now that the laffs appear to be finally turning the corner.

Of course that pales to the hatred felt toward the Bruins.

It’s not easy living in a bubble world. Trust me, with my moniker, I know as well as any Hab fan.

32. TOP DAWG says:

Need to get rid of the vets come summer & I don’t care how. Cammi, Gio, Gill, Gomez, Spaceman

“If you’re not the TOP DAWG, the view never changes”

33. TOP DAWG says:

I’m sick of hearing about Crosby. The League didn’t fold. The NHL was fine without him. I’m counting the days till he is out again.

“If you’re not the TOP DAWG, the view never changes”

34. cdhc says:

I think its important for all to recognize that the season is played on the ice for a reason – we don’t know before any given game what the outcome will be – and that’s what so great about the game. Yes, the 70′s were a great time to be a Habs fan as you pretty well could expect a win 75+ percent of the time based on the teams winning percentage during that decade. Times change, life changes and the NHL is no longer the Habs playground. This team still holds the same magic for me as it always has. The results are no longer as good as they used to be, but reality has shown us the times of dominance are no longer the norm (see Canadiens, Oilers, Islanders, Red Wings and to a lesser extent Devils) but the rare exception (see Wings) in the modern NHL. So, for the most part with our beloved team, the sky is rarely falling (save for those few rough years in the late 90′s early 00′s) even though a loss like yesterday in Philly plays with the most optimistic psyche. I was as the Bell Centre last Saturday for the awesome performance against the Rangers. I saw what happened against the Flyers. That is the reality of today’s game. Like life, there are ebbs and flows. This is a good team that can compete in todays NHL. They’ve been decimated by injuries and some opportunistic scoring and superior goaltending has kept them at the mendoza line. They have done this the last 2 + years without their best player so I think they are doing just fine. They have the best goalie in the world and that is worth gold in this league. When their best player returns, with a few bounces and a little more luck, this is clearly a playoff team and then who knows. To me the obvious thing the Habs need is a biggish center to take some of the heat off the smaller skilled players. Lars Eller MAY turn into that guy. Yes, Jocko makes me shake my head sometimes and all these too many men on the ice penalties are just silly at this level, but I’ll continue to give Jocko the benefit of the doubt until Geoff Molson decides to pull the plug which is inevitable. Sure, the coach makes decisions that in hindsight are not correct, (read dumb), but he makes them with the best interest of Les Glorieux in mind. Not one person beyond those in the Habs room knows what goes on behind closed doors so I choose to give the coaching staff some slack and believe they’ll get it right. If they don’t, someone else will get to try to do it better. In the meantime, tonight not many have faith they can beat the Penguins in Crosby’s return to MTL. I say, the game is played on the ice and we’ll have to wait and see if extraordinary talents like Price, Subban and Cole (whose presence is a complete revelation to this team on the forecheck) can do what they often do – lead this group and help win when the sky has already been declared as on the way to the ground and the bandwagon fills up anew. I’d love to have a Crosby on our team, but in all honesty, I wouldn’t trade our core group featuring Price and Subban for anyone else’s go to guys. PK is not having the start people hoped for, but again, the Habs patience with him will be rewarded much like it has been with Carey Price. I think people underestimate the value of a Carey Price. He is good enough to enable this team with a good enough supporting cast to do what Brodeur did with a Devils team that had a ‘good enough’ supporting cast – which is win pretty consistently in today’s NHL.,k

• Caballero says:

We do overrate our players consistently. I would say that right now, at this moment there isn’t a single star player on our team. I am sure someone will find a way to disagree, but you need at least one or two top drawer players on your team to win (among other things like grit which we don’t have either). Price and PK are destined for greatness, and they can be a great foundation. In the meantime I feel like all of the forwards are middles. No 1st line, no 4th line.

• G-Man says:

I don’t get the “PK and Price are destined for greatness” schtick. PK has been in a fog all season while Price, after a terrible October, has been good to great.
        I am definitely in “show me” mode, because the team this season has been as disappointing as a served turkey that’s not been cooked.

• dh says:

Good post.

They have not won the cup in a while but watching them go to the ECF, beating the Capitals and the Penquins – complete with whiny Sydney – was great. Not sure if they’re going to win it all until they match the type of team that we have with the type of coach that we have but seeing a team play with the heart that it took to pull that off was exceptional IMO.

35. roubenhead says:

I hold on to things. That is part of my problem. I hold onto grudges, I dwell on petty injustices committed against me, I clutch tightly those insignificant events that better adjusted people have the presence of mind to release from their consciousness. My terrible ability to hold onto these memories, however, is also largely responsible for the fact that I remain a Habs fan to this day. Any logical person will tell you that I shouldn’t be…hell, I haven’t lived in Montreal in twelve years and to be honest the on_ice product just hasn’t been that captivating. Who can forget, though, all those Stanley Cups that were brought home during my formative years? Yes, these sweet, sweet victories left an indelible stamp on me…or so I thought. I had assigned to my heroes Ken Dryden, Larry Robinson, Steve Shutt, and Bob Gainey a status reserved by others only for deities. I was positively obsessed with the Habs and and this fascination lasted a good long while.

