At least it’s a white Christmas

KabWinn
The Canadiens flew back from Winnipeg to a snow in Montreal.
The team is off until Boxing Day, but the fans won’t be off their case after five straight regulation-time losses.
That hasn’t happened since October, 2009 – Jacques Martin’s third through seventh games behind the bench.

Pat Hickey’s game story

Quotes from the room

Language hawks plan protest

Pierre Ladouceur’s game report card

Canadiens not tough enough?

Maybe they need Luis Moreno

1. montreal ace says:

When PG fired Pearn, I thought it was strange with the timing being before a game. He made JM look very weak there, and it was foolish.
    I think that JM backs people to the wall and really could not work with PG after this. I did not want JM replaced and I attribute this whole mess to PG. I think changes to management have to take place, but I dont like the way its happening. PG bet on some things that have not turned out well, and seems to me has lashed out. I was not crazy about some of the ways JM had as a coach but I thought he was a good one. I think the personal relationship between PG and JM has hurt this club, and I detest both of them for allowing their discord to hurt the Habs.

2. TomNickle says:

The present day Habs are terrible. The long term Habs look like a nice core. Assuming that development goes modestly as planned. This would be what to expect.

Desharnais, Eller, Leblanc, Gallagher, Avtsin, Pacioretty, Kostitsyn, Subban, Gorges, Beaulieu, Emelin, Tinordi and Price.

This is all provided that Gorges and Kostitsyn are kept. But present day struggles don’t mean a dark future. That’s taking it too far.

Does this team have present day and long term holes? Yes. But there isn’t an organization in any professional sport that doesn’t.

• coty5mel says:

Great outlook. I wish more people would think like this – but we all know that being in Montreal makes that impossible!!

• 123456 says:

the problem is there are always prospects but its keeping and developing the right ones while adding the right vet’s at the right time.

time will tell – i am generally positive but cammy and gomez need to go asap – use their money in other ways…

• Bripro says:

As long as everyone is willing to be patient and wait (another) couple of years.
      But I like your lineup. Better than today’s.

3. tony d says:

Any truth to the rumour that instead of coal, Santa will be putting Habs jerseys in bad kids stockings?

Wanted, bilingual coach, experience not necessary, will train.
    Contact: wingnprayer@canadiens.com

4. Bugs says:

Good golly, I take off for two shakes of a lamb’s tail and when I get back, it’s to find the place has gone completely to hell.
    Listen folks, believe it or not, I won’t always be around to make some kind of sense of the proceedings and help us all find some measure of comfort as we strive to maintain the even keel, but that doesn’t give anyone a license to take their eye off the prize just because I ain’t around, fer gosh’s sakes.
    Whatasamatta with youse?
    Very, very disappointed. Very disappointed. What, FIVE games in a row? C’mon, man.
    C’mon.
    (exasperated sigh)
    Ok, I’m back now. Everything’s gonna be ok. Where do we start?
    Somebody gimme the lowdown.

Back from the Brink’s boasts L. B. Potter, esq.

• GrimJim says:

Okay bug’s here’s your to-do list:
      You need to heal the rift between Seriousfan and hickey
      You need to find Ian Cobb’s optimism
      You need to put the head coach / language debate in context
      You need to solve the GM / competency argument definitely
      You need to rescue PK and Eller from the hounds of hot dog hell
      You need to rescue Cammy Gionta and the vets from the chasms of complatency (or non-confidence)
      In fact you need to define whether the vets are suffering from complatency or from self-doubt
      You need to rescue the team from the dungeons of drafting debacles

Oh yeah, a win would be good too.

• Mad Habber says:

If bugs can produce 10-12 wins in the next 15 or so games, some of those can be overlooked.

• Bugs says:

Yahoo bein incendiary to the point Hickey snapped? No way. Must be some misunderstanding.
        Sadly, Mr.Ian is a repeat bandwagon hopper-offer. Not surprised. But rejoice, he’ll be singin the team’s praises once they climb back into contention. And that forthwith.
        Language context is they weren’t expecting Jack Marty to get canned so soon. (That’s why Therrien seems to be pronouncing himself more, no? Roy too, for that matter) Didn’t have proper plan in place. No matter intentions or circumstances, it WILL create a bad vibe and the players’ll feel it. To their credit, they DID call Cunneyworth “interim” which might allay the issue, but not long with losses pilin up. If we won every game, you could hire a Swahili fellow and we wouldn’t boo twice, not hire someone and then promise to win. Which is the argument we frenchies hear all the time, that we would rather stay french and lose then become english and win, as if THAT was a fait accompli. We’ll see.
        The guy’s not incompetent, just not competent enough.
        Soobie was playin like nonchalant crap and Eller, for all his “hard work”, doesn’t produce jack-squat. They’re on their own. If they got game, shouldn’t be anything to worry about.
        I am at a total loss for Gio. Is he injured as well?
        That’s what I think they’re suffering from, injuries.
        In my opinion, those producing should be getting maximum ice-time.
        Pleky, Dezzy, Pac-Man, Cole, Andrei and a top-6 player to be named as events dictate.

Back from the Brink’s boasts L. B. Potter, esq.

5. sackabooboo says:

Here are my observations.
    1) weeks ago, we supposedly had a great room. great guys. Liked playing for each other. I read somewhere that Erik Cole said it was the best room he had seen in hockey.
    2) Gauthier keeps the Markov issue away from coach and team. Blindsided everyone who was anticipating his return. Classless is what I assume the players thought that move was.
    3) Gauthier trades Spacek, who was well liked. Just before Christmas. Classess is what I assume the players thought that move was.
    4) Gauthier fires Martin on a game day. There is no plan there. And fires him just before a long road trip, giving Cunneyworth no time to work with the team. Classless is what I assume the players thought that move was.

We all feel that Gauthier is the problem. And I think that those issues are the cause of this recent slide. The players have lost confidence. They no longer beleive that management believes in them. And while they should all take pride in the fact that they are all making MILLIONS doing what they love, they aren’t. The team is not as bad as they are playing. They can’t be.

_______________________________________________________
    Why does something I have no control over have so much control over me….

6. j2w4habs25 says:

5 straight games? Something is very wrong.

Carey Price #31

• ManApart says:

It has been for a number of years. It’s only now really starting to show. Gainey and Gauthier, pure and simple.

• mount royal says:

Someone should tell Toronto about the terrific pool of English speaking coaches; they have the most resources of any team in hockey and still haven’t won a cup in over 40 years.
      Someone should tell Toronto that its all about winning. Their arena has been sold out for years… for a losing team. Maybe its also about community and the love of the game. Maybe that’s why Winnipeg sold out before thay won a single game. In Canada, these privately owned teams are considered to be commuity assets. So, just maybe , language counts.
      Somebody shpuld explain why, with such a shallow pool of French-speaking coaches, the two finalists last year were coached by francophones. And, someone should explian to me how it is that so many unilingual anglos still know what’s best for the francophone community.

• Habsssssssswin says:

Not for JM. He’s whistling all the way to the bank with his $1M firing bonus. Leaving behind his legacy of boring defensive hockey c/w No emotions. No desire. No passion.

FIRE EVERYBODY!

Just kidding ….. We’ll figure it out !!!

Merry Christmas everyone

7. jmsheehy19 says:

A question for SeriousFan09 or anyone that follows our prospects closely. How many of our D prospects have a good chance to make the NHL?

Beaulieu, Tinordi, Ellis, Patyern, Nash, Dietz, …?

• WestHab says:

I believe Robert is not here any more you can find him on twitter under the same name.

• ManApart says:

What happened to Robert? Why isn’t he here anymore?

• GrimJim says:

Ethical disagreement with Hickey’s article on Fleury

• Boomer says:

so does this mean no more updates on our prospects?

Boom baby!

• ManApart says:

I don’t like to jump into the highly charged world of ethics, but isn’t Robert taking things a little too far? I didn’t really get into reading all the fall-out from that article, but obviously know he struck a chord. I think it was pretty much a concensus that Hickey was coming from a place of ignorance on the issue and definately lacked sensitivity.

I don’t know if he retracted or apologized on his stance, but even if he didn’t, maybe we should all just agree it was an ignorant article and leave it at that. No need to get overly excited in my opinion. Even though I disagreed with Robert’s overly optimistic and simplistic view on everything Habs, I still appreciated his enthusiasm and enjoyed his prospect reports. I hope he returns. If anyone speaks to him, tell him ManApart says, stop being crazy and come back to Habs land. Now is a time when we need that optimistic viewpoint!

• GrimJim says:

@boomer
            Robert’s doing his weekly reports at allhabs.com

@ManApart
            I hope he comes back as well, and optimism is definitely in short supply around here, but he has to do what feels right to him.

• Jocko says:

I also did not read about it all, but I do recall reading Fleury felt it was out of line and was looking for Hickey’s head. So, Mr Hickey, not sure what you may have said to rectify things, but why not make a pitch to Seriousfan and ask him to come back. Really loved his reports, thorough and well done.

To everypone at Christmas time, Merry Christmas. The tie that binds us is the love for “Le Club du Hockey Canadiens”, and here’s to the Habs and the greatest fans on the face of the planet!

I don’t want to see Maurice tonight, I want to see The Rocket!

• jmsheehy19 says:

Well that sucks, loved his stuff. I’ll catch it on th new site I suppose

• 24 Cups says:

Beaulieu, after that it’s a bit of a crap shoot.

It wasn’t that long ago that the Habs were overbrimming with defensive prospects and then the cupboard went bare.

The next wave brought Subban, Emelin and Diaz, so a couple more would be great.

Regardless of who they might be, they will all need some quality time in Hamilton. Dmen take a bit longer to develop, especially the tall ones like Tinordi.

• podbay says:

And that pretty much sums up the Habs of the past few years: draft players that take AGES to develop. God forbid Gauthier should pick anyone who might actually be able to skate in the NHL within 1-2 years of being drafted.

• Mad Habber says:

Hard to do that unless you are picking in the top ten.

2009 MTL picked Louis Leblanc (18th) after him only three guys have had any impact so far:

24th WAS Marcus Johansson GP: 100 G: 19 :A 26 PTs:45
          33rd COL Ryan O’Reilly GP: 190 G: 28 A: 47 PTs: 75
          35th LAK Kyle Clifford GP: 110 G: 8 A: 10 PTs: 18

2010 MTL Jared Tinordi nobody has made an impact in the NHL after him.

They picked Nathan Beaulieu and nobody picked behind him has made any impact either. So it’s not like that is the only contributing to the teams current prefromance.

• TomNickle says:

Steve. That’s an overly pessimistic view of the Habs prospects on defense.

Mac Bennett has been a scoring machine with the Wolverines. Jarred Tinordi is widely recognized as a top five OHL defenseman, Morgan Ellis has been one of the QMJHL’s best two way defensemen for three years.

Those three alone have an above average chance of making the NHL. Tinordi is, in my mind, a certainty.

Look at it this way. The additions of Tinordi and Beaulieu alone would give us Subban, Emelin, Tinordi, Beaulieu and Gorges long term.

• jmsheehy19 says:

Yeah I had heard good things about a lot of them, that’s why I was asking. If they all keep it up and progress, we should be able to flip some for some offensive prospects.

Assuming Subban, Emelin, and Gorges are with us long term, and Beaulieu is a lock, then that leaves just 2 spots for Diaz, Weber, Tinordi, Ellis, Dietz, Pateyrn, Bennett, and Nash.

Even if only 3 of those fill their potential, we’re set on D.

• Boomer says:

Beaulieu has a good chance, tinordi could but it’ll be a few years, everyone else needs to make big strides to make it (but never say never).

Boom baby!

8. Dr.Rex says:

Also benching PK and Eller (although they have struggled) is just a cop out by Cunney. It really should be Cammy and Campoli/Gill sitting for one game. This shows the Cunney does not control the room and that he lacks teh guts to make a real statement.

• Ian Cobb says:

I can sure tell more about you, than you have any idea about how Cunny works!

• 123456 says:

i agree with sitting PK = his recent mistake3s have cost the habs goals and they have bene “lazy” plays….. as opposed to making a mistake from trying too hard. PK needs to know he is NOT a superstar (hopefully he will become one)

eller is tough – i read all this great stuff about him but at the end of the day i see 3 goals in 33 games this season..

• PureGuava says:

Playing third line minutes with a revolving door of the wrong wingers. If he was centering Cole and Pac it would be the best line in hockey.

“Of course I’m crazy, but that doesn’t mean I’m wrong.”
        - Robert Anton Wilson

• 123456 says:

you have a valid point – when i watch eller i see someone who may become a great player….. but he should be getting more results regardless of who he plays with.

• stevieray says:

Struggled …..!!! that’s putting things lightly.. I thought it was a Bold move and agreed with RC …

• Habfan10912 says:

I agree with Ian and Stevieray but its unfortunate the whole team minus Price couldn’t be benched. Yuck!

• stevieray says:

That is the truth for sure …I just hope we can keep him …but I’m figuring it’s 50/50 at this point . Won’t surprise me if he doesn’t sign at year end ..especialy if a nice big offer sheet arrives that the habs can’t match… due there mismanagement of the salary cap ..

• ManApart says:

The benching wasn’t just about PK and Eller, it was supposed to be a message to the team about accountability. They didn’t seem to have heard it.

9. Dr.Rex says:

A few observations from the stands last night.

1) Cammalleri was having issues stickhandling the puck in warm up and took a few weak shots which missed more often then not.
    2) There was absoulutely no movement on the habs bench all game, TEh JEts bench was alive from the start. ONce I thought I saw a hab player show some life but it turned out he was just sipping his water.
    3) The Jets seemed to feel sorry for CUnney and really took their foot off the gas midway through the 2nd period. Thank goodness or it couldve got real ugly.
    4) I think I saw Pleakanec touch the puck once on the PP at the side of the Jets net but I have yet to confirm this.
    5) NOt once did I get off my seat thinking the Habs might score. I really cant think of any legitimate scoring chances although I did miss the first 35 seconds in the 2nd period so it is possible that I missed alot of chances in that time frame.
    6) With the vets not trying it is forcing our role players to try harder and this extra responsiblity clearly exposes their weaknesses. GIll was clearly exposed along with Darche and Blunden, Campoli, Diaz, Weber and well the list goes on. Also although COle is not a role player the 100% effort he is playing with is getting him in the line of fire each shift and is taking some chances with his head down which is risky moving forward. It seems like he is trying to spark plug the team on every shift but he just isant getting any help. Desharnais did not look good in person, hopefully that was just a one time thing but geez he was slow motion and seem to stunble over the puck every time.
    7) After witnessing Roy’s last game with standing room tix in Dec 95 I never thought I could be more dissappointed and pissed off then I was that night. However after last nights game I was. Just a sad group of millionaires who have lost their pride somewhere along the way. The CH is what I love and these players are disrespecting this franchise.

I do not mind losing games until these players relearn how to play real two way hockey again. The offense and creative play making had been eradicated from their game over the past 3 years. It will take time for them to start playing offense with tic tac toe perfection with each other again.

Thank Gawd the other style of 5 defense first era is over. It will take time to get them all playing the way the game was meant to be played again.

I will stick with Cunny as he gets this team turned around. And I believe he will.

The pressure on him must be atrocious. I just hate the people that use a political language issue to score marks for their own bigoted and selfish agenda. Cut him some slack and let the man do his best for us all.!

11. JohnBellyful says:

Happy Christmas and Merry New Year!
    :) (pic of Santa in his younger days)

– “A little song, a little dance, a little egg nog down your pants.” –

12. RGM says:

The vetoed trade with Tampa Bay was brought up earlier. It was to be Price + Plekanec + an unnamed prospect for Lecavalier. http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/31155-Sources-Lightning-sale-could-be-complete-by-end-of-weekend-Bettman-blocked-Lecavalier-trade.html
    “Sources say there was a deal in place last June to trade Lecavalier to the Montreal Canadiens for goalie Carey Price, center Tomas Plekanec and a prospect, but the deal was blocked by Bettman after Barrie refused to approve the deal. That caused a rift between Barrie and Koules that continued to fester and, combined with the financial problems both owners were having, put the Lightning in a state of flux.”

———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
    Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• VancouverHab says:

Well, that is a debatable trade but it doesn’t mean Gainey is an idiot — he had Halak, and I would trade Pleks for Lecavalier — or, I would have back then.

And the masses were shrieking for Gainey to make a trade for a francophone superstar and now the masses are shrieking for Gainey’s head for attempting that trade–which is everything we need to know about the masses.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Different masses though.

• RGM says:

It would have been one hell of a shock to the system of the team if it had gone through. While it is always impossible to predict “what could have been” imagine how differently the 2009-10 seasons for both clubs may have panned out.

———————–
        GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
        Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• 24moreCups says:

That deal would of worked well.. in Tampa’s favor.

• Habfan10912 says:

Pleks is playing out of his place. IMO he is NOT a #1 center but still a very good player if used as a 2 and penalty killer. Price, well he is the player this team needs to be built around. That trade would have been a disaster for us. If its true that Bettman did veto it, itss the only right decision I can recall he has made as commissioner.