I find, dismayingly so, that my interest is waning now. The Montreal Canadiens no longer seem to deserve the amount of time that I spend following their exploits (or lack of them). Don’t get me wrong. I am no better than they are. In fact, I am a crackhead, a thief, a whoremonger, a hypocrite, a liar…basically a person of ill repute. The one thing that I do have going for me however is that I give it all i’ve got every night at work. For that reason and probably that reason alone, my fans have stuck by me despite my obvious shortcomings. So while i can be counted upon to relapse occasionally, i can also be deemed worthy of “leaving it all on the ice” each and every shift. And while i do not have any natural ability at what i do (which is to cook) everyone knows just how much i care about every dish that i send out to our guests. I wear my heart on my sleeve so it is pretty much public knowledge that i am crushed when i undercook a piece of halibut or underseason a salad. I have been known to leave the kitchen in search of dissatisfied guests so that i may offer a genuine apology for a sub-par performance. These types of negative incidents will happen in any business but it is inexcusable when it is the result of a lack of passion or of effort.

My employers and colleagues have seen me at my best and at my worst and have decided that my dedication to the cause justifies their continued allegiance. I think about their loyalty a lot and am very, very grateful for it. At the risk of sounding cocky, though, i feel that i have done my part in earning it. The Habs have not done much recently to earn my continued support. It is time for this storied franchise to stop assuming that past glories will continue to rivet me as a fan and supporter of this once proud organization. My therapist will be very happy to hear that I am just about ready to drop a bad habit.

In the immortal words of legendary broadcaster Danny Gallivan: “Time is becoming a factor.”

• slychard says:

I just finished watching Atonement and Babel, back to back, thought I’d read a few here to lighten the mood before slumber…

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      Kiss my hAbSS!!!

36. nickster13 says:

Ziggy Palffy, now thats a player i miss watching play! What a set of hands!

37. Jon Dean says:

WOW someone has a man crush on Crosby. I’m tired of hearing about Crosby frankly. And I’m sick of reporters who wander into editorials like Ned Flanders into church. I mean is sucking up to the entire team and coach part of your job description? Crosby? Great player but he doesn’t play for the Habs and he doesn’t touch Orr, Gretzky or Lemieux. He shares their work ethic and skill but not their aesthetics.

Against Instigator Rule, New Sticks, and Enlarged Goalie Equipment, Boston Bruins

38. Stooof says:

Last year at this point we were 15-8-1, and finished with 44-30-8. Went 29-22-7 to finish the season with 96 points, good for 6th. This year 10-10-3. Starting worse this year, we must go 34-20-5 to even our last year record. Who sees this happening? Are we a stronger team? I think so, especially with Markov back for the majority of the year, and less guessing on the back end in general with some promising rookies that for the most part will stick around. Up front? technically we should be, but as I have stated I do not believe JM has any clue how to coach an offense. Also, with re to cammy, he is a new dad! maybe the youngster or the new mom is keeping him up late!

• Stooof says:

Correction, with the same games played we were 14-8-1, also went 30-22-7, and I will note, 57-46 was our GF/GA ratio, for +11. This year, 58-56 for a +2. So with that in mind, our offense is clicking as much, but our d is dismally worse, and with good reason. Inexperienced, though talented. In fact I’d say our offense has lots of room to improve as well.

39. The Dude says:

Today we got shot by a Francophone superstar and tomorrow we get machine gunned by a Crosbyphone,yay…..

40. pierre lapuck says:

Can anyone explain to me how today’s loss ws JM ‘s fault? Let’s see he’s got Weber and Diaz added together may be a NHL defenseman but each on his own is a weak player. DD can not take the puck from anyone without being penalized becasue he’s too little and if they skate past him real fast the turbulence casues him to lose his balance, Pleks at the point is the same as the deer in my headlights but who, no SK, no Markov and Campoli, and so on. This teams management needs to bundle a bunch of these almost NHLers and used to be NHLers (read Gomez, Spacek, Darche, Moen, whoever) ok maybe not Moen, but anyway send these somewhere for a centre with hands size and some grit. The team will make him faster. When the defense returns to health the six are Markov, Subban, Campoli, Gill, Gorges, and Emelin a strong group for sure. With three strong centres Pleks, Eller, my new guy and then a fourth of Nolilinen (sp) they can ice threee stronger lines. Then JM can coach from a position of advantage rather than always having to prepare a counter-attack kind of strategy.

• ManApart says:

Really? Eller is a strong center LOL. Maybe for the Danish National Team.

• RGM says:

The team was not mentally prepared to play 60 minutes of hockey. Watch that second period and the compete level. Look how much space they gave the Flyers. Count the number of shots on the three consecutive power plays. Yeah you can assign some blame to the players for their failure to execute, but the coach’s job is to have his charges ready for action and make adjustments in the course of a game if things aren’t clicking.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is our year!
      RGM’s Movember page: http://mobro.co/RGM81

41. j2w4habs25 says:

so if we lose tomorrow against the pens does Jacques lose his job as well?

Carey Price #31

42. Kostitsyn
    White
    Markov
    Spacek
    Campoli

Cammalleri not playing the way we all hoped.

PK Subban playing horrible in his sophomore season.

Gomez not contributing.

What do people expect to happen when you are missing this many NHL players on a team?

It will get better. They will make the playoffs and they will compete for the Cup.

Man it’s absolutely hilarious reading some of these posts. Good job you’re not Leaf fans, you’d be hanging from a tree some where lol.

How do you Halak Me Now haha :)

Shane Oliver
    Brandon, MB,Canada
    R7B 2R7
    hockey@sholi2000.com
    Ph- 204 724 8418

• slychard says:

Hey hey hey, at least we keep an even keel when it comes to complaining.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      Kiss my hAbSS!!!

• ManApart says:

They will compete for the Cup? You’ve got to be kidding. It’s easy to think things are OK, when you stick your head in the sand and ignore reality. They aren’t even close to Cup contenders.

And, those Leaf jokes, don’t work anymore. If you haven’t noticed they are clearly better than the Habs, with even worse injuries. No, now you are going to have to insert Habs instead of Leafs in future jokes.

• RGM says:

It’s going to have to get a lot better for this squad if they are to make the playoffs. They need to string together a strong winning streak to get firmly into the top 8. Yeah it’s still early in the year but as I said a few days ago, there are some disturbing trends with this team that may prove insurmountable on the march to the Cup. I said to the missus yesterday, they sometimes make it very hard to watch them play – how can the same group that showed such resilience against Carolina and battle back to win, be so defeated against the Flyers just two days later? It boggles the mind.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is our year!
      RGM’s Movember page: http://mobro.co/RGM81

• Caballero says:

Part of me hopes they don’t make the playoffs because that’s what it’s going to take for JM and PG to get the axe.

43. slychard says:

Vanier cup turning out into a good game. Laval leads by one early in 4th quarter.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Kiss my hAbSS!!!

Can tomorrow be the last night JM coaches Mtl Canadiens? Can it be the night when the Habs get killed by like 10 goal margin and Molson finally does something more worthy that the piss he calls beer and fires both Martin and Gauthier?

45. Habfan4lfe says:

Here comes another loss, courtesy of Jacques Martin coaching 101.

Hey way to go Mr.Idontreadthenewspaperwatchtvorlistentotheradio guy. Way to play Eller some more!! Subban more on the powerplay good boy Jacques! It’s too bad you sat other players that were needed out there and too bad you relied on that midget Desharnais. Oh well you are not perfect and not the coach for the this but hey, you made some changes people have been saying for month!

What a disaster this guy is.

Here is another tip for you Jacques because I know your so f’ing daft! Get Plekanec off the blueline on powerplays! IT DOESN’T WORK.

Don’t lie to people Jacques we all know you are turning desperate and taking input everywhere. Unfortunately you still need to process the input and have the know how to put the right players on and you my friend haven’t got a clue. Take off and take your million with you.

There is still time to salvage this teams hopes for the playoffs but we have to get rid of this emotionless clown.

46. durocher says:

The Habs only have one player (Pleks) who has more points than MAB.

The Habs should be forced to wear some other jersey before they earn the honor of wearing the true Habs jersey.

• slychard says:

MAB = SPILLED MILK

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      Kiss my hAbSS!!!

• durocher says:

Not saying we should bring him back or that we should have kept him — only to suggest how crappy our offensive production is

• slychard says:

Roger that durocher. Roger wilco.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
          Kiss my hAbSS!!!

• Un Canadien errant says:

Poor use of radio communications there slychard. The word ‘Roger’ is used to indicate “I Received your last transmission and understood it”, it substitutes one capital r word for another for the sake of clarity in case of radio chatter or poor reception, and brevity to keep the airways clear. To add a ‘that’ to it is wrong, as in “Roger that” or “Copy that”, is wrong and defeats the brevity angle. Like the ten-code “10-4″, you don’t add anything to it, like please or thank you, it includes all these polite words. Guys don’t say “Roger that” at work, because Dan, a slightly unhinged frustrated Oiler fan will let them know if they slip up.