13. JohnBellyful says:

Here are my line combinations for the next game:
    Tired – Overwhelmed – Listless
    Invisible – Exhausted – Dispirited
    Passive – Inexperienced – Aimless
    Mediocre – Nondescript – Gritless

You noticed I sat out Underachieving who, I expect, will be replaced by Hopeless when his injury heals. I’m really hoping PG calls up HasBeen and NeverWas to light a fire under the team.

14. Bripro says:

I have the solution for a hockey coach who will satisfy everyone!

All the best for the holidays and may 2012 bring you everything you want.

15. Moose says:

I found this from a habs fan site.

Fans Top 10 List for Upgrading Habs: All I Want for Christmas…

10. Less vertically challenged players.
    9. No more games with Chris Lee as a referee. Ever.
    8. A team that shows up every so often. Or we can get the Hulk to beat up opposing goalies. Unless Miller is in net.
    7. A team with testicular fortitude.
    6. That Russian guy, the defenseman. What was his name again? He was really good. He wore #70-something…
    5. A Rosetta Stone package for Randy Cunneyworth.
    4. The league to allow Carey Price to have his lasso by his water bottle for one game so he can rope the next teammate who screws up.
    3. The league to allow Carey Price to have his lasso by his water bottle for one game so he can rope the next teammate who screws up.
    2. All the Habs to get the mutant healing powers of Max Pacioretty.
    1. The opposite of what Pierre Gauthier wants.

16. Habsssssssswin says:

Benching P.K. Subban stinks !! … He plays hard every game. We need 23 more like him. Not a team of overpaid primadonnas who just appear to not care anymore. Lambert, Tremblay and Riseborough. Now that was a line that worked hard and cared more.
    You have the talent to beat any team on any given night. What you lack is desire and a good work ethic. Wake up, play hard and be proud that you’re Canadiens !

• Timo says:

Yet there is no one in the media to ask our vets the question as to why they allow themselves to do eff all and not bother putting any effort. Not a single one of the fierce Mtl media will ask them that to their face. Talk about complacent and comfortable.

• stevieray says:

I also find it ironic that the same media who did not ask those hard questions during post game interviews are now on their high horse and demanding a French coach …..must be nice to be able to pick and choose

• Norm0770 says:

Have you watched PK play lately? More turnovers than a pastry shop. The turnovers are not from being pressured but from making ridiculous plays. I agree the effort is there but he should be making the easier play.

17. boonie says:

Does any recall what, if any, protestations occurred when the Nords hired Marc Crawford?

He was an English speaking head coach with no NHL coaching experience hired in an even more French-speaking part of the province?

18. LA Loyalist says:

Merry Christmas to all Habs posters.

When I have feuded, or sounded deluded, it was in good faith and for the common cause.

Hoist a cold beer, or a fine glass of grog. May your skates be as sharp as your tongues. :-)

Merry Christmas! Go Habs!

19. VancouverHab says:

CBC’s Elliotte Friedman relays reports that the Molsons are appealing to Bob Gainey to return.

That would be Very Good News if true: unpopular among the multitudes here, but the multitudes here are, though wise in their own eyes, wrong–Wrong, Wrong, Wrong.

• Timo says:

Bob Gainey’s doings are on display in front of us this season. I have nothing against the man, but he is a terrible GM and should be shown the door.

• kholdstare says:

Incredible, that is the right attitude just directed at the wrong man. I don’t know how you guys blame BG for PG’s moves. I don’t believe in the whole puppet master thing either. Some of Bob Gaineys moves are on display, but most of them are hurt, and his brilliance is now the heart and soul of the team.

• Habfan4lfe says:

See you know nothing buddy. Timo is absolutely right. You think PG has made these trades? He’s a figurehead for you guys to bash. BG is the one advising him on who to get. PG is signing papers. BG as coach is a step backwards not forwards. This team is a mess because of him and PG.

• kholdstare says:

Haha its towel boy!! Hey man how is it going? You know lots though eh? about specialized towels and so on and so forth. Wicked post yet again thanks for that. Lol get a life. Oh and I said I didnt believe the puppetmaster thing if you actually cared to read the post.

I meant to tell you could make a movie like Adam Sandler’s Waterboy, but you could do yours based on towels and how they have special dentist ones, and astronaut ones. That some high quality COtton!!! Not as funny as h20000 but we can work on it.

• habs03 says:

Ya, it was reported on radio that he joined the team in the Winnipeg last night. I think its just for guidance, for RC and some of the players.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Bob Gainey had his good and bad points, made some good and bad decisions.

Overall one has to admit that his first team was a lot better than this one. Also, unlike Gauthier, Gainey faced the music with the media.

But bringing him back now would be another panic move.

And if that doesn’t scare you: Gomez for McDonaugh.

• LA Loyalist says:

I’d do that trade in a heart beat. Send us McDonaugh, we’ll send them Gomez. Wish I’d thought of that!

• Timo says:

Yeah, I think he meant it as an example of Gainey’s brilliance.

But you’re being cynical… i see… nevermind me then.

• Ton says:

timo it would only be temporary, bob will not want to stay beyond the year………no better move to offset the radical french movement that will protest in days ahead> an englishman that speaks french! love it, its ok Timo calm yourself…..

• boonie says:

Few GMs are great, very few are consistently great. Most have good and bad moves on their record. Gainey WAS better than most. He moved on and it’s time the Habs do too.

Also, I respect Gainey as person, captain, and leader. I don’t respect Gauthier. Got to wonder how much his charges respect him. It sucks to work for an organization/leader you don’t respect.

• VancouverHab says:

Fair point about it seeming like panic, but I have to hold my hand up and say that I think Gainey is great. I’m assuming that he left for personal reasons, so he wouldn’t be fully motivated long-term if he did come back, so that does pour cold water on my hopefulness.

Gomez for McDonaugh? Well, as you know, I radically disagree with the (majority, it must be said) Gomez-haters. He’s still at a prime, he still has absolutely elite skating, passing, on-ice vision and Stanley Cup-winning maturity & nous, and his micro-stats (cf. “Moneyball”) are very strong. In principle, he could unite with elite wingers in the NHL and be a massive force.

That’s my view.

And about McDonaugh, well every GM in NHL history — great and small — has made trades that include prospects who turn out to be serious players, so using McDonaugh’s success as a proof against Gainey is really cheating. (Go watch the South Park “Captain Hindsight” clip again ;–)

IMHO ….

• GuyDoon says:

At the time the trade was made, I heard from a relative of an ex-Hab that NYR wanted Subban. Gainey wouldn’t. He made the trade with a package of Valetenko and McDonaugh. At the time, Valetenko was in Russia and McDonaugh was not playing very well in the US college league. I still didn’t like the deal then, even if we were told it was the cornerstone deal to getting Gio and Cammalleri. I didn’t like the contracts on those two either, but liked the players. Then again, we all heard that it’s easy to move contracts later…. :)
        Take it easy everyone, and have yourselves a Merry little Christmas and all the best for the new year. namaste

• PrimeTime says:

I agree BG should get involved to find a replacement for PG but I doubt he would want to stay on any longer.

• MasterHab says:

No it isn’t good news.

First of all, why would Gainey need to come back in the first place? He never left! You should have to go before you can come back. In any case I fail to see how “bringing back” the guy who basically created this mess can be construed as “good news”.

This is a panice move on Molson’s part and it has nothing whatsoever to do with building a winner in the long-term. It is solely about protecting playoff profits. Gainey will come back and his mandate will be to get the team into 8th place by whatever means necessary. So the future will be mortgaged in order to fulfill a short-term goal and the next decade will become an even bigger rhymes-with-spit-show than the last.

Molson needs to accept the fact that this season is over. There will be no Festivus miracle. The only thing he should allow his GM to do from now until the end of the season when a new GM is appointed is to jettison as many expensive contracts as possible as quickly as possible. They should absolutely not take on any additional salary in a pathetic attempt to make the post-season. Playoff appearances are meaningless when you have no chance to win anything more than a round. If you aren’t a Cup contender (and they aren’t) you may as well start gutting the team and let your new GM start with a clean slate.

But an approach like that displays too much vision for this franchise. They are way too short-sighted to attempt it.

20. Hammer says:

Great to see that the Habs made PK the sacirficial lamb last night. Lay the crap on a 22 yr old who plays 27-30 minutes a night and shows a willingness and zest that the ” Vets” and I say that lightly who make 5 times as much have not shown all year. They also say that he rubs the ” Vets’ the wrong way. Sure he would, he has life, zip and character and a flair that none of them have. The ” Vets” should be embarassed, they have not earned their cheques on 70% of the games this year. Yet, PK makes mistakes and off to the pressbox he goes for a game. I hope he was not put there to take heed of how the ” Vets” play the game. They stink!! He should be supplanted in no particular order by #13,#14,#46, # 75, #26 on and on.
    I hope folks will now realize that JM gave it 110% and was able to get out of those overpaid hacks what not many others could. You can now imagine the results if JM would have staryed too much from the system he used. Watching Cammy and Pleks wave their sticks like my 2 yr old waves her wand when playing cinderella is pathetic. Merry Xmas!!

• Ian Cobb says:

PK was playing very poorly and was sat. I love the kid, but it was necessary and a good move! Tough love is the way to go.

• Ton says:

I like you, you know your hockey, he needed to brought down a level like last year. the kid will rebound!

• theox_8 says:

probably necessary yes, to face the media like he did shows some character though, you dont see cammalleri facing the media like ever. This team is making me negative thank god the wjc is on I went to a game in halifax back when upshall was the captain , it was the best hockey I have ever seen in my life

• theox_8 says:

couldnt agree with you more. If we had a team full of Hall Gill’s and Brian Gionta’s we would have the most boring franchise on the planet. On a bright note Brendan Gallagher is an excellent hockey player with tons of character.

• PrimeTime says:

The young stars need to learn some lessons to develop. The “Vets” are not the teams future.

21. habsonly says:

Merry Christmas everyone, Joyeux Noel.

I hope Santa is good to you all and yours!

I hope Santa has some interesting surprises under the tree for the Habs as well!

Cheers! and GO HABS GO !!!

22. kholdstare says:

So we no longer have JM to rip on, it isnt that much fun ripping on PG, so everyone seems to be blaming Bob Gainey. Granted much of this team is his doing, I dont follow the train of thought. It’s like blaming the Milk for being spilled. Sure he built what he thought would be a competitive team, and it has been for the most part, but everyone seems to operate here with a great deal of hindsight. He could of traded for Crosby and Ovechkin in exchange for Juha Lind, and Brian Savage, I wasnt sure what he was thinking there either. It’s crazy to be blaming a past GM today for a 5 game losing streak. That essential same group of players made it to the Eastern conference finals. They arent producing, the coach got handed a lemon, and he doesnt have the sugar to make lemonade. It has very little to do with Bob Gainey.

23. nellis13 says:

anyone missing gomez yet?

MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL FROM IAN

SANTA IS A CANADIAN

25. PrimeTime says:

Geoff Molson has to look at the Club’s future and the PR problem as two separate issues. IMO he can’t ignore the French Nationalists who are using his team to serve their own agenda but he doesn’t need to pander to their demands either.

1. Molson needs to take a look at PG and decide if he is the right GM moving forward. PG has made some good and poor decisions……fans can argue these points. But Molson is the only one who will make the determination who and what is best for his club. Whoever he decides is best man for the job should be have experience in building a winner in the role as GM or someone closely involved in doing so. Sorry media and fanatics….that doesn’t include you!

2. Hire a qualified Francophone PR rep to manage the media and the brand. Someone with experience with Quebec political issues who knows how to spin the positives and deflect the bs.

Winning solves all issues. Have the best man who can best perform the task and let the professionals manage the brand.

26. HabFanSince72 says:

Can those many among you who believe the Habs problem is the “language thing” explain, using only logical and coherent arguments, backed by empirical evidence, how that is?

Please explain the role of the “French language nonsense” in (1) our lack of a cup since 1993, and (2) our current losing streak.

Thank you.

• CanadienBoy says:

GM could had avoid all that by hiring Therein really why not

• prankstergod says:

I think for most the concern isn’t that the language issue is THE problem for the habs, but a contributing factor. By limiting the pool of potential coaching candidates to French Canadians, the probability of hiring the best possible coach is reduced. That’s not to say that it can’t happen – the best coach available at a given time may in fact be French Canadian, but the probability is that the best coach lies elsewhere. From there the argument is that by limiting the search and reducing the talent pool, the habs are put at a competitive disadvantage. this is especially problematic now, considering how competitive this 30 team league is and the difficulty we already seem to have in attracting free agents, etc. for me, i think the best coach should hired regardless of language, but that they should be expected to learn it quickly.

• CanadienBoy says:

Last night they were saying how well Hitchcock has adjust and grown as a coach,to the point of texting and sending pic of best play to players phone

• prankstergod says:

good coaches will find a way to communicate to the players and hitch seems like a good one, though he seems to have a short shelf life. ultimately the job of the coach is to communicate with the players and for the nhl the predominate language is english. talking with the media is a secondary concern, though i do think any coach hired should make the effort and want to learn french. i just think that casting the net far and wide is more likely to produce the best candidate, then go from there.

27. Chrisadiens says:

Ya know, it just hit me. Bob Gainey was actually a bad GM. He traded Price, Plex and someone else (can’t remember) for Vinny a couple of years ago, but Bettman vetoed the trade. Can u imagine if that had gone through? Add the panic rebuild and the Gomez trade and things look awful for Bob.

He did bring the franchise back to some glory, but his panic moves and awful trades are hard to defend. I don’t know why it took me so long to get this…

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

28. who cares any more says:

Dear Santa Bettman,

It may be a bit late, but here’s my request anyway. Please install a team in Quebec City asap, so my non-linguistic Habs can get free of all this crap. Let QC have all the language issues. Let the Habs get back to painting the Sistine chapel with a bit more than just a bucket of whitewash.

And oh yeah. Let Quebec have Patrick Roy for a coach so I don’t have to have this recurring nightmare any longer, the one where the self-centred whiner stands behind the Habs bench with a spotlight shining on him.

definition of insanity: keep doing same thing expecting a different result

29. HabFanSince72 says:

I wouldn’t feel too sorry for Cunneyworth. Yes he is being treated very shabbily by a significant portion of the French media, many of whom ought to be ashamed.

However:

1. There are only 30 coaching jobs in the NHL. He’s been given one despite having no experience at the level. He is fortunate.

2. The average NHL coach salary is $1M/yr.

3. He was the powerplay coach this year. You get promoted after that colossal display of incompetence no one should feel too sorry for you.

I don’t know why everyone assumes Cunneyworth is a good coach. If he was French you’d all be saying he only got the job because of language. Well, he only got the job because he happened to be in the right place at the right time.

30. Habitall says:

Listened to the audio. Love Price’s compete, but I also love Cammy’s frankness. He doesn’t talk in empty cliches, but says what’s on his mind, like a Brett Hull or Jeremy Roenick. And what he has to say is true. “Keep It Simple Stupid” is a temporary way to maybe get out of a slump, but only if you have the quality. You can chip the puck off the glass rather than making a pass, you can dump and chase, but at the end of the day, you still need to score more goals than your opponent. A team like current Habs has to be creative to win against bigger and equally or more talented competition.

Maybe Cammy will be the next one traded, and if so I hope we get a good return for him. Because this guy is not done as a goal scorer.

• TomNickle says:

Problem I have with Cammalleri is that it’s all been empty words from him. He did bring effort for about half of the game last night. But that isn’t good enough if you’re going to run your mouth.

• Habitall says:

Just a thought. Maybe a team doesn’t need to have every player a heart and soul guy who gives 110% every game. If Cammalleri played to his potential, he’s a 35-40 goal scorer. Those guys are hard to come by. If he’s a bit of a floater, a bit streaky, doesn’t back check as much as everyone else on the team, couldn’t a decent team factor that into their game plan, allowing for the fact that his talent means he delivers the numbers?

Not that I’m comparing in the ultimate sense, but I don’t remember seeing Guy Lafleur outhustling a Doug Riseborough. Some players bring only offense to the table …

• TomNickle says:

No, but Lafleur, and guys like him, actually did skate when they got opportunities. Cammalleri’s been going at half speed for half of the season. That isn’t good enough regardless of what your role is.

• G-Man says:

I remember Guy being one of the team’s fastest skaters. Risebrough looked like he was hustling in comparison because of his foot speed. Completely different style of players, though.

• Habitall says:

He was a fast skater, but his momentum was mainly in one direction. No one would mistake him for a two-way player.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Guy Lafleur was both the best and the hardest working player on the ice in his heyday (1975-1980). Every night.

• Habitall says:

Are you saying he WAS a two-way player, or a tenacious and consistent forechecker?

• Ton says:

I like how others view players by history books!! You have obviously seen him, in today’s standards Guy was an excellent two way hockey player, worked dam hard every night. watch the taps what a great hockey he was, he could see the entire ice from the right side he could have been a great centerman as well!

• Ton says:

yes he was a great forechecker and many of his goals were scored on giveaways he created.

• Strummer says:

Bowman didn’t allow 1-dimensional players.
            He turned Lemaire into a 2-way player for F sakes!

______________________________________________________

• Habitall says:

Don’t get me wrong – I loved Guy, saw him play lots, but in my view he was pure offense. Nothing wrong with that if you can deliver, which he did, consistently.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Cammalleri is obviously in a slump. You can tell he’s lost confidence because he often passes when he should shoot.