As far as ‘Roger Wilco’, you’re also using it erroneously, since the Wilco signifies “I-We Will Comply”, and is only used when you receive directives, as in: “32-Alpha-2, rendez-vous at LZ delayed until 1400 hours. Rendezvous One Four Hundred hours” or “Ladder 31 tower, get in observation position, but do not use the monitor until you get my command”. In these cases, if you have clear established communications with no static or distortion, you may just answer with a “Roger Wilco”, but that usage is falling out of favour, the brevity benefit is overridden by the necessity to confirm the directive by repeating it to the source, so that both/all parties are sure that it is clearly understood and will be acted upon. In your specific case, you are not being given a directive (ie: “Slychard-durocher, Stop replying to my threads in ALL CAPS”), you have nothing to comply with, so your Wilco is at least superfluous, probably confusing, and definitely wrong.

I know you see it used that way all the time in the movies, people are always saying “Roger that” in the cop shows, but don’t perpetuate it. It grates at our eardrums.

———————————
            How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

47. slychard says:

Laval just scored to make it a game in BC.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Kiss my hAbSS!!!

48. stevieray says:

I’ve been a habs fan for a long time . I don’t like this .500 hockey we are now playing given all the high paid players we have . Not much bang for the buck. Besides Price,Gorges and Cole there is a lot to be desired from game to game . Just so inconsistant. If we continue to play like this ,,it will be a long year for us older fans who have followed this team since the mid 50′s

49. HabsFansince49 says:

Based on today (Friday’s) performance, Pittsburgh 15 Habs 0. More to the point and perhaps more realistically, in the last article on Friday’s game, Mike Boone states in a 1 sentence paragraph “Tomas Plekanec can’t play the point”. Those 6 words totally sum up how far this organization has fallen under Gainey and now Gauthier (I know the rot started before them). It’s not Plek’s fault; it is that we have a coach who doesn’t see it. My 2 year old dog could figure that out.

“I don’t hate the man. I believe he should not be the coach”.

50. Say Ash says:

I’m glad Crosby’s back. Also, I hope Emelin puts him into the whites.

51. Le Jadester says:

OK, “The Kid” is “King of the Hockey World” right now.

When are we gonna get a “King of the Hockey World” again wearing the CH ?
    5, 10 20 years from now ?
    Some player that just does whatever he wants out there and wins too ! And everybody knows about it.

Habs, OLE !

• slychard says:

We do, everyday, he scores 5 goals a games at will, breaks Chara’s jaw with one punch (not before taunting him to throw the first one which he shakes off with a laugh) Wins the cup 10 years in a row AND has had a perfect season. No losses, no ties…no SHOOTOUTS! He’s THE best and he’s ME, in my head. Try it sometimes, it’s fun.

Oh, let me warn you though, I’m the only Jim Thorpe type, so don’t be playing in superbowls, world series (with the expos that I now call the Allouettes, don’t ask) Grey cups all in the same year and winning them all. I’m the only one. I also have a few Academy awards.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      Kiss my hAbSS!!!

52. slychard says:

Koharski delayed the game because he was acting like a giddy pre teen groupie? Had I been Koivu I’d a broke my stick across his back!
    EDIT: Oh and that’s quite a pose by Sid!
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Kiss my hAbSS!!!

• Dave Stubbs says:

Koharski also had a photo taken of himself with Devils goalie Marty Brodeur during the March 2009 game in which Brodeur tied Patrick Roy’s NHL record of 551 career regular-season wins. Don’s got a heck of a wall of fame at home…

Dave Stubbs

Hockey Inside/Out
      Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
      • On Twitter: twitter.com/habsinsideout1
      • Email: dstubbs@montrealgazette.com

53. NickDags says:

Of course, its not mentioned in the article that the Habs shutdown Crosby in the playoffs (Where it counts) two years ago. I think he was held to 1 goal in a 7 game series…

54. habs-hampton says:

Watched a little bit of the Sens-Pens game. Did anyone hear that idiot Potvin yapping about Crosby. He and Foligno were pushing and shoving in the crease and Sid throws an elbow at Foligno. Potvin freaks out! “Oh my God, Oh my God!!” If you were listening on radio you would have though Crosby speared Foligno in the eye! Potvin is the worst homer I’ve ever heard.

P.S. Crosby better be careful mixing it up like that, his grace period is almost up.

Time’s up, JM must go!

55. SPATS says:

Looking at that pic, I really wish we still had Koivu.

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH!

56. ProHabs says:

Agreed, agreed – and Julien too.

57. Yes the area is growing……slowly. I like little Brandon, and there are some serious hockey towns in this province.

Shane Oliver
    Brandon, MB,Canada
    R7B 2R7
    hockey@sholi2000.com
    Ph- 204 724 8418

58. Captain aHab says:

TAKE IT BACK OR JM WILL WRITE YOUR NAME IN HIS NOTEBOOK!