I agree that he is not done. Hopefully we don’t trade him.

• LA Loyalist says:

I like Cammi a lot, and I don’t know what is going on with him, but LA would take him in a heartbeat, they are just not scoring. (not as bad as us, but still…)

Who would you guys like from LA? (And don’t say Penner :-))

• TomNickle says:

For Cammalleri?

Jack Johnson or Dustin Brown and neither of those guys are leaving.

• LA Loyalist says:

Yes, for Cammi. Of course we’re not getting JJ or DB, but they have a lot of good kids (and I think a Darryl Sutter to coach such a young team is going to be a disaster – what do you think?)

I really wanted to go to the Ducks / Kings game last night but just couldn’t do it, but I’m sure I will see them practice over the holidays.

• jmsheehy19 says:

I know it would take overpaying, but Dustin Brown would be amazing.

31. Moose says:

I Want A Hippopotamus For Christmas

32. habsnyc says:

Anyone with a multiyear contract is not tradeable during the season, except to a team in stupid panic mode with a lame duck GM. Montreal was the sucker that took Kaberle, no one is going to take Gionta, Gomez or Cammalleri at the deadline. Moen, Gil, Kostitsyn could bring a young player or a pick but they are role players not superstars. In the offseason, more can be accomplished.

Ever since Gainey arrived, long term contracts have gone to guys over 30 and one year contracts have gone to the young players. So the team has been locked into fading veterans and churned its youth. Only a fool runs a team where its biggest liabilities are signed forever and its biggest asset is on a short term contract.

two weeks ago this team was ranked 6th in 5 on 5 goals for/against ration. now it is ranked 16th. it has gone from outscoring its opponents at full strength to meaningfully being outscored. someone here hurled a plethora of insults at me two weeks ago for suggesting that the offense was not that good. i would advise that person to keep their mouth shut for a while.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• sheds88 says:

and when we start scoring again they will tell you to keep YOUR mouth shut for a while.

_______________________________________________________________________
      i don’t know why they keep comparing Carey Price to God………i mean he’s good, but he’s no Carey Price.

33. HabNut69 says:

I hope that RC has a peaceful Xmas and is able to get away from the media and fan scrutiny for a while. Unfortunate that it’ll only be a temporary break from it.

This is going to be a long season, lots more losses and difficulty generating offense and likely we will miss the playoffs, but b/c we are the Montreal Canadiens, we will just manage to be good enough to avoid a top 15 draft choice. With new management in place next year we will likely continue to “build” a contender the same way we have for the last 20 years, by temporarily patching holes with players who are past their prime and making panic trades – and every 3 to 5 years we will of course “clean house” management-wise.

Respectfully, unless Mr. Molson chooses to do things differently – ignore the fans, the media and Quebec politicians and look for the right hockey people to run the team we are doomed to witness many more years of mediocrity. The Habs Nation will never allow the team to “tank” just to secure top draft choices, and with most GM’s today too shrewd to trade away their 1st round picks (even if we had something to offer them in return) we simply won’t ever be able to get the cream of the crop.

Why not look at the teams that have had success in the 21st century NHL (first team that comes to mind is Detroit) and copy their strategies? Detroit has proven that a team does not need to rebuild from the bottom up – just reload. The only real difference between the two markets is that in Montreal you have to somehow overcome the language/nationalism/pride issues.

There lies the key – if the Habs can ever learn how to avoid/ignore the storm that follows every decision the team makes, maybe we could attract the best people to Montreal, people who can do their jobs without such intense pressure. It’s a much different NHL (and world) since the 50′s and 60′s, and for years I have thought this team has been falling behind the times. The environment in which the Habs operate has been slowly dragging them down. They need to find a way to catch up.

I apologize for my longwindedness. Merry Christmas everyone.

34. C-Sword says:

The team is doing a good thing for once and that is tanking. Maybe, we’ll be cup contenders 2 years from now.

35. PeterStone says:

our top 3 Salaries are 7.35M+6M+5.75M for a total of 19.1M$ .. those 3 have a combined 6G and 16A … 22points for 19M$. Great Cap Management by the Habs Executive. Its embarassing.

• LA Loyalist says:

A lesson to GMs everywhere. Bob Gainey’s wonderful and honorable career dragged into mud in one swell foop.

Hopefully the kids’ coming will redeem his rep in due course.

• TomNickle says:

Haha. Cammalleri’s been our leading playoff scorer for two years and Gionta has been our leader through tough times and leading goal scorer overall for two seasons.

But you don’t have a problem with Gionta taking your hero’s place eh Brad?

I’m not the biggest fan of Cammalleri and Gomez but Gionta has done nothing but be an excellent captain and leader by example. Your personal feelings don’t mean he hasn’t been worth the money.

• LA Loyalist says:

I truly have nothing against Gionta as a regular player.

I think Cammi expected to be Captain and that is a big part of the problem.

As for his leadership, he lost me after Game 3 of the playoffs last year when the team didn’t even show up at home with a 2-0 lead
          Is most of that on Martin? Yeah. That was when we lost that series and that was the end of this team as currently constructed. It should have been blown up over the summer when their were more coaching options.

This is only my opinion, maybe if Gomez hadn’t bombed so badly Gionta would have had a better fate. I don’t even mind if he stays if we can get a high return for Cammi.

P.S. Koivu has been out 6 games with a groin – that’s a lot for a groin, I wonder if this is his last year. It will probably depend on if the team straightens out and what Selanne does.

Merry Christmas to you, hopefully 2012 will good to you.

• Ton says:

your messed up buddy! gainey is a hall of famer and as won several cups as a player and also has an executive. he has been advisor only and when he was at the helm, well they made it to the semi finals. be constructive and stop being well……………………….we can’t say it here.

• LA Loyalist says:

I would take 20 Gaineys on a hockey team to play. I have nothing but respect for him. I’m just saying it’s like sad that one contract could do so much damage, it’s Shakespearean, almost.

Read before you post. Thank you. As for being constructive. I set out a 3 point plan above. It’s very constructive.

• Ton says:

you referring to gomez , yes but hindsight is hindsight, it will happen in hockey> wickenhieser over savard is an ex. but he could have been worst, he let alot of players walk and there play afterwards suggested he was right. you cannot get them all right as a gm. every gm has made a bad move. including sam pollock!!

• habsnyc says:

Gainey destroyed the Stars before he messed up Montreal. Look at the team when he left, it had only oen player under the age of 25 on the roster. They drafted no one. And reight before he quit, he left them with multiyear contracts for Turgeon and Audette. He did the same to Montreal that he did to Dallas. He had a horrible losing record as a coach. He was a terrible GM. All he managed to do was buy Hicks a Cup by spending him into bankruptcy and removing all young talent from the franchise.

Everyone knows. Good organizations hire talented executives to run their teams and talented players to play on their teams. In general, players with no education, little managerial skill and no organizational experience make lousy GM’s.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• TomNickle says:

You’re saying that Gainey spent Hicks’ money that he didn’t have. I hate to break this to you(actually I don’t), but that’s on Hicks, not Bob Gainey.

That’s like you running up $100,000 in credit card debt and blaming the retailers that you purchased merchandise from.

• Ton says:

answer this> did Mr Gainey win a cup with the star? yes or no will suffice

• HabFanSince72 says:

How is that cap management though? Two of those guys are injured and one is slumping badly. How is that Gainey’s fault?

36. LA Loyalist says:

Le ReBuild(tm) 13.0

1. LeReBuild has to be timed in terms of $ and the players ages to align with the primes of the 4 P’s – Plex, MaxPax, Price and PK – 2-3 years out, same w/ Coach

2. We need a STUD #1 center. Us and 29 other teams. Unless we get some under the radar miracle like Markov was, I have no idea how this is going to happen.

3. We need a CLEAR vision of the style and character of the team. Something I screamed for when Bob blew it up the last time, and got snotted on by many posters for it. Well, the results are in.

4. We need the forum gh*sts to bless us. If you guys could get on that ASAP?

Thanks. Merry Christmas.

37. filincal says:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SCOTTY GOMEZ!!!
    May this year be the best in recent memory…
    P.s. miss you in the line-up; from a true fan.

• Danno says:

Isn’t it a strange coincidence Gomez’s birthday falls on Festivus – which is the day we have the airing of the grievances?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

• LA Loyalist says:

News flash: we (HIO) are getting sued by the Seinfeld people, since every day is Festivus around here.

PS – yesterday on a loony left atheist radio station, they were wishing each other “Happy Solstice”. Maybe Festivus is just not that hip anymore?

38. habs03 says:

Does anyone know for sure if Beaulieu is able to make the jump the AHL next season? Normal it would take a draftee atleast more 1 year or Junior, but I think beaulieu has late Birthday, can anyone confirm?

39. pierre lapuck says:

Don’t we think that it’s time to be realistic in our assessment of the team? Plek is not and should not be a #1 centre, not his kill set. We have zero top 2 d men, a bunch of potential and 5-6 guys, Markov is a question mark at best. Need a top line #1 centre, keep either DD or one of Gomez (shudder) or Gionta (shudder a little less) and get rid of the others especially if they think that they want to bring up Gallagher any time soon, one maybe two little guys but not 5! Everyone other than Eller, Price, Subban, Cole, Pac, Emelin, trade bait. And with these stiffs and a lame duck coach, we could be in the top 5 draft picks in a few short months. A lost team, no leadership, no direction, no goals.

40. an_star says:

Lol I half expected Randy to go on a rant a la Jim Mora

41. HNS says:

Forget the lump of coal in Habs fan’s stockings this year. It’s more like a lump of shite. Merry effin xmas!!!

42. Sakus Evil Twin says:

Ugh. I feel worst for RC. He may have been ‘the right man at the right time’, but he knows he’s a temporary band aid/figure head, and so do the players. Add the BS media treatment and he is going to spend the holidays in hockey purgatory knowing that if he can’t right the good ship CH he’ll be branded as the guy who couldn’t. And he’s got to know that his career could be significantly marred by this so called ‘opportunity’.

I also don’t believe that any professional sports team – especially an NHL hockey team will forcible ‘tank’ – I just don’t think it’s in their genetic makeup do this… and the risks are too great. Tanking does not come close to guaranteeing the ability to rebuild effectively. Add to that that all the Canadian teams need playoff revenue. It ain’t gonna happen. They may stink up the joint, but knowingly tanking? Nuh-huh.

No answers, just opinions. Bite me. Och.

• HabFanSince72 says:

I agree tanking is rare, but we know for a fact that Pittsburgh did it in the past. I think Chicago too.

And it’s very difficult to conclude that this isn’t Edmonton’s strategy.

• TomNickle says:

Other teams that have done it.

Columbus, Islanders, Thrashers, Capitals, Panthers, Tampa Bay.

So among the teams that have done it over the last decade or so. Two Cups have been won with approximately 38 combined seasons of tanking. Two for Chicago and five for all of the rest. And that is generous considering how long Pittsburgh tanked.

Thing is, we’re in a similar position to the Flyers and Ducks when they had bad seasons. Some excellent young talent, some good veterans and not needing a complete overhaul to get back to contention. We do in my opinion need a changing of the guard on defense.

Emelin, Subban and Gorges are the only defensemen here I would hold onto long term. Looking forward to Tinordi and Beaulieu getting into our lineup fulltime.

The Flyers’ model in their dark times would be the perfect one to follow. They moved an over the hill Forsberg for Timonen and Hartnell at a time when both were young and inexpensive.

Why not see if you could send a Cammalleri or Plekanec to Phoenix for a Gormley or Ekman-Larsson and then something in addition?

• HabFanSince72 says:

I would make a distinction between tanking (deliberately losing) and (a) sucking or (b) not spending the cap because you don’t have any fans.

Or even (c) being utterly laughably incompetent year after year (yes NY Islanders, I’m looking at you).

• TomNickle says:

The distinction is only the cause for action, it doesn’t change that these teams all traded vets for draft picks, doing business the same way.

• Welks says:

I fell bad for RC as well. Could the goat have pciked a worse time to make the coaching change. Randy hey you have the job now but you actually only have one practice ice in the next 5 games to put in a any changes. Good luck. Nothing like a boss setting some one else for failure. Goat should go at the end of the season.

43. 123456 says:

prob not a good day to ask this since very few want to comment on last nights game – anyway…

i need a hotel recommendation for my feb trip to centre bell (second ever i am so excited).

i want close to the bell center (so my young child and i can walk) and indoor pool.

ideas? my only other trip 2 years ago i stayed at martime on guy st – worked out great but the pool was so cold!!

44. habs03 says:

I’ll never cheer vs the Habs, but them losing isn’t the worst thing. Get in position for a good pick and retool because I think its a decent team having a bad season. The goal for the rest of the season should be to see what the young guys can do, Cunneyworth better not screw it up. I’m look at Eller and DD directly. With Gomez gone, we will need a number 2 C, we need to see if any of them are ready for it, or look elsewhere.

• hab1970 says:

At this point its called capitulation…there’s no point in getting mad any more…the team is sending a message upstairs….but also the lack of experience on this team is showing and the injuries are showing…
      we have a new owner…now we need new management, i hope that we have people in place that will stay and not just get jettisoned.
      its not that Martin was a bad coach he was not the coach for this team….we need consistency and we need players and coaches that are on the same wave length.

45. petesapizza says:

I spoke about pk and Eller the other day. They are to individual and not passing the puck. Cunneyworth obviously seen exactly what i seen for the past month.

This is what needs to happen ,, send down Leblanc.. he is not ready for the nhl. everyone who is bashing gomez well you have a right because he aint worth 7.5 mil. But he is missed on this team, he is always able to carry the puck in the opponents end and has better vision than 95% of the guys we have on the ice now.
    We need to get him back in the line up along with Gionta.. yeah i can hear all the gomez bashers now, no goals in 60 games, who cares its a team boys and gomez will get our power play going ,,, remember you read this on Dec 23rd..

Here is my line combinations once we get the boys back.

Kost eller cammalleri on off wing
    pacoretty pleks gionta (Moen)
    blunden DD Cole
    moen gomez darche

Replacement for Gionta until back is Moen
    Replacement for gomez is noky and for moen Weber

PK Gorges
    Campoli Gill
    Kaberle Emellin
    spare is Diaz.. once Markov back Diaz down Emellin and campoli spares..

Power play lines

pacorretty pleks Gionta/kosty
    kaberle Weber

camms DD Cole Campoli replaced by YES gomez to move puck
    Gorges Campoli..

no subban on powerplay until he starts seeing the ice an passes instead of shooting 99% and missing net or giving puck up ..PASS THE PUCK……

46. Vid says:

It’s always weird with this team how given the same group of players more or less, only one line is ever doing well. It’s like it’s forbidden to have 2-3 lines scoring in the same game. Sometimes the same line which was awesome one season can’t do squat the next season. A. Kosts-Pleks-Cammy was an awesome line a couple seasons ago but this season not so much whenever they’ve played together.

Of course now, nobody is doing well. Although we weren’t doing great with Gionta, seems like after a couple of wins, we’ve nose-dived without his presence.

Whereas the first three losses were only by 1 or 2 goals, these last two losses have been by several goals. That to me indicates a mental collapse of some sort because at least before the Habs despite a lack of talent at least kept their losses close.

I hope the Habs start seriously looking at trading some veterans for draft picks and/or prospects. I can see many teams willing to take someone like Cammalleri or Gionta to add some scoring for the playoffs. Neither are doing great now but that’s because they’re on the Habs. Very few if any players that are traded to the Habs actually do better offensively. Pouliot looked to break the trend initially but then it went south. Although I would not be in favour of it, if a good deal comes along, trade Plekanec. We seem to have a lot of players who can play center anyway (since no way we’ll ever unload gomez).

If we can trade Gill then great but otherwise just don’t resign him. I say let the kids play, learn and make mistakes…making the playoffs this year no matter what (if that’s even possible) isn’t going to improve anything long term.

47. montreal ace says:

My support for the Montreal Canadiens goes far beyond wins and losses. I have had many enjoyable experiences meeting other fans while wearing my Habs Jersey, in Canada and other parts of the world. The Montreal Canadiens have the resources to fix any problems they have, so things will straighten up. Merry Christmas to everyone and stay safe during the holidays

48. LL-not the hockey player says:

What coach can thrive in Montreal with the constant scrutiny and second-guessing?

PK and Eller need to develop for the future. RC is known to be great with young players, if nothing else. It’s too late for the veterans, let the focus be on the kids.

Add Hickey to the list of not-reading-anymore. There are posters on this site (who have disappeared lately, by the way), that have more interesting and fair analysis.

49. jon514 says:

This coach doesn’t understand the psychology of his players at all. I mean from Price’s perspective, what would be the point of stealing a game if he couldn’t savor the victory with some triple low fives?!!

“Let’s be clear on the facts…”

50. JoeC says:

Pierre has Diaz as a 7.0 last night…

WTF game did he watch?

• HabFanSince72 says:

He also states that Gorges wasn’t on the ice for any of the goals, when he was there (and flailing) on the first goal.

My guess: he just looked at the boxscore to write his report and the PP goal doesn’t get counted in +/-. Since we had no goals and Gorges is a 0, he concluded incorrectly.

51. habs-hampton says:

I switched over to the Junior game to see the future… Beaulieu, Bournival, Gallagher. Fun to watch them. Beaulieu really looked like he was having fun out there. Can’t wait to see him in a couple of years.

52. adamkennelly says:

team has no character, no chutzpa, too small, too soft – I still think that is the problem – enough talent if management would give them a better environment in which to play – you can’t have all your skilled players undersized in this league – it matters – this is a physical game…how on earth anyone benches Emelin when he is the only real physical player on this pathetic team is beyond me.

53. --Habs-- says:

My take on this whole situation! Molson has silently decided to tank the team, something I’ve been saying for almost 2 years! Firing Martin was an agreement not a firing! Martin wanted no part of tanking the team simply based on reputation and his possible next position! In the eyes of the fans Molson knows he has an excuse that he tried to shake things up. Molson can’t come out and say I want the team to tank so this is his silent way of doing it! So he’s setting it up to tank and RC is going to be an innocent bystander of which he’s already been told there will be a replacement. In my eyes its way too obvious. Too many players just doing a lot of nothing and their faces on the bench don’t show desperation as much as commentators are trying to portray.

54. habs03 says:

Blunden is the new Darche under Cunneyworth, I can’t believe he sat Eller, Subban I understand but Eller. While JM wasn’t my ideal coach for this team, its clear that JM was able to have this team play over its head.

55. zedder81 says:

My Christmas present,
    Sack Guathier
    Sack Cunneyworth
    Trade for anything the following
    Gill
    Kaberle
    Gomez
    Moen
    Gionta
    Cammy
    Weber

Let the kids play and start sorting this out for next year.

In my life the Habs have won 8 Stanley Cups and the Leafs 0. How can you put a value on that?

• habs-hampton says:

i agree except for Gill and Moen. They would be fine if they were allowed to play their intended roles. Gill should play 10 minutes including penalty killing. He is a big part of the the one area this teams excels at. Moen belongs on thr 3rd or 4th line and is a good fit there.

56. RGM says:

Hickey’s “Price is not right” statement does have a ring of truth to it. Price hasn’t been a lights-out, brick wall in net of late but even if he were, the dude still can’t score. Of those 18 goals against him, maybe 2-3 were ones that you can hang squarely on him. Because the Habs’ system is to collapse around the goalie, most of the goals against come from pressure by the opposing team from a very close range. The majority of the goals scored on the Habs come from low in the slot or the lip of the crease. Sure there’s some 30+ footers but there’s way more cross-crease plays, deflections, and tap-ins that come as a result of blown coverage.
    Here’s the NHL.com Ice Tracker of the recent games. Look how close all those markers are:
    Winnipeg – http://www.nhl.com/ice/icetracker.htm?id=2011020504
    Chicago – http://www.nhl.com/ice/icetracker.htm?id=2011020495
    Boston – http://www.nhl.com/ice/icetracker.htm?id=2011020481
    New Jersey – http://www.nhl.com/ice/icetracker.htm?id=2011020468

Just about all of them come from in close. There’s not many shots from the point that are getting by Price, it’s the down-low stuff that is beating them. Defensive drills need to focus more on that area of the ice. Won’t be easy given the undersized D to clear bodies and (legally) tie up sticks but it’s what they have to do.
    ———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
    Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

57. Moose says:

The Montréal Canadiens can rebuild all they want. They will have no goalie with which to rebuild around. There is no goalie worth his salts that will come near Montréal or any UFA player except for Cole.

58. Cam_1 says:

It’s over over over over !

59. Danno says:

Happy Festivus everybody!

Let the airing of the grievances begin!

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

60. shiram says:

Gorges has been our best player for a long while now, and pairing him with Emelin seems to be a good idea. Gorges should wear the C, and Gio is definately one I would not not miss if he was traded.

Subban should play with Gill, Skillsie was always keeping him in check and his experience can do a world of good for Subban.
    Gorges-Emelin and Gill-subban is your top 4 D pairing.
    After that, probably Kabs and a rotation of Diaz and Campoli.

I turned off the game last night just when the 2nd period started, I have very little confidence in this team having the skills for coming back from deficit, turns out that was a great decision.
    4th line is pathetice, and Blunder on the 3rd just drags that line down as well.
    Eller sitting was weird, but he is not producing, so I guess some time off to watch the game from the galery is not too bad.

It’s very frustrating, but I’m already looking forward to next season, I think I’ve given up on this one.
    Yeah Habs are 4 points out of playoffs spot, but they got games in hand and to move up, they need a decent winning streak.
    Goals against is slipping,while goals for was never really there.

So yea, already looking forward to next season….. this sucks.

Ironic signature is ironic

61. --Habs-- says:

The Canadian women’s hockey team would put up a better fight. Now that would be a wake-up call! All you boys are sitting out tonight. We’ve signed the girls up for the balance of the season to turn it around!!!!

62. habs03 says:

When is RDS and the French press going start looking at players like Lecavalier, Briere, who had a chance but declined to come to MTL before bashing the Habs for not wanting Gagne and Denis Gauthier when their were washed up, why wasn’t Gagne’s agent asking to be traded to MTL when he was in his prime, and why wasn’t Gauthier will to take a pay cut to play for the Habs when he actually was a decent player?

63. jsmaximus says:

Enough! Fire Gauthier and Cunneyworth. Appoint Gainey coach and force him to preside over this disgraceful mess he created until the end of the season. Send Gomez down to Hamiltion. Trade prima donnna Cammalleri for a bag of soggy chips. Read PK the riot act. Take the Les Glorieux glasses off when it comes to Price’s increasingly weak performances. Bring in a hard-arse coach, irrespective of language, who will knock this squad of wankers into shape. We fans deserve better and it is time Molson wakes up to this fact.

64. CanadienBoy says:

Hope they hit rock bottom ,there something going on between all those guys may be Molson should take a walk with Price before he get tired of all the BS

65. Moose says:

Carey & his agent need to go to PG over Christmas & demand a trade. Price’s career is going down the crapper playing in Montreal.

66. Moose says:

Is Hickey blind?

“The Price isn’t right: It’s unfair to blame goaltender Carey Price for the Caadiens’ skid when he doesn’t get any support but he has given up at least three goals in each of his last five starts. He has allowed 18 goals in that period”.

3 goals last night he did not have much of a chance on!

67. 24moreCups says:

Can’t wait for the World Juniors that should be exciting at least.

68. AndyF says:

A challenge to you all:

Would you rather spend springtime celebrating the fact that the Habs went 2 rounds in the playoffs, having enjoyed 3 weeks of fun

… or ….

would you rather look forward to a first or second overall draft pick, who might benefit us for years to come

?

Think about it: do we, as Habs fans, have the discipline to forego a couple of weeks of candy in May so that we can have a a real superstar of our own for 10 years or more?

69. habs03 says:

I think PG has done a decent job since becoming GM, especially in trading Halak, and also hiring some really good scouts for the draft, but I think its time to move on.

70. Moose says:

Did you say something Cammalleri? All I hear is BLAH BLAH BLAH

71. Curtis O Habs says:

It is pretty sad when your lineup would look better with Gomez in it.

72. HabsPEI31 says:

Oye vey.

I used to be disappointed watching the Habs struggle against the Hartford Whalers in the late 80′s to early 90s.

Now I’m disappointed by the second clearly mailed in effort this season. First against the depleted Pens, now the Jets! Throw in the Martin-Cunneyworth stuff, the whole idiotic language debate (I’ve posted my thoughts on this before. Pls remember, I’m a Habs fan first, a Quebecer second).

The two weeks is the major reason the team is in the turmoil it presently finds itself. Cunneyworth is the most unfortunate soul out there right now, and I wish him the merriest of Christmases. He’s going to need it, yet I trust he can find a way for our boys.

I’m hoping the Christmas pause will allow these guys to recover from this whole mess, regroup and come together as a team. Last night was CLEARLY not a team willing to play for each other.

“Only a goalie can appreciate what a goalie goes through.” – Jacques Plante

73. piter says:

Seems like to me that Cammy has issues with Cunny. Maybe the management. But I bet Cammy is the first to be traded. Just something in his voice, not taking any responsibility on his own. It doesn’t sound like he’s on the same page as everyone else. Maybe he should listen to Price, he knows what the lowdown is. Maybe he wants to be traded, just Gauthier better trade him to a basement team, he doesn’t deserve to be sent to a contender.

• G-Man says:

From what Cammy was saying, he has issues with the “keep it simple” plays the team has been making. In other words, he really tired of Dmen and forwards dumping the puck in instead of making plays. He is right, but his production this season makes it seem that he doesn’t care. He does, but he isn’t the coach and can’t dictate how the team plays.

74. G-Man says:

-repeated from ALN-
    The Wreck of the Montreal Canadiens

With apologies to Gordon Lightfoot:

The legend lives on from Montrealers on down
    of the big isle they called Hochelaga.
    The isle, it is said, never gives up her dead
    when the skies of December go gaga.
    With a load of huge contracts of 64 million or more
    the good ship Canadien was empty,
    That good ship and crew was a bone to be chewed
    when Boone blogged all verklempt(y).

The team was the pride of the Quebec side
    Out on a trip to Manitoba.
    As the big teams go, it was smaller than most
    with a crew and good coach well seasoned,
    Concluding with loses and bold finger tosses
    when they left fully loaded for Boston.
    And later that night when the score went out of sight,
    could it be JM’s ghost they’d been feelin’?

The puck in the twine made a tattle-tale sound
    and a siren broke through the silence.
    And ev’ry man knew, as the captain did too
    That this game was only mindless violence.
    The dawn came late and the new head coach learned of hate
    For a language he knew not much of.
    When 4 losses came during freezin’ rain
    The scribes were writing their obits.

Does any one know where the love of God goes
    when the games turn the minutes to hours?
    The reporters all say they’d have made hay
    if they’d put fifteen more goals behind ‘er.
    They looked split up and they were cap-sized;
    Save they couldn’t score when it mattered.
    And all that remains is the faces and the names
    of the bloggers and trolls that nattered.

Bob Gainey rolls, Gauthier sings
    in the rooms of his vegetable mansion.
    Old Molson brews and Cunneyworth screams;
    “It looks like I’ve been set up!”
    And farther below where the fans liked to go
    There’s a bar that will tend them.
    As the standings go as those fans all know
    with the Cups of Lord Stanley remembered.

In a musty old hall in Montreal they prayed,
    in the old Habitants Cathedral.
    The church bell chimed ’til it rang twenty-three times
    for each man on the good ship Canadien.
    The legend lives on from Montrealers on down
    of the big isle they called Hochelaga.
    The isle, it is said, never gives up her dead
    when the skies of December go gaga.

75. Moose says:

That’s ok. Carey Price will not be a part this, another rebuild.

Shiloh, I’ll tell you who waved at a couple last night – Campoli, Kaberle and Gill.

The Campoli experiment needs to end. Gorges/Emelin, Subban/Kaberle and Gill/Diaz until further notice.

77. RGM says:

That’s the thing, though. As far as some segments of the fanbase/media are concerned, language > will to win. I don’t believe in my heart of hearts that P.K. Subban or Brian Gionta is damning Molson & Gauthier for appointing Cunneyworth as the coach, or giving it anywhere near as much thought as “I know I have to be better to help the team get back on track.”

———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
    Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

78. Danno says:

Ottawa did it too and even admitted to it.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

79. TomNickle says:

I don’t think I would go as far as to say that Boston tanked. When they traded Thornton they signed Chara.

80. TomNickle says:

Championship teams aren’t built by letting your championship calibre players leave.

If you’re going to let somebody go via offer sheet, it isn’t those players.

Acquiring picks right now is a good idea. But at the expense of the veterans, not the players we need to lead this team towards Cup runs.

81. Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

I’m with Tom on this one.

If we are to rebuild, you don’t sacrifice Price and PK just because you could get a plethora of picks. Price and PK are exactly the kind of players you HOPE to get through the draft. Even if we get a bunch of picks, there is no guarantee that ANY of those turn into a Price or a PK, let alone both.

Trade Cammalleri, Gionta, Gill, Moen, Campoli and maybe even Plekanec and Gorges if the returns are right, but do not trade (or let go via offer sheet) any of Price, PK, Eller, Cole, Pacioretty, Emelin. Those are the guys we need to surround with more talent.

82. habsnyc says:

if the offense is in the bottom of the league and the defense has no talent and the only potential superstar is in nets. then letting him leave before he even reaches his prime means this team will be league worst for the four years it will take to draft and develop another goalie. it would be idiotic to lose Price to an offer sheet.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

83. G-Man says:

Based on their seasons thus far, no GM is going to give either player an offer sheet.
    Championship teams are not built by losing with a purpose. If that were true, the Laffs, Blue Jackets, etc, etc, would be in a position to win by now. Looking at the standings, they ain’t.

84. NCRhabsfan says:

I love Price, but what you’re saying has merit. Looked at simply, Price cost us a 1st round pick. If you get four years of performance out of him and then flip that for 2 1st round picks, a 2nd round pick and a 3rd round pick, that’s just good business. It’s like buying a house, living in it for four years and then selling it for enough to buy two similar houses, an apartment in Florida and a cottage in Tremblant. I also agree that having a great goalie on a crap team is a sure fire recipe to go nowhere fast. But if you use all those picks well…

85. habsnyc says:

the team has been in this position a couple times over the last decade. Each time, the GM said he would follow your formula, but actually did the exact opposite.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

86. Ton says:

lets get the facts straight gainey let walk Koivu, kovelev, and 3 others if you recall that were all over 30 years old in one year. do yoyu know who the other were. get the facts straight people.

87. TomNickle says:

JVR. But something tells me they’ll be more interested in Suter or Weber.

And if I were Pierre Gauthier, or Geoff Molson possibly. I’d be moving heaven and earth to ensure that the Flyers don’t get their hands on Shea Weber. If they do, you can just go ahead and print their name on the Cup for the next three years.

88. Strummer says:

Why don’t we try to pry someone in Flyers management instead of one of their players?
    That’s where it starts- at the top.
    We need to find a top-notch player personnel/development from successful organizations like Philly, Detroit,SJ or Vcr.

These teams don’t win cups for the most part but their teams always compete.

Who’s gonna scare a player Homlgren or Gauthier? Molson or Snyder. Ass-kicking starts at the top.
    Panthers pulled Dale Tallon out of the unemployment line and its paying dividends.

______________________________________________________

89. habsnyc says:

you mean he didn’t trade them for draft picks when he had the opportunity to stock up for the future? instead he let the entire team go for nothing? then signed a bunch of guys who would end up being with this team at the same stage in their careers when koivu et al were no longer desirable?

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

90. HabFanSince72 says:

Unless that player is Paul Coffey of course:

Edmonton / 1988

Pittsburgh / 1992

Detroit / 1997

all traded him the year they won the cup.

91. TomNickle says:

And Chris Pronger of course. I don’t think I’d be willing to follow a model that’s worked with two players in thirty years though.

92. HabFanSince72 says:

I don’t think any team won the cup after trading Pronger.

However our 1993 cup came after we ditched Chelios.

93. TomNickle says:

I thought you were referring to winning a cup with the player and then trading him. Not sure what got me on that train of the thought.

94. LA Loyalist says:

Chelios was a unique situation (not to lift THAT rock). Do you realize that Ronald Corey was attached to 2 of our worst disasters? (Losing Chelios and losing Roy?)

P.S. I saw Chelios recently his skin is, like, orange. I am serious. What’s up with that?

95. LA Loyalist says:

Exactly.

Le BlowUp 2.0 might have been more palatable if Koivu and Kovy etc. had been traded for picks.

96. Ton says:

because there were no value in those players, they prove it the year after with their new teams ex. Huet (he got a second rounder by the way!). appraise him on the fact that he made it to the semi finals with the new group, bob was a hero then wasn’t he. new generation hab fans have become unreasonable and there only spoiled by the past they weren’t part of.

97. LA Loyalist says:

I would LOVE Coutourier! Yikes. What would it take to get him?

98. Danno says:

Towel bombers?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

99. LA Loyalist says:

Thanks for asking. I was embarrassed to ask :-) Maybe a bad translation from French? (“Les Bombers du Carre”)

My favorite bad translation from Korean into English is “Aroma” – there is a church van that drives around “The Aroma of Jesus”. I am not kidding. In Korean it must mean “Essence” or “Spirit”…

Towel Bombers?

100. Danno says:

I guess the mods have the day off today.

Peace on Earth.

God loves everyone.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

101. kholdstare says:

I think Carey Price is a better goaltender. Imagine BG gave him up instead, then I can understand the hate.

102. Un Canadien errant says:

Hmmm, this is a flawed analogy. Carey Price has arrived as a frontline, franchise goaltender. He is worth more than a bunch of draft picks who may all flop. He is the proverbial bird in hand.

Your analogy, in comparing flipping a house for many more houses, is flawed. You could say you’re flipping a great house that you know is built solidly, in a good neighbourhood, in return for a pre-buy for a bunch of properties that you only saw the prospectus for. If all those houses are built and turn out as promised, that’s great, but you could also lose your deposit on something that never gets off the ground.

In effect, trading away Carey Price is trading away a sure thing for potentially more, but with inherent risks.

I’m not saying we should or shouldn’t trade or accept compensation on an offer sheet for Carey, just that the bounty of draft picks is a promise, whereas he is a known quantity.

———————————
    How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?